Seasons of Love by Stump_Pan
Summary: How different would things be if Snape went to pick up Harry instead of Hagrid?

Snapshots of how things might have been through all seven years by season.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Canon, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year, 5th summer, 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 207949 Read: 117343 Published: 10 Feb 2017 Updated: 02 Sep 2017
Spring 1993 by Stump_Pan
Harry dragged out packing his supplies after potion on Friday.

"Why are you wasting my time, Potter?" Professor Snape said straightening up a stack of recently collected essays.

Harry pulled his bag over his shoulder. "How long will Hermione be petrified?"

The professor stopped and looked at the dejected boy. "Professor Sprouts says the mandrakes are coming along rather well. We must wait for them to finish maturing. Then I will chop them up, stew them and make the antidote."

"How long is that?"

"It will likely be several more weeks at least, if not a month or more."

"That long?"

"I cannot speed up the process, Harry. I am sorry." Snape said softly.

Harry turned his head to look at the man, the sound of his name catching him off guard. There was something in his expression Harry couldn't quite name. It wasn't sadness exactly. It was sort of like the one he had on the visit to Diagon Alley. But it wasn’t exactly the same.  It was softer, Harry shook his head.  He couldn’t figure out what that might mean.

"Now, go and get some lunch." The man said issuing the boy out of the dungeon.

"Where were you?" Neville asked when Harry sat down next to his friend.

"I needed to ask Snape something," Harry taking a chop from the platter in front of him.

"What did you need to ask the slimy git?" Fred asked.

"I wanted to know how much longer those people in the Hospital Wing will be petrified," Harry explained.

"Why not just ask Madam Pomfrey?" George asked.

"I haven't been able to get to the Hospital Wing with the new rules."

"Who walked with you from Potions?" Neville asked.

Harry shrugged, "Snape."

"OK Harry," Seamus called to him.

Harry looked up, "What?"

"I don't who did it. You need come look," Seamus told him.

Confused Harry followed the boy back to their dorm. Everything was ripped out of his trunk. The only thing Harry could see was missing was Riddle's diary.

"I wanted to ask him if he knew any more about the Chamber of Secrets," Harry told Neville once they were alone.

"We could ask Hagrid," Neville pointed out. "It was his creature that killed the girl, right?"

"We'll go tonight." Harry agreed.

After dinner, Harry pulled out the Invisibility Cloak he had shoved into his bag. Neville and Harry carefully walked back upstairs to the mirror on the fifth floor. Harry led the way down the dark tunnel and out to the grounds. Back under the cloak they carefully walked to Hagrid's.

They could hear Fang, Hagrid's boarhound, whining inside. Neville banged on the door. There was loud shuffling and the door swung open to reveal the giant man holding a loaded crossbow.

"Who's there?" Hagrid demanded.

"It's us," Harry said pulling the cloak off of them.

"Of course it’s yeh two," he grumbled stepping aside to let the boys in.

"Why do you have the crossbow?" Neville asked.

"I reckoned be somebody else payin' me a visit tonight." He said leaning against the wall.

"Who?" Harry asked taking a seat at the table.

"Never yeah mind 'bout that," Hagrid deflected. "Wha' yeh two doin' down here?"

Harry looked to Neville who encouraged him to go on.

"We wanted to know how you got expelled," Harry said.

Before he had a chance to answer there was another knock at the door. Harry and Neville got back under the cloak. They didn't need to get Hagrid in trouble for letting them visit.

"Good evening Hagrid," Dumbledore said at the door.

"Evenin' Headmaster," Hagrid said stepping aside.

Dumbledore was followed by a very strangely dressed man. He wore a pinstriped cloak over a three-piece suit and nervously twisted a lines green bowler hat in his hands. Harry recognized from the newspapers Hermione received at breakfast, it was the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge.

"Greetings Hagrid," the man said trying to sound jolly, but came off mostly nervous.

Hagrid grunted in response.

"Now Hagrid," Fudge said speaking more slowly than necessary. "We at the Ministry... In light of recent events, we need to be seen as if we're doing something."

