Forever and a Day by RonnieLepkowitz
Summary: With the anniversary of the defeat of Voldemort fast approaching, the Wizarding World is finding it hard to bounce back. It is then that a certain Trio (plus one) find a chance to fix things the first time around far too good an opportunity to pass up. Harry hopes to save those he lost, including a certain Potions Master.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charity Burbage, Draco, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Time Travel
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 101471 Read: 40069 Published: 18 Jun 2017 Updated: 04 Jul 2021
Chapter 3 by RonnieLepkowitz
Author's Notes:
Things move a bit fast in some ways in this one, but ah well.

Harry grinned as the sight of Arthur Weasley entered his line of sight as he opened the door. The younger but still older man was brushing some soot off his robes and trousers. His hair wasn't nearly as greying as when Harry last saw him and his face contained less worry lines and paleness. As Mr. Weasley looked up to Harry with his own warm smile and bright eyes full of mirth and wisdom from a father of seven children, Harry had to stop himself from giving the man a full on bear hug. As it was, Harry gripped the door handle and blew some fringe off of his face and simply grinned back some more.

"Ah Harry!" Arthur greeted the small Potter boy, gripping his hand in a firm handshake. Harry returned the shake firmly.

"It's great to see you sir!" Harry said happily, moving back to let the older man in and gently closing the door behind him.

"Nice room you've got here Harry." Arthur commented, hands on his hips. "You sure you want to ditch this peace and quiet for a full house at the Burrow?" he winked.

"Yes sir, I'd choose your home over anywhere else in the world." Harry said with feeling, but let his smile stay just as bright.

A flicker of gratitude, surprise and humble pride showed in Arthur's eyes at that for a moment before it was replace with his usual mirth.

"Well, it just so happens we've got enough room for one more rabbit in the hutch." He laughed as he settled on the end of Harry's bed. Harry took the small wooden chair across from him at the desk he had used the night before.

"So, young Ron says you had a spat with those Muggles again…"

Harry sighed, more for show than actual frustration. "They were more…unpleasant than usual. My Uncle Vernon's sister came to stay and started spouting all this nonsense about my parents and I sort of…blew her up."

Arthur's eyes went wide and Harry realized how he had put it. "Oh! Not like that—I mean like a balloon. She flew off into the sky." Arthur looked relieved but understanding just the same.

"You know Harry, accidental magic is nothing to ashamed of. It's to be expected, especially when you're under stress."

"Yes sir. The Minister said about as much last night."

"The Minister? Was here with you?"

"Yeah, he had the scene cleaned up and Marge's—that's that awful sister of my Uncle's—memory obliviated. Said not to worry but that I shouldn't go off on my own like that. Something about dangers and some such." Harry shrugged.

Arthur just gave Harry a long look, as if deciding whether or not to say something he'd been thinking about.

"Harry…there's a bit of truth there. There are dangers…ones that could kill you without a second's hesitation." Arthur said gravely. Harry blinked as he realized he was alluding to Sirius.

That's right…Harry thought. Mr. Weasley was the one who warned me about him last time around…

"I suppose you've heard about the escapee from Azkaban, Sirius Black." Arthur began. Harry decided partial ignorance was the best way to play this.

"Yes sir, but I don't see what that has to do with me."

Arthur looked uncomfortable with what he was about to choose to say. "He was a follower of…You-Know-Who. One of the most loyal. He's vowed to take up where You-Know-Who left off, and that means coming after you, Harry."

Harry did his best to widen his eyes and look fearful at this revelation.

Seemingly satisfied at having Harry's undivided and serious attention, Arthur went on. "Whatever you may hear about him, promise me you won't go looking for him."

"Why would I go looking for someone who wants to kill me?" Harry said, his incredulity not faked. He'd forgotten how naïve people seemed to think him at his time. Of course, he was pretty act first, ask questions later at this age too he supposed.

"Promise me, Harry. Please."

"I promise sir." Harry replied, feeling a bit bad at knowing he'd technically be breaking that promise at some point.

Looking relieved, as if a weight was off his shoulders, Mr. Weasley stood up, knees cracking a bit as he did. Harry stood up as well.

"Well now, where's your things?"

