My Little Runaway by krosi
Summary: After little Harry Potter runs away from his relatives’ home for the sixth time, Albus decides something drastic must happen. Instead of sending a friendly witch from family services like he had done before, he sends Severus Snape in hopes of scaring the boy into staying put. But when a blizzard interferes with plans, Severus learns why Harry keeps running away and a change of plans ensues.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Runaway
Challenges: Runaway
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 163347 Read: 109520 Published: 23 Oct 2017 Updated: 31 Mar 2024
Goodbye by krosi

 

               “Knock, knock,” Severus said, knocking softly on his lab door.

               Eileen looked over her shoulder from where she was finishing erasing the board. She smiled and went back to cleaning up.

               “Well, come in, Mr. Snape,” she said. “I’ve been expecting you.”

               “Oh really?” Severus said, walking over to the chalk board and pulling out his wand.

               “You’re late for your detention.”

               “Whatever could I have done to deserve detention?” Severus gave his mother a raised brow before flicking his wand at the rest of the board, clearing it perfectly, even the smudge spots the eraser had left behind. Eileen sighed and set the eraser down.

               “Showing off in class,” she said, crossing her arms.

               Severus scoffed at that.

               “So, what brings you here?” Eileen asked as she returned to the desk and collected her bag and cloak. “I was about to head back home and get started on dinner.”

               “I didn’t know if you were finished or not,” Severus answered honestly, leaning against his desk as he waited for her to finish gathering her things. “I wanted to make sure my students weren’t keeping you here longer than necessary.”

               “Your students were incredibly happy to be dismissed early from class today.”

               “You let them go early? You should never let them out before the bell.”

               “It’s not like they were brewing today. In your schedule, it said to lecture them on the different uses of special cauldron types. How long can one person drone on about cauldrons?”

               “You clearly do not know enough about cauldrons.”

Eileen rolled her eyes and checked over the classroom one last time. Chairs were up, cauldrons shelved, and ingredients put away. She smiled softly.

               “I could get used to this,” she said.

               “Used to what?” Severus frowned at his dull classroom. “This gloomy place?”

               “You could brighten it up in here. Maybe some flowers or a sky-revealing ceiling spell. But no. I meant teaching.” Eileen ran her hand over a student’s desk. “Being here brought back so many good memories and the students have so much personality and it just felt so nice to teach kids and teens new things. I think . . . I think I’d like to be a teacher.”

               “Well, Albus would surely hire you. He likes to annoy me.”

               Eileen walked slowly through the classroom, looking back at the desk chairs, chalkboard and the teacher’s desk. Severus sighed and his face turned serious.

               “What would you teach?” he asked.

               “I don’t know—muggle studies, magical arts, muggle arts?” Eileen’s smile grew. I would definitely bring Gobstones Club back. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?” Eileen hesitated, as she turned slowly, taking in everything. “You know what—I need to think about. Discuss things with Peadar and really wrap my head on what it means to be a professor. Maybe I’m not cut out for this.”

               Severus shook his head and pushed away from his desk. He walked over to his mother.

               “Not that I would want you to teach here or anything,” he began, pausing at her side. “But I think you’d make a good professor.”

               “Aww, that’s sweet, Severus.”

               “Don’t make it weird.”

               Eileen smirked then frowned at the growing commotion outside.

               “Do you hear that?” she asked, walking toward the door.

               Severus tilted his head, frowning. A child’s scream bounced off the walls, and he recognized the tone and pitch. His eyes widened and he sprinted past his mother out into the hall where older students dumbfoundedly watched an orange faced child run down the hall screaming.

               Harry was teary eyed, and his tears streaked through the orange, smudged paint, and Severus outstretched his arm and caught the boy before he blindly ran past him.

               “No!” Harry screamed. “Let me go! They’re going to eat me.”

               “Harry, stop!” Severus said, his ears starting to ring from Harry’s loud voice. “Relax, it’s me.”

               Harry looked at him and reached up. Severus picked him up and patted his back while he clung to his neck, muttering about ghosts that were chasing him. Severus swayed slightly and Eileen joined them in the hall and rubbed Harry’s back as well.

               “What happened?” Eileen asked. “How did he even get here?”

               “I don’t know, he was at home napping—I didn’t think he’d wake up so soon.”

               “Honey, it’s okay, what’s the matter?” Eileen asked Harry.

               “Severus!” a new voice said in a stern scold.

               Severus’s eyes snapped over to Albus’s disapproving ones, and he knew he had been found out. He lowered his head against Harry’s and looked at Eileen, who gave him a sad look before patting Harry’s back some more.

