My Little Runaway by krosi
Summary: After little Harry Potter runs away from his relatives’ home for the sixth time, Albus decides something drastic must happen. Instead of sending a friendly witch from family services like he had done before, he sends Severus Snape in hopes of scaring the boy into staying put. But when a blizzard interferes with plans, Severus learns why Harry keeps running away and a change of plans ensues.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Runaway
Challenges: Runaway
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 163347 Read: 109482 Published: 23 Oct 2017 Updated: 31 Mar 2024
Bond of the Guardian Angel by krosi

Harry slowly pushed open the door to Mr. Snape’s potions lab. He paused as he thought about shutting the door and actually obeying Mr. Snape. However, the brief second of hesitation passed as he pushed open the door more and stepped inside. He was immediately awed by the sight of two long tables with cauldrons lined up side by side. Two cauldrons on the first table were bubbling strange colors of green and blue. There were shelves and shelves of weird stuff on the walls – like wings from insects, plant leaves of all kinds, and Harry was sure he saw a jar of eyes – and another smaller square table where it looked like things were being chopped and put into containers. Against the far back wall was another shelving area where weird bottles were all lined up – vials and vials of different colored liquids and substances. A large sink was also in the back of the room, with strange brushing tools hanging above and a weird rack like structure for drying and towels laid on a shelf under the sink.

               To Harry, this was much more exciting than anything else outside of this room. Harry stepped further in and cautiously inched closer to one of the bubbling cauldrons.

               Suddenly, the cauldron stopped bubbling.

               Harry paused and wondered if he had done something to cause it. Then he realized the cauldron had been sitting on a strange heater thing and a timer was sitting nearby. The timer was at zero. Like an oven, Harry thought. A very deconstructed oven it would be.

               Harry saw a stepping stool near the many shelves of weird stuff and ran for it to drag it near the still bubbling cauldron. He wanted to see inside it before it stopped bubbling too. However, as he was just about to grab it, a loud pop startled him.

               “Master Harry sir should not be in Master Snape’s lab!” Eve said in a worried tone. “Yous must go.”

               Harry blinked at the house elf, his tongue freezing to the roof of his mouth.

               “Out, Master Harry!” Eve urged.

               Finding his voice, Harry smiled, “Hi, Eve. Why are you calling me Master?”

               “Eve is being respectful. Now Master Harry must leave potions lab.”

               “Can you just call me Harry? I’m not a master. What’s that over there?” Harry pointed at the bubbling cauldron.

               “It is Master Snape’s work and not of Eve’s concern. Ma- err, Harry must leave now. Yous not supposed to be here. Yous supposed to be playing in living room until Eve brings lunch.”

               “But it’s boring. What are you again? A house thingy?”

               “I’s is not a house thingy! Eve is a house elf! And Master Snape’s orders are to stay out of potions lab. Now yous must go!”

               “I’m only looking. I promise not to touch anything.”

               “Go, Master Harry!”

               “Just Harry.”

               “Go, Harry.”

               Harry sighed, but figured he should probably listen to the . . . house elf before she exploded in front of him. The elf was pretty insistent on him leaving Mr. Snape’s lab. Or was he supposed to be calling Mr. Snape Master Snape? That’s what Eve called him, and she said she used “Master” to be respectful. Was he being disrespectful by not calling Mr. Snape Master? As Harry left the lab he saw another door right across the hall and smiled as he remembered the man had referred to this room as his study. He wasn’t sure what “study” meant but he sure would like to find out.

               Glancing back at the potions lab door, he quickly slipped inside the study, closing the door behind him. Harry paused, his back against the door, as he realized that a “study” was very much like an office. There was a desk with a big comfy chair behind it and a stack of strange paper and a stand with feathers on the desk. This was . . . different.

               Uncle Vernon had an office, but it was nothing like this. He didn’t have the weird paper. Nor the shelves of books. And did Mr. Snape like to collect feathers?

               Before Harry could contemplate that idea more, a loud resonated through the room and Eve appeared in front of him again. She crossed her arms and frowned at Harry, who sighed.

               “I’m going, I’m going,” Harry said in defeat. Harry left the study and returned to the living room.

