Forever and a Day by RonnieLepkowitz
Summary: With the anniversary of the defeat of Voldemort fast approaching, the Wizarding World is finding it hard to bounce back. It is then that a certain Trio (plus one) find a chance to fix things the first time around far too good an opportunity to pass up. Harry hopes to save those he lost, including a certain Potions Master.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charity Burbage, Draco, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Time Travel
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 101471 Read: 40074 Published: 18 Jun 2017 Updated: 04 Jul 2021
Chapter 5 by RonnieLepkowitz
Author's Notes:
A side note, I changed the way they worked out their schedules for third year electives. It's not important to the story other than discussing the classes they should take. Just thought for canon continuity's sake I'd mention it. I'll be slightly changing bits here and there if I need to like that as I mentioned before. So, be warned I suppose.

"You sure you'll be alright?" Harry asked softly to his friend as they stepped reverently up into the castle.

The faery-like girl simply hummed an odd tune and nodded, meeting his gaze but smiling just the same. "I'll be fine. See you later, Harry Potter!" And she skipped on over to the gaggle of Ravenclaws forming near their side of the Great Hall. Harry waved, chuckling at his good friend. He then realized they had arrived at the entrance to the Great Hall.

Harry, Ron and Hermione took a deep breath, staying there a moment, several students rushing by. Harry dimly realized the friendly pat of Seamus and Dean as they popped through and practically galloped to the Gryffindor table. Hermione grabbed his wrist and Ron's and they shared a look, eyes glistening at the sight.

Back in their time, these halls has just been cleared, but remained broken and empty. Filch was working overtime, but had plenty of help from Ministry workers and those close to the Order who had taken upon themselves to fix up the wounded castle. The enchanted ceiling was broken and rain was dripping through. Candles and torches were seared away or melted and smashed. The floors were grimy but Harry was thankful this was due to the elements of nature and not…blood.

The blood shed there had long ago been cleaned up.

But taking in this sight was beautiful and surreal. Harry often dreamed of his time here, before he really had to fear Voldemort. Before the war. It smelled the same too. Rich in herbs and spices, the wax of fresh candles—it was a dream come true.

"Oiy! Out of the way, you lot. Some of us want to be seated sometime this year." Shouted a voice behind them. Turning, Harry came face-to-face with his old blonde nemesis. He could tell though there was humor in his normally sharp grey eyes and color had finally tinged his overly pale skin. Hermione and Ron stepped a bit to the side, looking a bit embarrassed (or in Ron's case disgruntled) and allowed Draco's entourage to walk past, sneering and joking as they did so. Blaise did a fake faint and they laughed, Pansy pointing to Harry. Harry felt indifferent this time to their jokes at his expense, then noticed Draco was still standing there, but the blonde's gaze had drifted upwards to the enchanted ceiling. The candlelight danced in the reflection of his eyes.

"It's just as beautiful as we remembered it, eh Potter?" He whispered, held Harry's gaze for a moment to which Harry nodded with a knowing smile, then with a swish of his robes went to join his friends at the Slytherin table.

"Come on guys!" Ginny called from the crowd at Gryffindor's table and the Trio grinned at one another then hastily joined her.


"What do you suppose that was about?" Said a mild voice to his left. Severus wished he had a fork right now so he could stab the man just for kicks and to relieve his stress. Unfortunately, the elves didn't let anything appear until after Albus's ridiculous welcoming speech. And it was a tad impolite to do such.

"What are you babbling about now Lupin?" Snape decided a sharp tongue was his only weapon at the moment.

Remus flinched at the tone a bit and flushed, as if not meaning to have said what he did out loud, especially to the man he was seated next to.

"Harry and the Malfoy boy…"Lupin mumbled, making Snape that much more upset. He hated people who mumbled.

"What about them?" Snape snapped. By this time, Albus had his attention drawn to the pair, curious.

"I just saw them talking at the entrance. But it seemed…I don't know. Companionable. I expected something rasher I suppose. Minerva warned me to watch out for them together. Said they get into tiffs rather easily." Remus chuckled as if this fact was to be expected and was endearing in a way. Snape narrowed his eyes at the man, unsure what he was getting at.