               “My office,” Albus said, “now, Severus.”

               “Yes, sir.” Severus pushed Harry toward Eileen, but the boy was reluctant to let go of him. Severus whispered in the boy’s ear. “It’s okay, Harry. I’ll be right back. I won’t be gone long. Go with Nana.”

               Harry finally let go and allowed Eileen to take him, but he watched Severus with sad and guilty eyes.

               Severus patted the boy’s back one last time before Eileen took Harry into the potions’ classroom, asking him f he would like anything to drink or eat. With great effort, Severus walked after the headmaster to Albus’s office, finding himself in there sooner than he would have liked. Albus sat at his desk without so much as a glance to Severus, who slid into the chair in front of the desk. Albus didn’t seem to have any words at the moment, and Severus felt compelled to speak first.

               “Look, Albus, I apologize for not speaking up sooner, I just wanted what was best for Harry and . . .”

               “You don’t think that I also may have Harry’s best interest in mind?” Albus interrupted, though his voice was quiet. “I asked for your help, Severus, and you hid the child from me? For how long?”

               “Since the day you went to Trafalgar Square in search of him.” Albus’s eyes narrowed at that and the twinkle was nowhere to be seen now. Severus went on. “I couldn’t let him go back to those awful relatives of his. I made a promise to Lily to protect her child, and if Harry continued to run away from home, that should have raised several alarm bells!”

               “It did,” Albus tried to speak.

               “As if. You kept taking him back to that wretched home instead of considering what may potentially be happening behind closed doors. I heard you the day that that family services witch was here when Harry had run off again and couldn’t be found for days. You wanted to take him back once again without a second thought. So he could be hurt again and again. I’ve been there, Albus. I couldn’t let that happen on my watch.”

               “Severus, I—”

               “So, I took Harry. And I did not want to hide him from you, but I had to at least find the boy a good home and get him settled before I confessed what I did. Whether you fired me or not or had me thrown into Azkaban, I would have done it again if I had to. This is the best course of action—” 

               “I already found him a new home, Severus,” Albus said.

               Severus froze, falling back in his chair. He hadn’t even realized he had stood up in his tirade. A heavy breath escaped his lips as he mulled the words he just heard in his head. He wasn’t even sure he heard them correctly.

               “What?” Severus asked quietly.

               “I found the boy a new home,” Albus said. “A week or so after the child’s latest runaway, the blood wards dropped completely. I’m not sure why or what caused them to but living at his relatives would no longer protect him. So, I enlisted the help of Family Services to find me a secluded family with good wards around their home, and we would introduce them to Harry and give him a three-month trial run. If all worked out, he would be adopted by them and with help of ancient magic, new wards would be placed on the property for extra precautions. Family Services has found a family and they are willing to take Harry in. That was my plan for when I found Harry.”

               Severus felt a sudden wash of betrayal rush through his veins. It was cold, and he crossed his arms.

               “You didn’t inform me of any of this,” Severus said.

               “I could not.”

“You don’t trust me?”

“I would trust you with my life. You are still a spy, however, and I believe that there is some information best left unsaid between us—for your safety. For Harry’s safety.”

Severus looked off in the distance and shook his head. It made sense, but it still hurt. He had known that he was not privy to every plan the headmaster thought of, but to be denied this piece of information regarding his—no, not his, Lily’s son. Severus rubbed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose, the start of a headache throbbing in his head. He must have been pretty tired if his thoughts were starting to mix up facts. He took a deep breath, and it came out shakily.

“I apologize for not coming forward with this sooner,” Albus continued, interlocking his fingers. “But you should have come to me as soon as you found Harry. I believe we both have trust bridges to rebuild. And some old habits that need work.”

Eavesdropping, Severus thought. He met Albus’s eyes. He supposed the man was correct. But it wasn’t the matter of trust that was affecting Severus so. He couldn’t place his finger on it, but he pushed all the feelings away and straightened himself, his breathing evening out and his face neutral.

“You know I cannot let this go without some penalty. Kidnapping is a serious crime, but considering who it is, and the circumstances, I know you well enough to know you meant no ill intent toward Harry. Without getting the authorities involved, I suppose I could temporarily suspend you from teaching without pay for a few weeks. This will give you some thinking time, and I’m sure you have much to think about.”

“Right,” Severus said, looking down at the nails on his fingers.   

“However,” Albus said, “For now, I believe we must do what is right for the boy and if—"

“Of course, of course,” Severus cut the man off. “I can bring him to the family you found and get him settled. It’ll probably be easier on Harry that way. I’ll have him there tomorrow afternoon. That’ll give me time to back him up.”

