Seasons of Love by Stump_Pan
Summary: How different would things be if Snape went to pick up Harry instead of Hagrid?

Snapshots of how things might have been through all seven years by season.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Canon, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year, 5th summer, 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 207949 Read: 117413 Published: 10 Feb 2017 Updated: 02 Sep 2017
Fall 1996 by Stump_Pan

"I can't believe Dumbledore gave that slimy git Defense Against the Dark Arts," Ron complained over breakfast the next morning.

"I donna know," said Seamus, "maybe we're lucky. It'll be his last year."

"Pardon," Hermione inquired as she poured herself a cup of coffee.

"We've never had a DADA professor last more than a year," Seamus pointed out.

"Yes," Hermione agreed, "but maybe he will just go back to teaching Potions."

"Personally, I'm hoping for another death," Ron said around a mouthful of sausage.

"That's a horrible thing to say, Ronald." Hermione chastised. "Especially coming from someone who just lost their father."

"You think Snape has a family?" Dean joked.

"Of course he does," Hermione replied.

"He had parents at one point. That doesn't mean he had a family." Harry corrected.

Hermione frowned at him.

Harry sighed, "I had a mum and a dad, but they died. The Dursleys were never really my family." He wasn't sure that his friend understood what he was saying.

"Ms. Granger," Professor McGonagall called, drawing the attention the first of the sixth years for their schedule consultation.

"How many NEWTs do yeh think she'll go fer?" Seamus asked.

"As many as McGonagall will let her," Harry said, relieved for the change in topic.

Hermione's schedule was approved in an instant. She collected her bag and made her way out of the Great Hall for her class. Neville's schedule took a bit longer to complete.

"I'm sorry Longbottom, an "A" simply won't do in Transfiguration. I'm afraid you won't be able to keep up." McGonagall said looking down Neville's schedule request. "Why not go for a NEWT in Charms? You had an "E" in that?"

"Gran says Charms is a 'soft option'," Neville said softly.

"Just because Augusta failed her Charms OWL does not mean the subject is without its merits. You would think she would appreciate you for the young man you are, not what she imagined. After all this time you would think after all you've done these last five years that would be enough. Look at what you did at the Ministry this spring." The professor ignored the blush that was creeping up Neville’s face and neck. McGonagall had never said anything remotely as nice to him as this in all his time at Hogwarts. "Take Charms, I will explain it to Augusta. She should be proud of you, Longbottom."

"Thank you," Neville mumbled as he turned a deeper red.

McGonagall tapped her wand on Neville's now completed schedule before handing it back.

"Did you hear what she said?" Neville asked.

Harry shook his head.

"My gran should be proud of us for what we did at the Ministry. She should accept me as I am. An' just because Gran failed her Charms OWL doesn't," Neville screwed up his face in concentration to recall McGonagall's exact words, "the subject is not without its merits."

Harry chuckled. "Of course your gran should be proud of you Neville. You helped fight off half a dozen Death Eaters. They could have gotten the prophecy or escaped the Ministry if it weren't for you."

Neville's blush was renewed in response to his friend's kind words.

"Potter," McGonagall called.

Harry walked up to his head of house, his selected courses already marked. McGonagall wordlessly took the offered piece of parchment.

McGonagall ran a finger down the names muttering as she went, "Charms fine, Herbology, fine, I was happy to see your marks in Transfiguration, Potter. I would have expected nothing less in Defense. I don't see Potions on your schedule. Have you changed your mind about becoming an Auror? I know the loss of Black...."

"What? No. No. " Harry stammered, " It's just you said you needed an "O" in Potions to continue to NEWTs."

"And you did when Professor Snape was teaching Potions. Professor Slughorn is more than glad to take an "E" level student into his NEWT class." McGonagall explained. "I am certain he would be incredibly disappointed were you not to continue the subject."

Harry nodded in understanding. McGonagall flicked her wand at his new schedule.

"Hurry and you won't be late for your first class," McGonagall said as a way of dismissal.

"Yes ma'am," Harry agreed.

Around a dozen students stood in the hall waiting to be let into the classroom. It was the first time at school Harry had ever seen Malfoy independent of his bodyguards, Crabbe and Goyle. The boy's pale blonde hair was drawn back away from his face, accentuating his sharp features. Harry noticed the deep bags under the boy's stormy grey eyes. Harry wondered if that was normal for the teen, or if it was a recent development. In the six years, they had gone to school together, Harry had never thought to notice that about his classmate.

The door to the classroom opened to reveal Professor Slughorn dressed in teaching robes over a cheery Slytherin green velvet suit. Hermione looked over to Harry very taken aback by the man's appearance.

Bubbling cauldrons were stationed throughout the room. Each was different, there was a murky brown one by Malfoy. Harry recognized it at once from his experience with it in second year; it was Polyjuice Potion. There was one that was a faint blue, perfectly calm. The one that caught Harry's attention the most was a cheerfully boiling cauldron that sat on Slughorn's desk.

"Welcome Sixth Years, this is Advanced Potion making. I am Professor Slughorn. Now for a bit of fun to start the first day back. You can see there are a number of cauldrons stationed around the room. I would like each of you to take a look at them, then we can test to see how many you can identify."

The class broke for ten minutes as the few students with one instruction, "not to ingest, or otherwise, consume any of the potions" for their own safety. Harry didn't know any of the potions other than Polyjuice. One smelled familiar like fresh cut grass, flowers, and maybe a little of stale butter beer.

