MINDSCAPE - The Healing Journey by chrmisha
Summary: When an Occlumency lesson goes wrong, Snape learns more about Harry’s past than he ever wanted to—and it changes everything. But change doesn’t come easily, especially for two who have spent five years loathing each other’s very existence. Can Snape and Harry come to a mutual understanding of sorts to defeat their greatest enemy—themselves? Spring of 5th year, A/U. Completely written and posted in chapter installments.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Original Character
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Rape, Romance/Het, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 98424 Read: 235232 Published: 26 May 2017 Updated: 31 Oct 2017
Chapter 23 by chrmisha

Potter’s mind was a mess. In his panic, he’d caused complete chaos. Colors whirled in every direction, a cacophony of noises echoed, and in the center of it all stood Potter, pulling on his hair, screaming as if in agony.

“Potter!” Snape shouted in his most commanding and intimidating voice. “Calm yourself this instant.” Much to Snape’s amazement, everything stopped. “Get control of yourself, Mr. Potter. This is no way to behave.” His voice was harsh, but he needed the boy to get a grip.

The colors that had been spinning so violently around them settled to the ground like confetti and the sound faded away.

“I can’t see,” Potter said in despair.

“So what,” Snape retorted. “So you’re blind. Big deal. Get over it. Lots of people are blind.”

Potter looked at him as though Snape had just slapped him. Snape watched as tears pooled in Lily’s beautiful, but unseeing, green eyes.

“I can’t be blind,” Potter said.

“Why not?” Snape snapped.

“Because, I just can’t be. How will I fly? How will I catch the Snitch?”

“Potter, if you want to fly, you will fly. If you want to catch the bloody Snitch, you’ll catch it.”

“But how?” Potter asked.

“I’ll help you. Now enough with the pity party. Your friends are waiting to see you and they won’t care if you’re blind either. For some reason, they seem to love you no matter what.”

Potter just stood there, looking stunned.

  “What is it now, Potter?” Snape asked.

“You’ll help me?” the boy asked.

“Of course I’ll help you. I’m not a monster, you know.”

Harry gave him a lopsided grin. “Could’ve fooled me.”

Snape’s heart settled in his chest and he let out his breath. It was a gamble, this no-nonsense approach, but it had worked. At least for now, and now was all they needed.

“So,” Snape said, “are you ready to talk to your friends?”

“Yeah,” Harry said. “Yeah, okay.”

“And, Potter?” Snape put his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “You’ll get through this. We’ll all help you get through this. All right?”

“Yeah, okay.” Potter said. “And, Professor?”

“Yes, Potter?”

“You’re squishing me.”

Snape laughed aloud and pulled out of Potter‘s head.


Snape stood up so he wasn’t squishing the teen any longer, but he still held Potter’s wrists, just in case.

Ron, who was laying over Potter’s legs to keep them on the bed, looked to Snape for confirmation that he could get up but Snape shook his head.

Potter opened his unseeing eyes and said, “It’s okay. I’m okay now. You can let go.”

Immediately, Mr. Weasley released Potter’s legs, but Snape still held his wrists. “Mr. Potter,” he said, “before you sit up, let Healer Cook finish examining you.”

“Okay,” Potter said, closing his eyes and relaxing on the bed.

“It wonna hurt a bit,” Covey soothed, her hands still cupping the boy‘s head as they had been since Snape had held him down. “Can ye feel me?”

“Yeah,” Potter said. “You feel warm and tingly.”

“Tis me magic touchin’ yers,” she said. “I’m gonna place me fingers on yer eyes now, aye?”

“Okay.”

Snape watched as Covey gently slid her fingertips over the boy’s eyes.

“Harry, have ye ever lost yer sight b’fore?” Covey asked.

“No,” Potter said.

“Do ye remember ever havin‘ a head injury?”

Potter shook his head, “No, not that I can remember.”

Snape glanced sharply at Covey, knowing all too well that Potter’s ‘head injury’ had been a fatal one and the only thing that had saved the boy was Potter’s own magic initially and, later on, all of them working together to save the boy.

Covey made a sound of encouragement as she slid her fingers to Potter’s forehead and then to his temples. “When yer eyes are open, Harry, what do ye see?”

“Nothing,” Potter responded. “Just darkness. Everything’s black.”

Snape spoke up then. “Can you perceive changes in light? Shadows? Motion?”

Harry took a deep breath. “No, sir, nothing at all.”

“Yer doin’ a great job, Harry,” Covey murmured, running her fingers down Potter’s cheeks and neck.

Potter‘s body shook like a wet dog. “Sorry,” he said, “that tickles.”

“Tis quite alright,” Covey said around a smile. “All done.” She slid her fingers off of Harry and smiled reassuringly at Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley. “Ye did great, Harry. Ye may sit up now.”

Snape looked at her for any indication of what she had found. Her smile never wavered but she shook her head minutely, whether because it was hopeless or because she didn’t want to speak in front of Potter and his friends, he wasn’t sure.

“Ye must be famished, Harry,” Covey said. “Would ye like some lunch?”

