Seasons of Love by Stump_Pan
Summary: How different would things be if Snape went to pick up Harry instead of Hagrid?

Snapshots of how things might have been through all seven years by season.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Canon, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year, 5th summer, 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 207949 Read: 116916 Published: 10 Feb 2017 Updated: 02 Sep 2017
Summer 1993 by Stump_Pan
Harry's thirteenth birthday started off as one of his best. He received his first birthday presents from his best friends and Hagrid. Though Harry did wonder if you could call the biting book Hagrid sent his a present. But those good feelings disappeared during breakfast. Aunt Marge, who was no blood relation to Harry, as she was Uncle Vernon's equally rude sister, was coming to stay for a week.

The woman despised Harry. She would buy expensive presents for Dudley and nothing for Harry, almost goading him to ask why he wasn't getting anything. On her last visit, Harry spent hours hiding in a tree in the back garden after he accidentally stepped on the tail of her evil-tempered bulldog, Ripper. Aunt Marge refused to call him off until after midnight.

Harry made a bargain with his uncle that if he behaved himself and stuck to the ridiculous story of attending a school for juvenile delinquents, he would sign Harry's permission form to go to the village on certain weekends. Harry wished he had the ability to send messages to his friends during Aunt Marge's visit. He had to send Hedwig away. Not that his friends would have had time to reply.

As usual, Neville and his gran were visiting extended family. Hermione was in France with her parents. Even Fred and George were away.  All of the Weasleys were in Egypt, a trip paid for by their dad winning a lottery drawing.

Harry probably could have managed to make it all week with someone to talk to, getting messages of support from someone who cared for him. He almost did, even without them. He dealt with countless insults to his intelligence, his manners, even how he was doomed to be a criminal. But when Aunt Marge decided to attack Harry's parents, whom she had never met, as worthless drunks, Harry had enough. He didn't mean to, he lost control of his temper and his magic causing Aunt Marge to inflate like a great tweed balloon.

Harry ignored his uncle's pleas to put her right. Instead, Harry collected his things from his room, and the cupboard under the stairs and headed off. He couldn't be in that house one more minute. He stormed his down the block, around the corner, and up six blocks before the weight of his truck and the happenings of a few minutes ago hit him.

Harry sunk down to the curb unsure what to do. He was almost certainly expelled from Hogwarts. He had used magic outside of school, in front of, and on a Muggle too. What was there to do? He would have to go on the run.

Harry flipped open the lid of his trunk looking for his wand and broomstick. A sound behind him in the bushes startled him. He looked up. He thought he saw something that may have been a dog, but it was nearly the size of a bear. He fell over trying to step away from the approaching creature, he tripped on the curb. He lost his balance and threw out his wand to catch himself. An instant later a great purple triple-decker bus came hurtling down the street stopping only a foot from where Harry lay a moment before.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus," a teen with a lot of acne spots said jumping down from the bus. "Oi, what you doin' down there?"

"I fell over," Harry said, picking himself up and dusting himself off.

"'Choo fall over for?" the boy demanded.

"I didn't plan it," Harry grumbled. He looked back over his shoulder to see if the dog was still there, but it wasn't. He had taken the Knight Bus once if he remembered correctly it could take him anywhere that was above water. Now, the question was where should he go? Harry continued to look down the alley where the animal had been. Maybe he could get a better look at it with the light of the bus.

"'Choo lookin' at?" The uniformed teen asked.

"Nothing." It occurred to Harry he only had one place to go. "How much to go to Manchester?"

"Fifteenth sickles," he said looking over Harry. "Woss your name?"

Harry flattened his bangs over his lightning shaped scar. "Neville Longbottom," he said without a moment's hesitation. He hoped Neville's gran never found out.

Harry pulled out his money bag and shoved it at the conductor. He helped the young man load his trunk and Hedwig's cage onto the bus.

"This is our driver, Ernie Prang." The conductor said introducing Harry to the driver and as an afterthought added, "Me, I'm Stan Shunpike."

Harry took a seat on one of the half a dozen brass beds on the first floor of the bus. He wished he could sleep. Even if it were not for the bus jumping a hundred miles at a time, or swerving at the last second to avoid hitting houses, mailboxes, or telephone poles, Harry wouldn't be able to sleep.

Harry's nerves increased with every passing minute. How long would it take the Ministry to find him? What would he do if they expelled him? Did they ever get Aunt Marge off the ceiling? Most importantly, what would Professor Snape say about him showing up on his doorstep in the middle of the night? Maybe he should change his destination.

"Where in Manchester?" Stan asked.