Hagrid looked to the headmaster for clarification.

"The Minister feels given your unjust record that it would be best if you were to leave the school," Dumbledore explained.

"That's not right," Hagrid complained. "I didn't do nuthin' wrong."

"I know," Dumbledore reassured.

There was another knock and all the attention turned back to the door. Another familiar and unpleasant face appeared when it was opened, Lucius Malfoy.

"Get out of me house, Malfoy," Hagrid growled.

The blonde cast a disapproving glare over the patchwork quilt to the huge copper kettle to the scrubbed oak table. "You call this a house?"

"What yeh want, Malfoy?" Hagrid demanded.

"I was looking for the Headmaster. I was informed he could be found here." Lucius said with a sneer.

"And how can I be of assistance?"

"I come bearing an order for your removal. It's signed by all twelve members of the board of directors." Lucius said pulling a piece of parchment from his coat pocket.

"Yeh can't take Dumbledore," Hagrid warned. "They'll be an attack a day. Killin's next."

Lucius turned and raised a curious eyebrow. "How can you be so sure?"

"Come Hagrid we must be going?" The Minister insisted.

"Goin' where?"

"It's only for a short time. Only this is all put to rights," Fudge dodged the question.

"I'm not goin' to Azkaban," Hagrid pleaded.

"Only for a little while," Fudge failed to be reassuring.

"Headmaster?"

"He has no power anymore, oaf," Lucius said darkly.

"If anybody wanted to know what's goin' on they jus' need ta follow the spiders." Hagrid said, "An' somebody will need to be lookin' after Fang."

"Of course," Dumbledore said followed Hagrid out of the cabin.

The minister was just behind the headmaster. Lucius glared around the room once more before he too left. Harry and Neville waited several minutes before they stepped out from under the Invisibility Cloak.

"What did he mean to follow the spiders?" Harry wondered.

"I don't know," Neville said shaking his head.

The boys made their way back to the castle. Over the next week or so Harry noticed the place that was normally crawling spiders there were suddenly none. One evening on the way back from making sure Fang had food and water after dinner Harry spotted a chain of spiders heading out of the front door. 

"We need to follow them," Harry urged Neville.

"When? We aren't supposed to go anywhere without a teacher?" Neville pointed out.

Harry frowned. He would have to think about that one. The only time they were sort of allowed to move around the castle was the weekend.

"Saturday," Harry said. "We say were checking on Fang and follow the spiders then."

The plan went off better than Harry would have expected. They only ran across Professor Flitwick and somehow the old man bought their story. Especially surprising that it was already late afternoon. The boys spent a little while playing with the dog before it started getting dark. They drifted closer to the forest in case somebody was watching. They grabbed a couple of lanterns from Hagrid's cabin and headed in.

Finding the spiders wasn't as hard Harry expected. After Harry wished that it was much harder. The spiders lead them deep into the heart of the forest, the trees so thick no light came through the canopy.

Here they met Hagrid's pet, Aragog. The creature was a six foot tall, blind spider covered in thick black hairs. He explained that he was not the creature that killed the girl in a bathroom. It was something else, they refused to say its name.

That was fine. They could figure out what it was from there Harry was certain. No, the problem was Aragog wanted his family to eat Harry and Neville. If it hadn't been for the Weasley’s car coming to their rescue, they would have been.

Unfortunately, Neville also broke his wand in the escape.  The case was cracked, the dragon heartstring damaged. They had a hard time explaining how that happened to their professors when they returned to class Monday morning. For the moment he was still using the wand, but with less success than normal. The wand would vibrate on occasion, Neville did his best not to cast any spells, much to the teaching staff's relief.

The boys spent the next several weeks trying to determine what the creature could be.

"I wish Hermione was here," Harry groaned.

"You think Madam Pomfrey would let us visit her?" Neville suggested.

Harry shrugged, "We can try."

The boys were able to break off from the group that Lockhart was was leading to Transfiguration.

"Potter, Longbottom," Professor Snape snapped as the two came around the corner. "Where are you supposed to be?"

