Forever and a Day by RonnieLepkowitz
Summary: With the anniversary of the defeat of Voldemort fast approaching, the Wizarding World is finding it hard to bounce back. It is then that a certain Trio (plus one) find a chance to fix things the first time around far too good an opportunity to pass up. Harry hopes to save those he lost, including a certain Potions Master.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charity Burbage, Draco, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Time Travel
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 101471 Read: 40069 Published: 18 Jun 2017 Updated: 04 Jul 2021
Chapter 10 by RonnieLepkowitz
Author's Notes:
A fun encounter with a pair of trainers and a new friendship forged. :)

As dinner neared, Harry and Ron had just enough time to make a pit stop in the common room before making the long walk back. Harry was glad for it though, as he was emotionally exhausted and was tired of lugging his books around. Featherlight Charms worked but it still annoying to have something slung about his shoulders for so long. He was far more used to his old hip holster when he was in Auror training before he began his plans with Draco on the time turner.

He and Ron shared a companionable silence as they walked (after Harry had explained—as simply as he could—what exactly a movie was after Ron had asked) and soon they found themselves at the Fat Lady.

"Password?" she asked sassily. Harry smirked, but unable to shake the feeling she looked familiar. He felt like he had seen her face on the telly on one of the rare occasions the Dursleys let him linger for a look during his chores in the house.

Oh well, that was a silly thought, how could he have seen her on the telly of all things?

"Mea Culpa." Harry uttered softly. The Lady looked a tad put out he remembered it and said with a good natured snark, "Oh alright, go on! Get in you two!"

The two boys climbed in and found Ginny sitting on the couch with Neville and Hermione. They got out of the way just in time as a lot of Gryffindors were making their way out to the Great Hall. One of whom being Oliver Wood, who gave Harry a quick ruffle of the hair in greeting before slipping out. Boy, Harry had sure missed Oliver too. He was a good guy, really. Maybe a bit Quidditch obsessed, but as far as vices go, that was a tame one.

"Well, what'd we miss?" Ron asked genially, sitting by Hermione on the arm of the couch which she was nestled into.

"The others have been talking about what happened in your classes after lunch." Ginny answered, though her voice got a bit timid when Harry joined them.

"Great." Harry sighed, letting his bookbag fall on the floor in a thud.

"I reckon it will be all over the school after dinner…" Neville moped, not thrilled either. "Snape's gonna go mental when he finds out what I did to my boggart."

"Don't worry about it. Serves him right." Ron huffed.

Harry just wiped his face beneath his glasses again, tired. Tired of Snape's pettiness, tired of Ron's animosity and tired from the entire day.

"I think I'm gonna skip dinner." Harry declared after a moment, and after another group of students left through the portrait hole. The common room was growing ever more quiet as everyone made their way downstairs.

"Harry…" Hermione chastised, knowing he needed to eat.

"I'll be fine Herms. I just want some peace and quiet…and anyway, my stomach is still in knots. Besides, I don't eat so much in the beginning of term, remember?" Harry said, gathering his books back up.

Neville and Ginny looked rather confused but Ron and Hermione understood. Even at his time in the Burrow Harry had not eaten that much. His body, though stressed from a lot more than normal teenage wizard worries, was still deprived from his time at the Dursleys.

"You want us to stay with you then?" Hermione asked.

"Nah, I'll be fine. See you after." Harry called as he made his way to the Third-Year boy's dormitory.

Harry went to rummage through his trunk for some extra parchment, grabbed one of the books he and Hermione had checked out (this being the one on Animagi) and switched it out with his school books from the afternoon. Oh, but he decided he should get that summary done for Remus as well. Harry stashed his DADA textbook back into the bag. He then plunked back down to see his friends had already left. With a content sigh, he made his own way back out but instead of turning to the direction of the Great Hall he pushed forward to where the library was.

On his way he spotted a Ravenclaw, by the looks of her uniform, gazing in slight concentration at some rafters above.

"Luna?" he called, coming up to where she stood. She turned her gaze to him, her face brightening slightly in recognition.

"Harry Potter, how are you?" she asked, vaguely happy sounding.

Harry, relieved to see her and knowing she wouldn't judge him for being honest, he replied, "I'm a bit twitchy tonight. Had a bit of a rough afternoon."

"Oh, that's too bad." Said Luna but her voice hadn't changed tone so Harry knew she wasn't angry or pitying on his behalf—she just was. "Things will look up for you soon, as even a phoenix but first burst into flames before it is reborn."

