Learning Friendship by krosi
Summary: Severus Snape is cursed with an affliction that has him human by day and a centaur, named Ajax, by night. One night, Ajax rescues a lonely eleven-year-old Harry Potter and a bond forms between them. They meet each night from that point forward. As Ajax, Severus learns more about Harry than he would have ever wanted to learn. But without revealing himself to Harry, how can Severus help this orphaned boy?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Out of Character Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Creature!fic
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Potions, Snitches and Hooves
Challenges: Potions, Snitches and Hooves
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: No Word count: 103074 Read: 46501 Published: 11 Oct 2017 Updated: 13 Sep 2022
Shadows and Mirrors by krosi
Author's Notes:
The idea of the Shadow World came from Disney’s A Christmas Carol, the 2009 movie. For those who’ve seen it, remember the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come? That is how I picture the shadow world in this story. I am glad everyone is finding this exciting! Enjoy the next chapter!

 

               “What do you want from me?” Harry asked, struggling against the ropes that held him tight to a chair in the middle of a shop.

               Ruse did not answer. He was scanning shelves of knickknacks along the wall, setting down several strange objects on a large table in the center of the room: a bloody red candle, several vials of potions, and a glowing crystal ball. Harry looked back down at the tight ropes constricting around his wrists and ankles. He squirmed, trying to loosen them.

               “Do not bother,” Ruse said, setting down a necklace on the table. “They will only tighten the more you struggle.”

               “Why did you bring me here? And what did you do to Ajax?”

               “You mean you’re cursed friend? He’s probably human again. That powder doesn’t last long.”

               “How did you know . . .?”

               “I’ve studied curses all my life, boy, I know a cursed wizard when I see one. How exactly he was cursed is beyond me, but the transformation powder I used against him would not have worked on a pure centaur. Though, I was hoping his animagus would be something smaller and weaker—a snake or a rat.”

               “Bet you weren’t expecting something that fights back,” Harry muttered, glaring at the man.

               “I shouldn’t have been surprised.” Ruse looked to the floor, Harry followed his gaze, and they watched as Ruse’s shadow detached itself from Ruse, morphing into a horse. The shadow horse pranced around on the floor, its mane flowing behind it. “Horses, though powerful and elegant, are a symbol of freedom. And that is something that wizard, and the Princes before him, has been searching for all his life.”

               Ruse stared at Harry for a long moment, his eyes as dark as the shadows flickering around in the store. Ruse smirked as he stepped over to the crystal ball waving his hands around, the horse still galloping around his feet.

               “They say there is strong magic in love and friendship,” Ruse said. The crystal ball began to glow, before showing a married couple holding hands on a bridge. “Magic beyond our control. It binds people in subtle but meaningful ways. Like their patronuses, for example.” Two silvery eagles flew around the married couple before soaring high above them, disappearing like a cloud.

               Harry frowned. What was Ruse trying to tell him? An uneasy feeling grew in his stomach as he watched the shadow horse prance around his chair.

               “Like the patronus, even a symbol as deep as our animagus form will change to reflect the bond we have created.” The married couple in the crystal ball morphed into a pair of golden eagles and took to the sky. The crystal ball began to darken as the image changed, a black stallion galloping in the center.

               Harry tilted his head back to adjust his glasses and he peered through the lends, watching as the black stallion halted near a large stag. Harry tilted his head as the two animals sniffed noses. Then, the stag began to change, slowly from head to toe, losing the antlers on his head. Finally, what remained was another horse with the fur of a red deer. The two horses galloped side by side before fading away as the crystal’s magic ended.

               Harry threw Ruse a befuddled look, but Ruse had picked up the necklace and was cleaning it with a rag.

               “I must say, not only will it be an honor to have the Harry Potter as a trophy among my collection, but I have never hunted a child before. Perhaps it may even be a new beginning for me. Children are far easier to lure in than adults, don’t you think?”

               Harry’s eyes widened at what Ruse had said before he glared at the man and yelled, “You’re a psycho!”

               “You have no idea,” Ruse said, holding up the necklace, revealing a horse pendant attached to the end of the chain.

               Harry gulped and looked at the ropes holding him captive, wriggling again despite knowing they would only tighten. He had to escape. He heard the clink of vials and looked up to see Ruse working at the table. The man was holding the pendant above the now lit candle, the horse’s eyes glowing a bright brown. Harry’s heart raced in his chest as he watched the man push a button on the pendant and a reddish liquid spilled out into a pink vial. His breath caught when Ruse turned and looked at him.

               “This might hurt,” Ruse stated.

