My Little Runaway by krosi
Summary: After little Harry Potter runs away from his relatives’ home for the sixth time, Albus decides something drastic must happen. Instead of sending a friendly witch from family services like he had done before, he sends Severus Snape in hopes of scaring the boy into staying put. But when a blizzard interferes with plans, Severus learns why Harry keeps running away and a change of plans ensues.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Runaway
Challenges: Runaway
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 163347 Read: 109510 Published: 23 Oct 2017 Updated: 31 Mar 2024
Harry Snape and the Substitute Part 2 by krosi

               After arriving back at MacAuley Estate, Severus stopped Harry with a hand on the boy’s shoulder before he could go run off to his room and free Miss Trifle. Harry paused to look up at him.

               “Tomorrow, Draco is coming over to stay for the weekend,” Severus said. “You remember Draco, yes?”

               “Yeah, I remember him,” Harry smiled for the first time since he had picked his son up.

               “He is here for potion lessons, but he will have plenty of free time to play with you as well. I expect you two to be on your best behavior. And if there’s another incident at school, there will be no free time for you.”

               “Yes, Dad,” Harry’s smile fell. “Can Ollie spend the night, too?”

               “As long as you two are good in school tomorrow, I don’t see why not.”

               “Thanks.” Harry turned and ran up the stairs.

               Severus found Eileen working on dinner in the kitchen. She was hovering over the stove touching up the layers of her coddle when she noticed Severus out of the corner of her eye. She paused what she was doing so she could face Severus.

               “So, what happened at school?” she asked.

               “Harry and his friend were causing trouble for the new substitute,” Severus explained as he grabbed leftover salad from the fridge. “Ciara and I spoke to both of them and surely there won’t be any more trouble.”

               “That seems rather unlike Harry, don’t you think?” Eileen frowned as she turned her attention back to the food.

               “I would have agreed if he hadn’t been rude to the teacher right in front of me,” Severus said. He glanced at his watch, then sighed. “I have a young student coming over tomorrow. I may stay at the estate this weekend to use the bigger lab so I can continue tutoring him in his studies. You remember the Malfoys? They have a son now, Draco.”

               “Aww, well, you’re always welcome to stay over. And I’m sure Harry would love another friend to play with.”

               “Ollie may also end up over here this weekend. Just what I need, three mischievous boys under one roof.” Severus shook his head, then pushed off the counter he was leaning against and headed for the fireplace. “I have to head back to work. Can you check on Harry’s work for me?”

               “Of course. Try not to become such a workaholic. Harry has to come first.”

               “He does and he always will,” Severus said. “I just need to get things under control and in order at the hospital. It’s been hectic with just Collins and me. I’m looking for one more brewer, an experienced one preferably, to join the team and then I’ll think we might be able to spread out the tasks among us three a lot easier and our schedules will be lighter. Till then, I’m really all the hospital’s got.”

               Severus grabbed a handful of floo powder and disappeared in the fireplace.

               Eileen returned to cooking dinner with a shake of her head. She heard Harry hop down the stairs and he came running into the kitchen with his rabbit hopping at his feet.

The rabbit had grown another few pounds in the month, weighing in at ten pounds now. Miss Trifle had gone in for a check up at the vet, who believed Miss Trifle would put on another couple pounds in the next month or so and then be done growing. The black stripe down her back was more pronounced now, as was her attachment to Harry. When he was home, she was freed from his bedroom, and she would follow Harry everywhere. She had become quite the good little familiar.

“Hi Nana,” Harry greeted with a smile, holding up his assignment book. “All my homework is done. Where’s Dad? I want to show him.”

“Oh,” Eileen winced at that. She could tell Harry was in “trying to make up for naughty behavior” mode. “He just left. I’m sorry. I can show him later for you.”

               “No, it’s okay,” Harry said, lowering his assignment book.

               “Let me at least check it over for you,” Eileen said, taking the book from Harry. “Go set the table for dinner please. Papa should be home soon.”

