Harry's guide to being a grownup by Hopeless Wanderer
Summary: What happens when your child asks the most dreaded question there is in the ups and downs of being a parent? where do babies come from?!

*Halloween special added!!*
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charity Burbage, Other
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Secretive, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, Family, Fantasy, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Parody
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Baby fic, Child fic, Hufflepuff!Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Before Harry is born, 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year, 5th summer, 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 7th Year, 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry), 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Out of Character, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 21492 Read: 11532 Published: 14 Sep 2017 Updated: 19 Nov 2017
Chapter 3 by Hopeless Wanderer
Author's Notes:
...sorry? this chapter was too late for my tastes.

thanks for reading, enjoy and please leave a review ;D
Chapter three.

Harry got half through his Chemistry homework when Professor Snape declared bed time. Since Harry had spent a lot of time in the man's house more than himself, the guest room was unofficially stamped upon as his. Harry wondered if he should leave some of his clothes and spare books here just in case. Normally he wasn't that rash to leave everything and run. He knew better, if his belongings got in the way of his parents they were either demolished or lost, or thrown away in spite. With that in consideration Harry always made sure to pack his stuff out of the way since he was a child.

Last night was different though, Harry didn't even have enough will to sneak upstairs to escape the storm havocking downstairs. With a wince he realized that he was probably the one who was going to clean all that mess today, if his mother didn't have other plans for him. He should probably borrow some cash from Professor Snape and buy some gloves on the way home, no point in accidentally cutting himself while cleaning.

If he didn't clean up the evidence, no one would. His father was either always away at work, or out with his friends, mom often disappeared for a few days without leaving a note or packing anything and came back looking as if she had been lost in a forest. And Harry was all alone.

Before Harry knew Professor, he had to do everything for himself. He had to cook for himself if he didn't want to starve when his mother disappeared, he had to sleep in his bed all alone when no one was home at night, or curled up in a tight ball on their couch, with TV on all night, and those weren't even the worst.
The worst happened when Mom decided to take him with her as she went on one of her 'Adventures', when he was eight. Harry hadn't been daydreaming, the woman /did/ actually go out in the forests or took monstrous hikes only for the fun of it. His mother was basically a mix-up cocktail of bitterness, adventurous, and crazy all smashed together. Put all of that together and a child in the same house and you'll see what kind of childhood Harry had.

"Harry? Your mother is here." a deep voice called from downstairs and Harry's heart dropped.

Quickly, he scurried off his bed and picked up the messenger bag Snape had lent him for school. They were both skeptical about his Mother actually showing up or bringing his stuff with her.

He felt both reluctant but in a hurry at the same time as he descended downstairs, reluctant because his mom had actually shown up and the possibility of Harry going to school today was less likely than his parents apologizing to Snape for all the trouble their son has caused for him.

His mother was standing by the door, looking nonchalant and bored, not even bothering to make small talk with the man standing next to her stoically.
Harry gulped the bile in his throat and skipped the last three steps with his homework crunched in his arms.

"Harry." Professor Snape nodded in farewell, raising an eyebrow at the dismal state his homework was in. Harry smiled sheepishly, knowing that if he made any move to hug the man goodbye his mother would surely speak up. Her silence was for the best.

"Thanks for having me over last night sir. Sorry for being a hassle." his eyes nervously twitched over to his mother's reaction and saw none. Harry didn't know if he was baffled or relieved. He swung the messenger bag on his shoulder.

Snape nodded at him and turned to mom. "I will see you in school Mr. Potter. Mrs. Potter?" he drawled out. Mom raised a sarcastic eyebrow and rolled her eyes.

"Hurry along."

No thank-yous, no gratitude or at least any explanations. Nothing. That was exactly what Harry had expected of her. Sorrowfully and still hesitate, Harry followed her out, pausing only a minute as Snape squeezed his shoulder in reassurance.

"Bye Harry." The boy in question smiled gratefully and raced after his striding mother. No wonder she had parked their car at the furthest spot she could find. She was funny like that.

His assumptions turned out to be accurate and mom had actually parked her car at least two blocks away from Severus's house. Knowing from experience, Harry reluctantly called shot gun and buckled in with shaking hands. His eyes caught a purple duffel bag and his school bagpack in the backseat from the rear mirror.
Mom didn't bother buckling and started the car with a click of her tongue.

