Seasons of Love by Stump_Pan
Summary: How different would things be if Snape went to pick up Harry instead of Hagrid?

Snapshots of how things might have been through all seven years by season.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Canon, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year, 5th summer, 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 207949 Read: 117273 Published: 10 Feb 2017 Updated: 02 Sep 2017
Spring 1998 by Stump_Pan

Fleur was the first out of the small cottage to greet the four young people. She issued them into the kitchen making sure they wiped their feet before they entered. The room was full of the smell of freshly baked goods.

Harry looked for the source of the smell. Luna stood in front of the oven taking out a tray of croissants. She either hadn’t noticed the guests’ arrival or did not care as she continued with what she was doing unphased.

“It smells wonderful,” Harry told her.

She acknowledged their presence for the first time with a smile and a low, “Hullo Harry.” She placed the tray on the counter. Half her front was covered in pastry flour.

“Just Harry? What about the rest of us? What are we, dragon liver?” Fred demanded in mock anger.

“Ah, well, you know Fred, we don’t have the same priority as the Chosen One there. We just have to settle for getting something to eat,” George informed his twin.

“Zere is too much food here, eat,” Fleur encouraged the twins leading them and Hermione into the dining room.

Harry ignored the twins banter as he stood locked in place in the small kitchen. He gave Luna a warm smile as she walked over to him. His lips met hers in a kiss, both trying to convey all the emotion they could not find the words for. They surfaced some moments later. Harry resting his forehead on hers.

“I’ve missed you,” he told her.

“And I you,” she said.

Luna ran a finger along his neck. Harry flinched as she traced where the necklace had dug into his skin as it tried to drown him in the lake.

“There was dark magic here,” Luna observed moving her finger over his neck once more.

“Yeah,” Harry admitted. “I was a bit of an idiot and decided that taking a dip with a Horcrux around my neck was a good idea.”

Luna said nothing as she continued to touch the skin on his neck.

“How did you know that? About the necklace I mean,” Harry asked as he gently pulled her hand away from his neck.

“All magic leaves a mark, dark magic especially,” Luna said her hands at her side.

Harry rubbed at the spot on his neck. The mark of where the necklace had dug into his skin was no longer visible. It had faded within a few hours of George pulling him out of the lake.

“Did you destroy what did this,” Luna asked making a move to touch his neck again.

“Yeah,” Harry said grabbing her hand before it could touch his neck again. He wasn’t sure how he felt about her being able to sense what had happened there. “We still have another one to destroy too.”

“Another what,” Bill asked coming into the kitchen.

Harry froze. He hadn’t meant for Bill or Fleur to know anything about what they had been doing for the better part of the last year.

“If it’s a dark artifact, I can help,” Bill offered when Harry didn’t respond. “I was a pretty good curse breaker,” the tall redhead made a wide sweeping motion, “before all this.”

“I know,” Harry finally replied. “We’ve got it. Thanks.”

Bill frowned in disapproval. “Is there something you aren’t telling me?”

Harry nodded with a sad sigh, “Yeah.” Before the older wizard could say anything Harry spoke again, “Dumbledore didn’t want anyone else to know about it. I shouldn’t have told Hermione, or the twins either... But they couldn’t have come with me without knowing what we were doing.”

Bill shrugged, “Dumbledore certainly liked his secrets.”

Harry gave him a weak smile, “Tell me about it.”

“If there is something dark here, I would prefer you get rid of it as soon a possible,” Bill requested.

“Certainly,” Harry agreed.

Harry walked hand in hand with Luna into the dining room. Everyone was sitting around a light colored wooden table. Hermione sat with a cup of coffee in front of her picking at one of the many different kinds of pastry on the table. Fred and George were listening intently to Fleur as she informed them on what they knew of what was going on with the other relatives and fellow Order members. Harry sat down across from George, carelessly pulling Luna into his lap. The blonde didn’t seem to mind as she rested her head on his shoulder, occasionally adding to Fleur’s description of events.

When all had eaten their fill they were shown to rooms upstairs. Hermione was to share with Luna. Fred and George in one room, Harry had the smallest of the rooms to himself. He hadn’t been so grateful to have a real bed since Professor Snape had picked him up from that cabin out on the rocks the night of his eleventh birthday before taking him to Diagon Alley for the first time.

Harry fell into an uneasy sleep. His dreams were filled with nightmare visions of Voldemort of entering the cave. Harry watched as he pulled up the boat and crossed the lake, the potion was vanished away to reveal an empty stone basin. He screamed in anger.

“Harry,” a panicky Hermione screamed.

Harry opened a bleary green eye. Hermione stood just above him, her bushy brown hair falling into her face.

“You were screaming,” George informed Harry.

“Sorry,” Harry mumbled as he sat up on his bed.

“Don’t worry about it, mate. Do you want to tell us about it?” George asked.

Harry looked uncertainly at the door.

“Bill and Fleur are still asleep,” Fred answered the unasked question.

“He’s looking for the Horcruxes, making sure they’re still there. He was in the cave,” Harry said rubbing at his neck. “He knows that one is gone. It’s only a matter of time before he checks on the other ones. We need to destroy the cup as soon as possible.”

“I’ll leave that one to you,” Fred said stepping back.

Harry frowned at his friend's action.

“I’ve had enough with possessed objects trying to kill me. I would rather face a dozen Death Eaters than one of those things again,” Fred explained.

“I’m with him,” George said jerking his finger back at his brother.

Harry sighed.

“I’ll do it,” Hermione said squeezing Harry’s hand.

“Thanks, Hermione,” Harry said with a slight sigh of relief.

“Do you want to do it now?” Fred asked.

“There’s no reason to wait. Bill wanted us to get rid of it as soon as possible,” Harry agreed with a shrug.

“You told Bill about the Horcruxes,” Hermione demanded scandalized.

Harry shook his head, “Not really. I said we were doing something for Dumbledore. He wanted to know if it was a dark object. I said yes, and then he said if that was the case, he would like it if we got rid of it as soon as possible. If You-Know-Who is looking for them we should probably get rid of the one we have.”

Hermione gave Harry’s hand another squeeze. She disappeared down the hall, he figured it was to get her beaded bag that held the cup along with all their other belongings. He pulled on his shoes and a coat. She was waiting for him in the hall, the box Luna had given him for his birthday in one hand, in the other she had the Sword of Gryffindor. He followed her downstairs. She stopped at the kitchen.

“Outside,” Harry advised. “I don’t want to accidentally burn down the house or something.”

Harry opened the door for her as Hermione wordlessly complied with his request. The breeze off the ocean was cool as it blew the hair off Harry’s face. The wind cutting through his jacket, he wished he had put a sweater over his pajamas before they came out here. Hermione couldn’t hide the shiver as another gust caught them.

“Let’s hurry up and get this done,” Harry encouraged. He held out his hand.

“What do you want,” Hermione asked.

“The box,” Harry answered, he said gesturing for it again.

Hermione looked down to the box in her hand.

“I’m just going to take the cup out and set it up for you,” Harry explained. “I won’t take it. I promise.”

Hermione nodded and offered him the desired item. Harry flipped open the lid of the box. He could feel a faint heartbeat emanating from the cup as his fingers wrapped around the cool gold. He refused to let his unease show on his face as he pulled it out and set it on the ground.

“Like I told the twins, don’t be surprised if it tries to fight back,” Harry warned.

Hermione nodded. Her fingers were white under her grip on the hilt of the sword. She came closer so she stood next to Harry.

“You should be able to just stab it,” Harry told her.

She raised the sword to her just above her head and jabbed the sword straight down. There was a scream like that Harry heard in the Chamber of Secrets and when the twins destroyed the cup. A gust of wind knocked Harry and Hermione off their feet and then it was gone. The sword fell out of Hermione’s hand with the force of hitting the sand. The cup was still smoking as the two got back to their feet.

“Is that it?” Hermione asked.

Harry frowned, “I don’t know. Maybe we should stab it again, just to be safe.”

“Okay,” Hermione agreed, “where’s the sword?”

Harry cocked his head to the side, “What do you mean?”

“What did you do with the sword?” Hermione demanded.

“What do you mean what did I do with it? You had it last. It’s not where you fell?” Harry asked.

Hermione pointed to where she landed. There was an outline of Hermione’s body that showed where she had laid, the sword was nowhere in sight.

“And you didn’t pick it up,” Harry asked.

“Why would I be asking you what you did with it if I had it,” Hermione snapped.

“Shit” Harry swore into the night. “It’s gone.”

“Gone, gone where,” Hermione demanded.

“To where it rightfully belongs,” Harry replied.

Hermione fixed him with a curious look. Harry pushed his hair out of his face.

“The goblin at the bank said something about how the sword, the real sword would stay with us for as long as we needed it,” Harry explained.

“We still need it. We still have to kill the snake and find the other Horcrux that belonged to Ravenclaw or Gryffindor,” Hermione argued.

Harry shrank into himself, “I know. I don’t know what to say, Hermione. The sword is gone.”

“How do we get it back,” Hermione asked.

“I don’t know,” Harry said again. He stood, brushing the sand off his knees.

“Where are you going,” Hermione asked.

“Back to bed,” Harry answered, he was too tired for this now.

“We need to figure out how we are going to get the Sword of Gryffindor back,” Hermione insisted.