"You'll find the two often share battles of wits as well as physical encounter, my dear boy." Albus chuckled. "Why, from the stories I heard from last year's dueling club mishap—" Snape cut him off.

"Can we please speak of something other than Potter and the intricate details of his petty social disputes?" Snape seemed even more rankled by the fact that Flitwick was covering a laugh with a fake cough and that Albus referred to Lupin as 'his dear boy'. Worthless wolf didn't deserve—

"Quite right Severus. Mustn't gossip about our young students I daresay." Albus chuckled. Snape rolled his eyes. He would often hear his colleagues chat about the students in the lounge or over meals such as now. Who would likely end up with who; who was fighting with who; who got the latest howler and why—it was all utter nonsense to him. As if he cared one iota about any of these things concerning these brats. He simply resumed staring ahead, though found plenty of opportunity to send death glares to Lupin.

Though, he would admit later to himself that he noticed the pair too, as Lupin had mentioned. It was rather tame for the two compared to the last couple of years. He for one was thankful. The less trouble Potter got his whelp of a self into the less work for Severus Snape.


"I'm surprised I haven't heard you whine about food yet." Seamus commented from a few seats down the table. Ron's ears turned pink and he turned away from the ongoing sorting taking place.

"Patience is a virtue." This caused the other third year boys to laugh quietly and Ron grumbled about immature kids. He heard someone say Hermione was finally rubbing off on him, and they continued chuckling, then started clapping as their house gained another Firstie. Harry leaned into him and whispered.

"Were we ever that young?" They looked on to their round-faced friends and dorm mates. Oliver Wood was several seats down but even he looked young to them now. Everyone they knew, several dead in their time, but all inevitably touched by the harshness of war. It was again so surreal to see them all so innocent and happy as they were now.

"Hard to imagine." Ron replied with a wistful sigh. "It was so long ago."

"A world away." Hermione agreed and the clapping died down as they listened to another name called from the huddled bunch of newbies.

Soon the sorting was over, Dumbledore gave his speech, warned about the dementors (Teddy did a fake faint this time and Slytherin chuckled darkly as they darted looks to an unconcerned Harry and glaring Ron. Draco seemed the only one unamused) and introduced the new teacher (who received noticeably louder, excitable claps from three certain Gryffindors) and Hagrid as the new Care of Magical Creatures professor (once again loud enthusiastic claps from a certain trio, though this time joined in by peers who were also fond of the half giant) and invited all to tuck in.

Loads of freshly cooked food popped into existence and adorned the already lavish hall. Loud chatter began instantly, and the room filled with good-will and companionship. Finally hearing it in real life once again, and not almost-forgotten echoes, was mesmerizing.

"Guys? Aren't you hungry?" The Trio snapped to attention to Neville who had sat across from them, next to Ginny and The Twins. Harry then noticed their plates were the only ones that were not filled to the brim already.

"Course mate, don't be daft!" Ron replied heartily, earning a chuckle from the normally shy boy. Hermione and Harry followed suit and conservatively loaded their own plates. In a rush the table bumped from an impact of a rushing and a sloshing close behind. Harry looked behind him and saw Colin Creevey, all grins and with his trusty camera round his neck once again. Harry's heart clenched painfully at seeing the boy. Colin had been one of the many that had snuck back to fight the Battle of Hogwarts, losing his life in the process. Harry had thought a long time about his death, among the countless others he knew personally. He always regretted not being more of a friend to the overly loyal and brave little guy.

The tiny second year who was literally all teeth and eyes at the moment, stood aside to reveal a slightly smaller boy with darker hair but the same smile and big eyes. He was wet from head to foot, and Harry wondered why no one had dried him off yet. He vaguely remembered Hagrid giving the boy his coat during the sorting. If he remembered correctly from the first time, the younger Creevey brother had fallen into the Great Lake, but helped back onto his boat by the Giant Squid, quite ecstatic about the entire adventure. Harry couldn't help but smile at the two, though it was somewhat sad as if in grief. He remembered Dennis hadn't been found among the dead. No trace had been found. That is, among the dead that could be identified. He shook his head from these morose thoughts and just as Colin was taking a huge breath to get in as much as he could before the usual dismissal Harry would give, Harry spoke up first.