Harry smiled at that analogy. "I see. Pain must be endured before the light of a new day, eh?"

Luna gave him a small smile. "Exactly." She turned to looking up into the ceiling almost. "You're much smarter than the others say."

Harry snorted. "Thanks." He knew, coming from Luna, it was not meant to be mean.

"So, what about you? You doing alright?" He asked of her, adjusting the strap of his bag.

"I'm fine, Harry Potter." Luna answered in that breathless, dreamy way she always did.

Harry looked up where she looked, and saw a pair of trainers tied at the end of one of the low rising beams. Glancing down at Luna's feet, he saw that besides her socks they were bare.

"Nargles get at your shoes?" Harry asked seriously. Lune looked back to him with small surprise.

"Why, yes. You've seen them?" she asked, a bit of her almost-white blonde hair falling from her shoulder.

"I've a bit of experience with them. Annoying little blighters." Harry conversationally put. He had a terrible, nagging suspicion that the "Nargles" weren't actually the reason behind Luna's stolen possessions. Harry's countenance darkened when he considered that Luna was being bullied, albeit subtly to escape her notice.

Or perhaps knew but did not see the merit in making a big deal out of it, as Harry had also witnessed in their friendship over the years.

Either way, Luna resumed focusing her gaze on the shoes. They seemed to sway a bit but that was it.

"Have you tried to get them down?" Harry asked, feeling a bit daft for doing so. He was never on the right footing when spending time with Luna. Not that it was uncomfortable, but it did make him feel younger than he was.

But Harry kind of liked that.

"Oh yes." Luna replied simply, now twisting a bit so her skirt twirled in her movements. She looked so calm and at ease. Harry really envied her of that.

"But the Nargles seemed to have used some sort of sticking charm, impervious to my counter-charms." She sighed just a wee bit here. "I have since been trying to see if I can move it with my mind."

Harry tried to hide a chuckle. Luna certainly was full of unconventional ideas. "Any luck?"

"Mmm…not yet. But it's only a matter of time." She confided, knitting her pale eyebrows a bit as she continued to stare down the shoes.

"Here…" Harry set down his pack. "Let me see if I can try it the old-fashioned way. If you don't mind some help?" Luna blinked back to Harry and a wispy smile crossed her features.

"Thank you, I'd appreciate the help Harry." Harry grinned back then trotted over to the suit of armor that was anchored to the wall just below the beam in question. Hands on his hips, Harry inspected his best course of action. He then shed his outer robe and tossed it aside. Then with a crack of his knuckles (mostly for show to give Luna the full experience) he backed up a bit before taking a running leap at the wall, which in his jump he tagged it with a well-placed foot to give him extra leverage before he was again able to quickly catch the ridge of the frame for the armor with the other foot and then pushed from that up to the beam. Harry managed to grab onto the wood of the beam and then pulled himself up until he was sitting on it like a broomstick.

"Oh that was very athletic, Harry." Luna commented faintly, cocking her head to the side in interest.

Harry shrugged. "Drastic times call for drastic measures." He then took out his wand, wondering if proximity might help but 'twas in vain. The shoes continued to sway mockingly at the far end, though no draft could be felt. Harry furrowed his brow in his own concentration then hobbled (as it was rather unwise to slide across the wood, Harry did NOT want splinters in that particular place thank you very much) forward, gripping the wood best he could as he moved. Looking down he fancied it was a bit of a drop even if he had been able to hop up here to begin with. His glasses fell down his nose and he pushed them back in place before stretching out to the shoes.

But he hesitated. Images of Katie Bell lifting into the air from the cursed necklace she had barely brushed flooded his mind and Harry snapped his hand back from where he had it outstretched.

"Are you okay Harry Potter?" Concern lacing Luna's normally airy voice.

"I uh, yeah…I just got to thinking…we should check if it's cursed." Harry licked his lips, mouth suddenly dry.

"Like I said, much smarter than what they say." Luna cocked her head to the other side, eyeing the shoes then Harry. "You think the Nargles capable of that sort of advanced magic?"

Harry shot her a dubious look. "Luna, I think anyone is capable if they put their minds to it."

"You sound a bit like my father." Luna smiled.

"Thanks." Harry gave a breathless laugh. It was a compliment really; Xenophilius Lovegood may have been a tad bit tetched but he was a Ravenclaw back in his day and fairly astute. And as Harry now realized, being eccentric did not always mean one was unintelligent—quite the opposite in fact.