Albus was silent for the moment, then said, “If you believe that that is what’s best.”

“He’s not going back to his relatives,” Severus said with a glare. “Ever.”

“Of course.”

“So,” Albus said with a smile, “will you introduce me to Harry?”  

 

After flooing back to MacAuley Estate, everyone discovered dinner ready on the table. When Eileen had not shown up to make dinner herself, the elves got right to work and delivered a delicious shepherd’s pie. Peadar noticed everyone’s gloomy looks, and Eileen pulled him into the kitchen to explain what had happened.

Harry showed no interest in his dinner that night, and he picked at the food slowly, nibbling here and there. Severus watched him, but as he himself had no appetite, he did not scold Harry for wasting food. Peadar and Eileen were also silent, unsure of how to break the silence. When it was sure Harry would not take another bite of his dinner, Eileen remembered something and walked into the kitchen.

“Look what I found,” she smiled, setting dessert on the table in front of Harry. “The last slice of chocolate trifle. I think someone needs to finish that off.”

Harry glanced up at Eileen, then returned to picking out the components of his shepherd’s pie.

“You don’t even want a small bite,” Eileen asked.

Harry shook his head.

“I’m tired,” he said, setting the fork down.          

“All right,” Severus said, putting his drink down and standing up, glad for an excuse to leave the table. “Let’s get you ready for bed.”

Eileen sighed and started cleaning up after dinner while Peadar went out to the barn to complete his evening chores. Severus led Harry up the bedroom and gave the child pajamas to change into. Harry slowly changed into them, his eyes watering as he did so.

“What’s the matter, Harry?”

               “I ruined everything, didn’t I?” Harry asked, sniffling.

               “Of course not,” Severus said, kneeling in front of the boy and helping him pull on his top. He dragged his thumbs across Harry’s cheeks, wiping away a few tears that escaped the child’s eyes. “We knew we would find you a forever family, didn’t we? That was the plan. And you know what? You are always welcome here.”

               Harry looked down at his bare feet, his lower lip puckered out, but he at least wasn’t crying now. Severus took that as a good sign and led the boy to the bathroom. He plucked the child up and set him on the counter, wetting a rag under the sink and carefully wiping away the dry, cracked paint. Harry remained quiet as Severus cleaned him up. Finally, Severus set the child down and let him perform his nightly routines. When Harry came out and crawled into bed, Severus tucked him in and sat on the edge, staring down at him.

               “Everything is going to be just fine,” Severus said. “I promise.”

               Harry rolled over and closed his eyes, hugging the stuffed dog to his chest. Severus sighed and left the room, giving Harry some space.

               “How is he?” Eileen asked when Severus came down the stairs.

               “He’s . . . quiet.”

               “Poor baby. You know, I’ve been thinking since our little talk with Dumbledore . . .”

               “You mean the talk where I did all the introducing, Harry wouldn’t say a word, and all you did was glare at my boss? What could you have possibly been thinking about?”

               “I did not glare at him the whole time. I do not agree with his methods and he’s the reason Harry was with those horrid people. And now, just because some blood wards fall, when his plans don’t go his way, he thinks about relocating Harry to a nicer home. Harry isn’t some pawn to be strategically placed across the board.”

               “I know that,” Severus said, entering the kitchen and pouring himself a glass of water. “Albus knows that.”

               “Does he? Harry doesn’t need another big change in his life, he’s happy here and with us. If he goes to this new home, he’s going to be confused and lonely, and he’s already bonded to you, magically and emotionally; it would be too much.”

               “What are you trying to say?”

               “We should keep Harry.”

               “We?” Severus drank down his water before saying, “There’s no “we” here. There is me making all the decisions regarding a little boy in my care and I need to do what’s best for him.”

               “Denying the bond is obviously not the best; you and I both read up on the negative impacts it would have, and I’m sure Albus would understand as well.”

               “I wouldn’t be denying it and Albus would never understand.”

               Eileen frowned at that, thinking over Severus’s words as she followed him out of the kitchen.

               “You didn’t tell him about the bond.” Eileen’s frown deepened. “Why didn’t you tell him about the bond?”

               “There are some things best left unsaid between us.”

               “What are you talking about? Secrets do not build trust—trust is a two-way street.”

               “Is that so?” Severus smirked, turning for the stairway. “Sure as hell don’t feel like it. Albus doesn’t need to know about the bond. It’s not nearly important enough to mention it to him.”

               “You could have used that to your advantage to keep Harry.”

               “I’ve said this a thousand times,” Severus paused partially up the stairway, his voice rising. “He is not staying. All of this was temporary; we all knew that. Why is this such a big deal to you?”

