Seasons of Love by Stump_Pan
Summary: How different would things be if Snape went to pick up Harry instead of Hagrid?

Snapshots of how things might have been through all seven years by season.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Canon, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year, 5th summer, 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 207949 Read: 117274 Published: 10 Feb 2017 Updated: 02 Sep 2017
Spring 1996 by Stump_Pan

"When is your dad going to run the interview?" Harry asked Luna the Sunday afternoon after the Hogsmeade visit. The Ravenclaw had joined them at their table to study as three-fifth years worked on a complicated essay for Charms.

"If he has room after his article on the uses of crinkle-horn snack powder, the next issue," Luna said airily.

Once more Hermione kept her tongue on the strange beliefs of the girl and her father.

"Are you alright, Harry?" Hermione asked.

Harry rolled his quill absent-mindedly between his fingers. He shrugged.

"No news about Sirius?" Neville asked as he scratched out what he had written.

Harry shook his head, "You'd know if there was."

"What are we going to work on next in the DA?" Neville asked trying to get his friend to focus on something more positive. "We've got a pretty good handle on the basic defensive charms, Stunning, Disarming, Body-Bind."

Harry shrugged. He'd had less interest in what happened with the DA, with school, with everything since Christmas. He tried not to let it show. He forced himself eat even if he wasn't hungry. He did his homework, though it was not up to his teachers' rigorous standards. "I don't know, Neville. What do you think we should do?"

"Having a collection of hexes under our belts wouldn't be bad," Hermione suggested. "We could do things like Jelly-Legs Jinx, Bat Boggie Hex, those sorts of things."

Harry nodded, "Sounds fine. We can meet later in the week. When will your dad know if the article will run?" Harry asked Luna again.

The blonde considered the question for a long moment. "He needs Skeeter to send him the draft before next week. He should know by next week."
Harry sighed, another thing to wait on.

"Harry, are sure you're alright?" Hermione asked softly.

"I'm fine," Harry insisted shoving his assignment away.

Neville cast a nervous look to Hermione. She shook her head. Luna seemed completely unfazed as she twirled her wand in her hair. Harry took a deep breath shoving his emotions under the sodden shields.

"Sorry," Harry mumbled to his friends.

"It's fine. We know how it is mate." Neville reassured.

Harry shook his head, "No, it's not. I just.. I wish I knew something... anything... They don't even know where he might be."

"They're doing their best," Hermione said giving his head a squeeze.

Harry nodded, "I know. Thanks, Hermione." With a sigh, he pulled his homework back toward him trying to force himself to care about the assignment.
Luna informed him that the interview would, in fact, be in the next issue, her father had dropped a report on nargles for it. Harry wasn't sure how he felt about it. He wanted people to know what was really happening but was scared people wouldn't believe him. The only way to know was to wait and see.

He shouldn't have worried so much as it turned out, he was flooded with letters of support, or at least, openness to the idea of Voldemort's resurrection, as soon as it was published. Many also offered their desire for Sirius to be returned safely by his captures. Rita Skeeter had asked how Harry had come to live with the wrongly convicted man near the end of the interview. Harry had reluctantly told a much-edited version of events of the night during the end of his third year. All Skeeter took away from it was Black had not killed Pettigrew. Pettigrew had somehow miraculously survived the encounter on the street the day after the Potters were killed. Harry didn't mention the fact both Sirius and Pettigrew were unregistered Animagi. He didn't want Sirius to get in any trouble with the Ministry when he came home. Harry was doing his best to keep his thoughts positive. Hermione suggested it, trying to get him to think of something other than his missing godfather, maybe even his upcoming exams.

The many students were curious about the interview and article published alongside it. It quickly spread around the school. The interest was only increased ten-fold with Umbridge's complete miscalculation and banned the possession of the paper. Students still owned it but charmed it so it could only be read by themselves, or made invisible until they had a moment to read it.

In response to this, Umbridge increased her pressure on the staff. She fired Trelawney and tried to remove her from the grounds. She was only stopped when Professor Dumbledore personally intervened and said that the Divination professor or ex-professor was welcome to live at the castle as long as she wished.
The other staff was placed under more scrutiny by the High Inquisitor. Umbridge spent more time monitoring classes, especially those she presumed were loyal to Dumbledore. To make sure they were not helping the DA, or teaching things contradictory to the Ministry's approved curriculum for their subject. The professors were outlawed from doing anything strictly related to their topic.

Umbridge's focus on the students became finding when and where the DA met. She started to interrogate students she suspected of membership in the DA. Harry was certain she put something in his tea when she brought him in for questioning. He only pretended to drink as she demanded answers to her questions.

Umbridge wanted to crush the group. Harry had held fewer meetings under the circumstances. Many of the meetings were being led by Hermione and Neville, Harry working one-on-one with those struggling the most with the material. That was until Hermione suggested working on Patronuses, something she was unfamiliar with. Harry agreed, even if he thought most would have difficulty with the spell.

