Cripple Me by krosi
Summary: Severus Snape hates Harry Potter. Nothing will ever change that. Nothing. Not even the boy’s sudden intrusion in his life. Or that cheeky smile. Or that all too innocent look. Or the sudden shift in his relationship with the Potter whelp. Not even those green eyes. No, nothing will ever change Severus’s hatred for Harry Potter – no matter how fond of him he was becoming. An eventual Snape adopts Harry story. Beginning in Harry’s first year.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Misc > All written in Snape's POV, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 39 Completed: No Word count: 168302 Read: 158121 Published: 10 Oct 2017 Updated: 23 Apr 2024
Temper by krosi

               He was trying very hard not to raise his voice as he led Harry down to their quarters. He had meant to speak to Harry about what had been said to Lupin once they were in the privacy of their quarters, but he had been unable to hold his tongue until then, and Harry was too quick to defend himself.

               “I really didn’t mean to tell him,” Harry said, nearly jogging to keep up with Severus’s long strides down the stairway. “It just kind of slipped when we were having tea and . . . why is this such a big deal anyway? He won’t tell anyone.”

               “Whether he would tell anyone or not is hardly the point,” Severus growled, keeping his voice low as they approached the dungeons. “We’ve discussed the importance of secrecy before, and this is not the first time you’ve slipped, so clearly, we need to revisit the subject.”

               “I don’t think this was worth dragging me out of the common room for,” Harry said snidely, and Severus grit his teeth. Obviously, Harry had forgotten what they had previously talked about, and he planned to remind Harry exactly how “worthful” it was to follow his rules regardless of how kind the person he was speaking to was.

               “Which is exactly why we are having this discussion now,” Severus said, opening the door to his quarters and pointing inside, letting Harry enter before him. “Because you clearly do not see how this can backfire on both of us.”

               “Oh, you are so paranoid!” Harry complained as he entered their quarters. He winced when Severus slammed the door shut behind them, the noise echoing in the quiet space.

               “And with good reason,” Severus snapped, pointing at the sofa.

               “I’d rather stand,” Harry muttered, crossing his arms stubbornly.

               “You are really pushing it, young man,” Severus scolded as he grabbed Harry’s arm and forcefully backed his son up into the sofa. “Sit down.”

               “I don’t want to,” Harry said, resisting Severus’s pull on his arm. “Let me go, you’re hurting me.”

               “Then just sit down,” Severus said. “Why are you making this so difficult?”

               “Why are you being such an arse?” Harry snapped back, yanking his arm free from Severus’s hold.

               Severus quickly raised his hand, pausing when Harry flinched. He stopped himself and took several deep breaths as he lowered his arm, clenching his fist at his side for a moment before pointing a stern finger at his son, leaning in close.

               “You deserve a good slap for that attitude,” Severus said, and Harry blushed at the scolding. “Do not ever speak to me in that tone of voice again, do you understand me?”

               “Yes, sir,” Harry said in a calmer tone.

               “Sit down.”

               Harry quickly plopped down onto the sofa. Severus remained standing for a moment as he took deeper breaths. He had not meant to raise his hand in that manner to Harry, and that told him he needed to rein himself in before he did something he regretted. As upset as he was over what Harry had done, it didn’t warrant such punishment, nor did he ever want to strike Harry in the face as he had a couple of years ago that awful night. This hadn’t meant to be an argument or an angry conversation, but of course, neither he nor Harry were very good at holding their tempers. Finally, Severus summoned tea from the kitchen before he sat down next to Harry, fixing a cup for Harry first.

               “Let’s start over,” Severus said. “Perhaps with a spot of tea to help keep us both in check.”

               Severus handed the cup to Harry, who accepted it but didn’t drink from it yet. Severus fixed himself a cup next.

               “I hate it,” Harry said, breaking the silence. “Not being able to talk about it to anyone. It’s so stupid.”

               “I understand,” Severus said, sitting back on the sofa and looking at his son. “Regardless, it is imperative that you remember that you cannot tell anyone without my permission.”

               “It was just Remus,” Harry said. “He won’t tell anyone. I know he won’t. Why is it so important that no one knows. It’s hard not telling anyone. I’ve no one to talk to about . . .”

               Harry trailed off and looked away, taking a sip of the tea.

