Learning Friendship by krosi
Summary: Severus Snape is cursed with an affliction that has him human by day and a centaur, named Ajax, by night. One night, Ajax rescues a lonely eleven-year-old Harry Potter and a bond forms between them. They meet each night from that point forward. As Ajax, Severus learns more about Harry than he would have ever wanted to learn. But without revealing himself to Harry, how can Severus help this orphaned boy?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Out of Character Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Creature!fic
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Potions, Snitches and Hooves
Challenges: Potions, Snitches and Hooves
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: No Word count: 103074 Read: 45393 Published: 11 Oct 2017 Updated: 13 Sep 2022
Halloween by krosi

“Where are you going, Harry?” Ron asked as they turned opposite ways leaving the Great Hall. “It’s getting dark out.”

               “Oh,” Harry stammered, pausing to look back at Ron. “I’m just going to go to the owlery and see Hedwig. She must be lonely. I haven’t really visited her much. I’ll be quick.”

               “Okay,” Ron frowned. “Just be careful. You wouldn’t want to get caught – especially by Filch.”

               “I’ll try to be quick. I’ll meet you in the common room.”

               Harry waved to Ron and then continued down the hall to the entrance. He hated to lie to his first friend, but he had to make sure Ajax was okay with meeting his friends. The centaur didn’t seem that interested in making too many friends. Maybe he could ask tonight if it would be alright if Ron could come along. He slipped out the door and trotted down to the greenhouses, remembering to hide in between three and four. The sun was still setting and he sat in the grass to wait patiently. Maybe Ajax would arrive early and they could watch the pretty sunset together.

               It was beautiful, the sun glistening against the lake, the orange sky slowly darkening to a night blue. Ajax was missing everything!

               Then, it was completely dark and owl and nighthawks sounded their hunting calls. It was rather spooky watching lights fade from the castle as classrooms were closed for the night.

               Harry waited. What was taking Ajax so long? Harry made sure he was between the correct greenhouses before sitting back down. He hoped Ajax came back. They had set a meeting time, didn’t they? It hadn’t been a dream. Sometimes it did feel like meeting the centaur had been a dream. It was all so surreal.

               “I see you can follow directions when willing,” came a familiar voice.

               “Ajax!” Harry smiled, standing up and moving toward the trees.

               “Do not come any closer to the forest.”

               Harry froze at the centaur’s voice and waited patiently.

               The centaur stepped out of the trees gracefully – he was such a stunning creature that Harry stared in awe at him once more. The black hair glistened and his muscular legs were so powerful looking. The face was really unique, too, like a cross between a horse’s and a man’s and the mane-like hair that travelled down to the centaur’s back looked so silky and soft, Harry wished he could stroke it. But that was a long reach up. His arms wouldn’t graze the ends of it.

               “What have I told you about staring?” Ajax frowned down at him.

               “Sorry,” Harry said, staring up at him. It was such a long way up. Harry felt so small next to Ajax – it made him feel safe in a way. Here was this massive creature that could protect him from all harm, like that werewolf. And Ajax would learn to like him as a friend. Harry would make sure of it. The centaur shifted on his hooves as if he was uncomfortable with something.

               “So,” Ajax started. “You wanted to see me to talk to. What is it exactly you want to talk about?”

               “I don’t know,” Harry shrugged his shoulders. “Anything. How about we get to know each other? Like maybe ask what our favorite things are?”

               Ajax didn’t seem too interested in talking about such things. Harry heard him sigh and the centaur’s long ears seemed to drop the slightest as he looked off into the trees. Harry wondered what Ajax might be thinking. Did he not want to talk about his favorite things? 

               “Fine,” Ajax dragged out the word. “Ask away.”

               “Okay! Umm, what is your favorite . . . err, color?”

               “Color, hmm?” Ajax raised an eyebrow at him. The action vaguely reminded Harry of someone, he just couldn’t put his finger on it. “I guess green.”

