Potions Prodigy by watercrystals
Summary: When Harry arrived at Hogwarts, no one expected Professor Snape to be his favourite teacher – no one, except the mysteriously familiar witch teaching DADA.

AU. Romance tag is for Lily/Severus, but isn't relevant until later in the story.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hedwig, Hermione, Lily, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Secretive, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 12355 Read: 22746 Published: 25 Jun 2017 Updated: 11 Jul 2017
Lily's Sacrifice (Part 2) by watercrystals

Harry and Lily would never have enough time for ten years of missed cuddles, stories, and laughter. Despite only having that August together, they treasured each moment and made the most of it – hidden away in a sparsely-populated area of Brighton.

Lily's parental experience was limited to a year of raising a bouncy toddler, and struggled when adapting to an eleven-year-old who didn't know how to be someone's son.

Every night, for the first week, Lily locked herself in the bathroom – casting a silencing charm so Harry wasn't woken by her violent sobs. She allowed herself the grief and rage, being a single mother to a child who was abused and neglected in her absence, but only for that week. She'd had ten years to study, prepare, and adapt.

Lily wove a shell around her emotions, meticulously cautious and determined to stick to the plan.

Harry, to his credit and her concern, only needed two days to embrace his new life. Her shy and anxious boy struggled at first, but Lily demonstrated legendary patience and love with each step. They went to shows and festivals some nights, spent many sunny days at the beach not far from their house, and snuggled under blankets over weekends to read books or gorge home-made treats.

She tucked him in every night, kissing Harry's cheeks until he squealed with laughter and hid under his blankets – like he used to as a toddler. Lily read and explained his textbooks, as Harry pretended he was too old for bedtime stories. She monitored his handwriting, using every trick Severus taught her to master writing with a quill, and praised Harry's every improvement. She baked him a birthday cake and they had their own party, with a mountain of gifts even Dudley would be envious of – new clothes, a second cauldron, extra cloaks, practical toys, and a magical drawing kit. Harry's favourite was a stuffed bat with cloak-like wings, though Lily didn't reveal why she'd chosen it.

She was making up for ten years, but hoped she wasn't spoiling him. Lily incendio'ed his old clothes, and fixed his glasses, but it wasn't enough. Harry was overwhelmed easily and often recoiled on himself, with mannerisms reminiscent of Severus.

Their worst nights were shaken with his nightmares of her death or abandonment – Lily rarely slept afterwards. She retreated to the basement, where she'd set up a little lab to brew Harry's nutrition potions and healing balms.

'What's that?' Harry wandered downstairs on the first day of September.

He'd stayed away all month, knowing he wasn't allowed in the lab without her. Not once had she needed to punish or scold him. It bothered Lily how cautiously obedient and often non-childlike Harry was.

'This will correct your eyesight,' Lily answered, pouring blue potion into a small vial. 'Needing glasses was a result of a spell, not something you were born with.'

'Oh.' Harry leaned closer, staring eagerly at the mess of chopped ingredients and jars of herbs. 'Can I still wear them? Just sometimes, until I get used to it?'

'Of course.' Lily smiled, gesturing him over. 'Lean back, look at the ceiling. Try not to blink.'

'Will it hurt?' He hesitated, reminding her they still had a long way to go.

He loved and forgave her beyond what Lily deserved, but Harry was no longer the toddler who flung himself off a bed knowing she'd catch him.

'It'll sting a little.' Lily gently brushed his unruly hair aside. She stared at the bolt-shaped scar, then dripped potion into each his eyes. There wasn't time to find an eye-dropper.

Harry barely flinched. He closed his eyes afterwards, as instructed, and waited for the potion to work. Lily spelled his lens into regular glass, no longer a necessity for him to see, and smiled at his amazement.

'It's so clear!' he gasped.

One month lasted forever...Until it ended.

Lily cast cleaning charms through the basement, unsure how much brewing she could afford at Hogwarts. She'd be back in a week to sort the house out, but not if she didn't get her son to King's Cross on time. Harry ran to get his trunk and owl.

Excitement and anxiety beamed from the boy as they left the house.

Lily raised her wand, then checked herself in a conjured mirror - trying to shake her own nerves. She'd adjusted her disguise so Harry would always see her as she'd been - red hair, emerald eyes to match his, and a smear of freckles she denied having. He'd carefully cupped her face that day, taking in every detail, as if finally recognising her completely. However, her reflection remained masked with black hair and hazel eyes. She recognised herself as Ellen Aster now, so much that “Lily Evans” was an echo of a stranger.

