Geminus: Year One by watercrystals
Summary: When everything Draco and Harry knew about their lives crumble, can Severus be there to pick up the pieces and give the twin boys a family they'd always wanted?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Fred George, Hagrid, McGonagall, Neville, Original Character, Other, Ron, Tonks
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped, Ravenclaw!Harry, Runaway, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 17595 Read: 14651 Published: 08 Apr 2017 Updated: 10 May 2017
Promises Kept by watercrystals

'First years, let's go!' a dark-skinned, frizzy-haired Ravenclaw prefect spoke above the chatter. She stood on her chair, gesturing with both arms.

With a final longing glance at his barely-touched pudding, Draco left his seat to follow the other first years out of the Great Hall.

'All my family are Gryffindors,' Ron whispered, as they hurried to keep up. 'Do you know anything about the Ravenclaw common room?'

'Sorry, no.' Harry shook his head.

'It's in a tower,' Draco said. 'That's all I know - lots of stairs.'

'Great,' Ron grumbled. 'I hate stairs.'

Following their prefect up the grand staircase and into a tower, the newest Ravenclaws were faced with more than just a lot of steps. A tight staircase spiralled up with endless precision, as if it continued into the night sky itself. The first years groaned, but their prefect didn't pause to offer sympathy.

'Come on,' she said, marching forward. 'No use trying to avoid it. This is your life now – the Ravenclaw Tower awaits! I promise the views are worth the climb.'

'We're going to die doing this every day,' Ron complained.

The group came to a dizzy halt at the top. A plain door waited for them – it had no knob or keyhole, just an eagle-shaped knocker. The bronze bird spoke in a musical voice, its shining gaze glancing over the first years.

'What has an eye but cannot see?'

'Righto.' The prefect clapped her hands together once. 'First of all, I'm Cassie Reed. And welcome to Ravenclaw! I've got a bit of a speech prepared, been waiting four years to give one, but it'll be more impressive inside. So...What has an eye but cannot see?'

'What sort of password is that?' a girl behind Draco asked. He didn't turn to look, too interested in Ron's paling face.

'A rubbish one, if it was.' Cassie rolled her eyes. 'To gain entrance, you must answer a question.'

'What if we get it wrong?' Draco asked.

'Then you try again, or wait for someone else to get it right. Trust me, you do not want to forget anything when leaving the tower or you'll have to answer again,' Cassie said. 'It's not so much about getting a right answer, but rather avoiding a wrong one. There's more than one way to answer a question, after all. Go on, you lot, give it a try.'

'What has an eye but cannot see?' the knocker repeated.

'A needle?'

'A storm?'

'A one-eyed blind person?'

The door swung open. Draco, Harry, and Ron exchanged anxious glances; none of them gave an answer. Draco preferred to memorise a password than answer a riddle each time, and made a mental note to never forget his books or quills.

'Which one was right?' the girl behind Draco asked again. This time he did turn, recognising her as Mandy Brocklehurst from the sorting.

'All of them.' Cassie shrugged.

The group parted, as she walked ahead into the tower.

Catching up, the first years gasped and stared at wide Ravenclaw common room. Ron and Draco tilted theirs head back to see everything in the circular room – from arched windows curtained silken blue and bronze, and a starry ceiling that matched the carpeted floor. Comfy-looking armchairs and tall bookcases were scattered around the room. By another door stood a marble statue of Rowena, their house founder.

'Welcome to the Ravenclaw common room,' Cassie said. 'Gather around, I've got something I need saying. Many of you've probably heard this is the “smart house”, as if we're all obsessed with studying and homework...'

Her brown eyes landed on Ron, who nodded gloomily.

'I promise, that reputation does not come from here,' she said. 'Ravenclaw is the house of painters, composers, inventors...Outsiders. Wit beyond measure is our greatest treasure, but notice it's “wit” not “intellect”. After all, wit, by definition, is “inventive thought”. Creativity comes in many forms.'

'That's a relief,' Draco muttered, Ron and Harry nodding.

'Reciting textbooks only gets you so far.' The prefect glanced around. 'Ravenclaws enjoy the challenge of learning. We use our imaginations; our words and ideas create humour and fun. You can be smart too – my point is, don't limit yourself. Don't think you have to meet some sort of quota to belong here.'

Cassie paused, exhaling a breath, while they finished admiring the common room.

'Right, good. Not bad a speech considering I made it up on the train...' She muttered. 'Now, the official stuff: your belongings have already been brought up. There's a map of the castle on our notice board - memorise it like your life depends on it. Dormitories are through that door, with girls on the right and boys to the left.' Cassie pointed by Rowena's statue.

