Seasons of Love by Stump_Pan
Summary: How different would things be if Snape went to pick up Harry instead of Hagrid?

Snapshots of how things might have been through all seven years by season.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Canon, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year, 5th summer, 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 207949 Read: 117273 Published: 10 Feb 2017 Updated: 02 Sep 2017
Summer 1992 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Harry's first summer back at the Dursley's.
Harry lay on his camp bed in Ron's attic room in the Weasley's home, the Burrow, staring at the ceiling thinking how strange the few last weeks had been. It had all started with the worst birthday in Harry's memory.

Uncle Vernon was to host a very important dinner party at the house that night. For Harry, this meant spending the entire day straightening up the yard and garden, followed by hiding in his room as if he didn't exist. None of that was out of the norm for the eleven years with living with his aunt and uncle. What was different, was an unexpected and unwanted visitor to Harry's room during Uncle Vernon's fancy dinner.

When Harry returned to his room after his dinner, waiting for him was a strange little creature wearing a dirty pillowcase. It had large pointed ears and eyes as large and as green as tennis balls. It called himself, Dobby. He was there to warn Harry he could not return to Hogwarts in the fall.

Harry was a very confused by the statement. Why couldn't he go back to Hogwarts? Dobby couldn't tell him. What Dobby did say was that it wouldn't be safe for Harry. When Harry protested that he had to return Dobby did his best to make sure Harry didn't have a choice.

Dobby snuck downstairs and used a Hover Charm to smash Aunt Petunia's elaborate pudding on the head of one of the guest's head. If that wasn't bad enough, an owl from the Ministry of Magic arrived a few minutes later. It warned Harry he wasn't allowed to use magic outside of school, and never in front of Muggles. Uncle Vernon's guests left in an outrage, scream about it being a madhouse. Uncle Vernon was furious for the loss of his deal. He locked Harry in his room, installed a cat flap in the door for delivering food and installed heavy bars on the windows.

Harry wasn't able to send a plea for help because Uncle Vernon placed a padlock on Hedwig's cage. Harry wand, school books, and everything else in his trunk was locked away in his old room, the cupboard under the stairs. Even if he could ask for help Harry wasn't sure anyone would come. Harry hadn't gotten a single card or letter from his friends.

Harry wished he could call Professor Snape, the Potions Master at Hogwarts. Professor Snape might be snarky and gruff, but the man had protected Harry's life more than once during the previous school year. He also gave Harry his phone number and said to call if things were bad. But Harry was trapped in his room locked away from the nearest phone in the kitchen.

As it turned out, Harry didn't have to call. The morning after the incident another owl arrived for him. This one from the professor chastising him for his reckless behavior. He also asked why Harry had done it and how things were going. Unfortunately, it dropped its letter as Aunt Petunia was letting Harry out to use the bathroom. Uncle Vernon sent the owl off before Harry had a chance to respond. When the owl returned without a response and Harry's own bird didn't show up in the next day, Professor Snape came to check in person.

Aunt Petunia was even more upset with the Potions Master's appearance than Uncle Vernon was at losing his deal. Professor Snape made quick work of the lock on Harry’s bedroom door.  He even vanished the bars on the windows.

"Pack your bags, Potter." Professor Snape ordered as the door banged open.

"My stuff is under the stairs," Harry informed him, hopping off the bed to comply.

Harry grabbed Hedwig and the professor issued him out of the room to show him where his things were being stored. The lock on the door was handled with a simple flick of his wand, he removed the luggage from the small space.

Professor Snape turned to a screaming Aunt Petunia, he ignored her insults and threats. Another wave of his wand cut her off mid-rant. "I have had to come and collect this boy two years in a row. Hope I have no need to do it again."

Harry followed the man out of the house, no words of farewell exchanged. When they got to the end of the block the professor stopped, setting down the trunk he carried. The professor shrunk Harry's trunk and placed it in his pocket. He then banished the lock on Hedwig's cage and undid the lock releasing the owl into the open air, the first time she'd been free since they returned to Privet Drive. She landed on the man's shoulder to nip his ear affectionately. She did the same to Harry before flying off.

Harry watched her until she was out of sight. His heart sinking slightly.

"Don't worry, Potter. You will see her soon enough. I am sure she could use the time to stretch her wings. Besides, she would not care for this part of the journey," Professor Snape explained.

"Sir?" Harry asked.

The man placed a hand on the back of his neck like the first time he collected Harry. They were not in London like last time but by a river bank, the outline of a large mill in the distance.