"Do you know any good spells to scan with?" Luna asked. "I'm afraid my expertise may be a bit lacking…" she shrugged and continued to sway back and forth. Harry did not blame her, she was only a Second Year after all. "I do believe Professor Lockhart was a bit distracted last year. And we were unable to get much practice in." She said kindly.

Harry snorted. "Distracted…that's one way to put it." Harry murmured. That man was distracted alright, but with himself.

Harry scooted back a bit then slid out his wand effortlessly, giving it a twirl to release some of the energy he was feeling. He knew more than likely nothing would happen and he could then manually untie the shoes, but one could never be too careful.

"It's alright; I know a few." Harry softly explained to Luna while his eyes remained on the shoes. The first couple of spells he tried required a bit of a complicated swirling of the wand, but being both a survivor of the Second War Yet To Come as well as an Auror In Training, he had all but perfected it.

In the aftermath of it all, Harry found that darker witches and wizards enjoyed leaving nasty little surprises for him and those in the Light to stumble upon. Bill said it came with the job, but Harry was quite sure if it had not been a necessity he would have picked another career whole-heartily. It was like finding a wound up Jack-In-The-Box, but with something far deadlier inside.

The trainers glowed purple for a moment and then it faded—a good sign so far. Harry then twisted his wand and flicked it twice, slashing a quick shot to the right for the last spell he would use. The shoes glowed gold and glittering bits of magic fell from them, fading before hitting the floor.

All was clear.

"Well, they aren't cursed." Harry declared happily, giving his legs a kick or two in relaxed contentment. That was a load off.

"That's good news. I don't know if cursed shoes are that comfortable." Luna sighed, still looking up at him and his efforts with her big soulful eyes.

Harry nodded, agreeing with the somewhat off comment. He then scuttled back across a bit, leaning the rest of his body along the length of the beam and tentatively prodded the knotted laces before beginning to carefully but quickly untie them.

"POTTER!" Harry nearly toppled off, being startled twice that day. Merlin, he had to get used to this in a castle full of people. Whipping his head around he spotted Snape coming, robes black as a moonless night billowing impressively behind him. He had been crossing the corridor to the next on his way back from his office (to set down his procured ingredients) and happened to glance down this way it seemed.

Just Harry's luck.

"'Lo, P'fessor." Harry mumbled dejectedly, straightening up. Snape joined the two and looked at Harry as if he were Up To No Good.

Which, as it looked, Harry couldn't rightly blame him this time.

"What in Merlin's name are you doing up there, you impossible boy!" Snape all but yelled up at him. "I ought to hex you down this instant!"

Luna came to Harry's rescue though, as serene as she was.

"I'm sorry Professor Snape. But Harry was just helping me get my shoes down." Snape shot her a look to determine if she was lying or not, but one look at her robes told him this was a Ravenclaw—Lovegood, if he remembered correctly. He faintly recalled the girl being talked about in his other classes by her peers and his gaze softened, if only microscopically. He then glared back to Harry.

"Potter! Were you harassing Miss Lovegood?" Snape asked in a low tone that begged him to just give a reason so he could justify hexing him into next week. Or taking a bajillion points. Or both.

"No." Harry and Luna both answered in unison. Harry was now back to untying the shoes, looking so casual in Snape's presence that it irked him that much more.

"Then, pray tell, why are your shoes up there, Miss Lovegood?" Snape asked as Harry yanked at the particularly stubborn knot.

"I do believe the Nargles stole them away as I was freshening up for dinner, sir." Luna replied, still looking at Harry when Snape gave her a confused if wary look of his own.

"Nargles." Snape repeated, momentarily distracted from the fact Harry Potter was currently on a beam fairly high up and untying some shoes from the nail they'd been hooked to and knotted impossibly tight against.

"Mmm-hmm." Luna replied noncommittedly.

"Harry?" called a voice from the opposite direction Snape had glided in from. Harry looked up to see Remus breaking into a speed walk, his own robes giving a half-hearted billow in his wake.

Fantastic, just what Harry was trying to avoid. Making a spectacle of himself.

"'Lo Professor Lupin." Harry greeted meekly, continuing his work. He had jabbed his wand behind his ear and looked very determined if a bit ridiculous.

"Um…Severus?" Lupin chanced as he stood on Luna's other side. "What erm, is going on?"

