Seasons of Love by Stump_Pan
Summary: How different would things be if Snape went to pick up Harry instead of Hagrid?

Snapshots of how things might have been through all seven years by season.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Canon, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year, 5th summer, 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 207949 Read: 116904 Published: 10 Feb 2017 Updated: 02 Sep 2017
Winter 1994 by Stump_Pan

"Harry when are you going to start trying to solve your egg?" Hermione asked several days after the first task.

"I've got ages, Hermione." Harry dismissed as he tucked into his plate of eggs and bangers.

"The second task is in February, Harry. That's two and a half months away.  What if you have to brew a special potion that takes an extended amount of time?  Remember it took us a month to brew the Polyjuice in second year."

"Hermione, the first task was dragons. You really think they would go from that to brewing?"

"I don't know," Neville interjected. "Professor Dumbledore said it was going to test your magical knowledge in all sorts of ways.  Makes sense you might have to brew something."

"Great," Harry grumbled. "Snape would love that. Can you imagine if I do have to brew a potion?"

Hermione frowned in confusion. "I don't know what you're saying, Harry? You do fine in Potions."

"I do okay, well enough to get by without too many snarky comments.  But he knows I don't like, that I hate how long it takes. If it is a potion, it'll probably have a hundred disgusting ingredients that I'll have to chop up, skin, crush with a silver blade, or some other rubbish." Harry elaborated with a particularly violent stab to a bit of egg.

"You never seemed to bothered by it during class," Neville observed.

Harry shrugged. "Wouldn't do me much use, we can't drop Potions until sixth year anyway."

"Still, where's this coming from?" Hermione asked placing a comforting hand over Harry's.

"Nowhere...just something Professor Snape said during our last lesson." Harry shrugged, uncomfortable with the direction of the conversation. For the first time since coming to Hogwarts, there were things going on with Harry he wasn't allowed to share with his friends. He thought he understood why Professor Snape didn't want him telling them.  Still, Harry didn't like hiding things from the people he cared about.   Neville and Hermione had been by his side since the first train ride from London. It felt like they deserved to know what was going on now.

"You know you can tell us anything, Harry?" Hermione said squeezing his hand.

Harry shook his head. "I'm not allowed to."

"Who won't allow you?" Neville asked looking concerned.

"Professor Snape, but it's nothing. It's just these lessons get inside your head and make your emotions run all high and things." Harry tried to explain.

"Maybe you could talk to Madame Pomfrey about?" Neville suggested.

"I'm fine," Harry insisted, "really."

"If you change your mind," Neville encouraged.

"Thanks, Neville. We better get a move on, you know how McGonagall is about being late."

Professor McGonagall ended class a little earlier than normal, so she could talk to them about something important, the Yule Ball, a traditional part of the Tri-Wizard Tournament. It was to be held on Christmas night. All students fourth year and above were welcome to attend. Those who wished could bring a younger student may. The piece of information that really concerned Harry was he and the other champions were expected to open the dancing. Therefore, going stag wasn't an option for Harry.

The ball was probably why so many choose to stay for the holidays that year. It seemed like all anyone could talk about. It had been a week and Harry still didn't have a date. He didn't know who he wanted to ask or how to go about doing it. His godfather had given him the same advice the twins had, just walk up to the girl and ask her. Neither were any help on who to ask. Remus was slightly more useful in this regard, he was very understanding and suggested asking a friend, Hermione perhaps. It should be someone whose company he enjoyed.

"Hermione," Harry asked that evening over dinner.

"What is it, Harry?"

"Do you have a date for the Yule Ball?"

"Oh, Harry. I'm sorry, but I do." Hermione said.

"It's okay," Harry said,

Ron leaned over, "She's lying, I bet.  Just doesn't want you to know nobody's asked her." If he was trying to say it softly enough that Hermione didn't hear, he failed miserably.

"For your information Ronald Weasley, somebody already asked me last week. Otherwise, I would have been very happy to accompany Harry." Hermione snapped at the ginger.

"Who then?"

"That's none of your concern." Hermione snapped her book shut and stormed off.

"That wasn't very nice, Ron," Harry said still looking to where his friend had gone.

Ron shrugged. "I still reckon she doesn't have a date."

Harry stared as the other boy went back to shoving his dinner into his face. He would have to find someone else to ask. He wasn't really friends with Lavender or Parvati, anyways Hermione told him Lavender already said yes to Seamus. Neville had come back beaming the first evening having asked and been accepted by Ginny. Harry felt slightly better when he heard he wasn't the only one that didn't have a date. Ron was still asking pretty much any girl he came across. The funniest one was when he tried asking Fleur Delacour. She had all but laughed in his face, mortified at his own acts Ron had retreated back to the Tower complaining of being overwhelmed by her Veela powers.

Harry was getting increasingly anxious. He needed to ask someone, he didn't want to look like a fool in front of the whole school. Even now he still didn't know who he was going to ask. The following night he was walking back to Gryffindor Tower, ache and sweaty from his hour long lesson with Professor Snape when he spotted Luna standing on tip-toe trying to retrieve a violently green shirt from the top of a suit of armor.

"Let me help you with that," Harry said rushing forward. "Accio shirt."

"Thank you, Harry," Luna said accepting the rescued clothing item.

"It's no problem," Harry said pushing a lock of hair out of his eyes. "If it's yours, how did it get up there?"

"Some of my Housemates think I'm quite mad. They think it's funny to hide my things sometimes." Luna explained.

"You shouldn't let them do that. You should tell a teacher," Harry told her horrified.

Luna shook her head, golden hair falling into her eyes, "Oh no, it's all in good fun. But as I'm going home in a few days it's time to start collecting things."

"Going home?" Harry asked dumbly.

"For the holidays," Luna clarified.

"Right..." Harry agreed uneasily.

Luna started to skip back down the hall, lost in her own world once more. He made up his mind.

"Luna! Luna wait up?" Harry asked taking off after her.

She waited patiently for Harry to speak. Harry gulped awkwardly, still not saying a word. Luna cocked her head to the side as if looking for something others couldn't quite see.

Harry shifted his feet, "Err...do you...do you want to come to the Yule Ball with me?"

Luna smiled sweetly at him. "Yes."