"Other kids spend their nights out in clubs and night overs with friends. You go stay with a greasy bat like him." She complained monotonously and handled the wheel with one hand, she fumbled in her bag with the other.

"I'm sorry." no point arguing with her. She was in the /mood/.

She pursed her lips, wiping off a lipstick stain right next to her upper lip."Whatever. Try doing something creative next time. Instead of running to your teacher."

"Like doing drugs?" he was not joking in the slightest.

Mom did not take it as a joke anyway. "See? you can improve."

Rolling his eyes, Harry shifted and turned away from his mother, despising the smell of cigarette and heavy perfume lingering in the car, no wonder other kids made fun of him.

Mom sighed, Harry straightened his shoulders and looked out of the window. "Wait. School's that way."

"I'm well aware Wikipedia." another roll of eyes.

Harry blew out his breath in anger. "Mom, what the hell?! I have school!" please let her not argue his point. Harry pleaded. Today could not possibly be one of those days. He couldn't let mom wander away to a forest or something with him on her tail, specially not when he had skipped so many classes already.

"Just once, try to be different from your father." she growled out in response, Harry could see her nails digging in leather.

"I can't skip classes mom. Please." there was no way that he was skipping. He has both Chemistry and math today, and Snape could only cover for him so much.
Mom took a left turn and leaned back in her seat with ease, her hand slipped from the wheel momentarily to fiddle with the purse in her lap. "That's what he said. Where's he now? Working his ass off, that's where he is."

Harry's widened eyes were etched to the window, watching in bewilderment, that how with each passing second they got further from school. "I can't come to another camping trip with you."

Mom dropped her unlit cigarette and gaped in indignation. "Camping trip?! Is that what your father calls it? What else has he crammed into your brain when I was away?" angrily, her hands went around the wheel. Harry clutched the end of his seat.

"He hasn't done anything..."

Mom interrupted him with a snarl. "Always the goody two shoes, isn't he? Tell me, is that what your teacher thinks too?"

"Mom..." not this argument. He was not ready for this one.

"Men." she spat out. "You're all the same. Fucking abominations... That's what they are." her blouse creased, and she shifted again.

"Please, I need to go to school, I can't skim off. " he smacked his mouth shut the moment he realized that he had slipped. Damn. He thought, trying to shrink further in his seat.

Mom narrowed her eyes and glared at him with cold calculating eyes. "Skim off... Camping trip... Had a nice chat with your dad, haven't you?"

"N...No."

She hissed."Don't lie! Camping trips! What's next? Did he also say that I'm having an affair?"

"Mo...S..School."

She shook her head, and all Harry could see was sheer disappointment. "How hard I tried for you to turn out good. To be something he wasn't. When are you going to realize that he's not a god?" she emphasized on the last word, and pressed the horn with the palm of her hand.

"Bloody retards." she muttered and pulled out of the line.

"M...Mom."

She sneered. "Mom? That's all you have to say? I work my ass off to sway you away from his ways and you bounce right back! Your chemistry teacher?! Are you fucking serious Harry?! What's next?! Honestly... Don't make me say things I regret..." the cigarette was finally lit, white swirls of smoke smothered him.

"I..It... It was.. Ra..raining..." Harry coughed. No matter how long he had endured that smell, it was always as repulsive as the first time.

"And he magically turned out to be your Knight in shining armor, didn't he? Just like your dad. No sense of shame or self preservation. I'm telling you now, if you're about to take his side, don't expect me to get your custody in court. " she took a moment to let the smoke out and etched her eyes solely to the road. Emotionless.

"M..Mom."

"Instead of bawling, man up. See your dad's true self. Don't let his lies get to you. He told you I'm having an affair, didn't he? Ever occurred to you, that he actually meant himself? He runs off his mouth in my absence, and you, like the gullible pig you are... Sniff it right up." as if on cue, she shook off the ashes out of the half opened window, with a slight flick of her wrist.

"School.." he only had ten minutes to make it. Then he would be late. Then Professor Snape would be disappointed in him, then Harry would be ashamed, and then everyone will gossip about his absence. Mom did not seem to understand importance of this. Not at all.

"School... Is that what you really want?! To waste your life away to follow a path your father did?! You're fucking pathetic." was that how a mother spoke to her child? Did Professor Snape ever talk to him like that? Of course not. Even when the man was angry at him, which was considerably a lot more than Harry would have liked, he would always keep his cool. He was the adult and he acted like it. What would he say in this situation?

