Learning Friendship by krosi
Summary: Severus Snape is cursed with an affliction that has him human by day and a centaur, named Ajax, by night. One night, Ajax rescues a lonely eleven-year-old Harry Potter and a bond forms between them. They meet each night from that point forward. As Ajax, Severus learns more about Harry than he would have ever wanted to learn. But without revealing himself to Harry, how can Severus help this orphaned boy?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Out of Character Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Creature!fic
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Potions, Snitches and Hooves
Challenges: Potions, Snitches and Hooves
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: No Word count: 103074 Read: 45140 Published: 11 Oct 2017 Updated: 13 Sep 2022
Not One of Us by krosi
Author's Notes:
This chapter is rated T for some coarse language and mild graphic scenes.

A week passed, school continued, and so did the nightly meetings, of which Harry would just chat away about his day to Severus, or Ajax in the boy’s eyes, and Severus patiently listened and commented when appropriate. As the days grew colder and the nights ridiculously longer (in Severus’s opinion), Severus found himself growing concerned with Harry being outside in such weather. He himself was covered by hair that kept him warm, but Harry didn’t have such benefits. He wondered if he should cancel these meetings if just to keep Harry from catching his death, even if the boy wore a warm coat. He needed more: gloves, hat, scarf. Well, he actually had a scarf, but the other attires were a necessity. He’d have to encourage the boy to think about buying some.

               Today was Friday, and tomorrow was Harry’s first game of the season. However, it wasn’t the game that concerned Severus – it was his actions from earlier that did. He knew his whole goal was for Harry to truly hate him (as Severus Snape) and he also had an image to uphold, but really, since when were library books not allowed to be taken outside of the school?

               Severus sighed as he exited the castle, the sun slowly setting behind the trees. He really was an arse, wasn’t he? And then he had practically exploded at Harry when the boy had entered his office without his permission. He had been applying scar repair solution to his leg to remove the last trace of the dog bite and Harry had just pranced on in demanding to have that book back. The boy would be lucky if he ever saw the book again.

               Severus sat down in the grass near the trees. It would be a while before Harry came to join him. The sun set before dinner even began. The boy would be eating for a bit. Severus watched the sun lower more and more, his heart racing in apprehension for the painful shift as it always did. One would think that after years of this transformation, he’d be used to it, but it seemed that each year, the pain grew – as did his fear of shifting. As time went on, it became increasingly harder to escape people when it was nearing sundown. He had a life to live – yet he also had a monster to turn into. And he didn’t want others to see what he was at night – who knew what they’d think. He couldn’t even chart it to being an Animagus: for one, the transformation was always painful and two, it happened every night. He couldn’t use that excuse. Besides, who’s Animagus was a centaur? Life truly wasn’t fair.

               Finally, the last of the sunlight vanished and, removing the robe and hanging it in a tree, Severus felt everything in him shift, grow, and reform.

               In less than a minute, he was a centaur once more. He decided it wouldn’t hurt to go for a walk in the forest. What harm would it do? It would at least give him something to do while he waited for Harry to come out. Then he’d have some company.

               As Severus walked deeper into the trees, he shook his head as he realized what he had just thought. Did he actually like meeting with Harry at night? Was he actually looking forward to seeing the boy?

               Of course not, he hardly cared for the boy. Right?

               Severus couldn’t deny that after years of spending his nights alone, it was nice to have a little company for fifteen minutes each night. Even if it was a chatty preteen. Or the son of his childhood tormentor. The thought made Severus frown as he remembered exactly who’s son Harry was.

               Lily’s.

               Severus sighed. Harry was so much more like Lily than James – personality at least. Yes, he had James’ looks, his recklessness, and knack for flying and adventure, but he had Lily’s sweet demeaner; he was compassionate, a bit hot-headed, and always thinking of others.

               Regardless, Harry was always so happy to see him – well, to see Ajax. And it did feel nice to have someone look at him as more than an untamed beast that could potentially harm. Severus didn’t mind Harry’s presence, and though he’d never admit it to a soul, he did like Harry’s personality. After his treatment of the boy earlier, he felt like a truly terrible person. He really was the definition of two-faced.

               A cracking stick caught Severus’s attention. He froze and used his eyes to scan the trees around him. He was deep in the Forbidden Forest now. Anything could be out here. Severus could defend himself well against most creatures. There was just one specific beast he’d rather have no confrontation with.

