Seasons of Love by Stump_Pan
Summary: How different would things be if Snape went to pick up Harry instead of Hagrid?

Snapshots of how things might have been through all seven years by season.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Canon, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year, 5th summer, 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 207949 Read: 116907 Published: 10 Feb 2017 Updated: 02 Sep 2017
Summer 1995 by Stump_Pan

Harry woke, screaming for the fourth time in as many days. He pushed his sweat-soaked hair out of his eyes and made his way downstairs. There was no way he was going to get back to sleep. He didn't want even if he could. One visit to the graveyard was bad enough.

"'Lo Remus," Harry greeted as he sank onto one of the benches at the long wooden table.

The wizard folded down the right corner of his paper to observe the teen. His worn features turned down in disapproval at the heavy bags under Harry's dimmed emerald eyes. The boy had lost weight too.

It was a good thing Molly was arriving later that day, she would be able to make Harry eat. Remus wasn't the best cook and Sirius could burn water. How his friend could make NEWT level Potions without batting an eye, yet couldn't make a simple pasta dish was beyond Remus' understanding. Kreacher, the Black family's house-elf, did all the cooking when Sirius was growing up. Now, they were lucky if the horrid thing would serve them moldy bread.    

"Good morning, Harry," Remus replied. He folded up his paper and set it aside. "How did you sleep?"

Harry shrugged, noncommittally as he poured himself a cup of coffee from the carafe on the table.

"It's early yet, are you sure you don't want to go back to sleep for a few more hours?" Remus suggested. "I don't want to face Molly Weasley thinking we can't look after you properly."

"I'm fine, Remus," Harry grumbled.

"You're not. That's to be expected after what happened to you in that graveyard, Harry." Remus tried to reassure Harry.

"I don't want to talk about this," Harry said slamming his mug down to the table. A little of the hot liquid sloshing out and scalding his hand.

"Harry," Remus soothed.

"No," Harry snapped, "I'm fine." He shoved away from the table, the bench falling backward with the force.

He stormed out of the room coffee still in hand. He was careful out in the hallway avoiding the troll-leg umbrella stand or waking the portrait of Sirius' mother's portrait. He didn't know where he wanted to go. Remus would come looking for him in his room, the same with the library. He pushed open the door to one of the unoccupied bedrooms on the third floor. The twins could probably do well in this room. There was more storage than the other rooms, it was also away from the rest of the guests so any unusual sounds or smells were more likely to go unnoticed.

Harry glared down at the cup in his hand. He didn't know why he had it, he didn't want it. He flung it across the room coffee flying in all directions soaking into one of the unused twin beds. The porcelain mugs shattered into pieces with a satisfactory crash. The only damage to the wall, a small coffee stain at the chair railing.

His rage subsidies, he fell into the nearest of the worn mattresses. The room was a mess, the coffee wasn't the only problem. It was clear Kreacher hadn't been in this room for a good deal of time. Well, now was a good a time as any.

"Kreacher," Harry called. "Kreacher," he tried again. He sighed when the creature didn't come. He wasn't surprised by this, Harry may be Sirius' ward, but he was not a Black. They were fairly certain the elf would only listen to a Black that was listed on the family tapestry.  

Harry groaned and walked down the stairs looking out for the lurking house elf. He found him peering around the door frame of the drawing room.

"Kreacher, you need to clean that bedroom on the third floor," Harry ordered.

"The Potter brat is speaking to Kreacher," Kreacher mumbled to himself.

"Hey," Harry objected, "don't talk about me like that."

"What's the matter," Sirius asked, stumbling out of his room, his long hair still messy from sleep.

"Potter brat is ordering Kreacher and Kreacher is doing it," Kreacher muttered to himself to Sirius' question.

"Cut that out Kreacher," Sirius snapped. "Harry is my ward, you're to treat Harry as if he were my son, by blood."

"Master Sirius, embarrassment to the noble name of Black is ordering Kreacher to treat Potter blood-traitor like a Black. Oh, what would mistress have to say!" The house mumbled to himself once more.

"Why I ought to," Sirius said raising a fist.

"What's going on?" Remus said coming to join the pair of wizards.

"I was just asking Kreacher to clean the bedroom on the third floor. I thought it would be good for Fred and George.  They could work on their products without disturbing anyone else up there." Harry explained.

"I see,"  said Remus. "Kreacher, could you please prepare the bedroom upstairs for our guests that will be arriving this afternoon?"

"The werewolf is making demands of Kreacher now. Oh, what would my old mistress have to say?" Kreacher mumbled.

"Just do it," Sirius demanded, kicking at the house elf.

The creature disappeared with a loud crack.

"You really should try and be nicer to him, Sirius," Remus chided.

"You heard how he was talking about me and Harry, Moony," Sirius remarked.

"Yes, I did," Remus confirmed. "It's not his fault that he thinks that way. He served your family all his life. Do I need to remind you what your mother said to me the first time we meet? And that was only for being half-blood. Imagine what she could have come up with if she knew about my condition?"