The group was able to stay active until Cho's friend Marietta gave up their secret. Umbridge had not only threatened the girl with expulsion but the girl's mother's job at the Ministry of Magic. Harry was furious anyway. The members of the Inquisitorial Squad captured a number of members of the DA when they broke into the meeting. What was worse, was they grabbed hold of the membership list. They knew everyone who joined. Harry wasn't looking forward to Umbridge's punishment.
Umbridge took the captured Harry and marched him with her to the headmaster's office. Dumbledore took full responsibility for the club, as his name was in the title. Umbridge wished to see Dumbledore arrested, she was disappointed. The man escaped with a few choice spells knocking unconscious several Aurors and with a little help from Fawkes the phoenix.

Umbridge was made temporary headmistress with Dumbledore gone. She had her hands full with a student body that despised her, faculty that did not support her, and a castle that refused to accept her authority. The headmaster's office sealed itself, preventing the toad-faced woman from entering. Even with all of her difficulties, she managed to make life miserable for everyone.

As acting headmistress, Umbridge was finally able to fire Hagrid. She wanted to remove him from the grounds as well. She and half a dozen others went to encounter the half-giant. The Ministry officials had not countered on Professor McGonagall coming to his aide. She struck with multiple Stunning Spells. Madame Pomfrey had to accompany the Deputy Headmistress to St. Mungo's in London.

"Harry, are you sure you're alright?" Hermione asked for at least the third time that morning.

"Fine," Harry huffed, "I just didn't sleep very well." It was the truth. He had nightmares of what could be happening to Sirius. He woke up only to have new dreams about the corridor.

"Maybe you should talk to Madam Pomfrey," Neville suggested. "She can cure pretty much anything."

"There's nothing wrong with me," insisted Harry. "I just need..." Harry shook his head, "I just wish I knew where Sirius was, that he's ok."

"Okay," Neville relented.

Hermione too let the subject drop. Harry wished they forced him to go see the Mediwitch instead of going to class. He nearly fell asleep during his reading, earning a week's detention with Umbridge. Harry's hand was still recovering from his latest session with the blood quill. He got detention for his participation in the DA, like all the other members. He was certain, "I must not tell lies," would be carved into his hand for the rest of his life.

The acting headmistress held Harry up as she gave him his detention slip, making him late for Potions.

"That's ten points from Gryffindor, Potter," Snape announced as Harry slipped into his seat.

"Of course it is," Harry grumbled.

"That's five more for cheek," Snape said, his dark gaze burning into Harry.

The boy refused to make eye contact. He didn't want the man trying to poke around in his head. He didn't need the man to find out exactly why he hadn't slept well, or how often he had the dreams of that same corridor.

"Potter, stay," Snape called at the end of class. "We need to discuss your detention."

"Way to go, Potter," Malfoy remarked as he slammed into Harry on his way out of the dungeon

Harry sighed. "You guys go on," he said to his friends. There was no reason for them to wait. He was sure the Potions Master would keep him for awhile.

"Why were you late," Snape requested.

Resigned to his fate, Harry said, "I was getting a detention slip from Umbridge."

"What did you do this time?" Snape asked as he prepared the instructions for his next class.

Harry sighed, why did it matter to the professor. Harry wasn't in his house, or any other reason Harry could think of.

"I'm waiting," Snape said, his arms crossing over his chest.

"I almost fell asleep in Umbridge's class," Harry admitted.

"Are you unwell?" The asked as he looked at the boy.

Harry shook his head, "No sir."

"Then is there another reason why you thought it was appropriate to take a nap in our acting headmistress' class?" Snape asked.

Harry shook his head. "I didn't mean to, I just sort of started to drift off..."

"I would suggest you find a better place to find your rest. May I also suggest that you go to bed earlier if you are having trouble staying awake through your lessons." Snape offered

Harry sighed. "I didn't stay up too late. I just had a hard time sleeping."

"Why was that?"

Harry shrugged, "No reason."

"Potter, I might I suggest you take into consideration the words etched into the back of your hand when you answer that question again?" Snape said looking down meaningfully at Harry's scared right hand.

Harry's emerald gaze followed that of the professor. The boy couldn't bring himself to look up as he answered, "Nightmares. I couldn't sleep because of nightmares."

"Have you considered asking Madame Pomfrey for Dreamless Sleep, or another potion," Snape said. His tone had changed, it was no longer the strict, irritable professor, but rather the concerned caretaker, Harry only ever saw when he was in distress.

Harry shook his head. "It's fine."

"How often has this happened, Potter?" Snape requested. "Your professors have noticed a decline in the quality of your work. The opposite trend you wish to see approaching your OWLs."

"Sod the OWLs," Harry snapped. He didn't care about the damn tests at this point. They didn't matter, not when Sirius was still missing, Voldemort was out there planning who knew what, and Dumbledore wasn't even there to make sure everything all worked out. Harry said as much as more, his frustrations of the last several months bubbling to the surface.

"Why had you not told anyone of these difficulties?" Snape requested.

Harry shrugged, "Who am I supposed to tell? Sirius is missing. I can't talk to you because Voldemort or his stupid Death Eaters could find out."

