Seasons of Love by Stump_Pan
Summary: How different would things be if Snape went to pick up Harry instead of Hagrid?

Snapshots of how things might have been through all seven years by season.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Canon, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year, 5th summer, 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 207949 Read: 116902 Published: 10 Feb 2017 Updated: 02 Sep 2017
Spring 1995 by Stump_Pan

February turned into March, then April. Harry continued to work with Professor Snape on his Occlumency at least one night a week. Any detention he earned during class were turned into extra lessons.

Harry had gone with the twins on the most recent Hogsmeade weekend since Neville was going with Ginny and Hermione was with Krum.  Harry thought about asking Luna but backed out at the last moment (so much for legendary Gryffindor courage). In a way, Harry was glad he hadn't brought Luna. Rita Skeeter spent the entire day buzzing around the village trying to come up with new gossip about Harry or the others competing in the tournament.

Skeeter created a nonsense story about Hermione's rejection of Harry for an older, more talented, star. The article had run in some of the women's magazines. Hermione had received some nasty letters in response to this, including burns from undiluted Bubotuber pus. Harry promised he would hit her the next time he saw her and those stupid bejeweled glasses.

After the news broke about Hagrid, Dumbledore had banned the reporter from the school grounds. Yet she seemed to have a way of getting past the headmaster's declaration, as she was continuing to publish new columns that were too accurate for her not to be around the castle. Snape received several Howlers one morning when Skeeter reported Harry had detention with the man for being out five minutes after curfew.  The man cared not, he simply incinerated as soon as the unlucky bird dropped its missive, never giving them a chance to spew whatever the message was inside.

With April came another meeting of the champions, this time down on the Quidditch Pitch. The once perfectly manicured lawn was now covered in long snakes of three foot or so high hedges. Mr. Bagman informed them that the last task was to take place the last day of exams (for the rest of the school). Since Harry and Cedric were tied they would enter at the same time, Krum five minutes later, and Fleur another five after Krum.

"Potter," Krum called out to Harry, slowed to let the other boy catch up.  

"Herm-own-ninny speaks of you often," Krum said walking back toward the castle.

"Uhhhh...yeah...we're friends..."Harry said nervously.

"Di paper, dis Skeeter woman, she says you and Herm-own-nniny are more," Krum said stopping at the edge of the forest.

Harry shook his head. "We're not. Hermione's great, she fantastic. But she's...she's sort of like a sister to me."

"You do not love her den?" Krum clarified.

"Not like that," Harry confirmed. "She's just a friend."

"Den you do not mind her seeink me?"

Harry shrugged, "It's her choice. I don't think she'd care who I was dating."

"She does, she hef spoken of it," Krum said. "She tinks di girl from di dance is... whot is word.. mad? Talkink of impossible tinks. She is very strange."

"Luna, yeah, she is," Harry admitted, "but she knows who she is.
 Anyway, we're just friends."

"Like wit Herm-own-ninny?"

A rustling of leaves and a branch breaking drew the boys' attention to the forest. Both had their wands in hand instantly. The little hairs on the back of Harry's neck stood on end.

"What lives in dere?" Krum asked.

"Lots of things," Harry whispered back. "Lumos." The tip of his wand released a thin stream of light.  

Something came crashing through the woods, Harry gripped his wand tighter a hex on the tip of his tongue. As it got closer, Harry dropped his wand. It was a man, it was Mr. Crouch.

"Mr. Crouch," Harry said approaching the man cautiously. "Mr. Crouch, can we help you?"

Mr. Crouch grabbed the front of the boy's robes, "Dumbledore! I must speak to Dumbledore!"

Harry looked to Krum for help, the man still held him tight. Krum stepped forward his wand raised. Harry shook his head.

"Mr. Crouch, I can go get Dumbledore, but you need to let me go." Harry pleaded, "If you let me go we can go together."

"Made a terrible mistake," Crouch breathed letting go of Harry's robes.

Harry stepped back from his captor. Something funny happened, Mr. Crouch started talking to a tree as if it were Percy Weasley.

"He is one of your ministers," Krum said watching the man uncomfortably. "He is mad."

Harry shook his head, "He's confused. He's acting like that tree is Percy. What he’s talking about happened a few months ago. It's like how those Muggles acted after the Ministry used Memory Charms after what happened with the Death Eaters at the Quidditch World Cup. We need to get help," Harry said looking from the confused Crouch to the castle.

"You wish to takes him to Dumbledore? What madness does he needs to hear?" Krum asked skeptically.

"I don't know," Harry admitted, "But we can't just drag him. Can you watch him while I go?"

Krum clutched his wand, nodding.

"Thanks," Harry said before running up the lawn.

"Potter," Professor Snape snapped as Harry crashed through the front door. "What in the name of Merlin do you think you are doing?"

"I need to talk to Dumbledore," Harry breathed, rubbing slightly at his side, winded from his long run.

Snape raised an eyebrow, "Why is that?"

Harry took a big breath in, "Mr. Crouch is with Krum, down by the forest. He's acting sort of funny. Mr. Crouch, not Krum. He's talking to trees like they're Percy Weasley and going on about making mistakes."

"Show me," Snape said heading out the door. Harry jogged down the grounds, trying to stay with the professor's long strides.  A frown appeared on his face, it grew deeper as the came closer to where Harry had left Krum with Crouch.

"Potter," Snape said looking around.

"There," Harry said pointing at the dark lump.

Snape pushed Harry behind him, "Stay here."  Snape waved his wand a silver doe raced across the lawn, back to the castle. He waved his wand casting several spells over the unconscious Krum. Apparently approving of the results Snape stepped closer to and tapped Krum with his wand.

The heavy brows furrowed as Krum sat up with the aid of
Professor Snape.