"Don't ask." Snape snapped. Just like that idiotic wolf to stick his snout into business that did not concern him one bit. He then turned back to Harry. "Did you even think of using magic to get them down, you glory-hogging miscreant?" Lupin looked scandalized and shocked.

"Severus!"

"I did, actually, sir." Harry replied calmly, nonplussed by the insults. "Someone stuck them pretty good up here."

"Someone? I was under the impression the Nargles did it." Snape sneered, but more so directed at Harry than anything Luna said. Lupin mouthed 'Nargles' to himself in complete confusion.

"That's…one of our theories." Harry replied vaguely. "But whoever it was didn't reckon someone was fool enough to hop up here and undo it the Muggle way."

"Fool being you, of course." Snape shot back, folding his arms. Lupin once again looked angry enough to spit fire.

"You can't just—" But Harry's voice interrupted.

"That's my middle name…" Harry answered distractedly, but just going along with the idea that Snape would think whatever he wanted regardless of anything Harry tried to say (at least for now). And this knot would be undone if Harry had to work at it till the rise of the Dark Lord.

"Isn't that the truth." Snape muttered, rolling his eyes. Lupin looked aghast with annoyance at Snape, but looked to Harry with new concern.

"Luna, I've almost got it, ready to catch them?" Harry called out, and Luna skipped just beneath him.

He pulled one of the laces straight up and the shoes dropped right into her thin, pale hands.

"Thank you, Harry Potter." Luna happily chirped, her tones still quite faerie-like but otherwise clearly overjoyed.

"Don't mention it, Luna." Harry smiled back.

Luna turned back to the professors standing before her, with somewhat bewildered looks. "I look forward to seeing you both in class tomorrow. Good evening, Professors." She turned back to Harry. "See you later, Harry!" and she skipped back to Snape's original path which led to the Great Hall.

Harry looked after her fondly for a moment before catching the gazes of his two professors.

"Well, Potter? Going to stay up there all day and transfigure yourself into a squirrel?" Snape bitingly suggested. Lupin grimaced at his colleague before gazing back up to Harry.

"Need some help there, Harry?"

"Er…sure, I guess." Harry was rather thankful for the offer; he hadn't really thought of a way down other than jumping.

Lupin come up forward and, with a raise of a brow from Snape, reached out his arms as if to catch Harry.

"Oh uh…" Harry tinged a bit pink.

"Don't be afraid Harry, I've got you." Lupin beamed happily. And it was in this moment Harry felt a tightening of his chest as he was given another flashback, only this one was from when he was a small child.

The room was a blur, but Harry was sure it was a creamy warm color. There were orbs—no, bubbles! Everywhere! They were reflecting the most beautiful light coming from the window. The sound of a baby giggling could be heard all around.

The view was so…strange…it was like Harry was looking down on everything and everyone.

Everyone…

There were people there with him. Straining at the memory, their forms began to take shape. There was a man with a smartly cut beard and shoulder-length, dark wavy hair. He had sharp grey eyes and an infectious grin. Harry felt himself smile in the memory. There was another man there, one on the other side, who was practically jumping up and down with pure joy.

"Harry! Oh Sirius, Remus! Look! Look at him!"

"I can't believe Peter is missing this!"

"Oh where's Lily's enchanted camera…LILY!" The man bounded out the room like a galloping deer.

The person next to him had lighter, almost golden-tan hair cut much shorter but with an excitable fluff on the top. There were a few scratches on his pale skin but his warm amber eyes made Harry feel just as warm and safe as he ever was. Th uncertain pout Harry felt himself give as his father bounded out of the room quickly vanished as the man before him held out his arms and smiled happily. He spoke with a laugh in his voice. It was a friendly, delighted tone that Harry had no problem instantly trusting.

"Don't be afraid Harry, I've got you."

"Harry?"

"Harry?"

Harry blinked and sucked in a breath sharply. Lupin still had his arms outstretched but his smile waned a bit in concern because of Harry's lack of response. A quick look to Snape and Harry saw the look of contempt and almost-disgust at the familial sight.

"Sorry, I…I got lost for a second." Harry mumbled and he made to climb off the beam.

"You could easily just levitate Potter, Lupin." Snape snarled, arms still folded but keeping where he stood as if this was just interesting enough to keep his attention.

"Yes well, I think taking Harry's lead…" Lupin simply explained, catching Harry's waist as he dropped down a bit, and helping to set him on the floor, "and doing this the Muggle way is just fine." Merlin but the boy was light…a bit too light if Remus had any say…but Harry had quickly scrambled out of his arms so that thought was saved for later.