“Yes, please,” Potter said, sitting up and rubbing his palms on his pajama pants.

“I will have the house-elves bring you something,” Snape said, looking to Covey for direction.

“We will let ye catch up with yer friends while ye eat, Harry, aye?”

“Ron and Hermione are still here?” Harry asked.

“Yes,” Miss Granger said, taking Harry’s hand in hers and giving it a squeeze.

“We’re right here, mate,” Ron said. “We aren’t going anywhere.”

“Ron’s right,” Hermione said. “You’re stuck with us.”

Snape watched a small smile flit across Harry’s face and felt relief wash over him. If Potter was truly blind, he’d have a long road ahead of him and he’d need his friends.

Snape took his leave, following Covey into Poppy’s office. Poppy wasn’t there, which meant she was most likely informing the headmaster of Potter’s condition.

“Lina,” Snape said, summoning his favorite house-elf.

A pop sounded and an elf appeared in the uniform of a tea towel with the Hogwarts crest on it. “How may I serve you, Master Snape, sir?”

“Please prepare a lunch tray for Mr. Potter. Make sure that he is able to easily eat all of the foods with his hands. No silverware.”

“Right away, Master Snape, sir.”

“Shall we go my quarters?” Snape asked Covey, unsure if she’d want to stay near Potter or not.

“Aye,” she said, taking Snape’s hand as she led them to Poppy’s floo.

Sitting on the sofa in his study, Earl Grey curled happily in her lap, Covey spoke. “Physically, Harry is perfectly healthy,” Covey said. “There is no physiological reason fer his lack o’ sight.”

Snape considered her words. “Any theories as to why he is blind, then?”

“My guess,” Covey said, “is that he was temporarily blinded after his uncle attacked him. Then, either due to time or his magic, or both, he regained his vision.”

Snape nodded, considering her words.

“Tis also possible,” Covey said more gravely, “that he’s choosin’ ta be blind. Not consciously, o’ course,” Covey added. “But he donna remember the head injury that almost took his life, twice. So he might be blockin’ that memory an’ it’s manifestin’ itself by takin’ his vision, ye ken?“

“Is that possible?” Snape asked.

“Aye,” Covey said. “I’ve seen it before, though not as blindness, ken, but as other physical disabilities.” Sighing, Covey added, “In essence, his subconscious might’ve decided it’d rather be blind then have that memory.”

“How do we determine the root cause?” Snape asked.

“I think we should talk ta the Stanleys,” Covey said. “I’m guessin’ they’d know more about this sort o’ thing, aye?”

Snape nodded; it couldn’t hurt.

“There’s one other thin’,” Covey said.

Snape was leaning against the fireplace mantel, something he tended to do when he was contemplating a particularly difficult problem.

“He canna stay in the dorms. Not if ye all want ta keep his condition quiet, aye?”

Snape straightened. “That’s true.”

“An’ he canna stay in the hospital wing indefinitely either, aye?”

“I am sure the headmaster can arrange for Potter to have a private room,” Snape said.

“Aye,” Covey said, “but it isna safe fer him ta be alone right now, an’ not because he’s blind. If his subconscious is hidin’ his memories from him, when they come out, he could seriously injure himself.”

Snape was suddenly suspicious. “What are you saying, witch?”

Covey smiled slyly. “I’m sayin’ that the best place fer Harry would be here, in yer quarters, where we can keep an eye on him.”

Snape groaned and sank into a chair, his head in his hands. Glancing up through his fingers, he looked at the brilliant witch he’d fallen in love with. “I can see why Albus likes you so much. You two think alike.”

Covey grinned and continued to stroke his cat, who seemed to fancy her just as much as the headmaster did.

Sighing in resignation, Snape pushed to his feet. “We might as well go talk to the barmy old wizard. I’m sure he’ll be delighted by your conclusions. Plus, I’ll need his permission to add a room for the boy.”

Covey eased Earl Gray off her lap and came to stand by Snape. She stood on tiptoes and kissed his cheek.

“I’ll need better than that for housing Potter,” he growled.

“Will ye?” she said, taking his face in her hands and kissing him more firmly.

Moaning, he pulled the saucy witch against him, deepening the kiss and relishing in the feel of her body pressed tightly against his.


Snape and Covey returned to the hospital wing to find the trio sitting around a table playing wizard’s chess. Weasley was black, Potter was white, and Granger was narrating and helping Potter to find and move his pieces. Black was winning by a wide margin.

Snape saw Potter stiffen when the door to the hospital wing opened.

“It’s fine,” Hermione said soothingly. “It’s just Professor Snape and Healer Cook.”

“Do ye mind if we join ye?” Covey asked.

“Sure,” Potter said, looking in the direction of her voice.

Snape conjured two chairs, and Granger and Weasley scooted closer to Potter to make room for them.

“Harry, there are some thin’s Professor Snape an’ I would like ta discuss with ye.”

Potter nodded, seemingly resigned to his fate.

“Tis up ta ye whether ye’d like yer friends ta stay or not,” Covey said, placing a gentle hand over Potter‘s, which lay resting on the table.

Potter considered this a moment and then said, “I‘d like them to stay.”