               “About parental grievances, I’m sure,” Severus supplied, remembering all the talks he had had with Lily about how unfair her parents were about this or that. He had kept much of his own life out of conversation as much as possible, but he was sure Harry wanted more friends to vent to when he felt Severus was being unfair. It was a natural teenage thing, yet Harry was forced into secrecy due to Severus’s situation. Which was one more unfair thing Harry had to complain about.

               “Regardless of your relationship with Lupin,” Severus began, “you should have asked me before you revealed our relationship to him.”

               “I was caught up in his stories about my parents,” Harry explained. “I was telling him about some of the stories you shared with me and it kind of slipped. I didn’t mean to tell him.”

               “And that’s the problem, Harry. You didn’t mean to. That could be a very dangerous mistake in the future. If that information gets out to the wrong person, we are both in trouble. You need to be in the habit of keeping anything related to us out of everyday conversations unless you’ve run it by me first, but you can bet that my answer will probably be no. Your friends knowing is more than I would like to know, and now Lupin knows as well.”

               “He won’t tell anyone,” Harry said.

               “I’m sure he won’t. Not intentionally anyway. Which means he now has to keep this secret to himself for our protection. You see how hard it is for you, do you really want that pressure on every good friend you meet?”

               “No,” Harry admitted softly. “I really didn’t mean to. It’s just so hard and it’s not fair.”

               “I don’t mean to make your life one big secret. However, the Dark Lord may return one day, and if he were to find out how close I am to you . . . well, that could very well be the end for me.”

               “Why do you have to go back to him?” Harry asked, his eyes teary as they met Severus’s.

               “I wish I didn’t have to. But my past mistakes are something I am stuck with whether I like it or not, and the safest thing I can do is spy on the Dark Lord. If I don’t at least pretend to serve him, he will kill me.”

               “All because you were stupid enough to take that mark.”

               “Language,” Severus half-scolded, unable to help the small snort that escaped his nose. “You’re right, though. It’s not my proudest moment, but I promise you that we will both get through it when the time comes. And one day, when it’s all said and done, you may tell anyone and everyone. Until then . . .”

               “Keep my big fat mouth shut,” Harry said, crossing his arms and leaning back in the sofa.

               “Your words, but yes.”

               “I hate it.”

               “I know. I hate it for you. Unfortunately, this is our life right now. And the secrecy of this relationship must remain that way. You are not to tell anyone else about this unless you have run it by me first. And I can tell you there will be rare times I say yes.”

               “I know. I’m sorry, Dad. I really like Remus, though. I don’t regret telling him. He said he’s happy for us. He’s glad you were able to be there when he couldn’t be and that I’m happy. I like having him to talk to.”

               “I’ve noticed,” Severus said. “I’m glad you found someone else to confide in.”

               “Really?” Harry asked, giving Severus a suspicious look.

               Of course not, Severus thought but he swallowed those words and nodded at his son. He was sure Harry noticed his dislike for the man off the bat, and calling Lupin “Remus” and those evening tea visits had not flown well with Severus at first especially when Harry had nearly missed curfew one time, but Severus held back any—dare he call it—jealousy and gave Harry ample opportunity to get to know someone who had been so close to James. It was something he would never be able to offer Harry, and Harry was always so happy after spending time with Lupin. He couldn’t kill his son’s joy, though he did make it absolutely clear to Lupin that he was not a welcomed sight at Hogwarts. He delivered his potions with as much professional decorum as he could muster, offering no more than a few snide remarks when he handed over the vials.

               Of course, Lupin had come to him the other night and expressed his genuine delight and gratitude for Severus adopting Harry, explaining Harry’s latest visit and how he had slipped that Severus was Harry’s adoptive father. Severus had snapped at Lupin that Harry should not have told him and that it was imperative that Lupin tell no one of the relationship. Lupin had been too happy explaining his understanding of the situation, and his lack of outburst to Severus’s words only angered Severus more.

               “You don’t seem to like him very much,” Harry said, interrupting Severus’s thoughts.               

               “Regardless of how I feel about another person, it will not impact your behaviour around them.”

               “No, I know. You just seem to really not like him. I mean, you don’t really like a lot of people, but you don’t hide it around Lupin like you do others.”

               How had Harry become so perceptive to his behaviors? Severus quirked a brow at Harry’s curious look, refusing to fall for the bait Harry was trying to lure him with. He would not be divulging any past history between himself and Lupin, not yet anyway. Perhaps when Harry was much older, much older. Harry sighed as he realized he was not getting anything from Severus, and returned to sipping his tea.