Snape looked as if he would burn Lupin on the spot with his glare if he could. He then looked to Harry and narrowed his gaze, a sneer on his lips.

Harry patted his trousers and some dust fell loose.

"So…what was that all about then?" Lupin asked, looking to Snape who was obviously no help in answering that question, so he turned to Harry.

"Luna is a bit…different." Harry explained, straightening up. Snape raised a brow. "In a good way, mind you…but I think it's hard for others to really see that."

Lupin, for once, shared a look with Snape in having a similar curiosity piqued at this.

"And I think…I think the Nargles are in this case…other classmates who think it's funny to misplace her things." Harry looked rather annoyed now, glaring a bit at the beam where the shoes had been.

"I'd appreciate it if you could help me curb that sort of thing." Harry turned to them again, though he was sure anything he asked of Snape would be flat out refused on pure principle. "She doesn't deserve that."

"I…of course, Harry. I'll look after her when I can, especially in my classes." Lupin quickly agreed. Snape rolled his eyes. As if the wolf had any experience protecting innocents being bullied. The opposite more like.

"I appreciate that." Harry smiled a bit sadly.

Thankfully the brat knew better than ask any sort of verbal promise from him, Severus Snape the Dungeon Bat. But still, for some reason this whole situation was making him antsy…and hit far too close to home. And Potter, that little cretin, was again being very Un-Potterlike. Tilting Snape's world just so in the opposite direction from where it was.

He needed to leave, and now.

"Five points from Gryffindor for putting yourself in danger, Potter. Climbing about up there like a monkey…you could have broken your idiotic neck merely for your friend's shoes." Harry graced him with a tired look as he brushed off his pants of more dust. Harry knew the man didn't truly care about that—if he had been, he would have done something about it first glimpse he got of Harry hanging about up there—he simply used a thinly veiled yet-still-valid excuse to punish him more.

Harry was really getting tired of this.

Lupin of course looked like a reprimand was on his lips for the man but such a notion died in his throat when Snape slipped in one last nasty grin before leaving in a swirl of black robes and bitterness.

Harry sighed heavily.

"I wonder if I'll ever get him to stop hating me." Harry murmured. Lupin looked surprised at that but didn't comment.

Harry then went over to pick up his robes he had tossed earlier and slung them over his shoulder. He walked back to Lupin and outstretched his hand.

"Thanks Professor," Harry quietly said as Lupin shook his hand a moment. "You didn't have to do that, but I'm grateful you came along when you did."

"Of course, Harry. Anything to help a student."

Harry sighed a bit, trying not to be a smidge hurt as being considered just a student to the man. In time, they would be family again.

Hopefully.

Lupin then casually slung his hands in the pockets of his inner jacket, beneath his robes, and took on a curious disposition.

"Do you…often help Miss Lovegood?"

Harry blinked, then sighed. "Not until this year, really. I didn't get to know her till then." He gave in partial truth. He did still regret not knowing or truly appreciating her friendship until a long while after they had met.

"I see." Lupin seemed to be considering something, but what Harry was unsure of. He then spotted another question. "Care to walk with me back to the Great Hall? I imagine we'll make it just in time for pudding." He beamed.

"Oh….erm…" Harry shuffled his bag a bit higher on his shoulder. He hadn't expected the offer, though that was rather shortsighted of him. Remus had always been friendly and caring to others, at least for as long as Harry had known him.

"It's alright if you'd rather go alone, I don't mind." Lupin continued after a moment of Harry's indecision. Harry snapped a quick look into the man's face as the curious soft tone he had taken and was almost heart broken at the slight rejected expression his features had taken on.

"Oh no, that's not it at all." Harry genuinely replied, stepping closer to him. Lupin still looked like he was being pacified but he did seem relieved at the denial.

"I was actually on my way to the Library." Harry gestured to the end of the corridor where said room lay.

"Oh? Skipping dinner for a spot of studying?" Lupin now looked doubly concerned for Harry; since in his experience it was unusual for a teenage boy to forgo a hot meal to do dreaded homework that could just as well be done after.

Of course, in his Hogwarts days Lupin had also done the same (before becoming close to James, Peter and Sirius)…but it was still unusual for any son of James Potter to do so.

"Yeah, after today I'm…I'm not very hungry." Harry gave a lopsided grin, this being mostly the truth after all.