               A centaur slowly stepped out from behind some trees, just enough that Severus could see the front half. Severus inhaled sharply. Where there was one centaur, there was usually a herd . . .

               A couple more centaurs stepped out from behind trees, almost surrounding Severus. Luckily for him, there was only five. At least the entire herd wasn’t around – he might be able to escape these five. Severus had never really interacted with centaurs before – his grandfather had always told him to avoid them, saying that they were very dangerous. They were prideful of their species and were not very accepting of Severus’s situation.

               He’d have to act quickly. He didn’t want to interact in any way – whether through words or confrontation.

               Severus galloped at full speed through the trees, the centaurs quickly following behind him. Severus didn’t know what these five wanted from him, but he really didn’t want to find out. He made a turn back towards the castle. They wouldn’t leave the forest. All Severus had to do was make it out of the trees and the centaurs wouldn’t follow. He just had to go for a walk, didn’t he? Clearly, he went too deep.

               The centaurs were hot on his tail, but Severus had gotten a few seconds head start. He could see the tree line, the castle lit up in the distance. He pushed himself as fast as he could and darted out of the trees, drawing to a stop a good distance away.

               The other centaurs stopped within the trees, staring at him; a couple curious, a couple glaring. Severus stared back, his ears falling back the slightest to show some submission: that he meant them no harm and would stay out of their territory. The centaurs didn’t show much reaction, simply snorted and turned away, trotting back the way they had come.

               Severus sighed. He hated that forest.

               He had been walking for a while. He wished he could keep a watch on him, but what if he forgot to take it off while he was Severus? That wouldn’t be good. He figured dinner should be close to finished and slowly made his way to the greenhouses. Harry wasn’t between the two they met at, but that was fine. The boy would be arriving soon. Severus gathered his legs under him and leaned against the green house. The warmth of the greenhouse felt nice in the chilly air. Perhaps he could remain here for the night to sleep. But he wouldn’t want Pomona finding him there if she were to come early in the morning to attend the greenhouses. He wasn’t sure if she’d be able to tell who he was right away like Hagrid or Minerva might be able to, but he wouldn’t take any chances. The trees were safer. They’d hide him better.

               “Ajax!”

               Severus looked over at Harry as the boy appeared between the greenhouses. Severus remained lying down, he was rather comfortable, and nodded his head toward Harry. Harry smiled as he stopped in front of the centaur and dropped to the grass, crisscrossing his legs.

               “Tomorrow’s my first game,” Harry informed. “Quidditch, I mean. Do you know what that is? Well, there’s two teams and they each have a Captain, and . . .”

               “I am aware of what Quidditch is,” Severus informed, not really interested in getting into the finer details of the game.

               “Oh,” Harry said, “I wasn’t sure. You must have seen a lot of the games. I’m guessing you live pretty close to Hogwarts since you’re always around at night. Do you think you could come to my game? You could just watch from the trees. I could come look for you after it’s over.”

               “You’ll do no such thing,” Severus warned, frowning down at Harry. “You will do well to stay as far away from the forest during the day as well. There are some predators who hunt by night, but there are just as many that hunt by day and they would just love a tasty little boy.”

               “I’m not that little.”

               Severus glared down at Harry. Honestly, the boy was sitting next to a centaur who also happened to be lying down – still as small as ever – and he dared say that he wasn’t that small. At least centaurs wouldn’t harm young ones.

               “You are much smaller than me,” Severus informed, “and there are creatures in that forest twice my size, and even the smaller predators wouldn’t think twice about attacking you. And they might be just as successful in killing you as a larger one would be.”

               “I have my wand . . .”

               “And as we’ve discussed before, you are not an adept wizard with vast knowledge on defensive spells. And you won’t be until you graduate from this school. But until then, stay away from that forest.”

               “Yes, Ajax,” Harry finally said, though with a pout. “I just wish I could see you more. And for longer than we usually do.”

               “I can’t slow down time or make it longer. I am going out of my way just to make it here on time to see you, and trust me when I say I don’t have to keep doing this. I could end these any time.”

               “Please don’t. I like seeing you.”

               “Then you will do your best to obey me.”

               “Yes, sir.”

               Severus sighed, “How was your day?”

               “Okay,” Harry shrugged. “I had the usual classes and all. Hermione found this great book for me, Quidditch Through the Ages. It was a big help. I was really nervous about the match – I still am – and the book was helpful. Until Professor Snape took it from me.”