               The shadow horse on the floor reared up, lifting off the floor and rising above Harry. It brought its hooves down sharply, one hoof slicing at Harry’s hand. Harry yelped and grit his teeth, closing his eyes tightly. A long cut across the back of his hand began to bleed, and Ruse used the pendant to suck up some of Harry’s blood to add to the pink vial.

               The pain slowly subsided, and Harry opened his eyes. He looked down, glad to see that the shadow horse had reattached to Ruse, becoming the man’s own shadow once again. Ruse gently swirled the vial. Harry looked at his hand, which was still bleeding—slowly, thankfully. Hearing the soft falls of footsteps, Harry glanced up to see Ruse standing over him with a thoughtful expression, rolling the vial along the palm of his hand.

               Harry clamped his mouth shut and looked away. He shook his head. However, Ruse had a different target, and he shifted Harry’s hand slightly. Uncorking the vial, Ruse slowly began tilting over Harry’s wounded hand. Harry fisted his hand and turned his wrist, but Ruse used his own hand to flatten Harry’s out. Harry cried for Ruse to stop, struggling against the ropes, hissing through his teeth at how tight they were getting, the chafing burning his skin.

               Harry felt the brush of fur before he saw Moony chomp down on Ruse’s wrist, the crack of bone sharp and clear. Ruse dropped the vial and beat down on Moony’s head repeatedly, but the wolf did not let go.

               Moony thrashed Ruse’s wrist as he pulled the man further away from Harry.

              

“Harry,” Severus said as he came around the boy’s chair and used his wand to untie the boy. “Are you okay? Are you hurt?”

               Harry threw his arms around Severus as soon as he was free. Severus was quick to hug him back, lifting him up. “Are you okay?” Severus asked once more.

               Harry nodded, finally finding his tongue. “Yes, just my hand.”

               Severus set Harry down and looked at Harry’s hand, which still slowly bled down his fingers and arm. Severus pulled out his wand which he had summoned from his quarters after turning back into his human self at sunrise.

He was about to tap it on Harry’s hand when a shadow horse jumped up from the ground, becoming half-corporeal as it angrily pawed and snorted at Severus, splitting him and Harry apart. Severus flicked his wand at the shadow. His spell went right through the horse.

The shadow beast bit down on Severus’s wand and threw it aside. Severus held up his hand, a spell on his lips when the shadow horse’s head became corporeal and it headbutted Severus. Severus fell to the ground limply. The horse snorted before turning on Harry, narrowing its black eyes.

Harry gulped as he backed into the wall.

 

Moony continued to pull Ruse away to the opposite side of the shop. Ruse finally flicked a hand at a table’s shadow then back at Moony. The shadow flew over to the wolf, wrapping around his legs and knocking him to the ground. Moony yelped, releasing Ruse.

“I wonder,” Dougal said, walking out of his own shadow on the wall to reveal his presence. He dusted off his fedora before setting it on his head. “What happens when a werewolf in wolf form, but not on a night of a full moon, bites someone. Does the victim become a werewolf? Must it always be under a full moon? Or like those scratches on your face, do you simply just inherit more wolfish tendencies.”

“I guess we’ll find out, won’t we?” Ruse said, holding his hands out to summon shadows in the room.

“No.” Dougal shook his head as he picked up his own shadow, morphing it into a long staff. “You won’t live long enough for us to find out.”

“That’s a shame. It’d make good research.” Ruse threw his hands out at Dougal.

Shadows lifted off the floor, morphing into sharp shards. Dougal spun the staff in his hands, blocking the shards. He struck Ruse across the face with the staff, knocking them both into the shadow world.

The shadow around Moony lifted, and the wolf jumped to his feet and charged the dancing shadows on the floor. He wished he could stomp the left one, for that had been Ruse. But Dougal had explained on the way Ruse’s store that there was no way to interfere with the shadow world. Only mirrors had the magic to trap a shadow.

Moony looked around. Where could he find a mirror?

 

The shadow horse stepped menacingly toward Harry, baring its teeth as it grunted demandingly. It picked something up off the ground with its teeth. Harry eyes widened as he realized it was the pink vial, uncorked, but it hadn’t spilled when it fell. Perhaps there was magic keeping the potion inside.

The horse stepped closer to him, holding out the vial as if it wanted to pour the potion on his bleeding hand itself.

Harry debated his options. The horse was blocking his way to Severus, but he could see the exit to the shop. The horse saw his eyes dart to the door and the horse moved to block his path, snorting angrily.