Harry lugged his trunk and his prized owl from her cage. He coerced her into staying in it as he shut the latch. He was thankful Hedwig was far too sleepy to care to fuss.

"Excellent! Let me take your trunk, you look like you're liable to snap in two carting it about, mm? No offence, haha, but Molly'll see to fattening you up this next couple weeks!" Arthur chuckled and Harry laughed along with him.

Harry paid Tom, bid farewell and his thanks, and met Mr. Weasley at the Floo. Arthur had shrunk the trunk and put it in a pocket and was now handing Harry a bit of Floo Powder from the mantle.

"Just yell 'The Weasley Burrow'. And uh, let's not have a repeat of last year hmm?" Arthur chuckled, "Molly almost had a right fit when you didn't come through!"

Harry laughed, remembering the day well. It was quite lucky Hagrid happened to be in Knockturn Alley too.

"The Weasley Burrow!" Harry said crisply, having had much more experience with the form of transportation than Mr. Weasley could ever realize, and stepped through the grate of green flames and made it with just a hint of a stumble to the other side. He was immediately met with a suffocating hug and flurry of red hair. A moment later the fire went alive again and out stepped Mr. Weasley who looked at Harry and his hugger with a bit of surprise.

"Ron! Son, you're making Harry there turn blue!" Arthur chuckled.

"R-Ron?" Harry gasped, as the strong grip around him lessened and pulled back to reveal it was indeed Ron and not Mrs. Weasley as he had expected.

"Hey Harry." Ron looked quite sheepish, ears already turning pink. Harry grabbed him by the neck and pulled his best friend into another hug.

"We made it." Harry whispered.

"I know." Ron replied, and Harry could feel his smile that mirrored his own.

"Come here, Harry dear! My turn!" Mrs. Weasley bustled over, cooking apron still on and hair a bit frazzled, but looking much younger and lively than Harry remembered her last. She positively glowed, he thought as she took him in his arms. Harry returned her hug, surprising her a bit.

"It's good to be back, Mrs. Weasley. Thanks again for letting me stay." Harry said, his green eyes while still a bit dull finally showing signs of their old sparkle Ron noted.

"Think nothing of it dear, you're always welcome." Molly smiled, and then began to cluck motherly at her other children to quit gawking at the stairs and greet Harry then to be washed up for lunch which was soon to be ready.

"Oh Merlin, lunch sounds good." Harry sighed blissfully, rubbing his stomach.

"When did you last eat?" Ron asked eyeing his shorter, more waif-like friend.

Harry just rolled his eyed in good humor when George and Fred slipped into their conversation, a twin on each side of Harry's.

"Someone's been getting a bit too motherly lately…" George winked.

"Indeed! Hugging us constantly!" Fred chimed in in mock despair.

"And now even little Harry is not immune!" George finished, giving his already tangled mop of hair a good noogie.

"Shut up you two! I just happen to appreciate my family!" Ron scowled, his freckles getting lost in his deep blush.

"Since when?" The twins said unanimously. Harry chuckled and Ron grumbled something unintelligible.

The twins then laughed, the sound almost like an echo or harmony, and they stood to face Harry and their younger brother.

Harry again felt his head go light in glee at seeing Fred alive. It was amazing how he could tell which was which now. He sometimes would look at the family albums with George, keeping the lonely twin company and he'd often comment to Harry and Ron the little differences between him and his then dead brother that most people failed to see. They had their subtle differences, such as Fred's hair was a shade redder than his brother's but you could only tell if you were really looking. George had denser freckles on his nose, but only just. After countless hours just reminiscing and perusing countless pictures with George, Harry had become an expert on the subject. Forgetting himself almost for a moment, Harry greeted them formally.

"Fred." Harry turned to the correct twin with a nod. "George." Another nod to the right twin. "It's great to see you two together again."

The twins shared a look, their smiled almost faltering in utmost surprise that Harry of all people had recognized who was who. Their own mum had a bit of trouble with it! That fact alone made them forget Harry's wording of 'together again' almost completely.

"How'd you-?" George smirked, as if wanting to be let in on a prank.

"Know?" Fred finished, sharing the same look but with more shock than mirth.

Harry's eyes widened only a fraction as he realized but he in turn only shrugged. He was much too old and tired to be panicked by such a small slip.