“Not now Hermione,” Harry snapped. “I’m tired. You’re tired. Everyone is going to be worried that the damn cup almost killed us in the middle of the bloody night. We can deal with it in the morning.”

Hermione opened her mouth as if to speak then shut it thinking better of it. Harry breathed a sigh of relief at the girl’s silence. He ignored Fred and George’s questions as he came back into the kitchen. He continued straight back upstairs to the tiny room he called his own. He flopped onto the bed his glasses and shoes still on.

Harry shifted in his sleep as gentle fingers slowly pulled his glasses from his half-buried face. His nose was filled with the floral scent of a girl’s shampoo and a subtle sagging in the mattress as some crawled in beside him.

“Luna,” he mumbled in his barely awake state pulling the girl closer to his body. They had been dealt a major setback with the disappearance of the sword. There were still two more Horcruxes out there not including Harry or Voldemort, one of which they had no idea what it was. The other was always in the presence of the most dangerous wizard to ever live. Even with that being the case, Harry realized they had faced darker times.


~~~*****~~~*****~~~


The four of them had been at Shell Cottage for a few weeks went the fireplace roared to life to deposit a dusty Remus on the hearth rug. The appearance of the werewolf caught all the residents off-guard.

“Is everything okay Remus,” Hermione asked helping her former professor to his feet.

“It’s wonderful,” the man said with an ear-splitting grin.

Hermione stepped back. There was a heavy scent of alcohol coming off the werewolf.

“What’s happened Remus,” Harry asked.

“It’s a boy,” Remus said clapping Harry on the shoulder.

“A boy,” Harry said with a puzzled look. “Tonks had the baby?”

“Theodore Remus Lupin,” Remus confirmed, “My Teddy.” He pulled out a photograph from the inside pocket of the worn robes he was dressed in. Tonks’ hair lay in her bed; her brown hair was damp and stuck to her forehead. There was a tiny baby with a shock of turquoise hair resting on his mother’s chest.

“He’s a Metamorphmagus,” Harry observed.

“Just like his mum,” Remus said proudly. He swayed slightly where he stood.

“Let’s get you a cup of coffee, Remus,” Fred said sitting the new father down at the table.

“Remus is…” Hermione began. “Is Tonks’ ability…”

“He’s perfect,” Remus said cutting her off. “He’s completely perfect. I didn’t pass on my curse.”

There was a collective sigh of relief around the room.

“That’s fantastic Remus,” Bill said, voicing everyone’s opinion for them.

Fred placed a strong cup of coffee in front of Remus. The man took a large sip, grimacing slightly at the taste.

“Harry,” Remus said seriously after another sip of coffee.

Harry’s emerald eyes matched the amber of the werewolf.

“I want you to be godfather,” Remus continued.

“Me,” Harry repeated.

“Yes,” Remus confirmed. “I can’t think of who would do a better job.”

Harry swallowed thickly. He knew he wouldn’t survive the end of this war. He would have to die for Voldemort to die. He couldn’t look at Remus and tell him no.

“You’re supposed to say yes,” George teased.

Harry nodded, “Of course, I will.”

The kitchen was filled with happy conversation about how Tonks and the baby were doing. Harry sat silently at the table brooding over this new development. Harry hoped Remus would forgive him for leaving his son without a godfather. He hoped that Teddy would be too young to know the pain of losing him.


~~~*****~~~*****~~~


“Will you please sit down,” Fred begged as Harry made another lap in front of the fireplace in Shell Cottage.

“We’ve been here six weeks and are no closer to knowing why Dumbledore left Luna the painting, or where the last Horcrux is,” Harry complained as he turned to continue in his pacing.

“We have a good idea where the last Horcrux is,” George corrected. “We are pretty sure that’s it’s still in Hogwarts. Even You-Know-Who won’t go to try and check on that one before he has to.”

“Fine,” Harry conceded. “How are we supposed to get our hands on something in the castle? And what’s so bloody important about the painting?”

“We don’t know Harry,” Hermione said with mild annoyance. The painting and its subject had become one of the boy’s most recent obsessions.

“I just wish we had the painting,” Harry sighed.

“I’m sorry,” Luna apologized. “I didn’t want the nargles to steal it out of Ravenclaw Tower.”

“I know,” Harry sighed. “Did she ever say anything about Dumbledore or Horcruxes?”

It was a question he had asked her before and the answer had always been no. There was no reason the answer should change today.

“She talked to me about goats and helping Abe with them,” Luna answered the same way she had before.

George scoffed. Harry turned to look at the other boy.

“What,” George demanded.

“What’s so funny,” Hermione asked softly.

George shrugged, “Just me and Fred know a wizard named Abe that was obsessed with goats.”

“Who,” Harry and Hermione demanded together.

“It’s just the crazy old barman of at the Hogshead in Hogsmeade,” George answered.

“The barman of the Hogshead,” Hermione repeated, defeated.

“You said he was obsessed with goats?” Harry asked his brow furrowed.

“Yeah, he even had a couple that would wander around the yard, one even came inside,” Fred confirmed. “Is that important?”

Harry removed the well paged through copy of The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore.

“What’s that load of tosh have to do with anything,” George said with a sigh.

Harry ignored the comment flipping through the pages in search for something. He placed a finger under one of the pages. He continued to look for something else going through more pages.

“Harry,” Hermione asked.

“One minute,” Harry said going back a page or two. “Here it is,” he said victoriously.

“Here what is,” inquired Fred.

Harry read out loud, “The far less talented brother of the mighty Albus Dumbledore, Aberforth Dumbledore began Hogwarts in the fall of 1896. He was nearly expelled in his third year for conducting spells on goats. This unnatural tendency would follow him into adulthood as he was sanctioned several times by the Ministry of Magic for casting charms on goats. It was only the intervention of his famous brother Albus that stopped Aberforth from being sent to Azkaban.
The two brothers haven’t spoken since the funeral of their younger sister Ariana see chapter 13 for further detail.” Harry turned the book to face the others in front of him, turning to the first page that he marked with his finger.

“That’s Aberforth,” Harry said jabbing the picture of the Dumbledore family. The boys were a few years apart in age, with matching old-fashioned haircut that ended on their shoulders. “Is that the Abe you know?”

Fred and George looked at one another. Fred cocked his head to the side.

“Add about a hundred years to the face, and a bread that comes down to his waist,” Fred mumbled. “What do you think, George?”

George mirrored the motion in the opposite direction, “It might be.”

“Then we know where we’re going next,” Harry said slamming the book shut.

“What are you talking about,” Hermione demanded of the bespectacled boy.

“We need to go and talk to this Abe,” Harry answered as if it was obvious. “If he is Aberforth Dumbledore he might know why his brother would have left us the painting.

“Harry,” Hermione said anxiously. “Going to Hogsmeade, that’s insane. Do you want another repeat of what happened in Godric’s Hollow?”

“Of course not,” Harry snapped. “But what else are we supposed to do? We know that the last Horcrux has to be somewhere in the castle. We just need to find it.”

“It was where all lost things are,” Luna said twirling her hair absent mindedly around the tip of her wand.

“Where all lost things are,” Hermione said confused looking at the blonde girl.

“Of course,” Luna said with a wide smile. “Where else would it be?”

“What does that even mean,” Hermione demanded clearly frustrated. “Even if we find out about the painting I don’t see how that will do us any good about getting into the castle. “If we get into the castle, You-Know-Who is sure to find out about it. If we go, we need to be prepared to face You-Know-Who.”

“I know,” Harry agreed. “We’re not going to be able to achieve anything here,” he said motioning to their surroundings.

“We need to plan,” Hermione argued.

“When has anything you ever planned actually worked,” Fred asked leaning casually in his chair. “We’ve always gotten by on luck. Just look at our trip to save Sirius or the getting the necklace from that toad.”

“The trip to save Sirius was a disaster,” Hermione argued. “We didn’t even get the prophecy that the Death Eaters wanted.”

“It could have been even worse. It was a miracle that none of us died,” George countered.

“Do we have any more of the Felix?” Harry asked hopefully.

George shook his head. “The Ministry lot raided the store after the bank. They destroyed the batch.”

“Are we sure they destroyed it?” Hermione asked worriedly.

Fred nodded. “It was spilled all over the floor in the workshop. I’m not sure they recognized it or if they didn’t want to risk taking it if it was improperly made.”

Harry sighed, “We could have used a bit more luck.”

“I don’t think we could have risked the use of it again,” Hermione said contemplating the possibilities.

“What because of the “giddiness or risky behavior?” Fred asked curiously.

Hermione nodded.

“I don’t know about you but I would rather face You-Know-Who with a little luck on my side, side effects or no,” George said.

“It could put you at greater risk,” Hermione argued.

“It doesn’t matter since we don’t have any,” Harry interjected effectively putting an end to the discussion.

“When are we going?” Luna asked.

“We,” Harry repeated. “You’re not coming.”

“Harry Potter you can’t stop me from returning to the school with you. You need me. I know where Ravenclaw’s diadem is,” Luna said firmly.

There was a gasp as the others realized what the girl had said.

“You know where Ravenclaw’s diadem is?” Hermione asked awestruck.

“It was where all lost things were,” Luna said once again.

“Luna it’s been missing since the time of the Founders. How did you find it?” Hermione wondered.