Harry returned to his seat. "Do you know what they all are?"

Hermione looked affronted.

Harry chuckled, "Of course you do."

"Now," Slughorn said clapping his hands together, "who can name for me this lovely potion," he pointed to the one on Malfoy's table. Harry rose his hand, as did Hermione.

"Yes Harry," Slughorn called on the famous Gryffindor.

"That one's Polyjuice," Harry replied instantly.

"Very good, how about this one, Harry?" Slughorn asked.

"I don't know sir," Harry admitted.

"Very well, anyone else?"

Hermione's hand shot up. Slughorn called on her, "Yes, what is it?"

"Amortentia, a love potion, sir. It is unique to each individual as it supposed to smell like those things the person is attracted to. For me it smells like fresh cut grass, new parchment, spearmint toothpaste..." she left off her face growing red as she realized how much she told her classmates.

"Did you recognize it by the sheen or the spirals of steam?" Slughorn asked with a chuckle.

"Both sir," Hermione confirmed.

"Now, how about this one," the professor said point to the next one.

"The Draught of Living Death," said Hermione instantly. "A powerful sleeping potion that will render the drinker into a sleep so deep they appear to be dead."

"Very good Ms...." Slughorn applauded.

"Granger, sir," Hermione supplied with a shy smile.

"Granger... no relation to Hector Dagworth-Granger, the founder of The Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers?"

Hermione frowned, "I don't think so, sir. I am... Muggle-born."

"Muggle-born, my, my. 'My best friend is the smartest in our year.' I can see what Potter sees in you Ms. Granger," Slughorn said with a chuckle.

Hermione blushed looking to Harry. The boy only shrugged.

"I am sure you will have no trouble identifying this last potion for us Miss Granger," Slughorn said motioning to the one on the professor's desk. The gold liquid bubbled cheerfully occasional drops leap off the surface like bizarre fish.

"Felix Felicis, Liquid Lucky," Hermione answered.

"Thirty points to Gryffindor," Slughorn said with a note of approval, “A funny little potion, Felix Felicis. It gives the drinker good luck for the time consumed. An overdose may cause giddiness, overly rash behavior, dangerous overconfidence. The person who brews me the best. The Draught of Living Death will win this vial of Liquid Luck," Slughorn explained holding up a tiny glass vial. He went on to explain how it would provide the winner enough for day's worth of luck.

"Err...Professor," Harry said raising his hand. "I didn't realize I would be allowed to take Potions this year. I don't have a book or supplies."

"We can do something about that until you are able to order what's needed Harry," Slughorn says with a chuckle. The old man removed a battered copy of Advanced Potion Making from a cupboard in the corner.

Harry looked at the book somewhat disappointed. Harry found the required page and was stunned by the contents of the page. Almost every line of instruction has some sort of edit or comment. In some places, it is hard to see the original text. Harry did his best to make out the original text. He was supposed to be cutting a bean but was having very little luck. Harry noticed the scribbled instruction to use his knife to smash the pod instead of cutting. The juices flooded out of the shriveled bean.

Hermione wondered how Harry was so successful. He explained, much to his friend's disapproval. She didn't think they should use anything but the official institutions. Harry had always done well in Potions, but Hermione always did a bit better than him. His lack patience with the topic was his biggest problem. This was the first time Harry could remember doing better than Hermione in the subject. At the end of the class, Harry came out victorious, walking away with the vial of Felix Felicis.

"Well done, Mr. Potter," Slughorn said handing over the potion. "I found this in with my teaching supplies the other night, I thought you might like it."

Harry looked at the book in Slughorn's extended hand, "Sir?"

"Your mother and I were debating the merits of this text before she went into hiding," Slughorn explained. "I have little use for it. You are Lily's son, it should be yours."

"Thanks, sir," Harry said taking the book.

Neville was waiting for them outside the Potions classroom.

"What's that Harry?"

"A book, it belonged to my mum," Harry explained. "She was talking to Slughorn about before we had to go into hiding."

"That wasn't the only thing he got during class," Hermione added. "He won a vial of Felix Felicis, a luck potion, by cheating."

"I wasn't cheating," Harry countered.

"Huh?" Neville demanded.

Harry shook his head, "I borrowed a book from Slughorn to use since I didn't think I could take Potions this year. The bloke who owned it before wrote all over the pages." When the confused look on Neville's face didn't diminish, Harry quickly clarified, "He changed the instructions. Hermione doesn't approve. She's just mad I won.

"I am not," Hermione insisted. "You have no idea whose book that might have been. Harry, it's dangerous to fiddle with potions instructions. Is there a name in the front?"

Harry removed the book from his bag once more. He flipped to the inside front cover, "Property of the Half-Blood Prince", he read aloud.

"Who's that?" Neville asked.

"No idea," Harry said at once. He didn't tell either of them that the penmanship looked familiar. He didn't know whose it was thought. He would have to look at it in more detail later.

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

"Why do you reckon Dumbledore gave Snape Defense now after all these years?" Ron asked over lunch before their first lesson of the year.

"Everyone knows he's obsessed with the dark arts," Seamus reminded him.

"Yeah, but," Ron objected.

"Maybe that's why," Hermione added.

"What do you think Harry," asked Ron.

"That'll be a good excuse for Snape to hex me into next week if I make a mistake. He's been dying to do it for years in Potions." Harry said casually.