"Where is Mr. Crouch," Snape asked waving his wand over Krum once more.

"I do not know," Krum rubbed the back of his head gingerly. "He was upset when Potter left. He yelled. He must hef hit me."

"What are you doing here, Snape?" Moody demanded to find the trio.

"Potter said he had run into a distressed Mr.Crouch this evening, who requested to speak with the headmaster. I returned with him as not to put the students in harm's way." Snape's tone was neutral, but Harry knew Snape would love to hex the paranoid Auror.

"Severus, Alastor, I am glad you are both here," Dumbledore said cutting the heavy silence between the teachers. "Mr. Krum, could you explain what happened?"

"The man came up to us when Potter and I were talkink," Krum began. "He was mad, talkink of mistakes, to trees. Potter went to get help, leaving me with him. He was upset, he must hef hit me. I woke up with your professor standing over me."

"Alastor, see if you can find him. We must know what he wanted to discuss." Dumbledore looked at Harry, "Severus, take Harry to my office."

Snape nodded, "Come along, Potter."

Harry followed without complaint, he could feel the displeasure coming off the Potions instructor but why it was directed at him, Harry was uncertain. He didn't have to wait too long to find out.  

"What were you thinking, Potter?" Snape demanded as soon as the door to the headmaster's office shut.

"What did I do?" Harry asked.

"Why were you alone with Krum? The mutt and I specifically instructed you to be cautious around those from Durmstrang." Snape hissed.

Harry flopped into a chair, "We were just talking."

"And what could be so important to put your life at risk? Quidditch standings? Chocolate Frog Cards?"

"No," Harry sighed.

An eyebrow raised in response.

Harry rolled his eyes, "Hermione."

"What was that?"

"He wanted to ask me about Hermione. The papers were saying that Hermione was my girlfriend or something. He wanted to make sure it wasn't true, I guess." Harry explained.

"And you felt it worth your life to discuss a nonexistent romantic relationship with him?" Snape asked.

"I didn't think it was that big of a deal," Harry sighed.

Snape rolled his eyes, "That much is obvious."

Harry pouted, "How come you never warned Hermione about Durmstrang? Doesn't she have to worry about them too?"

"Potter, Miss. Granger is capable of taking care of herself. I am sure she could handle herself if the need arose."

"And I couldn't?" Harry demanded.

Snape sat next to Harry making sure his onyx orbs meet with Harry's. "Harry, Granger does not have the same concerns. She did not defeat the Dark Lord as a toddler. She does not have to worry that a deranged follower will try to use her as compensation for their sins."

"It's Krum. He doesn't seem so bad." Harry sighed looking away from the teacher.

"People may not always show you their true self, Harry." Snape reminded him.

"I know," Harry agreed. His eyes cast around the room over all the strange artifacts.  The portraits of past headmasters dozing comfortably in their frames. His eyes fell of a silver light in the corner of the room. "What's that?" Harry asked walking toward the source.

Snape joined him by the stone bowl. "It is a Pensieve, a way to see look back on your memories."

"How," Harry asked prodding a finger at the shimmering surface.

Snape reached out grabbed his hand away, "You can break the surface of the memory. You are able to see the memories outside yourself."

Harry frowned, "I don't think I get it." He pulled his arm away from the bowl.

Snape let go of his wrist. "You need not concern himself it, Potter. It is a great offense to enter another's memories without their permission."

"Yes sir," Harry said giving the bowl one more look.

"Hello again, Harry," Dumbledore greeted the teen as he entered the office. "Severus, thank you for waiting with him." Snape nodded politely."I see Severus was showing you the mysteries of the Pensieve."

"In fact, I was not, Headmaster. Potter would have barged into yours, I had not been present." Snape corrected.

"Ahhh, Severus, one can sometimes not help their curiosity," Dumbledore said his voice light, a small smile hidden in the waist length beard.

Snape frown, "That is no excuse for such incivility."

"Indeed," Dumbledore agreed. "Now Harry, can you please give me your account of the night's events?"

"It was like Krum said, we were walking back to the castle by the forest when Mr. Crouch appeared. He was all dirty and going on about mistakes he made. It didn't make a lot of sense."

Harry apologized. "Mr. Crouch kept asking for you so I left him with Krum and came looking for you. Professor Snape was mad at me for running in the halls until I explained. Then we want back, but Krum was knocked out. Wait," Harry turned to Snape, "was that doe a Patronus?"

"It was," Dumbledore confirmed. "The Patronus a fascinating bit of magic not only can they be used to dispel Dementors but to send messages as well."

"Cool," Harry said sitting back, he could almost hear Snape rolling his eyes in response to his comment.

Dumbledore placed his wand to his temple removing a long silver strand, almost like a liquid hair. Harry watched as the man dropped it into the stone basin before them.  The image of a teenage sitting with a younger Dumbledore floating up. Dumbledore added another, this time a young man pleading for his father not to send him away.

"Who was that?" Harry asked.

"Bartemius Crouch Jr., he and three others were sentenced to life for their vicious attacks on an Auror and his family," Dumbledore said adding another memory.

"Mr. Crouch's son was a Death Eater?" Harry was surprised, Mr. Weasley said the man hated dark magic. Harry remembered how the man reacted seeing the Dark Mark in the sky once more. He had been desperate to blame it on anyone, even his devoted house-elf.

"He was," Snape confirmed. "The boy died not long after being sent to Azkaban. His cohorts are still there."

"Were the Auror and his family okay," Harry asked after a moment.

Dumbledore shook his head sadly, "No, they never recovered. They are still in St. Mungo's."

Harry furrowed his brow, "Mr. Crouch's son attacked Neville's parents?"

"Yes, had Neville never mentioned why he lived with his  grandmother?" Dumbledore asked.