"I've been here before," Harry said looking around further.

The man stopped in his tracks. He cocked a curious eyebrow, "When?"

"Last year," Harry shrugged, "when we running away from all those letters."

"Idiot," the man grumbled.

"What’d I do?" Harry asked confused.

"Not you, Potter. Hagrid the dolt, he could have accomplished his task without any of the dramatics. Still, I am surprised you came here. Petunia wanted nothing to do with the village when we were growing up. She left as soon as she passed her GCEs and never looked back."

Harry wasn't too surprised to hear this. Aunt Petunia never talked about her family or where she grew up. The professor was walking again. Harry jogged to keep up.

"We need to have a talk about your little incident with the Hover Charm. Then, I will deliver you to your delinquent friends." The man said as the turned and walked up a garden path.

The professor unlocked the door with a key. Harry was slightly surprised he didn't use magic. Harry waited to enter until the man waved him in. He was directed to take a seat in an old fashioned chair. The first thing Harry noticed was how the room was lined with books.  Every inch of wall was covered be overflowing bookcases.  The only space that was not buried under tomes of some sort, was the mantle above a stone fireplace across from where Harry sat.  Harry could see one tarnished silver frame standing there, but was too nervous to investigate what it may contain.

The professor returned several minutes later a tea tray in hand. Harry noted there weren't any biscuits.

"Sugar?"

Harry shook his head before taking the offered cup.

"Now, would you care to explain why you used a Hover Charm in front of Muggles before ringing me, Potter?" The man said sitting back with his own tea.

"I didn't," Harry protested.

"The Ministry of Magic would disagree."

"It wasn't me. It was a house elf." Harry insisted.

"And what would a house elf want with you, Potter?"

Harry shrugged. "He said it wasn't safe for me to go back to Hogwarts. I said I had to go back. He must have known we're not allowed to do magic outside of school because he used a Hover Charm on that pudding right after that."

"And why is it unsafe for you to return to school?"

"I don't know. He didn't say, just that his master was planning something bad." Harry sighed.

"Did the creature say who his master was?"

Harry shook his head, "He kept trying to punish himself when he said anything bad about them.  They didn't sound very nice, though.  He said his owners are always making him punish himself. His fingers were all bandaged because he had to burn them in the over or something."

"I see," The professor sat back for a moment. He finished his tea slowly.  Harry looked around the dark room as they drank their tea in silence.

"Come along, Potter," Snape said setting his cup on the side table.

Harry followed the man back out of the house. He didn't notice the glamour the man placed on the both of them as they walked to the end of the lane. There the man stuck out his wand hand, an instant later a purple triple-decker bus appeared in front of them. A pimply young man with large ears hopped off the bus.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus," the young man greeted.

Professor Snape cut him off before he could continue his speech. "Two to Ottery-St. Catchpole," he shoved Harry up the stairs with one hand and thrusting a fist-full of coins at the conductor.

There were only two other people on the bus. Harry was glad the trip wasn't going to be too long. The driver didn't seem to have that great of a handle on driving, as whole buildings had to jump out of their way.  

Harry sat in one of the cushy chairs on the first deck watching the countryside fly by, jumping miles at a time.  Professor Snape spent the trip hiding behind the morning's paper.

There were let off at the base of a large hill in the village of Ottery St.-Catchpole.  Harry followed his professor up the hill and down the country lane.  They stopped outside the garden gate of a tall, but slightly crooked house. The garden a mess, chickens wandering the yard. A man bent over the engine of an older blue car, his back to Harry and Professor Snape.

"Weasley," Snape said to get the man's attention.

Caught off-guard the man popped his head up but smashed into the bonnet. He rubbed the back of his head as he came back around the side of the car.

"Hello Severus," the man said.

"Weasley, here's Potter," the man said coolly.

The man extended a greasy hand to Harry, "Arthur Weasley. "

"Hi," Harry said taking the man's hand.

The professor returned Harry's shrunken trunk and cage, "Potter, try not to cause any undue aggravation." The man said as a goodbye.

Harry nodded. The man didn't say another before disappearing with a spin on his heel.  The sound of his disappearance making a loud crack.

Mr. Weasley chuckled as he opened the fence letting Harry into the garden.  "Always was a bit of a cool one, Severus. I told him I could come and get you, but Dumbledore wanted him to do it for some reason. Come in the house."