Harry grinned. They said good night and Harry walked back up to the Gryffindor Tower in a much better mood than he left Snape's office.  He found his friends sitting in front of the fire Ron and Neville in a rather intense game of chess. Hermione gave him a penetrating look.

"What has you so excited?" She asked pushing the ginger cat from her lap.

"What?" Harry asked, being drawn back to reality.

"You're grinning like a kneazle at the cream," Ron observed.

"Huh, oh, it's nothing. I just have a date to the Yule Ball." Harry said with a shrug.

"Great for you, mate. Now it's only me who doesn't have a date."

After Hermione's outburst in the Great Hall, he had stopped making comments about not believing Hermione had a date.  It had only taken, Ginny and both the twins telling him off to do it. Harry still wasn't sure if Ron believed her, or he didn't want to hear about it from his siblings again.

"Who you going with?" Ron asked taking Neville's knight.

"Luna," Harry said stopping Crookshanks from swatting at the game board.

"Luna? You're taking Looney Lovegood? Ahhh.. geese mate... It might be better if you went stag."

"Don't call her that." Harry snapped.

"At least Harry has a date, Ronald. I don't see them lining up to go with you." Hermione pointed out.

"Yeah, well, if they're all as mad as Looney Lovegood, I'm ok with that."

"That's a horrible thing to say," Neville said moving his queen into position, "Checkmate."

Ron looked down at the board, sighed and tipped his king. "You might think it's horrible, but you've never had he go off on you about blimpie care or whatever. She's completely mad."

"That doesn't mean you should talk about her that way." Neville insisted.

Ron rolled his eyes, "Whatever." He stormed off up the stairs to the boys' dormitory.

"Well, I'm glad you found somebody, Harry," Hermione said putting aside her book.  "But you might want to be more like Neville and take Professor McGonagall's dance lessons more seriously. You do have to open the floor, remember?"

Harry groaned, "Yeah, I remember."

"Don't worry, I'll help you." Neville insisted.

Harry nodded, "Thanks."