“Why didn’t you tell us,” Harry demanded before Luna could answer Hermione’s question. “We’ve been trying to figure out what the Horcrux could be for weeks. You knew it could be something that belonged to Ravenclaw or Gryffindor.”

“I’ve said that it was at Hogwarts,” Luna answered back. “You never asked me about it.”

“Fine,” Harry sighed. He wasn’t pleased that his girlfriend hadn’t told him something so important.

“When do we go?” Fred inquired.

“Tonight,” Harry said decisively.

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

The five teens Apparated into the village of Hogsmeade at the end of the high street. The night was filled with the screams of a Caterwaul Charm. The air was far too cool for the evening in early May. A group of dementors swooped down on them.

“Damn it,” George swore.

Without a second thought, Harry raised his wand and yelled, “Expecto Patronum!” The familiar silver doe rushed into the night driving the collection of dementors back into the darkness.

The young people looked around their surroundings trying to determine where should they go.

“Get in here,” an old man snapped coming out of the Hogshead Tavern. The group rushed into the establishment. The bar looked like no one had visited it in over a decade, the amount of dust covering the old wooden tables. The bartender led them past the bar into a shabby set of rooms where he must live.

Harry sat down on one of the ancient, threadbare chairs. Fred and George stood behind him on either side. Luna and Hermione sat next to one another on a sofa just as old and worn as the chair Harry sat in.

There was a banging on the door of the bar. “Stay here,” the man ordered. He closed the door, they could hear him muttering something from the other side, then nothing.

“Look,” Hermione urged, pointing to the painting that hung above the fireplace. It was a painting of the same girl from Luna’s portrait, possibly a few years older. There was a distance in the girl’s gaze that hadn’t existed in the younger girl. She appeared to be lost in her own world.

“We’re in the right place then,” Harry observed.

The old man returned a few minutes later, his arms filled with bottles of Butterbeer, one for each of his guests. Harry took his and looked back to the painting above the fireplace.

“Who was it,” Hermione asked.

“Just a ruddy group of Death Eaters,” the man said passing her a bottle. She took it wordlessly. “They know your Patronus, boy.” He looked darkly at Harry. “I was able to convince them it was mine though. A doe and a goat are close enough with a Confundus thrown in.”

“Who is she,” Harry asked gesturing to the painting.

“Ariana, my younger sister,” the old man answered.

“So, you’re Aberforth Dumbledore,” Harry concluded, “younger brother to Albus.”

The old man’s face soured at the use of his full name, or possibly the mention of his infamous brother. Still, he nodded in verification.

“She was very pretty,” Luna observed. “The headmaster left me another painting of her in his will.” Aberforth scoffed at that. Luna continued to speak, “She said that she used to like taking care of the goats with you, Abe.”

Aberforth looked up at this, “She did. She did. The mighty Albus never understood it. He always wanted to hide her away. Just like Mother and Father always did. She deserved better than that.”

“What happened to her,” Hermione asked gently. “It says in the book she was in poor health.”

“She wasn’t, not ‘til those Muggles attacked her,” Aberforth growled. “She was scared and lashed out. Father made them pay for what they did. They took him away for what he did and poor Ariana was never same.”

“That’s why she never went to Hogwarts but... errr…” Harry began uncertainly. “We saw her grave she died when she was only a little kid.”

“At the hands of my great brother,” Aberforth said with disdain. “He was too focused on his new friend and how wonderful the two of them could be. He wanted to go and search for a bloody legend. He didn’t want to be responsible for anyone or anything. We fought. The sounds must have scared Ariana. I don’t know what happened. Albus’ new friend, Gerhart was in the way… Then Ariana fell.”

The four young people sat there wordlessly. There was nothing they could say that would dull the ache of the hundred years of grief the old man in front of the man.

“My brother didn’t even care she died. He was ready to leave as soon as the funeral was over,” Aberforth continued. “He didn’t care for her at all. He was relieved she was gone. He never regretted what happened.”

“That’s not right,” objected Harry. “I was with Professor Dumbledore when he died. Before it, he had to take a potion, a horrible potion. He kept begging forgiveness. He regretted what happened every day of his life,” Harry insisted.

Aberforth made a noise of disbelief. The room fell silent once more. There was a knocking causing all the occupants to jump.

“What’s that,” Fred demanded as his twin yelled, “Where’s that coming from?”

The old man crossed the room and swung his sister’s portrait out of the way. There was a tunnel behind it rather like the one that led to the cellar of Honeydukes or to the Shrieking Shack. A figure dressed in black robes jumped down onto the floor from the tunnel.

“Neville,” Hermione shrieked as soon as the boy raised his face for her to see.

“Hi Hermione,” Neville said. His round face was marred with bruises. It looked as if his nose had been broken at least once as well.

“What happened Neville,” George demanded.

“It’s not important,” Neville dismissed. When he spoke, Harry could see several teeth had been knocked out.

“Like Hell, it isn’t,” Fred said looking at the other boy’s face. “You look like you went seven rounds with that jinxed Bludger that tried to kill Harry.”

Neville waved him off, “It’s not that bad, Seamus is worse.”

“Neville,” Hermione pleaded.

Neville shrugged, “I guess I pushed the limits a bit too far.”

“What do you mean,” Harry asked.

Neville looked up at the ceiling trying to think of a way to explain it. “Things have been pretty horrible this year.”

“Of course they have with that bloody bat in charge,” George commented.

Harry and Hermione sent him a silent glare, George only shrugged.

“Snape hasn’t been the worst of it,” Neville protested. “Everyone was really surprised when all we got was detention with Hagrid for trying to steal the Sword of Gryffindor. Seamus was certain the Carrows would put us under the Cruciatus Curse for that one.”

Hermione gasped. “That’s illegal.”

“Not anymore,” Neville said casually. “They cursed Lavender with it last week when she wouldn’t use it on a first-year that was caught out after hours.” Changing the subject, he continued, “We should hurry the others will be waiting for us.”

“Others,” Harry asked.

“Of course,” Neville said with a smile that displayed all of his missing teeth.

“Who’s everyone?” George asked.

“How are we supposed to get there?” Fred asked.

“We’ll go back up the tunnel to the school. That’s where everyone’s been waiting,” Neville said ignoring George’s question. The beaten teen turned to the old man still sitting in his seat. “There will be a few people coming soon. You’ll let them in won’t you Abe?”

Harry noted there was a new air of confidence in his friend. He stood taller and prouder than Harry had ever seen him before. He had to wonder what Mrs. Longbottom would have to say about this when she saw him next.

“This isn’t a bloody train station boy,” the bartender grumbled but made no further objection.

Neville climbed back up behind the painting with a complete lack of grace. Harry gave Luna a boost so she could reach Neville’s outstretched hand. They repeated the process with Hermione and the twins. Fred and George laid down side-by-side to grab Harry and pull him into the tunnel.

“What have you been waiting for,” Harry finally asked as they walked down the low-ceilinged tunnel.

“You, of course,” even standing behind him Harry could hear the smile in the other boy’s voice.

“Why have you been waiting for me,” Harry asked slightly confused.

“We knew you would come back,” Neville insisted. “We knew you were going to help us get rid of the Death Eaters, Snape and all.”

Harry shook his head. “Neville,” he sighed, “I wish we were.”

Neville stopped walking and demanded, “Then why are you back?”

“There’s a Horcrux in the school. The last one, other than Nagini,” Harry told him flatly.

In the dim light, Harry could see the color drained from the bruised visage of boy’s face. “Are you sure,” Neville pleaded that it was not true.

“Certain,” Harry confirmed.

“Does he know,” Neville asked.

“Probably,” Harry confirmed. “I know he’s checked on the others. He hasn’t come to the school that I know about.”

“We would have heard about that,” Neville agreed. “Do you have any idea where the Horcrux is?”

“It was where all things are hidden,” Luna answered for them.

“It’s in the Room of Requirements,” Neville asked.

Luna smiled at him.

“That’s what the bloody Hell she’s meant this whole time? How in the name of Merlin did we not figure that out?” An exasperated Fred demanded of no one in particular.

Harry fought back a snort of amusement, “Of course, it was. Why didn’t you just say that?” Harry asked her softly.

“You need to listen to what is being said Harry Potter, not just what you wish to hear,” Luna advised sagely.

Harry frowned at the comment. He wasn’t sure what she meant by that. He had a feeling there was something he was missing.

The tunnel climbed steeply upward as it drew near the end. This end, like the last, was covered by a portrait, the one Dumbledore had bequeathed to Luna in his will.

“Thank you for all of your help,” Luna told Ariana when they exited. Ariana gave her a mischievous smile and began to spin once more.

Harry was looking around the room to which they had left. There were banners decorating the room from three of the four Hogwarts houses, only Slytherin was missing. There were a large number of bunk beds scattered throughout the room. There were mismatched chairs, tables, and robes in every color of the rainbow. It seemed like half the students fourth year and above were hiding in the room.

“What is all this,” Harry asked gob smacked.

“Welcome to Dumbledore’s Army,” Ginny said coming to the front of the crowd. “We thought about changing the name but it didn’t seem right with him around.” She pointed to red and gold bird the size of a swan that sat on a perch next to a large grey cactus that Harry recognized to be Neville’s Mimbulus Mimbletonia.

