Cripple Me by krosi
Summary: Severus Snape hates Harry Potter. Nothing will ever change that. Nothing. Not even the boy’s sudden intrusion in his life. Or that cheeky smile. Or that all too innocent look. Or the sudden shift in his relationship with the Potter whelp. Not even those green eyes. No, nothing will ever change Severus’s hatred for Harry Potter – no matter how fond of him he was becoming. An eventual Snape adopts Harry story. Beginning in Harry’s first year.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Misc > All written in Snape's POV, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 39 Completed: No Word count: 168302 Read: 156999 Published: 10 Oct 2017 Updated: 23 Apr 2024
Dependable by krosi

 

“Please, come in and I will call for tea,” Severus said, allowing Umbridge to walk through his door. Umbridge looked around his quarters then immediately began writing on her clipboard. Severus rolled his eyes as he shut the door. The woman was probably commenting on the lack of pink in his quarters. Umbridge’s eyes fell on Harry and her smile grew.

               “You must be Harry Potter,” she said.

               “Yeah, who are you?” Harry asked, making a face at her choice in outfit.

               “Harry,” Severus scolded lightly, “introduce yourself properly.”

               Harry looked at Severus incredulously, but seeing the man’s stern face, he looked back at Umbridge. He smiled and held out a hand. “Yes, I’m Harry. It’s nice to meet you.”

               Umbridge shook his hand, releasing it quickly. “I am Senior Undersecretary Dolores Umbridge. I am here to oversee your so-called . . . relationship with Professor Severus Snape.”

               Harry frowned at the woman, adjusting his bag on his shoulders. “You’re the agent Fudge talked about.”

               “Minister Fudge,” Severus corrected. He tapped the coffee table and tea appeared. He was trying hard not to be too annoyed with Harry’s behavior. He, himself, did not like the woman in his quarters, but he would not allow himself or Harry give off a bad image on their first meet.

               “Yes,” Umbridge said. ‘I’ll be making sure you are in a safe and caring environment as all young children such as yourself should be in. We only want to make sure that bright smiling face stays that way.”

               “It will if you leave us alone,” Harry muttered, looking down.

               “I believe it is time for Mister Potter to head to class,” Severus said. He snapped his fingers, a slip of parchment appearing in his hand. He held it out for Harry. “Here is a note for Professor Flitwick. I am sure he will be understanding for my having a word with you about your grades.”

               Harry rolled his eyes and reached for the note, but Severus did not let it go at Harry’s tug. Harry visibly swallowed and peered up at Severus through his fringe. Severus glared down at the boy, his eyes narrowing. It was a warning and Harry knew it. He muttered an apology and Severus released the note.

               “Off with you,” Severus said, jerking his head toward the door. “I will see you later.”

               Harry nodded and slowly left the quarters. Umbridge was scribbling on her clipboard, but when Harry left, she smiled up at Severus.

               “Children, hmm?” she said. “Such precious little things.”  

Severus said nothing. He held out a cup of tea that Umbridge accepted but did not drink from. “Well, your quarters could use a little color—brighten up the place, you know? Children need vibrancy in their life, it’s good for brain development, I hear. Anyway, as you are aware, I will be watching you and Harry Potter very closely for the next couple weeks. It’s really just to make sure all is well in the boy’s homelife.”

               “I see the ministry only cares about how well things are in the boy’s homelife when things do not go Fudge’s way,” Severus couldn’t help but comment, taking a sip of his tea.

               “You must understand, Professor, this is a very complicated matter. The Boy-Who-Lived cannot be allowed in a new home under new blood wards just because of a blood adoption.”

               “The blood wards the blood adoption created will keep Harry safe.”

               “Yes, I’m sure they will. But will Harry be safe with you? That’s what the Ministry really wants to know. Ex-Death Eater, isn’t that right?”

               “I was a spy. And that was years ago.”

               “But loyalties never change too drastically in most people’s life. At least, not from what I’ve seen in my career, but you’d know nothing of that.”

               “My loyalties are to Albus Dumbledore,” Severus said plainly.

“Perhaps so, but what loyalties do you have for Harry Potter? We all were under the impression that you hated the boy.”

               “People can change.”

               “So much so that you adopt the very same child you hated less than four months ago?”

               “Tell me, when was the last time you cared for someone else in your life?”

               Umbridge sneered at Severus, who raised an eyebrow at her. Huffing, Umbridge scribbled on her clipboard, stepping toward the door, the teacup levitating beside her until it settled down on the coffee table. Umbridge turned, facing Severus.