"Details." Harry replied. The twins just thought this a vague reply rather than an actual answer as it was and turned around laughing at his antics. They led the way for the kitchen, tackling Percy who had been taking a swig of water from his glass.

"Bit close, eh?" Ron murmured.

"It's fine." Harry replied with a contented sigh.

"If anyone's good at finding things out, it's them."

"Aw, Ron, look at them though. They're so little!" Harry whispered back.

The two were now in the doorway, leaning against either side as the rest of the family bustled about. Arthur was whapping Percy on the back as he coughed (from the impromptu tackle earlier) while the Twins looked a bit sorry but more so amused by Percy's sputtering. Ginny was already seated at the table, holding a cat that had on a jumper. She met Harry's eyes and quickly looked away in a blush. Harry lovingly smiled a bit at that. They turned and walked back into the living room and sat down on the fraying old couch, seeking a quiet more comfy and private place to talk for a moment.

"I know, right?" Ron replied. "I came to in my bed, after the uh, y'know. And it's a bit dark and I have no real idea where I am and then I heard it—a loud bang! Merlin, you can only imagine what I thought."

Harry nodded sympathetically. He would've had a ghastly flash back at that kind of sudden blast. Even after a year most veterans from the war—Harry included—would still jump at odd noises or spin a wand faster than someone could blink. It had become reflex. Poor Ron.

"I jumped up, wand at the ready. I cast Lumos and I see all my old posters. It wasn't till I heard Mum yelling at the twins to knock it off that I knew where I had ended up."

"That's amazing." Harry smiled.

"Yeah, took me a bit longer to figure out what time though. I couldn't just up and ask, they'd think I was nutters. But I did come out as Percy had begun shouting at George and Fred for slipping a gnome in his room. Ginny came down and threw pillows at them then went back upstairs. It was hilarious. I finally remembered my spelled Chudley Cannons calendar back in my room and saw the date. That was around the time your letter came."

Harry nodded this time, lost in thought at imagining the story.

"How about you?"

"Oh, woke up lying on a sidewalk." Harry said off-handedly.

"Oh wow. Nice."

"Not as comfy, but I remembered quicker because of it. Then I saw…You-Know-Who."

"WHAT?! HE'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BA—" Ron paled and began to yell. Harry covered his mouth.

"I don't mean that You-Know-Who! I mean, er, Snuffles!" Ron visibly relaxed at this and Harry removed his hand.

"Well, why didn't you say so?"

Harry rolled his eyes.

As if on cue, Mrs. Weasley began to call everyone to dinner, though most had lingered about the table already.

Harry and Ron sat together, Ron opting to sit on Fred's unoccupied side. Percy sat by Harry and then Ginny. Arthur and Molly near the head.

"Wow, this looks fantastic. Just like old times." Harry said quietly, and Ron nodded. The twins overheard, shared a look but didn't comment.

"Now, back to my earlier question. When did you last eat?" Ron narrowed his blue eyes at Harry, taking a reasonable bite out of a biscuit, making his parents' eyebrows raise in surprise.

Harry groaned.

"Muggles starving you again, Harrykins?" George asked.

"We can prank em for ya'." Fred said, a twinkle in his eye.

Harry chuckled despite himself. "Nah. I mean, sure, they don't feed me too well, but that's normal. I just haven't eaten since last night."

"Mmmph." Ron replied, stuffing the rest of the biscuit into his mouth, calming his slightly alarmed parents at the almost-different behavior.

"Well, eat up Harry, as much as you like." Molly commented, a bit of concern lacing her tone.

"There's plenty!" Arthur said happily, though he too felt a bit of pity for the boy. He wished they knew more about who those Muggles were that Harry lived with.

"Thanks!" Harry replied and promptly added more mashed potatoes to his plate, easily falling into the conversation around him.


It was mid-afternoon when Harry and Ron found themselves sitting beneath a nice shady tree in the lush green grass. Percy, Fred and George and Ginny were playing two-on-two Quidditch, allowing the two friends to talk some more.

"It was easier than I thought. Getting used to this, I mean. The way were all were." Ron said, leaning back against the tree.

"I know. Me too." Harry replied, idly drawing in the dirt with a twig. Another companionable silence went by.

