Nothing is Truly Black or White by Vaughn
Summary: Not everything is what it seems. Will Snape discover this in time to help Harry? When two people are forced to cooperate to save their world and themselves, they find that some things are better kept hidden. Formatting now corrected.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 13621 Read: 21355 Published: 02 Feb 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Of Sinners and Saints by Vaughn
Author's Notes:
To all those who have read and reviewed, thanks again.

Through the Looking Glass

"Professor?"

"Um...excuse me, Professor Snape."

"Yes, what in the devil is it now, Potter?"

"Maybe Grinny is able to help us. He’s actually a house-elf from the Hogwarts kitchens."

Harry held up the grey 'feline' for the Potions Master to examine.

"So that is what aided your escape, is it? A house-elf masquerading as a cat. An insult to cats everywhere, I might add. Do not look so surprised, Potter. Surely you would have ended up captured or in pieces if left to your own devices. I was certain that thing was a magical creature of some sort. What I fail to understand is how a house-elf from Hogwarts knew of your predicament."

"Look, Professor, I didn't ask you to blow cover or whatever else you did. I didn’t ask to be rescued. I certainly didn't ask to be hunted by a power hungry lunatic. Can you at least be civil with me when asking a question?"

"You are as insolent and ungrateful as I have come to expect, Potter. You do not spare a second thought to the innumerous witches and wizards who have risked their own lives countless times to ensure your worthless one continues. Furthermore..."

Harry barely suppressed a sign as the Potions master continued his usual tirade. He decided it was better to block Snape out rather than engage in an intense argument with the stubborn Potions master. He knew their chance of survival would depend on how well they could work together.

Work with Snape? That’s it, we’re going to die.

As soon as Snape hit his trademark dramatic pause, Harry seized his opportunity to speak.

"You're absolutely right, Professor Snape." Harry spat out through gritted teeth.

Choosing to disregard Snape's distinct look of utter disbelief, Harry launched into what he hoped would trick the Professor into focusing on what their next move should be.

"Since you have so much more experience than I in the ways of magic, what do you recommend we do next, sir?"

"Well, well, well, what have we here? Are you so frightened that you are willing to listen to me, for once? Perhaps I misheard you, Potter. Your brain must be addled from the day’s events if you suddenly take me for a fool. Even that dolt Longbottom could see through your flimsy attempt at flattery.”

Harry let out a long sigh.

Why did everything have to be so difficult with this man?

"Fine, Professor. I'll be honest with you. I would rather be lost with a starving Fluffy than you. However, if we don't stop fighting soon I suspect we will be in each other's company even longer. All I am asking for is a temporary truce or at least an attempt at one."

Harry could feel his dread mounting as the seconds ticked by with no response.

Come on, Snape. Chew me out for my lack of respect or something. Or agree. Or...

"Very well, Potter. Let's see what your house-elf can do."

Harry wasn’t sure if he was relieved or terrified by Snape’s unexpected agreement. He placed Grinny on the ground and whispered into his ear that he could transform back. Grinny mewed happily and appeared to be preparing himself. There was a small, weak flash of light.

A strong flash of light was the one thing Harry had come to associate with elf-magic. A loud 'crack', as well. Upon the absence of both, he knew something was amiss.

"Potter, are you sure that's a house-elf?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then why, pray tell, is it still a cat!"

"I don't know, Professor."

“Quite unsurprising, Potter.”

Harry knelt down and whispered again into Grinny's ear.

"Grinny, it's safe to change back now."

Grinny let out a strangled cry and began pounding his head upon the ground. Harry quickly restrained him before any damage was done.

"I don't think he can, Professor."

"It appears to be that way, Potter. As to why, I am unsure. Unless...oh, no."

"What, Professor? What is it?"

Snape pulled his wand out of his billowing sleeve. He took aim at Grinny and shouted an unfamiliar incantation. Harry instinctively moved to shield the house-elf for the inevitable blast. He cast a puzzled look at the elder wizard when none came.

Snape, paler now than Harry had ever thought possible, barked out a terse request for Harry to cast a spell, any spell. He was positive that Snape was going to scream bloody murder at him for foolishing placing himself in the way of the spell.

Snape’s near panic, something I never even dreamt possible. What has got him so…

Harry felt a chill when he realized what had transpired. He steadied his wand and prayed he was mistaken.

"Lumos!"

Nothing. Harry tried again.

"Lumos!"

It was a nightmare, pure and simple. He was stranded with someone he loathed and they had no magic.

"Professor, what's happened?"

"There must be more than an Anti-Apparation field around this place, Potter. I suspect there is a magic-inhibiting field, as well."

"Why would Dumbledore send us to a place where we can't even use magic to defend ourselves, sir?"

"You will address the Headmaster with the proper title, Potter. In answer to your question, I do not believe he did. The Portkey must have been tampered with, possibly by the same person who betrayed us to the Dark Lord."

"If that's the case, Professor, why are we unharmed? I don't think Voldemort..."

"He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, boy!"

"Yes, sir. As I was saying, I don't think he would just leave us here, unguarded."

"I am not certain. The Dark Lord is not a patient man. If this was his doing, we would most certainly be dead by now. I shall inspect the inside of the cottage, Potter. We may not be alone. You will stay here and inform me if anything should arise. If anything goes wrong, Potter, do me a favor and try not to play the hero for once."

"Yes, sir."