Sirius sighed, "I know. I just hate being back here."

"Why do we have to? " Harry asked. He wasn't very fond of the creepy house. The heads of the house elves that served the family before Kreacher lining the stairwell, the screaming portrait of Sirius' mother.

"My great grandfather was obsessed with security, this is probably one of the most secure places in Britain that aren't Hogwarts or Gringotts. It is unplottable, anti-Muggle, and any other wards you can think of," Sirius explained. "Dumbledore casting the Fidelius will make it all but as safe as either of those."

"Okay," Harry agreed reluctantly.

"Let's go have breakfast and then we can get to work on the bedrooms. Our guests should have decent accommodations for their stay," Remus suggested.

The others followed not very ecstatic. Harry helped fry the bacon and make another pot of coffee. Remus manned the eggs and tomatoes. There was little conversation as the three ate, or ever as they prepared the bedrooms for the Weasleys arrival. Sirius had volunteered the house to be the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix. What exactly the Order was, neither of the men had exactly explained to Harry.  

There was a lot to do to get rooms that hadn't been used for a decade or ready for use. It was made slower by doing things the Muggle way. Sirius warned it was highly possible that objects or even whole rooms could be booby trapped. Harry found a biting book in the nightstand in room they were setting aside for Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. They were only able to get it finished before lunch.

The arrival of the Weasleys was announced by the insane screams of Mrs. Black as they rang the doorbell.

"We're going to have to make sure not to do that in the future," Remus remarked to Harry as they pulled close the curtains. Harry nodded as the curtains closed silencing her bigoted rantings.

"Hey Harry mate," Fred greeted as he moved past the troll leg umbrella stand.

"FILTH! VERMIN! POPULATING HOUSE OF MY FATHERS!" Walburga Black's portrait screamed.

Harry groaned and dove for the curtains again. Fred and George went for the other side, they were able to get it shut with not too much difficulty. Harry jerked his head back to the side, back down the stairs towards the kitchen. The twins followed him.
The rest of the Weasley family was already sitting around the kitchen table. Mrs. Weasley popped to her feet at Harry's arrival.

"Hello Harry dear," she said pulling him into a fierce hug.

"Hi Mrs. Weasley," Harry mumbled embarrassed as Fred and George made faces at him over her shoulder. Harry rolled his eyes at him.

Mrs. Weasley pushed him away from her, "You're too skinny, dear." She fixed her glare on Harry's guardians. "Have you been feeding him at all?"

"We have," Remus reassured.

"Well, I'm here now, we'll fatten you right up." Mrs. Weasley said giving Harry's upper arms another squeeze.

"I'm fine, Mrs. Weasley," Harry groaned.

"You've got bags under your eyes, have you been sleeping?"

Harry looked to the table for assistance. Fred and George shook their heads in unison.

Mr. Weasley came to his rescue, "Hello Harry. Come now Molly, I'm sure Remus and Sirius have been taking wonderful care of Harry." Mr. Weasley said moving from to stand next to his wife.

Harry took Mr. Weasley's hand, "Hi. I'm fine really. Remus and Sirius are looking after me, I promise."

"Of course they are dear. I'll make us some lunch." Mrs. Weasley bustled around the kitchen locating pots and pans that none of the residents knew existed. It didn't take Mrs. Weasley to whip up for the seven of them at the house. It was the best thing he had had to eat since leaving Hogwarts.

"Have you heard from Hermione," Ginny asked passing the basket of bread to George.

Harry shook his head, "Not yet. She's not supposed to leave until next month I think."

"Where's Hermione going?"  Mr. Weasley asked interestedly.

"Bulgaria," said Fred.

"To see her boyfriend, Viktor," teased George, "Viktor Krum."

Ron groaned in disapproval.

"That's nice for her," Mrs. Weasley said, her tone not totally approving.

"She's going with her parents to see some of the historical places or something." Harry corrected.

That seemed to make Mrs. Weasley a bit happier. Sirius led the tour of the house after lunch. Harry and Ron were to share the room Harry currently occupied. It was one of the few that were properly cleared of troublesome objects and magical pests. Harry made sure to warn the others to lock their doors at night as Kreacher had a habit of coming in the middle of the night to "clean".

The Weasleys spent the rest of the day settling into Number Twelve Grimmauld Place. Dumbledore was supposed to arrive after dinner to put on the last of the wards to the house including casting the Fidelius Charm. He would also bring in the members of the Order so far.

Harry wondered how many there could be at this point.  Sirius mentioned the fact that some were certainly members during the last war, like he and Remus. Remus reminded Harry Neville's parents were also.  Mrs. Weasley got a bit teary eyed when she mentioned her brothers Fabian and Gideon were members as well. Who would return was now the question.