There was another door in the back of the shop. Harry ran for it, the horse galloping after him. As fast as he could, Harry opened the door and slammed it behind him, just avoiding the Shadow horse’s teeth.

Panting, Harry waited, expecting the horse to just walk through the door. Nothing happened. A light flickered on above him. He realized he was on a stairway and he walked down the steps. The door at the bottom stair was cracked open. Harry had to use his shoulder to push the door open more and it creaked as it did so.

A loud bang echoed from the floor above and Harry stepped into the dimly lit room and slammed the door shut. He looked around the place. There were shelves and shelves of strange vials and jars, shelves of books and loose parchment. Harry kept his hands close to his body, itching the cut on his hand slightly. His eyes fell on the face of a horse.

“Ahh!” Harry cried, expecting the shadow horse.

The horse did not move. And it was white with some brown and wore a red shawl. Harry frowned, reaching out a hand to pet the muzzle. Was it fake? Or . . . stuffed? Harry stepped away from the horse and nearly ran into a large bear. He gasped and backed up into the desk, nearly falling over.

At that point, Harry realized he was surrounded by different animals all around him. He remembered how Ruse seemed adamant about hunting Moony, then taking Harry and turning him into some animal. Was this what the man did with his victims? Turn them into—what even were these? Statues? Stuffed models? There was a word on the tip of Harry’s tongue, but he just couldn’t get it out. Harry’s chest hurt and his eyes watered. These animals were human at one point. Unfortunate customers of Ruse. Just like Moony. And Harry had almost been one of Ruse’s victims.

Something moved out of the corner of Harry’s eye. He looked back at the horse. There was nothing, just the horse with the cat on its back. And the horse’s shadow, which began moving.

Harry gasped as the shadow horse pulled itself up from the floor, neighing at Harry, the pink vial in its mouth.

Harry ran for the door, tugging on the knob.

               The door would not open.

               “Ajax!” Harry cried.

               The shadow horse walked up to Harry; its ears perked with eagerness and its tail flicking.

               Harry looked around for an escape, covering his hand over his wound. He sank to the floor, wondering how quickly he could crawl under the horse. But it was so close now. It hovered over him, the vial tilting in its mouth.

              

               Severus blinked and sat up, rubbing his head and groaning. He looked over at Moony, who was sniffing the shelves. He spotted two shadows moving along the floor. He looked around for Harry, but the boy was gone.

               “Ajax!” It was Harry’s voice. It had come from the back door.

               Severus jumped to his feet and snatched his wand off the ground. He ran for the door, swinging it open and running down the stairs. He grabbed the knob and rattled it. The door was locked. Must be one of those automatic lock spells once shut, Severus thought. He pulled out his wand.

               “Alohomora,” Severus said. He tried the door again. Still locked.

               No, no, he thought. “Harry,” Severus called out, trying to bust down the door with his body. He backed up and kicked the door. But the wood was very solid, and the door did not budge. He kicked the door again.

               “Harry, can you hear me?” Severus asked. He put his ear to the door, listening. There was no sound. Severus tried a few more unlocking spells, as well as a blasting spell before he realized the door was warded against such attacks.

               Running his hands through his hair, Severus took in several deep breaths. He would have to break down the wards one by one to get to Harry. And he better get to work, fast.

 

               Moony found a handheld mirror in a box under a cabinet. It made sense that Ruse would hide any mirrors he might have. Moony picked up the mirror and trotted back to the shadows still dancing on the floor. How on earth they managed to knock down chairs, cauldrons, and books from down in the shadow world was beyond Moony. He set the mirror down at his feet.

               “Dougal!” Moony barked, “I’ve got one!”

               One of the shadows jumped off the floor, landing as Dougal. The man glared at Moony. He reached for the mirror.

               “Do not put it down!” Dougal snapped.

               A shadow wrapped around the mirror and began pulling it across the floor. Moony snarled and jumped on it, biting down on the handle.

The shadow attached to the mirror morphed into a shadow horse, and the creature snorted, its ears flat as it held on to the mirror as well. It lifted its head, pulling Moony up with it. Moony thrashed his body to try and loosen the mirror out of the shadow’s jaws, but the horse merely jerked its head and Moony fell to the ground.

The horse galloped over to a semi-corporeal Ruse, who accepted the mirror from the horse and leaned against his table.

“Look at all I am accomplishing today,” Ruse smiled, holding up the mirror. The horse slithered around Ruse, staring at Dougal and Moony. “My werewolf delivered itself to me, a new animagus is born, and the one way to rid this world of Dougal Campbell forever is in my hands. What a marvelous turn of events.”

