Cripple Me by krosi
Summary: Severus Snape hates Harry Potter. Nothing will ever change that. Nothing. Not even the boy’s sudden intrusion in his life. Or that cheeky smile. Or that all too innocent look. Or the sudden shift in his relationship with the Potter whelp. Not even those green eyes. No, nothing will ever change Severus’s hatred for Harry Potter – no matter how fond of him he was becoming. An eventual Snape adopts Harry story. Beginning in Harry’s first year.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Misc > All written in Snape's POV, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 38 Completed: No Word count: 156580 Read: 155351 Published: 10 Oct 2017 Updated: 04 Mar 2024
Dejected by krosi
Severus found his Daily Prophet resting in its usual place at his table. Harry was still asleep, and he'd let the boy sleep a little longer. Though it was Monday, he knew Harry's first class wasn't until nine am. The boy would be allowed to sleep until eight since he could eat his breakfast here and get ready for the day. After all, he was just adopted last night. Severus could wait to eat his own breakfast until Harry was awake.

The Floo flared in his living room and a parchment flew over to his table. Before he could touch it, it unrolled itself and revealed the headmaster's writing: Report to my office with Harry immediately.

Severus jumped to his feet and made his way to Harry's room. A thousand thoughts raced through his mind about what the headmaster could possibly want. He knocked softly on Harry's door before letting himself in.

He paused at the sight of the child sleeping peacefully in the bed. For a moment, Severus forgot about the urgency to meet Albus and smiled at the child—his child. Nothing could change that now. Whatever the issue, Harry was his.

With that though, Severus gently patted Harry's shoulder, leaning over the bed slightly. "Harry," he whispered, shaking the boy's shoulder slightly. "Harry, wake up."

Harry's eyes blinked awake and he stared up blearily at Severus.

"You need to get up and get dressed," Severus said, standing up straight. "We need to see the Headmaster. "Come on, up with you."

"Five more minutes," Harry muttered, closing his eyes.

"The headmaster needs to see us, Harry."

Harry's eyes snapped open. "What for?"

"I do not know. Get up and dressed, and we will head up to his office."

"Is it about the blood adoption?" Harry asked as he sat up on his bed. He spoke through a yawn. "Did something go wrong?"

"You know the adoption was successful. I am sure this has nothing to do with the adoption. Hurry and dress. Meet me by the fireplace."

Harry nodded and left for the bathroom.

Severus let the child be and waited in the living room for Harry, thinking over everything they had done and the situation of the blood adoption. There could only be one person who would want to see Harry and himself together. And while he knew the new law was in the making, Fudge couldn't possibly arrest him or even fine him for having performed the magic last night. The statute of limitations for a ritualistic bonding that was performed while it was still legal was over. He could not be arrested or fined for what he did. What could Fudge possibly want?

Harry appeared in the living room dressed, though his hair looked untouched. Severus frowned, but Harry reached up and tried to smooth his hair down.

"I brushed it," he said. "It won't look any better."

"It looked quite nicer when I dealt with it yesterday," Severus commented. "Perhaps I should try my luck?"

Harry shook his head. "It's fine! You don't have to brush it for me, I'm not a five-year-old, you know."

Severus smirked. "Glad to know. I'll keep that in mind." Severus ruffled Harry's hair before leading him to the fireplace. He pulled the boy close and floo'd to the headmaster's office. He was not surprised to see Fudge sitting in a chair across from Albus's desk.

Fudge stood as he saw Severus and Harry enter the room, Albus standing as well, greeting the two before leaving his office to give them some privacy.

"Good morning to you, Professor Snape and young Mr. Potter," Fudge greeted.

"Indeed," was Severus's suspicious response.

"Good morning, sir," Harry said.

"I've come to inform you"—Fudge looked at Severus— "that as of this day, blood adoptions are illegal. However, I realize that you have already performed your ritual with Dumbledore performing the binding spell. I guess congratulations are in order."

"You did not come all this way to make a toast," Severus glared, crossing his arms. "Whatever you wish to say, spit it out."

"It's a bit early to be so condescending, don't you think, Professor? Very well, considering the delicacy of this situation we find ourselves in and the secrecy that must be involved, the ministry invokes the right to follow up on this adoption every two weeks for the first three months, and then a yearly follow up after that until the boy is of age."