               Now completely bored, Harry dropped to the floor near his puzzle, where a thousand minus twenty pieces still littered the carpet. Harry figured he should continue working on the puzzle since it was really the only thing he could do. However, in his search, he could not find another piece that fit with what he had already put together. He wasn’t even sure what exactly he was putting together; the puzzle pieces he had just happened to fit. Harry threw a puzzle piece aside in frustration.

               When would Mr. Snape be back? He missed the man already. This wasn’t exactly what he had had in mind when he had gone searching for Mr. Snape. Why couldn’t this be more like the time spent together at the hotel?

               Harry knew his thinking wasn’t realistic though. Mr. Snape had to work. He had to make money in order to buy things he would need like clothes and food and fun stuff for his lab. Maybe Mr. Snape would show him his lab when he got back. He hoped the man returned soon, Harry thought as he fell over on the floor and stared up at the ceiling. Otherwise, he might die from boredom.

 

               Severus searched the shelves for a book he knew existed in the library. He had just finished his morning class and was now doing a little research on the phenomenon that had occurred between himself and Harry. He could still see the boy in that strange blue like apparition. And Harry had said he could see Severus as well, but that he was also – what were the boy’s words? Ghost like. Severus was sure he had been an apparition in a similar form as he saw Harry.

               But the question was – what had happened? And why?

               Severus found the book he was looking for – Strange Happenings: A Guide to Rare and Unusual Magical Circumstances.

               Severus chose a seat far from other students and professors, a table in the farthest and most hidden corner in the library. He should remain undisturbed here.

               Flicking open the book, Severus skimmed through it, trying to find a hint of something relating to his strange encounter with Harry. There were pages and pages on unusual effects of exotic magical plants, the rare instances where a muggle performs unexplained magic in moments of fear (where the fight and flight responses are hyperactivated), and even more pages on unexplained paranormal activity when no ghosts appear to be present. The book was odd to say the least. He had already flipped through most of the book and Severus was considering finding a different one when he stumbled across the third to last chapter.

               It’s title: The Vinculum ad Angelum Custodem: a rare bonding magic.

               This had to be it! Severus read on. 

               “Latin in origin, Vinculum ad Angelum Custodem translates to Bond of the Guardian Angel. It is one of the rarest forms of bonding spells that exist due to the complexity of its nature. While binding spells are popular in marriages and house elves, this is still very much an unexplored field of magic and more complicated spells, such as the Vinculum ad Angelum Custodem, remain unstudied. There are few known cases of this spell’s occurrence, therefore, there are few who truly understand why it exists.

               In one of the first cases explored back in 1852, Bates*, the adopted mother of two orphaned girls, explained that she had bonded with her daughters the first day she had met them. Bates explained that she had felt a strange warmth during their trip from Russia to Scotland. Bates had noted that she had had her arms wrapped around both girls. She also noted that she was always aware of where her daughters were. When further questioned, Bates explained that one of her girls went missing at Diagon Alley, and while searching for her, the girl had appeared to her as a and I quote: “ghost-like apparition, reminding me of a corporeal patronus.” When the daughter was found and interviewed, she stated that she saw Bates in a similar form. Both girls come from a hard background, having been forced to work in a factory with no pay and no parents. They seemed hesitant around strangers, and it is because of this that Bates cut off ties with investigators on the Vinculum ad Angelum Custodem, hindering any further research.  

               While trying to understand and research this particular bond myself, I only encountered two cases that were reported. The second report was a bond between a well-off wizard, George*, and a street urchin, Peter*, in 1919. George had come across the child on an outing to London and the two formed a friendly connection and George visited Peter twice a week for a year before deciding to take the boy in as his own. It is unknown when exactly the Vinculum ad Angelum Custodem had occurred, though George speculates it may have been when he had fallen asleep with the boy at his side on his couch while reading a book. He swore that he had semi woken during the night and noticed a strange blue mist around himself and Peter, but paid little mind to it, believing himself to be dreaming. Unfortunately, before further investigation could ensue years later, Peter had died tragically during events of the Second World War, and George took his own life weeks later.

               The third occurrence was another tragedy. A bond had formed between a man and a very young boy in 1925. Why the bond occurred and how remains a mystery, though physical contact seems to be a key. Witnesses believe it may have formed when the two first met and the man had attempted to rescue the boy from a burning farm, but ended up trapped inside with the child until further help came. It was the most physical contact the two ever had. The child already had a family with his single mother and grandparents, but did attempt to pursue a relationship with his rescuer. However, the man rejected all attempts, and a year later, the man and boy suffered mental disturbances. They were medicalized in an asylum until both succumbed to unrelated diseases. DNA testing later proved that the man had been the boy’s father.