Harry tried to hid his embarrassment when Dean, Seamus, and the Weasley twins found the two of them practicing a few days later. At least, we who it was the story wasn't as likely to get out of Gryffindor Tower. Harry was certain if Malfoy found out he would rather take another go at that dragon from the first task.

 
~~~*****~~~*****~~~*****~~~
 

Term came to an end for the holidays, not that you could tell by the number of people still in the castle. The professors who normally did a wonderful job of decorating the castle seemed to want to impress their visions by going even further this year. In addition to the traditional twelve Christmas trees, there were fairy lights, made of real fairies.  The suits of armor were taught to sing carols as people passed by them.

Christmas morning arrived with a pair of green eyes staring into Harry's own. Dobby had come to present his gift to Harry, by leaning over the boy much to Harry's displeasure. The house elf was instructed to just poke him the next time, or something. His gift it turned out was a pair of socks he knitted himself, one red with broomsticks and the other green with snitches. Harry felt guilty that he hadn't thought to get the elf anything, so he quickly grabbed an old pair of Uncle Vernon's socks and gave those to Dobby. The elf didn't care they weren't wrapped, or an awful mustard yellow. Though, he did seem to be confused by them matching. Ron fixed that by giving him the new violet pair his mother sent him with his sweater.

Other than Dobby's socks, the mountain of presents bigger than Harry had ever seen before. There was the traditional Weasley sweater barring a roaring dragon across the chest and a box of treacle fudge from Mrs. Weasley as well. Hermione had gotten him a book, Quidditch Teams of  Great Britain and Ireland. From Neville, he received a practice snitch.  Sirius sent a useful little penknife that could unlock any door, or undo any knot. Remus had sent a large bar of Honeydukes Best Chocolate with Sirius' present. Hagrid had sent him a collection of sweets including Chocolate Frogs, Bertie Bott's and others. There was a small plain wrapped packet that Harry had a sneaking suspicious Dobby left behind. It contained a book on wizarding first aide.


Potter,

Since you continually insist nearly getting yourself killed I thought it wise if you have some idea of how to repair the inevitable damage. SS



Harry chuckled at the snarky dedication. He was glad everyone was too busy opening their own presents to notice his reaction. He didn't think Professor Snape would like the rest of his House knowing the man sent him Christmas presents.

Much of the morning was spent in the Tower people displaying their new gifts and playing games. Lunch was delicious with at least one hundred turkeys on the menu along with all the sides. Lunch was followed by an epic snowball fight organized by Fred and George. The twins built a huge fort to hide behind as they lobbed their ammunition at their opponents, which consisted mostly of Ravenclaws. Hermione left after a little, saying she needed to go and get dressed for the ball. Ron scoffed at that, he wanted to know why she needed three hours to get ready. Harry was hit in a well-thrown snowball from one of the Ravenclaw Beaters as he tried to say goodbye to her. Neville left a short while later, he wanted to look good for Ginny. He was hit in the back one snowball after the other for making that comment in front of three of her older brothers. Slowly more and more people left, heading back to the castle to get ready for the ball. Harry and the male Weasleys were the last to leave the field of battle.

Harry took a quick shower to warm up and get the bits of dirt and twigs that had come from the snowball fight. He hadn't had to worry about shaving yet so just went back to his dorm to get dressed. His dress robes were already laid out for him, they were an emerald green. Remus told him Mrs. Weasley had picked them out, she thought they would good well with his eyes.

Harry smiled thinking about his mother. Living with Sirius and Remus he had learned a lot more about James Potter. Before this summer, he had known he resembled his father a great deal. Both from the pictures he was given by their friends, but the frequent comments from anyone who had known them.  They always said the same thing, "he looked just like his father, except his eyes. He had his mother's eyes."  He was starting to get sick of it if he were honest.

But knowing he looked like the man didn't tell him much who was as an actual person. It turned out James too got into a great deal of trouble at school. It wasn't exactly as dangerous as Harry, he never faced off Lord Voldemort until the night he died. No, his trouble was much more ordinary, skipping class, being out after hours, unsanctioned potion experiments in the back of the lab, and most often using magic in the halls. James and Professor Snape hadn't gotten along since they met on the train. Sirius and Remus never explained why.

Harry fumbled with the tie, unsure how to do the bowtie he was given by Remus to wear with his robes. He had shown Harry once the day before Harry was supposed to return to Hogwarts, but he couldn't remember any of the steps now. He left it hanging around his neck undone as he went downstairs first to the Common Room and then the Great Hall. He was supposed to met Luna at the entrance hall, but he didn't see her or Hermione. Neville and Ginny were standing in a corner talking. He waved and considered going over, but thought it would be too awkward.

"Ahhh... There you are, Potter." Professor McGonagall said coming to stand next to the teen. "You were the last champion to arrive."

"Sorry," Harry mumbled. "I didn't think I was late, but I couldn't get my tie done."

"You're not late," the headmistress reassured. "Now let me see about this tie." She moved to stand in front of Harry.  Her old and spotted hands made quick work of it. "My word, you dashing Mr. Potter. Very much like..."

"My dad?" Harry guessed.

"Like a gentleman," she corrected. "I wish Lily and James were here to see you, Potter. They would be proud of you, I'm sure."

Harry fought back a blush, "Thanks, Professor."

She straightened back up, readjusting her hat, "You're welcome, Mr. Potter. The champions and their guests are to be at the doors to the Great Hall in five minutes."

"Yes ma'am, I'll be there as soon as I find Luna."

She nodded once more and hustled off to do whatever was expected of her at the moment. Harry craned his neck looking for his date. He didn't see her anywhere. He hoped Ron wasn't right and she wasn't wearing something completely mad like radishes in her ears like the first day he met her.

"Hullo Harry," she said behind him.

Harry spun around nearly losing his balance in his slippery dress shoes. "Hi Luna," he greeted his balance regained.

Ron wasn't right, Luna could dress appropriately it turned out.  She wore a shimmery blue dress that brought out the light blue of her eyes.  In her hair, she had two lovely pins that had butterflies whose wings beat.

"You look amazing," Harry finally said.

"Thank you, Harry."