"And if anything should happen to me, Potter..."

"Yes, Professor?"

"Run."

Harry watched with growing trepidation as Snape slowly approached the decaying structure. He circled around the cottage, peering into all of the small windows before creeping inside.

Harry waited for what felt like an eternity. He cautiously moved closer to the cottage.

It was dead silent.

"Professor?"

"Professor, are you all right?"

No response.

Harry could not stand it any longer. He made his way to the doorway, lingering in its frame. He didn't see Snape anywhere, so he called out once more.

"Professor Snape! Where are..."

There was a blinding flash and Harry knew no more.

Interlude: Questions with No Answers

Albus sighed as he scanned the expectant faces huddled around the old table in 12 Grimmauld Place. They deserved better than pure speculation.

“As you are all aware, Harry is missing from his relatives’ home. Kingsley here will fill you in on what the Ministry knows at this time.

Kingsley Shacklebolt slowly rose and cleared his throat.

“The wards around Harry’s home were taken down except for a slow response one intended for minor emergencies. We do know very Dark Magic was used and some items in the house were destroyed, the most disturbing being the shattered front picture window. The relatives were out at the time so we have no witnesses. The house was empty when we arrived.”

“But how could that happen? For that matter, why stop? Why not take all the wards down?” Molly Weasley tearfully inquired.

“We don’t know for certain, Molly. We think it may have been intentional. Albus, you might want to explain this.”

“Of course, Kingsley, thank you for the report. I believe that Severus disarmed the wards in hope of getting Harry out of harm’s way.”

The Headmaster raised his hand to silence the angry murmurs at this.

“Voldemort is aware of Severus’ close proximity to me. Had he refused to remove the wards, he would have been disposed of immediately. That would have left Harry at the mercy at the other Death Eaters we believe were sent with Severus - Lucius Malfoy and Walden McNair.”

“How do we know that Snape was alone? Once a Death Eater, always a Death Eater, Albus.” grunted Moody.

“Since you are all familiar with my thoughts on Severus, I will go straight to your inquiry, Alastor. Narcissa Malfoy has spread the word that Lucius died today in an unfortunate accident.”

Albus paused a moment to allow the significance of the news to register with the Order members.

“According to Kingsley, he was last seen alive leaving the Ministry in quite a huff with McNair. This occurred at the same time that Severus was summoned to Voldemort. McNair was to return to work after seeing to an ‘emergency’ with Malfoy. He failed to do so.”

He watched with a hint of amusement when Remus Lupin’s eyes light up with comprehension. Remus had always been a bright boy. It pained Albus to see how his former student was treated by the wizarding world at large. He gestured for Remus to speak.

“Sweet Merlin, Albus. Are you saying that Snape killed Malfoy?”

“I think if he had no other option, yes. He would have to take one down in order to stall the other, and Malfoy was the quicker of the two.”

Remus now had everyone’s full attention as he spun his theory aloud.

“Snape most likely would not kill both. He is not the type to do anything unnecessary and he knew time was of the essence. Voldemort’s followers got there before the Ministry and brought the body back to him. He needs the influence and the money, you see. Lucius cried bewitchment in the first war, and even if they accepted that line again the Ministry would still ransack Malfoy Manor. They would use the pretense of searching for evidence as to who would want Malfoy dead and why he was at Harry’s home. Narcissa couldn’t risk that her husband would be found a Death Eater. She would lose her public standing and the Malfoy fortune due to the laws regarding active Death Eaters and their property.”

“Exactly, my dear boy. The Malfoy name would be ruined and the estate dismantled piece by piece to be given to Voldemort’s victims. It is a risk that neither Narcissa nor Voldemort were willing to take. The emergency escape Portkey placed near Harry’s home was activated. Chances are that he and Severus are somewhere, together.”

Albus braced himself for the onslaught of questions that would greet his next statement.

“The problem is that we do not know where they are.”

As the debate and the inquires began, Albus found himself rummaging through his robes for his emergency supply.

“Lemon drop, anyone?”

We All Become the Thing We Hate the Most

"Still no word on Potter and the traitor, my Lord?"

"None, my dear. The Ministry does not appear to know anything, as usual. They reported a use of serious Dark Magic at the boy's home. Upon inspection, they found nothing. No sign of Potter or anyone else."

"Please forgive me for asking, Master, but what of Malfoy and McNair?"

"I see nothing wrong with wishing to find out the fate of those who fail me. McNair has been dealt with accordingly. As for Lucius, he served faithfully until his end. He was attacked from behind by a coward."

"I did not realise, my Lord."

“I arranged for his body to be retrieved before the Ministry arrived. I will not have Narcissa suffer the public humiliation. Not when she can still be of some use to me."

"Very wise, my Lord. She has wealth and public standing for you to use to your advantage."

"You are as clever as always, my faithful servant."

"I only wish to please you, Master."

"And please me you will, my dear. I have a very important task for you. You must not fail."

"I pledge my life to you, my Lord. I shall succeed or gladly die by your hand."

"If you fail, I will make good on your vow.”

"I will not disappoint you, Master."

"I should think not. You come from a very distinguished and worthy pure-blood family. I highly doubt you would wish to bring dishonor on the The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black, Nymphadora."

To be continued...
End Notes:
Don't hurt me yet, Tonk's fans. This is going to get a bit complicated. Feel free to hurt me later, though...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=339