“Is that Fawkes,” Hermione asked shocked.

The familiar had not been seen since the previous headmaster’s funeral. Neville nodded.

“When did he show up,” Harry asked walking over to say hello to the phoenix.

“A couple of weeks ago, not long after I moved in here,” Neville said coming to stand with Harry.

“You’ve been living here for weeks,” Fred said looking around. “Why?”

Neville pointed at his face. “It wasn’t safe for me anymore. I guess I pushed the limits a bit too far. My blood status wasn’t enough for the trouble I was causing.”

“Why would Fawkes come to you,” Hermione questioned.

“I’m not sure,” Neville said with a small sigh.

“Dumbledore said he came to me in the Chamber of Secrets because I displayed an act of incredible loyalty to Dumbledore,” Harry said petting the hand over the bird’s red and gold plumage.

Neville shrugged, “Maybe that was it.”

“I’m sure it was,” Ginny agreed. “The last thing he did before went into hiding in here was to paint in an irremovable paint, “Long Live Albus Dumbledore, Greatest Headmaster Ever to Live.”

“Excellent,” Fred and George said together.

“We’re not here to talk about me though,” Neville said.

Harry couldn’t help but notice how the boy deflected the attention away from himself once again. Even with the new-found confidence, Neville did not like being the center of attention and seemed to think less of himself than he deserved. Harry cursed Mrs. Longbottom’s overbearing nature once again.

“Why are you here,” Seamus demanded.

“Are we going to throw out the great bat?” Dean asked.

“No,” Harry said. “We’re here looking for something, something that belongs to You-Know- Who. We need to find it.”

“Do you have any idea where it is,” Ginny asked.

“Here,” Harry said motioning to the room.

“Here,” Lavender said confused.

“He hid it in the Room of Requirements ages ago, back when he was a student or maybe when he came to try and get the Defense Against the Dark Arts job,” Harry explained.

“We’ll have to leave it so you can search it,” Parvati complained.

“I know,” Harry agreed.

“You won’t,” Luna protested.

“Luna,” Hermione chided. “We can’t have the room show us the place where he hid the diadem if there are people still in the room.”

“It’s not there,” Luna said airily.

“What do you mean it’s not there,” demanded George. “You kept saying it’s in the place where all things were hidden. That’s the bloody Room of Requirements. So, if it's not here, where the bloody Hell are we supposed to go.”

Harry was frowning at his girlfriend. “It was in the room but it’s not anymore.”

Luna smiled at him.

“Where do we go?” Harry asked.

The room was filled with the magically enhanced voice of the Potions Master turned headmaster. “All students and staff will report to the Great Hall immediately.”

“What do you think that is all about,” Fred asked.

“He must know we’re here,” Hermione concluded.

“What and he thinks Harry’s just going to walk into the Great Hall like a good boy so You-Know-Who can murder him where he stands?” George asked.

“If I’m here it won’t be long before You-Know-Who comes. There is going to be a fight. The teachers will want to get the students out of the castle.” Harry told him.

“You think Snape will let them leave,” Neville asked.

“Snape wouldn’t want anyone to get hurt that doesn’t have to,” Harry insisted.

Seamus made a sound of disagreement. “The slimy git has been letting us take beatings all year long.”

“He can’t look like he isn’t a Death Eater,” Hermione argued.

“Whatever,” grumbled Ron. “What do you want us to do?”

“We need time to get to where the object is hidden,” Harry said. “We need as many people as we can to come and help us fight.”

“We’re already on that,” Neville informed Harry.

Harry’s eyebrow’s shot into his hairline in surprise.

“Fawkes let us know the minute you were in the village,” Neville said with a smile. “We put out the word on Potterwatch and with these,” he held up his old DA coin. “We’ve been able to use them to communicate with the other members of the DA who’ve left school.”

As if on time the portrait of Ariana Dumbledore swung open once again, Mrs. Weasley followed by Charlie and Percy. Bill and Fleur were only moments behind her. Then there was every person Harry had ever played with on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Krum landed awkwardly on the floor as he stumbled out of the tunnel.

“Remus,” Harry said smiling at the werewolf. The man pulled Harry into a hug.

“Harry,” Dean asked.

“We’ll need to buy some time so we can find,” Harry started to say, but Luna interjected, “I know exactly where it is Harry Potter.” Harry corrected himself, “So we can get to the thing and destroy it.”

More people had come through the painting, Cho Chang, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Mrs. Longbottom (“Gran,” Neville exclaimed excitedly. “You look dreadful dear,” Mrs. Longbottom observed as she placed a liver-spotted hand to the boy’s bruised face), and Aberforth.

“Wotcher,” Tonks greeted the teen as she stepped out from behind her husband.

“Dora,” Remus protested, “You can’t be here.”

“I’m an Auror, Remus. This is my job,” Tonks snapped at her husband.

“No, you are a mother. Someone needs to be there for Teddy,” Remus complained.

“You can go back,” Tonks offered. “I am staying to fight.” She crossed her arms over her chest stubbornly.

“Dora,” Remus pleaded. “He needs his mother.”

“And his father,” Harry added. “You both should go back.”

Remus shook his head, “He doesn’t need me. His life would be easier if I were not there to embarrass him.”

“Stop talking rubbish again,” Fred said. “Either you both go back home or you both fight, which ever you like, just stop being such a noble arse, Remus. Any kid should count themselves lucky to call you dad, furry little problem or no.”

The pink haired Auror chuckled at this. The frown across her husband’s brow lightened slightly, if only for a moment.

“Now let’s get out there and start causing a distraction, buy Harry and the lot the time they need,” George said with a grin.

Neville stood at the door of the Room of Requirements, the Marauders’ Map in hand, watching for any unwanted teachers or students in the area. Like at the end of a DA meeting he was letting out a few people at a time so they could blend in with the crowds of students making their way to the Great Hall. Those who were too young to fight would leave with the other students, the rest would join the teachers in their defense of the school.

“Harry,” Hermione said getting the boy’s attention as he instructed Seamus and Dean on how they could be of use at the bridge.

“We’ll do it, Harry. Don’t you worry,” Seamus promised.

“I know you can,” Harry said with a smile.

“We know where we have to go,” Hermione informed him.

“Excellent,” Harry said looking expectantly at Hermione. When she didn’t speak, Harry said, “Well?”

“The Ravenclaw common room,” Luna answered.

“A piece of Voldemort’s soul is in the Ravenclaw common room?” Harry repeated, surprised.

“It wasn’t always there,” Hermione reminded him.

“You moved it,” Harry asked Luna.

“We’ve already established that,” Hermione pointed out.

“I thought Helena might be able to move on if she were to make amends for taking her mother’s diadem,” Luna said.

“Of course,” Harry agreed uncertainly.

“Where do you want us,” Fred asked Harry as he joined the trio by the door.

They were the last five people in the Room of Requirements. The others all heading for positions to prepare for battle or to join the rest of the student body if they were too young to fight.

“You’ll go to the Great Hall, help the professors with the younger students unless McGonagall wants you elsewhere.”

The twins nodded in unison and disappeared out the door. Harry ran with the girls down the hall and three flights of stairs, encountering no one.

“Potter,” came a yell from above.

Harry turned to see Draco Malfoy half a flight above him. Harry silently cursed the boy’s appearance. The captured wand from Rodolphus Lestrange was in Harry’s hand, ready for a fight. Draco cast the first spell at the three of them. Harry fired back as Luna and Hermione ducked into one of the secret passageways.

“Go,” Harry urged the girls as he ducked another spell from Draco. “Go,” he repeated.

“We’ll meet you in our bathroom,” Hermione yelled back at him as she took Luna’s hand to run.

Harry hissed in pain as a jinx hit his shoulder. “Expelliarmus!” he cried in frustration.

Draco’s hawthorn wand flew out of his slender fingers. Harry let it fall to his feet before he retrieved it and stuck it in his belt. You couldn’t have too many wands on a day like today.

“Our bathroom,” Harry muttered to himself as he left Draco to fade, defenseless into the fighting. What in the world could Hermione possibly mean? Harry continued downstairs. He stopped on the second floor, walking down the hall to the girls’ bathroom. This was where they had spent so much time during their second year. Could she have meant this one?

“What are you doing here?” Moaning Myrtle whined as Harry pushed open the door.

“I don’t know,” Harry admitted.

“They said You-Know-Who wants to kill you,” Myrtle informed Harry.

“He does,” Harry confirmed.

“If you die, you can’t stay here,” Myrtle told him.

“Oh,” Harry said slightly surprised, even though he was glad the girl didn’t want him to spend the rest of his life haunting the girls’ lavatory. His attack on Draco last year must have left a lasting impact.

“They’re preparing for a battle, why are you here,” Myrtle asked again.

“The same reason we had to come here at the end of our second year,” Hermione answered for him as she and Luna entered the bathroom.

“End of our second year, the Chamber of Secrets,” Harry concluded. “You want me to go back to the Chamber?”

“Harry Potter, you are very dense sometimes,” Luna said with a great deal of affection.

“The Sword of Gryffindor absorbed the venom of the basilisk you killed in the Chamber. We can go down and destroy the last Horcrux,” Hermione explained.

“What about Nagini,” Harry asked.