               There have been no further reports during the time of my investgation.

               The Vinculum ad Angelum Custodem appears to require very certain conditions to take place. In all cases, it occurred between a child and an adult. Physical contact between the two had to have occurred for an undetermined amount of time, but it can be inferred that contact had to last more than an hour. The bond did not always seem willing among both participants, so it can be concluded that the child plays the largest role in creating the bond.

There seems to be heavy emotional involvement to create the bond. While the first two cases had children from a rough past seeking a parental figure, the last case still puzzles me. Whether the boy suffered abuse from what family he had or simply craved for a father figure, the bond’s formation seems to contrast to the creation of the first two. It can be insinuated that perhaps the feeling of longing must be overwhelming enough to establish a Vinculum ad Angelum Custodem.

I have concluded that once the bond is formed, it establishes a unique mental connection between adult and child that allows either to simply wish to see or find the other, which then forms a “corporeal patronus” apparition of each other. I have also observed that the more physical contact there is, the stronger the link and connection grows, allowing for quicker visualization of each other. This seems to be the staple of the Vinculum ad Angelum Custodem. There may also be a possible telepathic connection, however, I have not been able to observe this ability.

However, it should be said that if the bond is rejected by either side, the spell will break the mind, and my guess, the very soul of both participants – willing or not. This leads to lifelong insanity. It seems to be a heavy enough con that this could be the reason the spell is not taught, researched, and exploited; and why so few cases are reported if there are many who reject it.

I would like to further my research on this topic and hopefully discover more behind this unique, dangerous, but beautiful bonding spell.

*Names have been changed for confidentiality purposes.”

Severus reread the passage. And again. And again.

He wasn’t sure how he should feel about it. This couldn’t really be what had happened to him – could it? But the evidence was there. No other spell could have caused an apparition of the boy like he had seen. It had to be it. The Vinculum ad Angelum Custodem. And if he tried to reject it, it would lead him to lifelong insanity.

When would the bond have even taken place? He had never really touched the boy in any way that would have allowed . . .

Oh no!

Severus groaned and dropped his head on his arms as he remembered the time at the hotel, when Harry had clung to his arm and they had both fallen asleep. That had definitely surpassed an hour. He was a thousand times screwed over. And while he may have not been willing, it seemed his opinion didn’t count. How could he have missed Harry’s longing for a parental figure? And how was he going to find a way out of this? He couldn’t risk them both losing their minds.

Severus leaned in his chair, staring at the passage again. There had to be a loophole. There was always a loophole in every spell. The only thing the spell seemed to insist on was not rejecting the bond. Severus could keep the bond he had with Harry and still find him a suitable family. And perhaps just visit the boy every once in a while, to satisfy the bond. That should be enough to sustain it without risking anything. Everything he had planned should still run smoothly enough.

There was one thing Severus was sure of – He couldn’t keep the child.

 

Minerva was beyond annoyed. Where on earth was Severus? She hadn’t seen him at breakfast, nor lunch, and dinner was slowly rolling around and he had yet to show himself. Obviously, the man hadn’t called out sick as he had seemingly taught his morning and afternoon classes if the teary eyed first years and griping sixth years were anything to go by.

And it wasn’t the fact that she simply hadn’t seen the man that annoyed her. Last week, Severus had assigned detention to a couple Gryffindors and needed the Gryffindor detention log from her office. But that had been last week. And the man had yet to return the log. Honestly, she couldn’t trust the potions professor to remember to return something to her even if the man’s life depended on it. It reminded her of when Severus had been a student at Hogwarts and she would constantly remind him to turn in his homework. It wasn’t that he forgot his homework, he just simply forgot to give it to her before class ended. And his homework was always superb.

The memory made her smile as she approached Severus’s quarters. She knocked, hoping Severus was inside preparing for dinner or something. After a long moment of silence, Minerva rolled her eyes and pulled out her wand. Wherever Severus was, he wouldn’t mind her just grabbing the detention log off his desk. She had done so before and the man had seemed fine with it, always questioning her if she broke anything he should know about. She’d always just roll her eyes.

