Potions Prodigy by watercrystals
Summary: When Harry arrived at Hogwarts, no one expected Professor Snape to be his favourite teacher – no one, except the mysteriously familiar witch teaching DADA.

AU. Romance tag is for Lily/Severus, but isn't relevant until later in the story.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hedwig, Hermione, Lily, McGonagall, Neville, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Secretive, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 12355 Read: 22745 Published: 25 Jun 2017 Updated: 11 Jul 2017
Malfoy Malcontent by watercrystals

Draco Malfoy was the last person Harry wanted to talk to, especially after the things he'd said about Ron, but Lily's words had gotten into his head and Harry couldn't shake them. He wondered, though doubted, if things might've been different if the hat had sorted him into Slytherin.

Harry sat in the Great Hall on Friday morning, glancing at the Slytherin table and considering the past few days. After DADA and Charms, his only concern was his midnight Astronomy lesson. He'd read his Potions books to pass the time, but ended up playing Chess with Ron to stay awake.

Thursday passed less eventfully, though Harry instantly loved having Herbology then Potions.

Friday was the first day with free time all afternoon, and Harry intended to put it to good use. Still thinking about house rivalries, and how there was a time his parents sat the same classes he did, Harry kept his head down through DADA. He took minimal notes, didn't raise his hand to answer questions, and focused on learning to light his wand.

It wasn't until after Transfiguration that he grabbed Ron's sleeve as they left the classroom.

'What?' Ron asked, letting Harry seclude them.

'I'm going to do something crazy tomorrow,' Harry said, 'if you're okay with it. Malfoy was a git to you, but I learned things about Slytherin that you...We were wrong about.'

'What things?' Ron frowned. 'What are you going to do?'

'I don't know yet – talk to Malfoy, probably.' Harry checked no one was eavesdropping. 'I'm going to the library after lunch. There's got to be proof that not all Slytherins are bad.'

'Why do you care?' He stared at Harry, but wasn't angry. 'And why Malfoy?'

'His whole family are in Slytherin. He's rude and a bully,' Harry said. 'I can't imagine there's anything nice about him, but that's why Malfoy. The ultimate test.' He shrugged, not entirely sure himself.

Draco offered his hand to Harry once, and he wanted to know why.

'I still don't get it.' Ron shook his head. 'You're not making sense, mate. Who cares if he is a git?'

'I can't explain it.' Harry grumbled, hating his secrets for the first time. 'It's personal. Someone in my family is Slytherin, and I...I almost got sorted there.'

'What?' Ron's eyes widened, voice dropping to a whisper. 'Is that why the hat took so long? But...Then why are you in Gryffindor?'

'Because I asked it to.' Harry smiled. 'Actually, I asked it not to put me in Slytherin. I think I'm both. Not really, but...I don't know, okay?'

Ron nodded, looking at the floor.

'You're not mad?' Harry's anxiety flared, hoping his admittance won't cost him his only friend.

Being in different houses hadn't bothered his parents - he hoped that wasn't unique to them. He'd observed other students in hallways, seeing a fair mixture of inter-house friendships. During daytime meals, teenagers often sat at different tables without getting in trouble or raising alarm.

However, Slytherin house appeared to stick close to their own.

'Mad? For what?' Ron frowned. 'I can't really picture you in Slytherin, to be honest, but...We'd still be friends, right? I wouldn't be happy about it, sure, but it's not your fault if the hat put you there.'

'Yeah.' Harry grinned. 'You're my best friend, Ron. I was worried...You know, if I was in Slytherin...'

'I'm not saying it'd be easy.' Ron shrugged. 'But you're still Harry. You're my best friend too.'

Harry, overcome with emotion, hugged Ron.

They walked to the Great Hall together, laughing away insecurities. Harry shared how he wanted to reach out to Malfoy, and maybe other Slytherins. He mentioned the Dursleys and how everyone thought Harry was bad too - that changed Ron's scepticism immediately.

'When are you going to do it?' Ron asked, sitting beside him at the Gryffindor table.

'At breakfast,' Harry said. He glanced at the staff table, smiling at his parents.

Lily and Severus chatted together, unaware of McGonagall's watchful amusement.

'We're still going to see Hagrid, right?'

'Yeah.' Harry nodded to Ron. 'You'll like him; he's brilliant.'

~ PP ~ 

The library was vacant and quiet; first years weren't the only ones with the most free time they'd had all week. Ron wasn't keen on reading indoors instead of enjoying the sunshine and grounds, but insisted on joining Harry in his task of researching Slytherins.

'May we sit here?' Harry asked, lowering a pile of books.