               Severus had to avoid rolling his eyes. If the boy started complaining about him to him – well, Severus wasn’t sure how he’s handle himself.

               “Professor Snape is my potions professor, by the way,” Harry explained.

               Severus gave a single nod.

               “He made up this stupid rule that library books were not allowed outside of the castle when a lot of other students had their library books outside. But, of course, he only took mine. And when I tried to go back later, he yelled at me to leave.”

               Severus had to bite his tongue. The boy was definitely ranting, but how on earth was he supposed to respond?

               “And why did he yell at you to leave?” Severus asked, trying to find a way to carry through the conversation.

               “I don’t know. I mean, I guess I did kind of barge in on him while he was treating his leg. I think he got bit by . . . umm, well, no one’s supposed to know about the third-floor corridor – but there’s a dog with three heads guarding something. But anyway, I did knock but he must not have heard me. I guess I shouldn’t have entered, but . . .”

               Severus barely registered anything else the boy was saying. How on earth did Harry know about the dog? Merlin, this child just had to break every rule in the book, didn’t he? When had this happened? Severus bit down harder on his tongue to keep from voicing his anger and lashing out at Harry. His tail flicked agitatedly, and he felt as though he might lose it. If Harry knew about the dog, he had to have seen it. Harry clearly had a death wish! If only he could deal with this as a human . . .

               “Are you okay, Ajax?” Harry looked at him with concerned eyes.

               Severus closed his eyes and breathed, willing himself to calm. “Ajax” had no idea about the forbidden third-floor corridor and what lay beyond it. He would have to act as if he didn’t know what Harry was talking about.

               “I am fine,” Severus said, though he still felt the exact opposite. “I am curious about this corridor, however. You said you believe your professor was bitten by a dog with three heads? Why on earth would such a dog be in the school.”

               “Hermione thinks it’s guarding something.”

               Great, Severus shook his head briefly, this must mean the entire trio knew about Fluffy.

               “And we think Snape is trying to steal whatever it is.”

               “I believe you should address your professors with the proper title,” Severus could only say through clenched. Inside, he was seething. With the little information the children had, he couldn’t blame them for drawing to such an absurd conclusion. Yet, they were still meddling in business that wasn’t theirs and somehow had discovered Fluffy. Severus didn’t want to think about how that encounter had happened. These three were out to kill themselves this year.

               Before he allowed his anger to control his actions and berated and beat some common sense into Harry about following the rules and leaving adult matters be, Severus stood to his feet abruptly, startling Harry.

               “I have to be on my way,” Severus said. “I . . . have something to attend to. You should be off to your dormitory now.”

               “Oh,” Harry looked disappointed but stood up. “Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow?”

               “Of course,” Severus nodded. “Go on, now.”

               “Bye, Ajax. Goodnight.”

               “Goodnight to you as well.”

               Harry headed back for the castle while Severus turned into the trees. Those children would be the death of him. How on earth was he supposed to keep Harry safe if all the boy ever did was hunt down trouble. That boy would end up in an early grave and there would be nothing Severus could do to prevent that.

               But he couldn’t let that happen. Severus shook his head as he thought this, his longer mane hitting against his back. He made a promise to Lily, whether she knew it or not. He would keep her son safe. If it was the last thing he did.

               Suddenly, a strong force slammed into his side and Severus grunted as he fell over, crashing harshly on the ground. He pushed up on his torso slightly, gathering his arms under his chest, as he watched a centaur run in circles around him triumphantly, four more joining him. The five from earlier had returned. He had to get back on his feet!

               Severus pushed up and gathered his legs under him to stand, but another centaur charged him and bashed into him, knocking him down once more. Severus breathed heavily on the ground. Centaurs were powerful animals, very well built. The amount of force that went into each blow to knock him down also knocked the breath out of him. Staying down for a moment, Severus rested his head on his arms and breathed, his entire body hurting from the attacks.

               One of the centaurs, a red roan, slowly walked up to Severus, sneering down at the man. Severus just breathed, not bothering to look up at the centaur.

               “You call yourself a centaur?” the roan asked.

               Severus didn’t answer.

               “What is your name?”

               Severus remained silent. He didn’t want to try anything that might instigate the centaurs. They were armed with bow and arrows along with body and hooves.