Snape rolled his eyes. "There are any number of people who would listen to your problems without complaint, Potter. Your friends, Granger, or Longbottom, dare I say, even Lovegood, would listen to you blather about your misfortunes. Lupin cares for you as much as Black and is fully aware of what is happening in the Order.

He is more than capable of addressing your concerns. As for myself, our relationship, it is indeed more complex.

"You are correct, there are concerns we must address. However, that does not mean you should abstain from approaching me if you feel it is important."

"How," Harry asked.

"The elf, Dobby, still works in the castle. He could relay messages if the need arose." Snape suggested.

"Okay," Harry agreed. He collected his bag making his way up to the Great Hall for lunch.

"How long do you have detention this time?" Ron asked as Harry sat.

"Just tonight."

Ron nodded, "Got lucky."

Harry shrugged, "I guess."

Snape insisted they work on Harry's Occlumency that evening during detention. The lesson came to an abrupt end when the Dark Mark on Snape's wrist burned. Harry was sent back to the tower immediately, told not to leave until morning. Harry left the dungeon tired and sore, his head feeling like it was being split open by a jackhammer.

Harry returned to the Tower as requested. He found Neville and Hermione reviewing for their upcoming Charms test. Harry grabbed a stack of notes reading then through, his head still aching. He couldn't focus, the words blurred, his eyes drifted close.

Harry was back in the corridor. The door opened at his touch. He was in the room with the strange golden lights. He was so close, he would get it this time. He continued down the aisles. There were voices, he turned. A group of people stood in a circle. He knew the bloodied one in the center. It was Sirius.

"Take it down for us Black," a masked Death Eater ordered.

"Never," Sirius replied.

"Crucio," screamed another Death Eater.

Harry woke up screaming.

"Harry, are you alright?" Hermione asked.

"We have to get to the Ministry of Magic," Harry said.

"Why?" Neville asked

"They have Sirius there. They're torturing him." Harry explained. He got to his feet.

"Are you sure Harry?" Hermione asked.

"Of course," Harry said pacing in front of the fireplace.

"Shouldn't we go to a professor?" Neville suggested.

"There's no time. They're torturing him." Harry countered.

"What's with him?" Fred asked.

"He thinks You-Know-Who has Sirius in the Ministry," Hermione explained.

"How would He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named have gotten into the Ministry?" George asked.

"I don't know. They're torturing him. We have to go and save him," Harry insisted. "Dumbledore is gone. McGonagall is London because that face off when they tried to fire Hagrid. Professor Snape, he had to leave the castle."

"How are we supposed to get to the Ministry mate?" Fred asked.

Harry shrugged. "We could Floo."

"Umbridge closed all of the fireplaces but the one into her office. We'll have to break in there if we want to do that." Fred told them.

"Could you do it?" Neville asked.

"Of course we can," George replied, mortally offended.

"Sorry," Neville mumbled.

"Breaking 's not the problem. We need to a distraction to make sure we can get away." Fred explained. "Georgie and I have been thinking about leaving for some time. Our exit will distract her, no problem. We just need a little time. Do you think a few members of the DA might be willing to help?"

"Colin and Dennis will do anything if you say it's for Harry," Hermione suggested.

"Give us..." Fred looked down at his watch, "half an hour, forty minutes tops. Be ready to go when we give the signal."

"How will we know?" Neville asked.

"Don't worry, it'll be hard to miss," George said with a laugh.

Harry ran up to his dorm. He grabbed the knife Sirius gave him last Christmas, the one that could open any door and his Invisibility Cloak. He frowns, he put the shimmering fabric back into his trunk. There was no way they could all fit under it. Harry didn't even know who was coming. He picked up his DA coin and put the time to meet, ten minutes at the Room of Requirements. It wouldn't hurt to have more people on their side, that was if anyone was still checking their coins.

Harry ran back down the stairs, "Come on. We need to go."

"Where are you going?" Seamus asked.

"I need to get into Umbridge's office," Harry admitted.

"Why didn't yah just ask?" Seamus asked, a wicked grin splitting across his freckled face.

"You want to help?" Harry asked his eyebrows rising in surprise.

"Who wouldn't want ta take the piss of that old toad face," Seamus replied.

"Great," Harry said with a grin. "Fred and George are out setting up. Go see if they need any help." Seamus, joined by Dean Thomas and Lee Jordan, and half a dozen others exiting the portrait hole.

"Are sure that's a good idea, Harry?" Hermione asked.

"If Umbridge is dealing with a dozen students out after hours and whatever Fred and George have planned she won't have time to notice us sneaking into her office,"

Harry explained. "We need to go to the Room of Requirements. There might be people waiting there."

Neville pulled out his coin and handed it to Hermione.
 

"You asked people to come there? Harry, how many people do you want coming with us?" Hermione asked.
Harry shook his head, "I just want them to keep Umbridge busy."

To his disappointment, there was only one person waiting for them in the Room of Requirements, Luna.

"Nobody else came?" Harry asked.

"I don't think anyone else was checking their coins. I liked the DA it was almost like having friends." Luna answered. The girl had a strange talent of speaking awkward truths. "What are you planning?"

"We need to get Umbridge away from her office," Harry explained.