"Err... It's just a village nearby. It's called Cokeworth.  I need to do go down by the river..." Harry racked his brain trying to remember the name of the street Snape lived on. "Spinner's End?" He guessed.

Stan disappeared to tell Ernie. He left his newspaper on the end of Harry's bed. Harry picked up the forgotten paper. The front page was filled with the picture of a pale skinned, wild-eyed man with loads of matted black hair. Harry wondered if he was a vampire.

The man, Sirius Black, wasn't a rogue vampire, but an escaped mass murderer. Black had killed thirteen people twelve years before. He had escaped from Azkaban a few days before. He was the first person ever to do so and the Ministry organized a full-fledged manhunt for him. Somewhat controversially, the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, went so far as to inform the Muggle Prime Minister.

"This your stop in a minute," Stan said returning a few moments later.

Harry grabbed onto Hedwig's cage in one hand one end of his trunk with the other. He helped Stan carry it to the front of the bus. If it wasn't magical there was no way the triple decker bus would fit in this narrow Muggle lane. They stopped in front of the last house. Harry knew it was the right one when he made out the outline of a very annoyed Potions Master.

"Potter," Professor Snape greeted his arms crossed over his chest. He was dressed in a heavy green bathrobe, his hair still messy from sleep.

"What didja call, Neville?" Stan asked excitedly.

"Nevermind, Mr. Shunpike," Professor Snape said turning back to the teenage fugitive. "Get inside, now. I will be in momentarily."

Harry made to grab his things but stopped when the professor snapped, "I will deal with it, Potter. Inside, now!"

Harry hurried up the garden path and inside the modest row house. He uneasily sat on the edge of one of the chairs in the living room. The professor came in a few moments later, the owl's cage and trunk floating before him. He landed them across the room, to the side of one bookcase. With a wave of Snape's wand a large silver shape erupted and then disappeared, almost as if it were running, before joining Harry in the living room.

"Explain," Professor Snape said softly.

Harry bit his lip.

"Potter, I do not take kindly to being woken in the middle of the night by the headmaster informing me a student has conducted several egregious violations of wizarding law and had now gone missing. This is doubly true when said student is not in my house, and it is summer holidays." Professor Snape seethed.

"Errr... I blew up my aunt....Not exploded or anything.... more like inflated...." Harry said after a moment.

The man raised a curious eyebrow. "Petunia..."

Harry shook his head, "No my other aunt, Aunt Marge."

"I am unfamiliar with this woman."

Harry shrugged, "She's Uncle Vernon's sister."

Professor Snape nodded. "And what pray tell could this Muggle have done to warrant such an action?"

Harry huffed indignantly. "I didn't mean to do it."

"You are already on very thin ice, Potter. Mind your temper."

Harry deflated and sank back into his seat. "She was talking about my mum and dad." The words were soft, almost too soft to hear in the nearly silent room.

Still, the man caught them, "I see. What did she have to say?"

"She was going on about them being drunks, worthless layabouts, and stuff," Harry said his voice becoming tight, fighting back emotion.

The man rose from his seat and began to pace back and forth before the fireplace.

"These things she was saying caused you to lose your temper?" The man said turning to look at the sullen teen.

Harry nodded, "Yes, sir." He let out a loud yawn.

The professor frowned. "Come, Potter. It is late. We can discuss this matter further in the morning."

Harry spotted a clock on the mantle. "It is morning."

"It's too early for your cheek, boy. Come," the professor said with a snort of amusement. He moved the bookcase to the left side of Harry's trunk, revealing a narrow staircase. Harry followed the man upstairs.

They turned right at the top of the stairs.

"The facilities," the man said gesturing to the door at immediately at the top of the stairs. "This is where you will sleep." Professor Snape said as he opened the door at the far end of the hall.  It was a small bedroom with faded cream walls. A single bed with a worn green bed cover stood to one side of the room, an old wooden desk was directly across from the foot of the bed.

"I can take the couch," Harry suggested.

"Bedrooms are where civilized people sleep, Potter." The man said rolling his eyes. "Certainly when the room will be of no use otherwise. My room is next to the bathroom. I will see you for breakfast where will have an in-depth discussion of tonight's events."

Harry took a seat on the bed. It had been a very strange night and it seemed like tomorrow was going to just as strange. He took off his glasses and placed them on the windowsill falling asleep before his head hitting the pillow.

"Potter," his name was accompanied by wrapping on the door.

Harry woke up very confused. It took him an instant to remember exactly where he was and what happened the night before. He ran a hand over his face to rub away the remaining tiredness.

"Potter," it was said louder this time.

"I'm awake," Harry called back.