Moony snarled, his fur bristled. Dougal folded his arms, adjusting his fedora.

“You came for your brother. Here’s what I’ll do.” Ruse scratched the horse’s neck. The shadow leaned in appreciatively. “You know I love a good deal. I’ll let you take your brother’s taxidermist mount and walk out of this shop. You must leave the werewolf or the centaur man. I’ll even let you take the boy downstairs, if it suits you.”

               “I don’t think you understand, Ruse,” Dougal said, taking a step forward. “I cannot leave knowing you are still alive hunting more people. Your time as serial killer is over.”

               Ruse chuckled and the horse nickered. Ruse turned completely corporeal and glared at Ruse.

               “You can’t stop me,” he said. “You impress me with your skills, but you are no match for me. I’ve lived in the shadows since my mother passed. For thirty years, I perfected the shadow arts. You have only been at it for ten measly years. You will never outmatch me.”

               “Maybe,” Dougal said. “But I can outnumber you.”

               “Outnumber me,” Ruse mused, turning around too late.

               Severus punched Ruse across the face and snatched the mirror.

               “That’s for turning me into a bloody horse,” Severus sneered. He tossed the mirror to Dougal.

               “You see,” Dougal said, stepping forward, “I have found something you have never found.”

               Ruse was on his knees rubbing his face, but he scowled at Dougal. The horse neighed and flew at Dougal. The man merely held up the mirror at the last second and the horse was sucked inside. Dougal kept walking toward Ruse.

               “I have found companionship. And while it took me a while to see that sometimes teamwork is necessary, I figured it out in the end. And I don’t think I would have ever gotten this far without these two warriors. And for that, I thank you both.”

               Dougal nodded at Severus and Moony as he stood over Ruse.

               “You may have the mirror,” Ruse said, “but I know better than to enter the shadows now.”

               “Don’t worry, you don’t need to.”

               Dougal reached down and grabbed Ruse’s shoulder, morphing them both into shadowy figures. He dropped the mirror over them and they both vanished into the reflective glass. Moony ran forward and grabbed the mirror before it could hit the ground. He set it down and sniffed the mirror, whining.

               Severus chewed on his inner cheek. They waited, the only sound in the shop was the large wall clock ticking away.

               Minutes passed. Moony sat down by the mirror. He dropped his head and his ears. Severus lowered his own head with a sigh before he started walking away. Moony wondered where he was going when the mirror began vibrating on the floor.

               Moony jumped back and barked. Severus paused and looked back, his eyes narrowing. The mirror vibrated and spun erratically before a large shadow shot out of the glass and fell to the ground, turning into a corporeal Dougal.

               The man was drenched in sweat and he panted. His eyes fell on the mirror immediately. It began to vibrate again. Dougal picked up the mirror and smashed it repeatedly on the hard floor, shattering the glass. The mirror went still.

               “I can’t believe that worked,” Dougal said.

               “What did you do?” Moony asked.

               “A spell that I read at the same bookstore we first met at. I knew there had to be at least one way out of a mirror before it was shattered and this spell . . . a spit-me-out spell. It will take you out of any object you inconveniently find yourself in. I practiced it on charmed suitcases and wallets and it always worked, but a mirror? I can’t believe it.”

               “We did it,” Moony said, wagging his tail and jumping around Dougal. “We defeated Ruse.”

               Dougal smiled as he pushed to his feet, ruffling Moony’s head as the wolf leaped around at his heels.  

 

               “Harry is still locked in the basement,” Severus said, killing the mood. “I tried everything I knew. I couldn’t get the door open.”

               Moony froze and Dougal grew serious.

               “Ruse has very secure security around and in his shop,” Dougal said. “Nothing is guarded against a shadow wizard though. Come, we have to get to the boy.”

               Everyone ran down the stairs, and Dougal walked right through the door as his shadowy self. There was a long moment of silence before the door clicked and Dougal opened it. He put a finger to his lips before letting Severus and Moony walk past him.

               Severus’s eyes widened and Moony paused midstep.

               There, curled up in a corner of the dark room, was a small hoofed animal, its face hidden under its legs. It was reddish in color and had very distinctive white spots down its back. Severus and Moony tiptoed closer. Severus swore his heart actually broke at seeing Harry forced into an animal through a painful process. He had been too late to stop Ruse.

               “Is he a . . . a deer?” Moony questioned, sniffing at the small body.

               The little animal suddenly lifted his head, staring up at Moony and Severus. The face gave Moony his answer.

               “A horse?” Moony tilted his head.