"Ahhh, Colin. And Dennis. Another fine young lion in Gryffindor house, congratulations." Harry spoke with such warmth as he shook the young boy's hand that his mates around him took interest in the interaction. Even Colin looked surprised.

"Y-you remembered my name? Our names?" Colin looked almost beside himself.

"Of course." Harry said as if it was absurd to think otherwise. "Colin here is a dear friend of mine you know." He said to Dennis who in turn looked to his brother in awe that THE Harry Potter was good friends with his very own brother. Colin was speechless for once.

"Now, you two get along and eat up! The food is delicious, as always." He gave Colin a pat on the shoulder and a wink to Dennis, and the two grinned wide and rushed back to their seats among the younger years.

"That was really nice of you, Harry." Ginny spoke up timidly. Harry blushed and just shrugged. Ron elbowed him and waggled his eyebrows when his sister turned to tell Neville something. Harry rolled his eyes in good nature and Hermione giggled at the two.

"So, what do you think of all this business about Sirius Black eh?" Asked Dean as they began on their pudding.

"I think it's rubbish sending a bunch of Azkaban guards here." Ron replied, trying for a vague topic.

"Oh I do too. They're so creepy!" Lavender Brown replied shivering with the thought. Hermione made a face Harry hoped the young girl didn't catch. A moment later Hermione looked regretful at whatever thought she had and simply chimed in an agreement with her. Harry had an inkling where his friend's train of thought went. Lavender, while a distinct damper on Ron's and Hermione's relationship in sixth year, had fought bravely in the Battle. She too was a victim however, dying of her injuries inflicted savagely by the werewolf Fenrir Greyback. Harry didn't want to see that happen this time.

"Yeah, but what of him? Why's he broken out for all of a sudden? What's he after I wonder?" Seamus pondered with a mouth full of pudding.

Ron and Harry shared a small look before Harry answered. "Maybe he's after someone."

Hermione looked shocked he'd admit such. Ron stabbed his mashed potatoes a bit forcefully with his spoon, thinking of that someone still incapacitated in his trunk. Harry just shrugged, as if it was just a thought he could care less about. Ron reckoned Harry could be a good actor when he wanted to be.

Dean and Seamus got into a conversation about the merits of Harry's theory, Neville piping up an opinion or two once in a while. Harry tuned out their conversations and looked to the Head Table, his heart once again clenching terribly at who he saw there. Albus Dumbledore sat there, happily chatting away with McGonagall and Madam Hooch. Remus Lupin was laughing with something Hagrid was saying, Flitwick patting his hand in comfort. He likely had the jitters about his new classes. Charity Burbage was nibbling a cookie as Madam Pomfrey spoke. The other teachers were also chatting away happily, just like their students. All but one. He was seated in the middle of the group almost and yet looked like he dreaded it with every fiber of his being.

Severus Snape.

Harry took a gulp as he continued to dare staring at the older wizard. Even with his glasses he didn't have a clear view as he was a bit far away. But there he was, scowling sideways as Lupin and gripping his pumpkin juice a bit harder than necessary. Snape then stiffened and within a moment caught Harry's gaze. Snape had felt it and found the source, his spy senses honed and unmarred. Harry held the gaze that was full of loathing for a fraction of a second before lowering his emerald eyes to the table.

He missed the spark of confusion that momentarily surfaced the Potions Master's normally stoic façade, before he too turned away.

Harry meanwhile was trying his best not to get over-emotional. If he couldn't keep it together after just having barely a glance at the men he honored in his heart, the men he saw die yet now lived—well, he'd fail his mission. He needed to act normal. Well, with his new attitude adjustment curtesy of his years of knowledge and maturity. Besides, he would meet them all again soon. He'd get to greet them properly this coming week. It was with this thought he pushed down his grief.

After dessert, all the third years had scrolled forms appear before them as the other years began to leave the great hall for their dormitories.

"What's this then?" Dean asked, confused but reading over what was written on his.

"It's our schedules. This is the year we choose our electives in accordance to what careers we are interested in pursuing." Hermione explained quietly, her bossy tone lost as she gently pointed out the electives on Dean's scroll. "We take our core classes as well as two or more electives."