               “I am sorry,” Harry said. “I’ll be more careful in the future.”

               “You’ll come to me first,” Severus reiterated.

               “Yes, sir. I’ll ask you first if I really want to tell someone.”

               “Thank you.” Severus sipped his own tea, pausing in thought for a moment before he asked, “Have you eaten dinner yet?”

               “No, you dragged me down here before I could go to the Great Hall.”

               “I did not drag you down here,” Severus said, standing up and hiding at the small dining table. He tapped his finger on the table, summoning dishes from the Great Hall, and two plates of pot roast appeared.  

               “Oh, okay,” Harry said, walking over to the table, “kindly threatened, then.”

               Severus gave his son a mild glare.

               “Sit down and eat, you cheeky brat,” Severus said.

               Harry sat down with a grin on his face, setting his tea next to his plate and digging into his food. Severus took his seat at the head of the table, fighting back a smirk himself. They ate in silence for a few minutes before Severus struck up a lighter conversation.

               “How have your classes been?”

               “Good so far. I finished that essay on werewolves that you wanted summarizing page three hundred and ninety-four; I still don’t get why you skipped ahead so far from Remus’s schedule.”

               Severus bit back any comment on that particular assignment. As much as he wanted to warn Harry, it wasn’t his place to reveal a condition like that. Besides, after the relationship Harry and Lupin developed, Harry would most likely do everything he could to protect Lupin’s secret, playing the hero once more. Hopefully, one of the other students caught on and exposed Lupin for what he was. Fear from the students would influence the headmaster (and parents) more than concern from himself ever would. Until then, he would make sure Lupin stayed on top of his potions.

               “Anyway, I really like Remus’s class. He makes learning fun and he’s really helped me along with the patronus charm. Not that I’ve been successful yet.”

               “As I have told you, and as I’m sure Lupin’s told you, learning the charm is very complicated and will take time. Not to mention that you are learning the charm well before any students normally would, and not everyone managed a successful corporeal patronus. And that is perfectly fine, as long as the end result keeps dementors at bay. You must remain patient with yourself.”

               “I know, it’s just frustrating. No one else is bothered by them like I am.”

               “You cannot know that for sure.”

               “I guess not.”

               The two ate in silence again for a couple minutes before Harry spoke again.          

               “Ron and Hermione still aren’t talking because of the whole Scabbers and Crookshanks thing. Though he does seem happier now that everyone is talking about him and the Halloween thing.”

               “Surely surviving an encounter with a killer is not a happy event,” Severus said.

               “No, but it’s always me everyone talks about usually. I think Ron likes the change. He can tell the story over and over of how he scared off Sirius Black.”

               “Speaking of Sirius Black,” Severus said, “As things have settled down some and his presence is suddenly absent from the news, I feel more comfortable with you returning to sleeping in your dormitory if you would like. Do not feel pressured to move out of our quarters this instant, but I know you’ve been feeling a bit antsy not spending late nights in your common room with your friends goofing off no doubt . . .”

               “It’s not just that,” Harry butted in. “We study together and work on homework together too.”

               “Indeed. Well, if you are ready, you may return to sleeping in your tower again tonight.”

               “Thanks, Dad. At least I didn’t have to lie about where I’ve been staying. Everyone seemed to think it made sense I would stay in a professor’s quarters for my own safety, though everyone was horrified it was you. They all though you kept me in your secret potions’ lab hanging by my toes from the ceiling.”

               “At least I would know where you are all night,” Severus said, earning a grin from Harry. “I wanted to commend you on how well you’ve handled everything that’s happened so far. You have been very well behaved this year and you’ve taken Black’s escape very seriously. I am very proud of you, Harry.”

               Harry beamed at his father.

               “I told you I wasn’t that stupid,” Harry said.

               “I never thought that for a moment, but you’ve managed to keep yourself out of harm’s way, a new record for you, really.”

               Harry smiled again, and Severus gave his son a proud smile in return. Honestly, Harry had managed to avoid a trip over his knees since the Chamber fiasco, although he had earned a few swats here and there for some smaller transgressions. Perhaps he was finally getting through to Harry about the value of his own life and thinking through his actions before performing them. As they finished their meals, Harry suddenly put his fork down, licking his lips repeatedly as his eyes darted between Severus and his plate. Severus set his own utensils down and sipped his tea. He had a feeling he would not like whatever it was Harry was thinking about, but he had to ask.