"Harry, don't be ridiculous," Hermione chided.

"I'm not. Think about Hermione, every time I messed up a potion, my fault or not, I got detention. He didn't do that to anyone else. Why wouldn't he hex me if he thought it would help with my spell work?" Harry demanded.

"Harry," Hermione said more softly.

"Just you wait," Harry told her, "just you wait and see how he treats me. He'll hex me at least once in class today."
Hermione shook her head in disagreement.

"Just wait," Harry promised.

Every new Defense professor put a new spin on their classroom. Professor Snape had decorated the walls with posters of grizzly displays of dark magic being inflicted, of vicious animal attacks, a number of dark creatures.

Snape skipped his greeting. Instead, he jumped right into it, "It is a wonder that as many of you managed to achieve sufficient scores to pursue the subject to the NEWT level. The never ending chain of instructors, most incompetent, has created gaps in your study of the topic. We are here to address these shortcomings. The Dark Arts are not a fixed mark one can simply memorize all the materials and achieve success. You must constantly strive to learn more, do better if you wish to survive. These posters here show you what may occur if you fail properly judge your opponent."

The man seemed to take a perverse pleasure in the disgusted expressions of the girls in the class. Parvati turned distinctly green at the sight of the effects of a particularly vicious spell.

"This term we will be learning to use nonverbal spells," Snape continued. "Can anyone explain to me the merits of using a nonverbal spell?"

The man did his best to ignore Hermione's raised hand, but as it was the only one up he wasn't very successful. Reluctantly he said, "Miss Granger?"

"Nonverbal spells give the witch or wizard casting them a split second advantage over their opponent as the other with not be able to anticipate what spell is to be used." She explained with her usual precision.

"An almost direct quote from Standard Book of Spells Year Six's text, but true nevertheless," Snape confirmed. "Pair up, practice Disarming and Shield Charms."

The class broke into pairs. Harry was left without a partner as Hermione took on Neville.

"Potter, why are you just standing there?" Snape demanded.

"I don't have a partner, sir," Harry replied.

Snape raised his wand, Harry followed suit.

"Defend yourself," Snape warned.

Harry flinched as a Stinging Hex struck his arm. He rubbed the sore limb. The man told them to practice their Disarmament Spells and Shield Charms. He never mentioned anything about jinxes. Harry couldn't say he was surprised. The professor never treated him like any of the other students. Harry failed a potion he got detention, Neville melted three cauldrons barely lost house points.

Harry tried to make his Shield Charm work without speaking. He knew the spell he could make it work verbally.

"Just like the Black," Snape goaded.

Harry puffed up his chest at the memory of his godfather. Snape was trying to get to him. Harry knew it.

"He too was too rash, too careless to master this skill," Snape continued. "If he had thought through his actions perhaps he would be here today.

"The mutt never should have gone to Azkaban. There were better wizards, more capable people already there."

Harry took a deep breath trying to ignore the man's words. He had done this in Occlumency lessons before, trying wind Harry up so he would lose control of his temper and his shields would fall.

"The mutt was a fool."

All around him he heard as his classmates muttered their incantations under their breaths. Frustrated as another hex struck him Harry yelled, "Protego!"

"Ten points from Gryffindor, Potter. Did you not hear that we were working on Nonverbal Spells today?" Snape demanded.
The rest of the class fell silent was they watched the exchange between Harry and the professor. Harry shrugged.

"It is polite to answer a question when asked, Potter."

"Yeah, well, it's polite not to spit in somebody's face too. I reckon it's probably better not to say anything." Harry bit out.

"Detention Potter," Snape snapped.

"What else is new?" Harry said with another shrug.

"Ten more points from Gryffindor," Snape said as the bell rang.
Harry sheathed his wand and collected his bag. He didn't look back to the professor. He had enough detentions with the man to know the when and where.

"What was that?" Hermione demanded as they made their way back to Gryffindor Tower.

Harry pushed the hair out of his face. "He was going on and on about Sirius. He said that he deserved it. If he had been smarter he wouldn't have gone." He took a breath forcing the wave of emotions that threatened to spill over.

Harry tried to push them under his shields. After the incident at the Ministry Dumbledore was fairly certain Voldemort wouldn't try and force his way into Harry's mind once more. He wouldn't let his own thoughts accidentally be viewed by the teen either placing up serious wards in his own mind.

"So you..." Hermione began.

"I lost my bloody temper," Harry admitted.

"Is that what he wanted?" Neville asked, speaking for the first time.

Harry nodded, "Yeah. He wanted me to lose it. I make mistakes then."

"Don't you think the point was rather for you not to lose your temper," Hermione corrected. "He wants you to be able to control yourself, keep your mind calm no matter the circumstances."

"Oi," Ron said clapping a hand on each of Harry's shoulders, "that was bloody brilliant mate. You showed the slimy git you're not going to take any of his nonsense."

"Harry lost his temper and Gryffindor twenty points," Hermione reminded Ron.

"That's too bad," Ron agreed. "I'd have loved to see Snape's face if you had spit on him."

Hermione rolled her eyes at Ron's musing, "Idiot."

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

"Are you Harry Potter," a small first or second year Hufflepuff asked Harry at dinner the Wednesday of their second week back at school.

Harry nodded. He took the extended roll of parchment.

"What's that," Neville asked looking away from his Herbology notes.

"It's from Dumbledore," Harry said spotting the familiar slanting handwriting.