Mr. Weasley placed a hand on Harry's shoulder as he led the boy into the cozy front room. A set of knitting needles were clicking together unaided on some project, a clock chimed in the corner.

"Oi, Harry," George greeted.

"You're here.  Great. We'd let you kip in our room," Fred began.

George finished, "but there's no room, mate. You'll have to share with little Ronnie-kins."

Harry shrugged and followed the twins upstairs to put his things away. That was two weeks ago. They were going to Diagon Alley the morning to get their new books, robes, and things for the start of term. Harry rolled over and tried to get some sleep.

The next morning was rather chaotic, which was the standard course from what Harry had seen. Ginny, the youngest, and only Weasley girl had misplaced her shoes. Fred and George had slipped itching powder to Percy's under shorts. The older boy spent half an hour chasing the twins around the house in response.

Mr. And Mrs. Weasley finally gathered everyone together in the living room, the twins on the opposite side of the room from Percy. Mrs. Weasley passed around a flower pot full of glittery green-black powder. Everyone taking a pinch in turn, until Harry. He stared at it confused.

"Go on take some," Mr. Weasley encouraged.

Harry took the proffered pot and took and a small amount of the glittering dust.

"I take it you haven't done this before?" Mr. Weasley asked.

Harry nodded.

"How did you get to Diagon Alley last year? Or to the house?" He asked curiously.

"We 'Appleated' to Diagon Alley last year and took the Knight Bus here," Harry answered.

"It's Apparate, mate," Ron corrected. "You don't want Miss. Know-It-All telling you, you're saying it wrong."

"No, 'cause it so much better from a spotted git like you, Ron," George remarked.

Ron and Hermione never got on very well. She was too serious for him. She didn't like the fact Ron goofed around all the time, but then expected help on his homework. Harry did his best to stay out of their bickering. He and Neville worked hard so Hermione didn't mind helping them when they had trouble.

"Why don't you go first Percy, show Harry how it's done," suggested Mrs. Weasley.

Percy stepped into the fireplace and threw down his powder. He clearly yelled, "Diagon Alley!" He was whisked away in a swirl of green flames.

"Now you," Mrs. Weasley told Harry.

Harry stepped in somewhat nervously. It wasn't hot, but pleasantly warm. Harry threw down his powder calling out, "Diagonally," as he coughed from the cloud of dust produced from throwing down the powder. Fireplace after fireplace rushed past Harry's eyes. He closed them fighting back the desire to be sick. He tumbled out of one after a few minutes, unsure of where he was.

Harry picked himself off the floor and looked around. It was a dark and dusty shop. It made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. He needed to get out of here! Before he had a chance, the chime over the door rang. Harry didn't want somebody to see him so he stepped into a partly open wardrobe.

"Ahhhh, Mr. Malfoy, how can I help you today? We have some new," the old man behind the counter said his voice oily smooth.

"I'm not here to buy anything, Burke," Mr. Malfoy snapped. "I need to sell some things. The Ministry Muggle-lovers are carrying out raids again. I cannot afford to be caught with anything too... unsavory."

Harry saw Draco wander into his line of sight. Harry could hear Mr. Burke and Mr. Malfoy haggling over the price of several items before finally agreeing as Draco lazily strolled around the store occasionally reading out a description of artifacts.

"Come Draco," Mr. Malfoy said tapping his cane on the floor by the door.

"I thought you were getting me present," the boy whined.

"I don't know why I should. Barely managed to pass your classes, outdone by a Mudblood," Mr. Malfoy remarked.

"It's not my fault all the teachers love the stupid Mudblood," Draco whined, "And stupid Harry Potter with his stupid scar."

"Blood is mattering less and less these days. Good Pureblood name used to be all you needed." Mr. Burke remarked.

"Indeed," agreed Mr. Malfoy. "Come Draco, I will see you Tuesday, Burke."

The bell chimed again as they left, Mr. Burke disappeared into the back muttering about rudeness and not being the half of what Malfoy owned. Harry waited a few minutes before making a break for it.

The stores in this street were dark like the one he just left. He thought to look over his shoulder to see the name of where he just left and crashed into a wall.

Or he thought it was a wall, until it spoke, "Wha' yeh doin' here Harry?" Hagrid greeted.

"Got lost," Harry said looking up at the giant.

"Not a good place teh be," Hagrid told him. "Come on, let's get yeh back where yeah suppose' teh be."

Harry followed him down and around the corner that turned into Diagon Alley.

"Who yeh here with?" Hagrid asked.