Dean blinked, unused to the shy tone Hermione had used. "Er, alright. Thanks Herms."

Hermione smiled in return and went back to her own scroll.

"I've no idea what to take this time." Ron grumbled.

"Definitely not Divination." Hermione muttered back. Harry chuckled. They read over the scrolls for a moment or two. Harry noticed Ginny leave, thumping Fred on the head with a roll and giggling as he tried to playfully smack her right back.

"You going to take all those classes this time?" Ron whispered across Harry to Hermione. Ron and Hermione had taken the habit of sitting around Harry more often than not, as if protecting him. Unless Ginny was there, or on the rare occasion Ron and Hermione went out alone, Harry always found his two friends grouping about him when they were with him. He had to admit it was comforting to be thought of like that. He loved the peace their presence brought. It eased the pain he always felt deep in his heart.

"No, I haven't the need to do so." Hermione replied, not looking up. The others around them had all chosen by this point, and their scrolls had popped into thin air, back to McGonagall most likely to assign them their classes. It was them, and a few scattered older years down the table, too far to hear their conversation.

Ron huffed. "But doesn't that…y'know….create some kind of paradoxie thing? You not getting the time-turner and all." Harry looked surprised at that and Hermione beamed.

"You mean a paradox?" She smiled. Harry was sure this wasn't a good thing, but assumed she smiled because Ron was being intelligent about it…in his own way.

"Yeah, that." He blushed.

"No. Like I said before we got here, this isn't some alternate reality we're creating. We are effectively re-writing our own history. Paradoxes don't apply because the timeline we left does not exist anymore. However, we've got only one shot at this. No mistakes. History cannot repeat itself." Harry whispered, not meeting their eyes, afraid at the pain they might see in his own.

"Merlin." Ron gasped, leaning back a bit as if blown away.

"Don't worry Ronald. We've got the advantage. If we don't change too much, we'll be able to predict the events as they happened the first time, because the ripple effect will be too small to drastically change the outcomes." Hermione replied, putting a hand on Ron's which was now gripping the table. He relaxed.

"So, Harry mate…what are we taking?" Ron asked. Harry nibbled on his quill, considering the answer.

"Well, obviously Hagrid's class." Harry said after a moment. His two friends nodded happily at that and marked it.

"I think I'll go into Muggle Studies—" Hermione said but Ron cut her off.

"But you were raised by Muggles!"

"I already told you—it'd be interesting to see them from a wizard's point of view." She huffed, her old spark back for a moment.

"But you already took it!" Ron hissed.

"No, I dropped it!"

"Okay okay okay—look. I barely remember how to do Arithmancy, Dinvination is out, I don't want to study Runes…so I think I'll go with Hermione." Harry replied, marking it as well.

"But-!? You were raised by Muggles too Harry!"

"Oh come on Ron, we're not here to study! Remember?" Ron blinked a moment, his older self catching up.

"Harry's right, Ronald. We can help you and get through the class with ease. It'll give us more time to plan." Hermione piped up.

"Right, yeah…sorry." Ron blinked again, scribbling down for the class. After a moment their scrolls popped out of existence. Harry slapped his back in good humor and the two shared a chuckle.

The three got up and while the Great Hall was still relatively full, decided to leave.

Chancing a look to the Head Table, they caught the eye of Dumbledore who smiled at them. Harry enthusiastically waved, causing the old wizard to blink in surprise but returned the wave gladly. Harry then left with his friends, decidedly happier than he was.


"Wait, Harry! This isn't the way to the common room!" Ron called out as Harry led the way downstairs.

"I know mate."

"But..?"

Harry turned back, another sad look on his features. "I'm going to see a friend."

Hermione and Ron looked at each other as Harry continued down, then it clicked and they rushed to catch up.

Turning a corner they found the portrait of fruit but just as Harry reached over to it a voice called at the end of the hallway. The three spun around and Harry's stomach flipped.

A boy with tidy but wavy brown hair and warm grey eyes approached them. He was older, but not by too much. He had an angular face and pleasant air about him. His uniform was in Hufflepuff colors, and was well kept other than his tie being undone. A prefect badge shone on his robes.