               “Spit it out,” he said.

               Harry swallowed audibly before smiling at Severus.

               “I was just thinking about Sirius Black,” he said.

               “What about him?”

               “Well, like you said, he seems to have been absent from the news lately and things are settling down some.”

               Severus sighed as he realized where this was going.

               “The next Hogsmeade trip is coming up and I just thought that maybe—”

               “No,” Severus said firmly.

               “You didn’t even let me—”

               “The answer is no. There is no argument you can come up with that will change my mind. While Sirius Black has disappeared for now, he may very well be waiting for the right opportunity to strike rather than pursuing you directly and sending you off to Hogsmeade would be the opportunity Black needed to snatch you and disappear again. So no, you are not going on the Hogsmeade visit.”

               Harry growled angrily before saying, “What if I stayed with a professor? I won’t go out of anyone’s sight. You could even take me.”

               “I am not available next weekend to escort you to Hogsmeade. Nor will you bug the other professors about babysitting you because you do not have parental permission to go.”

               “But I—”

               “Enough. My answer is no, Harry James, and that is final. If you need a few smacks to get the point across, I’ll gladly oblige.”

               Harry angrily pushed his plate away and leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms, and looking away. Severus bit his inner cheek to keep from scolding Harry about his attitude. As well behaved as Harry had been, he was probably overdue for a good bottom warming. He had been trying to be more lenient with his son, given the circumstances, but if Harry didn’t change his tune in the next few minutes, he would get his son up to date on a spanking.

               “I do not want to hear any more about the Hogsmeade trips until the situation with Black has resolved itself.” Severus paused as he waited for Harry to respond, and when his son didn’t, he added, “Is that clear?”

               “Yes, sir,” Harry said.

               Severus tapped his finger on the table, clearing away their plates.

               “You may decide whether you wish to remain here tonight or head to your tower but decide quickly as curfew is in the next fifteen minutes.”

               It did not surprise Severus that Harry left for his tower that night.

 

               He knew Harry had been up to something earlier. Severus stormed through the castle quickly, hoping to intercept his son before he could return to some safe place and claim he had been there the whole time. He was nearly shaking in anger, and he hoped Harry had the sense to obey him as soon as he caught him. They could walk down quietly to their quarters with no drama, and then Severus could light into his son about his foolish, reckless actions. He knew Harry’s good behavior streak had been bound to end soon; he just hoped it wouldn’t have been like this. Of all the things Harry could have done, this was by far the worst.

               Severus climbed up the stairs, recalling the hall where he had seen his son loitering around earlier that afternoon. He had demanded that Harry return to his tower or follow him down to their quarters then as he had a feeling Harry was up to no good. Harry had still been upset over Severus’s refusal to take Harry to Hogsmeade for the trip the last couple of weeks, holding a grudge that would have rivaled Severus’s own grudges.

               A sharp turn down the hall, and he heard fast footsteps ahead of him. He clenched his fists at his side as he hastened his steps, wanting to catch Harry red-handed.

               Just as he was about to turn down another hall, Harry came barreling over the turn, nearly running right into Severus, who caught his son by his shoulders, halting him immediately.

               Harry gasped and his eyes widened.

               “So,” Severus said, confirming his suspicions in his head. He took in Harry’s sweaty appearance and muddy hands, which Harry quickly shoved in his pockets. Harry tried to give him an innocent look, but he was still panting from his run, and his eyes could not quite meet Severus’s.

               “Follow me down to our quarters this instant,” Severus growled, then he released Harry and turned sharply on his heels, heading back for his quarters.

               He heard Harry gulp before the child followed him.          

               Severus had been hopeful the walk back to his quarters would calm him down some, now that he had seen Harry safe and unharmed, but the opposite was true. He was more furious now than he had been when he heard Draco’s story. They walked down the stairs back to the dungeons, arriving quicker than he would have liked back to his quarters, and he pointed at the chair in the living room.

               “Sit,” he commanded.

               Harry quickly sat down in the armchair, giving Severus an apprehensive look. Severus stood in front of Harry and crossed his arms.

               “Mr. Malfoy has just been to see me with a strange story,” Severus said. “He tells me that he was up by the Shrieking Shack when he ran into your friend, Weasley—apparently alone.”

               Harry said nothing and he appeared to still be catching his breath.