"Walk Harry. I'm certain that you can make it to the school in time." that was exactly what he would say. Harry gulped and looked at the blurred trees and houses as they passed by. He could still make it.

"Mom, stop th..the car." he gripped his bag to his chest, and unbuckled his seat with a sudden scowl.

"Harry." mom said threateningly.

Harry snapped his jaw with determination. "Stop the car." he didn't even stutter. Mom slammed her foot on the break in the middle of the road and glared. The sound of the tires screeching, had Harry flinching back in his seat

"Fine, get out you Bastard. Take the bags with you. I'm going on a 'camping trip'." she reached over him and opened his door. Her nail intentionally caught his arm and jagged it with sharp painted nails.

"I can't bring a duffel bag to my school..."

"Your problem, isn't it? Get out now." Harry shot out of his seat and raced to the backseat in a flash, he flung the door open and fished out both bags.

"Mom, at least drive me back..."

Mom clicked her tongue at the cars honking behind them. "Last chance, stay or walk all the way back. Pick the bags or they'll go with me." she closed the doors and raised her eyebrow. Harry realized with a jolt, that he had no lunch money, or money to get a ride, or buy gloves.

"Some money, maybe? I need a ride back home."

"Get it from your dad. I don't have enough to waste on you."

"You're just like him. When you're not here then so isn't he. I hate you both."

"The bags."

"Fuck you."

"Wow, you're actually swearing, that's an improvement."

"I feel sorry for you." he slammed the door shut and immediately started off the other way, the duffel bag was wrung in his fingers, his shoulders both saddled with the weight of his bags. Snape was wrong in calling her in the first place. Harry thought angrily, his quick steps turned into fast wide strides so he could at least get to the first period in time.

"You're late." it was the first thing he heard upon sitting down on his bench. Disheveled and blushing as he realized every student was staring at him. Snape's indifference to Harry's lateness, reluctantly called all of the gossipers away, and the lesson started anew.

Harry ducked his head. "I had to walk here." more like run as if his body was set on fire.

Hermione's eyebrows shot up as she was intently listening to Professor Snake's lecture, Ron didn't even pretend to listen anymore.

"Right. You okay?"

"Fine." they didn't ask more than that. And Harry was grateful. Of course he wasn't okay, mom just threatened to give him up, left him on the streets with a purple duffel bag and had no intentions of retuning home whatsoever. At least not until she was done 'camping'.

Professor Snape seemed to sense his inner distress, but remained blank, though Harry saw a flicker of worry behind his cold calculating eyes as it passed over his head. Harry subtly dropped his duffel bag next to the man's desk as he was exiting, hoping that the man would pick it up for him.

Aside from that blunder the first period was actually a good one, considering the fact that his homework was only half way done and he looked like he had just gotten out of a marathon, other students were too scared of Snape to bring it up or act on it. It was the second period that made him want to melt in the walls.
History with Mr. Bennet was not an enjoyable class, though the bald lanky man was good hearted in nature, he was no teacher. So there was no wonder that chaotic was often what came to mind when they thought about history class. Since none of his close friends were in the same period as him, Harry tried to make himself invisible by settling next to the wall, on the back row seat, as far as he could get from Seamus Finnegan.

That boy was a jerk. In that there was no doubt, but as much as He displayed his general jerkiness, there was something more terrifying and long lasting than that. Seamus was also a gossiper. Actually, he was /the/ gossiper in boy's group. And he was Harry's neighbor.

They had history and math together, and normally... They got along fine, Harry wouldn't consider the jock his friend, but they were on civil terms, and Seamus had exchanged cheat sheets with him every once in a while. When he was too shaken up to do a last moment studying. So they were cool according to the bro code.
Trying to ignore the finger pointing and the whispers directed at him, Harry pointlessly opened his text book and stared down, not really reading as much as trying to tune everything out. Maybe he should've gone with his mom.

That period passed by excruciatingly, immensely glad that Bennet didn't call on him, Harry felt like walking on jellies as he monotonously took one step ahead of the other and out of the class. Lunch was pretty much the same as always, with no money or even a snack, Harry decided it would be best to fish out his essays and double check them with Hermione.