"I'm sorry Harry, if I had known the boggart would have such an effect—"

"Oh no, not just that…I er, had a long afternoon." Harry lamely explained. He didn't want to complain exactly, but that coupled with everything else had taken its toll. And knowing that the tale of the Snape-Boggart was likely spreading like wild fire at this very moment, well, Harry would just assume as stay out of it.

Lupin looked thoughtful but didn't interrogate further. "I see. Well, if I don't see you again tonight, have a pleasant evening Harry." He smiled kindly then set back on his way. He then waved a hand in the air without looking back, and said "And ten points to Gryffindor, for aiding a student in another house!"

Harry grinned so widely he thought his cheeks might hurt.


The Library in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was certainly the last place Remus Lupin thought Harry would rather be, considering his parentage. James may have been good in his studies but he usually hated the place; he had often said it was quieter than a graveyard and about as exciting as one too. Lily, who matched Remus's fondness for studying, was more prone to going outside than being cooped up inside; she thought it was a beautiful library but in the end she thought the grounds were even more captivating.

But that was just it wasn't it? Harry was their son but…really, he had only spent barely a year with them before…well

Lupin absently nodded to Nicholas who glided by, trying to reign in his emotions so he could properly think for once.

So…he had no real reason to expect Harry to be just like them in every way. Even if he had grown up with them, Harry would undoubtedly be his own person. Which, he had in turn rather expected. But still. Perhaps Harry was just more studious than most. That was a comforting thought. Harry certainly had intelligence in his genes, and it would do him well to nurture that. Was he encouraged at home to do so? As far as he knew, Harry had been put to live with Lily's sister, Petunia. Having not met her, he relied on the stories from James when he had visited her with Lily. James had been rather disdainful of the woman, and very upset at her treatment of Lily. As Remus was to understand, she and her husband were vain and somewhat phobic to magic (likely for some row James mentioned Lily had had with her). But, perhaps she was a stronger force in Harry's life now that Lily was gone…maybe she had turned a over a new leaf.

Remus jabbed his hands into his robes a bit more forcefully than needed. He was decidedly upset he knew virtually nothing of Harry. But wasn't that his own fault? He had pushed everyone away when the betrayal and murders happened. He knew he had no right to the boy anyways, being what he was. And it hurt too greatly on top of everything else. As Dumbledore surely intended, it was impossible to hear about The Boy Who Lived in anything other than the occasional wistful article here and there over the years on what he must be up to now, what he may look like…even (unreliable though they were) sightings by the odd witch or wizard in Muggle London. Remus had collected these snippets the last few years. It was when Harry reached Hogwarts that news really broke out.

If the Daily Prophet was to be believed (and Remus was not stupid enough to fully do so) Harry had battled Voldemort twice already. Once, in a daring plot for the Philosopher's Stone, and last year when some kind of Dark Object under Voldemort's influence had somehow wrecked havoc on the school. Rumors told even more than what little the Prophet could (likely to keep whatever did happen all hush hush by Fudge, that incompetent fool), but Remus was not to believe them until he was able to ask Harry himself. But what right did he even have? He was a best friend of a long-dead father Harry never knew, as well as a disgusting creature due to his ailment of lycanthropy. Not to mention his absence from the boy's life all this time.

Remus sighed, very unsettled in his train of thought. At least the class today had been somewhat fruitful. He had gotten to see Harry again (for an extended length of time, not just a greeting here or there), teach him even. It was a gift he was eternally grateful for. And ever since the train Remus had the pleasure of seeing Harry be kind and thoughtful of others. He was somewhat quiet, but very clever. Snape's attitude towards him was gratingly offensive, especially for the wolf inside that felt incurably protective of the boy. He supposed old grudges died hard, and Harry basically confirmed this was not an unusual occurrence. But, he didn't seem to want to exasperate the situation, which Remus thought was very big of him. Harry just took the verbal abuse and left it alone, though it was clear he did not appreciate it.

It was admirable, if a bit alarming.

And then, coming upon Harry up there like that! Remus almost wondered if he'd been caught constructing some sort of prank, but was gratified to see he was helping a younger student! From a different house to boot! Amazingly Snape had found something wrong with the entire affair, but even Remus had noticed it made him uncomfortable to witness, which likely tamed his viper of a tongue. And he seemed terribly curious despite himself. If it was one thing Remus was good at spotting, it was curiosity in others. He had witnessed it so much in himself and his friends.