               “Your history will be investigated thoroughly, Professor Snape,” she said. “As well as your current affairs and relations. And we will be keeping a close eye on how you treat Mr. Potter. If either of you step a single toe out of line, the child will be placed in Ministry care faster than you can blink.”

               With that, Umbridge left Severus’s quarters, leaving behind a seething man.

              

               “It’s a bit early for a drink, don’t you think, Severus?”

               “It’s just a shot,” Severus argued, downing the last bit of his drink before snapping his fingers, vanishing the glass.

               “Careful you do not fall into old habits. Now would be the worst time to do so.”

               “She’s going to go through everything, Albus,” Severus said, dragging a hand down his face. He paced in the headmaster’s office. Ever since that morning, he had been stressing about the next few weeks. He had been admittingly overly harsh with his two morning lectures, taking thirty points from fifth year Gryffindors and a combined fifteen from third year Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws. He even took ten points from his own house when a fifth-year student could not answer his question fast enough. But he just could not get Fudge’s words out of his head. “And knowing Fudge, he will grant her access to whatever she wishes.”

               “The past is in the past, my boy,” Albus said.

               “That doesn’t matter—not to her, not to him. Do you have any idea the things I did working for the Dark Lord? You were there at my trial, you know what’s documented.” Severus sighed and leaned into his hands on Albus’s desk. He closed his eyes and shook his head. “I’m going to lose him.”

               “Don’t think like that.”

               “How can I not? The cards are stacked against me! But I can’t lose him now, I just . . .”

               “The blood adoption was successful and strong. You must have faith in it, Severus. With the blood wards around your house, there is no safer place for Harry on this planet. We know that, Minister Fudge knows that, and Umbridge will do as she is told. You must keep yourself together and keep Harry in line. I’m sure you two will succeed in removing the Ministry’s interference from your lives.”

               Severus nodded, standing up straight. “I need to see Harry again. We should go over a few more things.”

               “Perhaps you should take him out of Hogwarts tonight,” Albus suggested. “Go somewhere with just the two of you. I know you haven’t had the chance to celebrate your adoption yet, this would be the perfect opportunity.”

               “He has classes tomorrow,” Severus protested weakly.

               “One night couldn’t hurt,” Albus said. “You both need this time together to get your minds off school, work, and the Ministry. A little father and son bonding time. Doesn’t that sound splendid?”

               “Hmm,” Severus mused, relenting. “I will not keep Harry out late, but I suppose dinner out would be fair enough.”

               “That’s the spirit,” Albus said. “And as far as the Ministry, I trust you Severus. And I will stand at your side through this. You have my full support.”

               “Thank you. Harry and I will leave after my afternoon classes are complete.”

               Severus left the headmaster’s office and made his way to the Owlery. He called to his tawny owl, Castiel. He summoned parchment and a quill, writing a letter to Harry to meet him at his quarters before dinner. He sent the owl on its way, knowing lunch was being served in the Great Hall now. Severus made his ways down to the potions classroom to prepare for his next classes.  

 

               He was still not in a good mood when dinner rolled around. After two more classes where he had taken several more points and sent one student away in tears, he was more than ready to get out of the school. He tried to take several deep breaths as he led Harry away from Hogwarts past the apparition wards. The boy seemed excited for a night out and Severus tried to focus on the joyous energy radiating off Harry.

               “Where are we going, Professor?” Harry asked, kicking a stone along the path.

               “London, preferably,” Severus answered. “I will not have to worry about your appearance in the muggle world. What are you in the mood for tonight? Anything specific?”

               “What do you mean ‘specific?’”

               “Like Greek, or Italian, or—I don’t know, Chinese, even.”

               “I’ve never had Chinese food before,” Harry said, frowning in thought. “Or spaghetti. Once, Aunt Petunia made spaghetti for dinner and all she gave me was the leftover uncooked noodles. They made my stomach hurt.”

               “Are you saying you’d like to try some real Italian or no Italian at all?” Severus frowned down at Harry.

               Harry shrugged and Severus huffed. “Italian, it is,” he decided, grabbing Harry’s arm and pulling him close. They apparated away from Hogwarts, landing on a busy street in London. Severus paused as Harry made a face and licked his lips uncomfortably.

               “What was wrong with the train or something?” Harry asked.

               “You’ll get used to it. Come.”

               Severus led the way down the street, Harry following. They stepped into one restaurant which was very crowded with many people already seated and several still standing. Severus spoke to the hostess who informed him that there was a ninety-minute wait. Severus growled under his breath and ushered Harry out. Of course, nothing would go well tonight either. It was just one of those days, he supposed.

               “Now what?” Harry asked.