Mrs. Weasley came up with a fabulous stew for dinner. The seven expanded to a full dozen for the evening meal. A tall, black, Auror, with a gold ear stud, Kingsley Shacklebolt, joined them. He was the first new person to join other than Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Along with Kingsley came the headmaster, Professor McGonagall, Mad-Eye Moody, and Dedalus Diggle.

Harry had actually met the top hat wearing wizard once before, at about age seven. He had bowed to Harry outside a shop. Aunt Petunia had demanded to know if Harry knew the man. When Harry said he didn't know him, she rushed them back home without even going inside to do their shopping. Harry was surprised the man didn't burst from excitement when Harry told the man he remembered him from this encounter.

Harry knew Dumbledore was considered by many to be the greatest wizard of the age, if not of all-time, but the teen had never seen the man do that complex of magic. He drew up a chair for Professor Trelawney for Christmas dinner, vanished a few things, spells most NEWT students at Hogwarts could accomplish. The Fidelius was unlike anything Harry had ever seen before.  

Harry was inside the building of Number Twelve when Dumbledore cast the spell. Harry could feel it as the spell took hold. It was like the address of where they were slipped from his mind until the headmaster gave him a piece of parchment with the address in Dumbledore's own fine script announced, "Number Twelve Grimmauld Place, the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix."

"Harry," Dumbledore called as reentered the house.

Harry looked up at the man, "Yes sir?"

"Come and speak with me a moment," Dumbledore said directing them into the drawing room.

Harry followed dutifully. "I wouldn't sit down," Harry suggested as the headmaster closed the door behind Harry.

"How are you, my boy?" Dumbledore smiled the way he always did at Harry. His half-moon spectacles glinting in the firelight.

Harry shrugged.

"Have you been practicing your Occlumency?"

Harry nodded, "Yes sir."

"Good, that will be very import in the future Harry. Voldemort must not be able to enter your mind." Dumbledore said more seriously than Harry had ever heard him.

"I know. Professor Snape told me...told me the night Cedric...the night in the graveyard," Harry explained.

A look crossed Dumbledore's face Harry couldn't quite name. "Severus will be in a great deal of danger, Harry. You must do all that you can to help protect him."

Harry looked down at his shoes, "I know."

"Harry," Dumbledore said again softly, Harry looked back up at him. "My boy, I know you and Severus have formed a bond over these last several years."

Harry slumped in one himself, "He can't be there for me now. He has to make sure Voldemort or anyone doesn't think he cares about me."

"I'm sorry, my boy," Dumbledore said placing a hand on Harry's thin shoulder.

"What about my Occlumency lessons?" Harry asked.

"Those will have to end. We no longer have the cover of him helping you prepare for the upcoming task of the Triwizard Tournament. If you wish, I can assist you with them." Dumbledore offered.

Harry shook his head, "No sir, I couldn't ask you to do that.  You've got," Harry motioned around the room, "all this and what's going to Hogwarts too."

"Very well, but the offer stands if you change your mind."

Harry nodded, "Thank you, sir."

Harry left the headmaster standing in the drawing room, going upstairs to Fred and George's new room. He tried to turn the knob, but the door was locked.

Harry raised a fist and tapped on the door.

"Bugger off Ron," one or both of the twins yelled, Harry couldn't tell through the distortion of the wooden door.

"It's Harry," the boy in question corrected.

Fred appeared an instant later opening the door enough to pull the younger skinny boy through the crack before shutting and locking it once more.

"What's wrong?" Harry demanded. "Why did I get to come in if you told Ron to bugger off?"

"We're organizing our merchandise. We don't want Mum to know. She doesn't approve of the joke shop idea. She thinks we should do something more respectable. She's already destroyed all of our products once." George explained.

"Respectable? Like what?" Harry asked taking a seat on the right side bed.

"It used to be the Ministry. Not sure she's as hot on that idea now with you know, how Fudge took the news with You-Know-Who," said Fred. "If Percy wasn't being such an arse we wouldn't even bother going back this year."

Harry looked at him mildly confused, "What do you mean? What's Percy done?"

"He's siding with Fudge, if the Ministry says You-Know-Who isn't back, he can't possibly be back. It's like the sun shines out of Fudge's arse."

"I think he's doing it because of the job. He got a fancy promotion a couple of days ago. He spent months taking orders from owls from his Imperio-ed boss and didn't notice a thing was wrong. The Ministry lot was going to investigate him, then next you know, he's got a fancy job in the Minister of Magic's office. He wouldn't listen when Dad tried to tell him that they gave it to him since the family is close to you." George commented as he placed several long thin boxes next to Harry on the bed.

Harry frowned, "Do you think he'll come around?"

Fred shrugged, the action mirrored by his mirror image.
"I think sometimes he was Sorted into the wrong house," Fred grumbled as he added more things to the piles on the bed.

"So," Harry said feeling they needed a change in topics, "What's all this?"