               “Mr. Malfoy states that he was standing talking to Weasley, when a large amount of mud hit him in the back of the head. How do you think that could have happened?”

               “I don’t know,” Harry said softly.

               “No?” Severus said, staring down his son, who looked away from his gaze. He paused a moment before saying. “Mr. Malfoy then saw an extraordinary apparition. Can you imagine what it might have been?”

               “No, sir, I don’t know.”

               “It was your head, Harry,” Severus growled. “Floating in midair.”

               “Well,” Harry started, still avoiding eye contact. “Maybe he’d better go to Madam Pomfrey if he’s seeing things like that.”

               “What would your head have been doing in Hogsmeade, Harry?” Severus said softly. “Your head is not allowed in Hogsmeade. No part of your body has permission to be in Hogsmeade.”

               “I know that,” Harry said, his face trying hard not to reveal any guilt. “It sounds like Malfoy’s having hallucinations.”

               “Malfoy is not having hallucinations,” Severus snarled as he bent down, a hand on each arm of Harry’s chair, so that their faces were a foot apart. “If your head was in Hogsmeade, so was the rest of you. After everything we’ve talked about, you went behind my back and took off to the one place I forbid you to be. What I want to know is how you did it.”

               Harry remained silent, looking down at his hands in his lap.

               “Where is your cloak?” Severus asked. “It’s missing from my room.”

               Apparently, Harry knew he was caught, and he slowly reached into his robe and pulled out the Invisibility Cloak Severus had been holding onto for his son until he was a more responsible age for it. Severus snatched the cloak from his son and sent it flying back to where he had been keeping it. He would have to charm the cloak now to let him know when Harry fell for the temptation to take it and use it. He shook his head at his son disappointingly.               

               “Now,” Severus continued, placing his hands on the arms of the chair again. “How did you get past the dementors?”

               Harry refused to speak, keeping a determined look at his hands in his lap.

               “I am losing my patience with you, young man,” Severus said.

               Harry’s hands squeezed each other worryingly but Harry kept his lips sealed.

               Severus growled under his breath before he said, “Turn out your pockets.”

               “What?” Harry’s head snapped up. “Why?”

               “Do as I say. Now.”

               Harry’s hands shook as he reached into his pockets, pulling out a bag of Zonko’s tricks and an old piece of parchment. Severus accepted the Zonko’s bag first, looking at it with disdain before eyeing his son.

               “Was risking your life truly worth a small bag of tricks?” Severus spat, and Harry looked down again, his eyes watering now. Severus narrowed his eyes at his son as he set the bag down on the coffee table behind him, then took the parchment from his son, turning it over, unfolding it, then folding it back up. He glanced up at his son.

               “What is this?” he asked.

               “Spare bit of parchment,” Harry said with a shrug.

               “Surely you don’t need such a very old piece of parchment. Why don’t I just throw this away?” Severus moved his hand toward the fireplace where a fire was steadily blazing to warm the room.

               “No!” Harry cried suddenly, sitting up more in his seat.

               “So,” Severus said triumphantly, “what is this really? A letter, perhaps, written in invisible ink? Or instructions to get into Hogsmeade without passing the dementors?”

               Harrys eyes watered more, and he shook his head, clearly not wanting to reveal whatever the parchment was. Severus rolled his eyes and pulled out his wand, and Harry looked down again.

               “Reveal your secret,” Severus muttered, tapping the parchment with his wand. When nothing happened, he tapped the parchment more urgently as he demanded, “Show yourself! Professor Severus Snape commands you to yield the information you conceal!”

               Then, as though an invisible hand was writing on it, words appeared on the smooth surface of the parchment.

               Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape and begs him to keep his abnormally long nose out of other people’s business.

               Severus froze, realizing exactly who the parchment had once belonged to, and the thought infuriated him, especially considering that Harry had it in his possession. The parchment kept going, adding insult after insult, and Severus noted his son’s dumbfounded look, and he knew this was not what the parchment had previously been used for. It hid something more, and he would get to the bottom of it once and for all. Obviously, that wouldn’t be from Harry, who was too tongue-tied about the true value of the parchment. He gave his son a disappointed look.

               “You are in so much trouble, little boy,” Severus said lowly, shaking his head at Harry, who swallowed and looked down. Severus sighed and pointed a finger down the hall. “Go to your room.”

               Harry hesitated.