Harry and Neville froze. "Where are you supposed to be?" He repeated.

"Uhhhh...We wanted to see Hermione," Harry said after a moment.

The man raised an eyebrow, "Look at me, Potter."

Harry turned up his chin firmly, he didn't hesitate to meet the man's steely onyx gaze. "We wanted to visit Hermione," he insisted.

"Miss Granger is still petrified and will be for several more hours." Professor Snape observed.

"Hours?" Neville asked.

"Hours, Longbottom," Professor Snape confirmed. "I just came from Professor Sprout's greenhouse to collect the mandrakes for preparation. The victims will be back with us in next twenty-four hours, possibly slightly longer."

"You said it would be weeks," Harry pointed out.

"I was mistaken. Not everyone can be perfect," Professor Snape remarked dryly.

"Sorry sir," Harry muttered.

"Go," the man said pushing Harry lightly behind the shoulder blades.

"Where are we going?" Neville asked.

"I believe you wished to visit Miss. Granger, Longbottom." He said pushing Harry a little further down the hall.

Madam Pomfrey was a bit surprised to see the boys. She didn't see the point visiting a petrified person, but let them stay.

"I wish you were here," Harry said sitting beside his friend.

"Harry, look at this," Neville said smoothing out a piece of paper.

"Where did you get that?" Harry asked leaning closer.

"It was in Hermione's hand. Listen:

"Of the many fearsome beasts and monsters that roam our land, there is none more curious or more deadly than the Basilisk, known also as the King of Serpents. This snake, which may reach gigantic size, and live many hundreds of years, is born from a chicken's egg, hatched beneath a toad. Its methods of killing are most wondrous, for aside from its deadly and venomous fangs, the Basilisk has a murderous stare, and all who are fixed with the beam of its eye shall suffer instant death. Spiders flee before the Basilisk, for it is their mortal enemy, and the Basilisk flees only from the crowing of the rooster, which is fatal to it."

"Then how come nobody has died?" Harry muttered. "They must not have looked it in the eye. Hermione had the mirror she was probably checking every corner when she figured it out. Justin... He must have seen him through Nearly Headless Nick. Nick can't die again. Colin saw him through his camera."

"What about Mrs. Norris?" Neville asked.

Harry thought back to that night. "There was water on the floor. And look, Hermione figured out how it was getting around." Harry said pointing to a word scrawled on the bottom of the page.

"Pipes," Neville read. "That explains why nobody has seen a huge snake slithering around the castle. We need to tell a professor."

"Yeah," Harry agreed.

An announcement came over the speakers ordering all students back to their dormitories. Harry and Neville looked at one another. They needed to let a teacher know what they knew. Instead of going back to Gryffindor Tower, they headed for the teachers' lounge. Somehow they didn't run across anybody on their way down.

"What's happened?" They heard Professor Flitwick squeaked.

"The creature has taken a student. It means to kill her," Professor McGonagall told him.

"What are we to do?" Professor Sprout asked.

"Have the board of directors been contacted?" Professor Snape asked.

"I have have contacted the board of governors," she told him.

"What's going on," Lockhart said crashing into the room. "I just woke up."

"The beast has taken a student," Professor McGonagall explained.

"Who is it?" Professor Snape asked.

"Ginny Weasley. We need to ensure the students are safe. It's likely this is the end of Hogwarts. She turned to the newcomer, "Gilderoy, didn't you just say that you know where the entrance to the Chamber?"

"Well yes," Lockhart stammered.

"Yes, didn't you say that you know what the beast is and how to defeat it." Professor Snape continued.

"We'll leave it to you then shall we," Professor McGonagall said.

"Of course, I just need to prepare," Lockhart said rushing out of the room.

"Professor," Harry called after him.

The man spun around, "What Potter?"

"We know what's in the Chamber. I think I know where too," Harry said running to catch up with him.

"Really?" Lockhart asked stopping mid-step.

"Yes sir," Harry confirmed.