"Our wares, dear Harry," Fred said with a wicked grin. "This is Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, the finest joke shop around. As our first backer, you're entitled to see our preliminary products.

George flopped down across the Harry, "Since we don't much care about our exam results we figure we can put this time to good use. We'll find out what the students are most looking for in a joke shop."

The two had managed to sneak in a fair amount of products under their school books and supplies. There were colorful sweets wrapped in one large bag. In another were what looked like custard tarts.

"Looks like you have a lot of things for your mum destroying everything thing. What are those?" Harry said spotting a violently purple tube. It wasn't a fake wand, those came in boxes, if one wasn't paying close attention, would think came from Ollivander's Wand Shop.

"They're our version of wet-start fireworks. They still need work," George said sadly.

Harry nodded. Yes, he was very glad he had suggested this room for his friends. Hopefully, the others in the house would be spared any sort of disturbance from their experiments up here.

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

"When does Hermione get back," Mrs. Weasley asked as they sat down for his birthday dinner.

Harry took a large helping of potatoes and passed the dish on. He was always hungry recently, it was probably due to the several inches he had grown in the weeks he had been back from Hogwarts. "Next week, I think. She's had a couple of changes in plans. Her dad wanted to go see a castle or something and Viktor had a game he invited them to," he explained

"It will nice to have her back won't it dear," Mrs. Weasley asked.

"Yeah," Harry agreed.

"She goes on and on about all the places she been, six hundred years of history about some balmy old castle," Ron remarked.

"Then you don't have to listen," Fred reminded him.

"Yeah, nobody wants to hear all your questions about how wonderful Krum is, git," added his twin.

"Fred, George," Mr. Weasley chided.

"It'll be nice to finally meet her," Tonks a bright pink haired witch. She was a new member of the Order. She was only a few years older than Harry and the rest, a classmate of Charlie Weasley. She was a metamorphagus, meaning she should change her appearance at will. It was a bit of a game at dinner requesting her to make her nose into various configurations. Harry wasn't sure Mrs. Weasley totally approved, but everyone got a good laugh from it.

The dinner talk was light and pleasant. Mrs. Weasley dimmed the lights in preparation for bringing in the cake. She firmly refused to let Tonks help. The young woman may be an Auror, but she was the least coordinated person Harry had ever met. Her clumsiness had nearly stopped her from passing her Auror qualifications.

Mrs. Weasley returned a moment later, a huge dragon-shaped cake with candles already lit. Helping her carry it was Hermione. Harry blew out the candles before running over and giving his best friend a hug.

Much to Ron's horror, she spent the rest of the evening the center of conversation. She told them of meeting Krum's family, the difference in wizarding culture in Bulgaria. Even an amusing story about Krum trying to get her on his broom to fly with him. There was no talk of six hundred years of a castle's history.   

After dessert, everyone headed upstairs to bed. Hermione followed Harry up to his room for a chance to speak in private.  Harry hadn't done much to his room other than placing a few Gryffindor poster over top the faded Slytherin hangings. There were still the previous occupation papers and things scattered on the floor and desk. After spending his days cleaning the manner, the last thing he wanted to do was clean his room.

Hermione took a seat on Harry's bed. "How have you been? You haven't said much in your letters."

Harry shrugged sitting next to her, his back braced one of the posters. "We're not supposed to put much in there, in case the letter is intercepted."

"Harry."

The boy didn't say anything.

"Why aren't you sharing a room with Ron anymore?"

"He doesn't like being woken up in the middle of the night by someone else's nightmares." Harry had stopped sharing a room with the week or so before. Ron had complained about Harry's frequent nightmares and talking in his sleep. Harry had moved into the room across from Sirius. The room had once belonged to Sirius' younger brother, Regulus.

"Oh Harry," Hermione said softly.

Harry shrugged.

"Are they all about the graveyard?" She asked concerned.

"I don't want to talk about it, Hermione." He said it a bit more firmly than intended.

"I'm sorry, Harry. I'm just worried."

"I'm fine," Harry insisted. He shoved his anger under his shields.

"Everybody keeps asking me about it. I don't want to talk about it anymore. I'm fine."

Hermione didn't want to hurt her friend anymore so changed the topic, "What do you know about what the Order is doing?"

Harry shook his head, "Not that much. There's lots of talk about guard duty and shifts. We don't know where. We've seen Professor Snape a few times, but he doesn't stay. You know how he and Sirius don't get on."

"Sirius said you've been time cleaning up the house," Hermione began.

"Yeah," Harry confirmed, "not that you can really tell. This place is a disaster. And that mad old house elf Kreacher isn't much help."

"Harry," Hermione chided.

"He's horrible. Just you wait and see. He's always muttering terrible things about all of us, "blood-traitors", "Mudbloods", "filth". You should hear some of the horrible things he has to say about Remus." Harry defended.

"It's not his fault, Harry. He's been alone in this house by himself for years. His masters were horribly bigoted people, he knows no better." Hermione countered.