               “Now, young man. I will be in to deal with you in a few minutes. Get dressed out of those filthy clothes, and you better be prepared with a long explanation and an apology when I come in.”

               Harry shot out of the chair and nearly ran for his room.

               Severus waited until he heard Harry’s room door shut before he walked over to his fireplace, grabbing a handful of powder and tossing it into the flames.

               “Lupin,” Severus called. “I want a word.”

               The flames revolved quickly before Lupin appeared in them and stepped out of the flames.

               “You called Severus?” Lupin said mildly.

               “I certainly did,” Severus growled, unable to keep the fury off his face. He handed the parchment over to Lupin. “I have just confiscated this from Harry.”

               Lupin accepted the parchment and frowned at it, reading over the words that had appeared while gently crinkling the old material in his hands, as if lost in memory.

               “Well?” Severus demanded. “What was my son carrying around, Lupin?”

               Lupin hesitated, his brown eyes meeting Severus’s dark ones, then he sighed heavily.

               “This is an old map of the castle, of the entire castle, that tells you where professors are at any given time and shows some secret tunnels out of the castle. I have no clue how Harry came upon it. Filch had confiscated it years ago.”

               “I knew it,” Severus spat. “I knew it all along that there was no way you and your pesky friends could have gotten away with so much so easily. And now look what’s happened, Harry’s snuck out of the castle! What if Black had found that?”

               “I agree that Harry should have turned this in the moment he found it, especially where Black is concerned. I would not want any harm to come to Harry, surely you know that.”

               “I do not want to see that in my son’s possession again,” Severus said.

               “Of course, Severus,” Lupin agreed. “I will make sure that this disappears.”

               Severus stepped back pointedly, and Lupin nodded once and took his leave. Severus let out a heavy breath. A map of the entire castle, of course, Harry would find that old thing and sneak out. What child wouldn’t use it? Yet, after everything he had spoken to Harry about, all the rules regarding Black, all the safety measures he had put in place for his son—thrown out the window without a second thought. Harry had been doing so well just to break only a quarter of the way through the year. Severus slowly walked to his son’s room, thinking over how he wanted to deal with Harry, how he could really pound into his son that his life was not to be trifled with. He wanted to make an impression on Harry to avoid this ever happening again.

               He knocked firmly on his son’s door before entering, and Harry sat up on his bed quickly, giving Severus a wary look. Harry had changed into a clean set of muggle clothes, obviously aware that he would not be leaving his room for some time.

               Severus paused in front of Harry and rested his hands on his hips, not saying anything as he narrowed his eyes and studied his son.

               “I’m really sorry, Dad,” Harry said.

               “Hmm,” Severus began, inclining his head. “I am deciding whether or not to take my belt to you, so I hope you have more to say than that.”

               “What?” Harry’s eyes widened. “No, Dad, please don’t do that. I really am sorry. I don’t know what I was thinking, I was just so tired of waiting for my chance to go to Hogsmeade and everyone else was having so much fun on the visits and I was upset that you kept saying no even with Black gone and . . .”

               Severus held up a hand and Harry stopped talking.

               “Slow down and breathe.” Severus waited a moment while Harry sucked in a shaky breath. “You did not have permission to go to Hogsmeade.”

               “I know.”

               “That alone should have kept you on Hogwarts property. But instead, you went sneaking behind my back, stole your invisibility cloak from my room, found some map of the castle—yes, I know it was a map—and instead of turning it in, you used it to sneak out of the one place you were safe from Black. What if Black had gotten his hands on that map? Do you have any idea how easy it would have been for him to get to you? And none of us would have known how he did it! You would just disappear!”

               “I’m sorry!” Harry cried, leaning forward, and covering his face with his hands, sobbing into his hands. “I shouldn’t have done it but nothing happened! I was fine and I had the invisibility cloak on just in case. No one would have seen me, I was safe.”

               “But someone did see you. And that someone could have easily been Black. You might have been invisible then, but if he had realized you were there under that cloak, Harry, there are so many spells he could have used to find you despite it. This is exactly why I didn’t want you at Hogsmeade, there are too many risks. It is far too easy for someone to sneak around the town unnoticed, and what if Black had seen you and snatched you before you could get back to the school? Was risking your life really worth it? Are you happy now? You went on the Hogsmeade trip; did you enjoy it?”  

               “At first,” Harry answered honestly, wiping at his face, “but not anymore.”             