“We can bring back some fangs with us,” Luna said with airy confidence. “We haven’t much time, you need to open the Chamber for us.”

Harry knelt down next to the sink across from Moaning Myrtle’s stall. He stared at the tiny snake carved into the pipe picturing it to be real as he hissed, “Open up”. It took several tries before it worked. The sinks moved back to reveal the cavernous entrance to the Chamber of Secrets. He had no desire to return, but it was the only chance he could see for them to destroy the Horcrux in hand and in turn, Voldemort.

“I’ll go first,” Hermione volunteered, making Harry breathe a sigh of relief.

Hermione jumped down with only a moment’s hesitation. Luna jumped down as soon as the darkness of the tunnel swallowed Hermione. Harry counted to thirty before plunging into the blackness again. His stomach turned as he landed on the pile of bones. Luna held out a hand to help him to his feet. Harry took it gratefully. He wound his fingers through hers as they walked further into the dark.

“It’s really scary down here,” Hermione observed.

“I know,” Harry agreed, “and this is without the mad snake on the loose.”

Luna squeezed his hand in reassurance. They stopped at the ornate door that led to the Chamber itself until Harry could repeat the set of hissed instructions. The snake on the door slithered back from the lock like real snakes woken to open the door. The door swung back to reveal the intimidating stone chamber.

“Wow,” Hermione breathed.

Harry looked at her in surprise.

“It’s impressive,” Hermione said defensively.

“It is,” Luna agreed.

“You’re both mad,” Harry muttered, mostly to himself.

The girls stopped a few feet away from the sixty-foot skeleton. Harry let go of Luna’s hand and continued to the head. He could see the hole in the skull the sword made when he stabbed it with the Sword of Gryffindor. He tugged on a large fang at the front until it came loose.

“Come here Luna,” Harry called over.

Luna silently came to stand next to Harry. He handed her the fang which she took with no hesitation. The girl didn’t have the diadem. Harry looked back to Hermione. She threw it to him, with the reflexes perfected on the Quidditch pitch, he caught the silver tiara. He set it on the ground before her.

“You can do this,” Harry told her.

“I know Harry Potter,” Luna said matter-of-factly.

Harry fought back a laugh. Luna raised the fang and stabbed the jewel at the center of the diadem. The murky water washed over the three as the piece of Voldemort’s soul died.

“Two more to go,” Hermione observed as she placed more fangs into her beaded bag.

“Two,” Harry repeated slightly confused, “There’s only Nagini left I thought.”

“Nagini and Voldemort,” Hermione clarified.

“Then that means three,” Harry corrected in his mind.

The girls still didn’t know. He couldn’t tell them now. They would know soon enough. He looked around the dark chamber.

“How are we going to get out of here?” He asked.

“How did you the last time,” Luna inquired. Harry had never told about his adventure in the chamber in any great detail.

“Fawkes stuck around after he dropped off the Sorting Hat. He healed my arm from the fang that went through it and then flew us all back up to Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom. I don’t think he’s coming to help us this time.”

“No,” Hermione said, her brow was furrowed in thought. “I could levitate us up.”

Harry shook his head, “I’ve got a better idea. Kreacher!”

The old house elf appeared before in front of Harry. The fake Horcrux, Regulus’ necklace hung proudly around his wrinkled neck.

“Master Harry is calling Kreacher,” the elf said with a small bow. His low croaky voice echoed in the empty rock cavern.

“We need your help, Kreacher,” Harry explained. “Can you take us back up to the castle?”

“Of course, Master Harry,” Kreacher confirmed. “Where is Master and his friends needing to go?”

“Back to Myrtle’s bathroom is fine,” Harry instructed. “Take Hermione and Luna first.”

“Harry,” Hermione complained.

“I’ll be there in a minute,” Harry insisted.

The elf grabbed hold of both girls and disappeared with a creak before Hermione could noise another objection. Kreacher was back in less than a minute. Harry took his knobby hand, gratefully, thankful to leave the stone chamber for the last time.

The first thing Harry noticed was the bathroom was brighter when he arrived back.

“What’s that doing here?” Hermione demanded.

Before them stood a glowing silver doe. Harry frowned.

As if to answer their question she began to speak in the rich voice of their former Potions Master. “Potter, the Dark Lord has possession of the Death Stick. It will not work for him.” With that, she vanished.

“Of course, it won’t work for him,” Harry grumbled. “It’s like he thinks I’m an idiot or something.”

“Why won’t it,” Hermione asked.

“We need to get to the Great Hall,” Harry said ignoring the question.

“Why the Great Hall,” Hermione asked.

“I need to talk to Professor Snape,” Harry said answering her question this time.

“You are worried about him,” Luna observed.

Harry nodded. “I have a bad feeling about tonight. I need to warn him.”

“Let’s go,” encouraged Luna.

“One minute,” Harry said looking back to Kreacher. “What are the house elves doing?” Harry asked.

“We is just in the kitchen,” Kreacher said looking up puzzled at Harry.

“Come and join the fight. The castle needs everyone possible to help,” Harry told him.

“Is that an order, Master Harry,” Kreacher asked.

Harry shook his head. “It’s a request. It’s up to you and all the other house elves if you want to fight. It’s your choice.”

The battle for the school must have started while they were down in the Chamber of Secrets. The halls were filled with the sounds of curses, explosions, and screams of both children and adults. Harry watched as Professor McGonagall chased a pair of Death Eaters with a herd of desks. The Death Eaters were knocked down the stairs.

“Professor,” Harry called to the Deputy Headmistress.

“What is it, Potter,” McGonagall demanded. Her hair normally arranged into a tight bun was falling down over her shoulders. Her square-rimmed glasses were knocked askew and a cut was on her forehead.

“Where’s Professor Snape,” Harry asked.

“Severus,” McGonagall asked in surprise. “He’s answered the call of his master.”

“Voldemort?” Harry said in puzzlement.

“Yes Potter,” McGonagall said. “He was called, leaving the castle without a leader.”

“It has a leader,” Harry protested, “you.”

“Voldemort has given us an hour to present you to him, Potter.”

“And if I don’t come,” Harry asked curiously.

“He will attack the school and all those here,” McGonagall answered.

“What do you call this,” Harry asked.

“A warm up,” she said with a faint smile.

“Are you sure he’s on our side,” Seamus yelled as they spotted Professor Snape battling members of the Order of the Phoenix.


From their location on the stairs, they could see the front doors. Harry watched as the man in question flung a hex in the direction of Professor Flitwick that split and hit both of the Carrows knocking them from their feet. Harry wanted to yell back that he was but another hex nearly hit him. He needed to get closer to the Potions Master. He needed to know his master’s plan. Voldemort would kill him to become the master of the Elder Wand, Harry was certain of it.

Harry dodged another hex from Yaxley this time. The teachers were fighting Death Eaters in the corridors of the school. Snape was leading them in a retreat out of the castle much like he had done the year before. McGonagall shot a spell at the current head master. He ducked at a suit of armor behind him exploded. Snape turned and ran into the night. Harry watched him go across the grounds. He had an idea where he might be headed, why the man would choose to go to the Shrieking Shack at this moment Harry didn’t understand. Harry made to follow.

“Harry,” Hermione called after him, “Where are you going?”

“I have to warn him,” Harry yelled back.

Hermione and Luna followed the boy across the grounds. Snape was too far ahead of them. It was as if he was flying across the grounds. Harry rejected the idea. Nobody could fly without a broom. The man must have used a spell to pause the flailing branches because when Harry reached the tree he did not see one. He cursed the delay was he summoned a branch from the forest long enough to poke the knot and not be hit by any of the limbs.

The short pause was enough time for girls to catch up with Harry. The three ran up down the tunnel as fast as they possibly could in the low tunnel. They did not hear the sound of footsteps in front of them.

Harry did his best to avoid making any sound as he climbed the stairs up to the house above them. The door in the floor was open as it had been when they left the building three years before the night Harry met his godfather for the first time. There were new footprints in the thick dust of the floor showing where Snape had gone.

There was a faint light coming from down the hallway, enough to illuminate two figures in the room in it. Harry crept up the stairs to see better.

“The Cloak,” Hermione urged quietly.

Harry struggled to cover himself in case the two were to notice his head popping out of the floor in the hallway.

“Master,” Snape said, “their resistance is crumbling the school will soon be -”

“- and it is doing so without your help Severus,” Voldemort said in his high clear voice. “Skilled wizard though you are, Severus, I do not think you will make the difference. We are almost there...almost.”

“Let me find the boy. Let me bring you, Potter. I know I can find him, my Lord. Please,” Snape begged his master.

“I have a problem, Severus,” Voldemort softly said, his voice no louder than a whisper, but could be perfectly heard over the sounds of the distant battle.

“My Lord,” said Snape.

“Do you know why I have called you back from the battle?” Voldemort asked Nagini floated behind him in an enchanted cage.

“No, my Lord, but I beg you will let me return. Let me find Potter.” Snape’s eyes fixed on the coiling snake.

Voldemort held the Elder Wand in his long-fingered hands, the bone white flesh reflecting in the moonlight. “You sound like Lucius. Neither of you understands Potter as I do. He does not need finding. Potter will come to me. I know his weakness, you see, his great flaw. He will hate watching the others struck down around him, knowing that it is for him that it happens. He will come.”