Cedric Diggory.

He would be about sixteen this year. A fifth year, the Hufflepuff Quidditch captain and rival seeker. Harry blocked out his last memory of the boy who now stood before him, determined to hide his grief. It took everything Harry had not to pounce on the boy in a tight bear hug and tears at him being alright. Alive.

His was the first death Harry experienced in the second war. The one that haunted him the longest. But seeing him now made him light-headed with happiness. He was once again eternally grateful to have come back.

"Potter? What are you Gryffindors doing here? The Tower is, well, up there." Cedric gave a lopsided grin and pointed upwards.

"We know." Hermione replied shyly.

"Hey Cedric." Harry managed to say. "We're just here to see someone."

"Oh? Anyone I can get for you? Our common room is just down the way there, I was on my way there myself." Harry just smiled, Cedric being the helpful 'Puff he always was.

"No, someone in the kitchens. But thanks." Harry said, and meant it. Cedric looked a bit confused at that but shrugged and waved goodbye, reminding them curfew was in an hour. He left and soon the three were alone once again.

Harry wasted no time in tickling the pear, which then laughed and turned into a door knob. They opened it and filed into the vast kitchen directly below the Great Hall. Numerous tiny elves pattered about, the chinking of pots and pans and bubbles from washing filled the air.

"Somethings Dwicky can help yous with?" asked a shrill voice near the trio's knees. There stood a tiny elf with a clean pillowcase, Hogwarts' crest on the side.

"Yes. I'd like to speak with Dobby, if that's not too much trouble." Harry asked kindly, bending a bit down so as not to intimidate the little thing.

"Oh, never too much trouble for young sir!" Dwicky replied and called for the elf. "DOBBY!" The shriek startled Ron and Hermione but Harry just chuckled.

"Excuse me! Excuse me, Dobby is called! Dobby must see what—" A little elf yapped on, dodging the masses and almost slipping on some bubble puddles on the floor. He stopped though as he caught sight of Harry, blue eyes immediately widening.

"HARRY POTTER SIR!" Dobby squealed in delight and approached them happily.

"Dobby!" Harry exclaimed just as enthusiastically, scooping up the little creature and hugging him close. Dobby looked flabbergasted but not unwelcoming, just surprised.

"Oh Mr. Harry Potter sir! Yous mustn't do so, yous is a wizard sir! Dobby is just a lowly house-elf." Harry held him at arms' length and fixed a determined look onto the elf.

"Nonsense Dobby. I am your friend. You're my friend." Harry said with such conviction that the other elves looked shocked and in awe. Dobby just teared up and wailed his thanks, hugging Harry a second time. Harry laughed and Ron and Hermione joined him in greeting the humble creature.

"Love the socks." Harry commented, and Dobby blushed but grinned. In fact he was wearing a Hogwarts House Elf pillowcase, but with several pairs of mismatched socks on, layered upon one another. The top layer were bright purple wool ones.

"Yeah mate, very…uh-er…fashionable." Ron tried. Harry snorted.

"Headmaster Dumbledore made them for Dobby. Dobby was so surprised he cried for a whole day."

"Figured he did. No one likes bright colors like Dumbledore." Ron chuckled.

"What if I knitted you a hat to match? Would you like that Dobby?" Hermione found herself asking. Her old feelings for S.P.E.W. were still strong, but she realized these elves were happy. And knowing Dobby made her want to do something in return for the loyal and brave elf.

"Oh, Dobby would like that!" Dobby perked up, ears flopping. Harry ruffled what little hair he had on his head and smiled warmly.

"We'll see you around Dobby." Harry said softly.

"S'right. Don't be a stranger." Ron added. Dobby beamed. Harry didn't mind Ron's offer like he would have when he was truly thirteen. Now, the company was not taken for granted. Hermione added her soft farewell and the three scampered out and back up to Gryffindor Tower.

They needed to rest for tomorrow was Monday and class would begin. And that was looking to be an adventure in itself for the three (and their plus one) time travelers.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I probably had a bit too much fun with Snape and Remus, but hey life is too short to worry about being super canon all the time. ;) Also, Dobby is a sweetheart. So why not?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3407