               “Like the grass?” Harry asked. “Do you eat the grass?”

               “No, I do not eat the grass like a . . .” Ajax sighed irritably. “Green more like your eyes.”

               “Oh yeah, my eyes. They’re my mom’s eyes as everyone is always telling me.”

               “Is that so?”

               “Mmm-hmm. Your turn!”

               “My turn for what?”

               “You ask me a question now.”

               Ajax sighed again. “What is your favorite color?”

               “Hmm, I never really thought about it. I like a lot of shades of blue, though.”

               “How surprising. Not red and gold like the Gryffindor colors?”

               “How do you know what the Gryffindor colors are?”

               “I’ve been around this school long enough.”

               “I like red and gold, but I’ve always liked blue, too. Like the sky, or the water –”

               “The water’s only blue because of the sky,” Ajax said.

               “I know. But blue is everywhere. And it’s such a calm color. My turn! What is your favorite food?”

               Ajax snorted, but Harry didn’t know what the centaur may have found amusing. “Hmm, tricky. There’s a lot to choose from – I couldn’t possible pick one thing. Why don’t you answer that question first and I’ll think on it.”

               “I really like treacle tarts!” Harry smiled.

               “You are quick to answer.”

               “I was never really allowed treats back at home. Actually, I was forbidden to eat anything good if my aunt and uncle ever fed me at all. But when I came here, I can eat whatever I want! Three times a day, too! And I just love the treacle tarts – I could eat them all day long!”

               Ajax tilted his head at Harry and frowned. Harry wondered if it was something he had said. Ajax opened his mouth to ask something, but another voice called out.

               “Harry? Is tha’ you back there?”

               It was Hagrid. Ajax snorted and began backing away.

               “No, it’s okay, Ajax! It’s just my friend Hagrid. He’s real nice and he would actually love to meet you.”

               Harry turned and peeked around the greenhouse.

               “Harry!” Hagrid frowned when he saw him. “What are yeh doing out here at this time? It isn’t safe. Are yeh talkin’ ter someone?”

               Hagrid joined Harry in between the two greenhouses and looked around. Harry looked back at where Ajax had been, but the centaur was gone. He frowned. Clearly, Ajax wanted no one else to see him. It made Harry feel special that Ajax trusted Harry enough to come out around him and no one else. Which might mean Ajax wanted to be kept a secret. So no Ron visiting either.

               “I thought I saw a . . . a unicorn,” Harry told Hagrid. “I heard they lived in the forest and I was hoping it would come out.”

               “A unicorn, eh? They are mysterious, aren’ they? Well, come away from the forest. Yeh should be in bed, Harry.”

               “Yes, Hagrid. I’ll head back inside.”

               As Harry walked back to the castle, he hoped Hagrid hadn’t scared off Ajax completely. He wanted to see the centaur again tomorrow night.  

 

 

               There was a troll in the school?

               What a perfect diversion for someone looking to steal the stone! Severus frowned at Quirrell as the man dramatically fainted in the middle of the Great Hall. Panic erupted from the students and while Albus regained control and sent them to their dorms, Severus slipped away and headed straight for the third-floor corridor. He wasn’t a fool. This was just too obvious.

               As he neared the forbidden room, he pulled out his wand and prepared himself, slowly opening the door.

               The overgrown mutt inside immediately turned his three heads on Severus, snarling as the man entered the room. Severus stared at the mutt – it didn’t seem like the dog had attacked anyone or had been disturbed. The three-headed creature was just standing up and stretching its back legs as it watched him. Severus looked at the trapdoor, seeing it was still secured down. He nearly fell backwards as the mutt lunged forward while his eyes were elsewhere.

               Severus backed away to the door, casting a stinging hex at one of the three heads. The head yelped and pulled back, the second head snarled angrily at Severus, while the third . . .