"You will find your trunk in your room already. A towel is waiting for you in the bathroom if you choose to shower." That last part didn't sound so much like a suggestion as an order.

"OK," Harry acknowledged.

"Breakfast will be in twenty mornings."

With that, Harry heard the footsteps heading back down the hall. The creaky stairs gave away that the man had returned to the first floor. Harry grabbed some fresh clothes and his toiletries and padded down to the bathroom. He made it downstairs with two minutes to spare.

"Good morning sir," Harry said slipping into one of the two chairs at the small dining table.

"Good morning," the man said setting a plate in front of Harry.

"Thanks," Harry said picking up his fork to take a bite of eggs.

"You are welcome." Professor Snape said taking a seat across Harry. "Now Potter, I would like to discuss last night."

Harry nodded slowly taking another bite of his eggs.

"Firstly, you will be relieved to know that you are not in fact expelled from Hogwarts. Nor are you in trouble with the Ministry. You can thank the headmaster for both of those."

Harry let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding.

"Furthermore, the Ministry workers were able to set Dursley's sister to rights. Her memory was sufficiently modified that she will have no recollection of the events. The Muggles will also take you back as long as you stay at school for Christmas and Easter holidays.

"I don't ever want to go back there," Harry objected.

"Yes, well, we can't all get what we want." The Potions Master continued. "The headmaster and I have discussed the matter. We have come to the decision that it would be best for you to remain here for the remainder of the holidays."

"What?" Harry said dropping his fork shocked. "I can't do that, sir. I can't put you out that long. I could get a room in the Leaky Cauldron or..."

Professor Snape snorted. "It was not an invitation, Potter. This is for your safety."

Harry frowned, puzzled. "My safety?"

The man nodded. "Your safety," he confirmed. "As you live with Muggles who may not pay attention to current events, you may not be aware of the convict on the loose."

"Sirius Black?" Harry guessed.

"Yes, Black." There was a clear note of contempt in the man's voice at the name. "There is reason to believe he may have plans to come after you."

"Why?" Harry demanded.

"That is unclear. Black was believed to be a great supporter of the Dark Lord."

"You don't think he was?" Harry asked.

"I am uncertain. What is known, is Black murdered one of his best friends and twelve Muggles after the fall of the Dark Lord."

"How do we know he wants to come for me?" Harry repeated.

"In the last few days before the escape, Black was heard saying, 'he's at Hogwarts'." The professor explained.

Harry sighed.

Professor tried to reassure the boy in front of him, "The Ministry is doing everything they can to catch Black as soon as possible. There will also be increased security measures at the school. There is no reason for you to be concerned, Potter."

"OK," Harry said reluctantly.

"Good. Now, if you are finished eating you can do the dishes. When you are done with that I expect you to work on your assignments until lunch. There will be no excuse for you handing in the normal drivel you call summer homework. You also need to complete the essay I assigned you after your stunt in the Chamber of Secrets."

Harry picked at the few remaining bits of food for several more minutes before clearing both his and the professor's dishes. It didn't take long to complete the chore, even doing it the Muggle way. Harry returned to the room upstairs and started working on his Transfiguration essay. He worked in the comfortable silence out from under Professor Snape's feet until the call of, "Potter," drew him back to the kitchen for lunch. Harry tired of working on essays helped the Potions Master prepare ingredients and portions for Madam Pomfrey for the upcoming term for several hours and then volunteered to cook dinner.

Professor Snape insisted they accomplish Harry's school shopping as soon as possible. Harry knew that man wanted the least chance of running across his students. Even if he was under a glamour, he didn't like seeing them Harry knew. If Harry hadn't needed new robes Professor Snape informed him he would have just collected Harry’s supplies himself. Instead, it was a very quick trip to get the basics in both the wizarding and Muggle worlds. 

The entire trip to London Harry had to listen to the professor deride his choice of new courses.  Harry got cuffed upside the head when he tried to argue he had no one to ask about what classes he should take.  If he didn’t know better, he would have thought Professor Snape was insulted Harry hadn’t consulted him.  

This wasn't how Harry planned on to spend the last three weeks of his vacation. He was certain the man he was staying with never anticipated playing his host to any student, let alone, the golden Gryffindor, Harry Potter, for multiple weeks. Still, the pair fell into a comfortable rhythm. The professor rose earlier than the teen, so he would make tea and breakfast. Harry would wash the dishes before returning upstairs to work on his homework. If need be, Harry knew he could ask for assistance, a pleasant change from living with the Dursleys. After the lunch again prepared by the adult, Harry would assist with the man's work. Some days that was in the man's private lab, other times it was out in the gardens. Harry would make dinner and do the dishes afterward. In the evenings, the two then might have a game of chess or just read silently.