"Did Padfoot say anything?"

"No. I saw him for only a moment, like last time." Harry said, a bit disappointed at that.

"We'll find him, once we get our bearings at Hogwarts."

Harry smiled, hopeful for that.

"Hermione owled me after you did. So I reckon the three of us check out."

"I talked to Draco at Madam Malkin's this morning. He's made it too." Harry said, trying to draw Hedwig now. She had arrived after lunch and was again asleep, but safely tucked away in Ron's room.

"Did you now? What'd the little snake have to say?" Ron asked skeptically.

"Oh, not much. He's concerned about me making some changes this year…"

"I thought that's the entire point."

"Well, yeah." Harry laughed, thinking of his slytherin colored shirts.

"Stupid git."

"Ron, c'mon. We can trust him." Harry looked around, spying the other Weasleys still playing in the air and their parents off in the garden. He still lowered his voice, paranoia still strong.

"Look Ron, you know what happened last time. A lot came from not trusting each other. We know who we can trust now and who we can't. Don't let it eat you up like it did Sirius, okay?" Harry's voice broke at the mention of his godfather. Ron looked ashamed for making Harry bring it up and put an arm around him.

"I'll try, mate. I really will. This is too important to mess up."

"Yeah."

The leaves rustled above them in the soft warm breeze and Harry let his eyes close and his worries melt into the sounds around him and the way the wind ruffled his hair. The air smelled of flowers and the sun allowed a soft glow as it lazed lower in the sky. It was perfect for Harry. Peaceful.

Harry felt like he could doze off for once and not be plagued with bad memories or the nightmares that usually took precious sleep from him.

"Oiy! Are you two gonna nap in the grass all day or are you gonna play some Quidditch?" Said a voice above them. Harry blinked and dazily saw a tall red-headed figure loom above on an old model broom. One of the twins by the sound of his voice.

"Keep it down, Harry's tryin' to sleep!" Ron all but yelled back. Harry chuckled in his haze. Ron noticed and sheepishly muttered an apology to him.

"Oh Come on then. He's got plenty time to do that later. Ginny's sided with George and all I've got is Percy—"

"Hey!" an indignant yelp said in response a ways off. It was Percy.

"Let's go, Ron. Besides, I'm a little rusty. I've been meaning to get in shape again." Harry replied, standing up and stretching. Ron was beside him in moments, ruffling his hair as the wind was steadily making it wild, much like Harry's on a good day.

"Yeah, I reckon you're right." Ron half smiled. In truth, it was difficult for Ron to be as exuberant about such things as Quidditch anymore. Like Harry, he still held that melancholy that permeated the world they left behind. After all they saw, trivial things didn't really matter anymore. And he hated it. He wanted to be carefree and not worry about the dangers of Voldemort or his followers. He felt restless because he wanted to get going; get it all over with. But then, this wasn't his seventh year and his parents would likely disapprove (even more) if he, Harry and Hermione went AWOL like last time. It just wasn't plausible, no matter how much he wanted to do it. But a part of him was content to just be here and relish in the simplicity of life he took for granted the first time around. He supposed Harry felt the same, only he was better at being calm about it. Harry had learned great patience after the war. Ron only wished he had half the capacity Harry had. With a sigh he tried to put behind him his anxiety and fretting and joined his siblings (including Harry, who was as much a brother as the rest of the clan) into the air.


It had been a few days by the time Hermione was able to join them. Mr. Weasley had her fireplace connected to the Floo and she gracefully came through, making Harry huff a bit at the ease she did so. After all these years and he still wasn't able to master it. Ah well, couldn't win them all.

In a flurry of brown bushy hair, Harry and Ron were enveloped in a fierce hug by a much younger Hermione than they remembered.

"Harry! Ron!" she said through happy tears. "Oh, but look at you both!" she gasped as she pulled back at arm's length to get a better look. She was beaming, eyes bright and hair flying frizzed in several directions.

"You're so pudgy!" she giggled as she poked Ron's stomach, who swatted her away.