"Why does the headmaster want you?" Hermione asked, "You're not a Prefect."

"I don't think it's about that or even Quidditch," Harry confirmed. "No, I think this might have to do with the prophecy."

"You never told us what that said," Neville reminded Harry.

"I know," Harry agreed, "but he said I wasn't supposed to share it. I'll see if let me tell you now. I know whatever it is, I'm going to need help. I could never do it alone."

"That's a very nice thing to say but I don't think it's true," Hermione objected.

Harry raised one eyebrow in disbelief.

"Don't do that mate," Ron requested. "It makes you look like a miniature Snape or something."

Harry ignored the redhead's interjection for the moment, "It's the truth, Hermione. I would have been killed by the devil snare in first year if it weren't for you and Neville. You two have been with me every step of the way."

Hermione nodded, "Fine, but don't expect him to say yes. You'll have to accept his answer. I'm sure he has his reasons for doing such things."

Harry shrugged, "I guess."

"When is your lesson?" Neville asked bringing the conversation back to where it began.

"Tonight," Harry said looking at the paper once more, "eight o'clock."

"Do you have any idea this was coming?"

Harry shook his head, "He didn't say anything when we went to talk Slughorn."

"Maybe he will be teaching you advanced magic," Hermione suggested.

"Maybe," Harry agreed.

Harry left his friends in Gryffindor Tower that evening as they worked together on Professor Flitwick's latest assignment. He mumbled the password, "Cockroach Clusters" and waited for the stone gargoyle to move aside. It hopped out the way at once. He was a few minutes early so he did not rush up the slowly ascending staircase.

"Come in," Dumbledore called as soon as the stairs came to a halt outside his door.

Harry pushed it open, "Sorry sir," he said spotting the other man in the office.

"Don't apologize, my boy, Professor Snape was just leaving," the headmaster informed the teen. Snape raised a curious eyebrow. "We can discuss this in greater detail later, Severus."

"As you wish, Headmaster," said Professor Snape. "I trust you are not going to cause the headmaster any unnecessary trouble.
Harry nodded.

"Don't be ridiculous, Severus. I have asked Harry here tonight. There's no need to concern yourself," Dumbledore said.

"I expect you to be at your best behavior Potter," Snape warned.

"Yes sir," Harry agreed.

Snape gave the boy one more evaluating look before rising from his seat. "Headmaster, Potter," he said as a farewell.

"What was he on about," Harry asked Dumbledore.

"Professor Snape worries that I may be stretching myself too thin," Dumbledore explained. "He can be a bit of a mother hen at times. His concerns are unfounded, my boy. There is no need to look so worried." He added at the boy's anxious expression.

"Yes sir," Harry said hesitantly. He wasn't sure what to think of that comment. Harry had never seen Snape worry disproportionately about anything. What was the head of the school doing differently that was so troubling? Was it something to do with the man's blackened hand? He would have to set those questions aside for now. Instead, he asked,

"What are we going to talk about sir?"

"Harry, I am going to give you what you need to defeat Voldemort," Dumbledore said seriously.

Harry sat up a little bit straighter in his seat. What sort of special magic might he learn from one of the greatest wizards to ever live?

"Since the night of James and Lily's deaths, I have known Voldemort would return. It was not a matter of if, but rather when. In the decade and a half, I have spent a great deal of time and energy doing my best to learn all I can about the man that became a monster." Dumbledore explained. "I want you to see, to learn all that I have about Voldemort."

The man moved and placed a large stone bowl in the center of the table. Harry recognized it, it was the Pensieve from fourth year.

Dumbledore continued, "We are going to be entering the memories of those who have had important interactions with Voldemort. These experiences helped to shape him into the man we now know."

"Errrr sir," Harry protested, "Professor Snape said..."

"Severus said you are not to enter the memories of another without their consent. That is true. It is a most grieve betrayal to do so. These memories were all consensually given to me and you will be viewing them with me." Dumbledore clarified.

Harry relaxed slightly. Dumbledore motioned the boy to stand.

"You just need to break the surface of the memory, Harry. I will be right behind you," Dumbledore instructed.

Harry placed his face to the silver, glimmering surface and then he was falling ... falling...

He stood at the corner of two roads. An oddly dressed little man stood a few feet away from him looking up at the signs trying to ascertain which direction to continue down to locate his destination.

Harry and Dumbledore followed the odd little man down the road as he met a young, handsome, impeccably dressed Muggle gentleman and his companion, a pretty young woman. He left to have an unfortunate encounter with some of the foulest people Harry had ever seen. The father was worse than Uncle Vernon on his worst days. The brother made Dudley look absolutely cuddly.

These people were to become Voldemort's parents, the Muggle young man, Tom Riddle would be his father, the terrorized girl his mother, Merope Gaunt. Voldemort's father and uncle would go to Azkaban shortly after this memory took place. Marvolo, the grandfather would never return. He died in Azkaban a little over a year into his sentence. His son would survive, the last member of a once noble house, heirs of Slytherin, that fell to ruins. The loss of the last heirlooms was what troubled Morfin Gaunt the most.

"What can you tell me, Harry?" Dumbledore requested once they returned to the office.

Harry shook his head. "I don't know, sir."

"Think back to when the Ministry official first arrived. Why do you think he had difficulties understanding him?"

"You-Know-Who wasn't the only Parslemouth in his family," Harry guessed.