"He said they were sick, but he never said who did it," Harry clarified.  

"I see," Dumbledore said with a pause. "Now, why don't you head back to the Tower?"

"Yes sir," Harry said getting up, "Good night Headmaster, Professor Snape."

"Good evening," both said.

Dumbledore must have let Sirius know about what happened because Harry received a letter from Sirius the next morning lecturing him almost on the same points Professor Snape had last night. He shook his head as he shoved the letter into his pocket. The two men might not get along, but they were so much alike when it came to worrying about Harry.  
 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~
 

Professor Snape put their Occlumency lessons on hold the week before exams were to start.  He didn't have the time to practice with Harry, but he still expected Harry to continue with their nightly exercises. Harry was glad for the break, it gave him more time to prepare for the upcoming task.

Hermione and Neville were helping him look up and practice useful spells. They found one that would act like a compass to locate true north. The cup would be at the center of the maze, this way he would have an idea of which way to go.  There was one Neville found to slow the momentum of an approaching enemy. Professor McGonagall gave them an extra classroom to practice in after stumbling on the group several times.

The morning of the third task arrived, everyone was excited for the exams to finish and the Triwizard winner to be announced that evening. Harry sat with his friends at breakfast listening as Hermione quizzed Neville on various topics for their History of Magic exam which was just after breakfast. Harry wasn't sure he was going to go. Professor McGonagall had thrown him out of the room the day before for distracting the others as they took their exams by summoning and repelling objects across the room.

"Mr. Potter," Professor McGonagall said briskly as Harry made to follow Neville and Hermione upstairs. He decided he would try and read during the exam, that was if his nerves didn't get the best of him.

Harry stopped on the rise of the first stair, "Ma'am."

"The families of the champions have been invited to come and watch the task. As you do not have to sit your examination, you may spend the day with your family." Professor McGonagall explained.

Harry grinned and followed the woman into the same chamber the four students had waited in before the first task. Krum and another heavy-browed man stood in the corner speaking in Bulgarian. Fleur had her arm wrapped around her little sister's shoulders as they spoke in lightning fast French with their parents. Cedric was by the fireplace, trying not to appear embarrassed as his father told him about how he had bragged about his son being the true Hogwarts Champion and leading in the standings. Harry felt a bit bad for Cedric. As much as he wanted people to notice his achievements, it was obvious he didn't enjoy his father's unrelenting boasting.

"Hey kiddo," Sirius said pulling Harry into a tight embrace as he reached the chair where his fate in this tournament had been decided only a few months before.

"Hey," Harry returned finally letting go of the man. "Hi Remus," he added to the werewolf sitting in the chair beside them.

"Good morning Harry," Remus said closing his book. "The Weasley will be joining us later today, after lunch. I believe Molly wanted us to have some time to catch up."

"Great," Harry said as he embraced the man.

"How about me and Moony show you about the castle, like where we used to go?" Sirius suggested. "I bet you won't have seen half the places."

"He has the map, Sirius." Remus reminded his old friend, though he said it very quietly as if he was scared a professor would punish him for speaking out of turn in class.

Sirius let out a bark of laughter, "That's different than seeing and doing, Rem."

The two men filled Harry's morning with stories of adventures from their school days. Most featured his father in a central role. Occasionally, there were mentions of his mother playing a role in their antics. Who they didn't ever mention was Peter Pettigrew. Harry was glad they said nothing that may dull his contempt of the treacherous rat.

Mrs. Weasley apologized at lunch that Mr. Weasley wouldn't be able to make it, an emergency call from the Ministry. The body of a second missing Ministry official was found murdered that morning. Harry accepted and admitted to being surprised by the news. She told him they were trying to keep it out of the papers after all that was going on with Mr. Crouch's disappearance, sudden reappearance, and subsequent disappearance.

After lunch, Mrs. Weasley led the group on her own tour. It turned out, Mrs. Weasley had her own mischievous history to the castle. It was clear to Harry where the twins got it from.  Harry wondered if Mrs. Weasleys' own children knew even half the stories she told him that afternoon.

Not matter how much Mrs. Weasley and Remus nagged him at dinner, Harry couldn't eat a bite, not even treacle tart, his favorite. He pushed his potatoes around the plate as Mrs. Weasley interrogated her children about how their exams went. He was somewhat relieved when Mr. Bagman came over to collect him. The walk down to the pitch was tense. None of the champions would make eye contact with him.

Harry held tight to his wand, as Mr. Bagman went of the instructions for the night. Harry nodded in the appropriate places, not really taking it in. It would all be over once he made it to the center of the maze. That's all he had to do.  Win or lose, as long as he finished this he would have survived the tournament.  That's all he could ask for right now.

Remus, Sirius, and the Weasleys came by to wish Harry good luck, with tight hugs from all. Remus slipped a small piece of paper into his palm as their hug broke. Harry frowned, Remus, shook his head, and mouthed "in the maze". The teen cocked his head to the side, he couldn't believe the man would help him cheat, but why else would the man hand him a note that he wasn't supposed to read the until he was inside the maze?

Harry placed the note in his pocket waiting for Mr. Bagman to blow the whistle. Cedric was doing jumping jacks trying to expel his nervous energy. Mr. Bagman motioned for Harry and Cedric to approach the entry. The whistle blew the boys headed into the maze together, walking until they reached the first fork.

"Good luck," Cedric muttered as he set off down the right fork.

"You too," Harry said heading down the left.

The quiet was eerie, the darkness oppressive, as he wandered. He had to turn back twice as he ran into dead ends. At the first one, Harry took a moment to retrieve the note from his pocket, curious what it could be. By the faint light of his wand, Harry could make out a familiar spidery scrawl.