               “I think I know another place nearby. Stay with me please.” Severus walked at a fast clip, Harry barely managing to keep at his side. They turned a block and crossed the road before coming to another restaurant, but Severus drew to a halt just before it, glaring at the door.

               “Closed,” Harry read. “Kind of early to be closed, isn’t it?”

               “Not when the owner is on vacation,” Severus muttered, reading the note before glancing around and grabbing Harry’s arm. He apparated them to a different section of London. He paused as Harry breathed deeply and glared up at him.

               “Can you warn me before you do that?” Harry asked. He looked out of the alleyway they were in. “And where are we now?”

               “Still in London,” Severus said. “There’s an Italian restaurant just down the road from here.”

               Harry blinked. “We couldn’t take a bus?”

               “No, we don’t need a bus—it’ll be a waste of money better spent elsewhere. Although, I’ll admit all this apparating is draining, so hopefully, I can avoid it until after we’ve eaten. Let’s go.”  

               “We don’t have to eat Italian if there’s nowhere available,” Harry said. “I’ll try Chinese.”

               “Nonsense,” Severus shook his head, walking out of the alleyway. “There’s plenty of Italian places around, one of them is bound to have a table for two.”

               “I don’t think I’ll be hungry anymore if we have to apparate again,” Harry said, rubbing his stomach.

               “I have a stomach soother if you need it,” Severus said.

               Harry made another face and shook his head. They were both silent until Severus put an arm out to stop Harry from walking into the street, startling the boy out of his thoughts, a car honking as it flew by.

               “Pay attention to where you are going,” Severus said.

               “Sorry,” Harry said. They waited until the signal across the street gave them the go ahead to cross. “Are we really going out to celebrate the adoption?”

               “Of course, why else would we be going out?”

               “I heard Professor McGonagall talking to Um—err, Madame Umbridge earlier today about . . .”

               “One moment, when did you hear them talking?”

               “Earlier this afternoon, right before lunch. They were outside Professor McGonagall’s office.”

               “And instead of giving them the privacy they deserved you eavesdropped?” Severus stopped walking and turned toward Harry, glaring down at the boy.

               “I didn’t mean to. I was going back to my dorm to put my things away before lunch and they weren’t exactly being quiet. Umbridge was asking McGonagall—”

               “Professor McGonagall, and its Madam Umbridge to you, young man.”

               Harry bit back an annoyed growl and just nodded his head. “She was asking what Professor McGonagall knew about the Dursley’s. And then she asked about you. Professor McGonagall didn’t really give any answers, then Madam Umbridge said that you were already in a foul mood after speaking with her that morning. She said your disop—I mean, dis-disposition would be enough to have me gone.”

               Severus tried not to let those words affect him. “And what would that conversation have to do with us going out?”

               “Well, I didn’t know if you’d really want to celebrate after talking with her. I overheard some other students saying what an awful mood you’ve been in all day. I thought maybe you were just using the adoption thing as an excuse to get out of the castle.”

               “I would never do that, Harry,” Severus said honestly. “We are out to celebrate your being adopted. Madam Umbridge just happened to be an unfortunate start to the day.”

               Harry offered a small smile.

               “As for the eavesdropping . . .”

               Harry’s smile fell. “I said I didn’t mean to. It won’t happen again.”

               “See that it doesn’t,” Severus said, jerking his head toward the restaurant at the end of the sidewalk before walking for it once more. Harry frowned as he followed, keeping close to Severus as the sky darkened and crowds started heading in doors to escape the chilly air.

               “Professor?” Harry asked, looking up at the man.

               However, Severus’s thoughts strayed. That woman would be the death of him. His disposition indeed. She was the reason his mood had been sour since that morning. If the Ministry could learn to leave well enough alone, there would be no problem. But no, the Ministry had to dig up his past, judging every little mistake he had made—the biggest being his Death Eater past and misfortunes. They could not honestly blame him for the crimes he committed under the Dark Lord’s command, especially if he pulled the spy card.   

               “Professor?”

               And what of his past home life? His childhood? He was sure the Ministry would believe he was no better than the abusive father who raised him. After all, father like son, and one tended to raise children in the style their own parents raised them, whether the parenting style was right or wrong. And then throw in his alcohol abuse and he had himself a losing case. Severus closed his eyes tightly, pinching the bridge of his nose for a second before watching where he was going. He was fighting a losing battle. He just knew it. And the last thing he wanted was to lose Harry.  

               “Hey, stop a minute,” Harry’s voice snapped as a small hand grabbed Severus’s sleeve.

               Severus spun around, grabbing Harry’s wrist and pulling the boys hand off his robe before releasing Harry. He pointed a stern finger at the boy, glaring at him.