               “Ahh!” Severus yelled as the third head had somehow snuck by his field of vision and bit down on his leg. He hit it with a stinging hex, which made the dog whine and release him. Severus quickly slipped out of the room and slammed the door behind him, leaning against it as he hissed in pain. He looked down at his leg, noticing the red staining his black trousers. Good thing they were black; it would be less noticeable from a distance. And he could cover it up with his robes.

               The monster was a threat to this school. And Hagrid named it Fluffy. Severus growled under his breath. How the hell was someone supposed to watch all three heads at the same time?

               As long as no students ever crossed this area.

               Suddenly, Quirrell appeared in front of him, a look of surprise flashing across the man’s face.

               “Se-Severus!” Quirrell smiled. “What are y-you doing he-here?”

               Severus glared at the stuttering buffoon. 

               “Checking on the safety of you know what,” Severus snapped at him. “What are you doing here?”

               “Err, I was ch-checking on the s-safety as well.”

               “Right,” Severus narrowed his eyes at Quirrell. “Well, I can assure you Hagrid’s pet is doing its job.”

               Severus stepped away from the door, but as he set his weight down on his right leg, he hissed and stumbled a bit as pain shot up his spine. Damn mutt! Severus put his weight completely on his left leg. He limped forward a bit.

               “Oh, Severus,” Quirrell rushed towards the man. “L-let me help you.”

               “Do not,” Severus snarled, ripping himself away from the man, “touch me. I can handle myself.”

               “If you’re su-sure,” Quirrell said, looking back at the door where the beast was snarling loudly behind. “Is th-there no way past that m-mutt?”

               “How should I know?” Suspicious question, Severus thought.

               A scream reverberated through the hall. A student! The troll! Severus rushed forward, ignoring the pain in his leg, Quirrell following behind him. The ran down the stairs from the third-floor, though the stairs slowed him slightly as the pain increased. He still had another flight down to the first-floor where a lot of racket was being made. He finally arrived next to Minerva in the destroyed girl’s bathroom, Quirrell standing next to him. He looked at the unconscious troll and then at the victims of its . . .

               Severus bit back an annoyed groan.

               Of course, Harry Potter.

               And his redheaded friend and the insufferable know-it-all.

               What were they doing here with the troll when they were supposed to be in the safety of their common rooms?

               "What on earth are you doing out here?" Minerva said with fury in her voice. "Why aren't you in your dormitory? Do you have any idea how close you came to being killed!"

               Good, Severus thought, crossing his arms and glaring down at the children, Minerva’s taking care of the problem. That saved him some breath.

               "Please, Professor McGonagall – they were looking for me."

"Miss Granger!"

"I went looking for the troll because I – I thought I could deal with it on my own – you know, because I read all about them. If they hadn't found me, I'd be dead right now. They didn't have to come and fetch anyone. It was about to finish me off when they arrived."

Severus frowned at the girl. Interesting. He wasn’t sure if he believed her or not, but what could he do? He wasn’t her head.

"Well, in that case . . ." Minerva said as she stared at the three of them. "Miss Granger, you foolish girl, how could you think of tackling a mountain troll on your own? Five points will be taken from Gryffindor for this. I'm very disappointed in you. If you're not hurt at all, you'd better be off to your tower where you may finish the feast."

Minerva was actually taking points from her own house. Severus nearly smirked with glee. Now she just had two danger seeking boys to take points from. The two boys looked so abashed as Minerva scolded them. Then a look of surprise crossed their faces. Wait, what was Minerva doing?

“You each win Gryffindor five points. Professor Dumbledore will be informed of that. You may go now.”

You’ve got to be kidding me, Severus thought angrily as he watched the two boys head off to their dorm.

“What was that?” Severus snapped at Minerva.

“What was what, Severus?” Minerva asked dismissively.

“You know exactly what! You awarded them points for risking their skinny necks fighting a troll that could have crushed them!”