               Harry grabbed dishes out from the cabinet then ran over to the table to set three places. Miss Trifle moved to follow but paused when one of the dogs entered the kitchen. Shandy, healed and coneless now, tilted his head at the rabbit. They stared for a few seconds before Miss Trifle sat up and thumped her foot irritably, glaring at the dog.

               Shandy barked and jumped aside, lying down, and waiting as Miss Trifle lifted her head up proudly and shuffled past the dog after her owner. Eileen snorted at the interaction. After a few kicks in the face, the dogs had learned to respect Miss Trifle’s space and presence in the house, and Peadar’s protection spell ensured they could not retaliate by biting or stomping on the rabbit.

               Dinner was a silent event, Harry picking at his food for the most part before finally being allowed to excuse himself and race up the stairs to his bedroom, Miss Trifle right behind him. Peadar and Eileen shared a curious look.

              

               Draco waited patiently at his father’s side in his best silky robes, his hands clasped behind his back. He glanced around the Leaky Cauldron, watching shoppers bustle around outside the store and a few customers seated randomly in the store had a few bags resting at their feet while they browsed the menu. Draco glanced up at his father, who was busy talking with the pub owner enthusiastically. Draco sighed and shifted slightly, looking over at the floo expectantly.

               The floo flared and Severus stepped through the flames.

               Draco grinned before wiping the smile off his face quickly when Lucius straightened and glanced down at him. Draco met his eyes before looking back at Severus, waiting patiently as the men shook hands and exchanged brief words about his tutoring. Draco rolled his eyes as his father went on about studying long hours and extra assignments to reinforce the learning. With all the man’s opinions on teaching, one would think he’d just teach his own son himself. But no, Lucius had to pay for the best tutors in Europe. The pureblood way.

               Finally, Severus was talking to him.

               “Are you ready, Draco?” Severus asked.

               “Yes, sir,” Draco said, reaching down to pick up his bags.

               “Really, Severus,” Lucius sneered. “You couldn’t bring just one of your house elves to collect Draco’s things? You’ll force the poor boy to carry his own bags?”

               “He’ll be carrying his own cauldron soon enough as it is,” Severus said. “Unless you wish to tutor him in potions?”

               Lucius narrowed his eyes at Severus.

               “I’ll trust you know what you’re doing.” Lucius said. He looked at his son. “Goodbye, Draco. Behave.”

               “Bye, Father,” Draco said, bowing slightly.

               Lucius gave a nod then headed for the fireplace, disappearing in a whoosh of green flames.

               When Lucius was out of sight, Severus pulled out his wand and gave Draco and apologetic look.

               “Sorry, Draco, but just to be safe, I need to—”

               “I understand,” Draco said, holding his arms out helpfully.

               Severus cast a search charm to check for any spells, potions, or magical devices that Lucius may have planted on Draco. Lucius was true to his words in most agreements and truces, usually. But given the circumstances, Severus felt better being overly cautious than risking exposing MacAuley Estate or his son’s safety. His charm checked out and he kneeled in front of Draco with open arms, and Draco ran into them eagerly and hugged his arms tightly around Severus’s neck.

               “I missed you,” Draco whispered.

               “I missed you, too.” Severus ran his hand over Draco’s smoothed back hair before standing up. He took Draco’s hand and led him to the fireplace. “How have you been? Minding your father, surely?”

               “I always mind Father,” Draco said. “But I have a say in who tutors me, too, you know.”

               Severus chuckled.

               “I know,” he agreed. “And now, you get to sit in the lab with my apprentice and watch us labor over potions for several hours until dinner.”

               Draco groaned at that.

               “Can’t you drop me off at your place and pretend I watched you do boring stuff for hours?”

               “Absolutely not. We need something for you to complain to your father about at the end of this weekend. Besides, Harry is at school right now. You’d be bored at the estate, too.”

               “I doubt it,” Draco said.