               “A young foal,” Dougal said, walking over to the two. “A deer horse, in my opinion. Congratulations, Big Pony, it’s a boy.” Dougal patted Severus’s back, ignoring the man’s glare.

               Severus looked back at Harry, kneeling in front of the foal. He held out his hand, allowing the foal to sniff him. Harry whinnied at him.

               “Easy,” Severus said. “Remember me?”

               The foal tilted his head, then gathered his legs under him and pushed to his feet, wobbling slightly. When he found his balance, he took several, stumbling steps forward and fell into Severus’s arms.

               “I’ve got you,” Severus said, helping Harry stand once more. Harry looked up at him with large brown eyes and whinnied again. “Try walking again. Go on.”

               Harry took a few unsteady steps before he seemed to find the hang of walking and in a few minutes, he was leaping around the room, Moony playfully leaping around with him. Dougal paused by Severus.

               “I am very sorry for what happened to Harry,” Dougal said. “I wish we were better prepared for Ruse last night. I had no idea he was making a powder to do what he did to you . . . I never . . .”

               “It’s okay,” Severus said. “Thank you for not letting me run wild all night. And for what you’ve done since.”

               Dougal nodded. He jerked his head at the taxidermist mounts. “All these men and women—I couldn’t save them all.” Dougal walked over to the desk, pulling out a hidden taxidermist mount—a golden retriever with a fedora on its head. Dougal smiled at the dog, muttering, “Finally. I’ve missed you, Cal. It’s time you were buried alongside Mum and Dad. Look, I wear a fedora now, too.”

               Dougal stroked the golden’s fur coat, tears in his eyes.

               “I’m happy for you, Dougal,” Severus said. “Truly.”

               “Thank you,” Dougal said, quickly pulling himself together. “I will leave a tip for the Auror department about this place after I remove all the protection wards around this place. DNA spells will reveal who each mount was, and they will be returned to their respective families.”

               A loud whinny and a thump caught their attention. Severus and Dougal looked at a fallen Harry, the foal’s legs up in the air. Moony nudged the foal until he rolled over, but Harry didn’t jump up. Instead, he yawned.

               “Looks like someone needs a nap,” Dougal smirked. His smile fell as he told Severus, “I swear, I will find the missing ingredient that keeps this process from permanently turning into an animal. If I have to go through every research article, every book, every potion in this shop, I will. It’s the least I can do.”

               “Harry will remain a foal for at least twelve hours,” Moony said, walking over to Severus. “That’s how long I was a wolf the first night.”

               “And then he’ll have a hundred and twenty days after that until he morphs into a horse for good. I will see to it that before that day, he will always have control of his animagus form.”

               “Thank you,” Severus said, walking over to Harry, kneeling to pet the foal’s mane. “He only has two months of school left at least. What will I do with you, Harry?” The foal nuzzled Severus’s hand. Severus sighed and pulled out his wand, casting a feather light charm on the horse before scooping him up. Harry seemed ready to fall asleep in Severus’s arms. “At least you are small enough to apparate. What in Merlin’s name are you exactly? A horse or a deer?”

               “Like Dougal said, a deer horse,” Moony flicked his ears in amusement. “I swore he’d be a stag like his father, at least a fawn at first. But a horse?”

               “It’s like a blend of two father figures, eh?” Dougal said, tilting his fedora.

               Severus narrowed his eyes at that, but he couldn’t deny Dougal’s words. Not with how he was feeling right now. Severus would be dealing with Harry’s disobedience for sure once he was human again. He had never feared more for the boy’s life than last night. Well, after gaining his mind back as a human. Severus kissed the top of the foal’s head.

               “What will you name him?” Moony asked, wagging his tail. “My vote, Prongs Junior. No, wait, Prongslet. Or what about—”

               “No, no, and no,” Severus said. Moony huffed, his ears dropping. Severus looked back down at Harry, thinking. “I like Teucer.”

               “Teucer?”

               “Ajax’s half-brother,” Severus said. “An archer that stood by his brother’s side in war. Harry will appreciate it.”

               “I like it,” Dougal said. “Teucer the foal. It’s tough but cute.”

               Severus smiled and Moony sat at Severus’s side, prepared for apparition.

               “Fine, fine. Your foal,” Moony grumbled.

               “I will not forget my promise,” Dougal said. “Until we meet again, and I pray that that time be soon. So long, Wolfie. Big Pony. Tuecer.”

               Severus rolled his eyes but inclined his head at Dougal in farewell, Moony barking as Severus apparated everyone away.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3436