The exciting day, spanning from the Muggle car to magical Sorting Hay, left Draco exhausted. Heading into their dormitory with Harry and Ron, he also picked a bed to the left of the round room.

The four-poster beds had velvet, blue drapes that looked almost as comfortable as the bedsheets. Drawn to the enormous window between his and Harry's beds, the dormitory faded behind Draco. He stared at the castle and darkened grounds, in awe of the sight that was indeed worth all those stairs. He only turned away when they were joined by their remaining dorm-mates.

'I'm Terry, by the way,' said a boy with brown hair, shaking Ron's hand. Terry tapped an orb with his wand, which was placed on his bed stand and illuminated the room.

'Michael,' the last boy said, tucking black hair from his face. He yawned widely and dropped onto his bed to shuffle through a stack of drawings.

'I'm Harry. And this is my brother, Draco,' Harry said, after Ron introduced himself. 'Pleased to meet you all.'

'Likewise.' Terry nodded.

Draco tested his mattress, pleased with its quality, and decided to write to Tonks. He had to tell someone about his sorting, briefly wondering how the Malfoys might have reacted. They hadn't scorned Ravenclaw as much as Gryffindor or Hufflepuff. He needed to stop focusing on them; the thieves who decided Draco wasn't good enough.

'I don't know how to say,' Ron grumbled to Harry, who tried to help write a letter home. 'How do I tell them I'm not in Gryffindor?' he groaned, slouching with defeat.

'If you don't, one of your brothers probably will.' Harry shrugged. 'Just keep it simple, like it's no big deal.'

'You have older brothers here?' Terry asked Ron. 'Do you think they'll know what Dumbledore was talking about – you know, what could kill us on the third floor?'

'I dunno.' Ron finished scribbling a note, then put away his parchment and ink with a sigh of relief. 'I reckon they'd have mentioned it. Maybe it's new?'

'Seems a bit odd to warn us away, but not say why,' Terry continued. 'If anything, makes me more curious to go there.'

'Not me.' Draco frowned. 'No thanks. Why would we go somewhere that could kill us?'

Tired of conversation, and entire day itself, Draco quickly changed and climbed into bed. Yanking blue drapes closed for privacy, he drifted into much-needed rest. Draco enjoyed dreams of playing Quidditch, until he woke gasping for air. Tossing back drapes, he bowed his head to stare at the floor and remind himself he was safe now.

'You okay?' his brother whispered by their tall window. 'Another nightmare?'

'Yeah.' Draco lifted his gaze to glare at Terry's bright orb. He sat beside his twin on the stone floor in front of the window, where Harry stroked Hedwig's feathers.

'Me too,' Harry said. 'About going to Slytherin, then a flash of green light. What about you?' he glanced at Draco.

'I don't know.' Draco frowned, wrapping arms around his knees. 'It was dark, and someone was laughing at me. Telling me I'm not good enough.'

Harry didn't say anything, nodding as if he understood. He leaned to Draco so their heads touched, both staring through the glass at their new home. Hogwarts was stunning when illuminated only by overhead moonlight, as if glowing with new beginnings.

~ G ~

'Ron, come on, get out of bed!' Harry insisted, fully dressed in his new Ravenclaw uniform.

'Bloody hell,' Ron grumbled, rolling over. 'I'm trying.'

Draco combed his honey-coloured hair, adjusted his blue and bronze tie, then joined Harry in pulling off Ron's blankets.

With the promise of breakfast, Ron finally got up to search for socks.

Their first day at Hogwarts begun extra-early in effort to keep their promise to Neville. Terry and Michael, to Ron's annoyance, slept through Harry's nagging. Once properly awake, however, the red-haired boy regained his determination.

'So we go here...' Draco stood at the map in their common room. '...And the Great Hall is all the way down here. This is a nightmare,' he grumbled.

'We don't even know what we need for classes yet,' Ron added. 'Bloody stairs.'

'Let's go,' Harry said, leading the way.

They hurried around spiral stairs and entered the grand staircase, which was where their sense of direction failed.

'Guess the phrase “early bird” does apply eh, George?' Fred jumped a last step to join them on a platform. 'Lost already, little raven?'

'Stop it,' Ron grumbled.

'We are lost, though,' Harry said. 'Wait, you're Gryffindors! Do you know if Neville's gone to the Great Hall yet?'

'Longbottom?' George asked, joining Fred. 'Doubt it. Only a nutter gets up this early on their first day.'

'You're up this early,' Ron pointed out.

'Not necessarily,' George said mischievously.