Potter,  
As I was unable to wish you luck before the task, may I convey my best wishes now.  May you make it through this maze with the least amount of bodily harm.  If the need should arise do not be too stubborn to request assistance from the professors.  Your life is worth a bag of galleons, Harry, no matter how large.
Be aware, SS



He took the next left trying to find his way to the center. He thought he heard a scream, but then there were red sparks, someone had signaled they were in distress. One less person to compete against. He was mildly curious as to who it might have been.  

When he turned the next corner, everything turned upside down. Harry stared at the stars that were now the ground, unsure what to do. Harry held his breath, closed his eyes, put his foot out, and stepped forward. He cracked an eye open, glad to see the grass under him once more. He rushed down the path taking the next right as it would head back north.

The hairs on the back of Harry's neck stood up as a familiar cold crept over him. The Dementor glided toward him, its rotten hand sticking out under it robe, outstretched to grab Harry.

He summoned the happiest thought he could come up with, getting out of this maze and yelled, "Expecto Patronum!" The Dementor stumbled, tripping over its robes as the silver doe charged it down.

"You're not a Dementor, you're a Boggart," Harry realized. "Riddikulus!"

The Dementor-Boggart disappeared in a puff of smoke. Harry heard another scream, this one much closer. Harry bit his lip, not sure what to do, then there was another scream. Harry pointed his wand at the hedge and burned a hole just large enough for him to climb through. Krum had Cedric under the Cruciatus Curse. Without a second thought, Harry stunned Krum.

"I thought he wasn't too bad," Cedric breathed as Harry tried to help the other boy sit up.

"He's not," Harry said, "he's always been good to me and my friend Hermione. He's told her how he doesn't like how focused on the Dark Arts they are at Durmstrang."

"He must have been lying to her," Cedric said standing up shakily.

"I guess," Harry sighed.

"Do you want me to signal the professors?" Asked Cedric.

Harry nodded.

"Good luck," Cedric said leaving Harry once more.

"Yeah," Harry agreed, it was only the two of them left, he had an equal chance to win. Harry took off once more. His encounter with the Sphinx wasn't as bad as he thought it might be.

There he was, the cup was only a short run away, he could make it. Then Cedric was there, but he was closer... He was going to win. The Hufflepuff looked back, seeing Harry he stopped....

A crash came through the silence. An eight-foot tall spider came over the hedge between Harry and Cedric. It opened and closed its pincers coming toward Harry, lunging and picked Harry up under his knee. Harry screamed in pain as the spider's venom sank into his flesh.

Harry tried to cast something to make the creature let him go.  Nothing worked it was too big or too magical. Cedric stepped forward, "Stunning Spell on three. Aim for the underbelly. One....two....three!"

The two flashes of red light hit the spider hit it at the same time. It released its jaw sending Harry crashing to the ground again. Harry tried to stand, his injured leg collapsing under him immediately.

"Take it," Harry told the Hufflepuff, "it's yours. There is no way I'm getting there on this leg."

"It should be yours," Cedric said walking not toward the cup, but Harry. "I never would have made it past the first task without your help."

"You helped me with the lake," Harry said hissing through the pain.

"I got help with that too," Cedric admitted.

"Hagrid helped me with the dragons," Harry confessed. "Just take it so we can get out of here."

"No," Cedric refused.

"Go on, be the biggest win for Hufflepuff in a century," Harry urged.

"Together, we do it together," Cedric said grabbing Harry and getting him to his feet. The two hobbled together. They grabbed the glowing blue cup, the jerking sensation behind his bellybutton told Harry they were on their way. It was over, he survived the Triwizard Tournament.

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

"Where are we?" Cedric asked, looking around the dark surroundings. "This isn't another part of the task, is it? Should we send up red sparks?"

Harry couldn't see very much, they stood on the edge of some woods.  It was nowhere near Hogwarts, that he knew. "I don't think that will work.  Do you know how to send messages with a Patronus?"

The other boy shook his head, "Do you?"

Harry too shook his head.  He would have to ask Professor Snape how to teach how to do that during their next lesson.  

"Maybe we should see where we are?" Diggory suggested.  

Harry nodded. "Wands out," he said tightening the hold on his holly and phoenix feather wand.

Cedric slipped an arm under Harry's arm, helping him to walk. Stepping out of the woods they were in a graveyard now, a family one Harry would guess by the few names he could read. When he looked up, it felt like a cold bucket of water was dumped over his head.  

"I know this place," Harry said.  The large house looming over them was the one from those strange dreams that made his scar ache.

Cedric turned to Harry, "From what?"

"Kill the spare," a reedy voice said as a man approached the pair.

A flash of green light and Cedric fell to the ground, dead. Harry saw the boy's unblinking blue eyes looking, but not seeing the sky above. Ropes wrapped themselves tightly around Harry's injured frame. Harry was drug away from the body and the cup.

Harry didn't have his wand, it fell out of his hand as the man dragged him across the yard. They stopped in front of the largest headstone. The arms of the angel came down the grab him. It was then that Harry recognized the man who had killed Cedric, who dragged him across the yard, Harry wouldn't forget those pale, watery eyes for the rest of his life, it was Pettigrew.

Harry forced the violent thoughts under his shields. He couldn't afford to lose his temper now. He was an injured fourteen-year-old wizard. If Pettigrew was here, Voldemort must be near.

Harry needed to figure a way to escape.  He was hurt and unarmed Voldemort would kill him this time for certain.  

Harry flinched as the rat-faced wizard took his blood with a silver dagger, combining it to the concoction. He watched in horrified fascination as Pettigrew added the remaining ingredients to the bubbling vat as he recited a complex incantation.  What emerged from the cauldron was not the half-alive, mutilated baby-wizard, but a full-grown restored Voldemort. The red, vertically slit pupils, pale flesh, and lack of a nose revealed that the wizard was no longer truly human.  