Hermione startled, looking at them as if surprised someone would speak to her. 'Of course!' she quickly shifted her books to make room.

'Thanks,' Harry said, sitting across from her. Ron frowned at the girl, then sighed and went to get more books.

'Er – what are you reading?' Harry asked, dividing his pile into two.

'Hogwarts: A History,' Hermione said brightly. 'Of course, I've already read it loads of times but it's fascinating. Can you believe this school was founded over a thousand years ago?'

'Is there anything in it about Slytherin?' Harry straightened.

Hermione nodded, eyes taking in the book-fort forming between them. Her lips moved silently as she read their titles, and leaned forward eagerly – but jumped back when Ron thumped heavy books over the table.

'Sorry.' He winced. 'They're bloody heavy.'

Harry nervously glanced around for Madam Pince.

Convinced they're safe, he told Hermione that they're looking for proof of good Slytherins or where house rivalries came from. When Ron asked if she wanted to help, Hermione grinned widely and launched into long summaries of everything she'd read about Salazar Slytherin.

When the three Gryffindors headed to dinner that night, Harry's mind ached with all the new information. He'd rather learn different potions and re-read his Herbology textbook for inspiration, but never wanted Lily to be disappointed in him again.

Harry had to make peace with Slytherin and show his dad he didn't think he was bad, despite how awful Severus could be sometimes. He didn't believe what everyone said, not without witnessing or experiencing it for himself; Harry wasn't making that mistake again.

'I think we'd still be stuck in that library, if not for Hermione,' Ron said, glancing to meet her smile. 'So, what now? Is it enough? Blimey, I was such an idiot though – thinking one house was more evil than the others.' His ears turned pink.

'I thought so too.' Harry shrugged. 'We weren't the only ones.'

'Why do you want to know the truth?' Hermione wondered. 'I mean, you never said why it's so important. Of course, not that we should think badly of someone just by where they're sorted...'

'It's a secret,' Harry said, raising Ron's interest. 'It's personal.'

That was the last they spoke of it.

Harry constantly looked at the Slytherins through dinner, and watched his parents bicker at the staff table. He considered great witches and wizards they'd read about; Slytherins who invented powerful healing draughts, advanced Quidditch or Ministry history, fought for the rights of muggle-borns or misunderstood creatures, and even helped those in need at great cost to themselves.

Harry, though happy in Gryffindor, knew he'd be just as proud in Slytherin.

However, knowing the truth was only helpful in theory.

He'd dreaded Saturday morning but was determined to see it through. Ron called him mad at least twice, but supported Harry's decision.

Standing at the doorway, Harry watched Ron and Hermione head to the Gryffindor table. He took a deep breath and steadied his nerves - fighting every instinct screaming how dangerous the plan was. Malfoy isn't Dudley, he reminded himself over and over, until his legs worked again.

Chilling silence enveloped the Slytherin table, as Harry Potter walked intently to it and sought out Draco.

'Good morning,' Harry managed to say. 'May I sit here?'

Draco's eyes were wide, his jaw open and no words coming out. He was so stunned that it was the girl beside Harry who answered.

'Why?' she asked.

'Why not?' Harry shrugged. 'The whole school seems to think Slytherin is bad, and it's wrong. I thought I'd sit here and get to know some of you better. You're in my class too, aren't you?' he asked the girl much bigger than himself.

'Yes.' She nodded, shyly tucking dark hair from her face. 'I'm Millicent Bulstrode. You can sit here – I mean, it's allowed.'

'Thanks. It's nice to meet you.' Harry smiled, trying not to laugh at Draco's dumbstruck stare. He sat, hoping he appeared calmer than he was – keeping his hands under the table until they stopped shaking.

Slytherins shifted to watch him - most confused and others suspicious. Harry ignored hurried whispers of tables behind him, uncomfortable with having his back to a mass of people. He was terrified and second-guessing his plan, but stubborn. Harry pictured young Severus in his mind, dressed in Slytherin robes and laughing with young Lily.

He ate scrambled eggs, forcing the food down, and tried to think of something to say.

'You're very good at Potions,' Millicent said, to his relief. 'Even Professor Snape seems to think so.'

Harry smiled.

He turned to look at the high table, nervously seeking his parents - they always sat together. Severus looked absolutely livid, his obsidian eyes narrowed with such suspicion that Harry was surprised he couldn't physically feel it.

Before he could retract his plan, Harry noticed Lily straining not to laugh at Severus' reaction. She pressed a hand to her mouth, but eyes gave her away. McGonagall had a similar expression, but Dumbledore's watchful gaze was unreadable – the twinkle in his gaze being the only indication of pleasant surprise.