"Why?"

"We need to use her fireplace. It's the only left on the Floo Network."

"Where are you going?"

"The Ministry of Magic, Voldemort has Sirius there," Harry elaborated.

Without another word, Luna lead the way down the hall.

"Is she coming with us?" Neville asked.

"I don't know," Harry admitted.

"Why else did people join the DA? They want to help."

"Yeah, but she's the only one who came," Harry protested.

"All the more reason to bring her," Hermione said watching as the blonde hurried down the corridor.

"Okay," Harry agreed.

A loud bang from a floor or two down from where Harry and his friends stood filled the castle.

"What in the name of Merlin was that?" Neville demanded his hand placed over his heart.

"The signal I expect," said Harry.

The four made to go down the Charms corridor, but were stopped by Ginny.

"You can't go down there," she said holding up a hand.

"Why?" Asked Hermione.

Ginny stepped aside, revealing moss covered walls, trees, and deep, murky water.

"They turned the Charms corridor to a swamp. Flitwick is going to love that."

"It really is an extraordinary bit of magic," Hermione observed.

"Thanks," Fred said s he and his twin joined the four at the end of the hall.

"Do you think it worked?" Hermione asked.

"I saw Filch running down to let the old bag know about the hall," George informed them. "Keep an eye out."

The group hid in an empty classroom down the hall from the High Inquisitor's office.

Another series of loud bangs resounded around the castle.

"What was that?" Harry asked.

"That's probably Dean and Seamus with the fireworks," answered George. "Too bad we won't get to see the display."

"You can do anything you like Mr. Filch once we catch them," Umbridge said running as fast as her stumpy legs could carry her.
Harry stuck his head out the door, looking up and down to see if the coast was clear. Not seeing anyone he motioned for the others to follow behind him. He pulled the knife out of his pocket, making quick work of the lock. The seven teens snuck into the room, silently.

Ginny grabbed hold the small kitten adorned vase on top of the mantle, taking a handful of the glittering Floo Powder.

"You're not coming," George protested.

"I am too," Ginny said as she passed the vase to Luna.

"No Gin," Fred protested, "Mum will kill us if come."

Ginny pulled her wand, "Try and stop me."

"We don't have time for this," Harry said pushing Neville toward the fireplace. They could still hear an explosion coming from the castle.

Neville threw down his handful of powder and disappeared in the green flames. Luna followed immediately.

"Harry, somebody needs to know where we've gone," Hermione pointed out. "We don't know what we can be facing."

"See Gin, that's perfect. You get to stay nice and safe here at Hogwarts and Mum doesn't kill us," Fred suggested.

"Stuff it, Fred. I'm coming. Mum can deal," with that she threw down her own handful of powder and disappeared with a flash of green.

George sighed, "Maybe we'll be lucky and the Death Eaters get us before Mum does."

Fred shook his head, "Let's go before she starts the war all by herself."

Hermione blanched at the exchange as George followed by Fred left.

"It'll be fine, Hermione. They're only kidding." Harry tried to reassure.

"Who are we going to tell?" She asked.

"Dobby," Harry called.

A loud pop filled the room as the small elf appeared before the teens.

"Harry Potter, you is asking for Dobby?" The elf asked his green eyes looking up hopefully.

"Yeah," Harry confirmed. "We have to go. They have Sirius at the Ministry, they want him to get the prophecy."

"How is Dobby helping Harry Potter?" The elf asked confused.

"We need you to tell people where we went. Tell Professor Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape," Harry looked to Hermione for other suggestions.

"Professor Lupin, " she added.

"Right," Harry added. "They'll know where we are."

There were raised voices coming down the hall, the sound of heels clicking quickly on the stone floors.

"Go Hermione," Harry urged. "Dobby, you too."

Both disappeared as he moved to the fireplace.
 

The voices were closer... the door to the office opened as Harry grabbed some Floo Powder.

"Potter," Umbridge hissed as the teen slipped into the fireplace. The witch's screams died as the whooshing of the flames filled Harry's ears.

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

Harry stumbled out of the fireplace, hitting the cold stone floors of the lobby of the Ministry. Two pairs of arms slide under his arms, hoisting him back to his feet.

"Where to mate?" Fred asked looking around the large room.

"The lifts we need to go down by the courtrooms," Harry insisted.

The group moved silently across the floor. Harry nervously twisted his wand over and over again in his palm. Shadows played ominously on the marble walls of the chamber in the low light.

Neville pushed the button to summon the elevator. "What floor?"

"The bottom, the lifts don't go far down as we need," Harry said as Neville jabbed the appropriate number.

The air was tight with tension as the lift moved downward. The faint sound of a tinny version of Christina Warbocker's version of "Cauldron of Red Hot Love" playing in the background doing nothing to relive it. The metal door slid open as the song ended. Harry lead the others down two flight of stairs and down the longer corridor to the door he kept seeing in his dreams. It opened at his touch.

The seven entered the dark chamber before them. The door slammed shut behind Hermione, the last one to enter. There were seven doors, which they were supposed to go through Harry did not know. He had never seen this room before. The doors spun, making it impossible to know which they had just come through.