"I am not!" He shouted as his ears went pink. "Look at you! You're…all…knobby!" Hermione just spun around happily. "I wouldn't have it any other way, my dear Ronald." Harry realized, rather belatedly, that while they were amazed at how young others looked, they themselves were in the bodies of thirteen year olds. Gangly, awkward and just beginning to grow into teenagers. Unfortunately, Harry knew now that he could expect a lag in his growth spurt in the next few years. Destined for greatness Ollivander told him. Yeah, right. Destined for shortness was more like it.

"Ohhh! Your voice is just beginning to deepen too! That's so cute!" Hermione continued to gush, making Ron blush several shades of red and look scandalized. Harry just laughed and rolled his eyes at his friends. Mr. Weasley had, by this point, lugged Hermione's trunk in after unshrinking it as he did Harry's earlier that week.

"Thank you Mr. Weasley!" Hermione beamed as Arthur bid them a happy farewell as he left back out the Floo for the Ministry. Molly was cleaning the attic (and trying to talk some sense into their ghoul about keeping the noise down) and the other Weasley children were about in various activities. The Trio was left to their own devices, if only for a while.

"Oh I just can't get over this. I mean look at us!" Hermione giggled again. Harry and Ron shared a bewildered but elated look. But then a shadow crossed over Ron's gaze and he held out his wand.

"What color dress did you wear at my brother's wedding?" Ron asked quietly, but his eyes blazed with anticipation. Harry just stood there, gaping. He hadn't thought to make sure it was her. In all honesty, the idea seemed a bit over the top, but then Ron had to be sure. He loved her, and would make sure this wasn't a trick. They all learned never to be underprepared.

Hermione's smile faltered, but came back full force as she answered. "Lilac, of course!" Ron heaved a relaxed sigh and hugged her again. Harry just stood there awkwardly before Ron and Hermione pulled him into the hug as well.

After helping the little witch cart her things up the rickety stairs to the room she shared with Ginny (with a sneaked levitation spell by Ron) they all settled in Ron's room to discuss what to do next. Harry had just finished telling about his trip to Diagon Alley and meeting up with Malfoy.

"Oh, that's brilliant. I'm so happy we all made it! Things are actually going good the first time around." Hermione sighed happily.

"Well, we still need to be alert. We all know how our luck usually runs out rather quickly." Harry said solemnly. The other two nodded.

"Okay, so what do we know?" He continued.

"Well, generally speaking for us, we all retained memories. Even scars…" Her voice faded as she looked down. Ron's eyes widened and gently pushed up her sleeve. 'Mudblood' was still etched in her forearm by Bellatrix. But it was faded, more so than it had ever been.

"Bloody witch. I hope she stays in Azkaban." Ron muttered darkly, then turned to Harry as Hermione smiled weakly and pulled her sleeve back down. Harry was gently running a finger over the lines Umbridge made him do to himself.

"I swear, if I see that Toad, I won't be responsible for what I do to her." Ron muttered darkly again, folding his arms to somehow physically hold in his anger on Harry's behalf. Harry merely smiled back at him.

"We'll need to be careful about these I suppose. Mine you can't really see unless you look at my hand close, and Hermione, yours is faded a good deal. I think the same can go for you. Though, long sleeves may be a good failsafe regardless. Hermione nodded in agreement.

"Alright, next on our list is something I've been wondering. Do you guys think we've still got the trace?" Harry asked barely above a whisper. Hermione blinked as did Ron.

"Oh wow, I didn't even think of that." Hermione replied, the tip of her hand touching her mouth.

"And here…they wouldn't notice since it's an already magical home." Ron added.

The three sat there for a moment.

"Well, it won't matter if we're at Hogwarts. If we do go back on the run—" Hermione was interrupted by a small explosion, signature of Weasley Twin experiments. Harry cast a silencing charm just in case.

"You were saying?" Harry said as he placed his wand back up his sleeve.

"Er, well, if we do go on the run, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we get to it."

"Or we can find out somehow before then if we have time. A little research can go a long way." Ron added, making his two friends gawk at him.

"Who are you and what have you done with my Ronald?" Hermione smiled. Ron just shrugged.

"Hey, I'm doing this by the book, no pun intended." He grinned.

"Excellent. We should have plenty of time anyway. We won't need to study too much to keep ahead of classes. It may have been a few years but it's basic stuff compared to what we know now." Harry pondered aloud.

"And being in the library will be good cover." Hermione commented.