“But it didn’t,” Minerva smiled. “And they handled it quite well, I’ll say. Now to get rid of this smelly beast.”

“Don’t bother,” Severus snapped. “I’m sure our brilliant defense against the dark arts professor can handle it just fine on his own.”

“M-me?” Quirrell looked at the troll with wide eyes. “I-I guess I can t-take care of it.”

“Very well, Quirrell,” Minerva said.

Severus followed her as she walked back to the Great Hall, sending her cat patronus to inform the other professors that the troll had been taken care of.

“I can’t believe you,” Severus snapped at her. “You let the off the hook for their dangerous stunt. What are we teaching the students these days – how to end their lives before they reach sixteen?”

“Relax, Severus, they were unscathed. Are you limping? What happened?”

The two paused in the hall as Minerva turned to face Severus and stare down at his leg.

“Hagrid’s bloody contribution is what.”

“You better let Poppy have a look at that. There is a lot of bad bacteria inside a dog’s mouth. I’m sure that one is no different. And being a magical creature, that bite may not cure as nicely as other wounds usually do.”

“I’ll manage without Poppy’s overbearing medical care. And, honestly, would it have killed you to give those two a detention at the very least.”

“Quit flogging a dead horse, Severus,” Minerva rolled her eyes.

Speaking of horse, Severus glanced out the nearby window. The sun was setting behind the trees, little bits of sun rays flashing across the ground, growing dimmer and dimmer. He would have to get outside soon if he wanted his secret to remain a secret.

“They were fine,” Minerva continued, oblivious to Severus’s growing concerns. “And I assure you, they are not being taught to risk their necks. If Miss Granger hadn’t run off to face something she merely read about, then they would never have –”

“And you believe that girl without a second’s hesitation?” Severus asked.

“She’s never lied to me. She is a brilliant student and respects her professors – all of them. That’s something you could teach your Slytherins, you know.”

“And something you should teach your Gryffindors,” Severus snapped back, pushing past her as he saw more daylight disappear. “I’m done with this conversation. I have more important matters to attend to.”

“Severus Snape is giving up on his argument?” Minerva gasped dramatically. “I guess there’s a first time for everything. And what is more important than taking points from my house?”

Minerva followed Severus, walking at his side with an amused expression. Severus sighed. He really wanted to get to his quarters and grab a potion for his leg before he shifted. His leg was already killing him as he limped quickly down the hall. He couldn’t imagine how it would feel to go through the painful transformation with a bitten-up, bloody leg. And it would be too hard to squeeze though any doorways with a wide, muscular horse’s hind.

“I don’t believe that is any of your concern, Minerva. Now would you mind leaving me be?”

“Wait,” Minerva grabbed Severus’s wrist, effectively stopping his sprint paced walking. “You went to check on the . . . you know. Did Quirrell go with you?”

“No,” Severus said, glancing out a window. Light was slowly disappearing outside. He tried to wrench his wrist free of Minerva’s grip, but she had quite the death grip. “Would you release me, woman!?”

“One second, I have a question. Stop acting so foolishly. Do you think Quirrell may have been attempting to –”

“Yes!” Severus snapped, pulling away a bit harder. He didn’t want to knock Minerva down or hurt her by roughly pushing or yanking away, but he really needed her to let him go. He was bigger than her and stronger, but he didn’t want to be the cause of any pain. But what would Minerva think of him is he transformed in front of her? How embarrassing and she’d probably be frightened. “Whatever you’re thinking, yes! Now let go – I have somewhere I need to be.”

“What is wrong with you, Severus? This is important! Quirrell may have been the one to let that monster inside!”

“I’ll show you a monster if you don’t let me go!”

               Minerva yanked her hand away and stared at Severus with concern and – hurt was it? Severus sighed but glanced at the window. There was little sunlight now. He had to go somewhere secluded. So much for that potion.

               “What is wrong with you, Severus?” Minerva asked softly.