Death Eaters appeared within instants of Voldemort touching Pettigrew's Dark Mark.  The restored Voldemort explained how he was able to return to this form.  That Harry was no longer a threat to him as he had used the boy's blood to bring himself back.  The protection Lily once gave him now ran through his body as well.  To prove the point the maniacal wizard touched Harry's face. The boy felt like his head was going to split open, the dark wizard remained unaffected.  

Voldemort's mistake was his pride.  He wanted to show his Death Eaters just how powerful he was by defeating Harry in a one on one duel.  Something unexpected happened, however,  the wands would not duel properly.  

Instead of Voldemort's Killing Curse striking Harry it collided with the boy's Disarmament Spell. When the green light hit red, a golden web of light formed a bubble around the two wizards.  They were still connected, a bead of the gold moving between them. Harry tried with all his might to force it back to Voldemort. He didn't know exactly what was going to happen, but he knew his only chance to live lay with that ball of light staying with Voldemort.

Harry was right. The ball of light forced its way down the older wizard's wand and from it emerged not quite a ghost, but more like heavy shadows. The Hufflepuff was followed by a middle-aged woman version of the girl from the Pensieve. After she came an old man, the one from Harry's first dream, then Harry's mother. Harry fought back tears as she told him to hold on until James arrived. Then he was James, the odd sort of shadows paced the space of the web, terrifying and confusing Voldemort. The shadows gave Harry the time he needed to reach Cedric's limp form and summon the Triwizard Cup once more. He was never so happy to have a Portkey transport him.

The sound when they returned to Hogwarts was deafening first in victory but quickly followed by horror as the professors instantly realized something was wrong. Harry was too exhausted to question it as Moody forced him back to the castle. He followed the man to his office, he was asking about the Dark Lord's return with great enthusiasm.

Harry couldn't understand how the man could know about that yet. Harry hadn't said anything yet. Moody approached Harry with a knife, but he was shot back. Dobby forced the man away from Harry who fought to stay awake. A moment later, Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Snape were bursting through the door, all with wands drawn.

Dumbledore ordered the house elf to take Harry to his office.  The house elf was asked to go and retrieve Winky from the kitchens.  Professor McGonagall took Harry up to Professor Dumbledore's office to wait for the headmaster while he interrogated the Moody imposter.  Harry would not be alone, Sirius and Remus were sent there as soon as Harry reappeared on the edge of the maze.

It was only later that Harry learned the truth how the imposter, was able to perpetrate his scheme.  Under Dumbledore's watchful eye, Professor Snape administered a powerful truth potion to Harry's captor. The man all believed to be Alastor Moody was not, he instead was a man all believed to be dead, Barty Crouch Jr. He had kidnapped and captured the real Moody at the beginning of September, before he reached the castle,  replacing him as the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. He had spent the year living under the disguise of Polyjuice Potion. He had been stealing the needed ingredients from Snape's all year. He was the one to add Harry's name to the Goblet of Fire.

Crouch had been kept his father as a prisoner under the Imperious for most of the year, as payment for the years he had been forced to do the same. But his father had escaped and come to confess what he had done, to warn Dumbledore of his son's and Voldemort's plan. Crouch had killed his father the day Harry and Krum found him in the forest.  He hid the Transfigured body in the forest as Harry went for help.

The evening of the Third Task he had turned the cup into a Portkey to transport Harry to where the Dark Lord was to be reborn. He removed many of the obstacles in Harry's way to the center of the maze. He Stunned Fleur when she was too close to the center, and he put Krum under the Imperius Curse to attack Cedric. Crouch was to join his master as soon as possible. The burn of his Dark Mark was the proof he required to know he had been successful.

As Dumbledore interrogated the fake-Moody, Harry sat dazed in the headmaster's office. Remus fretfully began to treat Harry's wound, cleaning the blood away from Pettigrew's cut on his arm. Fawkes' tears healed much of the damage to Harry's leg.  Sirus anxiously pace the small chamber occaitionally swearing at one of the portrait's of a deceased headmaster.  The portrait apparent was one of Sirius' less pleasent ancestors.   

When the headmaster finally did appear, he requested Harry tell him all that happened once they left the maze, over the very vocal objections of the boy's guardians.  

Harry did his best to recall everything.  He told them of the potion, Pettigrew taking Harry's blood, and now how Voldemort could touch him. Harry struggled with what happened with the wands. Dumbledore was able to explain it better.