               Severus smirked as he dropped a handful of floo powder and the two vanished.

 

               Harry and Ollie sat quietly and rigidly in their seats while keeping an eye on Mr. Alarie. He was busy explaining the finer details of addition, drawing on the chalkboard and demonstrating how numbers carry. Harry and Ollie shared a brief look, both silently encouraging the other to remain on the teacher’s good side for today in hopes of earning a sleepover. Eileen had already spoken to Ciara about potentially having a sleepover and she had been so excited at the idea. And Harry was excited for Ollie to meet his other friend, Draco. Ollie was excited to meet another wizard who lived in the magical world and not the muggle world.

               “Mr. Snape,” Mr. Alarie said suddenly, “why don’t you come up here and demonstrate to the class how to add twenty-eight plus forty-two.”

               Harry blinked, surprised the teacher had even called on him. They had been getting the silent treatment from the teacher all day.

               “Err, okay.” Harry dropped down from his seat and walked up to the board. He stared at the numbers for a moment, reminding himself he had to start from one end and work his way up.

               “Today, Mr. Snape,” Mr. Alarie said.

               Harry blushed and hunched his shoulders slightly. He began with adding the eight and the two, which gave him ten. Drawing a zero under the line, he reminded himself mentally to draw a one above the two, then he added all three numbers, the one, two, and the four, which gave him seven. He smiled proudly at being able to mentally add all the numbers in his head without looking at his fingers. Writing the seven next to his zero, Harry put his chalk down and looked at Mr. Alarie expectantly.

               “The answer is seventy,” Harry said.

               “As we can obviously see from your work,” Mr. Alarie said with a frown. “Please take your seat.”

               Harry’s face fell at the lack of any praise, but he quickly retreated to his seat, biting back any remarks he would have liked to say to the substitute. Ollie gave him a thumbs up and a small smile.

               Harry looked up at the clock. If he was reading it right, it was almost time for the bell to ring, then he and Ollie will have survived the day. Harry chewed his fingernails in the anticipation.

               “Everyone will practice their addition and subtraction over the weekend,” Mr. Alarie stated as he handed each kid in the first row of seats a stack of paper. Everyone passed the papers back while the teacher spoke. “This is your homework. There is a front and back, please solve all the problems on both sides and remember to show your work. It is very important that I see how you got your answers, so I know you understand what you are doing. And also, that you have not cheated.”

               Mr. Alarie eyed Harry and Ollie as he said those last words.

               Harry and Ollie couldn’t help the angry look they shared.

               “Any questions?” Mr. Alarie asked.

               All the students were quiet and then the bell rang.

               “You are all dismissed. Except Mr. Snape and Mr. Fowey. You two will stay for fifteen minutes after the bell . . . for lack of participation today.”

               Harry’s mouth dropped and his eyebrows furrowed. They had been perfectly behaved and did everything the teacher had asked. What on earth did they not participate in? Harry looked at Ollie to see the same look of disbelief on his face. Ollie shrugged and sat back in his seat with a groan. One of the other students, Moloney, stuck his tongue out at Harry and Ollie as he ran past their seat to the door. Ollie made a face at his back while Harry shoved his homework into his bag.

               “This is ridiculous,” he muttered. “What do we tell Dad and your parents now?”

               “That we didn’t do anything,” Ollie said, resting his head on his desk. “We didn’t.”

               “And that’s a problem now, apparently.”

               “I mean, I feel like he’s been trying to get a rise out of us all day, if you think about it.”

               Harry did think about it, and it seemed accurate. Mr. Alarie had started the day scoffing at Harry’s homework, then he had badgered Ollie with questions about the day’s learning topic before they had even discussed anything. Ollie, of course, didn’t know any of the answers. After lunch and recess, Mr. Alarie decided that they weren’t sitting still enough in class and had them do ten pushups each so they would focus better. Then Harry had to solve the math problem, and he didn’t even get a “good job.” It made sense that maybe the teacher wanted more reaction out of them, and he was punishing them for not playing into his game.