"We should...we should get down there, Professor McGonagall already warned me not to be late."

Remembering what Remus and Professor McGonagall had shown them, Harry offered his arm to Luna. They walked over easily finding the other champions using Fleur's fancily done silver hair as a beacon. Harry looked around as they walked trying to find Hermione. He knew she wasn't lying about having a date, but she wasn't here as far as he could see.

"Have the nargles gotten to you Harry?" Luna asked as he continued to look around wildly.

"The what?"

"They fly into your head and make your brain go fuzzy."
Harry frowned, "What? I was trying to find Hermione."

"Hi Harry," the girl in the frilly pink gown said.

It took Harry a moment to realize it was his best friend. Her normally bushy brown hair was straightened and done up. She wore makeup too, not too much, just enough. She stood next to Viktor Krum, her arm linked with his.

"Wow Hermione," Harry said. "You look great."

Hermione smiled. "Thank you, Harry. Hello, you must be Luna."

"Hullo," Luna replied.

"Champions, this way," Professor McGonagall issued them off to a side room.

Mr. Bagman and Percy Weasley were there waiting for them.

"H'llo there Harry," Mr. Bagman said coming over and forcibly taking Harry's hand.

"Hi," Harry said awkwardly.

"Now," Mr. Bagman said turning to the rest of the group, "we're just waitin' for the rest of the guests to find their seats then you an' your lovely guests will be introduced. There's a special table set aside for you, Professor McGonagall will show you to it. Percy here will share a few remarks Mr. Crouch who was too ill to make it tonight, but he wishes you all well."

Harry and Luna were the last to be introduced. Everyone was already standing at their seats, they stood behind their chairs as Mr. Bagman and Percy completed their remarks. Harry was happy to follow Dumbledore's suit as they finally sat down to eat. Unlike any other meal Harry had eaten at Hogwarts, there were no trays of dishes. Instead, at each place stood a small menu. Harry watched as the headmaster spoke clearly to his place requesting his preferred dish.

Harry wondered what Hermione thought about this, it had to be a great deal of extra work for the house elves. He noted she didn't say anything about it at the moment, she was too busy discussing things about Durmstrang with Krum. Professor Karkaroff didn't seem to happy about that. He wanted to keep their school's secrets secret. Professor Dumbledore had Harry laughing when he told a story about finding a room filled with chamber pots during one late night stroll. The man had been in the castle for decades, he had only found that room once. It was proof that Hogwarts had many secrets even from those that though they knew it best.

Dumbledore and Luna got into a conversation about merpeople. Harry wasn't sure if he could believe everything his companion had to say about the topic. She didn't like the merpeople who lived in the lake because of the way they treated the giant squid. Dumbledore agreed with her about the treatment of the squid and promised to have a word with their chief the next time they spoke.  Harry wondered if the headmaster was telling her the truth, he hoped he was but there was no way to know for certain.

Dinner was delicious and Harry was content to sit and listen to the Weird Sisters, the musical entertainment for the night play, sadly he and the other school champions were to open the dancing. Harry was just waiting to make a mistake, he knew Malfoy would be watching for him to make a mistake. It was a good thing Luna was a much better dancer than Harry. He didn't step on her toes too many times.

Harry lead Luna back to their seats after the first dance. He breathed a sigh of relief he was done for the night. Luna watched as the other couples danced.

"You're not a very good dancer," Luna stated.

Harry brushed a lock of hair out of his eyes. "Yeah, sorry.  I'm great on a broom, but I don't know...it's like it's like I've got two left feet."

Luna gave him a hard look, "You're thinking too much."

"Oh yeah?" Harry asked.

Luna nodded.

"Do you want to give it another go?"

"No," Luna said slowly.

"Do you want to take a walk outside?" Harry asked, pulling at the collar of his dress robes.

Luna pulled his hand away from his collar and led him outside. Harry felt much better being out of the stuffy air of the overheated Great Hall. It was cooler than it was inside, but the teachers must have extended Warming Charms to the elaborate gardens that now stood in the front drive. Luna kept hold of Harry's hand as they walked. Harry hoped she didn't notice the sweaty state his palm was in. They turned a corner and stopped, startled by the raised voices.

"It's getting darker," the first voice insisted.

"That's Karkaroff," Harry whispered wanting to hear just a bit better. "Who's he talking to?"

"Don't listen, Harry, that's rude," Luna said tugging his hand gently to start walking the opposite direction.

Harry ignored her stepping closer toward the voices.

"This isn't the place Karkaroff! Anyone could hear you, you dolt!"

"And Professor Snape," Harry told Luna.

She tried to tug them away again. Harry refused to move once again.

"You won't speak to me, Severus. What am I supposed to do?" Karkaroff demanded. "He's growing stronger you can't deny it. He is coming back. Look at your arm, Severus!"

"I am not discussing this with you, Karkaroff," Snape said. There were footsteps coming closer and there Snape was standing before Harry and Luna the anger clear in his sallow features.

"Potter, that's ten points from Gryffindor for eavesdropping," Snape snapped, "and the same for Ravenclaw."

"We weren't," Harry protested.

Snape quirked an eyebrow up. "I see. Is that true, Miss Lovegood?"

Harry gave her a pleading look.

"Yes Professor," Luna said,  "We were just walking past and heard you."

"Ten more points for lying, Potter. Come with me, boy," Snape said placing a hand on Harry's shoulder.

"Errrr... bye, Luna," Harry called as the man marched him back toward the castle

Harry practically had to jog to keep up with the Potions Master's quick pace. They didn't stop and Snape didn't remove his hand from Harry's robes until they reached the professor's office.

"Tell me all you heard," Snape demanded.

Harry shook his head. "We didn't hear anything."

"Don't lie to me, Harry."

"I'm not," Harry insisted. "We were just walking past, we heard Karkaroff saying something about it getting darker and you not wanting to talk about it. That's it."

Snape gave him a familiar penetrating stare.

"I promise," Harry told him, he locked his eyes with the man. If he wanted to make sure he was telling the truth by Legilimency he could.

Snape nodded after a long moment. If he had Legilimenced Harry, Harry hadn't felt the familiar intrusion of the man's mind in his own. Harry wondered what that was about. The man believed him, did he trust Harry was telling the truth?

"I do not want you anywhere near Karkaroff," Snape finally said.

"Okay," Harry said taking a seat in his usual spot. "I don't really see him."

"Be that as it may, be careful, Harry." Snape began to pace the length of the small office.