               Another centaur, one Severus could not see, stomped down harshly on his dark hide with two sharp hooves, causing his back legs to kick out in reflex and a harsh intake of air down his lungs. Pain exploded through his body and he could feel blood trickle down from his hide. He struggled to move, to stand, but the roan in front of him placed a hoof on his shoulder, instantly stilling him.

               “What is your name?”

               “Ajax,” Severus breathed out. “My name is Ajax.”

               “What are you? One of those animagi?”

               “No. Cursed.”

“Human by day,” another one, a sorrel, said, “and at night, you dare turn into one of us?”

               “What happens to me,” Severus ground out between teeth, “is not my fault.”

               “You’re a disgrace to all centaurs,” the sorrel snapped. “You disgrace our heritage – and you still associate yourself with humans even when you change. You mock us.”

               “I mean no harm,” Severus tried to explain. “I’ve left you alone for years.”

               “We’ve been watching you,” a gray centaur spoke, circling around the roan and Severus, “you usually avoid humans. But what you do now does not reflect kindly on us.”

               Severus knew they were referring to Harry. He was glad the boy was a child and that centaurs would not hurt children. But he still feared that one day they might. He couldn’t endanger Harry like that.

               “Leave the boy out of this.”

               “You like the human boy, don’t you?” the roan asked, putting more pressure on Severus’s shoulder. “Affectionate with him, are you?”

               Severus didn’t answer, just focused on the sharp hoof digging into his shoulder. If it didn’t break the skin, it would surely bruise.

               “You are not to associate yourself with those humans. No matter how young they are. If you do not wish to see harm to the child, you will end this little . . . friendship.”

               Severus just nodded – anything to end this hostile conversation.

               The roan sneered down at him, the other centaurs waiting for his lead.

               “You’ve no right to be proud of what you are.”

               “Trust me,” Severus hissed, “I’m not.”

               The roan seemed to give a satisfied glare before rearing up and bring his hooves down sharply on Severus’s back.

 

 

               “Are you ready for the game today, Harry?” Hermione asked as Harry and Ron joined her for breakfast.

               “No, not really,” Harry answered, feeling nauseous just at the smell of the food on the table. His nerves were through the roof and he wasn’t sure if he could fly without getting sick.

               “Don’t worry, you’ll be fine,” Hermione encouraged. “You’re going to be great. And remember, it doesn’t matter who wins or loses . . .”

               “As long as you win,” Ron finished for her, smiling at Harry. Hermione glared at Ron.

               “Thanks, guys.”

               “Did you ever get that book back?” Ron asked.

               “No,” Harry informed.

               “Maybe you can ask him this morning.”

               Ron looked at the professor’s table, frowning as he searched the seats.

               “Hmm, I don’t see Snape.”

               “It’s fine, Ron. It’s a little late for the book anyway. Maybe I’ll ask for it after the game.”

               Harry couldn’t eat breakfast that morning. He was too anxious. He really wanted to help his team and win for them, but could he? Everyone had so much hope for – so many expectations to live up to. He wasn’t his father though, but he hoped he could be at least half as good as he had been.

               He also wished that Ajax would watch him. He knew the centaur was probably deep in the forest somewhere, probably enjoying a better breakfast than he was. What did centaurs eat anyway? Did they like apples? That seemed a little stereotypical for horses. Maybe they liked carrots. Also stereotypical. He could always ask Ajax later that night. He would have so much to share with Ajax. He wondered what the centaur had to attend to that was so important. Did Ajax meet a new friend? Maybe another centaur? How nice that would be. But Ajax had said that centaurs didn’t really welcome him. He wondered why other centaurs would not like another centaur. It didn’t seem fair. Poor Ajax.

               Later on, after the game had begun, Harry searched hard for the snitch. He tried to stay out of the other players’ way and circled above the game like a hawk. He was really high up and could see everything for miles. He looked at the stands and spotted Ron and Hermione, the latter watching him through a pair of binoculars. Harry looked towards the trees near the greenhouses. Ajax wasn’t there. He looked around the tree line for the centaur.

               Ajax wasn’t watching his game.

               Harry felt a bit saddened, but he looked back down at the field. He could see all the professors in the teachers stand. Professor Dumbledore wasn’t in the stands – and nor was Professor Snape. That was just like the snarky professor to not attend a Gryffindor match. But, then again, they were playing against Slytherin. Wouldn’t the professor show support for his own house?