Snape protest, “But my Lord, he might be killed accidentally by one other than yourself-”

“My instructions to my Death Eaters have been perfectly clear. Capture Potter. Kill his friends - the more, the better but do not kill him.” Harry could feel Voldemort’s anger starting to boil as pain flared in his scar.

“My Lord knows I seek only to serve him. Potter is a reckless fool. He will put his life in danger if he thinks he can save his friends. The boy trusts me. Let me go and find him, my Lord.”

“So, you can continue your betrayal?” Voldemort hissed.

“My Lord,” Snape stammered, Harry stopped breathing, both had their eyes fixed on the snake as it coiled and uncoiled in its enchanted cage.

“You have been very valuable to be me. Very valuable. But perhaps not as much as you once were or could have been.” Voldemort wove the Elder Wand through his long, pale fingers.

“I don’t understand, my Lord,” Snape said, his head dipped forward, hiding his face behind the curtain of long, greasy, black hair.

“You were at Hogwarts for the last eighteen years, Severus. You saw Potter every day for the last six years,” Voldemort said twisting the wand in his fingers again.

“He was protected, my Lord, by Dumbledore. There was no way I could harm the boy, or bring him to you.” Snape said, his face still pointed at the ground.

“Is that the only reason, Severus,” Voldemort’s voice was harsher that it had been. A hand flew up to cover Harry’s scar as Voldemort’s annoyance flared once again.

“Of course, my Lord,” Snape said his dark eyes shooting up to look into the death-mask face of the wizard that stood before him.

“I don’t believe you, Severus,” Voldemort said, “Crucio.”

Snape collapsed to the ground, twitching as his body was racked with pain. Harry held his breath. He couldn’t just sit here watching Snape be tortured.

“No Harry,” Hermione ordered, grabbed the ankle that was not covered by the Invisibility Cloak. “We can’t, not yet.”

Harry gave her an invisible nod, but stopped moving, his eyes locked on the prone form of the man before him.

“Even traitors have their uses, Severus,” Voldemort said pacing around. “You killed Dumbledore, the last master of the Elder Wand. With your death, the wand will pass its power to me. I will finally be able to kill Harry Potter.”

The wizard paced around the crumpled form of his once loyal servant. He canceled the spell that encased his familiar. “Kill,” he hissed that the snake. Voldemort watched as Nagini struck Snape in the neck. His servant, no longer useful as a spy, his last use was to make his master the master of the Elder Wand. Voldemort flew out the window with the snake once more around his neck leaving Snape to his fate. The Potion Master collapsed his dark eyes spotting the three teens in the corner of the room. They stood silent and frozen.

Harry watched in horror as the blood spurted from Snape’s neck. The man was dead or would be soon. There was no way he would be able to survive such an attack. He hadn’t had to die. It wasn’t even his damn wand.

Harry couldn’t watch the man take his last few breaths. Harry turned and ran. He could hear Hermione and Luna calling him but he couldn’t understand the words. He didn’t stop running until he reached the Great Hall.

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

The room was nothing like Harry had ever seen it before. It was filled with the dead, the dying, and the injured. He looked down into the faces of those who would never move again. Colin Creevy, the boy was too young to be here, he must have snuck back with some of the older students who reconsidered. The young Gryffindor looked like a giant next to Dobby. Harry wasn’t surprised the house elf had joined the fight. He wondered who had taken down the brave little elf. Harry knelt down and shut Dobby’s unseeing green eyes. Cho Chang was there a few bodies away, Dean next to Seamus three down from Cho. There were more Harry didn’t recognize. He stopped as he approached the end of the row.

Mrs. Weasley was sobbing hysterically. There was a ginger head held in her lap. Harry could not determine which of the boys it was through the crowd of remaining Weasleys.

“It’s Ron,” Katie Bell informed Harry.

“Ron,” Harry repeated. He felt guilty for the instant of relief he felt at the news. He counted the redheads that were gathered a few feet away. “Who’s missing?”

“Fred,” the former Gryffindor Chaser answered. “The last time anyone saw him he was fighting Crabbe Sr. near the North Tower.”

Harry felt his breath freeze in his chest. Part of the North Tower had collapsed.

“They’re digging people out of there now, but there’s no sign of Fred yet,” Katie said, confirming Harry’s worst fears.

“Thanks,” Harry said numbly. He moved on. Many of the students were hurt, their friends trying to help them. He saw a woman with mousy brown hair with a man’s bloody head resting in her lap. It was Remus, the woman must have been Tonks.

The last of the Marauders was gone. He had just become a father. Teddy would never get to know what a wonderful father he had.

The room was filled with the sound of Voldemort’s cold, clear voice. It was as if the castle itself was speaking. “You have fought bravely. You are to be commended for your efforts. The loss of any magical life is a waste. In respect, I will call my Death Eaters back for you to collect your dead. Now, I speak directly to Harry Potter. Your friends are dying for you, Harry Potter. I give you one hour to present yourself to me. No more need die, Potter. One hour in the Forbidden Forest.”

Harry could feel the eyes on him. He refused to meet any of them. He couldn’t stand to see the looks of pain or worse, hope. Harry continued his way down the rows of the dead. Harry looked around the gathering in the Great Hall. He didn’t see Hermione anywhere. Luna was with her father, helping him tend to an injured Hufflepuff girl who looked too young to be there. She must have snuck back with Colin Creevey. Neville sat on the floor near the door, his knees drawn up to his chin. Even from a distance, Harry could see the boy’s form was racked with sobs. Harry sank down next to his friend, the closest thing he had ever had to a brother. Mrs. Longbottom’s body to the boy’s other side.

“She was… She stopped Lestrange from hexing me,” Neville explained whipping the tears away from the back of his hand.

Harry nodded mutely. Of course, the woman would have given up her life freely to protect her grandson, the only family she had left. Harry looked at the old woman. Her stern features no more relaxed in death.

“Neville,” Harry said.

Neville sniffed and looked up from his grandmother’s face to Harry.

“Neville,” Harry repeated. “I have to go. I have to put an end to this.”

Neville shook his head in confusion, “Go where?”

“I have to go and meet Voldemort in the woods,” Harry said.

Neville flinched at the sound of the name but said nothing. Harry pushed a lock of hair from his face trying to gather his wits for what he needed to ask next.

“I have to ask you to do something,” Harry said even more seriously.

Neville wiped another batch of tears away from his dirty face. “Anything,” he agreed instantly.

Harry shook his head. “It won’t be that easy.”

Neville puffed up his chest. “I can do it,” he insisted.

Harry nodded, “I wouldn’t ask you if I didn’t think you couldn’t.” He gave the other boy a small smile. The expression was so out of place it would have been less bizarre to think of Aunt Petunia attending a Weird Sisters’ concert. Neville nodded in return.

“It’s two things,” Harry said his expression stony once more. “The first will probably be the harder of the two. Everything is depending on you to do this. We’ll never be free of Voldemort if you fail.”

“Don’t say that,” Neville begged. “You’re the one of the prophecy. I was only ever the spare.”

Harry shook his head. “You were so much more than that, Neville. It was you that led them here. If it weren’t for you the school would have fallen a long time ago.” Harry took a deep breath. “It’s the snake. We’re going to have to kill it. It’s the last of the Horcruxes. If the snake doesn’t die, no matter we do Voldemort will not be able to die. Do whatever you have to,” Harry instructed.

Neville nodded. When the other boy didn’t continue, he asked. “What’s the other thing?”

“Huh?” Harry replied distractedly.

“The other thing,” Neville repeated. “You said there were two things that you had to ask me.”

Harry looked around the room, Hermione was not there yet. Harry fought back a shudder at the thought of what might have occurred to separate the girls.

“Harry,” Neville said softly.

The green-eyed boy looked back to Neville.

“What was the other thing,” Neville asked again.

“You’ll look after them all for me, won’t you? The Weasleys, Tonks, and Luna...especially Luna.” Harry requested.

Neville frowned, “Where are you going to be?”

Harry shook his head, “Not here. You’ll make sure they’re all okay? You’ll tell Teddy that I’m sorry I’m leaving him without a godfather?”

“Of course,” Neville agreed. He took a deep breath. “Do you want someone to come with you?”

Harry shook his head. It was starting to feel like that’s all he did.

“Are you sure you want to be alone?” Neville asked.

“I won’t be alone,” Harry said standing.

“Thank you, Harry,” Neville said looking up to the other boy now.

“Thank you,” Harry replied. He walked out of front doors of the school for the last time. One of the large wooden doors hung off its hinges leaving the door open. He continued across the grounds, stopping at the edge of the lake.

Harry pulled the open the mokeskin sack from around his neck and pulled out the golden snitch. He placed the tiny gold ball to his lips once more. “I’m about to die,” he whispered to it. The ball split in half, to show the cracked stone Harry had seen once before in the ring that had led to Albus Dumbledore’s death.

Harry wasn’t sure what to expect as turned over the small black stone three times in his palm. He knew in an instant that it worked. There were the sounds of bodies moving over the forest floor. He looked up to see familiar faces all wearing the same expression, a loving smile.

James was right beside Harry. They two were the same height now. His father still wore the clothes he died in, his glasses askew and hair messily ruffled.