One evening, a few days after Harry arrived at Spinner's End, the fireplace flared to life. Harry and the professor sat across from one another a chessboard between them, looked up together as Dumbledore's head was floated in the green flames. "Good evening, Severus. May I step through?"

"Like I could stop you," the Potions Master grumbled only loud enough for Harry to hear. Still, he waved his hand to permit the ancient wizard entry.

"Harry, my boy," Dumbledore greeted the teen after coming through the fireplace.

"Hello sir," Harry greeted distractedly in return.

"How are you enjoying your holidays?"

"They're fine, sir," Harry said still considering his next move.

"What can I do for you, Albus?" Professor Snape said rising from his chair.

"Oh nothing, Severus. I have come to tell you I have located a the new Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor," Professor Dumbledore said taking a seat next to Harry. He moved the boy's bishop to put Snape in check.

"And what sort of unqualified hack are you saddling us with this year?" Professor said not bothering to look up from the board.

Dumbledore made to move one of Snape's pieces, but his hand was smacked away by an irritated Potions Master. "I think you will find the new candidate very qualified. He has an exceptional knowledge of defensive magic, dark creatures specifically. He was in your year at school."

"Potter, upstairs," Professor Snape ordered, gesturing to the hidden steps.

"But," Harry protested.

"Now," the man insisted.

Harry rushed to comply. He didn't want to put his host in a worse mood than he seemed to be heading for. Harry had only been snapped at like that after nearly getting himself killed.

Harry could hear muffled yelling, all in Snape's obstructed baritone for the next quarter of an hour. It was another thirty minutes before Harry braved going downstairs. The headmaster was no longer there. Professor Snape sat sipping a glass of a rich amber liquid, alcohol of some sort from the smell. He wouldn't tell Harry why he was so upset, just that he believed the headmaster was a fool for making such a selection at this time.  Harry heard the man mumbling curses about his future colleague off and on for the next week and a half before he left for the start of term.

Harry did his best to stay out of the man's way as he looked for a book to read after giving up on his current choice. There were more than enough to choose from. Harry spent the last several days working on a thick tome he found one evening seeking a break from his studies. He didn't keep reading it because he particularly enjoyed it. Actually, he found it rather boring so far, but the inscription had caught his attention. Harry wanted to see if he could understand what it meant by reading the book. At the rate he was going, he might be out of Hogwarts before he finished it.

"What are you reading, Potter?" The man asked looking up from his potions journal on one of their last nights at Spinner' End.

Harry turned the book to show him the cover and said, "David Copperfield."

The professor raised a curious eyebrow, "Are you a fan of Dickens?"

Harry shook his head. "There is an inscription..."

"Yes, your mother presented that to me for my twelfth birthday. She thought I might identify with young Mr. Copperfield. You may keep it if you wish."

"Sir," Harry objected.

The man held up his hand to stop Harry's words."You have very few things that are connected to your mother, Harry. That was one of her favorite novels. It should belong to you. Call it a belated birthday present if you must."

"Thanks," Harry said tucking the book a bit closer to his chest.

Professor Snape under another glamour dropped Harry off at the train station well before ten the morning of the first of September. There were a number of witches and wizards already dropping off their children. Harry left his things in the last compartment not wanting to be bothered by most of the students. He went out to joined the arriving students catching up with his friends and fellow Gryffindors.

Harry helped Neville put his things in their compartment before joining the boy and his grandmother on the platform once more. Neville proudly displayed his new wand, thirteen-inch cherry and unicorn hair wand, a gift from his grandmother replacing his father’s damaged wand.  It was a reward for the boy’s repeated acts of bravery, she informed Harry.  Neville's gran had heard from Dumbledore what Harry did running away after blowing up his aunt.  The headmaster had contacted her to see if Harry had sought refuge there after the incident. The man updated her once Harry was located, even the fact he used Neville's name in the process. She made her displeasure clear to Harry about that. So Harry was more than relieved when Mrs. Weasley rescued him, by pulling him away to say hello. Hermione arrived a short time afterward.

When the trio returned to their compartment to put Hermione's things in, but it was no longer empty. A man sat in the corner, his head rest against the window, fast asleep.

"Who's he?" Hermione asked.

"Professor R. J. Lupin," Neville read from the case above their heads. "But what's he teaching?"

"Defense," Harry answered without thinking.

Hermione and Neville looked at him surprised.