"Alright, so we'll save that to look over later." Harry muttered, writing it down on some spare parchment

"I suppose the next pressing issue is Wormtail and S-er, Snuffles." Harry murmured.

"Oh yes, Ron, what did you do with that rat?" Hermione asked, a bit alarmed.

"He's been under a sleep potion for almost a week now, under a stasis spell, a body binding spell and a couple others that alert me if he somehow awakens or gets free. He'll be staying put nice and quiet and oblivious until we need him." Ron replied.

"Yes, I suppose that'll do for now. We need to act relatively quickly however. He can't survive on doses of potion and a stasis spell. Those are meant for temporary use. If he's killed it will make getting Snuffles innocent a harder job to do." Hermione twirled a piece of hair as she thought, creating more tangles.

"It'll keep for a month hopefully. It'll take that long to work everything just so if we play our cards right." Harry countered as he bit the end of his quill in thought.

"What's cards got to do with it?" Ron asked, confused by the reference.

"Muggle reference, Ron." Hermione waved off-handedly. "Now, about Snuffles."

"Yeah. The real question is do we want him to roam around half-cocked and send the school into a panic like last time, or do we take a more direct approach and contact him?" Harry mused.

"We, I don't know about you, but I don't want some Azkaban escapee to wake me up in the middle of the night with a knife as he looms over my bed with that crazy look in his eyes. Thanks but no thanks." Ron huffed. Hermione chuckled and rubbed his back.

"I agree. I just hope with us doing so won't bring back repercussions we aren't ready for. Our main advantage is experience and memory. Changing things will result in different outcomes. Some we may not be prepared for." Harry explained. As much as Harry planned to change things, they had to be smart about it. Tampering with time was serious business.

"That does seem logical." Hermione conceded. "We'll owl him when we know he's close. Wasn't he sighted near Hogsmede?"

"Yeah, he was. Right before I saw him at the Quidditch game I think." Harry struggled to remember.

"Well, regardless we'll have to owl him within the month when we reach Hogwarts. Time is of the essence." Hermione decided.

"Yeah, besides, we've got horcruxes to find and dark wizards to kill." Ron grimaced.

"Harry…do…do you know if, well…you're.." Hermione stopped as her voice broke.

"I don't. Not yet. That's another thing we'll likely have to research. Unless I can get Professor Snape to show me his mark, I see a snake and can talk to it, or I have visions again." Harry said quietly.

"But you don't know if being a Parselmouth was retained while Voldemort's soul wasn't…
Hermione ventured.

"All this what ifs and no solid answers. It makes me sick." Ron glared at nothing in particular. In reality he was worried for Harry and it came out as anger.

"It's alright. We'll cross that bridge too when it becomes a problem. Like I said when we started this, I'm here to save lives. I don't care if something happens to me." Harry tried to explain.

"We care!" Hermione and Ron shot back.

"And we'll find a way, Harry. We will." Ron said in a tone of finality. Harry nodded with a small smile, and scribbled some more on his parchment.

"Next is do we reveal ourselves?"

"Oh my, you think we should?" Hermione gasped quietly.

"Not right now, no," Harry amended, "But at some point we've got to convince the Order to allow us a place in their ranks. Dumbledore was too afraid of taking away our childhoods that he often kept things from us until he thought we could take them. That won't work now. (here Ron mumbled something about it never working in the first place) Plus, your parents Ron, and Remus and Sirius won't be too keen on us hunting horcruxes. But I'm not about to let them do it. We know how to handle them and won't be as affected this time around. But it'll be nice to have some backup."

"And it's likely to come up once they ask how we knew about Wormtail." Hermione sighed. "We could lie…but what's the use?"

"Right."Harry agreed, scrawling again with his quill.

"I feel bad about planning all this without Malfoy.."Hermione said after a moment, and Ron scoffed at that.

"I'm completely fine with it. The little bugger."

"Ron." Harry lightly scolded. "I'll fill him in when I get the chance. His priority is keeping an ear out in his house and trying to sway the would-be Death Eaters back to the light. Most are young enough that they may just turn."

"And we won't be shunning him." Hermione gave Ron a stern look.