Behind James stood Sirius. The man before him was younger and more at ease than the one Harry had ever known. He wore a Muggle motorcycle jacket, his hands shoved deep into a tight pair of jeans. There was an ease in his movements that Azkaban must have robbed from him.

Mr. Weasley appeared next to Harry on his left. Harry was surprised to see the man, as he took off his horn-rimmed glasses to clean a speck of dirt from the lenses. The man gave Harry a reassuring smile. He was better dressed than the boy had ever seen him in life.

The last to appear was Lily. “Mum,” Harry couldn’t stop himself whispering.

Harry continued to look around as if expecting someone else to make an appearance.

“We are all here,” James informed his son.

Harry did his best not to look disappointed at this statement. Why wouldn’t he have come? Was Professor Snape mad at him? Did he feel Harry was responsible for his death?

“My brave boy,” Lily said as raised a hand to his check but did not touch it. Her words drew Harry back to those who stood around him.

“You’ve done so well,” James said proudly.

“We’re proud of you,” Sirius told him.

Harry shook his head looking from one face to the other, “I didn’t want you to die. Any of you,” Harry choked back unshed tears. “You died to protect me. You shouldn’t have had to.”

“We did so willingly,” James said standing in front of his son.

Harry looked at Mr. Weasley, “You’re family has lost so much already. You, Ron, maybe Fred... they shouldn’t have to lose so much because of me. Mrs. Weasley… she’s been so...”

“Harry,” Mr. Weasley chided, “You didn’t ask us to fight. We volunteered. We knew the risk we were taking. Molly misses us and always will. Even so, she would not have asked us not to do our part.”

“Does it hurt,” Harry was embarrassed to ask but the question was out of his mouth before he realized he had spoken.

“It’s easier and faster than falling asleep,” Sirius answered with a cockeyed grin.

“It’s almost over,” Mr. Weasley reassured. “It will be fast. He wants it to be over.”

Harry nodded, looking to his mother. “You’ll stay with me?”

“Until the very end,” Lily insisted.

“They won’t see you?” Harry asked.

“We’re a part of you,” James explained.

Harry rubbed away the tears coming out from under his glasses. He stared into the woods. He knew that none of them would force him to go. It was up to him to choose. He pulled the Invisibility Cloak out one last time. Pulling it over himself and walking into the woods. He could hear the sounds of James, Lily, Sirius, and Mr. Weasley walking beside him. The Dementors had no effect on him, the presence of his companions acting like that of a Patronus.

Harry had no idea where he was to go in the woods. He stumbled upon two Death Eaters that were on watch.

“Did you hear something?” The first asked. “Do you think it’s Potter?”

“He has an Invisibility Cloak,” the second said in a non-answer. Both looked around unsuccessfully for the anticipated teenage. When they saw and hear nothing more they turned back into the woods.

“He said the boy would come,” the first Death Eater observed.

His companion shrugged, “The hour is up. Let’s go see what the master wants us to do.”

Harry followed silently behind the two. Deeper and deeper they moved into the forest. The woods filled with an eerie silence. Harry was comforted with the presence of his companions giving him the courage to keep going.

They arrived in a clearing that had once been the home of Aragog and his descendants. The webs still clung to the trees. A huge fire burned in the center of the clearing the only source of light in the depth of the forest. Death Eaters stood around it, some still in their masks and robes, others with their faces exposed.

A sound of rustling drew Harry’s attention to the far side of the circle. Hagrid was chained at the wrist to two near by trees. His face was bloodied from the battle.

“I thought he would come,” Voldemort said looking around the clearing.

The Resurrection Stone fell from Harry’s hand as he shoved the Cloak of Invisibility under his robes. His companions fading into the pre-dawn. He didn’t worry. He would see them again soon.

“I thought he would come,” Voldemort said once again. “I must have made a mistake.”

“You didn’t,” Harry said stepping out of the woods.

“What are yeh doin’ Harry,” Hagrid demanded.

Harry ignored the half-giant as he stepped further into the clearing. He his hands were empty, palms out. “I’m ready.”

Harry saw Voldemort’s mouth move and a flash of bright green light and everything went black...

 


~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 


Harry woke up in pure white fog. He realized he was naked and clean. He wished he had clothes. It was if the thought of clothes created them as a freshly laundered outfit appeared next to him. He pulled on the pair of jeans and shirt. Now dressed he felt comfortable to explore his odd surroundings.

The place was filled with an almost blinding white light. There were benches placed every so many feet apart. Harry could hear something whimpering under one of the distant benches.

“Hello my dear boy,” a voice said behind Harry.

Harry turned to see Dumbledore standing behind him.

“Sir,” Harry greeted. “Where are we,” the teenager asked.

“I was about to ask you the same question,” Dumbledore said with a smile. “This is, as they say, your show.”

Harry looked around again. “It’s sort of like King’s Cross but clean… and no trains.”

“Really,” Dumbledore said looking at the surrounding whiteness. The man motioned for the boy to take a seat, “That maybe as an appropriate as any.”

“What do you mean, sir,” Harry asked.

“You are at a crossing,” Dumbledore explained.

Harry frowned, “I’m not dead?”

“Not exactly,” Dumbledore agreed.

There was a cry again from a broken thing, some ways away. Harry turned to look for the source. “What was that?”

“It is beyond our help, my boy,” Dumbledore said, “pay it no mind.”

Harry nodded. “Sir,” Harry said nervously.

“Yes child,” Dumbledore said encouraging Harry to speak.

“Why did you make it so hard? Everything could have gone so much easier if you hadn’t left us with nothing but riddles.” Harry complained.

“I was hoping to slow you down,” Dumbledore admitted. “I didn’t want you rushing into it before you were ready. I thought including Miss Granger would stop you doing anything too rash. I did not expect Mr. Longbottom to stay behind. He too would have been a good influence on your pacing.”

“Believe it or not, I didn’t want to die before I had to,” Harry said with a shake of his head.

“I did not know that Severus had informed that you would have to die,” Dumbledore said with a note of disapproval.

Harry scoffed. “It’s a good thing he did. If he hadn’t I don’t know if I would have known to come into the forest.”

“You would have, Harry. You would have,” Dumbledore insisted.

“Would I? How was I supposed to know I was a bloody Horcrux?” Harry demanded. “You didn’t tell me. We knew there were supposed to be seven pieces of Voldemort’s soul. There weren't though, there were eight when you count me.”

“I’m sorry my boy,” Dumbledore said tears coming to his tired blue eyes. “You are right I should have told you. The question was when. When you were eleven, no, that’s far too young for something like that. When you were twelve you face Voldemort a second time and brought to my attention my worst fears, that were pieces of his soul out there keeping him tied to this world. Then at thirteen, you were reunited with your godfather. I could not in good conscience destroy the happiness that you were discovering being away from your family’s care. At fourteen, you had your blood taken and were forced to watch Voldemort return to a body. Your own blood used to regenerate your enemy. At fifteen you lost the closest thing you ever had to a father,” Dumbledore said sadly.

“No,” Harry said with a shake of his head. “I don’t think that’s right.”

Dumbledore looked at Harry over the tops of his half-moon glasses.

“I loved Sirius,” Harry said with a pleading note in his voice. “I cared for him greatly. It’s just he wasn’t a dad. He was too reckless. He was more concerned about what he wanted to do. He didn’t think about what I might need.”

“You think there was another that did that for you,” Dumbledore asked slightly surprised.

Harry nodded. “He may not have shown it in the same way. Still, he was always there for me when I needed him, even when I didn’t know I did.”

“You are referring to Severus,” Dumbledore realized.

Harry nodded. “I wish I got a chance to tell him so.”

“He knew, Harry, he knew,” Dumbledore reassured.

“How do you know,” Harry asked. There were tears in the corners of his eyes.

“Harry, you were the closest thing Severus had to a son,” Dumbledore said, the old man’s eyes damp once more. “He knew.”

Harry shook his head, “I never listened. I never said how much I appreciated how he looked after me.”

“He was used to that sort of treatment. We often take advantage of those who are with us. It is only after that we recognize their loss. A parent knows this and does what they do out of love nonetheless.”

“Some dads love their kids more than others,” Harry said to his shoes.

“Harry,” Dumbledore said looking at the boy. “Severus put his life on the line every single day to keep you safe. He may never have said the words, but he cared for you.”

“I know,” Harry said kicking out at the air under the bench.

The creature under the distant bench made another pitiful cry.

Harry looked back to it. “You said this is a crossing, does that mean I can go back?”

“That is up to you, my dear boy,” Dumbledore confirmed.

“If I didn’t want to go back? What would happen then?” Harry asked.

“I think you could board one of these trains if you so desired,” Dumbledore said looking at the empty station.

“Where would it take me,” Harry asked. He could hear the sound of a distant train whistle.

“On,” Dumbledore answered cryptically.

“And if I go back, do you think I can defeat him,” Harry asked.

“I think so,” Dumbledore rose to his feet.

“One last question sir,” Harry said standing up too.

“Yes?”

“Is this real or is it all happening in my head?” Harry asked.

“Of course, it’s all happening in your head, Harry. What makes you think that doesn’t make it real?” Dumbledore said with a familiar twinkle in his eye.

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

The dampness of the forest floor was seeping into his robes as he woke. Every part of his body hurt. The place where the Killing Curse hit him felt like it was on fire. Still, he didn’t move.