               Harry didn’t have a chance to think much on it.

               His broom suddenly started bucking under him. Harry gripped the broom tighter. What was happening?

               Meanwhile, in the stands, Hermione watched Harry through her binoculars.

               “Oh, no!” she cried. “Ron, look!”

               Ron looked through the binoculars up at Harry, who was struggling to stay on the bucking broom.

               “What’s he doing?” Ron asked, worried. Hermione snatched the binoculars back and began searching the crowd.

               “Someone is clearly hexing his broom,” she said. “We have to find out who it is and stop him.”

               Hermione scanned the teacher’s stand. All the professors were staring at different parts of the game and a couple were staring up at Harry and taking note of the situation, but no one seemed to be moving their mouths or doing anything foul. Why would a teacher attack a student anyway? Hermione scanned the rest of the crowd, trying to spot the caster of the jinx. She needed to hurry, Harry was clearly struggling on his broom. Who was this person? Why couldn’t she find him?

               Up in the air, Harry had been bucked off the broom and was holding on with both hands. He struggled to cling to the broom as it bucked and flew about hazardously. He looked down at the ground below him. It was a long way down. Maybe someone would catch him? He could only hope.

               What was happening to his broom anyway? Why was it acting like that?

               Harry felt his hands slip and he tightened his hold on them, praying he didn’t fall.

               The broom gave a sudden jerky movement and Harry felt his hands slip.

              

 

               Severus hissed as he inhaled and grinded his teeth as he exhaled. He deserved this. He had no right making a mockery of those creatures.

               But at the moment – fuck those centaurs.

He had been trampled by all the centaurs for several minutes before they decided to leave him in a crumpled mess. And there was nothing he could’ve done the entire night. It wasn’t like he could have limped back into the castle as a full centaur. He would have surely attracted attention. The cold night and frost seemed to have slowed his bleeding, which helped save him, no doubt. And by sunrise, after painfully (excruciating pain) shifting back, he managed to use what little energy he had to summon the robe from the tree, wrap himself up, and slowly make his way back to his quarters. He had collapsed twice on the way, and had to practically drag himself to his potions lab.

               At least no one saw him. They were probably all more concerned about the game that day.

               Once in his lab, he drank several potions – pain relievers, anti-inflammatories, wound healers – and he was still a mess. He still bled and bruised and just fucking hurt. He tried to apply salves that would promote healing and close the skin, but they had minimal effect, and those were just the ones he could reach. He was sure the majority of the open gashes and damage was on his back. He’d bleed out before he managed to heal himself. 

He needed to stitch the wounds he could reach – that would slow down the bleeding somewhat. But Severus couldn’t move. He couldn’t think anymore. He couldn’t remember where his stitching material was. Did he even have any? He needed water. He needed . . .

Severus stood from the chair he was in and collapsed to the ground just as quickly. He couldn’t move, breathing hurt, his head was pounding, and his back was a bloody, mangled mess. He would die here.

He needed help.

“Severus!” Minerva’s voice sounded through his quarters.

He had forgotten to lock his door when he came back. Though his mind had been clouded by pain.

“Where are you? We could have used your help on the field today. You won’t believe what happened . . . Severus!”

               Minerva gasped as she appeared in the doorway of the lab. She rushed over to Severus and hovered her hands over the man, afraid to touch him and cause any more pain. “Merlin, what happened to you? Hold on!”

               Minerva ran out of the lab and to Severus’s fireplace. She threw in floo powder and called, “Poppy! Poppy! Please, I need you help!”

               “Minerva, what is it?” Poppy’s head appeared. “I’m tending to –”

               “It’s Severus! He’s been . . . he’s . . . he’s dying! Come through!”

               Poppy was there in less than five seconds. The women rushed back to the lab, where Severus was groaning and pushing up on his hands.

               “My lord, Severus! No, stay down! Stay down! We need to get you to the infirmary stat!”

               Poppy summoned a stretcher and gently levitated Severus onto it, keeping him on his stomach as the most damage seemed to be on his back. It wasn’t ideal, since she wasn’t sure what the state of Severus’s lungs were, but she’d find out soon enough.

               She levitated the stretcher to the floo, then thought better of it, and ran out of the dungeons and up the stairs as fats as she could, Minerva following. Students and professors jumped out of the way, most shocked at the sight of the professor.