"You're joking!" Severus snapped, glaring now. Harry glanced back and forth between Fudge and Severus.

"If my agent finds any sign of abuse or neglect, any hints that the environment the child lives in is unfit or unsafe, Harry Potter will be removed from your care."

Severus looked down at Harry, who's eyes widened and his face paled. Severus looked back up at Fudge.

"You cannot do that," Severus said, "the blood adoption will not allow it."

"I would not deny visiting rights," Fudge said, brushing off his robe. "But the boy must be kept in a safe and providable environment. If you cannot provide that, blood adoption or not, I reserve the right to remove the child and place him in Ministry custody. The blood adoptions rely on true admiration for one another, not a safe place to stay. And while the blood wards formed around your home may be strong, the wards around the Ministry are stronger."

"Oh, I doubt that. I do not consent to these visits. And if you dare try to take Harry from me—"

"Be careful who you threaten, Professor. The boy—"

"Stop talking about me like I'm not even here," Harry interrupted, glaring up at the adults.

"Harry," Severus scolded lightly.

"You will mind yourself around me, Mr. Potter," Fudge said.

"No," Harry said, "You're acting like I'm not here and can't hear you. Why do I need checkups? No one seemed to care when Professor Snape took me to his home over Christmas break. Why do you care now?"

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose while Fudge inclined his head.

"Is that so?" Fudge commented. "Well, for your information, it is imperative that the Ministry is aware of where you are at all times. And it is also important that you are in a safe and comfortable environment."

"My aunt and uncle's house was the exact opposite of that."

"You were safe within the blood wards provided by your mother's sacrifice."

"You don't know anything! They were awful to me and no one cared or even checked on me. Now you want to check on me all the time! Why don't you just do what you've always done and leave me alone!"

"Clearly, Snape has not told you to hold your tongue when addressing the Minister of Magic."

"You're being nothing but—"

"Harry Potter," Severus finally said, glaring down at Harry.

Harry blinked up at Severus, his face falling slightly at the stern look Severus was giving him. He looked down, glaring at his shoes. Severus sighed, thinking over Fudge's conditions. As much as he hated agreeing to them, he would have to for now until he could find a loophole. There always was one. He would have to study the new law and some of the child endangerment laws. Somehow, he would get the Ministry off his back. He should have known Fudge would find a way to interfere with his adoption of Harry.

"Well, Snape?" Fudge said.

"Very well," Severus said. "I agree to your terms on one condition."

"Oh?" Fudge raised his brows. "And what might that be? Your agent does not approach Harry without my permission and never when I am not nearby."

Fudge narrowed his eyes at Severus before nodding his head. "Agreed." Fudge looked down at Harry. "Congratulations on your adoption. I hope you are truly happy with the situation."

"I am," Harry muttered moodily, leaning into Severus's side. Severus put an arm around the child's shoulders.

"Humph." Fudge shook his head at the two before turning to leave the office. "My agent will meet with you soon. Good luck, Snape. You'll need it."

Fudge left with that and Albus returned, asking how everything went.

"We have a lot to talk about," Severus said. "I will come back after my morning classes if you are available."

Albus nodded. "I will see you then."

Severus and Harry floo'd back to their quarters. Harry tries to make a beeline to his room.

"I need to go to class," he said.

Severus caught Harry by the sleeve of his robe and directed him to the table. "Class is not for another thirty minutes. Plenty of time to sit for a filling breakfast."

"I'm not hungry."

"You will eat regardless."

Harry sighed loudly before sitting at the table, Severus taking his place at the head. A breakfast of eggs, sausage, and toast appeared for them and they both began eating in silence. After a few minutes passed, Severus looked over at Harry and cleared his throat.

"I know that what Minister Fudge said was alarming, but we will work with him through this until I can find a way to end the need for these visits."

"I don't want to," Harry muttered, losing interest in his food. He pushed his toast through his eggs with his fork.

"I didn't ask if you wanted to—you, young man, will be on your best behavior, understand?"

"Why does he even care?"

"Minister Fudge is a sore loser," Severus said, hoping to lighten the mood. "And he will lose this battle as well. With that said, you will do your absolute best to be polite and courteous with whoever he sends to monitor us. I'm sure within the next few weeks, these visits will be seen as pointless and will be terminated."