A wand will never act properly when forced to fight its twin. Harry's and Voldemort's wands had turned to making the other reveal the spells it had cast, Prior Incantatem. The weighted shadows were not ghosts, but more like an echo of the persons, Voldemort had killed with that wand. Finally, the man let Harry be taken to the Hospital Wing.


 
~~~*****~~~*****~~~
 

More people were waiting for them there. Mrs. Weasley was tucked into her husband's chest as they waited. Hermione and Neville sat beside one another on one of the empty cots. Fleur and Viktor were at the far end of the ward kept company by their families. Professor Snape was the last to enter the room in a swish of black robes.

"Severus," Dumbledore turned to the Potions Master, "I must ask you to return to your role. The time has finally come."

Professor Snape nodded, "Yes Headmaster."

"Don't go," Harry cried, looking up from his cot at the dark haired man. "He'll kill you. He thinks you've betrayed him and he'll kill you." His sobs made it hard to understand what he was saying.

Professor Snape sat on the edge of Harry's bed facing the panicked youth. He carefully took the boy's face in his hands. "I must go, Potter. There is no one who can serve in this role. I accepted my fate many years ago."

"But you'll die," Harry choked out. He tried to shake his head, but his teacher still held it in a firm but gentle hold.

"Harry," Snape whispered, "you must believe me, I know what I will face tonight. The Dark Lord will not be pleased with me, but I assure you, he will not kill me. I will be back shortly. Every moment of delay only increases the Dark Lord's fury."

"Then why don't..." Harry began, but couldn't complete the sentence.

Professor Snape used a calloused thumb to wipe away a stray tear, "I need you to understand, Harry. I knew this day would come since you struck down the Dark Lord the first time.  i am prepared.  This is what I have been readying you for the last year. If I am to succeed, I must count on you."

Harry wasn't able to shake his head as it was still in Snape's large hands. "Me?" He managed to ask.

"You," Snape confirmed. "You must Occlude everything of our relationship. If the Dark Lord has the slightest inclination that you care for me, or the inverse, both our lives will be at serious risk. Do you understand?" Snape's dark eyes were locked with Harry's, unblinking. The seconds of silence were heavy feeling, like minutes.

Harry whispered, "You care for me?"

Snape rolled his eyes, he hands moving back to the bed coverings. "Do you think I would put my life in danger if I did not, Potter? You are more than The-Boy-Who-Lived to me. You should realize that by now."

Harry gave him a half shrug in response. His eyes were fixed on the man's long fingers, only centimeters from his own. He took in a small scar on the side of Snape's left index finger.

"None of that, Potter. There is no time," Snape said, "Do you believe me, Harry."

Harry nodded, his gaze still on the Potions Master's hardworking hands.

"Harry," Snape asked his tone not quite pleading.

"I know," Harry managed.

"I must go now," Snape said standing. "Madame Pomfrey is to give you a measure of Dreamless Sleep. It will enable you to sleep through the night. I will return as soon as possible. Harry, you must Occude from this moment on.  You must have your shields up for the remainder of the war. Many lives are at risk."

Harry made another silent nod.

Snape rose from the bed in a flurry of black material. Harry wasn't sure how Professor Snape was going to join the Death Eaters. Harry pushed the thoughts away, burying them under his shields. He couldn't think about that now. He needed to keep Professor Snape safe. If the Voldemort entered his mind now, Professor Snape or others could die. Harry could be responsible for that. No, he would Occlude all of that like the professor told him.

Madame Pomfrey came back a moment later followed by Mrs. Weasley.

"You need to take this, Mr. Potter, it will help you sleep."

Madame Pomfrey instructed. In her hand, she held a glass with a thick purple liquid in it.

Harry shook his head, "Not yet."

The nurse frowned, "Mr. Potter, do not argue with me."

Harry shook his head, "Not yet."

Mrs. Weasley sat in the spot just vacated by the Potions Master,
"Why not, Harry dear?"

"I have...I have to...I need to clear my mind...Get my shields up..." Harry stammered.

"Do what you need then, love," Mrs. Weasley said patting his blanket covered knee.

Harry said in silence trying to calm his mind. "I can't,"  he cried throwing his back onto the pillows behind him. The tears following from his emerald eyes once more.

"Oh dearie," Mrs. Weasley scooped Harry into a tight embrace, holding Harry tight as he sobbed uncomfortably into her shoulder. It was the closest thing he had ever had to a mother's hug since Lily Potter died thirteen years before. Harry didn't know how long he cried, or how long she held him in her warm embrace. His sobs decreased, into gentle snuffling.   His thoughts becoming less frantic.

"How about you try those shields now?" Mrs. Weasley inquired.

It was too hard to think, so much had happened tonight. He shoved everything related to the night under his shields. He didn't want to think about Professor Snape in danger. He didn't want to think about Voldemort returned to power. He didn't want to think about Cedric. With this, the tears began to creep up on him once more. Mrs. Weasley put the cup to his lips making him drink. He was asleep before his head hit the pillow.

Harry woke hours later, the sunlight streaming into the ward. On one side of his bed, Remus sat reading a potions journal. The other Sirius half-lay, half-sat in an armchair, his robes thrown over him like a blanket.

"Harry," Remus greeted setting aside his reading.

"Hi," Harry mumbled, fumbling for his glasses.

Remus picked them up from the nightstand and placed them in Harry's outstretched palm. "How are you feeling?"

Harry ignored the question, struggling to sit up he asked,  "Where's Professor Snape? Is he back?"

Remus pushed him back onto his pillows, "Severus is fine. He's back in his quarters. I will let him know you were asking about him, but you need your rest, Harry."

"I'm fine," Harry said trying to sit up once more.

"Sirius, aren't you going to help?"

Sirius let out a wide yawn, "Looks like you got it handled, Moony."

Remus pushed Harry back to the mattress. "Stay there."

Harry stopped struggling and lay back. "Can I see Neville and Hermione?"

"Harry, they're a few things we need to discuss before you see anyone," Remus said gently.

Harry frowned, Remus's expression was making him uncomfortable.

"What's wrong," Harry asked.

"Harry," Remus almost sighed. "The Ministry..."

"The Ministry doesn't believe you, kid," Sirius said finally sitting up properly. He stood and put his rumpled robes back on properly over his shirt and trousers.