Usually, Severus would stare down and plot a murder in his head about anyone who dared invade his personal private spaces. It was something Severus felt pretty strongly about. However, her relationship with Severus had always been on the better side and she could usually get way with more than the average human being.

“Alohomora,” she muttered and opened the door. Really, Severus should invest in better security spells if he insisted on keeping his privacy.

As Minerva entered the room, she paused at the sight of a scattered puzzle on the floor. She saw the box it came from, realizing it was a puzzle of the constellations in the night sky. A thousand pieces at that. And a few pieces were already put together. Was Severus working on a puzzle now? And so far down on the floor? That was rather . . . atypical of the man. Of course, what did Minerva know of Severus’s personal life?

               Minerva moved to the man’s study and immediately spotted the detention log with the Slytherin detention log on the man’s desk. She picked up the Gryffindor one and skimmed through the pages, making sure Severus had filled out what was needed and had signed it. After confirming everything was up to date, Minerva left the study.

               And paused when she saw two emerald eyes peering out at her from behind Severus’s bedroom door. And just as they made eye contact, the door slammed shut.

               Minerva just stared at the wooden door. What on earth had that been? A shy house elf? Some kind of pet Severus had hidden here? It almost appeared to be a . . . child.

               “Hello?” Minerva questioned moving towards the door. She knocked on it softly. “Hello? Is someone in here? It’s okay, I won’t hurt you. You must know Severus. Well, I’m his friend. You can trust me. Are you a . . . relative, perhaps?”

               There was no sound from the other side of the door. Minerva wondered if she had truly scared this child. She figured the boy had to be a wizard, and if not, he was clearly familiar with magic if he was in Hogwarts. Or she. Minerva wasn’t really sure about any relatives Severus may have outside the immediate family she was familiar with. Was this perhaps a distant cousin he was babysitting?

               Babysitting. Now there was an idea to laugh at. Severus babysitting. She wondered how many times this child may have cried in his presence. Poor kid.

               Minerva looked around Severus’s quarters. The place did not seem kid friendly at all. There were hardly any toys, books, coloring utensils, nothing! That puzzle on the floor now made since but what was Severus thinking? A thousand-piece puzzle for a little child? Some might be able to solve it, but in Minerva’s short experience with young children like this one, most ended up frustrated and would quit rather than see it to the end. Minerva rolled her eyes. She would have to give Severus some pointers about children and what was appropriate.   

               “Hey,” Minerva tried again softly, smiling despite the kid couldn’t see her. “My name’s Minerva. You may call me Minny if you’d like. Have you been here all day? Alone? You must be very bored.”

               Still no response. How to lure a child out of a room . . .?

               Ahh. She had a way.

               “Do you like cats?” Minerva asked.

               With that, Minerva dropped down into her tabby form and meowed loudly at the door, sticking a paw under and feeling around for feet. She didn’t feel any, but the door cracked open the slightest and those emerald eyes peered down at her. She noticed the shocked and nervous look when the eyes darted around the room, clearly searching for the person that was once standing and talking to him. Then, the door opened more, and the child stepped out, smiling down at the cat.

               And Minerva nearly had a heart attack when she realized who the child was.

               Harry Potter!

               She purred instinctively as Harry ran his hand down her back. But Minerva’s thoughts were all over as she stared at the boy. But Harry was reported missing six days ago! Had he been here this entire time? Right under their noses? Did Albus know Harry was in Severus Snape’s quarters? Or had . . .?

               Minerva truly hoped Severus hadn’t kidnapped the boy. This could land the man in a lot of trouble. But Severus had never shown any interest in Harry Potter before. This wasn’t making sense. And it was getting hard to focus with Harry’s constant petting. Perhaps the child could answer her questions. Well, it was now or never.

               Minerva shifted back into herself, feeling bad for scaring the boy as he watched his eyes widen and the child nearly fell backwards into the bedroom. Then, she had to think quickly as the boy ran back into the bedroom and tried to shut the door.

               “Wait!” Minerva said, putting her foot in the door to stop it from shutting and pushing her way in.

               The boy ran to his bed, calling out “Eve!”

               Eve? Wasn’t that Severus’s . . . oh no.

               “Harry, shh, it’s okay, I’m not here to hurt you.”