"I'll show them," Lockhart muttered. "Lead the way, Potter." He said more cheerily to the boys.

"You know where the Chamber is?" Neville whispered.

Harry whispered back, "I think so. We just need to ask her for certain."

"Ask who?" Demanded Lockhart. 

They made their way downstairs to outside a familiar bathroom.

"In here?" Lockhart said in disbelief.

Neville too looked a bit confused. Harry pushed the door open. The others followed a little more warily.

"Who's there?" Myrtle said coming above her stall. "Oh it's you," she pouted spotting Harry and Neville. "You haven't come to see me since you finished that potion of yours."

"I know. I'm sorry." Harry said. "Myrtle, can I ask you a question?"

She nodded.

"Did you die here?"

She nodded again. "Just over there. A boy came in speaking a sort of funny made-up language. Then all I saw was a great yellow eye and I...I died."

Neville looked around the sink she had pointed to, he carefully inspected the taps. On the piping underneath, he found a small snake etched on one pipe. Harry came to look too.

"How do we open it?" Harry pondered out loud.

"Try saying something in Parslemouth?" Neville suggested.

"Open up," Harry tried.

Neville shook his head, "English."

Harry tried again, he didn't need Neville to tell him he'd been sure successful. With a great shaking and rumbling the sinks moved apart to reveal a long dark pipe.

"Expelliarmus," Lockhart yelled, the boys' wands flew out of their hands.

They turned to look at their professor.

"Oh, that worked better than I expected. Now, down the tunnel boys."

"What?" Harry demanded.

"Come now," Lockhart said jabbing his wand at the boys.

Harry jumped down the tunnel first, Neville an instant later.

"Over here Neville," Harry said waving him over to the side.

"What's it like down there?" Lockhart called.

"Dark and wet," Neville called back.

Lockhart let out an excited squeal as he too came down. Neville and Harry tackled him knocking two of the wands out of the man's hand.

"That wasn't a very smart idea, boys. I was just going to leave you here. Now I'll have to wipe your memories too."

"Why?" Harry demanded.

"I can't have you telling everyone you figured it all out. How would that affect my book sales? Outsmarted by a pair of ten-year-olds." Lockhart said rolling up his sleeves.

"We're thirteen," Harry corrected.

"Ten, thirteen, it won't matter in a minute. You won't even know who you are. Say goodbye to your memories, boys." He raised the wand in his hand he must not have noticed it wasn't his own until it was too late. "Obliterate!" Lockhart yelled a flash of white light was blinding.

Harry didn't feel any different. He looked to his friend who shrugged. The boys carefully approached the professor now laying a few feet away. Harry grabbed the wand in the man's limp grip.

"Sir," Neville said cautiously, his own wand raised ready to defend himself. "Is he alive?"

Harry leaned closer, placing a hand on the man's chest. "He's breathing. You need to stay with him. I'm going to look for Ginny. Stay here and keep an eye on him. Try and call for help or something." He didn't wait for a response before he set off further into the Chamber.

Harry ran past a huge snake skin, it was as wide as an oak trunk and fifty feet long. Who knew how long it had been there. Harry didn't have any problem with speaking in Parselmouth this time when he came to the ornate doors to the antechamber. The door opened noiselessly when Harry commanded it open.

Torches lit magically as soon as Harry entered the room. A dark shape lay on the floor a splash of red fanning out at one end.

"Ginny!" Harry yelled running up to the small girl. He shook her gently. "Ginny, wake up."

"She won't wake. She's too far gone," Tom Riddle said appearing from behind a pillar.

"Tom, help me. She's cold." Harry urged.

"Why should I help you? As she fades I grow stronger." Tom said looking at the pale girl, a clear look of contempt on his face.

"I don't know what you mean. Help me! The creature could be back at any moment."

"The basilisk won't come until it's called."

Harry looked up horrified. "You're the Heir of Slytherin? You're the one hurting all those people?"