"The Weasleys," Harry said running to keep up.

Harry wished he was taller, it stunk having to almost run to keep up with the adults. Hagrid continued down the cobbled street easily, Harry only had to stay close behind him to avoid fighting the crowd.

"We'll head teh Gringotts, see if we can spot any of them redheads."

Their search wasn't too difficult, the Weasley brood was standing at the top of the marble stairs into the bank. It was not a Weasley that noticed Harry first, but Hermione. She pulled away from her parents to run and give Harry a fierce hug.

"Why didn't you ever write back to me," she demanded, as she pulled away from him.  She smacked Harry hard in the upper arm.

"I never got a letter," Harry said rubbing the sore muscle.

"I sent you two a week since the end of term," Hermione informed him.

"I got your one yesterday, but that was the first. It must have been that elf," Harry said his anger growing.

"What elf?" She said curiously.

Harry's explanation was interrupted when he and the Weasleys were called to go down to the vaults. Harry watched as Mrs. Weasley scraped every last coin from the bare vault before the cart stopped at his own nearly flowing one. He did his best to hide it from the prying eyes of the Weasleys. Harry hadn't asked for this wealth, but being here with them felt like he was rubbing it in their faces.

When they returned to the surface Hermione and Harry went off to look at robes, the apothecary, and stationery stores. Fred and George headed off with one of their other friends, Lee Jordan, a fellow Gryffindor and the commentator of the Hogwarts Quidditch matches. Percy disappeared without a word, Mr. Weasley took the Grangers for a pint in the Leaky Cauldron. He loved everything to do with Muggles and this was one of the first times he had a chance to speak to some about everyday things. Meanwhile, Ron accompanied his mother and sister to get all the things Ginny would need for her first year at Hogwarts. All were supposed to meet at Flourish and Blotts at midday for the book signing and then lunch.

It was while they wandered through the street and stores of Diagon Alley that Harry got to explain about the mad house elf, Dobby, his uncle locking him in his room, and Professor Snape rescuing him, again. They said hello to many of their fellow classmates as they shopped.  They arrived with their purchases in hand five minutes before the signing was to begin.

The person who was holding the signing was a man named Gilderoy Lockhart. Harry didn't know anything about him, other than the twins said their mum fancied him and whoever was to be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor had assigned every Lockhart book as one of the required texts. When Lockhart appeared a few moments later in flowing lavender robes perfect curls, and a huge white-toothed smile, Harry couldn't understand why Mr. Weasley or any other the other crowd of women around might fancy him.  Even Hermione was fawning over him! At the signing Lockhart announced he was going to be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts.

Harry's dislike for the man increased when the man dragged him in front of the crowd to get their picture in the paper. When Draco Malfoy called Harry out for this the boys squabbled. Mr. Weasley and Mr. Malfoy tried to break it up but ended up in a fistfight of their own instead. It took Hagrid to pull the two men apart. All in all, it was a very memorable trip to Diagon Alley.

The next week was fairly relaxed. The mornings spent eating breakfast and working on homework, the afternoons playing Quidditch in the nearby orchard. Like any other summer, this one too sadly came to an end. Trunks were packed, owls caged, everyone crammed into the Weasleys’ car.

The trip was slowed when Ginny forgot her diary, Ron failed to pack his cauldron. With all of the delays, they arrived at King's Cross only moments before the Hogwarts Express was supposed to leave. Percy, Mr. Weasley, Ron, and Mrs. Weasley all got through the barrier fine. Harry ran at the wall, he held his breath preparing to go through. Bam! It was a solid wall!

Harry banged on the wall. "What's going on?"

"I don't know mate," Fred said. He came to stand next to Harry. He had no better luck. It was closed.

"We've missed the train," George said looking up at the clock.

“What are we going to do?" Harry asked.

George shrugged, "Mum and Dad will come back for the car."

"That's that's the ticket, brother dear. We'll take the car," Fred answered.

"How will your mum and dad get home?" Harry asked anxiously.

"Apparate. They only bother with the Floo Powder 'cause of us kids," Fred said leading the trio out of the station.

Trunks were reloaded into the boot, Hedwig's cage in the backseat with Harry. George sat behind the steering wheel with practiced ease.

This might sound like a stupid question, Harry thought to himself as they pulled out of the car park, but he had to ask, "Do you know what roads to take?"

Fred and George laughed.

"Why drive when you can fly?" George asked.