               “I want him fired,” Ollie said. “He’s the worst ever.”

               “He’s nice to everyone else though.” Harry glanced at the teacher who was cleaning the chalkboard. “Everyone else likes him so no one will fire him.”

               “He’s nice to anyone without magic. It’s like he hates us for having magic and he doesn’t. That’s not our faults.”

               “Yeah. You’re right. He has to go. And we have all weekend to plan how we’ll get rid of him.”

               “No muttering back there,” Mr. Alarie snapped. “You’re being punished. Sit there quietly for ten more minutes then you may leave.”

               Time was ticking by so slowly. It was as if the world was against them right now.

               “There you two are,” Eileen’s voice entered the room as she stepped inside. She frowned when Harry and Ollie didn’t move from their seats, and she threw a look at the teacher. “What’s going on?”

               “I’m sorry,” Mr. Alarie said, walking over to Eileen. “Are you a relation to one of these boys?”

               “I’m Harry’s grandmother,” Eileen said.

               “I see. Well, these two decided not to participate in class so they are staying after the bell for a few minutes to remind them that participation is just as important as attendance.”

               “We did everything he asked us to do,” Ollie said. “Even the pushups.”

               “Pushups?” Eileen quirked a brow at that, looking at Mr. Alarie.

               “They still had some pent-up energy coming back from lunch. Physical activity is a good way to release that, you know.”

               “Hmm. Well, I’m afraid I have somewhere to be, so I’m sure they’ve been punished enough. Come on, boys.”

               Harry and Ollie smiled as they threw their bags over their shoulders and ran for the door. Mr. Alarie opened his mouth then decided against whatever he was going to say and smiled.

               “Of course. I’ll see you Monday, boys.”

               Harry and Ollie shared an annoyed look as they followed Eileen out of the school. Ciara and Cian were waiting outside. Cian was proudly showing off his drawing he had made in his afternoon preschool.

               “Ollie,” Cian greeted. He held up his drawing. “Look at my family tree. I made it all by myself.”

               “That’s so cool, Cian,” Ollie smiled. “Is that me?”

               “Yeah.”

               “And you even have Maimeó and Granda, and Aintín Roisin and our cousins. Good job, little brother.”

               Cian smiled proudly at Ollie. Ciara ran a hand through her youngest son’s locks as she spoke to Ollie.

               “What held you two up?”

               “The teacher.”

               “Again? What for this time?”

               “We did everything he asked without any complaints, and he said we didn’t participate.”

               Ciara gave Eileen a concerned look as she said, “Maybe he wanted you guys engaged emotionally a little more. I don’t know, even you’ve never been so much trouble for a teacher before, Ollie.”

               “There’s something odd about him,” Eileen said. “I’ll ask Severus about last evening when he gets back from work. Is Ollie still okay to spend the weekend at my place?”

               “Of course. I packed you everything you’ll need,” Ciara swung the backpack off her shoulder and held it out to Ollie. “Change of clothes, toothbrush, a couple of your favorite snacks, and your lovey, Bao.”

               “Mam!” Ollie whined, his face reddening as he snatched the bag away from his mother.

               “I’ll miss you, Ollie,” Ciara said, kissing her son’s forehead, before taking her younger son’s hand and leading him to the car. “Come on, Cian.”

               “A lovey, huh?” Harry smirked.

               “Shut up,” Ollie glared at him. He unzipped his bag, revealing a stuffed red panda peeking out at Harry. “That’s Bao. He’s a collectible.”

               “Sure,” Harry said in the most believing tone he could muster, a smile still on his face. Ollie stuck his tongue out at Harry, who laughed.

               Eileen led the two boys away from the school and to a secluded area among a gathering of trees. She took their hands and pulled them close before apparating to the gates of the estate. The boys raced each other to the front door, Eileen strolling behind them with a grin. Shandy and Finn barked and chased after the boys, sharing their energy and excitement. Harry pushed the door open, and the dogs barked and danced around as the boys chased the dogs and rubbed their stomachs when they would catch one and he would drop and roll over.