"Yes. You have no idea how much I wanted to meet you, Harry Potter. I was a friend to that stupid little girl. I listened as she whined about her brothers, about not having any friends at school. I pretended to care. She didn't know as she opened her soul to me that I grew stronger. I was able to take a hold of her, make her do things she didn't remember, all because of that diary." He motioned to the book that lay beside Ginny. "But she got scared and threw away. And who should find it, but you, Harry Potter. How could such an unremarkable babe defeat the great Lord Voldemort?"

"How can you know about Voldemort? He's after your time?"

"You think I would keep my filthy Muggle father's name after he abandoned me and my mother simply because she was a witch? I the last remaining heir of the greatest of the Hogwarts founders. No. I fashioned myself a new name." Tom waved his wand spelling out "Tom Marvolo Riddle", with another swish they moved to say "I am Lord Voldemort". "How did you defeat me, the greatest wizard to ever live?"

"You're not the greatest wizard to ever live. That's Albus Dumbledore!" Harry yelled defiantly.

Both of their attention was drawn to the great red and gold bird that announced itself with a musical trill. Fawkes dropped something at Harry's feet. It took him a moment to realize it was the Sorting Hat.

Tom scoffed. "This is what Dumbledore sends his great defender, an old hat, and a songbird? Those won't do you any good. Goodbye Harry Potter."

The older boy began to hiss. The basilisk slithered out from a pool of water beside the wizards. Harry slammed his eyes shut and ran, quickly darting off into one of the many giant pipes. Fawkes screech. Harry didn't know what was going on, but Tom was furious.

"Your bird may have blinded the basilisk, but it can still smell you," Tom told him.

Harry ran for his life. He turned down the first pipe he came to and then another one. He could hear it moving trying to find him. It was getting closer...

"Hello," Lockhart said coming around the corner to join Harry.

Harry put a finger to his lips.

"This a rather strange place isn't it?" Lockhart continued not bothered.

The basilisk appeared a second later drawn by the noise.

"What on earth is that?" Lockhart screeched.  He never got to find out as the snake struck sinking its foot long fangs into the man before swallowing him whole. Harry held his horrified breath as he watched. The snake sniffed around once more Harry picked up a rock at his feet throwing it as far as he could the distant clattering drawing the snake away once more.

Harry ran back to the main chamber.

"How are you still alive?" Tom demanded.

Harry simply shrugged. As he ran back toward Ginny he noticed something glittering from within the Sorting Hat.  As he picked it up to investigate, he was shocked by how much heavier it was than in Dumbledore’s office.  Reaching within the hat he grabbed hold and pulled.  The glittering was the gold and ruby encrusted hilt of a six-foot long sword. 

Tom hissed again drawing the basilisk once more. Harry dodged one attack and the next. He clumsily tried to attack the beast, but it was no good. The creature's scales were too hard, he scrambled up and away, thinking to get higher he might stab near its eyes. It moved to bite Harry and in desperation the boy drove the sword into its mouth and up, ignoring the pain of the fang piercing his forearm. The serpent screamed, thrashing about before it collapsed and dead.

Tom looked at the much younger boy, his face red with rage. "You may have killed the basilisk, but I can still kill you."

"No," Harry said stumbling toward the diary. He pulled the fang from his arm and drove it through the pages of the book.

Tom let out an inhuman scream. Harry opened the book and stabbed it into the remaining pages. The boy disappeared in a ball of flames. Harry smiled weakly.

"Harry? It was the diary where's Tom?" Ginny asked looking around the chamber.

"He's gone. Don't worry… You need to go find Neville. He's back at the entrance. Yell for help until somebody comes." Harry urged her.

"What about you?" She asked looking at his bleeding forearm.

Harry shook his head. He was starting to feel sick to his stomach. His eyelids were getting heavy too. Fawkes came back over the Sorting Hat in its talons once more.

"Thanks, Fawkes, but I don't think that will help me now," Harry said taking in the hat.

The bird ruffled its feathers indignantly. It then tilted its head over Harry's arm. A large wet tear dropped onto the boy's bloody skin. Harry hissed at the pain, the skin stretching back together.

"Harry?"