"Whatever," grumbled Harry.

"In all this cleaning, have you found anything interesting?"
Harry chuckled, "There was this set of robes that tried to strangle Ron the other day."

"That's horrible," Hermione gasped.

"Oh yeah, it was, but after Fred and George kept making fun of him so Ron "accidentally" turned their hair green for three days," Harry said chuckling once more. "There was this weird locket not of us could get open. Sirius didn't recognize it though. Most of the stuff is pretty dark. We're not keeping anything."

Hermione nodded.

"So, how was Bulgaria?" Harry asked happy to turn things back on Hermione for awhile.

Hermione blushed slightly and told him all about the parts of her trip that she wouldn't dare share in front of Ron or the twins.

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

"Are you sure you're alright mate?" Fred asked.

Harry couldn't take it anymore. He needed to get out of here. He needed to breathe. He couldn't handle one more person asking him how he was feeling.

Harry grabbed his wand and a jacket and headed out the front door. He didn't know where he was going, but it didn't matter. In a couple of months, he had been living in this house in London he hadn't explored the neighborhood at all. Sirius and Remus had taken him to Diagon Alley a week or so before, but they had Apparated there and back. He watched as Number Twelve seemed to melt between numbers eleven and thirteen.

The Muggle neighborhood that Sirius' house was located in was a bit different than Little Whinging. Harry headed aimlessly down the road. He shoved his hands deeper into his pockets of his jeans. It was surprisingly cool for how dry as it had been there. He wished he thought to grab his Muggle money, not that he was sure he would spend it on. The cool night air prickled the hairs on the back of his neck.

Harry nodded as he passed a Muggle couple passed him their days shopping in hand. He turned the corner spotting a small shop maybe he could go in there and look. He kicked a can down the street, then a bit further when he caught up to it. He stopped a familiar, unsettling feeling creeping up on him.

A high cold laugh, the laugh from the graveyard, then there was the voice, Lily's last words, "Not Harry!"

Three Dementors were gliding down the street, the one closest to Harry with its rotten hand extended out to Harry.

"Expecto Patronum!" Harry yelled his silver doe charging the creatures down.  

"You shouldn't have done that boy," Mundungus said behind Harry.

Harry turned around.  "What are you doing here?"

"I was outside smoking, minding my own business when you stormed out. I was supposed to keep an eye out, make sure you didn't get in trouble," Mundungus explained. "I didn't ask for Dementors. Go back to the house, Sirius or somebody can deal with this mess."

Harry ran down back down the road, his wand still held firmly in his fist. He didn't ponder the wonders of the magic of Number Twelve reappearing before him as he ran up the front steps.  He shoved the front door open knocking over the troll leg umbrella stand.  The portrait's screams and Harry's pounding competing to block out another sound.

"Harry!" Sirius said pulling the boy further into the house.
"What in the name of Merlin happened. We just received an owl from the Ministry. What are you doing casting a Patronus in the middle of a Muggle street, kid?"

"The Ministry's already sent a letter?" Harry asked, his breathing returning to normal, but shoulders slumping. "Did they expel me?"

Sirius only nodded.

"Dumbledore was here, he's going to have a word them, see if he can sort things out. What happened Harry?" Remus asked leading the boy downstairs to the kitchen.

The hall was silent once more, somebody must have shut the curtains on the painting once more.  A number of people were still sitting around the table. Harry's encounter and abrupt return must have disturbed the normal meeting proceedings. There were still diagrams spread across the length of the oak table. Bill shoved them away as Mrs. Weasley brought around tea for everyone.

"Drink this, Harry dear," Mrs. Weasley ordered placing a full mug on the table in front of Harry. "Arthur's gone with Dumbledore to see if he can help sort out this mess. He's got some friends in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement."

Harry nodded slipping his hands around the mug, thankfully for the warmth. His heart jumping into his throat at the loud cracking sound, but it was only Remus breaking up a Honeydukes Best Chocolate Bar.

"You should have some of this," the werewolf said placing a large chunk into the teen's hand.

"Thanks," Harry mumbled before biting half off. He felt the warmth return to the tips of his fingers.

"What happened Harry?" Hermione asked sitting across from her friend.

"I was walking down the lane, just going to the shops," Harry twisted the mug slightly. He wasn't looking at any of the concerned people around the table, but at the vanishing contents of his mug. "It sort of got cold, the hairs stood up on the back of my neck..."

"Did you hear the voices again?" Remus asked when Harry didn't complete his sentence.

Harry nodded.

"Oh Harry," Hermione said softly.

If the other people in the room were confused by the statement, they didn't say anything. There was a heavy silence in the room, no one sure what to say. The only sound in the kitchen the loud ticking of an ancient clock next to the pantry.
Everyone looked up anxiously as the Floo flared to life depositing Mr. Weasley in the kitchen. He brushed on the ash on his robes, paying no attention to the group of people completely fixated on his actions, just waiting for him to speak.