"Harry, I really do not care for all this You-Know-Who business. Call him by his name. Do not give into his silly beliefs that he is beyond all others," Dumbledore requested.

Harry shook his head, "Professor Snape said that I can't say that name. That's how the Death Eaters found us last year in the Department of Mysteries."

"If you will not call him Voldemort, perhaps we can call him by his true name, the one his mother gave him, Tom," Dumbledore suggested.

"Yes sir," Harry acquiesced.

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

"What in the name of Merlin is Looney Lovegood wearing," Ron asked the table at large.

"Don't call her that," Harry and Ginny snapped together.
The fifth year Ravenclaw was coming towards Harry and the rest of the Gryffindor Quidditch team as they ate breakfast before heading down to the field. The girl had a larger than life lion's head atop her own. Its jaws were open as if mid-roar.

Harry got to his feet to greet her as she approached, "Hey Luna."

"Hullo Harry," she replied. "I wanted to wish you good luck in your match today."

"Thanks," with a crooked grin Harry said, "I like your hat."

"I wanted to have it eating a snake for your defeat of Slytherin, but I ran out of time," Luna explained. "However, it does do this." A small motion of her wand the hat let out a realistic roar.

People all over the Great Hall jumped out of their seats in a combination of shock and terror at the unexpected sound. Professor McGonagall startled by the sound dropped a huge stack of books. "Five points from Ravenclaw for that Miss Lovegood. Do not do that again indoors."

"Sorry," Harry muttered.

Luna was unfazed by the docking of points from her house.

"Is there anything else?" Harry asked.

Luna tilted her head to the side for a moment before standing tiptoe to place her lips firmly against Harry's. The boy stood there in stunned silence for what seemed like forever before finally moving his lips in response. Seamus let out a long wolf whistle.

"Five points from Gryffindor and Ravenclaw for inappropriate displays of affection," Professor Snape growled as Harry and Luna broke apart.

Harry tried and failed to hide the blush overtaking him.

"If you and Miss Lovegood are done with your amorous displays Potter I would suggest you and your team head to the pitch," Snape said, still standing only a few feet away from Harry and Luna.

"Yes sir," Harry said, the daze of the unexpected kiss continuing to hang over him.

"Maybe I won't be the only one lucky today," Ron chuckled as he slapped Harry on the back.

Luna frowned at the redhead heading out of the hall. "What did he mean by that?"

Harry shook his head, "It's Ron. He's just being an arse as usual. Professor Snape's right, I better go. I'll see you after?"

"Of course," Luna said giving him another peck on the lips.

"Brilliant," Harry said to her before turning to his team, "Come on you lot, let's get down to the pitch." Harry was grinning ear to ear as he bounced his way to the pitch.

"Potter looks like he just won a thousand galleons," a third year Ravenclaw observed.

"Did you see Potter snog Lovegood," asked another.

Harry ignored their comments. He needed to focus on the match. The match against Slytherin was likely to be their hardest of the season and his first as captain. He wanted to start off as a strong leader like Oliver and Angelina had been. He never realized how hard their job really was.

Harry changed in silence in the locker room. He slowly counted back from one hundred as firmed up his shields, shoving the excitement and nervousness under them. His thoughts back on the match Harry gave his team a short address. That was another thing he didn't know was so hard. He felt bad now giving Oliver such a hard time about it.

Harry lead his team out onto the field. Where Malfoy should have stood was Slytherin, the only girl on the team. Malfoy was not playing Seeker in today's game. That was strange as the boy prided himself on his skill at the game. Harry made a mental note of the absence to mention to Hermione and Neville later. Harry shook hands with the other team's captain, refusing to flinch despite his crushing fingers.

Madame Hooch kicked open the crate of balls and they were off. Zacharias Smith was this match’s commentator, Harry did his best to ignore the boy’s pompous remarks about Harry and his team. He did approve of his new Beater, Jimmy Peaks sending a Bludger at the blonde Hufflepuff's head, even if it cost them a penalty shot. Ron was able to catch it in a rather remarkable save.

The game came to a close with Harry catching the Snitch after almost ramming into the teacher's' box as it flew just above Smith's head. Even over the cheer of the crowd, you could still make out the sound of Luna's roaring lion hat.

Harry changed out of his sweaty uniform, the last to leave. Hermione was waiting for him as always. This time they were joined by Luna too. She still wore her ridiculous hat.

"Hey, where's Neville?" Harry asked his Firebolt under one arm.

"He went back to the Tower with Ginny, oh, what would you say, Luna, twenty minutes ago?" Hermione asked.

Luna nodded.

"Ron will love that," Harry mumbled.

"I don't think he noticed. He was a bit busy trying to bite Lavender lips off," Hermione said with disgust.

"Haven't Ginny and Neville been dating since the Yule Ball?" Luna asked.

Harry nodded, "Yeah, but ever since their dad was killed Ron's been sort of weird. He has been more protective of Ginny. Like it's his duty now or something."

Hermione agreed. "Maybe him having a girlfriend of his own will mean he lets Ginny and Neville be." Spotting Harry and Luna's linked hands she added, "I see Ronald isn't the only one to have a new girlfriend."

"Errrrr..." Harry looked at Luna, "Is that what we're calling it?"

"What else would we be?" Luna asked.

Harry shrugged, "I don't know."

Changing the topic Hermione asked. "Harry, I need you to tell me the truth. Did you put something in Ron's drink this morning?"