               Poppy arrived at the infirmary and levitated Severus to an empty bed. She quickly cast a diagnosis charm to see where the life-threatening damage was. He was bleeding out, but he also had a cracked rib that was jutting into his left lung. It would puncture through if it wasn’t taken care of. She knew what she had to do and felt tears in her eyes.

               “I’m so sorry, Severus,” she whispered to the half-conscious man.

               Then, she quickly flipped him over on the bed. Severus cried out in pain as his back pushed into the bed and he gasped for air, his eyes glazed with pain. Poppy summoned a potion for the bleeding and spelled it into Severus’s stomach. Then, feeling terrible once more, she cast a spell that put the broken rib back into place and spelled a bone repair potion into Severus’s stomach. She didn’t want Severus leaning on that rib, so she turned him on his side to tend to his back, using cleansing potions and wound repairs, before stitching up the awful sights. Severus’s breathing was still ragged, and she diagnosed for any pneumonia or infection. Finding some slight pneumonia, she administered an antibacterial. Once she was finished with Severus’s back, the bleeding stopped, and every wound stitched up, she lowered him back down gently onto his back.

               Severus hissed, and Poppy gave him one more pain reliever. He would be drugged on pain relievers for a while. Soon, Severus was breathing easier and he seemed slightly more conscious.

               The whole while, Minerva stood back and watched teary eyed. She had checked on Harry, the only other patient in the infirmary. Hermione and Ron had been present when she arrived with Poppy, but as Poppy got to work on Severus, she had sent the two kids away. The entire Gryffindor team had been in the infirmary early, but she put a notice on the door that said, “No Visitors to the Infirmary for the Day.”

               When Harry had fallen from his broom, she tried to slow the boy’s fall as best as she could. And then, a bludger hit the boy straight on and knocked him out of her spell’s reach. She was sure the bludger had been what knocked Harry out since one of the twins had managed to catch Harry and safely lower him to the ground.

               Harry was still unconscious, but he wasn’t in any immediate danger according to Poppy. The poor boy. When she found out who had jinxed that broom . . .!

               Severus would have been able to prevent all of this. He was so good with counter curses and knowing when one was occurring. Yet, he had been dying in his lab unbeknownst to everyone. What had happened to the man? He seemed pretty stable now thanks to Poppy’s quick work.

               “Severus?” she stepped closer to Severus as Poppy added another pillow behind Severus’s head.

               “Thank you,” Severus managed to say, though his eyes remained closed. “Both of you.”

               “What happened to you? How did you end up like . . . that?”

               “It’s a long story. And I’d rather not speak of it. Ever.”

               “But if something happened in the school and it puts the children –”

               “This was personal. No one’s in danger.”

               Minerva wanted to push for the details. She wanted to know what had landed Severus in such deep trouble and had him injured like that. But she had to respect her colleagues wishes and she nodded and wished Severus a “feel better soon” before leaving, her heart aching for the two boys in the infirmary.

               Severus glanced over to Harry’s bed, his eyes finally opening.

               “What happened to him?”

               “Fell from his broom,” Poppy informed. “A bludger hit him. But Mr. Fred Weasley managed to catch him before he could hit the ground. It was a pretty scary event. The game ended immediately. The professors believe it was an attack on Harry. There were traces of a jinx on Harry’s broom.”

               Severus closed his eyes and leaned back in the pillows. He should have been at the game. He could have prevented this. He could have stopped it.

               “Don’t be hard on yourself,” Poppy said, seeing the look on his face. “Rest. You need it. I’ll spell some food into your stomach later. I’m sure you’ll love liquid feed.”

               “Hmm, wonderful.”

               Severus closed his eyes to rest.

               Severus was in and out of sleep for most of the day. He heard Harry awake at one point and talking with friends. When he had opened his eyes, he realized his bed was closed off by a curtain. Thankful for Poppy’s consideration, he closed his eyes once more and was asleep. Sleep did wonders on the body, though he knew he’d be in pain for a long time – possibly a few weeks. He should cancel the meets with Harry in that time. But how would he do that? Severus fell back to sleep thinking on it.

               The next time he opened his eyes, however, he gasped in pain as the familiar ache of shifting descended upon him. He jumped out of bed, ignoring the pain that shocked him, and pushed the curtain back, looking out the window to see the last bit of light disappear.