Harry waited for him to speak. When the professor didn't Harry had to say something.

"Was he talking about... that thing on your arm? Voldemort's symbol?"

"Don't say that name," Snape snapped instinctively. He stopped pacing to make eye contact with Harry. "He was indeed referring to the Dark Mark. He fears the return of the Dark Lord. He betrayed the Dark Lord and his fellow Death Eaters at the end of the last war. Many have never forgiven him for his actions. He believes he will be killed for these actions if he were to return."

"Will he?" Harry asked.

Snape nodded, "It is highly possible, however, fleeing from the Dark Lord will only guarantee his demise."

"Then why run?" Harry asked.

"The man is a coward. He does not wish to face the consequences of his actions."

"So he's going to die either way?"

"It is almost certain," Snape confirmed.

"That's stupid."

"The Dark Lord does not tolerate disloyalty. It is this fear of vengeance or death that will bring back many of the followers that may have otherwise moved on in their beliefs." Snape explained.

"Right," Harry agreed not completely understanding.

"There are some former followers who have a great deal to lose if the Dark Lord returns. They will no longer be free to peruse their own aims, but be servants once more to another's will," Snape clarified.

"Okay," Harry agreed.

"You need not concern yourself with that now, Potter. It is late, you should return to your tower."

There wasn't a curfew tonight but Harry knew the man wasn't making a suggestion. If Harry was up in his dorm he was safe.

Harry sighed, "Good night, sir."

"Harry, you would do well apologizing to Miss Lovegood in the morning," Snape suggested as the boy made to open the door.

"Apologize for what?" Harry asked.

"That your desire to eavesdrop lost her House ten points and you abandoned her so early in the night," Snape replied as if were obvious.

"I didn't abandon her. You dragged me off." Harry stumbled.

"Miss Lovegood may not share your feelings about it. You should do your best to rectify the situation." Snape continued. "Misunderstanding and hurt feelings can doom a relationship, if you explained what happened, she is more likely to accept your apologies."

"I didn't... We're not... We're just friends..." Harry stammered a blush creepingy up his neck.

"If you ever desire it to be more, take heed to my warning, Potter. Now away with you, I must return to that travesty of a dance," Snape said with a heavy sigh.  The two walked together until they reached the ground floor.

"Good night sir," Harry said before turning to continue up the stairs. He was surprised to find he wasn't the only one in his dorm when he arrived. Ron was already snoring in his four-poster as Harry changed for bed. Ron must not have been enjoying himself that much if he was already in bed, it was barely after midnight after all.  Harry laid down but had a hard time falling asleep. Snape's words kept playing in his head. Karkaroff fearing for his life, Death Eaters not wanting to return to Voldemort's service, was Snape giving him dating advice?
Harry was one of the earliest up the next morning. He ate breakfast by himself in nearly an empty Great Hall. He didn't see Hermione or Neville until after lunch. Apparently, both had come back sometime around dawn. Hermione's hair was back to its normal puffiness, she admitted she had used a lot of products to make it look like that. She could do it every day, but it wasn't worth the effort.

"Oh no," she sighed setting down her paper between the three of them.

"What?" The boys asked together.

"Rita Skeeter," Hermione said spotting a column.

Harry rolled his eyes, "What did she say this time?"

Hermione scanned down the article. "She mentions I am dating Viktor."

"Are you really?" Harry asked.

Hermione blushed.

"Good for you, Hermione," Neville said.

"She goes on to talk about Harry being dragged into the castle by Professor Snape," Hermione continued.

Harry frowned, "How does she know about that? The only person around was Luna. She wouldn't talk to Skeeter."

"What did Professor Snape want?"

Harry shook his head, "I didn't do anything, just he thought I heard something I shouldn't have."

Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"It's nothing, Hermione. What did Skeeter say that was so bad?"
Hermione leaned forward to read the exact words of Skeeter's article about how Hagrid being half-giant, the son of the notorious giantess, Fridwulfa.  From there she went on to make speculations about his character, including his fondness for brutal beasts.

“We should go and see him,” Harry suggested at once.  “He should know we don’t care who is mum was or what he might be. I know what it’s like to be embarrassed by your family.”

“That’s not really a fair comparison, Harry.” Hermione chided.  

“You’ve never really met them.  Trust me, Hermione, they’re just about as bad as being related to a giant. At least giants have an excuse why they don’t act like decent humans; my aunt and uncle never did.” Harry said bitterly.  

"I don't...I don't... But how could she know that?" Neville stuttered.

"I don't know," Hermione admitted. “Harry’s right we should go after breakfast.”

"If it's true, who would he trust with that?" Neville asked. "Did you know, Harry?"

Harry shook his head. "I don't care, but he didn't tell me."

"Did you ever see her yesterday?" Hermione asked. "She doesn't seem to like Viktor very much."

"Yeah, she was trying to talk to Dumbledore or trying to, but he ignored her to dance with Madame Maxime," Harry told them. "I didn't see her after that. Luna and I went for a walk, then Snape sent me to bed."

"What did you hear?" Hermione asked exasperatedly.

Harry shrugged, "Karkaroff is scared of Vol-You-Know-Who coming back. He wants to run away."

"How can you say that isn't important, Harry?"

"I don't know." Harry huffed. "Professor Snape just wanted to make sure I stayed out of Karkaroff's way. I think he's scared Karkaroff might use me to make things better with You-Know-Who or something."

"Harry, how can you sound so casual about that?"

"He can't do anything to him here, Hermione." Neville pointed out, "not with Dumbledore here."

"Her-mo-nee," Viktor said waddling up to the Gryffindor table.

"Hi Viktor," Hermione said blushing again. "We can talk later."

"Have fun," the boys said letting her go.

"So, how were things with Ginny," Harry asked.

Hermione wasn't the only one to blush that morning.  She came back a few minutes later having changed her plans with Viktor to later that day so they could go and see their distressed friend.


Their visit to Hagrid’s was one of the hardest ever.  Hagrid had answered the door half-drunk.  He had thrown himself on Harry and Neville weepingly messily into the boys' cloaks.  He had told them a little about his early life, showing them the only photo he had of his tiny father. Yet by the end of the visit, none of them had a better idea how Skeeter could have found out. Hagrid refused to believe Madame Maxime would say anything about it.  The woman had even more to lose than Hagrid.  She might deny it, but there was no doubt she was like him after all.