"Which way," Neville asked.

"I don't know," Harry admitted. "I haven't seen this before."

Luna opened the door in front of them. The room was filled with a strange green light as they walked into it. In one corner was the strangest hourglass ever seen. In the top an egg, it hatched as it passed through the middle where the bird became an adult and died. The glass flipped itself over and repeated the cycle.

"This isn't right," Harry said looking around.

"These are time turners," Hermione said running a finger over the delicate instruments on a nearby self.

"This isn't the place," Harry said louder.

They exited the way they came, Hermione made sure to mark the door with a glowing "X" before it closed so they would not enter again. The doors spun again, Fred opened the door this time. They quickly determined this was not right, as they floated among a model of the solar system. Hermione marked the second door. Harry opened the next as soon as the doors stopped spinning. The glowing golden light told him at once they were in the right place.
Harry ran down the center aisle looking for the right shelves, looking for Sirius. They were so close. So close. His godfather would be there and he would be able to take him home. Everything would be like it was before Christmas. He was there, the right one.

Harry turned hard. No one was there. The aisle was empty. It didn't make sense. Harry stood silently between the two long shelves filled with glowing glass balls.

"Where is he?" He asked no one in particular.

"Are you sure this is the right aisle?" Ginny asked.

Harry nodded.

"Harry, your name's on this one," George said reading the tag of one of the small balls just above eye level. "You know anything about this?"

"Yeah, don't touch it. It's the weapon that Voldemort is after." Harry said distractedly.
In a series of pops, Death Eaters appeared everywhere around the teens. The children drew their wands as they faced the end of the Death Eaters'.

"Potter," one said stepping forward, "the Dark Lord, knows you so well." Harry didn't need to see the man's face to know who it was, it was Lucius Malfoy. "He knew you would come to save the mutt of a godfather.

Harry stepped forward, "Too scared to show your face? What did Voldemort send you to do his dirty work?"

"How dare you speak his name with that filthy Mudblood mouth!" A woman beside Malfoy screamed.

"Too scared to use his name?" Harry taunted. "Why are you here?"

"Only those who the prophecy is about may retrieve it. You can't expect the Dark Lord to walk into the Ministry of Magic. And they told me you were intelligent." Malfoy scoffed.

"Where's Sirius?" Harry demanded.

The woman let out a malicious cackle. "My blood-traitor of a cousin? How he cried, Poor bitty baby Potter."

Harry twisted his wand in his fingers, "Where is he!"

"That's not important," Malfoy dismissed. "Give us the prophecy Potter and you and your little friends can go back to school like good little children."

"Don't believe him Harry," Neville urged.

"I know Neville," Harry mumbled.

"Neville? The Longbottom brat? How are dear mummy and daddy?" The woman asked a sick smile on her face.

Neville tensed at the mention of his parents.

"Come now Potter, be a good boy," Malfoy encouraged as he stepped closer to Harry.

"You need that prophecy for your boss? I reckon he wouldn't like it too much if it was destroyed." Harry surmised.

Malfoy stopped mid step. "You wouldn't want us to hurt you and your little friends, Potter."

Harry looked at the others. "No," he admitted. Then yelled, "Run!"

The teens set off a mixture of spells at the surrounding Death Eaters. Harry sent a deliberate "Reducto" at the ball with his name on it. The voice contained within was lost in the chaos of hundreds of off others as the shelf holding was reduced to ash. The teens ran back the way they had come throwing hexes and curses behind them at the perusing henchmen. What spells were being used it was impossible to tell. The room was deafening as more prophecies crashed to the ground or were blasted apart by a misaimed spell as they ran past the shelves.

Luna screamed as one of the Death Eaters grabbed her. Harry shot a well-aimed Full Body-Bind freezing the man, his frozen form crashing to the hard stone floor.
Neville running at the head of the pack threw open the door. It did not lead to the main entrance chamber, but the space room. Hermione sealed the door as the other floated, looking for another way out.

Ginny found a door near Neptune. The seven exited into a new room, at the bottom of the silent amphitheater stood a stone arch. A thin black vail fluttered as if caught in a light breeze.

"What are those voices?" Harry asked going down several steps.

"There's nothing," Hermione snapped. "We need to keep moving." She rubbed a hand over her sore ribs.

"I can hear them too," Luna said coming to stand level with Harry.

They could hear the voices of the Death Eaters, but there was no sight of them yet.

"Come on. Hermione's right. They'll kill us if they get a hold of us," Fred urged.

"We need to get back to the castle," Hermione said.

"I'd settle for out of this room," grumbled George. He failed to suppress a shiver of unease.

The voices, the voices of the Death Eaters were getting closer. The bang of the door being blasted open brought Harry back to the moment. Once again was filled with spells.

Hermione fell as a blast of purple light hit her in the ribs. Neville fell, cutting above his eye, but continued to fight on. Fred and George fought a pair of Death Eaters, seamlessly exchanging opponents back and forth.

"Potter, wee Potter," the female Death Eater, Bellatrix Lestrange, (Harry now realized) sing songed as she drew closer to Harry. "Will you die like my coward cousin? I killed Sirius Black."