Covey, as well as Weasley and Granger, smiled. “Aye,” she said. “First, do ye have any questions?”

“Do you know what’s wrong with my eyes?” Potter asked immediately.

Snape met Covey’s glance and nodded as Weasley and Granger looked on.

Gently, Covey said, “Nothin’ is wrong with yer eyes, Harry. Nor yer brain. Everythin’ is in perfect workin’ order.”

“Then why can’t I see?” Harry asked.

That is the question,” Snape said.

Everyone around the table was silent for a moment.

“We have some thoughts on that, Harry, but we’d like ta run them by yer Muggle therapists first, aye?”

Harry nodded, looking disheartened and confused.

“If you prefer, Mr. Potter, we can bring the Stanleys here to Hogwarts so you don’t have to venture into London today,” Snape offered.

“That would be great,” Potter said, toying with a fallen chess piece with his free hand. “So, if there’s nothing wrong, then you can’t heal me?” he said, attempting to look in Covey’s direction but gazing to the side of her instead.

“Nay Harry, tis not somethin’ I can fix for ye.”

Potter’s shoulders slumped. “That’s okay,” he said, “I’m not sure I could go through another healing session anyway.”

“I do have one wee bit o’ good news,” Covey said, squeezing Potter’s hand gently. “When we worked on ye this mornin’, I was able ta finish the rest of yer healin’. There wasna much left anyway, but yer right as rain now, ye ken?”

“Except I can’t see,” Potter lamented.

“Harry, we will do everythin’ in our power ta help ye see again, ye have me word,” Covey reassured him.

“And even,” Hermione said, swallowing audibly, “even if we don’t find a cure, Harry, we will never stop trying, and Ron and I, we will always be by your side.”

“Yeah, mate,” Ron said, “You can count on us.”

“Thanks,” Potter said.

“There is one more issue we need to discuss,” Snape said, watching as Potter turned his head toward him. “The headmaster feels it would be best to make alternate living arrangements for you until this issue is resolved.”

Potter stilled, apprehension coming off of him in waves. “What do you mean, sir?”

Snape grimaced. He was a very private man. It was one thing having Covey stay with him, but the thought of opening his private quarters to not only Potter, but also Potter’s care staff and friends, was irksome at best. At least it was only temporary, as Covey reminded him whenever his thoughts went down this path.

Snape looking to Covey imploringly.

Laughing lightly, Covey squeezed Harry’s hand. “We’d like ye ta stay with us.”

“Us?” Potter asked.

“Professor Snape an’ me,” Covey said, “in his quarters.”

Weasley choked and Hermione, looking equally surprised, patted Ron on the back as he coughed and spluttered.

Snape scowled at the playful grin Covey gave him. “They’d have worked it out sooner or later,” Covey said, leaning over and kissing Severus on the cheek.

Damn it all to hell, but Snape felt himself blush.

Covey laughed even harder. Leaning in to whisper in Potter’s ear, though not quite quietly enough, she said, “His bark is worse than his bite.”

Snape cleared his throat. “I know that staying with me, Mr. Potter, would not be your first choice. However, it is not feasible for you to live in the infirmary, and we would prefer not to advertise the fact that you have lost your vision, hopefully only temporarily, to the children of Death Eaters. Therefore, with Covey in residence,” Snape said, glaring at Covey who waggled her eyebrows cheekily in return, “it would seem that my quarters would be the most suitable choice.”

“What about his classes?” Granger asked.

Sighing loudly and pinching his brow, Snape said, “I presumed that you and Mr. Weasley would tutor him.”

Granger’s mouth formed an “O” of surprise, while Weasley grinned.

“They can visit me? In your quarters?” Potter asked.

“Of course,” Snape said. “Although you will endeavor not to drive me insane during your stay.”

“Donna worry, Harry, I’ll keep ye safe,” Covey teased.

Potter smiled, thought he still looked unsure.

“The castle’s already made ye yer own suite o’ rooms” Covey said. “It even gave ye yer own fireplace, so yer friends can come an’ go directly, ye ken?”

Covey hadn’t said as much, but Snape had insisted on that point. If Potter and his friends were going to be socializing at all hours of the day and night, the least they could do was not bother him about it. He had very little free time and what time he did have, he did not want to be continuously interrupted by the constant traipsings of Potter’s friends Flooing in and out.

“When do I move in?” Potter asked, sounding downtrodden.

“If the arrangement is amenable to you, Mr. Potter, we can relocate your belongings now.” Snape paused before adding, “Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley are welcome to accompany you.” Snape smirked inwardly at the looks of astonishment on Potter’s friends’ faces.

Potter took a deep breath. “You’ll be there too, Healer Covey?”

“Aye, Harry, I will be.”

“Ok,” Harry said. “I guess now is as good a time as any.”

“Do you want me to get his things, sir?” Weasley asked.

“That won’t be necessary. The house-elves will move his belongings,” Snape informed them.

“What should we tell the others?” Ms. Granger asked.

“The headmaster is working on that as we speak,” Snape replied. “He’ll make an announcement tonight at dinner.”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3401