'Is that the Fat Lady?' Draco glanced up the stairs to a large portrait. 'Entrance to the Gryffindor common room?'

'And how'd you know that?' Fred raised an eyebrow. 'Did a little bird tell you?' He smirked at Ron, who blushed and stared at his shoes.

'Leave him alone.' Harry frowned.

'I don't think we made ourselves clear, Fred.' George sighed dramatically, clapping a hand to Ron's shoulder. 'We should have put up banners and sung it from the towers! Proud of our little raven brother, we are.'

'Our other brothers, see, they thought a shiny badge would make them special – but oh no, Ron showed us how it's really done,' Fred said. 'Why roar when you can fly?'

'I didn't choose Ravenclaw,' Ron said, but relaxed and stared up at his brothers. 'You really don't mind?'

'We think it's brilliant.' Fred grinned. 'And you lot are welcome to sit with us any time.'

'That's allowed?' Draco asked. 'Sitting with other houses, I mean.'

'Best not during dinner, but why not?' George shrugged. 'Ron's still our brother, and you're still his friends.'

'Anyway.' Fred smirked, glancing around. 'We'll catch your names next time, but right now-'

'-We've got places we're not meant to be,' George finished.

With bows and grins, the older Weasleys headed off, leaving the Ravenclaw trio to make a decision.

'I say we go to the Great Hall,' Draco said. 'I'm hungry. Besides, either Neville's already there or we'll wait for him to show up. It's the same destination.'

'Good idea.' Harry nodded.

With only a few wrong turns, they entered the Great Hall and were relieved to see it mostly bare. A scatter of students sat at each table, but Neville wasn't among them. Being on one far side of the room, Ravenclaw didn't have the best angle to keep an eye out.

Ron and Draco sat to eat breakfast, while Harry stood on the seat between them to watch the main doors.

'I see him.' Harry jumped down, knocking Draco's fork into his cheek. 'Come on!'

Neville was startled by the attention, as the three Ravenclaws ran to greet him with beaming smiles.

'We meant it then and still do,' Harry said in a rush. 'Friends before house; our pact's as strong as ever.'

'Thanks.' Neville smiled, exhaling a breath. 'I was worried. When you all went to Ravenclaw...'

'I still don't know who that happened,' Ron said, shaking his head.

'We'll meet up at lunch, okay?' Draco offered, rubbing his cheek. 'Compare timetables and stuff.'

Neville agreed and headed to the Gryffindor table, where the Weasley twins made “caw caw” sounds at Ron. As students filled the hall, Draco took the opportunity to question older Ravenclaws.

'What's he teach?' Harry wanted to know as well.

'Potions,' Cassie answered, glancing at Professor Snape. 'People say he wanted Defence Against the Dark Arts instead, but he really knows his Potions.'

'What's he like?' Draco wondered, moving eggs around his plate.

'Uh...' Cassie winced. 'That depends on two things: if you're any good at Potions, or if you're in Slytherin. He'd head of Slytherin house and...Well, he goes easier on them than us.'

'That's not fair.' Harry frowned.

'Fairness is not a priority of Professor Snape,' Cassie said, glancing up as mail arrived.

Hundreds of owls swooped into the hall, dropping letters and packages from home. Ron's mood worsened, reminded he hadn't sent his letter home yet, and Draco was disappointed by Pepper's absence. He wasn't sure where Tonks lived, and tried not to expect a quick reply.

Harry, however, petted Hedwig after the owl dropped a note onto his toast. He'd just started reading when a high-pitched, shrieking owl flew close across the table and tumbled into a container of cereal – scattering food and feathers. Many Ravenclaw yelped and ducked, while those a safe distance away laughed at the display.

'Sorry!' Mandy, whose face was bright red, hurriedly retrieved the eagle owl. 'It's Knuckles, my owl. He has terrible landing.'

'No kidding,' scoffed a sixth-year boy, flicking flakes of cereal from his afro.

'Hagrid wants us to have tea with us, Friday afternoon,' Harry said, nudging Draco and Ron. 'Said he wants to hear about my first week, and meet you two.'

'I'd like to meet Hagrid,' Ron said, reaching for his pumpkin juice.

'Sounds like a plan.' Draco nodded.

Tiny Professor Flitwick came around to hand out time tables, which ended casual conversation. Their prefect said Ravenclaw's reputation for being the “smart house” wasn't entirely true, and yet it was the table who emptied fastest that morning.

'We should go.' Draco rose, frowning at his schedule. He didn't want to be the last one at their table, as if he didn't belong there. The hat's words about sending him to Slytherin still haunted Draco.