               “So just like that.” Eileen threw her hands up exasperatedly. “You’re going to give up on Harry. Walk out of his life forever.”

               “Well, it didn’t seem so hard for you,” Severus muttered, walking back up the stairs without another word.

               Eileen huffed and folded her arms, but her eyes glistened the slightest bit.

               Severus tiptoed over to Harry’s room, afraid that the child may have woken from the noise. He was glad to see him still fast asleep. Walking up to the bed, Severus ran his fingers through Harry’s locks, straightening them out, he told himself. He stared down at Harry for a second too long before he shook his head and forced himself to begin packing Harry’s things for him as quietly and stealthily as he could. He could do it magically, but manually moving around helped distract him from his inner thoughts. He was not walking out on Harry. They had talked about everything with Albus. He would visit. He had promised.

The next day, Severus and Harry explored the foster family house Albus had found. A witch from family services met them at an apparition meet point, and while she had glared profusely at Severus (saying how awful it was to think the boy had been taken or killed all these weeks), she coddled Harry and ushered him from room to room. Poor Harry simply allowed himself to be shown every room, holding Miss Trifle snuggly in his arms, but he kept his eyes on the top of his shoes.

               “Here is where your room will be—isn’t that nice? You get your own room.”

               When the witch didn’t get a reaction, she asked, “Would you like to look around? You’re not even looking at your new room. I’m sure Miss Trifle would like to see it.”

               Harry glanced up and scanned the room before shrugging and looking back down.

               The witch sighed, standing up straight, sparing a glare at Severus as she moved past him, and led the way to the back of the house that led to the backyard. She held the door open for Harry and Severus.

               “Isn’t this beautiful?” she smiled. “Plenty of room for growing boys to run and play. And little bunnies.”

               The backyard was large, but not like what a farm could offer. Still, there was a lot of grass, a mini quidditch pitch which was good for rural homes such as this, and even a pond not far away with a dock. Harry glanced, but said nothing. The witch sighed but brought Harry back inside to the living room where the new foster parents were waiting. They stood up when they saw Harry enter.

               “What do you think?” the foster mom asked, smiling.

               Harry shrugged.

               “Well,” the witch said, shaking hands with the foster parents. “I think he’ll do just fine once he settles in and gets to know you and your other two boys. But if there are any problems, don’t be afraid to contact me.” She turned her attention to Harry, leaning down. “They are very nice people; you have nothing to worry about. You’re in good hands now. Everything will be okay.”  

               Harry peered through his bangs up at the foster parents, then he adjusted Miss Trifle in his arms and stared back at his shoes.

               “He’ll come around,” Severus spoke.

               “If you’d like to get him settled and say your goodbyes,” the foster dad said, “that would be agreeable.”

               The foster mom nodded while the family services witch forced a smile. Severus offered his hand to Harry and brought him to his designated room. Slipping the bag off his shoulder and setting it on Harry’s bed, Severus kneeled in front of Harry, who’s eyes watered and his lower lip puckered out.

“Please don’t leave me here,” Harry whispered.

“Harry,” Severus began.

“Please.”

“We’ve talked about this.” Severus used his thumbs to wipe away the tears as he had done the previous night. “You have to live somewhere safe where no one can hurt you. You’re a very special boy and I’ve told you what the plan was the whole time you’ve been with me. It was never meant to be permanent. But, hey, you can visit me anytime you want. And Nana and Papa would love to have you visit.”

“I want you and Nana and Papa now!” Harry stomped his foot. “Please.”

“Don’t,” Severus shook his head softly, “stomp your foot at me. Listen to what I am saying.”

“I want to stay with you. Don’t send me away.”

“I’m not sending you away. We discussed this several times before, Harry. There are reasons you can’t stay with me. This is for the best, and I can still see you now and then, everyone benefits.”

“I don’t care. Take me back with you.”

Severus sighed and held his arms out to the boy.

“How about a hug before I go? Hmm?”

Harry backed away, as if accepting the hug might seal their forever goodbye. He shook his head more tears escaping his eyes.

“No. Take me with you. Please. I don’t want to stay.”

“Perhaps,” the family service witch said from the doorway, “it might be best not to force anything. I think its time we head out and let Harry settle in.”

Severus looked back at the doorway to see the witch shaking hands with the foster parents and, with one last subtle jerk of the head at Severus to wrap it up, she walked out of the house. Severus pinched the bridge of his nose, his chest tightening painfully and his head starting to develop a slight headache. He looked at Harry.

“I’m sorry,” Severus said softly. He stood up slowly and adjusted his coat. He walked out of the room, the parents parting for him at the doorway.