               “Well, remember that small happy moment you had there because it is going to be a very long time before you ever set foot in Hogsmeade again. And I don’t care if Black is caught and given the Kiss next week, you will not be going to Hogsmeade this year.”

               Harry sniffled again, trying hard to hold back more tears.  

               “I am so disappointed in you, Harry, and so betrayed by your actions.” His words made Harry start crying again, but he felt a twinge of guilt saying them, but he felt more hurt by Harry’s actions than that small amount of guilt could not erase. “You were doing so well. I thought I had finally gotten through to you. I guess I was mistaken.”

               “No, you’re not. I knew I shouldn’t have gone. I shouldn’t have done it. I almost didn’t.”

               “Yet, you went anyway.”

               “I know. And I can’t take it back. I should have just waited until Black was caught.”

               “Yes, you should have. Now I have to punish you because you didn’t.”

               “Please don’t use your belt, Dad, please,” Harry begged, his face tear-streaked and his eyes red.

               “Hmm,” Severus said, crossing his arms, drumming his fingers lightly against himself. It was hard enough to find the will to spank Harry when the child was already sobbing his heart out, but this offense was serious. He could not let this slide with a slap on the wrist. But he really didn’t want to pull his belt off and use it on his son, not yet, anyway. It reminded him too much of his own father, who would often strike without good cause, and Harry was already so repentant. He had taken away Hogsmeade for the year regardless of Black’s capture, and Harry was grounded to their quarters once more for an indefinite time. Maybe he was becoming too soft, but he sighed and nodded his head.

               “No belt. Not this time. But you are being reacquainted with the brush, young man.”

               Harry kept crying, not the least bit comforted by that. Severus gently lifted Harry off his bed, then sat down where Harry had been sitting. He positioned Harry between his knees, removed his son’s glasses, then angled Harry’s chin up, so they were eye to eye.

               “You are being punished for stealing your cloak, sneaking off to Hogsmeade, and lying to me about the map. I understand how frustrated you are with the circumstances, but I—the entirety of Hogwarts staff—is doing everything in our power to keep you safe. You do not make it easy by disobeying the rules put in place for you. Do you want to be kidnapped? Do you want Black to get you?”

               Harry shook his head, too choked by his tears to speak.

               “Then you need to respect the rules and obey them to the letter. This behavior you’ve displayed today is not you. You can be a very well-behaved child when you want to be. You’ve proven that to me. If you can keep that behavior up, you won’t find yourself in this position.”

               Harry nodded, more tears escaping his eyes as he blinked.

               With that said, Severus turned Harry over his knees, baring his son’s bottom before summoning the hair brush off Harry’s dresser. He wasted no time lighting a fire on his son’s bottom, Harry’s sobs increasing in the room, his legs kicking out involuntarily.

               Harry was far overdue for a spanking, and Severus made sure it was a hard and long one. He didn’t want to repeat this lesson for a long time—never, if possible. But he knew the likelihood of that was slim with Harry’s record. His penchant for trouble was too powerful for the poor child to have a full six months of good behavior, despite his best efforts. Severus raised his knee the slightest and made sure to focus on Harry’s sit spots, hardening his heart to Harry’s loud yelps.

               After a few minutes, Severus set the brush aside and righted Harry’s clothes. He pulled his son to his feet, and Harry immediately hugged his father, sobbing into Severus’s shoulder. Severus carefully scooped his son into his lap, mindful of the throbbing bottom. Harry only cried harder.

               “I don’t deserve this,” Harry muttered.

               “Don’t deserve what?” Severus asked softly, though he had a feeling he knew what Harry was talking about.

               “I don’t deserve a hug after,” Harry said. “I hurt you and broke your trust and lied . . .”

               “Yes,” Severus said, pressing his son’s head into his shoulder to muffle him. “You did some pretty awful things. But you’ve been punished for them, and I’m reminding you that I still love you. Nothing you do will change that. Ever.”

               “I’m really sorry.”

               “I know. Try to calm down. I would like you to rest in your room for a few hours when you’ve calmed down. You are grounded to your room for the rest of today, then to our quarters until I say otherwise.”

               “Don’t leave me yet,” Harry whispered.

               “I won’t. Not until you’re ready. Take your time, son.”

               Severus held Harry as the teenager calmed down, rubbing his back gently, waiting for as long as Harry needed him to.

              

              

              

              

              

 

              

                

              

              

 

              

              

              

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3435