Harry was silent. Severus sighed. He was sure Harry was upset from their early meeting. It had not been how he wanted their morning to go, especially with his newly adopted son. However, he needed to address how Harry had behaved around the minister. He hated to do so when he disliked the man completely, but Harry had to learn that he could not act as he did around Fudge or any adult again. But most especially Fudge.

"About this morning in the headmaster's office," Severus began.

"What about it?"

"Let me finish." Severus stared at Harry, allowing silence for a minute. "Your attitude and behavior toward Minister Fudge was very disrespectful. It is impolite to interrupt when someone is speaking and it is deplorable to yell at anyone, especially someone of authority. You know better, and the next time you see Minister Fudge, you will apologize for today's episode."

"I'm not apologizing to him!"

"Harry do not yell at me," Severus warned, setting his own fork down with a loud clank.

"I'm not," Harry said in a quieter voice. "It's not fair—why do I have to apologize?"

"Besides it being the right this to do? It would show the Minister that you are a maturing and respectable young man. If anything, it could only help our case in the long run. Look, I will do my best to convince the ministry that these visits are unnecessary, but until then, whether you like it or not, we are under surveillance and cannot risk any chances. I'm sure I will be scrutinized more than you will be, but you cannot let what anyone says about you or myself get to you. Can you do that?"

"I'll try."

"That's all I ask of you."

"Okay. Can I go with you to see Professor Dumbledore later?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"There are several matters that I must discuss with the headmaster and you do not need to be privy to those conversations."

"But it'll probably involve me."

"You're situation will be addressed, but not everything we will talk about concerns you."

"But most of it will."

Severus bit back an annoyed growl and narrowed his eyes at Harry. "If there is anything that I feel you need to know, I will certainly inform you. Now quit this sulking and finish your breakfast. Classes start in fifteen minutes."

Harry stabbed at a piece of yolk soaked toast, muttering, "It'd just be easier if you let me go with you."

"You are treading on thin ice, young man." Severus picked up his paper as his empty plate vanished, hoping Harry would drop the topic and do as he was told. Instead, he heard the boy scrape his chair away from the table and stomp away to his room, his bedroom door slamming behind him. That did it. Severus was on his feet and marching to Harry's room. He did not appreciate slammed doors.

He entered Harry's room without so much as a knock, finding the boy shoving his homework in his bag. He blocked the doorway, arms crossed as he looked down at the child.

"What have I told you about slamming doors?" he asked.

"Not to," Harry answered, throwing his bag over his shoulder and pausing in front of Severus. "Can I go now?"

"Lose the attitude. And no, you will try answering that question again. What have I told about slamming doors in these quarters?"

"Let me through," Harry demanded, trying to shove past Severus, but the man grabbed his shoulder and pushed him to stand in front. "Stop it! Let me out. I have to go to class."

"And you will—after you answer me."

Severus was prepared to wait Harry out in a stare-down or even a yelling match. What he was not prepared for was the hard kick to his shin that made his leg jerk and forced a hiss through his teeth. Harry ran past Severus, but Severus recovered quickly, ignoring the pain in his leg, and followed after Harry. He snatched the boy by his arm, roughly removing the bag and tossing it on the sofa.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Harry said, "I didn't mean to!"

"You didn't mean to kick me?" Severus growled. "You are about to be a very sorry little boy."

"No," Harry whined, "I have to go to class."

"You'll go when I send you." Severus pushed Harry into an empty corner of his living room. "Do not move a muscle."

Harry made a face. "I'll try to convince my heart to stop."

Annoyed, Severus landed a single smack on the boy's bottom. Harry winced but remained silent. Severus went to his bedroom, briefly rubbing the sting out of his leg. The kid had good aim and a good swing. And a death wish. Severus paced in his bedroom, wanting to calm himself before he dealt with Harry. No student or child ever had the audacity to kick him as Harry has just done.

Something was wrong with his boy, but he couldn't quite place his finger on it. As upsetting as this morning was, it certainly didn't warrant this behavior. He wanted to know what had Harry so upset more than he wanted to punish him. Sitting down on his bed, he called out, "Come here, Harry."

Harry slowly shuffled into the bedroom, looking miserable. Severus held out his hand and his hairbrush flew over to him from its place on his dresser. Harry gulped audibly, but Severus motioned him to come closer. Harry did so, eyeing the hairbrush Severus set down on the bed.