"I'm OK." He promised Ginny. "Their tears have healing properties." He whispered almost to himself.

The bird cried one more tear on Harry's injured arm, he smiled at the bird, “Thanks, Fawkes.” It took a couple more moments before both felt well enough to try and find Neville. Harry made sure both had their wands, the sword, and Harry picked up the destroyed diary. It turned out, Neville was right where Harry left him.

Lockhart had been freighted when he woke up. He didn't know who he or Neville was and panicked. He knocked Neville over the head with a rock and tried to find a way out of the chamber.

"How are we going to get out of here?" Ginny finally asked.

Fawkes chirped and Harry instructed them to grab onto him. He grabbed a firm hold on the bird's tail and they were off, soaring back up the tunnel. Professors McGonagall, Snape, Flitwick, Sprout, and Dumbledore were standing in Myrtle's bathroom waiting when they returned.

The students were guided directly to the headmaster's office. Harry and Neville did their best to explain exactly what happened, without admitting breaking too many rules. Harry didn't miss Snape's amused snort when Neville described Lockhart trying to destroy their memories only to have it backfire from Neville's broken wand. Professor McGonagall let out a sound of distress as Harry told them about Lockhart being eaten. There was a rather proud look on Dumbledore's face as Harry described recovering the sword from the Sorting Hat. The teachers were dismissed to let their houses know what happened after Harry told them he killed the basilisk. Professor McGonagall took Neville and Ginny up to the Hospital Wing on her way to the Tower. Harry was left alone to tell the headmaster about Tom Riddle being Voldemort and him only disappearing when Harry put the fang through in diary.

"You showed great bravery tonight, Harry. And you must have shown me great personal loyalty as well, to bring Fawkes to you." Dumbledore said stroking the phoenix's head.

"You... Voldemort," Harry corrected at the man's turned down expression. "He was saying he was the greatest sorcerer of all time. I told him he wasn't, you are."

"That's very touching, Harry." The man said dabbing at his eyes. "Thank you."

Harry watched as Dumbledore paced around the office. "Sir, how come I can talk to snakes? Do you think I'm related to Slytherin too? Was I put in the wrong house?"'

"No, Harry. Look more closely at the sword, " the man came to stand next to the boy. "Read here," he said pointing at a spot on the blade.

"Godric Gryffindor," Harry breathed.

"Only a true Gryffindor, in great need could have drawn that sword then." He clapped Harry on the shoulder, "You're in the right house, my boy. Always remember Harry, it is our choices that define us."

Harry smiled relief. The door to the office banged open to reveal Lucius Malfoy and behind him, cowering, the House Elf, Dobby.

"I heard you were back," Lucius said darkly.

“You," Harry mouthed at the house elf.

The little creature tried to hide behind his master’s legs but was shoved away.

"Yes, the other governors summoned me when the girl was taken. It turns out several of them were under the impression they would be hurt if they did not agree with my removal." Dumbledore explained lightly. "Now no need to worry, Lucius. The matter has been dealt with, the girl is back. Her parents will be here shortly, as will Mr. Longbottom's grandmother."

Dobby gestured at the journal sitting on the desk then at Lucis. Harry watched Dobby repeat the gesture several times. Harry had an idea what Dobby was trying to tell him.

"Very well," Lucius conceded.

Dumbledore went on, "I believe the Board of Governors is calling a meeting tonight, about your continued position. I would not wish you to miss it."

"Come Dobby," Lucius said beating the house elf about the head. Lucius kicked him when we didn’t move fast enough.

Harry and Dumbledore watched the two leave in silence.

“Why doesn’t Dobby just leave?” Harry asked after a moment.

“He cannot. House-elves are bound to the house they serve for life, or until their master’s present them clothes.” Dumbledore explained.

A wicked grin spread across Harry’s face. “Can I have this?” He said picking up Riddle’s diary.

Dumbledore nodded with a bemused look on his face. Harry dashed out of the room trying to catch up with the man and his house elf.

“Mr. Malfoy,” Harry called from the top of the stairs.

The man stopped and waited for Harry to stand by him.