"That would be against the rules," Harry objected.

"Harry," Hermione whined, "I saw you. I should have gone straight to Professor McGonagall."

"I didn't do anything," Harry insisted. He released Luna's hand to remove a small glass bottle from his robes. "See? It was a little sleight of hand. Still sealed, I needed Ron to think I put it in there, give him a boost of confidence."

Hermione breathed a sigh of relief, "I'm glad I didn't go to Professor McGonagall."

"Me too," Harry agreed. "Honestly Hermione, I would never cheat at Quidditch."

"Why did you choose him as Keeper if he has so many problems?" Luna asked taking his hand once more.

"Ron doesn't have too many. It's mostly his self-confidence." Harry explained, "and the next best was a complete nightmare. I have never met anyone more full of themselves than Cormac McLaggen."

The three talked about the game the rest of the way to the castle. Luna made to return to her own dorm as they walked up to the Gryffindor Tower.

"You're not coming with us?" A confused Harry asked.
"She can't come into our Common Room," Hermione reminded him.

"I know," he turned back to Luna. "Come with us. I'll grab us some plates and then we can go find someplace together."

Luna fell back into step with the two Gryffindors. Harry squeezed her hand once before stepping through the portrait hole. The painting swung back in place leaving Luna standing by herself in the silent hallway.

The common room was with excited chatter as everyone ate and drank their victory. Harry was greeted with a round of applause. He bowed in acknowledgment as everyone returned to their conversations.

"Took you long enough to get here," Ginny said joining Harry at the refreshment table.

Harry shrugged, "Well, not all of us rush to post match celebration like there's a blast-end swkert on their heals."

"That's my brother," Ginny objected. It was then the youngest Weasley noticed how many plates Harry was preparing. "Are you taking eating lessons from Ron now?"

"What," Harry frowned.

Ginny motioned to the plates.

The realization dawned on Harry, "Oh, I'm making one for Luna. We're going to find somewhere to talk."

"Just talk?" Ginny teased.

"Ginny," Harry groaned. "That's none of your business."

"And it's none of my brothers', but it never stopped any of them asking," came her quick reply.

"I'm not...it's not... we're not siblings," Harry protested.

"Mum says you're as good has one of hers. Means you get all the siblings too, not just the cooking." Ginny informed him.

Harry pondered the comment, "Ginny, does it bother..."

"What's going on Harry? I saw Luna Lovegood waiting outside just now," Dean asked interrupting their conversation.

"She's waiting for me," Harry explained.

"Good luck with that one mate," Dean said with a grin.

Ginny rolled her eyes, "You shouldn't leave Luna waiting, Harry."

"I know," Harry said slipping a couple of bottles of butter into his pockets. "I'll see you later, Gin."

"Have fun," she said turning back to answer whatever question Dean had asked her. It was harder going through of the portrait hole this time.

"Here you go," Harry said offering Luna one of the plates.

"Where should we go?" Luna asked.

Harry frowned, "Maybe the Room of Requirements?"

Luna nodded in approval as she took her plate.

"What should we ask the room to provide?" Luna asked a floor below their destination.

"A place to talk," Harry suggested.

They walked back and forth in front of where the door to the room was hidden thinking of the desired space. On the third turn, a door appeared but refused to open when Harry tugged on the handle.

"That's strange," Harry mumbled.

"Someone may be in there," Luna suggested.

"Who would be there at this time," Harry asked.
Luna raised an eyebrow.
Harry shrugged, "I mean..."

"Why don't we find a classroom," Luna suggested.

Harry nodded. When they reached the corner to go downstairs Harry noticed the door to the Room of Requirements open. He doesn't think the person can see him from the top of the stairs, but he can see them. There is no mistaking that blonde hair, it was Malfoy using the room. What could the boy up to?

Luna's tug on his hand brought him back to the present. The kiss she plants on him as soon as they enter the empty room drives all thoughts of the Slytherin from his mind. Harry didn't even think about where the boy may have been during the Quidditch match until he spotted the boy the next morning at breakfast. Malfoy was in an intense conversation with Crabbe and Goyle, about what Harry did not know. Harry told Hermione and Neville once again he was certain Malfoy was plotting something. Neither were as certain as Harry that such a thing was true, but it was Ginny that reminded him that Professor Snape told him to mind his own business. Could the Potions Master know what the boy was planning? Malfoy didn't seem to trust the man the way he used to? Did Malfoy suspect Snape was a spy? That wasn't possible, was it? Harry had to know what Malfoy was up to, for everyone's safety.

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

“I don’t know if I want to go to Hogsmeade,” Hermione said as she sat with Harry, Luna, Neville, and Ginny at breakfast.

“Why?” Harry asked.

“I don’t want to be a fifth wheel,” Hermione complained.

“You won’t be,” Neville reassured.

“Where’s Viktor?” Ginny asked instead.

“Bulgaria, I think. He has a match coming up on the continent,” Hermione answered as she stabbed at her porridge frustrated gesture.

“Fred and George are going to be in the village. You wouldn’t want to miss them,” Ginny urged.

Hermione looked at her friend curiously.

“They told me in their last letter that they wanted to look at a space in Hogsmeade. Really, I think they want to check on me and Ron,” the youngest Weasley explained.

“It’s nice they want to see you,” Neville observed.

Ginny shrugged. “I’m sure Mum put them up to it. Fred and George only show they care by taking the mickey out of you.”