"What did they have to say, Arthur," Mrs. Weasley finally demanded.

"Dumbledore has got them to reinstate you, Harry, as a student. The Ministry won't be coming to collect your wand, at least not yet. However, you will have to go and speak to the head of the Magical Law Enforcement office." Mr. Weasley explained.

"That doesn't sound so bad," Ron said.

"If the head doesn't believe Harry, what could happen?" Fred asked.

"Let's not think about that now," Mr. Weasley pushed back.

"No," said Harry firmly. "I want to know."

"Harry, I don't think you need to worry about that. Just tell the truth and you'll be fine," Mr.  Weasley reassured.

"Mr. Weasley, please," Harry pleaded., "Sirius, do you know?"

His godfather's expression was very dark. It always was when they talked about the Ministry of Magic. "The truth doesn't always save you, Arthur. I should know. Twelve years in Azkaban without a trial."

"Sirius, the times were different then," Mrs. Weasley dismissed. "The war had just ended."

If possible, Sirius' expression got even darker. "It's still that idiot, Fudge, in charge."

"What does that all mean for me?" Harry demanded.

Remus gave the teen's shoulders a comforting squeeze. "Arthur is right, just tell the truth, Harry."

"Don't baby him, Remus." Sirius snapped. "If they don't believe you, you'll be expelled. You could even go to Azkaban. The Ministry doesn't want to believe you at the moment, Harry. You've seen what they've been putting in the papers. They're trying to convince everyone you're mad."

"Why?" Harry sighed. "I was trying to tell people Voldemort is back."

Mr. Weasley spoke up once more, "You don't know what it was like the last time, Harry. There is no way to describe the fear, the worry. You never knew if that would be the last time you saw your friend or loved one."

"The fear of distrust," Remus said solemnly. "The fear made me believe Sirius betrayed your parents. Can you imagine a time when you would believe Hermione or Neville would betray you and join Draco?"

All of the students shook their heads. There was nothing in their experiences of their short lives that could come close to that.

"I hope you never do, but this will get worse before it gets better. If we are lucky, the Ministry will come around quickly and do their best to help us to stop Voldemort from gaining any more power." Remus said.

"When does Harry have to go see them," Hermione asked after several moments quiet contemplation.

"He'll get an official notice of the dates in a day or so," Mr. Weasley offered. "Don't worry about it. You did what was right."

Harry gave him an instead nod, "Okay."

The notice came two days later. He had a meeting with Madam Amelia Bones at nine in the morning one week later. Harry's nerves got worse the day got closer. Mrs. Weasley and Sirius tried to distract him and the others by cleaning the house and making it more livable with a renewed vigor.

Harry was glad he wasn't sharing a room with Ron anymore. He was fairly certain the other boy would have hexed him by now if they were. If it wasn't the nightmares of the graveyard, it was of Minister Fudge snapping his wand and sending him off to the Dementors.  Harry spent much of the night before his appointment staring up at the faded star chart on Regulus' ceiling, unable to get to sleep.

Harry stumbled into the kitchen not long after dawn. No one else was there, the only sound coming from the ticking clock and the faint embers in the fireplace. He thought about making himself something to eat, but the very idea nauseated him. He wasn't sure how long he had been absentmindedly tracing patterns into the oak table.

Mr. Weasley was the first to come down. He put on the kettle to start the tea. He offered Harry a weak smile. He would be the one to take Harry to the Ministry this morning. The night before was the full moon. Sirius had spent the night with Remus making sure the werewolf was kept in check. Not that he really needed it. Professor Snape had provided him with a supply Wolfsbane last week. But it helped to provide Remus that extra piece of mind.

Harry wished Sirius was coming with him, but couldn't ask him to do that after such a long night.  Even if Sirius could come, he wouldn't be allowed to be in the meeting with Harry Mr. Weasley explained. So Harry would be facing it alone. He could do that. He had faced Voldemort by himself surrounded by a dozen Death Eaters and survived. He could make it through one meeting with a Ministry official. Everyone in the Order said Madam Bones was very fair and would listen to what Harry had to say.

Mr. Weasley loved everything Muggle, so he insisted they take Muggle transport to the Ministry that morning. Harry helped him navigate how to use the automatic ticket machines and the Muggle currency. Harry tried not to be embarrassed by Mr. Weasley's comments about fascinating Muggle devices and pondering how Muggles managed to get by without magic.

The visitor's entrance to the Ministry of Magic looked like a normal, but rather neglected telephone booth. Mr. Weasley rang the number for the Ministry office. Where the change was normally dispensed instead issued Harry a visitor's badge with his name and the reason for visit, "juvenile delinquent".