“No,” Harry cried, putting Miss Trifle down and running after Severus. The foster parents managed to catch Harry gently and tried soothing him with reassurances. “No, no, no.”

Severus kept moving, closing his eyes briefly at Harry’s cries.

“No, don’t leave me, Mr. Snape!” Harry pushed against the parents’ restraints, his cries growing louder, his face red. “Don’t leave me! Please! Come back!”

               Severus forced himself not to look back. If he did, he might just kidnap Harry once more. He opened the front door of the lovely house that would be Harry’s home now, and he stepped out.

“Mr. Snape! Please!” Harry broke free from the parents and ran for the door.

Shutting the door behind him, he leaned back on the door, hearing Harry’s small fist pound on the wood repeatedly from inside. Severus covered his face in his hand. His throat had suddenly gone dry and he could not swallow.

“Mr. Snape! Come back. Don’t leave me.”

Don’t look back, Severus told himself. He’ll understand. Someday.

With those last words running through his head and Harry’s screams still ringing in his ears, Severus disapparated from the door step, and the apparition wards were lifted around the house, along with the protection wards, sealing Harry in a protective bubble.

 

Eileen waited anxiously at the dining table with Peadar, her elbows on the table and her fingers interlocked. Peadar sat at the head, drumming his fingers against the wood while he waited, his eyes meeting his wife’s every few minutes. Severus had taken Harry to the foster home after lunch, and they had yet to hear any news from him as it neared eight o’clock at night. She wondered where Severus may have gone after dropping Harry off, and she hoped he was all right.

               Her son’s words from last night still left a sharp pang in her chest. She had not informed Peadar of what had transpired between them, and she had no plans to. Peadar did not appreciate anyone talking to Eileen in such a manner, and that included Severus. She wished Peadar would be easier on Severus, but Peadar understood the situation between herself and Severus too well, and he didn’t want Severus to make the same mistake he had. So, all she could do was remind Peadar that Severus was still hurting from her actions.

               As far as repairing her relationship with her son, she wondered if this whole situation may have just ruined any chance of that, or, if somehow it would bring them closer together. Honestly, it could go either way so quickly. Would Severus even come back to MacAuley estate now that Harry was gone?

               Suddenly, the floo flared to life and Eileen and Peadar both stood when Severus walked through the dining room and right to the kitchen.

               “Well?” Peadar asked. “How’d it go?”

               “How’d it go?” Severus shot back. He opened the fridge and dug through it, finding a new bottle of firewhiskey hiding in the back. “Oh, it went wonderful. He loved it. Bloody loved it.”

               Severus opened the firewhiskey and took a large swig of the drink.

               “If it went so well,” Eileen asked, walking into the kitchen, and standing on the other side of the island where Severus was leaning against and drinking ore of the firewhiskey. “Where did you go afterwards.”

               “Back to work. I’m suspended, you know. Might as well as gather my books and teaching material to review since I’ll have absolutely nothing else to do for three weeks.”  

               “Severus,” Peadar began, stepping into the kitchen.

               Eileen held up her hand to stop him, sharing a look with him before she turned back to Severus.

               “Why are you acting like this?” she asked. “What happened?”

“Acting like what?” Severus snapped. He paused and looked at Eileen. “He’s in a good place now. He’s got a big room, big yard, brothers, more than I could ever offer him. You know, I thought it would be a huge nightmare of abandonment and betrayal when I took him, but he loves the place.”

Severus took another gulp, pacing the length of the kitchen. Eileen stayed silent, just listening to him. Peadar crossed his arms and leaned against the doorway, watching with cautious eyes.

“I said I’d get him a new home,” Severus continued, raising his bottle as if toasting to the statement. “A better family, a brighter future. And I did and he didn’t bat an eyelash. I call that success. I’m a fucking hero!”

Severus threw the beer bottle and it shattered on the opposite wall, alcohol splashing everywhere and glass sharded flying and hitting against the shield charm Peadar had casted just in time to cover Severus and Eileen. Eileen had jumped at the shattered glass, but relaxed when it fell harmlessly to the floor.

Severus did not notice, however. He had leaned over the island counter, his head buried in his arms. He made no noise, but his shoulders shook the slightest bit.

Eileen’s eyes watered as she stepped around the counter and rested a hand on Severus’s shoulder, comforted when he did not shrug her away. Slowly, she rested her head against his shoulder while her hand slid to his ack to rub soothing circles. Peadar also entered the kitchen and leaned against the counter across from Severus.

No one said a word. No one moved. They stayed there in that position in silent loss.  

              

 

                

              

                        

              

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3443