               “Eve!” Harry called again, jumping up on his bed and curling into a corner. “Eve!”

               “Harry! Please, stop.”

               Harry paused and frowned at her. Minerva wondered if it was because she had said his name a couple times without even a formal introduction. Then, a loud pop caught her attention and they both turned to look at Eve, who squeaked in alarm.

               “No, Eve, wait!” Minerva tried to stop the elf, but she had already popped away just as quickly as she had appeared.

               Minerva sighed. Severus would probably come running now. However, there was nothing she could do about that. She turned and looked at Harry who was still sitting on his bed. And it was then she noticed the boy even had a bed here. It seems he was rather comfortable in it. She also noticed the Rubik’s cube and yoyo on a nearby shelf, along with a fairy tale book. Minerva shook her head – didn’t Severus know anything about entertaining children?

               “It’s okay, Harry,” Minerva smiled at the boy. “My name is Minerva. You can call me Minny if you’d like.”

               The boy just stared at her. Minerva held back a sigh and looked at the Rubik’s cube. She smiled and said, “Watch this.”

               Flickering her wand, she transfigured the Rubik’s cube into a mini, colorful but squarish robot, with a yellow square piece to wind it up. Keeping her distance, she magically winded it up and released it. They both watched as the robot walked in circles on the shelf, slowly and very much in classic robot motion. Minerva’s smile grew as Harry offered a smile as well. Harry reached over and picked up the robot toy, happily studying it and fiddling with the wind up.

               Remembering the puzzle, Minerva lit up with an idea.

               “Come watch this,” Minerva encouraged leaving the room and hoping the boy followed her to the living room. As she stood near the puzzle, she looked back at Severus’s bedroom doorway, glad to see Harry leaning against the frame with the little robot in his hands. She smiled, then flicked her wand at the puzzle.

               The pieces all began flying to their respective places, completing the puzzle in seconds. Minerva flicked her wand again, and all he constellations came to life, forming white shapes in the air in the bluish night mist that appeared, matching the night sky of the puzzle. Animals and ancient heroes danced through the mist, around the living room, a lion purring as it rubbed up against Minerva’s legs.

               Harry watched in awe as he stepped out further into the living room, petting the lion that felt like fluff as it pounced over to him. An eagle flew past him and Harry stared in awe. Two bears walked by in the air. To Harry, it looked like a mama and her cub. A man with a bow aimed an arrow at a leaping ram, paused, and waved down at Harry with a smile. Harry happily smiled up and waved back.

               Minerva watched on, glad to have a positive interaction with the boy. Hopefully, she could get him to open and answer a few questions.

 

               After teaching his second class of the day after lunch (which he had spent in the library), Severus found himself back in the library. He reread the passage from the book he had found and then tried to find more on the Vinculum ad Angelum Custodem bonding spell. After over an hour of searching, he had found nothing more on the spell. This was frustrating.

               At least he found something on telepathic communication. Severus had never bothered learning telepathy, preferring to learn occlumency and practicing Legilimency. This technique would be interesting if it truly was a part of this whole bonding thing. It seemed to be harder than simply making eye contact and thinking words. One had to truly will his words to the other person. However, the bond that now existed between himself and Harry should make it easier to learn and practice. Severus wondered if it might just come naturally. At least now that he knew about it, it might be worth practicing.

               However, the fact that they were bonded left a heavy weight on Severus’s shoulders. What had he done, following through with Albus’s crazy plan? He should have known it would backfire in the worst way. He wondered why the bond hadn’t punished them for not being together for almost two weeks, but he reasoned that neither were actively rejecting the other. What did that even mean – to reject the bond? Emotionally? Physically?

               If the bond was heavily focused on emotions, then perhaps it was hating the child? But he did hate Harry Potter, the son of his worst enemy, James Potter. Didn’t he hate the boy? He surely hated the boy’s father.

               But as Severus thought through his time with Harry, he found that he couldn’t hate Harry. As of right now, the boy was an innocent child in the middle of a terrible situation. But that didn’t mean he – heaven forbid – loved the boy! No, it wasn’t love. He cared for the child’s wellbeing, but not to that extent. Did he even like Harry? He could hardly stand the boy’s sudden hugs and bright, trusting smiles. No, it wasn’t like.