They had Herbology first, which the trio were almost late for – having battled stairs and the riddle to grab their books. Classes were mixed, so they got to walk with Neville and sit by his side each lesson. Transfiguration was harder than they'd thought, and History of Magic was so dull they'd tried to catch up on sleep. Charms was interesting, though they didn't get to use magic right away, and Astronomy was their last class of the day – at midnight, which no one looked forward to.

Draco hadn't expected their first day at Hogwarts to pass by as simply and quickly as it did. There wasn't time to think about Snape or nightmares. Most of their focus went to finding their way around, which the boys did badly, and keeping up with the Professors' detailed explanations.

The next day, though exhausted from their Astronomy lesson up yet another long flight of stairs, the four friends had already gotten better at locating the right classroom or corridor.

'Well, that was disappointing,' Harry said, as they left Defence Against the Dark Arts.

'Quirrell looked scared of his own skin.' Draco rolled his eyes. 'It's ridiculous.'

'Isn't that your owl?' Harry pointed to a window.

Draco glanced quickly, but frowned when it wasn't Pepper on the windowsill. Ron went to the owl, taking a letter from its leg with a wary look. He braced himself, then tore it open.

'What is it?' Harry rushed forward when Ron's eyes widened.

'Is it bad?' Draco asked. 'Is it from your parents?'

'Yeah, from Mum.' Ron gulped. 'She...She says they're proud of me, for getting Ravenclaw. Said it's great. They expect to hear all about it.'

'Well, that's good – isn't it?' Harry smiled.

'Yeah.' Ron leaned against a wall, relieved. 'Bloody hell, it's brilliant.'

Draco sighed, looking out at blue sky and white clouds over Hogwarts. He still hadn't heard from Tonks, but that's not what bothered him. For the first time since finding out the truth, Draco realised what it meant not to have parents. There was no one waiting at home to hear from him, to send him treats or things he'd forgotten, and no one to be nervous about telling how his day was or which house he got sorted to.

There was just an empty space, and nothing big enough to fill it.


Severus had been teaching Potions at Hogwarts for ten years, and not even his first day doing so was as nervous as now. There was a lot at sake – not for his career, but peace and sanity for the next seven years. Even that was rather optimistic.

Checking his robes, and holding his head high, Severus marched forward and slammed open the door. As intended, chatter instantly settled and all heads turned to him. He strode purposefully to the front of the Potions classroom and turned, obsidian gaze raking over the heads of his new first years.

Weasley's red hair made it easy to locate the Potter twins, who were creators of apprehension.

Severus, like Flitwick, made concious effort to learn the names of all his students. He called the roll, taking time to place names to faces, and lingered ever-so-slightly on the twins. Severus had long since adjusted to the lower temperature of Hogwarts dungeons and its Potions classrooms, but he felt the chill this time.

He could finally test things he'd wondered since Draco and Harry were born.

'There will be no foolish wand-waving or muttering silly incantations in this class,' Severus began, standing taller. He crossed his arms into the folds of his black robe, satisfied by the wariness he inspired. 'As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. If you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have in this room, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death...'

Pleased with his speech, Severus' obsidian gaze trailed over his rapt audience – landing on Harry. The boy was bend over his desk, not even bothering to pay attention. Severus inhaled an inaudibly sharp breath and glared at the boy.

'Then again, perhaps some of you have come to Hogwarts with abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to...Not. Pay. Attention!'

Draco nudged Harry, and emerald eyes darted to Severus. He was bitterly remorseful of his actions and Lily's resulting death, which would always haunt him as surely as Harry's green gaze would continue to provoke that guilt. Those eyes will be the death of him, Severus was certain of it.

'He was taking notes!' said the Weasley boy, with indignation that Severus quickly shredded with a cautionary glare.

'Five points from Ravenclaw, for talking out of turn,' Severus said through grit teeth.

Weasley's words hit a nerve, but Severus remained determined. Draco hardly moved or said a word; there was still hope.

Clearing his throat, Severus approached the Ravenclaw trio.

'Well then, Potter,' he said, gaze drifting to either boy. 'What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?'

It was the moment of truth.

A Gryffindor girl shot her hand into the air, which Severus completely ignored. The three Ravenclaw boys paled and shared glances, diminishing Severus' tiny shred of hope – until Draco inched higher in his seat and visibly braced himself.

'Er – isn't it a Sleeping Draught, sir?' Draco asked, anxiously trying (and failing) to meet the man's stern gaze. 'A powerful one. They're ingredients of the Draught of Living Death, aren't they?'

'Yes, very good, Potter.' Severus internally winced at the praise, caught off-guard by the boy's answer.