Too much had happened since that night in Godric's Hollow.

Harry jumped when the Knight Bus swerved around a corner, and Lily placed a protective arm across his shoulders. The violet, triple-decker bus screeched to a halt. Stan barely said a word before she'd hurried Harry into the bus.

King's Cross was a place she'd often sought over the years; it was as familiar to Lily now as it'd been when she'd graduated Hogwarts. Harry didn't have time to take it in, as they rushed around Muggles while the clock neared eleven. Harry pushed his trolley continuously, knowing what to do.

They entered the magical platform together, almost crashing into a group of redheads.

'I'm terribly sorry!' Lily yelled over her shoulder.

'When will I see you again?' Harry's sad eyes almost threw her cover and plans into the wind.

'At the feast.' She put his trunk and owl cage into the luggage compartment. 'After your first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson, stay behind. Bring your class schedule.'

'Okay.' He sighed miserably. 'And what if I'm in...? Er - never mind.'

The Hogwarts Express whistled loudly, cutting her chance to prompt Harry. She nudged him onto the train, resisting a hug as it was too risky, and waved him off. With a heavy sigh, Lily sought the shorter woman she'd bumped into.

'I hope I wasn't too rude earlier.' She smiled at Molly Weasley.

Heart beating fast in her chest, Lily hadn't expected such a reaction to seeing someone she knew from before. Whispers of her old self emerged, as Lily fondly considered friends and loved ones she could meet a second time. She hadn't known Molly or Arthur well, but always liked them very much.

Didn't they have a son Harry's age?

'Not to worry, dear,' Molly said reassuringly, arm around her daughter. 'We were in quite the rush ourselves. Did your boy oversleep as well?'

'Oh, no – he's not my son.' Lily hated those necessary words. 'I'm a Professor. Thought I'd catch a glimpse of the train for old time's sake. He was by himself. I was just making sure he made it on board.'

While Molly apologised for her assumption, Lily had the distinct feeling the woman wasn't entirely convinced. The ability to recognise another parent was one of those things she couldn't plan for.

~ PP ~ 

Apparating to Hogsmeade, Lily fastened her sapphire robes and tucked an aged letter into a deep pocket.

She'd miss being a Healer, but had once considered teaching. Wandering the magical village, Lily forced herself to focus. Her interview for the position as Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, conducted by Dumbledore three months prior, was shorter than expected. He'd asked a few general questions, then congratulated her and offered schedules.

At least the position wasn't jinxed.

Lily was in awe as she strolled onto Hogwarts grounds. She'd left as a student, and now returned as a Professor.

A foreign bubble of excitement flushed through her, knowing everything beyond those gates were familiar and predictable. Many Professors who taught her were still there. Lily wondered what Severus was like as a teacher, knowing of his patience and keen observation, but was curious why he taught Potions. Surely he'd prefer the Defence Against the Dark Arts position?

Her new home was located within the serpentine corridor on the third floor. She walked the tower as professionally as she could, secretly giddy when portraits glanced or waved at her. The tapestries, ghosts, tall windows, and scent of something that could only be magical, basked her in memories she loved and missed. There were unpleasant ones too, but she shoved those behind mental barriers where they belonged.

Sparing her quarters a short glance, Lily would prepare the classroom later. Piling luggage at once side, she checked her watch. The staffroom was conveniently right around the corner of the DADA classroom.

She hesitated.

Rather foolishly, given how carefully she'd planned everything else, Lily suddenly realised who was on the other side of the door. Scolding herself, as she'd faced much worst than overdue reunions with former friends, Lily entered the staffroom.

'I hardly think that's necessary,' Severus was saying, head turned to converse with Minerva. He was easily the darkest figure in the room.'The prefects are more than capable of handling it.'

'Ah, there she is.' Dumbledore smiled, seated at the head of the table.

'Oh.' Lily blushed, as all eyes turned to her.

Severus' glance was brief, as if he wasn't entirely sure why he was even called to the meeting. Lily, hiding her disappointment, glanced at familiar and new faces.

'Allow me to formally introduce our new Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor,' Dumbledore announced, 'Ms Ellen Aster.'

Lily watched Severus for any reaction to her name, but none showed. He looked older – of course, he was older since she last saw him, but not just in the face. His hair was worst than she remembered, but robes impeccable and concealing. His face was restrained and neutral, a mask he'd perfected well beyond her own.

Severus wasn't going to be as approachable as she'd hoped; Lily knew a closed-off heart when she saw one.

'Would you like to say a few words?' Dumbledore asked.

