Start of time by Hopeless Wanderer
Summary: a respond to Spring Fic Fest! "What makes the little bastard think I don't care about him?"

That was the question that Severus Snape asked himself everyday since last week. The question that revolved around his son's latest temper tantrum since last week. And the same damn question that didn't leave him alone no matter what he did.
He even woke up with the thought swirling in his mind. What had he done to make Harry think he was being neglected?
Categories: Healer Snape, Fic Fests > #22 Spring fest 2017 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Hermione, James, Molly, Other, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Out of Character, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: No Word count: 129608 Read: 51116 Published: 14 Jun 2017 Updated: 05 Sep 2018
Chapter 1 by Hopeless Wanderer
Author's Notes:
*EDITED.

Warnings for; Explicit use of language, Past child abuse, Child neglect, Spanking is only mentioned.
-What makes the little Bastard think I don't care about him?

That, was the question that Severus Snape asked himself every day since last week. The question that revolved around his son's latest temper tantrum since last week. In addition, the damn question that didn't leave him alone no matter what he did.

He even woke up with the thought swirling in his mind. What had he done to make Harry think he was being neglected?

Severus was a good parent. He knew that, even if he wasn't the best, he was always there for his son, no matter the situation, Harry always came first. Now be it clothes, or his job, or his love life, his position in the school… in every situation Harry was first. It was always about Harry's comfort. If he was hot or cold, hungry or sad, had been arguing or had deserved a detention.

Ever since Severus Snape adopted Harry after his parents abounded him, it had always been Harry.

And the potion master held no grudges against the boy for that, he loved caring for Harry. Severus had no qualms in showing his son and the rest of the world just how much he loved being a father.

Harry was always dubious, always self-conscious about his self-worth, ever since James and Lily had left the child in the streets, with nowhere to go to. Telling him, just how much they hated him and no one could ever care for him.

That was mainly reason why Severus always made sure to be two steps ahead of his son, sometimes even to the point of spoiling him when Harry went through one of his episodes.

It was absolutely terrifying; the boy would completely shut down, lying motionless on his bed for days until something snapped him out of it. Severus was going out of his mind, desperately trying to find the reason.

There was just so many things to worry about and reel over. He gritted his teeth when he found out the reason for his child’s severe depression. Lily and James didn't just neglect the child in favor of the younger one, they out right abused him. It made his blood boil, knowing that his longtime friend, Lily who had known just how destructive abuse could be. Turned into an abuser.

After that sudden discovery, he stepped into great lengths to make sure Harry was always loved and happy. He always knew what Harry wanted, before the child could even open his mouth. Of course Severus never out right spoiled him, spoiling was a form of abuse itself, and Snape was vehemently against disrupting a balanced childhood. However, learning that his son never had any toys or never had eaten an ice cream, broke his heart.

Harry, always the kind, loving boy, never took advantage of it. Never, did he whine or disagreed with him when he knew that Severus was right. He even took to calling Severus dad shortly after being rescued; it came so naturally to him that Snape wondered if he had ever called James by his title.

Ever since the child was six, it had always been him and Severus, with the exception of his annoying friends Granger and Weasley, who still hated him as much as he hated them. However, that was no reason to withhold his son from seeing his friends. Therefore, he had tolerated their presence down in his Chambers or in his home twice a week. Ignoring them as much as they kept ignoring him while they visited. The three of them strictly following their truce and retreating when it came to Harry.

It had been so normal for the two of them to wake up at noon. Or take turns to clean the house or do the laundry, or enjoy their evening sessions- always filled with a sugar-hyped Harry describing his day for his dad- and expecting advice when needed, excitedly telling him about his grades, just to see Severus smile at him or tell him how proud he was of Harry.

Life wasn’t easy for them, and never boring, not for Harry anyways.

Severus nearly had a heart attack when he heard Harry facing a mountain troll, or when he saw him trashing on his cursed broom. He, /physically/ felt a few white strands of hair sprang out when he found Harry and his friends unconscious in the hospital wing.

And that was only the beginning, it was also the first time he had ever punished or lectured Harry. He could barely believe it himself, his Harry, kind, Angel-like Harry, who didn't even think about breaking the rules had broken down almost /every/ rule in the school, got past the traps and had went after the damn stone. Explicitly after Snape told him not to.