Harry chuckled, “They’re not that bad, Gin.”

“You say that after living with them for fifteen years,” Ginny shot back. “You never saw them at their worst.”

“Are you going to come?” Neville asked redirecting the conversation back to Hermione,

“I’ll think about it,” she conceded.

Hermione did accompany the quartet down to the village. Ginny was supposed to be meeting the twins and Ron at the Three Broomsticks at noon before their one o’clock appointment. After that, the four would be free to spend the afternoon in the village as they wished.

It was a horribly cold and windy day as they walked down the sloping grounds to the village. Hats were pulled down low and scarves wrapped tightly around people’s faces trying not to freeze. The howling wind made it almost impossible to be heard the students resorting to gesturing to communicate to their friends.

The five arrived in the village a bit early for their meeting with the twins. Hermione indicated she needed some more parchment and begged off into Scrivenshaft’s Quill Shop. Harry had little interest in the stationary store and was hesitant to enter. Luna took his hand, pulling him down the high street.
With no hesitation, she pulled him into the frilly chamber of Madame Pettifoot’s tea room.

“Why are we here?” Harry asked, pulling the red and gold scarf away from his frozen features.

“I thought I rather fancied a nice snog,” Luna replied as they were lead to a small table.

Harry couldn’t help but notice a number of other couples looked up as they passed by. His relationship with the mad Ravenclaw was still a matter of discussion on the school rumor mill he knew even after it was unceremoniously announced to all of Hogwarts when Luna kissed him in the Great Hall. He didn’t like the comments that he occasionally heard speculating about what the girl might have done to claim him as her boyfriend. From what he could tell, Luna took little to no notice of such remarks.

“Do you think they’ll wonder where we went?” Harry asked as he let Luna place their order. He was still new to this dating thing and sometimes had a hard time knowing how he was supposed to balance it with his group of friends.

“No,” Luna stated matter of fact, “I told Ginny where we were going.”

“Oh,” Harry mumbled.

“They won’t leave Hermione alone,” Luna assured him. “It wouldn’t be very kind of us to make her feel like she isn’t wanted. Even if it’s not our fault Viktor to stay to prepare for this match even when she asked him to come this weekend specifically.”

“She did?” Harry asked.

“Oh yes,” Luna confirmed. “He said he would like to come but this match was too important to his team’s standings or something.”

“Well, it is his job,” Harry sympathized.

Luna frowned, “Hermione feels he isn’t being very serious. He should be doing something to support the war, not just flying around on a silly broomstick.”

“How do we know he’s not?” Harry asked. “People are doing all sorts of things to fight You-Know-Who. We don’t know what all of them are up to, maybe Krum just looks like he’s playing Quidditch so he won’t draw attention.”

Luna gave him a disapproving look.

Harry shrugged. “I didn’t say that’s actually what he’s doing, just that it could be.”

The waitress returned with their tea and sandwiches. Harry didn’t really want any of them. The eyes of their schoolmates were on them once more.

“Errrrr….. Luna….” Harry mumbled.

“Yes,” she said selecting one of the small crust-less sandwiches from the tray in front of her.

“Would it be okay if we…. Errr…. If we didn’t stay?” Harry asked nervously.

“Is it that people are looking?” Luna asked as she dunked her sandwich into her tea. She paid the onlookers no mind.

“Yes,” Harry agreed.

“Should would give them something to look at?” She suggested after finishing her first sandwich.
Harry stared at her.

“There is nothing interesting about us now. Should we maybe give them something more to talk about?” Luna said once more.
Harry shook his head. “No. That’s okay.”

“I said when we came in here that I wanted a proper snog Harry Potter,” Luna said setting her tea and sandwiches aside.

“Oh,” Harry mumbled. Still, he felt awkward. He could see multiple couples (at least the girls looking over to him and Luna.
When Harry didn’t move in Luna took it on herself to make the first move. The dumbfounded boy eventually got the clue and responded to her kiss. He lost himself in her lips. He didn’t care anybody about the other tables watching them.

A loud bang drew him back to the real world. He had no idea how long it had been.

“Where’s the cannon?” He asked stupidly.

“We need to go to the Three Broomsticks now,” Luna informed him. “It’s ten to noon.”

“Right,” Harry said his senses fully restored. He paid for the tea as Luna gathered their things. They pulled on their cloaks and scarves making sure they were fully dressed before heading out into the cold once more. They walked hand in hand as they made their way up the high street.

“That’s Dung,” Harry said spotting a man outside the Three Broomsticks.

Harry wasn’t sure Luna had understood him as he pointed to the man. Mundungus was talking to another wizard, a large case in his arms.

“Oi Dung,” Harry greeted as he and Luna met him outside the pub.

“Oh, ‘ello, ‘Arry,” Mundungus said shifting from one foot to the other.

“What are you doing here?” Harry asked.

“I had a… business opportunity…” Mundungus said looking for an escape.

“Harry,” Luna said picking up a goblet that sat by Mundungus’ foot, “Isn’t this the Black family crest?”

Harry turned to the blonde a furrow between his brows. He took the goblet turning it over in his hand. “What the Hell!” Harry turned to the man. “These were Sirius’! You thief!”

Mundungus Apparated away.

“Coward!” Harry yelled where the hangdog-faced wizard had once stood.

“He can’t hear you,” a woman said from behind Harry and Luna.
Harry turned to see who it was who spoke.