"It's the only opening, isn't it? Besides, Dumbledore came to tell Snape while I was there." Harry explained. He looked at the man. He looked older than Professor Snape. This man already was very grey at the temples, he looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over. His robes were rather worn and frayed. What could Snape object to so much?

Harry caught Hermione up on the happenings of his summer. He explained all about blowing up his aunt, spending the last three weeks at Snape's. Harry also informed both of them all about what the professor said about Black and how he wanted to kill Harry.

“Oh no, Harry,” Hermione moaned.  “Harry, you need to be really careful.  You can’t go and get in any sort of trouble this year.”

“It’s not like I go looking for trouble,” Harry complained, “It just finds me.”

The train continued its long roll up the countryside, the weather getting increasingly darker and wetter. Professor Lupin slept on. They ignored him as best they could. Hermione’s new pet cat, Crookshanks, seemed to like him.  The flat-faced, bow-legged, orange beast had curled up in the professor’s lap as soon as Hermione released him from his wicker basket.  The man didn’t wake when the witch came by with the snack trolley. She reassured the worried teens he could find her up with the driver if he wanted something after he woke up.

The dark skies turned to heavy rains as the day passed on. The train slowed and stopped.

“What’s going on?” Neville asked.

“We can’t be there yet, can we?” Harry asked.

Hermione checked her watch, “No, it’s too early.”

“There’s somebody out there,” Neville said looking out of the window.

The lights went out, the door began to slide open.

 “Who's there?” Harry asked.

“Ginny, I was looking for my brothers,” she said identifying herself.

“They’re not here,” Harry told her, “but you can stay.”

Ginny moved to take a seat, “Not here, I’m here.” Harry warned. She moved over.

“Quite!” A raspy voice ordered.

The instantly quieted down. The door slid open once more, Harry saw a long rotten looking hand slinking out from the sleeve of a long black robe. And it was dark…someone was screaming… a woman was screaming...“Not Harry! Please, not Harry!”

The lights were back on, Harry realized that he was on the floor.

The professor was kneeling next to him, “Are you alright, Harry?”

“Who was screaming?” Harry asked as he sat back up.

“Nobody was screaming, Harry,” Hermione said nervously.

“Yeah, Ginny was shaking like mad though,” Neville told him.

A snapping sound drew their attention away from Harry’s questions.

“Here, take this,” Professor Lupin said handing a particularly large piece of chocolate to Harry. “I need to have a word with the driver.”  He said heading out of the sliding door.

“What happened?” Harry asked.

“I don’t know,” Neville said. “There was this big hooded thing, it came in the compartment.”

“Professor Lupin said, ‘None of us are hiding Sirius Black under our cloaks.’ When it didn’t leave he did something to cause a glowing light and then it disappeared.” Hermione explained.

“I haven’t poisoned that chocolate you know,” Professor Lupin said coming back into the compartment.

Harry took a bite, he was right he did feel a bit better.  “What was that thing?” He asked.

“It was a Dementor, one the guards of the wizarding prison Azkaban,” Professor said smoothly.  He was carefully watching Harry. The boy shifted slightly uncomfortably under his gaze. 

The train did arrive at the station a few minutes later.  Harry stared at the coaches.  When he first rode in them on his way to the station at the end of the first year they were horseless.  There was nothing pulling them, now there was a great black skeletal winged horse.  Harry got into the carriage without mentioning it to his friends.  They were worried enough about him as it was with a mass murderer wanting to kill him and passing out when nobody else did.  Harry sat back a closed his eyes as the passed the winged-pig gates to the grounds.  Two more of those hooded Dementors stood one on each side.

Apparently, the news of Harry’s collapse not only passed like wildfire all over the train but to the castle as well. Professor McGonagall collected him and Hermione before they could make it into the Great Hall to join their classmates for the Welcoming Feast.  Madam Pomfrey came to check his vitals and nearly dragged him off to the Hospital Wing.  Luckily, Harry insisting he felt fine and already had chocolate was enough to placate the overbearing matron.  Harry had no idea what the deputy headmistress wanted Hermione for, but it only took them a few moments to discuss.  The three were back with the rest of the school in time to have Draco do an overdramatic impersonation of Harry collapsing on the train, hear Professor Dumbledore warn the entire student body not to try and sneak by or fool the merciless Dementors, and introduce the new professors: Care of Magical Creatures, Hagrid (the biting book made much more sense now) and Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor, Remus Lupin.  The applauses were rather limited, but Harry’s were among the loudest.  Harry didn’t miss the sullen expression of this enthusiasm on the Potions Master’s sallow face. Harry couldn’t help but wonder once more why did he hate the man so much.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3382