He even convinced himself to blame it on Weasley and Granger, claiming that they had been a bad influence on his son, and that he wanted Harry removed from the Gryffindor dormitories and back in his own room.

For a moment there, Harry looked almost stunned as Severus listed off the school rules /and/ the personal rules he had broken. The child had then hanged his head down in shame, and to everyone's horror started crying. Severus had frozen mid lecture, pondering whether he was too harsh on Harry or not. That, was officially the moment Granger and Weasley started hating him.

He rushed to Harry's side, asking if he was in pain of not, and more than ready to call Poppy if needed. The child shook his head and continued crying, Severus, at his wits end, ended up pulling the boy in his lap, hugging the child to his chest and muttering sweet words in his ear to calm him down.

/him/, Severus Snape, the bat of dungeons, the greasy git on his /first/ year at Hogwarts, sat there on a dingy hospital bed with his son on his lap, comforting him in front of a jovial Dumbledore and two gaping Gryffindors. His ego never recovered. After finally asking why Harry was crying, Harry tearfully reminded him that he would throw him away, and that he was sorry to be such a stupid useless freak.

Just like that, years of progress seemed to have faded into dust, after all, it was Harry’s first major screw up, and much to the potion’s master disdain… not his last.
That small, yet sudden breakdown, led Severus to another discovery; the boy's aunt and uncle, whom Harry had stayed with every summer before being picked up by James and Lily. They were terrified of magic, which led them to push Harry around at every whim and over petty reasons, calling him names and then reporting his /freakish/ behavior to James and Lily. Something Severus only vaguely knew about up until that day.

Snape had almost committed murder the night he learned the information. The night after the infirmary accident, when he tried to punish Harry by spanking him. After nearly sending Harry into another hysterical fit, Severus swore to never raise his hand on his son, ever again.

He punished Harry by taking away privileges, or in extreme cases, which hardly happened at all; he would make him sort out the disgusting ingredients, or make him scrub cauldrons, threatening to do so until Harry's fingers fell off.

His son took him very seriously, and never did anything the whole summer.

Severus almost wished he had, after the second year came around. Aside from the Dobby incident, and the warning letter from the ministry, Harry had been miserable when the whole school found out that he was a Parseltongue. The Gryffindors, all except for his friends turned their backs on him and the whole chamber of secrets fiasco happened in the midst.

Even the Hufflepuffs thought that Harry was Slytherin's heir. The twelve year old was devastated, of course, and Severus felt responsible for not stopping Harry from talking to the snake, or being quick enough to banish the thing.

Granger's petrified figure was the last straw, sending his son, and Weasley, once again in danger. Down in the /chamber of secrets / with that idiot Lockheart following them while Snape was too busy making the potion that would return the petrified students all to their normal states.

The boy had /fought / a giant basilisk! Of all things. Of course, there just had to be a bloody Basilisk larking down in that chamber. Even the thought made him nauseous.

Harry had battled the reptile, killed it by stabbing it through its mouth and being poisoned in the process. He was /poisoned/ by a basilisk-the deadliest, most venomous magical creature there was-Severus's heart did give out that night, he had spent the night with Harry and Granger in the hospital wing, lecturing the boy within an inch of his life and grounding him for the whole summer, which Weasley thought was very unfair.

It was startling to see the differences, between his innocent sweet six year old son, who always obeyed him and loved him, kissing him on the cheek every day and telling him how much loved him no matter the public to this accident prone Harry, who always endangered his life to save the others.

Breaking the rules as if they were naught. Even going so far as to /steal/ from him to make a dangerous NEWTS level potion in a bathroom. Three twelve years Olds.

Severus really wanted to spank the boy that night, spitting in rage and worry at the same time, switching between the worried dotting single dad, to a shouting mess.

That night, was the first night Harry had ever argued with him. Claiming that he had to do what he had done because there was a life at risk and he was the only one who knew Parseltongue in the school. Severus stood his ground, saying that as Harry's parent, he had every right to pull Harry out of the school now, knowing that they would hire him as soon as he resigned from his post at Hogwarts.

That made Weasley and Granger hate him even more.

That was also the first time that Harry gave him the silent treatment. The first time that he stopped kissing him on the cheek every morning and the following week in silent rebellion. Severus was angry, beyond his imagination, and had done nothing when the boy stopped his evening sessions.