Harry's blood boiled as her words sank in. Sirius was gone. He was really gone. His home was destroyed again. Harry shot spells blindly at the witch. The witch danced past Harry's attempts.

The boy didn't notice as new faces and voices joined the room. He was too focused on the woman in front of him. He was going to kill her. He chased after her as she ran out of the arch room, back out of the entrance chamber, to the lifts. He was firing spells the whole way. None of them seemed to do have the slightest effect.

"You have to mean it, Harry," Voldemort said in the boy mind. It was like the volume was turned to eleven. The murderous wizard's voice could not have been louder if he yelled directly in Harry's ear.

Harry collapsed in pain. The room spun as Voldemort glided toward the boy.

"What would Dumbledore have to say? Precious Harry Potter trying to kill dear Bellatrix," Voldemort approached the weary teen.
 

"That's enough of that Tom," Dumbledore said coming around the corner of the fountain the dominated the center of the lobby.
Harry watched motionlessly as Dumbledore and Voldemort battled. Harry had never seen magic like this before. Fawkes was stuck by a Killing Curse sent at the headmaster. The bird fell to the ground lifeless. Still, they battled.

Dumbledore pinned Voldemort under a broken part of one the statues from the fountain. The dark wizard remained motionless as others approached his still form.

"Why protect the boy? Love Dumbledore? What power does love have?" Voldemort demanded.

Harry screamed. His blood was boiling. His brain was splitting apart as Voldemort ripped through his mind. Memories of Sirius floated to the surface. The pain of his loss shaking Harry to his core. The tears fell from his eyes.

"You won't win," Harry tried to force the wizard out of his mind once more. He was gone as quickly as he came. "You have nothing."
More people appeared in the chamber as Harry could see straight once more. He couldn't make out what was being said. He did notice the trademark pinstriped cloak of Minister Fudge.

"There, there, Harry," Dumbledore said helping the boy sit upright. "It's alright."

"See here Dumbledore," Fudge snapped.

"I will answer all your questions in good time Minister. Now I must see my students safely back to the castle." Dumbledore handed Harry a broken part of the figures.

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

Harry didn't realize the professor had charmed it to a portkey until he felt the hook behind his navel. He landed hard on the floor of the of the headmaster's office. A number of portraits were woken by the racket of his arrival. He ignored the questions they tried to ask him. He didn't know the answers anyway.

Sirius was gone. He never got to say goodbye.

Harry dropped the elf head as he stumbled over to a stuffed chair in the corner. It was so cold.

Where was he to go now? He didn't have a home anymore. Remus already said he couldn't come live with him. He couldn't ask Mrs. Weasley, not after Christmas. She was still mourning Mr. Weasley she wouldn't want to deal with all the extra hassle Harry always brought.

The fireplace flared as the headmaster graceful exited, not a speck of dust on his magenta robes. The room was filled with enthusiasts applause for the return of the rightful headmaster. Dumbledore bowed. The man crossed the room and placed a tiny, naked bird in the pile of ashes that stood under Fawkes perch.

"My dear boy, I am so sorry," Dumbledore said sitting across from Harry.

"She was telling the truth then?" Harry asked softly.

"A number of Death Eaters were captured, Lucius Malfoy confirmed, Bellatrix killed Sirius some weeks back. He was tortured."

"Stop," Harry mumbled.

"They were unsuccessful. He never broke no matter..."

"STOP! IT DOESN'T MATTER! SIRIUS IS DEAD!" Harry yelled.

"Harry," Dumbledore said softly. "Sirius protected you and the Order until his dying breath."

"So," Harry demanded. He jumped to his feet a new energy found. "He's dead and he's not coming back. Why should I care what he said?"

"Harry, the Order can continue its work safe in the knowledge that Voldemort and his Death Eaters have no knowledge of our goals," Dumbledore explained. The words did nothing to ease the teen's grief.

"How did Voldemort know I would come? That I even knew where at was or what he was after?" Harry asked.

"We were betrayed," Dumbledore said softly.

"You just said..." Harry began.

"Not by Sirius, by Kreacher," Dumbledore corrected. "The elf left headquarters when Sirius ordered him out. He only returned when his master's death drew him back. In that time, he was able to tell those he stayed with a great deal, not about the Order, but of you and Sirius. It is a good thing you and Professor Snape never interacted in the house."

Harry scoffed, "So lucky."

"If Kreacher knew the true nature of your relationship with Professor Snape, his life would be in even greater danger, Harry." Dumbledore chided.

"If he's such a great spy, how come he didn't know about Sirius. Why didn't he tell us where he was?" Harry demanded.

"Professor Snape must be careful in his role, Harry. He cannot ask too many questions or he will raise suspicion," Dumbledore defeated.

"More like he didn't care. He's always hated, Sirius. He must have been happy him at his mercy." Harry growled.

"I believe nothing of the sort about Severus," Dumbledore snapped.

"Whatever," Harry said dropping into the seat once more. "Can I go now?"

Dumbledore refused, "There are things we need to discuss."

"Like what?" Harry groused.