~~~*****~~~*****~~~*****~~~

With the holidays past and term beginning again, February was starting to feel a lot closer. Harry was no closer to solving the egg. Every time he tried, it let out the same blood-curdling screams. If he didn't solve it soon he wouldn't have time to prepare for the upcoming task. He wished he had listened to Hermione and started earlier.

Harry made his way down to Snape's office like he did every Thursday night. His Occlumency lessons were going better, but Snape could still break in. The man was frustrated with Harry's lack of progress. Harry tried to argue it was the upcoming holidays had him distracted with them past, that was no longer going to work, not that it worked all that well before.

"Potter," Professor Snape greeted as Harry entered his office without knocking.

"Sir," Harry said taking a seat waiting patiently the for man to finish with the papers he was working on before his arrival.

"I trust you have been practicing during our time off," Snape said setting his quill down.

"Errr..."

"I see. What is your excuse this time?"

"I didn't..." Harry sighed. "I don't have one."

"Potter, I am not doing this simply for my amusement." He said with a heavy sigh. "If the Dark Lord tries to access your mind this could not only save your life but that of others."

Harry frowned, "More than my life?"

"Yes Potter, you know a number of things the Dark Lord would care to know."

"Like what?" Harry asked.

Snape rolled his eyes, "I believe you will find that defeats the purpose of this exercise, Potter. You have more than Drooble's Best Blowing Gum between your ears if you put you mind to it."

Harry tilted his head to the side unsure if the man had just insulted his intelligence or not. He pushed aside that comment to think about Snape meant about knowing things.

"You mean your life," Harry said after a long minute. "That's what you meant when you came after the Quidditch Cup?"

"It is more than my life, Harry. If the Dark Lord returns, truly returns, as strong or stronger as the night he time slot to cast that Killing Curse, many lives will be at risk. A war is not fought, nor won by a single individual. A war will occur when the Dark Lord returns." Snape stood,"Enough of this for now. You need to work on your lamentable Occlumency skills. Try and direct more innocuous thoughts and feelings to the surface. You need to keep the most important ones in the deepest part of your mind."

"Yes sir," Harry said standing as well.

Harry did better than he expected, he was able to throw off the professor's assault every time. Snape wasn't as pleased with how long it took Harry for just that.  He was also able to get access to some of Harry's memories.

"Whose dog was that," Snape said offerings Harry a hand up after his final assault.

"Aunt Marge," Harry said rubbing his sore bottom.

"Is that not the woman you inflated last summer?"

"Yeah, but that was before I started Hogwarts, Dudley's ninth birthday, I think."

"I see," Snape said taking in the boy, "so your attack on her I have to assume was not just fueled by the comments of that night."

Harry shrugged. "She was talking about my mum and dad being worthless drunks. That's when she started blowing up like a balloon. She spent the week before insulting and spying on me. I dealt with that fine."

"Yet her comments about Lily drove you to break the Reasonable Restriction for Underage Sorcery?"

"Didn't you hear? She was insulting my mum and dad. She was saying mum was like a dog, that she was underbred, or some bollocks." Harry fumed.

Snape nodded once again. "You should realize by now, the world is an unfair place, Harry. People will say and do things that are unjust. It may be about yourself or that of your parents. That, however, do not give you excuse to illegally hex them."

"I know all that," Harry sighed. "I told you when I came to Spinner's End, it was an accident. I lost my temper and it just happened. I didn't use my wand or anything."

"That is no better, Harry. You must learn to control your thoughts and feelings, it may be the difference between your life and death. It is nearly curfew, I will see you in class." Snape said returning to his desk.

Harry shook his head at the odd dismissal, "Good night, sir."

"Potter," Snape said not bothering to look away from his marking.

Harry headed back toward the Tower via the library. He needed to get a book for his Divination assignment. He would, as he always did, give it a proper try before making up his answers. Professor Dumbledore said the woman wasn't a complete fake, but as far as the headmaster knew, she may have only had two real visions. That wasn't really a good percentage if you asked Harry.

Harry made his way down the Divination aisle running his finger down the spines of texts. Finally, he spotted the one he was looking for. He walked to the counter to checkout, when he saw Cedric working at a table with what Harry assumed were some of his fellow Hufflepuffs. The older boy waved at Harry. Harry returned it uneasily. Madame Pince handed Harry back his book, but he stopped seeing Cedric hold up a finger.