               “Settle down everyone,” Eileen laughed. “Goodness, we need more ladies in this house. Go free Miss Trifle, Harry.”

               Harry ran up the stairs with Ollie right behind him, the dogs following as well.

               Harry threw open his bedroom door and Miss Trifle was immediately hopping around his feet with as much excitement as everyone else. Harry picked her up and snuggled her

              

               Draco sighed as he waited patiently for Severus and Collins to finish the one hundredth potion of the day. This was so boring. He missed when Severus still worked at Hogwarts, and he would be allowed to hang out with other students and observe their potion brewing successes and fails. Having to sit around and watch two adults brew a million potions at once was only fascinating for so long and Draco was ready to move on with his life.

               He rested his head in his arms on the table as he watched Severus spell several cauldrons to the wash sink where they began washing themselves. Collins stocked several potion vials in the makeshift pharmacy area. Draco closed his eyes and wondered what Harry might be doing right now at MacAuley Estate. Probably having more fun than he was. Draco was very excited to be one of the few wizards to ever see inside the secluded, hidden wizarding home. The MacAuleys were a very private pureblood family, one of the very first to settle in Ireland. After a feud between several other pureblood families that lasted three generations, the MacAuleys closed their doors completely to the outside world, and for centuries, they have been as mysterious as a Loch Ness sighting.

               Draco opened his eyes, then sat up with a smile when he saw Severus heading his way.

               “Okay, you look tortured enough,” Severus smirked.

               “We’re leaving?” Draco asked hopefully.

               “Yes, and just in time for dinner. Come on, let’s get you settled in the guest room and introduce you to the rest of the family.”

               Draco followed Severus to one of the many fireplaces. He tried to contain himself, but his feet betrayed him by bouncing a couple times once they were in the fireplace. It was too bad he couldn’t really tell his father all about the MacAuley place, but he would make sure to rub it in that he had been honored enough to be inside the manor. That alone was enough to annoy his father.

               Severus threw down the powder and they saw several fireplaces flash before their eyes before a strange darkness took over for a brief minute and a light blinded them twice before disappearing and they saw into the manor. Draco figured it was a security ward they had encountered as he rubbed his eyes and stepped out of the fireplace.

               When he opened his eyes, he gasped and smiled, spinning in a circle to take everything in. It was nowhere near the size of Malfoy Manor, if anything, it would fit nicely tucked in the West Wing, but it was beautiful and had a bit of a historic feel to it. And there were personal touches everywhere, from the pony paintings on the walls to the couch pillows rested neatly against the armrests. He could see the second floor thanks to the open style, and he looked up even higher to catch sight of a chandelier. As much as he loved the massive size of Malfoy Manor, this place felt more like a home than an object to show off.

               Two red dogs paused at the top of the stairs before running down them barking. They both jumped up on Draco, who laughed and kneeled to pet the dogs, uncaring if his robes ended up covered in dog hair and slobber. Shandy and Finn licked his face and rolled around on the floor next to him.

               “Settling in already, I see,” Severus said.

               “This place is great,” Draco said. “You said there’s a barn, too?”

               “It’s a stable, and we can check that out tomorrow. For now, it’s dinner and then settle down time.” Severus whistled, and the two dogs ran over to his side, sitting down next to him and staring up at him expectantly. Severus reached into his robe pocket and pulled out Draco’s bag. “I’ll show you to your guest room.”

               Draco followed Severus upstairs. He wondered where Harry was hiding but figured he must be in his room. Severus stopped in front of the guest bedroom. Draco smiled as he stepped inside. It was elegant, with neutral walls and a queen-sized bed in the center. There was a large wardrobe for his robes and a desk to the right with a petite wooden chair to match. It was perfect for a pureblood.