               It was tolerance.

               That was the word. He tolerated Harry. And the bond they now had didn’t seem to care, as long as he didn’t push the boy away.

               Severus sighed and rubbed at his face tiredly. What a long day. He wondered how Harry was doing, seeing as how the boy had been in his quarters alone with a house elf all day. Eve had reported to him at lunch saying that he boy had shown little interest in his lunch, complaining that his stomach hurt. Severus remembered that the boy had probably not eaten full meals like the dinner and breakfast he had fed the kid, and now his stomach was hurting as it tried to adjust. Severus sent Eve back to Harry with a stomach soother, and he told Eve to deliver a hearty snack for the boy in an hour or so, along with an antiemetic and appetite stimulator. Harry would probably be on that until his stomach adjusted again.

               He should probably head down to his quarters and join Harry for dinner at the very least. It probably wasn’t very appropriate leaving a child alone for so long. But there wasn’t much he could do about that. As he returned the library books, Eve appeared at his side with a loud pop.

               “Master Snape!” she exclaimed in a nervous breath, “Professor McGonagall is in your quarters with Ma- err, Harry!”

               Severus groaned, sure that Minerva had discovered the boy if Eve was exhilaratingly alerting him to her presence. Didn’t that woman know how to knock? Although, he had allowed her entrance to his quarters without his permission before. He usually didn’t care as long as she had good reason. Well, he better go fix this.

               He dismissed Eve and quickly left the library and headed to his quarters. Upon arrival, he was surprised to see Harry smiling down at a completed puzzle on the floor. Harry smiled up at him, his eyes brightening, but the boy said nothing as he looked back down at the puzzle. As he looked closer, Severus realized the stars in the puzzle actually twinkled and occasionally a shooting star or comet shot across the wooden puzzle. It was a muggle puzzle, so Severus was sure Minerva edited the little puzzle. Wonderful.

               Severus also saw a little colorful robot toy in Harry’s hands. Probably another of Minerva’s editions.

               “There you are, Severus Snape!” came Minerva’s voice.

               Severus sighed and turned to face her as she came out from his kitchen and glared at him. “You better start explaining before I regain my senses and alert the Aurors! Harry Potter has been missing for days and he’s been here this whole time! Are you trying to cause a mass panic in the wizarding world!? You know what that boy means to the public! Why is he here? Well, answer me!”

               “I can explain,” Severus said, holding up his hands defensively. “But it might just be easier to show you my conversation with Albus and what happened at the hotel.”

               Minerva crossed her arms and seemed to pout for a moment, looking down at the boy who was watching them with interest, before nodding and saying, “Fine. If it’ll be easier.”

               Severus led Minerva to his lab, telling Harry to stay put in the living room, and pulled out a pensieve. Severus pulled the memories of his conversation with Albus about Harry running away and the plan to scare the boy into staying put; some brief moments at the hotel, such as the bruises on Harry’s back and the boy’s strange questions about magic and freakiness; the brief encounter with the Dursleys; eavesdropping on Albus and a social worker; and then rescuing Harry. Severus kept out the strange bond part and his arrest, as well as the time at the swimming pool. That was all unneeded information.

               Once Minerva was done observing everything, she seemed teary eyed, but they quickly flashed with anger.

               “I knew it! I knew those people were terrible caregivers for Harry. But Albus didn’t listen to me. Now look at what the poor boy’s been through.”

               “And that is why no one can know he is here.”  

               “Oh Severus, if only it were that easy. How long can you possibly keep him hidden here?”

               “I’ll find a way. Starting with some better security on my quarters.”

               “Why don’t you inform the Ministry, they could help . . .”

               “They will do what they think is best, Minerva. And Albus will hear of it and he can be very influential. And you know what the man wants done with Harry.”

               “But . . . oh, I don’t know, Severus. You’re playing a risky game.”

               “I know. But I just need time to find Harry good family . . .”

               “You’re not keeping him?”

               “What?”

               Minerva blinked at him before shaking her head, “Never mind.”

               Severus frowned but continued.

               “This is temporary. I just need enough time to find Harry someplace permanent to stay and then once Harry is settled, I’ll work things out with the ministry. It’ll be harder for them to remove Harry once he is settled in a new home and is secure. Besides, I have proof of abuse and I’m sure that Skeeter would love a good headliner. This plan should work.”