The older boy joined Harry at the counter, he motioned them to walk out. Harry frowned, but followed out into the hall. They walked down the corridor stopping in front of a snow covered window.

"I heard Snape's giving you some extra help," Cedric said looking over to Harry.

Harry shrugged, "Not with the tournament, just stuff I haven't got to do in class yet since..."

"Since you're a fourth year," Cedric finished.

"Yeah," Harry agreed.

"From what I heard he doesn't like you all that much. He must love having to help the famous Harry Potter."

"Professor Dumbledore asked him, I reckon nobody can really say no to Dumbledore." Harry craned his neck to look up at the taller teen. "That's not why you wanted to talk to me, is it? I
promise you Snape would never help me cheat."

Cedric shook his head, "No, have you figured out your egg yet?"

"What?" Harry asked, shocked.

"Have you figured out your egg?"

Harry shook his head, still too shocked to speak.

"Well you helped me out, so I should do the same. I would've been dead if it wasn't for you." Cedric said seriously. "Take a bath."

"What?" Harry managed to ask.

"Take with you to a bath, you can even use the Prefects' Bath. The password is 'pine fresh'." Cedric clarified. He looked down at his watch. "You better get going, you'll be out after hours in a few minutes."

"Thanks, Cedric," Harry said shifting the book from one hand to the other.

Cedric smiled in response, "Now we're even."

Harry nodded and headed down the hall. He sighed as he had been very clear with what was coming with the other boy. How was he repaid, "take a bath"? How was that supposed to help?
Still, it was further than he had gotten before. He would have to go out after hours and make extra sure Professor Snape didn't catch him. The man was already uncomfortable with Karkaroff and the others from Durmstrang being around him during the day.

Harry decided he would have to wait until sometime early next week, this close to the weekend there would be too many people patrolling.

"How was your lesson," Hermione asked handing him a green Headache Draught.

"Fine," Harry said slugging it back in one gulp, grimacing at the foul taste.

"Seamus was asking if you solved your egg yet," Neville informed him.

Harry shook his head.

"That's what I told him."

"You really should be working on it, Harry." Hermine chided.

"I am," Harry told her, "I have a clue what it's about."

"Oh," Hermione looked up hopefully.

"Er...well...I don't want to discuss it just yet..." Harry said scratching the back of his neck. "Wait? Weren't you having dinner with Krum tonight?"

Neville snorted clearly amused at the obvious redirect.

"We did. It was fine until Ron came barging in on us while we were studying in the library." Hermione said with a blush.

Harry frowned. "Why would he care who you're studying with?"

"He was going about me betraying you," Hermione explained.
"He thinks I shouldn't be dating somebody from Durmstrang since they are competing against you or something."

Harry groaned. "I'll talk to him, don't worry. Honestly, Hermione, I don't care who you date."

Hermione smiled, "I know. Thank you, Harry."

"Anytime, Hermione," Harry said settling down to work on Trelawney's latest assignment.

Harry waited until late on Monday night to head down to the Prefect's Bathroom. He had his egg in his backpack. The Marauders Map was open to make sure he didn't bump into any professors or others who happen to be awake and roaming the halls. His walk down to the bathroom was slow, it seemed like every professor was out tonight. Harry wondered why Mr. Crouch was at the castle so late. He must have been visiting Professors Dumbledore and Snape since he was in the dungeons.

Harry had never seen a bathtub as big as the one in the
Prefects' Bathroom. There were swimming pools that were smaller he was sure. He used a number of the taps, each creating a different smelling or looking bubble. Actually solving his egg came with a little help from Luna at Christmas dinner and Moaning Myrtle. He would have an hour to get back something from the merpeople in the hour time slot, or it would be lost forever. Now all he had to do was figure out how to breathe underwater for an hour.

Harry drained the tub after he was sure Moaning Myrtle was gone, he wrapped a towel firmly around his waist and dried off. He had a lot of research ahead of him he was sure. At least Hermione would leave him alone now. He grabbed the egg and Invisibility Cloak putting it on once more. The Marauders' Map showed his path to the castle was clear.

Harry watched the map, Mr. Crouch was coming right towards him. Harry tripped falling into the gap of the stair Neville always forgot to jump. His bag flipped over sending the golden egg crashing down the stairs, popping up letting out its ear-splitting screams. Harry's only relief was he was still covered by the Invisibility Cloak. He struggled, trying to get out of the gap.
The screaming stopped, Harry turned to see who had closed it. It was Professor Snape, his black eyes casting around to find Harry. A second set of footsteps came down the hall, there was no mistaking, them. Professor Moody appeared around the corner an instant later.

"What are you doing here Snape?" Moody demanded.

"I was on my typical patrols, Moody. I was drawn by the screaming," Snape said snidely, showing the ex-Auror the retrieved egg.

"Give it here, Snape. I'll be seeing Potter in class tomorrow."

"There's no way to know which champion this belongs to you paranoid..."

"Mind your tongue you Death Eater scum," Moody shot back. "I don't know what you've done to convince Dumbledore, but I know who you are." Moody looked up at the stairs once more.

Harry waited for a few minutes making sure the footsteps had faded before pulling back the hood of his cloak. Snape shook his head as he leaned over and put his arms under the teen's pits to remove him from where he was stuck. "Potter would be disappointed in you boy."

Harry stood there uncomfortably in the Potions Master's presence unsure what to say.

"What were you thinking?" Snape demanded.

"I..."

"How many times have I told you not to go out in the room at night?" Snape said his face inches from Harry's.

"I was trying to solve my egg," Harry explained.

"And you couldn't do that before curfew?"

Harry shook his head, "I was... I needed a bathtub...and not to be distributed..."

"So you broke into the Prefects' Bath?"

"I didn't break in," Harry said lamely looking at his slippered feet.

"Harry, that's not what's important," Snape all but sighed.

Harry looked up through his lashes, "I know. But when was I supposed to get to us the bath? We only have showers in the dorm."

"And you didn't think to ask your Head of House? I assure you, Professor McGonagall would have accommodated your request, Potter."

"Sorry," Harry mumbled.