"It'll be good to have him as an ally, and will curb the other Slytherins from trying to sabotage our work in class. The less mishaps the better." Harry agreed. It wasn't so much worry for their work however as it was for the safety of the students. The Trio had gotten fairly advanced in dueling and reflexes from the war were still fresh. House rivalries would be difficult to deal with only because a stay jinx from them would earn a powerful hex from the Trio.

"Well, he just better watch himself." Ron muttered. The three then began to plan and rack their brains for what exactly happened and when. Within the next few days they had also begun their homework (Hermione had already had hers done by the time she arrived. Apparently she started it every year at the beginning of summer. Ron huffed at the over-achieving attitude, just like old times, but actually dove right into his. Harry did as well, and it looked like for once he'd have all his work done before getting to Hogwarts. He even gave effort than rushing to get it done as he used to do.

Meanwhile the Weasleys eyed the Trio and their efforts. They could tell something was…different…about the three. For one, Ron wasn't as moody with his siblings and was more forgiving. He was doing his homework for school without complaint, and even helping Ginny with hers. Hermione wasn't bossing the boys into doing any type of study (however they had already done some on their own) and wasn't shooting off random long-winded explanations. She remained quiet and thoughtful but with an air of wisdom. Harry was the biggest change to them. He was carefree for the first time they'd ever really seen. Confident, full of mirth. His eyes were unusually dull, a murky green full of sadness, but they brightened whenever he interacted with the family. When he thought none of them were watching he would slip into a longing expression, almost pained. As if there was something he wanted to get over with, something he accepted yet was still wary of.

"It'll be good when he meets Remus." Molly whispered to Arthur as they cleaned up and shooed the children into the living room the afternoon before they were to go to Diagon Alley. Arthur had nicked an old muggle radio from work (it had been cursed by a witch to play the same sad love song to spite a muggle man she fancied but didn't return her affection) and had asked Hermione and Harry to have a look.

"I agree. I hope they hit it off." Arthur said with a sad smile. "I think they both need each other."

"I wish he hadn't been such a recluse after the Potters passed. But then losing poor Peter…and then Sirius…" Molly shook her head wearily. "He needed to find peace, not lock himself away with only his grief to keep him company."

"Then we will pray he can find a family again with Harry. He's a good boy, and I think Harry'll take to him. Even if he finds out about…y'know." Arthur shrugged, referencing Lupin's lycanthropy. Molly nodded sadly. Remus had always been shy at the old Order meetings unless he was with his three friends. He was afraid people hated him, and yet didn't blame them one bit for it. After losing his friends he had left the country for a time, making contact every year or so. He couldn't bear to see Harry, knowing he could never truly adopt him (that craving of family was too hurtful back then, knowing he wasn't worth it) and he never wanted Harry to see him in that horrible grief stricken state those first few years. Apparently he had been back in London these last couple years, and had agreed to come teach at Hogwarts. He must've finally come to terms with everything. Albus mentioned he was excited to meet Harry again, but also nervous. He had been virtually absent all these years and wondered if Harry would forgive him that. Little did he know Harry's great capacity to love and forgive.

It was with a sigh that Harry eased off the wall by the door, having eavesdropped (casually) and returned to the crowd by the little radio. It was rectangular and small; a handheld Hermione said in answer to one of the twins. Harry pondered now how his first meeting, and eventual relationship with Remus would develop now that Harry knew his future. He never really thought about things as the Weasley parents had just discussed. He never questioned why Remus just popped into his life, where he'd been…or anything. He also didn't realize that Remus, like Harry and Sirius, needed a family just as much. Well. Harry now knew. And he was going to make sure that Remus didn't only live but would have a family.

Turning back to the now, Harry smiled as Ron reverently flicked on the radio, as if he had done so many times before. Blinking, Harry now remembered the little device. It was the one Ron took with them during their 'camping'; when they were horcrux hunting. He met Ron's gaze, then Hermione's, and they all gave a small smile (which promptly had the others a tad confused if they noticed at all) and he turned the station.

Harry leaned back on the sofa he was now sitting on, and let the soft melody of a Pink Floyd song of all things hazily drifting from a muggle station they managed to pick up. Harry closed his eyes and for the first time in a long time, welcomed the darkness of sleep. It wasn't a dream; he was with his friends. He had a second chance. He was home.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3407