               “But Severus, I mean, do you even know how to take care of a child? Even if it is for a short time? I mean you’re just a kid yourself!”

               “I am not . . .”

               “Don’t argue with me Severus Snape! You’re the youngest of the staff currently here. Now answer me, do you know the first thing about raising kids?”

               “Well, let’s see,” Severus began sarcastically, “three meals a day with water always available, a few treats here and there to reward good behavior, a place to sleep, a place to use the bathroom, occasionally walks every now and then . . .”

               Realizing what Severus was talking about, she rolled her eyes and sighed exasperatedly. This man could be so frustrating sometimes.

               “Haha, Severus,” Minerva followed Severus out of the lab and back to the living room, where Harry was winding up his robot and watching it walk around on the floor. “I will agree with your plan, though. On one condition.”

               “And what might that be?”

               “You let me help you.”

               “Absolutely not. This is difficult enough as it is . . .”

               “Don’t you give me any of that, young man. You need my help. I may not have had children of my own, but I did have enough experience with young ones to know enough. Do you honestly think its healthy to just leave a kid down here all the time? With no one to play with? Nothing to do?”

               “I have a schedule in the making that includes learning material and chores for him to do, mostly making his bed and picking up after himself, but . . .”

               “It’s not enough,” Minerva insisted. “He needs a teacher. And I have Wednesdays and Saturdays free. Perhaps I can tutor him. And before you say no, think about what is best for Harry. He needs more company than a grumpy potions master and a busy house elf.”

               Severus sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose before nodding.

               “Fine. You can tutor him those days. Will that satisfy you?”

               “No. He needs more clothes. I took the liberty of looking around at what you have supplied. More clothes, more toys, and more books. Kids need stimulation, you know. It is very important to their health. And a thousand-piece puzzle? Really? Isn’t he seven?”

               “So? It would have kept him busy.”

               “Oh? One more question. Is there a reason he won’t talk to me?” Minerva looked down at the boy.

               Severus smirked as he said, “He’s selective about who he speaks to and in front of.”

               “Get off your high horse, Severus.”

               Suddenly, Eve popped into the room, grabbing both adults’ attention.

               “I’s just need to inform Master Snape that Harry was in your lab and study today. Eve made sure he left – Eve did! And Harry was very good otherwise.”

Severus turned his eyes on Harry with a look of disbelief as Eve popped away.

“You went into my lab and my study? After I specifically told you not to? Why would you do that? Did you think I just make up rules just to have rules for you? I told you . . .” Severus groaned as he rubbed at his face with a hand. Harry just stared up at him with a trembling lower lip. Children made no sense sometimes. Severus glared at Minerva as the woman began laughing.

“Oh, Severus,” she smiled. “Welcome to the world of parenting.”

“I want out,” Severus muttered under his breath.

“Well, I’ll be on my way,” Minerva decided, picking up the detention log she had come for. “I’ll find some more age appropriate items for Harry and I’ll see you later, handsome man,” Minerva cooed at Harry, who smiled at her and waved as she headed for the door. Severus followed her, opening the door for her. Minerva paused outside the door and looked up at Severus. “You know, you might want to consider hiding Harry at your –”

“No!” Severus growled. “Absolutely not. You know I’ve cut off those ties.”

“It’s been five years, Severus.”

“I don’t care.”

“See?” Minerva gave Severus a pointed look. “You really are still just a child. I’ll see you around. Take care of Harry.”

“What do you think I’ve been doing?” Severus called after her. He shook his head as he shut his door. He saw Harry staring up at him with a smile. He glared back at the boy.

“I like Minny,” Harry stated.

“Minny?” Severus raised an eyebrow.

“She told me I could call her that. Do you know she can turn into a cat?”

“I still can’t believe you disobeyed me as soon as I left,” Severus frowned.

“Sorry,” Harry pulled on his sad face.

“Don’t give me that. If you ever go into any of those rooms without my knowledge or permission again . . .” Severus wasn’t really sure what to threaten the boy with, so he just gave Harry a pointed look. Harry seemed to get the message and nodded his head. “Good. Now come to the table. Dinner is ready.”

Harry jumped up with his robot, gladly holding up the new toy to show to Severus, who simply nodded and directed the boy to the table.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3443