               “Do not ‘hey’ me. You will never address me in such a manner again, is that clear?”

               “Okay, sorry,” Harry said, rubbing his wrist as his eyes scanned for any onlookers. “But you weren’t listening to me.”

               “That does not give you the right to be disrespectful.”

               “I wasn’t trying to be. I was just trying to get your attention. Worked, didn’t it?” Harry muttered the last part.

               Severus took a step closer to Harry, closing the little bit of distance between them. He lowered his voice as he asked, “Do I need to find us a restroom, Harry?”

               “No, I don’t have to . . .” Harry’s eyes widened, obviously recalling the trip to Diagon Alley. He shook his head and took a step back. “No, no, I’m sorry. Why are you so mad at me?”

               “I’m not mad at you,” Severus said after a sigh. He dragged a hand wearily down his face. “It’s been a long day. Do you still want to eat out? We haven’t exactly had time alone since school started up. And this is a privilege, remember.”

               “I know.” Harry said, watching his shoe crush a small pebble.

               Severus led the last couple of feet to the restaurant, where they were seated immediately at a small booth. Severus glanced over the menu, his eyes quickly falling on the drink variety. Harry barely looked at his menu. Instead, the boy rested his head on the table, kicking his feet as he lifted the menu up enough to read from his position.

               “Sit up,” Severus said, pulling his eyes off the menu to glare at Harry.

               Harry huffed but sat up. He pushed the menu away and crossed his arms.

               “Have you decided on something then?” Severus asked.

               “No, I’m not hungry.”

               “Not nearly half an hour ago, you were excited to eat out and now you are not hungry?”

               Harry shook his head. Severus bit back an annoyed growl and took several deep breaths to control his sparking anger. After a moment, he narrowed his eyes at Harry and asked, “Are you sure? We traveled all the way out here and we’ve just been seated.”

               “Then maybe we shouldn’t have left Hogwarts.”

               “I am trying to be very patient with you . . .”

               “Oh, now you are.” Harry lowered his head, glaring at his shoes.

               “Harry James Potter,” Severus said, leaning forward slightly and lowering his voice, “you are treading on thin ice. It has been a long, stressful day and all I ask from you is a quiet, peaceful dinner in celebration of your adoption.”

               “You can’t force me to celebrate,” Harry said, sliding out of his seat. “And I’m not hungry.”

               With that, Harry stood and left their table. Severus was surprised at the action, but he quickly slid out of his own seat and followed the boy. He grabbed Harry by the arm, turning the child to face him. He lowered his head, so they were nearly nose to nose.

               “You are going to walk back to our table this instant.”

               “No, let me go.”

               “You are causing a scene. Do you really want this to escalate right here, right now?”

               “I just want to go back to Hogwarts. I don’t want to be here anymore. Not if you’re just going to keep snapping at me!”

               Those words hit Severus deep for some reason. So, he was the one snapping, eh? Of course, Harry Potter was never to blame, the wonderful Chosen One. It’s not like Harry had had his own share of cheeky comments that were completely unnecessary this evening. But only Severus was at fault.  

               “Fine,” Severus said, dragging Harry out of the restaurant, ignoring the curious yet nosy looks from seated customers. “You can eat alone in your room and then you’re grounded.”

               “What?” Harry protested as they walked out the door into the dark streets of London once more. “Why am I grounded—I didn’t do anything wrong! Stop pulling me around. Let go!” Harry yanked away from Severus, freeing his arm. In that same moment, Severus snatched Harry’s arm once again, pulled the boy close to him and landed two hard smacks to his rear.

               “We’re in public!” Harry hissed between his teeth, his face turning red as tears of embarrassment welled in his eyes. Thankfully, no one had been around to see, but Harry couldn’t help but scan the surrounding streets with his eyes.

               “I have had enough with you and your mouth tonight,” Severus began, pointing a finger at Harry.

               “What about yours!?” Harry asked, glaring. “Why do you get to be an arse but I can’t be unhappy?”

               Severus bit back several retorts, painfully biting down on his tongue, willing to get his temper under control, willing his emotions to keep at bay over this entire situation. He closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose, refusing to let himself do something he might regret to his newly adopted son. Without reacting to the anger he felt inside him, a new emotion tried to break free, reminding him that he could lose Harry because of his messed up past. And it hurt.

               “Dad?” Harry asked, his voice softer.

               Severus didn’t move. He was still pinching the bridge of his nose, perhaps as an attempt to cover his face as well. He took several deep breaths in and out of his nostrils, one of his deep inhales hitching slightly. He just focused on breathing. It was all he could think to do at this moment. Breathe in. Breathe out.