And then! Harry asking for help in protecting Luna from possible bullying! Oh how Remus's heart soared! It was genuine, he could tell. And he had caught wind of a certain Ravenclaw some students gossiped about already, so this just put the pieces together.

Well, this was certainly so much insight into Who Harry Potter Really Was, and it made Remus terribly giddy as this was all Good News so far. He practically bounced on his heels as he joined the staff table. He found himself sitting beside Charity Burbage and Flitwick, with Snape and Dumbledore just beyond them.

"You look chipper after a first full day of class!" Flitwick commented jovially. Remus smiled happily at the little wizard as he collected food for his plate.

"I rather am, Fillius. I even bumped into Harry on my way here. Had a nice little chat."

"Oh? I don't see him…" McGonagall peered out into the crowd and distinctly missing the usual raven head in the red sea that was the Weasley clan.

"Oh, he wanted to catch up on a bit of studying." Remus explained, dolloping some mashed potatoes.

"He's a good student, he is." Hagrid joined in, taking a place beside Burbage.

Snape looked murderous but said nothing to the praise of the boy.

"You'd be interested to know he was helping one of yours, Fillius." Remus continued conversationally, far too proud of Harry to not mention it.

"Really? Do tell!" Flitwick asked excitedly. He was always happy to hear about his own little Eagles.

"Miss Lovegood had some trainers that were magically stuck and young Harry had come to her aid." Remus elaborated, pinching some steamed broccoli now for his course.

"He was practically dangling from the ceiling." Snape cut in annoyance. Honestly, the nerve of the wolf to be praising the boy at the first opportunity!

"The ceiling?" Flitwick exclaimed in confusion.

"My, that does sound dangerous." Albus replied calmly, eyes bright with humor at the reaction of Severus.

"Exactly my thoughts." Snape jabbed into his roast with more force than necessary.

"Wait a moment," Minerva now had to ask. "How did Miss Lovegood's shoes get stuck to the celing?"

"Well, it was beam actually." Remus grabbed a roll and bit into it.

"A beam?!" Flitwick squeaked. That wasn't as bad as the ceiling but still

"How'd he even climb up there?" Charity piped up.

"Merlin knows what that boy is up to half the time." Snape almost snarled. Charity looked taken aback, still not used to him as the others were.

"At any rate," Remus tried to smooth, "He got them down for her."

"I'm happy to hear it. She's a lovely girl, if a bit taken with more unconventional trains of thought." Filius remarked warmly. He likely found it endearing. The others murmured similar comments but politely so as she was still doing well in her work and proved to be a good student and pleasant girl. So what if she was a bit of a dreamer? It ran in her family, some of them knew.

And for once, Remus felt relaxed, included and safe. Even with Snape almost cutting his plate in half with his annoyance.


Harry looked about for a nice cozy spot to do some of his research and homework, maybe get started on that letter to Sirius, when he stumbled upon Percy between one of the back sections.

"Hullo Perce." Harry greeted quietly, so as not to incur the wrath of Madam Pince.

Percy looked up straight away at the sound of his nickname and blinked before managing a small smile in return.

"Good evening Harry. Off to dinner?"

"Nah, I wanted to get a head start on some projects. May I join you?" Harry replied, hoping the older Weasley might accept. He had been worrying slightly over Percy, and wanted to create a stronger bond with him now, to avoid some unfortunate mistakes later on.

"Oh…" Percy looked positively surprised but happily so. "Of course!" He moved his books over to make room for Harry and his own stack. It was likely no one really offered to spend time in his company to study companionably. Percy was a bit like Hermione, only he did not have a Harry and Ron to buffer his more insufferable enthusiasm for obeying all rules and getting perfect grades. Which, Harry admitted, were not wholly terrible (and more admirable) goals for one's life.

"What are you on then?" Harry asked conversationally, taking out some parchment and his DADA book.

"An essay for Transfiguration. You?"

"DADA homework and some other things I hope to get to…" Harry pulled out a quill and began to dip it in his inkwell.

"You know Harry, I'm really pleased to see you and Ronnie get on track lately." Percy said in an almost lecturing tone. But Harry knew it was well meant and so accepted the compliment.

"Yes well, we figured it'd be in our best interests to buckle down." Harry chuckled lightly, flipping to the page of boggarts in the text book, quill in his other hand and ready to write. "Especially with our track record the past couple of years."