"I'm really sorry," Harry said.

"Harry," Severus began, "I want you to be honest with me or that backside of yours will be getting a dose of the hairbrush. Why in Merlin's name did you kick me? I know this morning was upsetting, but it couldn't have possibly angered you so much you would want to physically harm me."

"I don't want to do that."

"But you did."

"I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking." Harry sniffed and looked down at his shoes.

"If that is truly all you can come up with, you might as well as bend over my lap."

"No, it's not," Harry said, unconsciously taking a step back. Severus gently reached out and grabbed Harry's wrist, pulling the boy back to his place in front of him. He raised an expectant eyebrow. "I—I really don't know why I kicked you, it just happened. I was mad that you weren't letting me leave and all because I slammed the stupid door."

"You know I don't like slammed doors in my quarters. You could break the door or wear it out by repeatedly slamming it. And it is childish and disrespecful."

"I only did it once."

Severus sighed and reached for the hairbrush.

"I won't do it again. I was mad at Fudge. He's ruining everything!"

"Minister Fudge. And what exactly is he ruining?"

"He wants to take me away from you. He's going to be watching us and I'll do something stupid and he'll take me away and send me back to the Dursleys. I don't want to go back." Harry sniffed as two tears chased each other down his cheek.

Severus understood now. Fudge had threatened to remove Harry, and now the boy was terrified that he would be taken away. Severus wanted to curse that man with every dark spell he knew. But Fudge would have to fight tooth and nail to take Harry from him. Over his dead body. Severus pulled Harry into a tight hug, and the boy wrapped his arms around his neck.

"No one is taking you from me," Severus assured Harry. "I will not allow it and nothing you do will cause such an action. Our blood adoption was strong, as are the wards around my house. You are safest with me and Minister Fudge knows that. You are never going back to your relatives. Ever."

Severus pushed Harry back and dragged his thumbs across Harry's cheeks, wiping away a couple tears. He smiled at Harry, fixing the boy's askew glasses. "You are mine now, Harry. And you are stuck with me."

Harry smiled back at Severus. "You promise? But Minister Fudge seemed pretty sure . . ."

"Minister Fudge has not yet learned that he shouldn't mess with what I call mine."

"I guess he'll learn the hard way." Harry leaned forward and hugged Severus again. "Thank you, Professor. I'm sorry about my behavior this morning."

Severus returned the hug. "I forgive you. It's been a rough morning. But if you ever kick me again, you will be getting the hairbrush, not all these hugs."

Harry laugh and pulled back. "If you say so."

Severus narrowed his eyes at Harry. The boy didn't believe him! Severus's eyes trailed up to the boy's still messy hair, and he picked up the brush and tried to fix the damage. That hair would learn to obey him just as Harry was.

"Professor," Harry whined, trying to tolerate the knot pulling. He winced at one rough tug and used a hand to shove the brush away. "Dad, stop."

Severus froze, his eyes wide as he stared blankly at his son. Had he heard that correctly? Harry seemed to realize what he had said and he hid his face in his hands. "I—err, I mean . . ."

Severus pulled Harry's hands away from his face, using a finger under the boy's chin to direct his head and eyes upward to Severus's own.

"Dad," he began, "is perfectly fine with me."

Harry licked his lips and offered a small smile, but before he could say anything, a knock interrupted their moment. Severus frowned, moving Harry aside to stand. He opened his quarters door and nearly stepped back.

It had to be a cruel joke, as if someone had dressed a toad in pink and called it a secretary. There, standing in front of him, was Madam Dolores Umbridge presenting him with a large smile. She held up a clipboard.

"Professor . . . Severus Snape?" She asked, looking up at Severus.

Severus shut the door and leaned against it. "Is it too early for a drink?" He asked himself, closing his eyes and shaking his head.

"Professor?" Harry asked, picking up his bag and tilting his head at Severus. "Who is it?"

"A talking pig," Severus answered, sighing when the woman knocked on his door again. This couldn't be the agent Fudge had sent, could it?" He opened the door again.

Umbridge was still smiling. "I believe you forgot to invite me in, Professor."

"Did I? Common etiquettes must have slipped my mind. Please, come in."
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3435