"What? What don't they believe?" Harry asked, shaking his head softly from side to side.

"The tossers don't believe any of it," Sirius told him firmly.

"Padfoot," Remus chastised softly.

"He deserves the truth, Remus," Sirius said to his friend. "Fudge is a terrified idiot. He doesn't want to believe Voldemort is back. He's saying the Diggory boy died in a tragic accident. He's telling the papers that it was the trauma of witnessing that that made you say all those things last night."

"But it wasn't just me," Harry protested.

"Yeah well, Snape isn't the world's most loved Death Eater," Sirius grumbled.

"Dumbledore though," Harry continued.

"Even more reason not to back you up," Sirius said, brushing the hair out of his eyes. "Fudge has never had a firm hold on his job since my escape. Even before he was never very confident. He was always asking Dumbledore for what he should do. It was like a little kid borrowing their dad's robes, they don't fit. If he admits Voldemort is back, he's afraid people will want someone else to lead them. I wouldn't be surprised if a Ministry group hasn't come by to see him already."

"Barty Crouch Jr," Harry tried.

"The Dementor Fudge brought with him Kiss him before Crouch could admit the lot," Sirius explained.

"They killed Cedric," Harry moaned.  

"They did," Sirius confirmed. "He's the first to die in a war that will take many more."

"That's enough, Sirius," Remus said cutting off his friend. "Let's get you something to eat, Harry."

"I'm not hungry," Harry said staring at the blankets trying to understand all that Sirius said.

"Harry, you need to eat,"  Remus said.

"I'm not hungry," Harry repeated.

Remus ordered a plate anyway, keeping under a Heating Charm.

Harry lay on his bed processing what Sirius told him that morning still, working on what Professor Snape said the night before. Sirius and Remus let him be, keeping a careful eye on him. Dumbledore and the Minister of Magic arrived a short while before dinner.

"Here are your winnings, Harry. We would normally make a formal presentation but given the circumstances..." Minister Fudge said twisting his lime-green bowler hat agitated.

Harry shook his head. "I don't want it."

"Harry, they're your winnings. You earned them," Fudge replied.

Harry shook his head again, "Cedric got there first. He should have won. Give it to his family."

"I will leave that to you," Fudge said stepping back.

"Minister," Harry said looking away from the bag of gold sitting on his nightstand.

"Yes my boy," Fudge said placing his hat back on.

"I wasn't lying," Harry said firmly.

"Ahhh...yes..." Fudge stumbled, "Yes, I believe that you believe that..." He walked away from them without another word.

"Alright there Harry," Sirius asked.

Harry shook his head. "Can I talk to Cedric's mum and dad?"

"Are you sure you want to?" Remus asked.

Harry nodded, "They should know what really happened."

"I'll see what we can do." Remus agreed. He put a plate in front of Harry. "Try and eat something. I know you're not hungry, but you need to eat."

Harry didn't protest this time but ate less than half of what he was given. Neither of the adults said a word about it. Harry and Remus played chess until Neville and Hermione arrived after dinner. They brought armloads of cards and get well gifts from their fellow students. Harry wanted to be sick just looking at them.

His friends didn't want to know what happened in the maze or after. They didn't ask how Cedric died, or how he got back. Harry wouldn't ever be able to find enough words to express his thanks for that. Instead, they talked about the summer, what they might like to do, places to go. Before the Third Task, Harry knew he was going to spend most of the summer making Sirius' old house livable, now what seemed like mind-numbing chores were a looked forward to distraction.

The Diggorys arrived the next morning, escorted by Mr. Weasley. Mr. Diggory was a mess, torn to pieces by the loss of his only child. Mrs. Diggory was quiet but no less heartbroken. Her pain, past the point of tears. Harry told them all, trying to explain how Cedric had died. Mrs. Diggory thanked him for bringing back her son's body.

"You should have this," Harry said shoving the bag at her. "It should've been Cedric's, he got there first."

Mrs. Diggory looked at Harry, a sad smile, "No dear. That's yours. Cedric would have wanted you to have it."

Dejected Harry's hand fell back to the bed. He sighed unsure of what to do with the coins now. He didn't need the money and wanted nothing to do with it. Maybe he could give it away. The Weasley could use the money, but Harry knew they would never take it. The same was true for Remus.

Sirius and Remus went home the next morning. They let Harry decide if he wanted to take the train or Floo to Sirius' new home. Harry wasn't sure what he wanted to do, it wouldn't feel right not taking the train with the others. But then again, he wasn't sure he wanted people to look at him, asking questions. He was very glad to be locked away in the Hospital Wing in some ways.

Madame Pomfrey cast yet another diagnosis spell over Harry. Like the last ten, it showed nothing was significantly wrong with Harry. His blood pressure was a bit high, but it was put down to stress. With another wave of her wand a silver hummingbird appeared and darted out of the room. A silver doe returned a moment later. Madame Pomfrey pulled the curtains further shut. Harry stopped eating, not really interested in his dinner anyway. He listened for further sounds as he pushed around the remaining bits of his stew with little interest. There was a rush of the Floo flaring to life and mutterings too soft for Harry to make out what was being said.

"You keep that up and Lupin will start watching your every bite," Professor Snape said taking a seat that Sirius occupied for the last several days. His approach so quiet and Harry so lost in his thoughts he had realized the man had come to join him. Harry shrugged.

"Do desist with that apathetic gesture," Snape demanded. "What is the matter, Potter?"

"Where were you?" Harry asked pushing the tray away. "Remus said you were coming by and you never did.  It's been days."

"Potter, did you not understand a single word of what I said before I left?"

Harry cocked his head to the side.

"Harry, even you must realize how dangerous it is for me to visit you now. It is well known that Black and I despise one another.  I had no desire to row with the mutt in front of you. More so the point, what questions might arise if the wrong people were to find out I had visited you in your sick bed?  Why would I visit a student not in my own house, a child I am supposed to despise?  Could you have managed to maintain your wards properly under that stress?"

Harry sigh, "I know.  I was just worried."

"I understand, Potter." Snape said softly.  "However, the need for decression is even greater now the Dark Lord had returned. The Ministry's refusal to see the truth puts all lives at risk.  We must be viligant in all of our actions and inactions."