They apologized a week after that, Severus finally feeling guilty for shouting at Harry in front of the whole infirmary, and Harry admitting that he was scared to death and needed insurance instead of yells and shouts.

A week after Harry's birthday, Severus met her. Janet Luciano, shopping in an apothecary store at the same time as him, also a potion mistress, with shiny black hair and blue startling eyes.

They started out as friends; a coffee here or there, or an outing with Harry often tagging along. They had so much in common, their hobbies, talents, likes and dislikes... Everything matched.

Severus couldn't help but get more interested. And so was Janet. They started dating by the time Harry started his third year, and progressing each day, falling passionately for each other.

Severus couldn't be happier, everything was in place, he had a son, a loving girlfriend and a good career, life was good.

And Harry.... Well Harry did say that he was happy for the both of them, giving his blessing when Janet decided to move in with them. Janet absolutely adored Harry, already acting like a doting mother, making his favorite foods, packing him clothes and doing what every other mother did. Harry, on the other hand... Was not as happy.

He hid it well in front of Janet, Severus gave him that, but the potion master knew his son better than that, he could read distrust and disdain all over him as they interacted with each other, he saw how Harry made subtle faces as he saw Janet occasionally calling him son, or making his favorite food. He let it go unnoticed for three other weeks, before he couldn't take it anymore.

He had asked Harry if he was still fine with his choice in partner and Harry had once again given his blessing, admitting that he was a little over worked because of his studies. Severus never believed him, but let it slip again.

The relationship progressed even further, by June that year Severus was considering to ask Janet to marry him. At first, he felt like he was rushing it, but then decided that he would propose after Harry's birthday, and they could wait a few years to get married. He had noticed how Janet had been dropping hints every now and then, and he felt like there was no need to wait around anymore.

This time, Harry was speechless. He asked the boy two weeks before his birthday, when he had spent his summer with Black and Lupin and was pressing Severus to spend the rest with the Weasleys for the Quidditch cup.

Severus knew that it would be a hard blow; Harry was a very sensitive and insecure boy, and as soon as he starts to feel threatened, there was no stopping him. Maybe that was why he hated Janet so much.

"Alright. Fine." he replied nonchalantly. Severus asked several times, making sure that his son was /totally okay / with Severus proposing. It wasn't like they were going to get married right then anyway.

Weasley and Granger, made their protests known-not as subtly as their friend-and so did Black and Lupin. But Severus once again shrugged it off. This was /his/ love life, not theirs. He didn't care about their opinions anyway. Harry was the only one who mattered.

Janet threw a huge birthday party for Harry, and Severus couldn't be any more ecstatic to see them get along together. Everything was moving smoothly for the first time. However... Dinner wasn't as uneventful.

She had made a big cake with red icing and fourteen candles; there was nothing wrong with it. It was even chocolate, Harry's favorite flavor. If it weren’t for the writing on the cake, everything would have been fine.

The green icing, scribbled on the top of the cake elegantly, was the last straw for Harry.

You're gonna be a big brother.

Harry had shut down. At first, the others were concerned, gathering around the birthday boy, who was watching the cake with a scandalized expression. His eyes were huge and his lips trembling. Severus was the first, asking if he was okay, but then, he too, read the icing. His eyes bulged, switching between the cake and Janet who was watching Harry with a concerned expression and happily glanced at Severus at the same time.

The potion master didn't waste any time, he walked to Janet and kissed the love of his life right there and then, with Harry still in shock.

Maybe, that was the last straw.

Harry surged out of his feet and knocked his chair down. His hands clamped in fists and his breath whizzing.

"You just had to do it didn't you?! Ruining my life! Since the day you came into it!" His voice was raw, haggard with emotions.

"Harry!" Severus called, completely shocked at Harry's behavior. "Don't talk to her like that! Apologize now!"

Harry didn't even blink. "See what you've done to him?! To /my / dad?!! You stole him from me! You monster! You ruined my life!"

"Harry!" this was Mrs. Weasley's indignant voice coming from the corner.

"What is wrong with you?! I didn't raise you like this! Apologize to her now!" Severus yelled, walking up to Harry. The heaving boy turned to him with a disgusted expression.

"Why? Why do you always take her side?! She's a stranger! I'm your son! And yet... You're not my dad, I hate you!" Sirius started walking toward them, to break out the fight somehow.

"What did I do Harry? Did I say something, or done something that you..."