The other wizard that worked with Mr. Weasley in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office found them as Harry registered his wand as was required. The man wanted Mr. Weasley to know they had moved up the time and changed the location of Harry's meeting. Instead of meeting in Madam Bones' office they were meeting in Courtroom Ten, a full Wizagumont panel had been assembled. They only had a little over five minutes to get there with the new start time.  Mr. Weasley rushed Harry into the nearest down lift, quickly jabbing the button for five, the lowest level the lift went. They still had to run down another two flights of stairs after that. They made it to the courtroom with seconds to spare.

Harry took a deep breath and entered the chamber. Harry had never seen the inside of a wizarding courtroom. He stood at the bottom of a large room a number of witches and wizards above him. How many it was hard to say, he couldn't tell if there was anyone he knew up there, as he couldn't make out faces.

"Take a seat, Mr. Potter," a familiar voice ordered. It was Minister Fudge.  

Harry looked around, there was only one seat, a heavy wooden, one with rusty manacles attached to the foot and arms. They shook threateningly as he sat, but they did not move to secure Harry to the seat.

Fudge banged his gavel several times in quick succession bringing the room to order. Harry tried to see if there was anyone he knew that might be able to help him. He saw a red head he did know well, Percy sat next to the Minister of Magic, quill at the ready.  On the other side of Fudge sat a toad-faced woman in carnation pink. There was a smug look on her face that made Harry shift uncomfortably.

"I, Cornelius Fudge, do hereby bring this meeting of the Wizardgamot to order on this day, the sixteenth of August, 1995." Fudge said pompously. "Leading the proceedings along with myself is Deputy Undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, Dolores Jane Umbridge. Taking notes will be Percival Ignatius Weasley. Are you Harry James Potter, formerly of Number Four Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey, currently residing at Number Twelve Grimmauld Place, London?"

"Uhh...yes," Harry said as the manacles shook once more.

"You understand this hearing has been called because you are accused of carelessly producing a Patronus Charm at the hour of twenty thirty-five hours, on August sixth?" fudge demanded.

"Yes," Harry replied.

"You are aware that all children under the age of seventeen are not allowed to perform magic outside of school?"

"Well, yes," Harry admitted. This Fudge was very different than any of the other times Harry had met the man.

"Two years ago you received a letter from the Improper Use of Magic Office for the illegal use of a Hover Charm in front of your Muggle relatives?  Were you not warned previously that further magic use, especially in the presence of Muggles would warrant your expulsion from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry?"

"Yes," Harry agreed again.

"Yet you proceed to produce a Patronus nonetheless?"

"How else was I supposed to get rid of the Dementors?" Harry demanded definitely.

"You produced a corporeal Patronus?" This question was not from Fudge, but a silver-haired woman, wearing a monocle, on the opposite side of the chamber.

"What?" Harry asked uncertainly.

"Corporeal," the woman repeated, "it was more than a ball of gas, it had a distinct form."

"Oh yeah, it was a doe, like it always is," Harry said nonchalantly.

The monocle fell from the woman's face, "You've produced one more than once?"

"I've been able to since the end of third year," Harry told her.

There was an excited buzz of conversation at this revelation.

Fudge slammed his gavel down once more. "Yes, yes, it's very impressive. That, however, is not what is in question here. Why are we to believe Dementors randomly appeared on the street you happened to be walking down in a Muggle neighborhood of London, Mr. Potter?"

"It's what happened," Harry insisted.

"Do you have any proof? A witness perhaps?" Fudge asked.

"He does," Dumbledore said appearing at Harry's side.

The room burst into applause. Dumbledore bowed slightly.

"Ahhh, Dumbledore, I see you received my owl about the change of location." Fudge mumbled darkly.

"As it happens, I did not. Luckily, I was here on another matter, and one of the Aurors was good enough to tell me where I might find Madam Bones," replied Dumbledore.  "It's most unusual a matter of underage use of magic would warrant such a trail, Cornelius."

"Yes well, extraordinary times, and all that," Fudge grumbled.
"You said the boy has a witness?"

"He is waiting outside," Dumbledore confirmed.

The doors opened to let in a very ruffled looking Mundungus.
"State your name and occupation for the record sir," Fudge ordered.

"It's Mundungus Fletcher isn't it?" Mundungus said as Dumbledore placed the man in a newly drawn up chair.

"Your occupation, Mr. Fletcher?"

"Well, you could say I'm a businessman," Mundungus said uneasily.

"I would like to note for the record, this man has been found guilty of several crimes against the Ministry. He has spent months in Azkaban for theft and other crimes." The toad-faced woman, Umbridge interested.

"Noted," Percy said, his quill never pausing.

"You witnessed the incident, Mr. Fletcher," Madam Bones asked.

"Of course, I did. I wouldn't be here if I hadn't wouldn't I?" Mundungus said looking at the head of Magical Law Enforcement.

"What were you doing that evening? How did you come to see it?" The woman asked.