'What are you playing at?' Draco's harsh voice startled Harry. 'Did you lose a bet or something, Potter?'

'No.' Harry clenched his fork. 'I just don't think Slytherins deserve the rumours that get passed around.'

'Why should we care?' Draco frowned.

'I care,' Millicent said softly, looking at her toast. 'A bit, I mean. It's not nice thinking everyone hates us.'

'Hates you, maybe.' Draco rolled his eyes. 'I'm proud to be in Slytherin.'

'I never said I wasn't proud!' Millicent growled, then gasped. 'Sorry.'

'It's okay,' Harry told her. 'Malfoy's being a git.'

'Then why'd you sit here?' Draco sighed dramatically. 'Did you really expect we'd have a laugh and discuss favourite Quidditch teams? You're even stupider than you look.'

'I didn't expect anything.' Harry glared. 'I just wanted to eat breakfast at a different table. What's wrong with that?'

'Nothing,' said an older Slytherin. 'Like the girl said, it's allowed.' He looked pointedly at Draco.

An unspoken agreement spread among Slytherins, as everyone returned to their meal and conversation.

Harry exhaled a slow breath, his appetite returning. Sipping pumpkin juice, he asked Millicent about classes she liked most. He laughed at her horror when he revealed Professor Snape was his favourite teacher. He hoped his mum wouldn't mind.

'And, just so you know,' Harry said, smirking at Draco. 'I don't have a favourite Quidditch team. Ron's big on the Chudley Canons, though.'

Draco snorted, but didn't comment. He glanced warily at the older boy, who kept shooting him stern looks.

The Slytherin table wasn't as bad as Harry feared, though he'd imagined being hexed off his seat and chased through the castle. It wasn't nearly as horrid as things Ron theorised might happen.

When breakfast ended, he thanked Millicent with genuine warmth. As if getting payback on Malfoy, Harry made sure to smile and wave at him too – further confusing the blond boy.

He stood to leave, barely turning when a voice stopped him.

'Potter,' Severus snarled, towering over Harry with arms tightly crossed. 'Was the Gryffindor table insufficiently up to your high standards or do you take pleasure in making a mockery of another?'

'No, sir.' Harry shook his head, forcing his face neutral.

'Explain yourself,' Severus said.

Harry panicked.

He knew what to say – how he intended to disprove bad things people said about Slytherins, and wanted his classmates to know someone believed in them. Severus hadn't realised any of this on his own; the glower on his dad's face demolished Harry's confidence and resolve.

'It's allowed,' Harry said, mimicking Severus' posture.

He hurried around the man, leaving the Great Hall with Ron and Hermione catching up.

'Did you see Malfoy's face?' Ron asked, as the trio broke down in laughter. 'Bloody hell, I wish I had a camera.'

'There you are.' Fred grinned, joining them in the common room. 'You're mad to have done it, but that was brilliant!'

'Er, thanks.' Harry relaxed. 'I mean, I wasn't trying to trick them or anything.'

'Whatever your reasons, it was amazing,' George added, tucking parchment into his robes. 'Did you see Snape? I thought he was going to burst a vein!'

Harry forced a smile and laugh, but was confused. He hadn't played a funny joke, just sat with another house to prove a point. Other Gryffindors laughed or gave harry thumbs up all morning, as if he'd done something remarkable.

'They'll get used to it,' Ron said later, as they made their way down to Hagrid's. 'It's not like they get it, you know?'

Harry nodded, knowing his friend was right but felt uneasy.

He was happy to visit Hagrid, though evaded questions and amusement over his actions at the Slytherin table. Ron changed the subject, which Harry appreciated. The boys talked about their first week - with Ron complaining about homework, and Harry eagerly detailing his love of Potions until Hagrid gave him an odd look.

It was late, when Harry should be sleeping, that he wondered on Hagrid's expression. Severus and Lily had given him similarly strange looks, as if all three of them noticed something new about Harry.

It didn't make sense to him, as Harry stared at the bathroom mirror in search of what they saw. His mother's eyes shone on his face, and black hair stuck up in every direction. He'd forgotten his glasses on the bedside table, wondering if they'd caused the confusion. It seemed a silly thing to be confused about, so Harry dismissed it.

'Do I look like him?' he whispered, examining his face from different angles. 'I've got black hair too.'

It was an hour before he finally collapsed into bed, yawning widely. Harry didn't read his Potions textbook that night, but his dreams were of nothing else.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hopefully everyone's still enjoying this! Now Harry's settled in at Hogwarts, he has a lot of questions yet to be answered...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3410