“Is he dead,” Voldemort asked.

The little light Harry could see from his face down position was blocked as someone came to kneel beside him. He felt a hand slide under his shirt, nails scratching across his chest.

“Is my son alive? Is Draco at the castle,” Narcissa Malfoy whispered into Harry’s ear.

Her long blonde hair kept Harry’s face from view as he whispered back, “Yes.”

“He’s dead, my Lord,” Narcissa said to the waiting Death Eaters.

Harry stayed limp as Hagrid picked him up with tremendous care. Branches cut at his face and pulled at his hair as they walked slowly through the tightly clustered trees as they made their way back to the castle. The man never noticed Harry breathing or that his heart still beat. He was too heartbroken at the loss of the child he had once rescued from the ruins of his destroyed home. Harry listened as Voldemort blathered on, antagonizing the “defeated” school. The dark wizard made promises to forgive those who agreed to join his side. That he was all they would need to believe in.


As the wizard kept talking, Harry’s mind drifted to his own existence. He was still here. He was once again saved by a mother’s love. Narcissa Malfoy loved her son, just as much as Lily had loved him. She would lay down her life for Draco if, given the chance, Harry was certain.


Voldemort would never understand that. His mother had died only hours after he was born. She never was able to show her son what it meant to be loved. Even if she had, would Voldemort have understood it, or appreciated it?


Love had its own price, Harry realized. So many people had lost their lives in this war. So many had died in their love for Harry. Remus, Fred, Snape just to name a few.


Tears were fighting to come to his eyes at the thought of the Potions Master. Harry had cost the man his life. It was Harry’s failure at Occlumency that led to the spy being discovered.
Harry turned his head slightly as he heard Neville’s clear voice. The boy stood defiantly before Voldemort.


“We may have lost Harry tonight,” Neville said. “People die every day. What he stood for didn’t die with him. What Harry and Dumbledore understood was that love will always win. That’s why Dumbledore will always be a greater wizard than you.”


Harry wished he could applaud his friend. The trill of phoenix song made Harry open his eyes enough to see what was happening. Fawkes dropped the Sorting Hat at Neville’s feet. Where had the bird been when Professor Snape could have used him?


Nagini free of her enchanted cage lunged forward, snatching at the gleaming red and gold bird as he vanished in an instant. Neville pulled the ruby encrusted hilt of the Sorting Hat. Harry watched as Sword of Gryffindor appeared out of the depth of the material once more. Neville turned it and brought it down, severing the head of the snake in one blow.


There was a cheer from those behind Neville. Voldemort made a noise that was unmistakably one of pain. The last of the ties holding Voldemort to Earth was gone. He was just as vulnerable as the rest of them. Harry could defeat the dark wizard once and for all. Maybe he would be here for Teddy after all.


Harry jumped from Hagrid’s arms, darting behind a stone pillar that surrounded the court yard.


“Harry,” Hagrid said confused, looking down at where the boy had just been.


Death Eaters fled at the sight of The-Boy-Who-Lived alive once more. Others stood by Voldemort, the fighting breaking out again. Harry cast a Shield Charm to prevent Voldemort from cursing Neville. Bellatrix made a mistake as she set her sights on Ginny Weasley. Mrs. Weasley came to her daughter’s defense. Harry let out a cheer as Mrs. Weasley’s exclamation of, “NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!”


The redhead woman battled the dark-haired Death Eater with a frightening degree of skill. The Death Eater laughed as if it was a well-played game. She raised her wand to cast another spell leaving her chest exposed. Mrs. Weasley took her opportunity and cast her spell. Bellatrix realized the mistake, the recognition clear on her face, but it was too late. She fell dead.


Voldemort screamed at the death of his most loyal follower.


Harry stepped forward, “It’s over Tom.”


Voldemort hissed at the sound of his given name.


Harry yelled at the crowd, “Nobody help. This has to be me, just me.”


“You don’t mean that,” Voldemort said with a note of disbelief.


“Either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives,” Harry reminded Voldemort. “One of us will die here.”


“You Potter,” Voldemort said with an air of dangerous over-confidence.


“There are no more Horcruxes, Tom. It’s just us,” Harry said. He flexed his hand around the handle of Draco’s wand. “You won’t win.”


“I possess the Elder Wand,” Voldemort warned.


“But it doesn’t belong to you,” Harry remarked, as he stepped to the side. “I heard you tell Professor Snape yourself.”


“I killed the traitor Snape,” Voldemort said stepping to his own side. The wizards circled one another.


“You may have killed Professor Snape but it won’t make you the master of the Elder Wand,” Harry cautioned.


“Snape killed Dumbledore,” Voldemort said. Harry saw a flash of fear pass through the dark wizard’s red eyes.


“Professor Snape killed Dumbledore as an act of mercy. They both knew Dumbledore was dying, the victim of a curse on one of your Horcruxes. He wanted to die having never been defeated. That way the power of the Elder Wand would have been broken. But things didn’t go according to plan.” Harry twisted the hawthorn wand in his fingers. “It wasn’t Snape that took the wand from him. Somebody Disarmed him before he died. It was Draco Malfoy.”


The red eyes searched for the blonde head in the crowd.


“If you’re looking for him, you’re too late. I took his wand from him earlier this evening.” Harry said lifting the wand as if to prove his point. “Draco never knew he was the master of the Elder Wand. Now, I’ll bet it isn’t. The wand chooses the wizard. It the wand holds loyal to who Disarmed its last master, I’m the true master of the Elder Wand.”


Voldemort raised the Elder Wand and yelled in his high clear voice, “Avada Kedavra!”


At the same time using the wand taken from Draco, Harry yelled, “Expelliarmus!”


The spells collided in midair, green striking red. Harry held his breath as the wand flew out of the Voldemort’s hand and went in a wide arch coming toward Harry. The green light reflected back on the evil wizard and struck him down. The body seemed to fall in slow motion. The room was filled with a deafening cheer as Voldemort’s lifeless body finally hit the ground and remained motionless. It was clear, the reign of terror was over.

 

~~~*****~~~*****~~~

 

Some of the Death Eaters Apparated away too afraid to remain, many more collapsed in defeat where they stood. Aurors in scarlet red robes made their way through the crowd taking the beaten wizards into custody. The red clad wizards were soon joined by those wearing the acid green of St. Mungo’s as they began triaging the injured.

The Great Hall was alive with activity as students helped the professionals in their tasks as best they could. For the others, the house elves had set up a few long tables and were serving breakfast to anyone who wanted it. Harry saw Luna’s golden head bent together with Ginny’s fiery hair as the girls held each other. Neville had his arms around both girls.

Harry knew most of his people, his family, were not without their scars, but those who lived were now safe. Still, he couldn’t stand and face the survivors. He couldn’t stand to be in the room any longer. He needed some space, a place away from the buzz of activity. He looked down at the wand still in his hand. A thought occurred to him and he walked out of the room. He ignored the calls of his name as he walked up the stairs. The gargoyle that protected the headmaster’s office was lying on its side.

“Can I go in,” Harry asked the stone creature.

“Why not,” it grumbled back from its place on the floor.

The headmaster’s office was filled with applause as the boy walked in, Harry stepped back startled by the noise, nearly lost his balance on the now stationary stairs.

“Be careful my boy,” Dumbledore’s portrait warned gently.

Harry regained his balance as he gave the old man’s painting a soft smile but said nothing.

“Is it done, darling boy?” Dumbledore asked.

Harry nodded, “He’s really gone this time.” Harry paused for a moment, “I should tell you that I lost the stone in the woods when I went out to meet Tom.”

“Does anyone else know where it is?” Dumbledore asked.

“I don’t think so,” Harry answered. Harry held up the Elder Wand to the headmaster’s portrait. “You know I don’t really like this wand all that much. It’s far more trouble than it’s worth. I plan to return it to its rightful resting place. If I die a natural death its power will be broken.”

Dumbledore’s ancient face nodded its approval.

“I’m going to keep the cloak,” Harry informed the portrait.

“It is yours until you wish to pass it on,” Dumbledore agreed.

Harry looked at the wand in his hand. If this would not work, then nothing would. He had to at least try. He placed the two halves of his broken wand on the desk and raised the Elder Wand. “Reparo,” he whispered. The two halves came together again as it were new. Harry picked it up and red sparks shot out the end as they had the first time he had ever held it. He smiled. It felt like being reunited with an old friend.

Still not ready to face the masses in the Great Hall, Harry sank down exhausted, onto the sofa in the corner of the headmaster’s office, the same one he had slept on after Sirius’ capture. He rested his head on the arm not caring there was almost no padding. His eyes drifted closed as his glasses dug into the side of his face. The gargoyle must have been letting others up the stairs behind him as a short time later Harry felt someone pull his glasses gently off his face. The familiar smell of honeysuckle shampoo filled his nose as the Luna wiggled her way into Harry’s embrace. Harry half-asleep kissed the top of her head. Sometime later Harry thought he heard someone mutter something about “so like his father,” “not finding them in a broom cupboard,” and “taking house points”. Harry shifted as the person placed a blanket down over the slumbering teens. A smile crept onto the boy’s face as he fell asleep once more.

The End.
End Notes:
One last chapter...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3382