"I was outside the house, having a smoke. The boy comes tearing out of the house in a right state. His uncle is a friend o' mine. He says the boy's right pissed off. An' asks me to keep an eye on him since he don't know the neighborhood. I follow so he don't get too mad at me too. I come around the corner and there's that feeling. That cold feeling, like you'll never be happy again. I know right what it is. Like that, toad says, I been there before. But the boy don't care. He just pulled his wand and his great deer thing chased them off." Mundungus explained.

"You see," Dumbledore said raising from his own seat, "Harry acted perfectly within the law."

"Hear here, Dumbledore. You are not running this trail. You can't call for its dismissal." Fudge said rather petulantly.

"But I can," Madam Bones spoke up. "All those in favor of dismissal?"

All but a few went up. Harry breathed a sigh of relief. He hadn't felt his worry free in ages.

"Come now, Harry. I'm sure there a many waiting for you to celebrate at home." Dumbledore gestured to the door.

Dumbledore was right, it seemed every member of the Order at least stopped by to congratulate Harry, but the teen wasn't the only person with something to celebrate.  Hermione and Ron were both made Prefects for their year. Harry wasn't at all surprised by Hermione's appointment.  Ron on the head, everyone seemed a bit shocked by that one. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were so thrilled, they bought him a new broom as a reward.

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

Summer came to an end with the normal amount of chaos. Everyone was trying to find things that they had misplaced. Harry was fairly certain that Kreacher had hidden some of his things. The elf didn't like the fact Harry was sleeping in Regulus' old bedroom. Sirius said that his brother was always the old elf's favorite person.

The four Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione were escorted to King's Cross station by a large contingent of Order members. Moody wore a long duster coat and a battered bowler hat pulled over his magical eye. The small miracle was they had managed to get hold of several cars, so at least they didn't have to take everyone's trunks and owls on the underground.

Harry was pulled by Moody through the barrier to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. The Auror found the nearest empty compartment and put Harry's truck in the rack as the others made their way on the platform. Harry looked around trying to spot Neville.

"Hullo Harry," Luna said appearing from the crowd.

"Hi Luna," Harry greeted.

"I'm not the one you're looking for," she observed.

"Errr... I was trying to find my friend Neville," he admitted. "But you should come and sit with us."

"Harry," Hermione called him back.

"I'll be right back," Harry said before rejoining his group.

"Moody's got us a compartment right in the middle of the train,"
Harry informed Hermione.  

"I'm not sure I can sit with you, Harry," Hermione said sadly.

"The Prefects have a compartment up by the driver. I'll come and join you if I have a chance."

Harry's shoulders slumped. "Okay, of course, I'll see you later." It occurred to Harry then he had never had a ride on the Hogwarts Express that Hermione and Neville were with him. He tried to sound casual, as he asked, "Have you seen Neville?"

Hermione pointed down the platform. There was the unmistakable form of Neville's gran in her vulture-topped hat. Harry slipped past Mr. Weasley to guide his friend and Mrs. Longbottom to join the rest of them.

"Potter," Mrs. Longbottom greeted Harry.

"Good morning ma'am," Harry said taking her claw-like hand.
"You've been getting yourself in the papers more than usual," she remarked.

Harry shrugged, "I'm not trying to."

"Of course you aren't, those idiots in the Ministry wouldn't know rabid hippogriff it walked into the Ministry and filled out the paperwork itself."

"Gran," Neville moaned.

"I have no doubt what you told that fool, Fudge, the truth." Mrs. Longbottom said squeezing Harry's hand. "You stay true to your word. You'll show them they're wrong soon enough."

"Thank you, ma'am," Harry said as she finally let go of his hands. "We all back over this way," he said to Neville. Remus helped to carry the other boy's trunk into the compartment. Luna was seated next to the window a pair of multicolored paper spectacles on her face as she read her magazine upside down. She said hello, to the former professor, it was the first time she had seen him since he left Hogwarts at the end of Harry's third year. The two talked for a moment the truth of the man's condition clearly not impacting her impression. Harry wasn't surprised but was relieved the two got on so well.

Neville joined Harry and Luna in the compartment as Remus made his way back to the platform. Ginny joined them a moment later. The train began to move quickly gathering speed. The trip north was filled with the happenings of the summer. Luna and her father made a trip to the continent looking for Crumple-Horned Snorkack. Neville's was the normal trips to see his extended family. There was a great deal of tension between those who believed what Harry had to say about Voldemort and those who didn't.

Hermione joined them not long after lunch. She told them who the other house prefects were for their year. Luna made a sound of approval at the mention of Terry Boot's name.

The Welcoming Feast was the strangest Harry had attended so far in the five years he had been a student of Hogwarts.  The Sorting Hat instead of singing about the various qualities of the houses encouraged them all to work together. The thing that was the most different though, was the speak given by the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Dolores Umbridge.   

Harry got bored with the waffling manner of speech and instead started a game of hangman with Neville on a scrap of parchment. Hermione later explained the reason behind her speech, and even placement in the school meant the Ministry planned to interfere with the affairs of Hogwarts.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3382