Perhaps he'd have a stronger hold on his intimidating demeanour if the twins wore Gryffindor robes, as he'd expected. Not only was Draco correct, but the words weren't copied directly from a textbook. The boy actually studied before coming to school.

'And you?' Severus focused on Harry, who raised his chin defiantly. 'Where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?'

'Um...' Harry glanced at his brother, then Ron's wide-eyed face, and frowned. 'It's...'

The Gryffindor girl's hand rose higher, and Severus clenched his jaw. He knew exactly the sort of student Granger was going to be, but at least someone wanted to prove they weren't a dunderhead.

'It's a stone, I think,' Harry finally said. 'Yeah. It's from a...Sheep? No, goat! How does one get a bezoar out of a goat's stomach, sir?'

'Unpleasantly,' Severus said, leaning back. 'Indeed. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat. It's a rare occurrence that anyone should come to Hogwarts with enough sense to open a book before setting foot in a classroom.'

Severus was furious. The Potter twins were, so far, the opposite of what he'd expected and dreaded – what was he supposed to do now?

It had to be a fluke, surely.

'Let's try again – what's the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?' Severus directed at the boys, subtly glancing at Harry's parchment. Weasley was right; scrawled down the page page were key points of Severus' speech.

Draco's parchment, however, had a small sketch in the corner of an overflowing cauldron.

Granger stood to her feet, arm raised as high as it would go. Draco stared at his desk, eyebrows frowned deep in thought, while Harry glanced at the Gryffindor girl.

'I don't know, sir,' Harry said, looking back at Severus. 'But I think Hermione does. Seems a pity not to ask her.'

'Silence,' Severus growled at those who dared to laugh. 'Sit down!' he snapped at Granger, who sank into her seat but didn't lower her hand.

Severus looked down at the four boys, barely taking notice of Longbottom and Weasley at either end. Harry frowned back, but maintained eye contact and gave Severus his entire focus.

'For your information, Potter-'

'They're the same thing,' Draco boldly interrupted. 'There's also aconite. Why does one plant have three different names?'

Severus needed to sit down, but stubbornly held his ground. He asked a few more questions, and the twins deflated in their seats without further answers or cheek. Prompting the rest of the class to take notes, Severus returned to the front of the room.

Torn between seeing the quiz as proof, or if the boys were merely sorted correctly, he reserved judgement. Harry's cheek didn't discourage him – Severus couldn't deny it was exactly the sort of reply Lily would have given.

Beginning the lesson, Severus shifted focus. The first years were making a cure for boils, and he needed to determine dunderheads from walking disasters. He thought Longbottom would be the first to melt a cauldron, but the Gryffindor boy was saved by Draco – who whispered reminders when Longbottom was most confused. Harry's partner was Weasley, who frowned almost as much as Longbottom but fared less hazardously with his tasks.

Dried nettles were weighed, snake fangs crushed, and horned slugs stewed. Harry passed extra porcupine quills to Longbottom, and proceeded to the next step – he worked much faster than his twin.

'Very good, Potter.' Severus peered into Harry's cauldron at the end of lesson. He glanced into Draco's cauldron, nodding with approval.

Weasley and Longbottom's results were decent enough, and Granger produced a near-perfect Cure for Boils, but he reserved praise and points for Slytherins. The twins earned their encouraging remarks, but he won't make a habit of it lest his reputation take damage.

'Class dismissed!' Severus barked

Harry lingered behind his brother and friends, turning at the doorway to give Severus a small smile.

With students gone, he could release his breath of surprise. He marched from the classroom, glaring at anyone he passed, until safely hidden away in his private quarters. Collapsing into an armchair, Severus hung his head and wondered how his expectations had been so horribly dismantled.

There was a translucent vase sitting alone on his mantel, sparkling water holding the long stem of a lily. The flower barely held together its battered, white petals. Despite his countless preservation charms, the enchanted flower wilted since its castor died that night in Godric's Hollow.

Severus brought the vase there the day he'd moved into Hogwarts as a Professor. The morning of his first day teaching, he'd made a promise long since forgotten. He'd sworn to Lily that, when the time came, he'd be the sort of teacher her sons could rely on. He'd teach them the wonders of Potions, which she had such keen interest in and skill for.

His love for her, strong as it was, did not alter his teaching methods and now he needed to amend his original plan.

He'd give the twins a trial run. Severus made up his mind, and refused to second-guess until he saw how the boys really were. Heart weighed with grief, he glanced at the flower and considered how proud Lily would be of her sons during their first Potions class.

A healthy, green leaf sprouted from the stem. 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3391