Fred did something and then the car was lifting off the ground. His twin hit a button on the dash and the car disappeared.

"Can't have the Muggles spotting us," he explained.

"But doesn't your dad work so people can't charm Muggle things? " Harry asked stunned as the houses turned to the size of raisins, then just to black dots.

"Dad will tell you, a Muggle artifact, like the car, simply being charmed isn't enough. As long as nobody sees it, we should be OK," said Fred.

The boys entertained themselves for a while with the novelty of how they were going to arrive for the term. As the hours past, this became less exciting, especially as their stomachs started to growl.  The sandwiches Mrs.Weasley sent them off with consumed hours before.  The games of Exploding Snap lost their spark around the same time the Invisibility Booster went out. This was of course when they were below the cloud cover to ensure they stayed on track with the Hogwarts Express.

Harry hadn't been happier to see a single thing as he was at the outline of the castle as it appeared in the windscreen. There was a loud thump. They were losing altitude too.

"We're out of petrol," Fred said trying to steer the falling car.

"Watch out," George called out, but it was too late. They were in the tree.

"You OK?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," the twins replied together.

"Now how do we get down?" George wondered out loud.

Soon the concern was not just getting down, but getting out alive. The tree they landed in didn't like being disturbed. A heavy limb crashed onto the roof, another whipped through the window, cutting Harry's eyebrow. After several more violent smashing of limbs, the tree finally shook the car from its branches.

The boys sighed in relief only to be ejected from the car. Hedwig's cage popped open as it landed hard on the ground beside her owner. The owl gave a disgruntled hoot before flying off toward the castle.

"Come on, if we hurry we should be able to make the feast," Fred said dusting himself off.

Harry followed the twins to the side of the castle and through a stone tunnel. They passed through a large chamber to a back of a large mirror on the fourth floor. The three boys headed downstairs. Their dreams of a victorious arrival were quashed by a very angry Potions Master waiting for them at the bottom of the main staircase. He didn't say a word just pointed in the direction of the dungeons.

"Explain," the man demanded, slamming the heavy wooden door to his office.

"The barrier was closed," Harry burst out. "We missed the train and we didn't know what else to do."

"So you thought let's steal a car? Why not break the International Decree of Secrecy? " Professor Snape purposed. "You were seen by no less than five different Muggles. You haven an owl, Potter.   Did it ever cross your minds to send a request for assistance?  Did it never occur to use some other form of transit? You could have taken the Knight Bus. I know you are familiar with how to flag it down, Potter."

“Oi," George protested. "It wasn't Harry's idea. We were the ones who said we should take the car."

The potions master sighed, "Of that, I have no doubt. If you were in my house all of you would be packing your bags..."

"But they're not, Severus." Professor McGonagall snapped, the door to the office banging open.

"Misters Weasley, Harry," Dumbledore greeted the three students.

"Hello sir," they replied in unison.

"Gentlemen, I am afraid, the professor is right." The man's voice soft, but firm. "You have committed a serious breach of wizarding law. I am forced to warn you, if you break any more rules like this, I will be forced to expel you."

Harry swallowed nervously. His eyes drifted to Professor Snape standing in the corner, his arms crossed over his chest. This wasn't the end of it, he knew it.

"You'll all be serving detention," Professor McGonagall informed them. "You will not be joining the feast. I am sure you will receive all the attention you deserve once you reach the Common Room."

The boys nodded. The professor flicked her wand a plate of sandwiches and pitcher of pumpkin juice appeared on Professor Snape's desk.

"You'll eat here and then go directly to the Tower," Professor McGonagall continued.

She and the headmaster headed out, "Are you coming, Severus?"

"In just a moment," he called back to her. "Potter, a word."

Harry stepped out into the hall with the man. He stared at his shoes, he didn't want the man to be angry with him.

"I'm not upset, I am disappointed." Professor Snape clarified. The man placed a finger under Harry's chin forcing it upward.

Harry's emerald green eyes met the onyx of the man's. The finger drifted from Harry's chin to the cut above his eye.

"Are you hurt anywhere else?" The man asked gently rubbing the blood away from his brow.

Harry shook his head.

"Do you have any idea what happened today?"

Harry shook his head once more.

"Very well, go eat your dinner, Potter. I will see you tomorrow evening for detention," Professor Snape said dismissing the boy.

"Yes sir," Harry said shuffling back into the office.

Professor McGonagall was right. The three of them got more than enough attention when they returned to the Tower. It was better than what happened the next morning.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3382