Percy tutted. "Hmm…yes, that is good reasoning. I hate to say it Harry but you, Ronnie and even Hermione seem to attract a lot of…mishaps…" he fidgeted a bit from saying so and Harry deflated just a bit.

It had been rather apparent that Percy eventually blamed Harry for a lot of the targeted attacks and misfortune the return of Voldemort brought (when he finally accepted that was the truth). And it seemed that the vestiges of such a mindset were beginning to brew in Percy's mind even now, before the full influence of the Ministry was upon him.

Well, Harry would just have to circumvent that and earn the boy's trust. He was a good person despite all the drama he had been involved in because of his wish to be Somebody in the world. And he knew that Percy would be a very powerful ally, especially if he joined his family in the coming conflict.

"I…never got to thank you though." Percy continued, his words coming to Harry's shock.

"For what?" Harry asked, gobsmacked.

"For saving Gin. She…she doesn't like to talk about it. But we learned most of the details, especially from Ron, and well…that was really brave of you. All of you."

Harry blushed. "I couldn't let that monster hurt her. Or the basilisk." He whispered with feeling, looking away. Harry fiddled with the edge of his sleeve, careful that his scarred hand did not surface from the fabric.

"It's why I want to get ahead this year." Harry continued when Percy was almost sure the silence would linger into awkwardness. "There's going to be more dangers," he flicked his eyes to Percy. "Especially since your family is connected to me." Harry sighed, leaning back. "I want to better protect them, and anyone else that may get caught in the crossfire."

Such loyalty to his family impressed Percy, but then the tone gave him goosebumps. "But…you sound like you almost anticipate something happening again. Surely we're in for a quieter year…I mean…" Percy lowered his voice. "Besides Black being on the loose, of course."

Harry almost laughed. There was some truth to that, relatively speaking.

"Let's just say, I have a bit of a hunch. And I'd rather be prepared than caught off guard again. It was, as Professor McGonagall said when we tackled the troll First Year, sheer dumb luck. I'd rather have a head start from now on." Percy actually smiled at that, to Harry's continued surprise.

"Very smart take on things, Harry."

"Well, I'm trying anyway." Harry shrugged. Then an spark dawned on him. "Percy…y'know I have a great idea but I'll need your help."

Percy, having rarely been pulled away fully from his studies, put down his quill and regarded Harry.

"What is it?"

Harry leaned in closer and, with a bright smile and for once glittering emerald eyes, explained,

"How would you like to help me plan a new dueling club?"

"A what!?" Madam Pince shushed Percy as she passed, but he was barely even aware of the reprimand (a rarity for the sole rule-abiding Weasley).

"A dueling club. Remember in 'ninety-t—uh…I mean, last year, when Lockhart started up the club? It was a bit of a flop, but it's still a good idea. We just need a better instructor." Harry was rather animated now, as the idea had just struck him. And what an idea! This would be an all new Dumbledore's Army, only it would be officially sponsored as a dueling club. And as such, Harry could get in remedial lessons with his classmates as he had before, better preparing them to defend themselves should they need to.

He was very determined they not have to, but in case he didn't complete his mission, he would make sure these children not be taken by surprise.

"Who do you think would be helping to instruct the club then?" Percy asked, now invested because 1) Harry Potter had asked for his help, 2) this would look fabulous on his resume and 3) he was a Weasley and well, naturally intrigued for this sort of thing. Especially since DADA had been rather disappointing for a long time now—though he had higher hopes for Remus Lupin, whose class he would have tomorrow.

"Oh well…er…" Harry rubbed his neck. "I was thinking, me and some friends would be heading it…"

"You? And some other Third Years? Harry…"

"Don't get me wrong, Percy, I know my knowledge isn't exceptional…so we'd be getting older years, like you, and perhaps have a professor or two sponsor the club as well as guest teach." Harry halted in his words, coming up with this as he went along, but still just as invested. And it looked like Percy just might be as well.

"Harry, I think you're on to something there." Percy brightened, his essay momentarily forgotten as he slipped out a new clean piece of parchment. "Now let's see, you'll need an official request to submit to our Head of House as well as the Headmaster…" rapid scratching now filled the air between them as Percy dug into the new project. Harry was glad for the help, as he was never much good at such things, and that he had found some common ground with him.

And Harry already had several students in mind to help with the club…

To be continued...
End Notes:
Tune in next chapter, where Dudley the Flobberworm eats some lettuce, Harry and Dumbledore have A Talk, and Dobby gets a sandwich. ;)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3407