Harry was released from the Hospital Wing the evening before the train was to leave for London. The normal end of term feast was canceled, a memorial service was being held for Cedric before they all boarded the train back to London.

Harry didn't know what to expect at this memorial service. If there was anything done for his parents, he was too young to remember, not that the Dursleys would have attended any sort of wizarding memorial service. Dobby had packed Harry's bags the night before, under the request of Professor Snape, so he was free to wander the corridors after breakfast.  Harry found Luna carrying an armload of books.

"People still hiding your things?" Harry asked taking a few off the top of the precarious pile.

"Hullo Harry," Luna said dreamily. "They are, but I think I've found everything. Don't you need to be packing?"

Harry shook his head, "Somebody bribed one of the house elves to do it for me last night. I just got out of the Hospital Wing."

Luna stopped walking, Harry paused to stand beside her. He needed her to lead the way, he had no idea where the door to the Ravenclaw Common Room was. She stood in silence taking Harry in, her blue eyes seeing more than his outside. Harry wasn't as unnerved as he was when Professor Snape or Headmaster Dumbledore did the same action.

"You shouldn't push everything down, Harry," Luna said softly.

"I'm not pushing anything down."

"You are only hiding from yourself when you deny what happened," Luna countered.

Like so often, Harry didn't know what to say to that. Luna led him to a door on the six floor in the south tower. Luna picked up the knocker that was made of the tail of an eagle.

"I shouldn't hear your password, Luna," Harry warned.

A reedy voice asked, "What gets broken without being held?"

"Wait, you don't have a password?" Harry asked as Luna pondered the inquiry.

"No, of course not," Luna said more distracted than usual.

"But what if you can't figure it out?" Harry asked.

"Then you wait until somebody can, how else are you to learn?" Luna said, before turning back to the door. "A promise."

"Acceptable," the eagle said before the door swung open.

"I think I like my passwords better," Harry mumbled mostly to himself.

Luna motioned for him to return her books. Harry placed them back on top of the large stack reaching just under her nose.

"Luna, you should come sit with me and my friends...at the... for the memorial service...or on the train." Harry offered.

The door closed before he was able to hear her response. It felt wrong just waiting outside the Common Room, so Harry walked back downstairs. Slowly more and more students began to drift into the Great Hall. Unlike any other event, people were not sitting with their houses or their school.

"Harry, would you mind if I sat with Viktor?" Hermione asked, looking from Harry and over her shoulder to the boy sitting with a number of his fellow students from Durmstrang. Krum had become the surrogate head of the school after Karkaroff disappeared as the Dark Mark burned.

"Go ahead," Harry said giving his friend a weak smile.

Neville sat hand in hand with Ginny. Luna did not join them, Harry didn't actually see her at the service at all. Dumbledore spoke about Cedric being slain. The headmaster did not mince words, he said Cedric was murdered by Voldemort. Harry noticed a few children of Death Eaters were not saddened by the mention of the murder of their schoolmate, they seem to revel in the mention of an upcoming war.

Harry saw Cho Chang sitting in the front tears running down her face.  She was dating Cedric according to Lavender Brown. Harry tried to focus on Dumbledore's words about coming together as one and facing the evil ahead, but his attention kept drifting. He watched the professors' guarded expressions, the reaction of the students from Beauxbaton and Durmstrang at the call for unity.

The crowd dismissed there was a bustle as students shuffled to say goodbye to their new foreign friends. Krum came over with Hermione almost wrapped around the boy's Quidditch toned arm.

"I'm sorry about Diggory," Krum said extending a hand to Harry. "He never treated me differently because I was from Durmstrang."

"Yeah," Harry agreed. "Are you going to have any trouble with your ship with Karkaroff gone?"

"No, he stayed in cabin," Krum informed them. "I must goes."

"Yeah," Harry said shaking the boy's hand again.

The Quidditch star leaned down and placed a kiss on Hermione's lips. Harry didn't miss the wolf whistles from Fred and George. Hermione turned as red as her tormentors' hair.

"We're only joking, Hermione," Fred reassured.

"Mind, if he hurts you, you know who you'll have to answer to," George said to Krum.

The boy raised a heavy black brow.

"Our Hermione doesn't have any brothers by blood, but she's as good as one of us," Fred said.

"So you'll be having to answer to all six of us if you hurt her," George finished for his brother.

"I would never," Krum promised.

"Good," the twins said together.

Fleur came to say goodbye as well. She made sure to kiss Neville on the cheek as well. Harry hoped he would see both of them again.

The train ride was mostly a daze when Harry tried to think back to it.  Hermione showed them a glass jar with a small bug inside, it turned out Rita Skeeter was unregistered Animagus.  That was how she got her stories all year.  Hermione had caught her in the Hospital Wing just after Harry fell asleep.  She promised to keep Skeeter's secret as long as the report did not reveal anything she heard the night of the Third Task and published no stories for the next year.  

The the other thing he remembered was giving his Triwizard winnings to a worthy cause. Fred and George had lost all their savings to Bagman at the Quidditch Cup and no funds with which to launch their joke shop, a year before they were to leave school. Harry threatened to hex them if they refused to take the thousand galleon prize. They could start it with that.

Remus and Sirius were chatting with the Weasleys as they waited for Harry and the others to arrive. Harry gladly accepted the hugs from Mrs. Weasley and then her husband. Sirius didn't seem to want to let go of Harry after his own hug, he kept a hand firmly on Harry's shoulder as they said their goodbyes. Harry didn't know exactly where they were going when they left the station, but that seemed fitting as they were all facing the unknown with Voldemort's return.

The End.
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I apologize for the slight delay.
Thanks, everyone who took the time to fill out my survey. It was basically a tie so I am going to keep posting as one long chapter. This may change in the future, or perhaps I'll break the chapters up after the story is finished.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3382