               “I’m sure you can take it from here, hmm?” Severus asked. “Hang your clothes, then retrace your steps back downstairs. Shouldn’t be too hard, this is hardly like home for you.”

               “It’s great, Severus,” Draco said. “I’ll be right down.”

               Severus took that as his cue to leave. Draco made quick work hanging his robes and setting all his personal care items out in a small travel bag for his evening trip to the loo. He would have to make note of which door that was. He gathered his parchment books, quills, and inkstand and set them on the desk. He was sure Severus would give him homework at some point during his stay until Monday morning. He pulled out his Potions for Kids textbook Severus had bought for him last summer and set that on the desk as well. He took off his silver boots and exchanged them for his indoor slip-ons. He paused in front of the full-length mirror on an adjacent wall to the wardrobe. He smoothed out his robes, making sure he looked presentable for the MacAuleys.

               Finally, he stepped out of the bedroom, ready to join the family for dinner.

               “Oh, hi!” A blue-eyed, curly haired boy said to him from the room across from his guest room. The boy stepped forward, holding his hand out. “I’m Ollie.”

               Draco blinked, staring at Ollie’s strange, muggle-like clothing.

               “Err, hello,” Draco said, shaking the boy’s hand once and then releasing. “I don’t recall Severus saying anything about his mother and stepfather having any kids.”

               “That’s because I’m not their kid,” Ollie smiled. “But wouldn’t that be so cool! I’m just spending the weekend here.”

               “I see. Is that another guest room?”

               “No. It’s Harry’s room. I brought a sleeping bag.”

               “A what?” Draco frowned, his nose scrunching up.

               “You know, a comfy bag you sleep in on the floor. Harry and I are building a fort out of his blankets and pillows. You can join us, too! We can make it bigger if we need to.”

               “You really mean to sleep on the floor?”

               “Yeah, it’s fun. Haven’t you ever been to a sleepover?”

               “Well, yes, a couple times. But there were always plenty of beds.”

               “Eileen offered to duplicate Harry’s bed or just make it bigger, but we really wanted to make the fort and sleep on the floor. Maybe they’ll let us camp outside one night! Nice clothes by the way. You look like how Severus always does.”

               Draco’s mouth dropped. This boy was out of his mind if he thought sleeping outside of all places would be fun.

               “What did you say your last name was?” Draco asked.

               “Oh, it’s Fowey. Why?”

               “My father hosts a lot of formal parties and I’ve never seen or heard of a Fowey. You’re not a pureblood, are you?”

               “No, I’m a muggleborn. What’s that got to do with anything?”

               “It explains a lot, that’s for sure. What are you doing at the MacAuleys? They don’t even let my father in here.”

               “Harry invited me,” Ollie shrugged. “I come here a lot. Harry and I are best friends.”

               Draco seethed. A muggleborn of all people had been to the MacAuleys more times than he had ever even visited Hogwarts. And he was friends with Harry Potter now Snape? That would not do. Harry could certainly do better. He would have to remind Harry that there were right and wrong friends, especially for someone holding the kind of social status Harry now had.

               Ollie tilted his head at Draco, biting his lower lip. For some reason, the new kid looked broken, but Ollie figured he just had that kind of effect on people.

               “You okay?” Ollie asked.

               Before Draco could say anything, Harry finally came out of his bedroom with a black and white rabbit hopping at his feet. He was dressed in muggle clothing as well, looking rather content in them, too. Harry grinned when he saw Draco.

               “Draco! I see you met Ollie. We’re going to have so much fun this weekend with all three of us here. Come on, it’s time for dinner.”

               Harry led the way downstairs, Ollie quick to follow, giving Draco one last strange look.

               Draco wasn’t sure what to make of this. He was expected to sit at the same table as a muggleborn. When his father hears about this . . .

               Right, he can’t hear about this, Draco thought. He took a deep breath and followed in the direction the boys had gone in. And here he thought it would just be himself and Harry.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3443