"That does me little good if you get yourself killed, Potter." Snape paused, Harry could tell he was collecting himself. "I will escort you back to your dorm. I will see you this evening for the first night of a week's detention."

"Yes sir," Harry sighed. He should have known to expect that.

Hermione and Neville agreed with Snape when he told them what happened over breakfast.

"Do you have an idea of what you're going to use to get the thing back?" Neville asked.

Harry shook his head, "I guess I was going to start looking for charms or something like that this afternoon."

"You could do that, but why not just use gillyweed?"

"What's that?" Harry asked. Sometimes Neville's passion for plants had its benefits.


 
~~~*****~~~*****~~~*****~~~
 

Harry knocked on the office door.

"Enter," Professor Snape said not looking up from his papers.

Harry shifted slightly uncomfortable.

"What do you need, Potter?"

"Can I have some gillyweed?"

Snape set his quill down. "Why do you require that particular ingredient?"

"It's for the task tomorrow," Harry explained.

"And you did not to ask before tonight because?" Snape asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I tried ordering some by owl post, but they wouldn't send it. I don't know what else to do." Harry explained with a huff.

"My word, Harry Potter thinking ahead. I have no idea why an apothecary might have failed to fill your request. Follow me," Snape said rising from his desk.

Harry followed the man into the restricted potions cupboard.

"If you are asking me for ingredients I can assume you and your little friends are not the ones pillaging my cupboard for supplies," Snape said pushing aside glass jars to retrieve the appropriate one.

"Supplies for what?" Harry said as he read the labels of unfamiliar ingredients.

"Polyjuice," Snape opening a jar. "Someone has taken boomslang skin and bicorn horn from this cupboard over the last several months. You three aren't trying your hand at it again? Miss. Granger has learned her lesson in brewing above her level."

"The potion was fine, she just used a cat hair on accident." Harry protested.

"Indeed," agreed Snape looking at the boy in the dark confines of the space.

"We aren't doing it," Harry reassured. "We were trying to figure out who the Heir of Slytherin was in second year. Why would we do it now?"

"I would suggest you stop speaking now if you ever wish to be a member of the Quidditch team again."

"Huh?"

"If you incriminate yourself further you will be spending every Saturday for the next three year helping Mr. Filch with every dirty job he can think of." Snape threatened softly.

"You can't do that." Harry protested, "That was years ago."

"Try me, Potter."

Harry stopped speaking.

"Good boy. Now how long do you think you will need to breathe under water?"

Harry said nothing.

"It is polite to speak when asked a question, Potter."

"Err...we have an hour to get to what they've taken and get back to the surface," Harry replied.

"Very well," Snape handed him a handful of slimy grey weeds that too closely resembled rattails for Harry's liking. "This should give you eighty minutes, give or take ten minutes, just in case it takes longer."

"Thank you, sir," Harry said smiling up at the man. It was so weird how the man could go from threatening him to put him in detention for years to make sure he had a little bit of extra protection. Something about what he was thinking must have shown on his face.

"It is for my own sake, Potter. I have no desire to retrieve you from the bottom of the Black Lake. I'm sure if anything were to go wrong the mutt you call your godfather would put the blame solidly on my shoulders."  

Harry fought back a laugh, "Yeah, he would. Still, thank you, sir."

Snape nodded, "Try and not get yourself killed, Potter."

Harry nodded. "I'll do my best."

Snape shook his head leading him out of the cupboard. "Off with you, you insufferable Gryffindor brat."

Harry made his way upstairs back to his room. He actually felt okay about with what tomorrow might bring. He woke up groggy the next morning the weak February light streaming through the windows. He rolled over, looking at the clock on the bedstand. It was a little over an hour before he was supposed to be at the lake. He should probably have something to eat now if he was going to eat before the challenge. Aunt Petunia always yelling at Dudley not to going to swimming until half an hour after eating? Or was it an hour? Oh well, he was hungry, he was going to have a bit of breakfast.

Harry got dressed and walked down to the Great Hall. He thanked all his well-wishers. It was only when he was finishing that he realized he had seen Neville or Hermione at all this morning.

"Hullo Harry," Luna said coming and sitting next to him.

"Hi Luna," Harry said still looking for his missing friends.

"You're distracted," Luna said watching him.

"Yeah," Harry admitted, "Sorry, I was just looking for Hermione and Neville."

"They're not here." She stated as if it was obvious.

"What? Why?"

"I don't know. I saw them walking with Professor Dumbledore early this morning."

Harry frowned. Where could they be? He couldn't imagine them not coming to cheer him on. Wait they were walking with
Dumbledore. "Were they going to the lake?"

Luna cocked her head to the side.

"Dumbledore took them to the lake, that's what we're going have to retrieve from the merpeople. It's not a thing, but a person," Harry explained.

"Do you have to rescue both?"

Harry shook his head, "I don't know. Maybe?"

"Mr. Potter," Professor McGonagall said coming down the aisle between the tables.

Harry stood, "Coming Professor."

"Harry," Luna said coming with him.

"What is it, Luna?"

She passed him a small odd shaped lump, of something Harry didn't recognize. "It's for good luck."

"Uhhh...Thanks, Luna," Harry shoved the thing into his pocket. She walked beside him. Harry was not sure what to say.

"Through there, Mr. Potter," Professor McGonagall instructed as they arrived at a white tent on the lakeshore.

"I'll be cheering for you," Luna told him.

Harry nodded and headed in, the other champions were all standing in bathrooms waiting for the task to begin. Harry disappeared behind the partition to change into the provided swimsuit. He was glad to see it had a pocket and a wand holster. He wasn't sure what he was supposed to do with his gillyweed or his wand as he swam to the bottom of the lake.

"Hello all," Mr. Bagman came bustling into the room. "It's a wonderful morning. I hope each of you has figured out a strategy for today's task. Each of you has a hostage waiting for you at the bottom of the lake. You are to retrieve them within and return to the surface in the allotted hour. The person who comes back the fastest will score the highest."

Harry nodded along as Mr. Bagman spoke. He noticed it was not Mr. Crouch with him, but again, Percy. Mr. Crouch must have been very sick to miss judging the actual task.

"Percy," Harry said getting the young man's attention.

Percy looked over at the bespectacled boy, "Oh, hello Harry."

"Is Mr. Crouch still ill," Harry asked.

Percy looked uncomfortable, "Yes, I'm afraid he is. He's still working very hard from home of course. He sends owls every morning at least, if not several during the day. He wishes he could be here, of course. As his deputy, I was charged to represent the Department of International Cooperation."

"Harry, we're waiting for you to start," Mr. Bagman said coming back into the tent.

"Sorry," Harry apologized as he and Percy hustled to join the rest.

Mr. Bagman announced to the crowd that at the sound of the whistle all four champions would enter the water to retrieve whatever person they lost. That would be the start of the hour time limit. Harry stretched his muscles as best he could remember from physical education in primary school. He really wished Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had paid for him to take swimming lessons like they did in for Dudley.

The whistle blew Harry felt like an idiot walking into the water, no obvious magic in use. The gillyweed was rubbery and tasted like old licorice. Neville hadn't said exactly how he would know when it had taken effect. Harry just stood hip deep in the chilly water, trying not to shiver as he chewed, finally swallowed. Harry could tell the instant it was in effect his head ached from the lack of oxygen. He brought up a webbed hand to touch the newly formed gills on the sides of his neck. He dove. Everything disappeared in the cloudy water, all sounds of the crowd, the cold, his sense of time. He still had a watch (an abandoned birthday present of Dudley's) but it wasn't waterproof apparently. It had stopped working as he entered the lake.

Harry swam down not sure exactly where he was going. He had to fight of grindylows on his way down. The merpeople looked nothing like the one in the painting in the Prefects' Bath. They wouldn't let Harry collect Neville and Hermione. He was only supposed to take Neville. Hermione was there for Krum. The Bulgarian showed up several long minutes after Harry, cutting Hermione free after Harry handed him a sharp rock before he accidentally bit Hermione in two with his transfigured shark's head. Cedric too came and collected his person, Cho Chang, the sixth year Ravenclaw Seeker.

Time was running out and Fleur had yet to show up. Harry couldn't just leave the little girl down here. She couldn't be more than eight or so.  He ignored the merpeople's orders to leave her and cut her free bring her with him and Neville back to the surface. He was very glad the professor made sure he had enough gillyweed to last longer than the hour.  It was much harder to swim carrying two unconscious people with him.

The last of the gillyweed wore off as Harry broke the surface. The little girl, Harry guessed she was Fleur's sister started to panic. Neville had no trouble taking hold of her and bringing her back to the shore. Harry was exhausted and wished someone would bring him back. He managed to get back to shore before collapsing on the muddy bank. He didn't care what the judges decided.

Hermione sat with Krum a little way away. They seemed to be having a very intense conversation from the look on his friend's face. He would have to ask her about that. Fleur was on the other side speaking in very fast French. She had thanked Harry and Neville for saving the girl, her sister, Gabrielle. Neville was wrapped in a blanket sitting next to Harry not saying anything. Harry appreciated the silence, he knew that he would be mobbed by the press, his classmates, and anyone else who wanted to know about what happened down in the lake.
Harry was half asleep when Neville jostled him to inform him that he and Cedric were tied for first place. He had lost points for coming back after the hour time limit, but the merpeople informed the judges how Harry arrived first and refused to return until all the hostages were collected. He grinned proudly trying to mentally compose his next letter to Sirius. His godfather and Remus would want to know how he did in the task. Harry also wanted to ask what they knew about Mr. Crouch. It seemed odd to Harry the man would miss something as important as one of the Triwizard Tasks. And to send Percy, a brand-new employee to the Ministry, one who he confused the name of multiple times at the Quidditch World Cup, that didn't sit right either.

Harry wished he could call them like he had been able to at the Burrow. It would take days for Hedwig to come back with their response to all of Harry's questions. What else was there to do?
Harry was still in a great mood when he arrived for Occlumency lessons the next evening.

"Yes, yes, Potter, you did very well yesterday. That idiotic stunt didn't cost you. It may only cost your life in the future." Snape said as Harry took a seat.

"Huh?" Harry said taking his usual seat.

"What if the time limit had meant life or death? Your insistence on saving everyone could have gotten Longbottom killed."

"So I should have let Fleur's sister die?" Harry demanded.

"No, but you need to think about the consequences of your actions." Snape clarified. "What did the mutt have to say?"

"I don't know yet, Hedwig hasn't come back with his letter," Harry admitted. "I wish I could call him."

"After our session, you may use my fireplace. I need to speak to the wolf anyway. This is only tonight,"  Snape stressed.

Harry grinned, "Thank you."

The lesson was one of the best Harry had ever had. He had managed to force Snape out of his mind and even penetrate the older man's memories for an instant. Harry didn't know or understand exactly what he saw in his mind, but he recognized the location at the house on Spinner's End.  Harry guessed the yelling man must have been Snape's father, a cowering woman protecting the small boy, Snape's mother.

Sirius and Remus listened excitedly as Harry recounted the entire task in great detail. Snape provided biting commentary along the way. It was only afterward Harry remember what he wanted to discuss with his godfather. Harry explained how Mr. Crouch was still missing from the task, but he had been on the map. Why would he be at the castle late at night, but fail to attend something as important as the Triwizard Tournament?

Sirius didn't have an answer. Neither he nor Snape liked the man, who had been highly involved with the Death Eater trials at the end of the last war. Sirius was never given a chance to defend himself, whereas Snape was only saved from the Dementor's Kiss by Dumbledore personally vouching for him. Both Sirius and Snape agreed something must be wrong with such a driven man to miss something like the tournament.

The Snape and Sirius disagreed however on how Harry should protect himself. Sirius wanted Harry to spend more time with Mad-Eye Moody. The old man maybe a paranoid nutter, but he was the most talented Auror the department had ever seen. Sirius ignored Snape's misgivings about the man blaming them on his prejudice developed as a Death Eater.

In other news, Remus told Harry they planned to move to Sirius' old family house in London during the summer holidays. Harry would get to help make the place the home it never was to Sirius. Harry knew that probably meant a lot of cleaning and other menial jobs, but somehow Remus made the prospect of spending his summer cleaning house not sound too bad. Now all he had to do was survive this last task and he could go see his new home.

The End.
End Notes:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story. If you have a second could you please take a two-question survey about the length of chapters.
Thanks so much,
Stump_Pan

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FG35BVT



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3382