               “I just . . .” Severus backed up, watching the last bit of sunlight disappear. He shook his head at Minerva. “I just need to go.”

               Severus ran down the hall, leaving a confused Minerva behind. Severus was nearly to the entrance of the school when he felt the burning pain in his back, his spine elongating. He stopped in a secluded corner and roughly yanked his robe off, dropping it at his feet. He would need it for morning. He was already changing as he struggled to unbutton his shirt, his head burning and his eyes blurring from the pain. Why on earth did he decide on a button down that morning?

               Damn it, his clothes would just have to rip off. And they did start tearing and shredding as his body grew and changed. Severus grabbed at his head as it burned more, his face elongating and his ears growing longer, hair sprouting everywhere to create his black hair coat body. He groaned as bones grew in his body for his hind legs, feeling very similar to the Skele-gro potion he had once taken years ago. The wound on his leg stretched as his muscles stretched, causing more pain to erupt through his body.

               Then, finally it was over. He was a centaur once more. And very exposed in his location. Usually, if he thought he’d be in the castle for so long, he’d hide out in his quarters and remain there. But tonight, he wouldn’t be able to get inside his doorway now. At least the entrance was large. He’d have to get outside – unseen.

               “Severus!” Minerva’s voice called.

               Not her again, Severus thought, taking a few steps out of his corridor, limping on his front leg. This wasn’t good. He’d never make it out of the castle at such a pace. And his hooves clacked on the hard floor. He backed up into the corner once more, trying hard to blend into the shadows.

               His wand! He still had his wand!

               Severus snatched his robe and dug through the pockets until he found his wand. Minerva was getting closer and he could hear another pair of feet moving from the opposite direction. He quickly banished his shredded clothes and cast a disillusionment charm around him as Minerva and Filch stopped just in front of his corner, meeting head on. Filch held his cat in his arms.

               “Filch, have you seen Severus? Did he go down that way?” Minerva asked, pointing in the direction Filch had just come from.

               “No, he didn’t pass me. Why?”

               “Funny. That’s the quickest way to the dungeons. I wonder where he took off to. He started acting all odd – I fear he may be coming down with something. Probably from that rabid dog! Ugh, I told Albus having that canine in the school was a bad idea. What if a student comes across it?”

               “They were warned to stay well clear of the third-floor corridor,” Filch reminded. The cat in his arms began growling in Severus’s direction. Severus hoped no one payed any mind to her. While the charm made him seem invisible, if either one investigated the corner, they could still touch him. He just held his breath and waited it out. Filch glanced in his direction, then stroked the cat’s fur.

               “Like that’s supposed to keep them away? That corridor needs more than just a locked door.”

               “I can always patrol the area more if you’d like. Students know to stay clear of me.”

               “Hmm, if you insist. I guess I’ll just finish talking to Severus in the morning. Maybe I can convince him to see Poppy about that dog bite. It needs professional treatment!”

               Minerva and Filch parted ways and Severus waited until he could no longer hear their footsteps. Finally, he ended the charm and stepped out of the shadows, limping on his front leg. While the wound had affected his calf as a human, it know covered most of his leg as a horse. Damn horse anatomy! The wound would make walking difficult – forget trotting and anything faster.

               In the wild, a limping horse was a dead horse. Severus was sure that would be the case in the forest with a centaur. He hoped no predators were around that night. At least he still had his wand. He hated carrying it on him as he had a greater risk of losing it. He had nowhere to keep it on him. He placed the wand back in a pocket of the robe and draped it over his back.

               Could he remain hidden somewhere in the school? It might be safer than . . .

               Oh, no – Harry!

               The boy was probably waiting for him outside – he would have to go out and meet him or Harry might remain there half the night. Limping to the entrance, his hooves loud on the hard floor, he slipped out of the castle and towards the treehouses.