"Where you are to live for the summer holidays?"

"Those are ages away," Harry complained.

Dumbledore tried again, " Are you not curious what the prophecy said?"

"It was lost. We'll never know," Harry objected.

"There is another copy, the memory of the person who originally heard it." Dumbledore corrected.

"Who was that?" Harry asked.

"Myself," the headmaster said softly.

Harry stared speechless at the man.

Dumbledore rose from his chair leading Harry over to the Pensive. Harry entered the memory first. Professor Trelawney sat on a threadbare wing chair, her eyes unfocused, her head thrown back. Her normal ethereal voice was replaced with a deep husk Harry had heard once before.

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...."

The two returned to the office a moment later.

"What does that mean?" Harry asked. "Why would Voldemort want this?"

"This prophecy is why your parents died. Why Voldemort tried to kill you as an infant," Dumbledore explained. "One of his followers, a foolish young man overheard only part of the prophecy, that a child born at the end of July would be the one to defeat Voldemort. He had no idea what child this could be. Voldemort determined it could one of two, two boys born at the end of July, born to those opposed to him. He chose you, now he wonders if there was something he missed."

"Two boys born at the end of July? You mean Neville could be the one to defeat Voldemort?" Harry demanded. "He could have made a mistake. Neville could be the chosen one."

"No," Dumbledore said, "not now. 'He will mark him as his equal'. Your scar is not a normal cut. It is the mark of dark magic."

Harry placed a hand over the lightening bolt shaped mark on his forehead. "The rest.. 'either must die at the hand of the other'? I'm going to have to kill him?"

"I'm so sorry my dear boy," Dumbledore said tears forming in his ancient blue eyes.

"I...I... Are you sure?" Harry asked.

"Yes my dear boy, there is no mistake," Dumbledore confirmed.

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

Harry sat silently, too confused to move. He had no memory of falling asleep or how he arrived in the Hospital Wing where he woke sometime later. The sky was light if it was dawn or dusk he had no idea.

"Good day Mr. Potter," Professor McGonagall greeted as Harry sat up in bed.
 

"'Lo Professor," Harry replied.

"The Headmaster wished me to inform you of the Minister's decision. You and any of your fellows that took part in the skirmish at the Department of Mysteries are entitled excused from taking your exams at the usual time. You can take them at your convenience during the summer. However, you will have to complete them before the start of next term in order to make your selections of NEWT level subjects." McGonagall relayed carefully.

Harry didn't want to sit for any exams. He didn't care. Why should he care about school exams? He would have to kill the evilest wizard in history.

"Did you hear me, Potter?" McGonagall asked.

Harry frowned, "I can take my OWLs this summer?"

"No, Finnegan will bring you your homework for the duration of your stay in the Hospital Wing," McGonagall informed. "Professor Umbridge resigned, so there will be no Defense Against the Dark Arts for the remainder of term."

"Fine," Harry mumbled.

"If there is something you'd like to know," McGonagall asked.

Harry shook his head. The professor stood.

"Professor," Harry asked.

"Yes Potter," McGonagall asked softly.

"Do we know where... where I'm going for the summer?"

McGonagall's face fell, "I'm sorry, Potter. The headmaster is still determining the best option."

Harry nodded. The witch moved the curtain back as she left. Harry lay back down, staring at the ceiling.

"Harry," Neville asked softly, as he pulled back the curtain.

Harry didn't make eye contact.

"I'm sorry about Sirius," Neville said.

Harry didn't respond.

"Did you see the Prophet? They're finally admitting You-Know-Who is back. The Ministry is trying to explain everything about the last year."
Still, Harry said nothing.

Neville sighed and went back to his bed.

"He just needs time," Hermione reassured. "He'll talk when he's ready."

Harry couldn't hear what Neville said if he responded. The others tried over the course of the rest of day. Madame Pomfrey removed the curtains just after dinner hoping it would encourage him to interact with the others.

Seamus, Dean, and Lee Jordan came by to tell them how the escape played out. Dean explained in great detail the giant firework dragon that swooped down and slammed Umbridge in its jaws, before exploding in a shower of red and orange sparks. It had taken the rest of the staff several hours to remedy the damage inflicted by the twins ingenuity. Professor Flitwick even left a small corner of the swamp under the window at the end of the hallway because it was such an impressive bit of magic.

"Wotcher Harry," Tonks greeted, as she joined Remus in his visit.

"Hi," Harry mumbled.

"He speaks," Tonks joked. "Madame Pomfrey said you weren't speaking to anyone."

Harry shrugged.

"We're glad," Remus told him, patting the boy's covered knee. "How are you doing?"

Harry shrugged again.

"I miss Sirius too. Like James and Lily, I always will." Remus said softly.

"Where am I going for the holidays?" Harry asked, "I can't go back to the Dursleys."

"No," Remus agreed. "With the current situation, Dumbledore thinks it's best if you stay in our world."

"I can't stay with you?" Harry asked.

"Harry, we've talked about this. I would not feel comfortable." Remus said.
 

"You were fine before," Harry protested.

"Sirius was there. He could keep me check if I transformed." Remus explained.