That was when his hand brushed over something strange. Looking down, Harry opened the messenger bag farther and gaped.
Was that... A sandwich?

scrambling to close his gaping mouth, Harry slowly extended his hand in the bag and pulled out the tightly wrapped sandwich out of his bag, his eyes we're widened dramatically behind his thin framed glasses. Holy shit. Holy. Shit.

Snape had actually wrapped up a sandwich for him? Just so he wouldn't go hungry? Even his own mother didn't care enough to do that. Tears almost ringed around his eyes and Harry forced them shut to keep the hot coiling tears away that would definitely follow by ugly sobs and a lot of snot, the sandwich clutched tightly in his hands.

Something sparked in his chest, Harry had came to know that emotion as affection, and he found his teacher's thoughtfulness, rather endearing. Harry knew the man wasn't that experienced in raising a child or dealing with a teenager when he had lived all by himself for god knew how long, but this... This left him speechless. It was as so touching, that a total strange had been concerned enough to pack him lunch, when his parents didn't care about loading him off on a road with a duffel bag and no money.

Engrossed in his lunch, and ignoring everyone else around him who were mostly looking at him oddly, Harry opened up the wrapper and grinned. Peanut butter and jelly. God he could worship that man right now. He thought happily, and started munching on his treat. It was clumsily made though, too much jelly had made the bread a little soggy, but in his Harry's eyes it was perfect.

"You look like you're up in the clouds? Is it that good? " Hermione rose a skeptical eyebrow. Harry nodded feverishly, although a little sheepish.

"It's perfect. " now he just needed to find a bathroom stall to cry his eyes out. No big deal.

It was a full stomach and a satisfied smile that followed Harry out of the cafeteria that day, he couldn't even care about being pointed at, when he was this happy.
Unfortunately the good mood didn't last long, as the bell rang, and Harry was happily scribbling off notes in his notebook, the realization hit him like a train. What the hell was he going to do?

He said his farewells, packed up his bags, stalled his steps as long as he could manage without alarming anyone and reluctantly stepped out of the building with a racing heart.

He always had a spare key in his bag, and he could manage a walk to his house even though he was exhausted and had no idea where he was heading. But no one was waiting for him. The house would be vacant. Mom left this morning and Dad would most definitely stay at work, Harry on the other hand, was left with broken furniture and no money, limited grocery and little talent in cooking. His feet took his stray.

Dejected, his half lidded eyes were what led him along the pavement, he fiddled with the zipper on his bag, trying to find his phone. It should be somewhere in there, although Harry didn't know the last time he had used it this past week.

Finally, he fished out his phone and stopped by the bus stop.

'Mom left again. I'm alone at home. Is there some cash so I can buy groceries? ' he hit send, and gulped the bile forming in his throat.

The response didn't come. Harry tried his luck by the next stop bus. still only having a general idea of his location.

'Dad, mom left me off on a road with no money. I'm on the way home and I need money so I can keep myself alive. Call me. '

Again no response, so he must be in a meeting. Harry dialed the man's number. It went on voice mail.

"Dad, it's Harry. I'm alone, hungry and I have no money. Mom left me four boulevards away from school this morning with a duffel bag, I forgo... t t.. o pi... c.. k it up. Call me. "

Fuck him anyways. Harry thought angrily, he slumped down on the ground and sat next to a tree, watching as cars occasionally went by. He drew his knees up to his chest and fiddled with his phone. Could he go to Ron's or Hermione's house, maybe? It was too far. And he was beat, he was so tired he hadn't even arrived home yet.

Maybe Seamus' mom would let him have a meal? Or borrow some money? Harry really didn't want to turn to neighbors for help, specially them. But he would if he was desperate enough.

Professor Snape.

Helpless tears flowed down his cheeks and he sniffled. Maybe he should send a man a text? Was he even at school? Did he pick up Harry's duffel bag? Why would he even do that? Why would he care?

He decided to text the man, seeing as he could barely talk.

'Professor Snape? Hi, I'm so sorry to disturb you sir, but I was wondering if you could give me a ride? I'm afraid I'm...

Harry deleted the draft, his shaking fingers typed out another with difficulty.

'Professor Snape? Is it okay for you to pick me up? I think I'm lost. My parents can't.'