“Wotcher Harry,” Tonks said. Her face was pale despite the cold. Harry could see a bit of hair sticking out from under her cap, the same limp blonde he had seen her with on the train.

“He’s stealing Sirius’ things… My things and selling them,” Harry complained.

Tonks shrugged. “I’ll see what we can do. You two should go inside. I saw Fred and George go in already.”

Harry nodded. “We’ll see you around?”

Tonks nodded back, “I’m stationed at Hogwarts for the moment if you need me.”

“Goodbye,” Luna said slipping past Harry into the pub.

Harry watched for a moment as the once vibrant Auror walked down the near vacant street. She disappeared down an alley a few stores down. Harry wondered how close she and Sirius had been if his death was upsetting her this much. He shook his head as he entered the pub. Fred and George had managed to claim seats close to the fire, the others already sitting with them.

Fred rose to greet the new arrivals, “Harry my good man, and the lovely Luna.”

Harry rolled his eyes at the twin. Luna extended her hand to Fred but he was intercepted by his mirror image. George leaned over and placed an overly-dramatic kiss on her hand.

“It’s so wonderful to see you again, Luna,” George said doing his best impersonation of Percy. “How is your health?”

“Knock it off George,” Ginny ordered as she passed mugs of Butterbeer to Harry and Luna.

George sighed, “Fine,” as he took his seat once more.
“You managing alright there Harry?” Fred asked. “We heard Snape took it out on you the other day?”

Harry looked from Hermione to Neville, both shook their heads. Ron blushed slightly.

Harry shrugged, “No worse than normal. I’m still having some problems with nonverbals.”

“They’re not so hard,” George reassured. “You just go to put your mind ahead of your mouth.”

“Right,” Harry agreed non-committedly. Redirecting the conversation to the twins he asked, “How are things with the shop?”

“Absolutely mad,” Fred said with a grin. “We just got another order from the Ministry. We had to bring on an extra person to deal with the owl orders we’re receiving.”

“That’s excellent,” Harry said with a smile.

“How many fanged Frisbees have you confiscated Hermione?” George asked.

“A number, are you selling them now?” She replied over the rim of her mug of Butterbeer.

“But of course,” George grinned.

After the discussion of the store, the group talked about Gryffindor’s chances for the Quidditch Cup this year. Harry thought they were high. He liked how the team was coming along. Even the new Beaters were doing pretty well, though no one could ever replace Fred and George.

As they gathered their things Harry saw a familiar blonde head make his way to the bathroom. Harry kept his eyes on Malfoy until Luna tugged him away. The group talked outside of the establishment for a while.

“Katie,” a girl called.

“I have to get this to Dumbledore,” the other girl said ignoring her friend.

Harry frowned at the voice. It was Katie Bell. What could she have for Dumbledore?

“Katie,” the girl begged.

“Harry are you okay?” Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head. He motioned to the scuffle that broke out between Katie and her friend. The others turned to look as Katie began to rise up into the air, her face contorted into a silent scream. Harry ran for the girls, Fred and George right behind him. Katie had landed in a graceless lump on the street by the time the boys reached her and her friend.

“We need to let somebody at the castle know what happened,” Harry said reaching out to check on his Chaser.

George drew his wand casting a Patronus, the silver coyote running off into the distance. The unmistakable form of Hagrid appeared coming out of one of the shops.

“Hagrid,” Neville called the half-giant to them.

“’Lo Neville,” Hagrid said.

“There’s been an accident. Katie needs to get to the Hospital Wing right away,” the round-faced boy explained.

The Care of Magical Creatures professor scooped the injured girl up with no hesitation. He ran off her as if she weighed more than a bag of crisps.

“What happened?” Harry demanded of Katie’s friend.

The girl shook her head. Her thin frame was racked with sobs.

“It’s Leanne,” Hermione asked more softly.
The girl nodded this time.

“Can you tell me what happened?” Hermione asked softly.

“We were in the Three Broomsticks,” Leanne began. Her voice was tight as she tried to speak around her tears. “She went to the bathroom before we went back to the castle. She came back and was acting strangely. She said she had to speak to Professor Dumbledore. She had this package too.”

“This one?” Harry asked the package sitting on the muddy ground a few feet away.

Leanne nodded again.

“I don’t think you should touch that,” Hermione warned.
Harry carefully removed his scarf wrapping it around the package. “We need to take this to the castle. They might need it to help Katie.”

Hermione relented. Professor McGonagall was waiting for them as they arrived in the main hall of the castle.

“I bet Malfoy has something to do with this,” Harry said as he paced the length of the office.

“It doesn’t really matter right now mate,” Fred said. “What matters now is that Katie is okay.”

“But if it’s Malfoy,” Harry insisted.

“Not now Harry,” George dismissed.

“Why do you think it’s Malfoy?” Neville asked as he sat with Ginny, her small hands intertwined with his larger one.

“I saw him going to the bathroom just before we left,” Harry explained.

“Let’s not talk about this now,” Hermione urged. She sat next to Leanne trying to comfort the still distraught girl.

“Sorry,” Harry mumbled. He walked another lap of the room.

Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore arrived sometime later. All were thanked for their quick action if they had not got Katie to the castle as quickly as they had she might not have survived. Madame Pomfrey was doing her best. The girl would most likely have to be transferred to St. Mungo’s in London. If she recovered maybe should tell them what happened until then all they could do was wait and hope.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3382