“What do you want, Potter?” He snapped.

“I wanted to give this back to you.  I know you snuck it into Ginny Weasley’s cauldron at the bookstore last summer.”  Harry said handing the man Riddle’s ruined diary.

Lucius placed the head of his cane under Harry’s chin. “Be careful, Potter.  Or you’ll go the way of your parents.”

Harry grinned. Lucius stormed off, handing Dobby the book. He hit him over the head for not moving. Harry gestured for him to open it, Dobby did so.  Inside tucked between the pages was a wet, bloody sock.

“Come Dobby,” Lucius ordered.

“No. Master has given Dobby a sock. Dobby is a free elf.” Dobby whispered.

“What?” Lucius demanded.

“Master has given Dobby a sock,” the house elf said more loudly. “Dobby is a free elf!” The little creature said raising the dirt bit of fabric.

“You cost me, my servant!” Lucius said drawing his wand from his cane, as he whirled on Harry.

Dobby stepped between Harry and the furious wizard.  The man crashed and was flung back by a barrier the elf created. “You will not harm Harry Potter.”

Lucius struggled to his feet, dusting himself off, “Watch yourself, Potter!”

Harry and Dobby stood together watching the wizard leave the castle. Dobby was silently sobbing, the tears streaming down his face.

“Dobby,” Harry finally said.

“Yes, Harry Potter, sir?”

With a grin, Harry asked, “Can you please never try and save my life again?”

Dobby gave the boy a watery smile as he nodded his head enough to move his entire body.

“Potter, what are you doing out here?” Professor McGonagall asked.

“Nothing Professor,” Harry said turning to the Deputy Headmistress.

“Get on to the Great Hall, there’s a celebration being held down there.  I’m sure Miss. Granger would like to see you.”

“Hermione’s back?” Harry asked hopefully.

“Yes, Potter. Now go,” the professor said shooing him toward the gathering. 

Harry ran down the stairs excited. 

“Where do you think you are going, Potter?” Professor Snape asked as he came up the stairs from the dungeons as Harry made it to the first level on his way to the Great Hall.

“The Great Hall,” Harry answered nervously.  “Professor McGonagall said there’s a celebration in there.”

“Yes,” Snape said, his disapproval clear.  “The Headmaster saw fit to not expel you despite your clear violation of the rules.”

“It wasn’t my fault,” Harry objected. “Lockhart made Neville and me show him where the Chamber was. We had to protect ourselves. You can’t give me detention for that.”

Snape raised an eyebrow at the boy’s tone but didn’t comment about it. Instead, he said, “I was not going to put you in detention, Harry.  I simply wished to express my pleasure that you managed to survive your second encounter with the Dark Lord.  However, your idea of detention is not without merit. I do believe I said you would regret it if you did something as foolish as your stunt at the end of last term.  Seeing as your family will not care about what happened in the chamber a letter to them will do little good.  I think a three-foot essay over the summer about your actions could be of some use.”

“What?” Harry demanded.  “It’s summer.  Isn’t already bad enough I have to live with the Dursleys?”

Snape’s mouth quirked up at that, if only by the smallest of fractions.
 
“Can I go now?” Harry asked.

“You may.  I look forward to reading your reflections on what happened in the chamber, Potter.” Snape said.

“Right,” Harry agreed.

Harry hoped the man was kidding.  He didn’t want to spend his summer working on an essay for Snape that didn’t have to deal with Potions.  Hermione ran up to meet him as he entered the hall, flinging her arms around his neck. 

“I knew you could do it,” Hermione told him.

“You figured it out so much sooner,” Harry dismissed. 

Harry couldn’t remember a more joyful time at Hogwarts, pending essay or no.  Professor Dumbledore announced to the student body that Harry and Neville would be award Special Award for Services to the school. Hagrid returned as everyone was eating.  But the single thing that got the biggest cheer was Professor Dumbledore announcing that as a special reward, term exams were canceled for the year.  Harry was so happy he couldn’t even be upset about having to return to the Dursleys in a week.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3382