               Wait, he couldn’t just appear to Harry coming from the direction of the school. And he couldn’t have a robe with him – that would bring up too many questions! Severus limped toward the forest, pausing just before the tree line. He would have to brave it and hoped no predators would take advantage of his state. He really needed to get some kind of weapon on him.

               Severus hung his robe in a tree, making sure his wand wouldn’t fall out. He then made his way over to the greenhouses slowly, trying to ignore his aching leg. He thought up of some story as to why he was injured. Wild dog? That’ll have to do. He should probably avoid mentioning the whole troll incident. Technically, Ajax knew nothing of it.

               Severus finally made it to the greenhouses. He could see Harry sitting in the grass in between three and four. He pulled at some blades and looked around the trees. Severus was still hidden among them, but he sighed and made his way forward. Harry noticed him and stood with a smile.

               “Ajax!” Harry smiled warmly. “I was thinking maybe Hagrid scared . . . what happened?”

               Harry noticed the wound sooner than Severus thought he would. He wasn’t even completely out of the trees and Harry was running to him.

               “Stay back, foolish boy!” Severus snapped at him, stopping Harry just before the trees. “It’s bad enough I am injured and a perfect target for predators, there’s no need for a small defenseless child to add to the equation.”

               “I’m not defenseless!” Harry argued, waiting until Severus was completely out of the trees. “I have my wand. See?”

               Harry held up his wand for the centaur to see. Severus snorted and asked, “And what exactly can you do with it?”

               Harry lowered his wand and looked embarrassed, his cheeks turning red. “Err, lots of stuff. I mean I’m still learning, but . . .”

               “It is useless in defending yourself,” Severus snapped. “I’ve told you before, stay away from the trees at this time. If you cannot follow my warning, then these little sessions will end.”

               Severus stomped a hoof for emphasis, his good hoof – enduring the pain of his weight for a brief second to do so.

               “Yes, sir,” Harry said respectively. “What happened?”

               “It is just a wild dog bite. It will heal.”

               “It looks painful. Oh, in herbology, we learned about this plant with healing properties – it’s called, umm – one second, we are right by the greenhouses, it’s perfect! Stay here, Ajax.”

               Before Severus could stop the boy, Harry ran to the front of Greenhouse Four and ran inside. Shouldn’t that be locked? Severus thought, trying to peer through the glass to see what Harry was up to. He had a feeling he knew what plant Harry was referring to. It wouldn’t be a bad idea. The wounds would heal faster but with this type of wound, he would need a few days’ worth of treatment. Harry came running back with long stalks of the green plant. Resourceful kid.

               “See?” Harry held up the plant. “It’s this thing. Professor Sprout says it helps heal skin wounds. Maybe we can use this on you.”

               “It is called dittany,” Severus informed. “And I think it’s a brilliant idea.”

               Harry grinned madly up at Severus at that. Then he looked at Severus’s leg and winced.

               “Here, umm, I think you just touch the wound?” Harry stepped towards Severus’s leg.

               “Harry, wait,” Severus tried to take a step back, limping on that leg still. Dittany tended to hurt when the pain from the wound wasn’t overbearing one’s mind or when one wasn’t completely prepared for it. But Harry didn’t seem to hear him and reached toward the wound with the dittany.

               And the wound burned as greenish smoke billowed upward. In that same split second, Severus reared up and away from Harry, landing painfully on both front legs, the wound agitated by the sudden and interrupted healing. Harry had fallen backwards, narrowly avoiding the sharp hooves. Severus hadn’t meant to knock the boy down. It had been an instinctual reaction he couldn’t really control.

               “I’m sorry,” Harry quickly said, pushing himself up. “I didn’t think it would hurt so much. Are you okay?”

               “I should be asking you that,” Severus said. “Here, just let me do it.”

               Severus held out a hand for the dittany and Harry handed it over. Applying it himself, Severus could better control his reaction. He lifted his injured leg up more and quickly rubbed the plant on the dog bite. He hissed as it burned once more and green smoke flew at his face. Once it cleared, the wound on his leg looked days old as it should, a little red and irritated. A couple more sessions with this and the wound and scarring will be gone. Severus smiled.

