Love and Honesty by RavenEcho
Summary: OOTP spoilers...Severus becomes Dudley Dursley’s and Harry’s tutor for the rest of the summer after the end of 5th year. What secrets are revealed?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 30668 Read: 53483 Published: 02 Feb 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Chapter 2 by RavenEcho
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I own nothing! It’s all the great J.K. Rowling’s!

Harry walked slowly back to the guest room, wondering if he was imagining things. First Professor Snape became his tutor- but didn’t he hate muggles? Then he said he hated Dumbledore- but didn’t he love the man for giving him a second chance? And then he said he was going to teach him- even though last year he said he never wanted anything to do with him again. And what was it that he let slip about a bad childhood? But before Harry had time to attempt an answer at any of these questions, he found himself at Snape’s door.

He could faintly hear Professor Snape’s quietly angry tones through the door, so he must have disabled the Silencing Charms. But who was he telling off? Surely not spoiled Dudley Dursley? Harry knocked and the door swung open to reveal Severus Snape, looking livid, glance up at him and then turn back toward Dudley.

“What do you mean, you don’t know how to do long division? You’re sixteen years old. You’re at a private school. Aren’t they supposed to have some advanced education system?”

Dudley only whimpered slightly and Harry couldn’t restrain a chuckle. At this, Severus rounded on him.

“There you are! Finally! Here’s the book you’ll be working with, boy.” Severus shoved the thick text into Harry’s stomach. Then he stepped closer and whispered, “Tap it twice with your wand and it’ll become a potions textbook. Tap it three times and it’ll turn back into a normal math book. Memorize pages 46 through 57; you’ll be brewing the potion later and you’ll need to know everything.” Then he said louder, “Go to your room and get reading, boy.”

Harry nodded hesitantly and slowly paced from the room. One potion? Why was Snape letting him off so easy? Shouldn’t he be writing some long essay about some random herb and why it reacts the way it does with some other random herb? It just didn’t make sense. Harry entered his room and threw himself onto his bed. What page had it been? Oh yeah... 46. He flipped to the required page, then groaned at what he found. The Draught of Peace. Great. So Snape had remembered Harry’s failure at brewing this at the beginning of last year. Well that was just wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. Harry sighed and pulled out parchment and a quill. Since Sirius had died, Harry more commonly wrote to Remus now. He had promised to write him about the tutor. Might as well do it now while he wasn’t being watched.

Remus, The tutor came this morning. You’ll never believe who it was. Yup. Professor Snape. The oily snake himself. He’s acting weird though. He actually offered to teach me Occlumency again! And Potions too so I can take Advanced Potions next year and become an auror. I’m sure that you remember my rather dismal O.W.L. scores in that course. Oh well. At least I only made four ‘Dreadful’s’- one in Potions, one in History of Magic, one in Astronomy, and one in Divination. I expected all of them, so it’s not really a problem. At least I got ‘Amazing’s’ and ‘Exceeds Expectation’s’ in everything else. Enough to pass, and I got all the other qualifications for auror training. Well, I need to go read up on the Draught of Peace, so I’ll write more later.

Harry

“Hedwig, come here.”

The snowy owl hooted and fluttered over to Harry and perched on his hand, then stuck out her leg for the letter. Harry carefully tied it to her leg, stroked her white head, then carried her to the window and set her off.

Harry wasn’t sure about his feelings about Sirius. He had done most of his mourning last month. The Dursley’s had gotten a letter from Dumbledore concerning Sirius’ death, and had pretty much let him do what he wanted during the day for all of July. Harry hadn’t cried since his birthday, when Remus sent him a copy of Sirius’ will. Sirius had given half his considerable inheritance to Harry and half to Remus. He gave the house and everything in it to Harry on the condition that Remus be allowed to stay there and it remain Order headquarters. Harry had, of course, agreed to Remus staying at the dirty old mansion, and could deal with the Order meeting there. Remus had written saying that he’d been hard at work cleaning up the place, and Harry had hoped he’d be able to stay there for the week before term started. Now that Snape was here, he wasn’t sure that wish would be fulfilled.

Harry shook himself and resumed reading about the Draught of Peace. It was intensely boring. Pulling out more parchment, he began to scrawl down some sloppy notes, knowing that would help him commit the assigned pages to memory. Wouldn’t want to get on the bad side of Snape on the first day, after all. Just as Harry finished the last excruciatingly long sentence, there was a soft knock and Professor Snape appeared in the doorway.

He stepped inside, and with a wave of his wand and a muttered word, the silencing charms were up. Another wave, and a cauldron appeared. A third wave, and a fire was crackling underneath. A fourth, and all the supplies appeared. Severus took the book from Harry’s hands.

“I hope you did your reading well, Potter.”

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks for all your reviews, everyone! Keep them coming, please, and the next chapter will be out soon. Oh yeah, and no flames please, unless they’ve got advice in them.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=342