               “I’m sorry,” Harry said, stepping closer to Severus. “Don’t be sad. It’s okay.”

               Harry wrapped his arms around the man’s middle and Severus brought his arms around the boy’s shoulders, pulling the child against his chest. Severus felt a rush of calmness wash over him as he hugged his son. He rubbed Harry’s back in comforting circles.

               “Are you okay?” Harry asked.

               Severus brushed Harry’s hair back, the action alone releasing much of the tension he had bottled up in him. “I’m all right.”

               “I’m sorry,” Harry said again.

               “I should be the one apologizing to you,” Severus said. “And I’m sorry for being so short with you.”

               “It’s okay,” Harry said. “I’m sorry for being . . . short, too.”

               Severus snorted. “It seems we both have a temper. One that easily feeds off the other.”

               “I know what we need,” Harry said, smiling up at Severus.

               “Hmm. And what would that be?”

               “Chocolate! I was thinking we could get chocolate ice cream and chocolate cake. Yeah, and for dessert, chocolate frogs and . . .”

               “If you think I’m letting you eat chocolate for dinner and dessert, you will be greatly disappointed. We’ll head back to Hogwarts and eat in our quarters. And you are having chicken and greens for dinner. Then I believe you and I need to have a talk.”

 

               Harry sat on the sofa sipping a cup of steamy hot chocolate in the warmth of the crackling fire in the fireplace. Severus knew it wasn’t quite the dessert the boy would have asked for, but it would have to do. He sighed as he walked over to the sofa, sitting next to the boy with his own spiked hot chocolate. Harry instantly moved closer to him, leaning into his side while he put an arm around the boy’s shoulders.

               “About earlier this evening,” Severus began. “I realize that I . . . am more like my father in ways I haven’t even bothered to recognize. And one of those ways is I can be temperamental, especially when I am stressed.”

               “I knew that since my first potions class,” Harry smiled, looking up at Severus.

               “With that said,” Severus continued, unable to resist smirking down at Harry, “I did not mean to lash out at you today. I took out a lot of my frustrations on you simply because you were the only person around me and I was—am angry with the Ministry and . . . admittedly, unsure about what will happen in the next few weeks.”

               “I thought the blood wards were strong.”

               “They are. I am very confident in the adoption and the blood wards. It is my own . . . history I am unsure about. I’ve told you some of it and—”

               “I don’t need to hear more,” Harry shook his head against Severus. “I trust you.”

               The words startled Severus. He watched Harry took a long sip of his chocolate before their eyes met again. “You do?” Severus asked, taking a long sip of his chocolate, the alcohol he added giving a relaxing warmth down his throat.

               “Yeah. I mean you saved me from that broom jinx, you believed me about the Dursleys even when I didn’t want to tell and didn’t let me go back to them over the holidays. You gave me a cool present, and a home, and . . . I don’t know, I just do.”

               “Thank you, Harry,” Severus said, leaning down and planting a kiss on Harry’s head. “That’s all I need from you.”

               “And hugs,” Harry said, wrapping his arms around Severus. “Obviously. Otherwise you get really grumpy.”

               “Is that the impression I’ve given you?” Severus narrowed his eyes. “I think you’ve had too much sugar for one night.”

               Severus reached to take Harry’s hot chocolate mug, but Harry snatched it and downed the rest of it. Severus snorted as Harry set the mug down on the coffee table and leaned in against him once more.

“Little brat,” he commented, ruffling the boy’s unruly hair.

Harry yawned, stretching out more on the sofa and lowering himself until his head rested in Severus’s lap. Severus took another gulp of his chocolate as he watched Harry.

“You should get in bed or head up to your dorm,” he suggested, patting Harry’s shoulder. “It’s getting pretty late.”

“It’s not even ten yet,” Harry yawned again, looking over at the grandfather clock.

“You’ve had a trying day, and you know what your bedtime is at home.”

“Home,” Harry smiled, his eyes closing. “I like when you say that. Home.”

Severus finished his mug of chocolate, knowing Harry was falling sleep. He couldn’t bring himself to wake the child. His child. He absently rubbed circles on Harry’s back as he stared into the fireplace, thinking about what Harry had said. After a while, he looked down at the boy, noting his deep, even breathing. He gathered Harry in his arms, carrying the boy to his bedroom. Severus flicked his wand at Harry to transfigure his clothes into nightwear. Severus smiled at his son.

“This is your home, now, child,” Severus said, turning out the lights. “And I’ll keep it that way.”

 

    

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3435