               He was too late. He felt himself changing, and it irritated every wound his body had. Stitches ripped as his body started and he could feel the bleeding starting up. He let the curtain fall back and clutched at his burning head.

               “Severus?” Poppy’s voice was coming his way.

               Great, just bloody great. There was nothing he could do. Poppy was about to find out his secret. He groaned as his muscles and bones elongated and hair sprouted all over his body.

               “Severus, are you . . .” Poppy gasped loudly as she pulled the curtain back and watched as Severus completed his transformation.

               Weak, hurting, and bleeding once more, Severus collapsed on the hard floor of the infirmary, landing harshly on his side. He could remember how vulnerable he had felt in this position last night, but he couldn’t move. He couldn’t do a thing.

               Poppy slowly moved towards Severus, her gaping mouth closing at the same right. She stared down at Severus, who buried his head in his arms shamefully.

               “Severus, are you an . . . is this . . . how . . .?”

               “I’m cursed, Poppy. As were my grandfathers before me. Happens every night.”

               “That explains a lot.” Poppy muttered softly. She kneeled next to the collapsed centaur and summoned her potions and stitching material once more. She started to work again while Severus avoided looking at her. “It looked painful. A curse, huh?”

               While Poppy fixed Severus up once more, Severus explained what happened to his great ancestor who cursed them all by trying to kill a sphinx for trophy money but failed. When Poppy finished, she transfigured the section of floor beneath Severus into hay, apologizing for being stereotypical but it was the only thing she could think of that would allow Severus to still be able to move and be soft. Severus appreciated it, especially when she widened the curtain around him.

               “Where’s Potter?”

               “He asked if he could join his friends for dinner and I allowed him as long as he comes back. You never know what might happen while he sleeps during the night. It’s best if I monitored him until morning. Now, why don’t you rest some more. Those wounds certainly won’t heal themselves.”

               Severus sat up on his legs and did fall back to sleep, but he woke once more in the middle of the night. Standing and stretching, he pushed the curtain aside to stretch out his cramped muscles, his hooves clanking on the floor. He notices Harry in a bed once more, curled on his side away from Severus.

               Poppy wasn’t around, possibly asleep, and Severus tilted his head at Harry, an idea coming to him. He slowly walked over to Harry’s bed, making sure to move around the bed and appear as if he had come from the entrance of the hospital wing. He gently touched Harry’s shoulder and the boy startled awake.

               “Hey, easy,” Severus whispered softly. “It’s just me.”

               “Ajax!” Harry eyes widened.

               “Shh,” Severus shushed. It was dark enough that Harry wouldn’t notice the wounds he had on his back. Thankfully. 

               “How did you get in here?”

               “I have my ways. I needed to talk to you, but you didn’t show up tonight. So, here I am.”

               “What did you want to talk about?”

               “I’m . . . leaving the area for a while. I won’t be back for a couple weeks.”

               “What? Really? Why?”

               “That is none of your concern.”

               “Will I ever see you again?”

               “I . . . will let you know when I return.”

               “How?”

               “I’ll find a way. But do not come to our meeting spot. I will not be there and if anything happens, I will not be able to protect you. Do you understand?”

               “Yes, Ajax,” Harry looked sad. Unexpectedly, the boy wrapped his arms around Severus’s torso. “I’ll miss you.”

               Severus froze, trying not to wince in pain. Harry hadn’t attempted to hug him in a long while. Harry must have sensed Severus’s discomfort and let go.

               “Sorry.”

               “It’s . . . fine. Heed me, alright? Do not go out at night until I return.”

               “Yes, Ajax.”

               “Good. Now go back to sleep.”

               “Now.”

               “Yes. You are tired.”

               Harry curled up under his blanket once more and closed his eyes. Severus slowly backed away from the bed, trying to make it seem as if he was heading for the entry way once more. Harry peeked one eye open.

               “Sleep,” Severus commanded, frowning at Harry.

               Harry closed his eye and snuggled in the blankets. After a few minutes, Severus sighed, sure Harry was asleep. He walked back to his hay pile and dragged the curtain around him. At least that was taken care of. He hoped Harry did obey him. He feared for Harry. The centaurs knew him and of the relationship they had. And they did not approve. It wasn’t good. What was he going to do? He might just never return. There was an idea. Harry might be devastated, but at least he would be safe. And Severus didn’t think he could take another trampling from the centaurs.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3436