'No.' Lily shook her head. 'I'm a private person who'd rather the past remain where it is. I was a Healer, specialising in combating dark magic and creatures. I'm up to the task assigned to me, and that's really all anyone needs to know.'

'Well said. And Welcome, Professor Aster,' Minerva smiled, rising to shake her hand. 'I dare say you have your work cut out for you.'

'I do?' Lily anxiously sat, as amusement spread through the room.

'I believe Professor McGonagall is referring to the Weasley twins.' Severus rolled his eyes.

'Indeed. They caused quite a bother for old Professor Marigold, who you're replacing,' Minerva said. 'He was strong of heart, but not so sound mind by the end of his eight years here.'

'What sort of bother?' Lily asked, intrigued.

Learning the third year twins were known for their pranks and rule-breaking, she hid a smirk in remembrance of the Marauders doing exactly the same. James and Sirius would have loved to meet the Weasley pair. At the glare on Severus' face, Lily knew she wasn't the only one who thought so.

The meeting wasn't as informative as Lily hoped, but she had enough knowledge and experience of Hogwarts to settle into her new job with minimal fuss. She tried not to glance at Severus more than reasonable, but had a sense of being watched.

'This year will be quite the occasion,' Dumbledore said, 'as Harry Potter will be joining us for his first year at Hogwarts.'

Whispers scattered and eyebrows rose, but Lily couldn't hold her tongue. She also didn't miss the not-so-subtle look Dumbledore shot Severus.

'I'm sorry, but I don't understand why that's noteworthy,' Lily said, earning Severus' rapt interest. 'Harry Potter, famous or not, is a child and student like any other. Are we expected to cater to him or make the boy feel more of an outsider than he probably already does?'

'Not at all, Professor.' Dumbledore smiled kindly. 'But we must be attentive of potential dangers to the Boy-Who-Lived, should they arise. I believe that's your area of expertise?'

Lily didn't like it.

'If we're being technical, my area of expertise is healing those injured by advanced curses or potions accidents.' Lily kept her voice polite and expression curious. 'The latter of which the boy is more likely to be exposed to.'

'I can confirm this.' Severus sighed. 'Unfortunately, most students who set foot in my classroom are a bunch of dunderheads.'

That's not what Lily meant, but she let it slide. Dumbledore didn't open discussion on the subject, and moved on to other matters. Lily had no intention to read little else into Harry's safety, knowing how painfully true Dumbledore's warning was. She just wanted her boy to be a normal wizard making friends and learning magic.

The Sorting Ceremony was in six hours. In her exhaustive efforts to prepare her son for Hogwarts, she'd forgotten to inform Harry of the Hogwarts houses. He knew the basics, but Lily hoped no one mentioned Slytherin's ill-deserved reputation as the “bad house”.

She'd seen first-hand the damage house bias and rivalry can cause.

Filch approached Dumbledore with a renewed list of objects to be banned, which was when most Professors and staff rose to leave. Lily, distracted by Hagrid's warm welcomes, missed her chance to speak with Severus – who was the first out the door. She watched him stride off, admiring the way his cloak billowed around him. No one knew the extensive practise he'd put into that skill, which hadn't started nearly as graceful or effective as he'd finally perfected it to be.

She smirked, fondly aware he believed there was no one left who knew his secret.

However, having only arrived at Hogwarts a short time ago, Lily could already see she had no easy task ahead of her. She cherished times once spent with Severus, but Lily didn't know where they'd stand now. It had been years; they weren't young or naïve anymore. Things could get messy if she didn't take necessary precautions. And yet, he would always be the father of her child.

Every ounce of goodness in Severus shined through Harry and, for that reason alone, Lily gave him the benefit of a fresh beginning.


Night fell and students gathered in the Great Hall. Lily, used to solidarity and quiet villages, was confronted with the noise and size of the castle she was once accustomed to. Dressed in black robes and a vibrantly blue cloak, she apprehensively approached the staff table. She passed Hagrid delightfully telling Pamona that he'd taken Harry to get his school supplies, and how much the boy reminded him of the Potters.

She smiled fondly at Hagrid, making her way to Severus.

He didn't acknowledge her as Lily sat down, but she'd known him long enough to sense he was nervous. It confused her, and she ignored a paranoid urge to check her appearance. He didn't know, Lily reminded herself.

Distracted with her own mind, Lily didn't catch herself in time - and flinched when Madam Hooch sat beside her. Engrossed in a discussion of Quidditch strategies with Filius, Hooch didn't notice what Severus had. He glanced at her, but Lily aimed her gaze at the table.