"What if I went away near the full moon? I could stay with somebody for those days." Harry suggested.

"Harry can come stay with us," Fred offered.

"We have a flat above our shop," George elaborated.

"That is a wonderful offer gentlemen," Remus said softly, "however, Harry should stay with a qualified witch or wizard. The property will require wards of the strictest wards."

"Our flat is in the heart of Diagon Alley," George protested.

"Maybe Harry could come visit during the holidays," Tonks offered. "Remus is right, the house or wherever he's staying will have to be heavily warded. You might want to have a shift of people keeping an eye on him too."

"Even if we were to do all that, the headmaster has a mission for me. I will be away for some time." Remus explained.

"You're leaving? Why? Can't somebody else go?" Harry begged.

"Not on this mission," Remus said sadly.

"You're going to find the other werewolves," Hermione guessed.

Remus nodded. "The headmaster hopes to convince some of my kind to join him. I am a ready made spy."

"Don't say that Remus," Tonks chided.

Harry noticed the witch has slipped her hand into Remus' rough one. He frowned slightly.

"So where am I supposed to go? The Burrow?" Harry asked.

"No, the headmaster is still making a few inquiries. You'll know before you get on the train in a few weeks." Remus reassured.

Harry nodded mutely, there was no reason to protest. Like always, the adults were the ones making the decisions, Harry would simply have to go along. He was discharged from the Hospital Wing two days later.

He drifted unfocused from class to class. His classmates and professors gave him a surprising amount of space. That was except Snape.
 

"I have seen half-witted baboons with better potions than this," Snape remarked as he vanished away the contents of Harry second failed attempt at the potion in as many days. "If you have any desire to become an Auror you must focus. I only accept "O" level students in my class."

"What's it matter?" Harry demanded. 'Who cares about OWLs and NEWTs? I have to kill Voldemort! Me. Some prat listening at a door overheard a dumb prophecy and went running to Voldemort. He chose me so I have to kill him."

"Who told you this?" Snape demanded.

"Dumbledore," Harry growled, "after the Department of Mysteries."

Snape breathed in a long breathe through his long, hooked, nose. "What the headmaster told, may be the case. However, we have no idea when that day may come. It is a better reason for you to apply yourself. The Dark Lord has powers no one else processes."
Harry scoffed.

"Do not take this lightly, Potter. You have survived on luck and the help of others. If the prophecy is true, those will come to an end. You must know all you can in order to defeat him. And you can start with brewing me a proper Draught of the Living Death."

The man had a point, Harry sighed and set back to work. It took him two more attempts before Snape was satisfied with his results.

Hermione was the only from the battle at the Department of Mysteries to sit their OWLs with the rest of their year. Fred and George had left school as soon as they were released from the Hospital Wing. They had only come back after Christmas to appease their mother. They could sit them later of they felt they required academic validation. Neville decided he could use more time to study. Harry still lacked the motivation most days, even after Snape's rousing speech. Harry like Neville would take his exams in the summer before returning for their sixth year at Hogwarts.

The end of term arrived sooner than Harry expected. He didn't care who won the Quidditch Cup, nor the House Cup. He did not attend the end of the year feast with the rest the school. He spent the time wandering the familiar stone halls of the castle. He ran into Luna once more tracking down her misplaced possession.
The train ride back to London was a solemn one, no one sure what it might bring. Luna fell asleep on Harry's shoulder as he read issues of the Quibbler. There was a slight bit of commotion when Malfoy and his lackeys burst into the compartment containing Harry, Neville, Ginny, Hermione, and Luna. Malfoy was upset that his father was a prisoner of the Ministry, as were Crabbe and Goyle's. The three boys tried to duel the former DA members with pitiful results. All three were knocked unconscious covered with odd growth from the combination of hexes. Harry with Neville's helped shoved their attackers into an unused storage compartment down the carriage.

As promised, the headmaster found someone to take Harry in for the summer. The boy would never have thought to ask the individual. It would be very different from any summer before he was certain.

"Hello Harry dear," Mrs. Weasley greeted as he stepped off the train. "How are you holding up, dear?"

Harry nodded, "I'm fine. How are you?"

Mrs. Weasley nodded, "Oh, I'm getting there."

"Yeah," Harry agreed.

Mrs. Weasley said hello to the rest as she gave Neville and Ginny a moment to say their goodbyes. Meanwhile, Harry said hello to the rest of the Weasley clan who came with their mother. A number of members of the Order were here too, to escort Harry to his destination.
Luna gave Harry another kiss on the cheek before Disapparating with her father. He touched his cheek awkwardly.

"Mr. Potter," Mrs. Longbottom greeted.

Harry dropped his hand away, "Mrs. Longbottom."

"Do you have all of your things?" The elderly witch asked.

"I think so," Harry said.

Mrs. Longbottom tutted in disapproval. "Dumbledore said you were polite. Neville always seems to be missing one thing or another," Mrs. Longbottom observed.

"Neville, come child."

"Yes Gran," Neville gave Ginny one more kiss and dashed to catch up with his, gran, best friend, and their escort.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3382