               “Does it feel better, now?” Harry asked hopefully.

               “It does indeed,” Severus set his hoof back down. He would still have a slight limp but at least he would be able to better defend himself against potential predators. He figured he probably owed it to the kid. He cleared his throat awkwardly. “Err, thank you, child.”

               “Your welcome. I wish I had that handy in my cupboard,” Harry laughed good naturedly.

               “Your . . . cupboard?” Severus questioned. It reminded him of last night, when Harry had let slip something about the boy’s relatives feeding him poorly. He had wanted to ask about that when Hagrid appeared. While Harry seemed oblivious, Hagrid had known him for several years and would be able to identify traces of Severus Snape’s features in the centaur. He couldn’t risk that.

               “Yeah, it’s a long story,” Harry waved it dismissively. “But it would have been useful.”

               “For . . .” Severus hesitated, unsure if asking this would make the child shut down. “For what exactly?”

               “Oh, just skin wounds and all. But maybe I could get some seeds and grow some in my aunt’s garden. Then I’d have it handy!”

               “And how would you have acquired skin wounds?”

               Harry’s face suddenly went blank and Severus feared he had asked too many questions. What was he so concerned about anyway – the boy was standing right in front of him as lively as either – the perfect picture of health.

               “Everyone gets hurt sometimes,” Harry finally answered. “Anyway, I wanted to ask you yesterday if my friend Ron could come see you, but I guess since you ran away from Hagrid, you probably don’t want to meet many people.”

               Severus really wanted to push more on the relatives’ topic, but he decided it could wait. The boy definitely didn’t seem bored of Ajax yet. He would have quite a few more nights to investigate. For all he knew, the boy was exaggerating and his relatives refused to let him be too spoiled as Harry expected himself to be.

               “You are correct,” Severus said. “The less people who know me, the better. Our relationship was merely an accident.”

               Harry’s grinning face fell at that. Severus knew his words may have been a bit harsh sounding to the child’s ears, but it was the truth.

               “Right,” Harry studied his shuffling feet. “I made a new friend today. Her name’s Hermione. She’s really smart and Ron and I saved her from a troll. Ron had made her cry earlier so she didn’t know there was one and we just went to warn her – we didn’t know the troll was so close . . .”

               Aha! So the girl had lied earlier to keep the two boys out of trouble. Not that Severus could do anything now. He sighed in agitation. He had good evidence here but couldn’t do a damn thing!

               “Why are you telling me all of this?” he asked the boy.

               “I’m just sharing my day with you.”

               Severus sighed again. “I’m glad you’ve made a new friend, Harry. Though fighting a troll seems a bit . . . dangerous.”

               Harry smiled up at him at that. “We handled it well. It was a little scary, but we had to help each other.”

“Indeed, Severus stepped back a bit. “It is late, Harry. Why don’t you head inside and go to bed?”

               “I have to finish my homework first,” Harry said. “But okay. Goodnight, Ajax. See you tomorrow.”

               Harry looked as though he wanted a hug but he resisted and walked back to the castle. Severus watched him go, suppressing another sigh. He seemed to be doing that more lately. He really dug himself deep into this silly relationship with the boy. Hopefully Harry realized soon that it isn’t what he wants. Severus would never be warm or hugging or anything Harry was clearly looking for. The sooner the child saw that and left him be, the sooner Severus would spend his nights alone.

               Severus looked down at the dittany in his hands. Herbology and potions tended to correspond with one another, but being a Potions Master, Severus tended to forget the usefulness of just an ingredient instead of a whole potion. Harry really was a smart kid. Why didn’t he apply himself to his potions class?

               Severus gripped the dittany and closed his eyes, his ears dropping slightly.

               He knew exactly why.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3436