Lily and Severus watched as Minerva entered the hall with a trailing group of first years. She easily spotted Harry, whose head tilted back to stare at the enchanted ceiling above. She was pleased to see the youngest Weasley boy had befriended her son. Severus gripped his fork, then tucked hands under the table to hide them.

His obsidian gaze remained on Harry, as if nothing else mattered.

The Sorting Ceremony began. Lily tried to appear detached but, though they both hid it well, Harry and Severus were far from calm. Harry glanced to his father and offered the bewildered man a wide smile. Lily groaned inwardly; her son was not an especially subtle boy.

'Harry Potter!'

In fear of the moment, Harry's wide eyes found her. Lily gave a discreet nod of encouragement, and watched her son approach the stool. Tension spread like fiendfyre. She hadn't figured out how to reinstate his real birth certificate, bearing the name “Harry Severus Evans”, without revealing far too much.

Silence continued, as if the entire Great Hall held its breath.

Severus had a long sorting too. Harry was cunning and resourceful – Lily expected him to be placed in Slytherin as his father had before him.

'GRYFFINDOR!' shouted the hat.

With a grin and whoop of relief, Harry hopped off the stool and ran to the cheering table.

Lily, surprised but proud, joined the loud applause. Severus scowled, slumping his shoulders in defeat before correcting his posture in reflex. Harry sat across from who Lily assumed to be the Weasley twins – and a pang of wariness shot through her. James and Sirius adored Harry and wanted to teach him the ways of a Marauder. With Harry happily seated by the Weasley equivalents, Lily wasn't sure how she felt.

When the ceremony ended and Dumbledore gave his speech, food magically appeared. Lily sighed; the topic of house-elves enslaved to serve them was something she and James fought strongly over during their later years at Hogwarts. Even so, Remus was not the best cook so Lily couldn't feel too guilty about enjoying the welcoming feast. She checked Harry remembered to serve himself as much as he wanted, then glanced at Severus.

This was her chance.

'Severus, right?' she asked, waiting for his curt nod. 'Does it get easier, sitting up here instead of down there?' Lily indicated to the students.

'It does.' He regarded her curiously. 'Have we met?'

'You don't seem the sort of person to forget a face.' Lily smiled, heart pounding in her chest. 'But yes, we have. I was rather different back then; easily confused for someone else.'

'Furthermore forgettable by the glamour you wear?' Severus didn't miss a beat. 'I presume there's a reason,' he said, casually cutting chicken while Lily scrambled to hide her shock.

Severus was so calm she wanted to jab him with her fork.

'You noticed.' Lily frowned at her plate.

'I was rather impressed by the delicate strand of magic you used, quite unlike most glamours.' He glanced at her. 'Not the least bit obvious, I can assure you.'

'And yet, you noticed.' She repeated, feeling exposed. 'For that I'll grant you an explanation, if you agree to keep this between us?'

Lily didn't ask how he knew, not wanting to tempt his memories. She was glad Hooch and the other staff obliviously chatted among themselves. It'd be shameful to have her secrets revealed as early as her first night.

'Very well.' Severus nodded, watching her carefully.

She knew what he was trying to do, and appropriately avoided eye contact.

'I needed a fresh start,' Lily said, with as much truth as she could allow. 'I was trapped by the things I've seen and done. Grief and remorse can become a person. I couldn't be a Healer or Professor as the person I was. As far as the world knows, that woman is dead.'

'And Ellen Aster?' Severus averted his gaze.

'As Potions Master, I'm surprised you haven't figured that out. I'm not going to explain it.' Lily smirked, reclaiming the upper-hand. She sipped her goblet, watching Harry ogle Nearly-Headless Nick. 'He has his mother's eyes, have you noticed?'

His gaze jerked to her, then trailed to Harry. Lily, with forced casualness, resumed eating.

'Still a Potter,' he muttered. Severus glared at their son nodding animately at something the Weasley twins said.

Lily lost her appetite. She believed fiercely in his kindness, but Severus' life and choices made him bitter. Harry, in Gryffindor and befriending trouble-makers, would likely be ill-received by the Head of Slytherin. She'd overlooked Harry's assumed resemblance to James, having underestimated how deeply Severus still hated the man.

Lily did indeed have her work cut out for her. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
The majority of this story going forward will be Harry's POV. I could not have achieved this 2-parter set-up without Lily's perspective, I hope you understand.

Hopefully you enjoyed reading this chapter as much as I did writing it! Who's excited for Harry to meet his dad and discover potions?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3410