"Shut up! It's your mere existence! You stole him away from me, you couldn't stop yourself could you?! It's always about YOU!"

He eyed the cake with disdain. "Janet is this, Janet is that! You... You always have to do it somehow, take him away from me."

"Harry stop." Severus grabbed the boy's wrist, turning him to face him. Harry was flushed with anger, his lips still trembling.

"Isn't it true? That bitch fucking rui..." Harry gasped, he's head titling to the side, the sharp sound of the slap spreading in the room like thunder. No one dared to breathe as Harry slowly turned his head, tears finally streaming down his face.

"I didn't raise you like a hooligan Harry James! Show some respect!" he was horrified with himself, he had sworn to never raise his hand on his child and he just slapped him, right in front of /everyone/.

Harry's lips were parted, but no sound came out.

"I knew it. I always knew it was all pretending. It always starts with a slap doesn't it? After that baby is born, you're gonna throw me out in the streets, just like /they/ did. I knew it was all a game to you and that bitch." He spat the last word.

" I hate you, all of you. Don't bother throwing me out, I'm going myself. " He then yanked his hand out of a Severus's shocked grasp and ran out of the door, leaving all of the guests bewildered and dumbstruck.

Severus was still standing there as the Weasleys awkwardly departed, assuring them that Harry had probably gone to the barrow, Sirius and Remus weren't as forgiving and stayed to search the area, looking if they could find Harry and take him home.

Janet was horrified in indignation. "Sev, I had no idea he would react that way! I swear! I thought he loved babies, I didn't..." she looked lost, clutching at her hair as the couple surveyed the house, presents unopened and the cake lying there like a cursed object.

"It's okay. I'll talk to him, he's not a violent person. Something had happened." He ran a hand through his hair, thoroughly distraught, had he really hit Harry? His son? His little angel? And in front of his friends no less, in front of everyone. Oh merlin, he was a terrible father.

He didn't mean to, he was sure of it. He already felt petty and pathetic for doing so. All of the sudden anger and adrenalin leaving his system, leaving him with Harry's pained speech.

"Did you find him?" Janet surged to her feet, greeting the pissed off men at the door.

Sirius shook his head, throwing a glare at the couple. "He's not in the area, probably at the barrow, Remus is contacting Molly." he said coldly, leaning against the door.

"Sirius I didn't mean to hurt him, you know that, I thought this would cheer him up!" She tried to explain herself, sighing in frustration.

"I'm not siding with Harry for insulting you, but I think you could've waited a little. Harry felt so excited about this birthday, and you just stole the spot light and all that shit. I would've been angry."

He looked away, twiddling with his thumb. Remus nodded his head. "He's at the barrow, with Ron, but refuses to come out of the barn. His magic has locked all of the doors." Severus walked to Remus.

"Is floo available?" Remus glared.

"I think it's better if you let him be, he sounded upset." the werewolf said calmly and nodded to Sirius.

"We'll be picking Harry up tomorrow for some winding up, you can talk to him later." they said and apparated instantly, leaving no room for argument.

"This is all my fault." she started crying silently, sinking down in her seat. Severus shook his head, drawing the distraught woman in his arms. "It was my fault, I've been neglecting him lately."

And anxiously, he realized that yes, he was really neglecting his son.

When was the last time that he had spent some time with him? Read to him? Helped him with his homework? Talked to him? Harry was an abused child, he needed instant reassuring no matter the age, and Severus had been neglecting his duty as a parent for over a year now.

He felt like the worst person alive, suddenly Weasley's and Granger's glaring didn't look as irrational anymore.

He mulled over Harry's earlier words, did the child really thought that they would throw him out of the house? Or forget about him just because there was another child coming up?

Severus had told Harry repeatedly that he loved him. Hadn't he?

"Maybe we should call it off for a while, move with his pace." She suggested, snuggling in his arms. Snape shook his head.

"We need to talk to him first." The potion master said firmly, kissing his girlfriend on the top of her head.

"I didn't mean to steal you from him."

"He's a teenager Jan, we'll be fine." At least he hoped so.
To be continued...
End Notes:
*I finally went through this chapter, plucked out the typos and fixed as many grammatical mistakes as i could find . I wanted to edit the earlier chapters for a long time. Please, feel free to tell me if I left something out.

Have fun ;)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3405