Too pathetic, but true. He sent the text and buried his head in his knees, wondering why the hell was this place so deserted this time of the day? Spinners end was normally a quiet neighborhood, but it was so quiet now. Almost strangely so. Was he even in Spinners end? E should've paid more attention while walking.
He could care less though.

His phone rang approximately four minutes after his text. Talk about irony.

"Harry?! Are you okay? " relief flooded in his body and Harry almost sobbed.

"Y__yes. "

"Where are you now? Are you far from your house? " Harry looked around owlishly, no he wasn't that far, he could even make it in a five minutes walk if he pushed himself to hurry.

He wasn't lost. He was just too tired to get up and walk. Thank god.

"M.. Maybe? I don't know. I'm... at a bus stop, sitting by the pole. Two boulevards from school. " or was it three?

"I'm in the car now, I picked your bag. Why were you carrying it this morning? "

"M.. M.. Mom left me. "

"Alright, don't talk then, I'll be there soon, can you seat up on the bench? "

Harry looked around. Disinterested.

"There's no bench. "

"I swear that's exactly what you said in the chemistry lab your first year here. The place was packed with sitting stools. Open your eyes and actually look around, would you? " Harry huffed out a laugh and opened his eyes. He was already feeling better. Snape knew him too well.

The boy heaved a sigh. "No, there's no bench. There's just this bus stop sign and a pole. " he sluggishly gestured at the pole above his head.

"I'm almost there Harry. Why didn't you just get a cab? Or got on the school bus? "

"I don't know. " I would not admit that I had no money. He thought. He didn't even know why, but somehow he just felt ashamed of admitting that.

"You could have at least waited by my office. I didn't know you couldn't walk back home. " the man behind the phone scolded, Harry smirked.

"I can walk back home. I just... I don't why this happened today. " it's like he was suddenly drained. Drained and exhausted.

He hadn't even came from the way he always did though, even if he was vaguely familiar with his surrendering, he had never came back home like this.

"Are you sick? "

"No. Where are you now sir? "

There was a pause and Harry heard a car stop behind him.

There was a sharp thud as a car door closed and Harry felt the shadow of a man falling on him.

"Are you alright Mr. Potter? " the man picked up his bag and Harry used the pole to get on his own feet.

"I'm so sorry that I disturbed you sir. "

"None of that Potter. You don't need to be sorry. "

He helped him into the backseat and Harry gratefully shrank in the seat, next to him, his messenger bag and the purple duffel bag stood out with sharp hideous colors.

He grimaced. "Sorry again. "

Snape buckled in and waves him off.

"How long had you been sitting there for? "

"An hour. " it wasn't that long. His teacher clicked his tongue nonetheless.

"Next time, call me first Harry. I don't care what the time is, even if you just want someone to talk. I'm the first one you should contact. Is that clear? " swiftly, the man managed to both scoff at him and pull his car back on the road.

"Crystal sir. "

"What is the purpose of that duffel bag? "

"My clothes are in it. Mom gave it to me this morning. "

"You said that she left? "

Harry squirmed ."Well, she kinda left /me/ on the road this morning? Dad was too busy to answer my calls. "

"She just left you on the street?! Was that why you were late? Why didn't you tell me sooner? "

"Sorry. I didn't want to.. " burden you. That's what dad would say. He thought grimly.

"Well, Mr. Potter, we might as well stop by your house to pick up some things. You're staying with me, until one of your parents show up and inquire about you. "

"But sir... "

"I said, You're staying with me or a friend until your parents come pick you up. " the man growled dangerously. Angry on his behalf rather at him like his mother was this morning.

"Do you have any idea how dangerous it is? All by yourself in that blasted house? " endless nights of cold canned noodles and the stark blue light of the telly came to the front of his mind. The sheer fear, and his intensified breathing as he heard shuffling around their house.
Harry shivered.

"Thank you sir. Really. Thanks for everything. " Snape hummed, as if he was deep in thought.

"I care about you Potter. Like I would for a son. I hope you know that. " His heart clenched. He did know that, of course he did. What kind of teacher would shelter him from an unstable homelife? pack him lunch when his own mother didn't and pick him up with his car the moment Harry called for help?

"I do sir. And it's more than anything I could ever ask for. "

"Are you hungry Potter? I know a good pizza place. Not far from here. "

"I... " why the hell not? It's not like his mother was here to scold him here anyways.

"I would like that very much sir. "

"Settle in then . "
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3428