Love and Honesty by RavenEcho
Summary: OOTP spoilers...Severus becomes Dudley Dursley’s and Harry’s tutor for the rest of the summer after the end of 5th year. What secrets are revealed?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 30668 Read: 53683 Published: 02 Feb 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Chapter 18 by RavenEcho
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: If it were mine, man I’d be flying high.

Harry laughingly escorted both Hermione and Ginny out of the coach. “Come, my fair ladies, walk with me to my castle,” he said dramatically, helping the girls down.

The girls giggled and walked through the entrance hall to the great hall, where they sat down together at the Gryffindor table. Harry glanced up to the staff table where he saw Severus- he still couldn’t think up him as Father- watching him. Harry nodded slightly, and the potions master nodded in return. At that moment, Ginny poked Harry in the side and advised, “Don’t think about it tonight, Harry. You can talk to him tomorrow.”

Harry was about to reply with a protest but was silenced by Hermione. “Shush, the new first years are coming in,” she pointed at the straggling line of children.

“Joy, joy,” Harry muttered sarcastically. “I just love little children.” He sank into a sulky silence for the rest of the Sorting at Hermione’s scathing glare.

“Six new Gryffindors,” Ginny said proudly, scooping some mashed potatoes onto her plate.

“Great,” Harry said. “Six more little impudent brats that can’t find their way around the castle. Do you remember the ones last year? They were nasty little things.”

“For goodness sake, Harry,” Hermione began a lecture. “They’re children. You were that little and annoying once too.”

Luckily for Harry, Neville came over before Hermione could really get into the swing of her tirade. “Hiya Harry. How was your summer?”

“It was pretty good, except for I got into a fight with Ron. I’m hoping he’ll come to his senses in a few days though.”

“Yeah, I noticed you weren’t sitting together. I hope that works out.”

“Thanks Neville. How was your summer? Did you get to go to that plant exhibit that you wanted to see?”

Neville grinned. “Yeah, I did. It was really awesome. I got a new plant to go by my bed in the dorm. It’s a Cackling Cactus. It cackles whenever there are dark things around, but it giggles when it’s really happy.”

That made Harry, Hermione, and Ginny all smile. “That sounds really great, Neville,” Ginny said.

Neville blushed. “Guess what else?” he said, sounding really excited.

“What?” Hermione asked.

“I got a perfect score on my Herbology O.W.L., and Professor Sprout says if I do half as well on the N.E.W.T., she’ll give me an internship after Hogwarts so I can get a job in Herbology.”

“That’s fantastic,” Harry beamed, happy for his friend.

“Yeah, Grandmother was really pleased. She offered to buy me an owl or a cat, but Trevor is good enough for me.” Neville held up his beloved toad. “I’m gonna go talk to Dean and Seamus now; I’ll see you all later.”

“Bye Neville,” they chorused, as the other boy walked away.

Ginny smiled. “That really is great for Neville,” she said.

“I know,” Hermione said, now digging into some ice-cream. “Neville’s a great guy; if anyone deserves it, he does.”

Harry nodded, thinking about Neville’s part in the Department of Mysteries last year. He really was a true Gryffindor.

Dumbledore stood when everyone had finished eating, and the talking immediately died down. “Another year at Hogwarts, and I bid welcome to all here, the old faces and the new. I won’t say much, because it is late, and school begins tomorrow, but I will say this: Remember that there is no tool so valuable as knowledge, unless it is friendship. As the sorting hat reminded us earlier this very evening, in this hour of unsteadiness, we must not remain divided. I give you that to think on. Good night!”

Harry walked up to the tower with Hermione and Ginny, thinking about what Dumbledore had said. He was right, but what could Harry do about it. The rivalries were set, Slytherin versus Gryffindor. It was a tradition set through centuries. Even if this new bunch of first years at Hogwarts didn’t have the same rivalries, there were six solid years above them that firmly believed in them. ‘I’m sorry Dumbledore, but you are too late,’ Harry thought. ‘And not for the first time, either.’

The new trio entered the Gryffindor common room followed by a pack of other Gryffindors. Harry bid good night to Hermione and Ginny and went upstairs to his dorm. ‘Maybe in the morning Ron will have come to sense,’ Harry thought lazily as he fell asleep.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks to everyone who reviewed; this stuff keeps me writing!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=342