Unexpected Truce: Revision by mandancie
Summary: Help is found in the unlikeliest of places. I hope that you enjoy this updated version of my story. Some things will be the same as the original, but there will be subtle changes. This story is Alternate Universe. Severus mentors Harry story. The characters will be a little OOC.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Evil!Albus, Injured!Harry, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Character Bashing, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 39429 Read: 27554 Published: 03 Jan 2018 Updated: 04 Aug 2020
Chapter 13: More Puzzle Pieces by mandancie

Harry wasn’t happy. The last place he wanted was to be back with his relatives. He had been gone for almost a week, so he knew that his Uncle wasn’t going to just let him in without yelling at him. If that were the only thing he would do. It had been a long time since his uncle beat him. Getting jumped by Dudley and his friends was a constant but getting hit by Uncle Vernon tapered off when Harry started going to Hogwarts. He clutched the fabric in his hand. Looking at it, he was happy that his Professor let him keep it.

Harry felt a hand fall on his shoulder. He almost jumped. He forgot that Remus was walking with him. Deep down, he had wished that Professor Snape came with him, but he was glad he wasn’t alone.

At the same time, he felt Remus’ hand; he felt fur under his arm. Harry looked down and smiled a little. Snuffles was right beside him. Cradling the cloak in one hand, Harry let his fingers absently rubbed behind the dog’s ear.

When they got to the door, Harry stood there for a second. Remus leaned down and whispered in Harry’s ear.

“Don’t worry,” Remus said. “You’ll be fine. Sirius will take care of you.”

Harry didn’t reply. He just nodded.

“Why do I have to go back?” Harry asked.

“Harry, you will not be alone,” Severus said. “I’m sure your godfather will stay by your side the entire time. Remus will talk with your relatives and make sure they understand what is expected of them.”

“You want me to talk to them?” Remus asked.

“You’re the one with the coolest head,” Severus said.

Sirius was going to say something, but thinking about it, maybe Remus did have the cooler head. Growing up, Remus was the one that was the talk of reason when he or James wanted to do something. Thinking about it, he would be the one staying with his godson, so he was fine.

“Harry,” Severus said, looking back at the child. “You will be fine. They will watch after you.”

“But what about you,” Harry whispered.

Severus looked at the boy. Hearing the plea, caught Severus by surprise.

“If everything goes as plan,” Severus said. “You’ll see me at the start of term.”

Harry looked at his teacher. He didn’t understand why they need to be near him was important. If he were asked last year, or even his first through the third year, if he wanted to be in the Potions Professor’s present, he would laugh in their face. Now, it just made him sad knowing that he would be separated from him.

“Since you’re finished eating,” Severus said. “Why don’t you go ahead and leave.”

Remus stood up, “Come, Harry.”

Sirius and Remus walked out of the kitchen, leaving Harry alone with Severus.

“Promise me. I’ll see you later,” Harry said gripping the cloak that was still around his shoulders. He felt like a fool saying that, but he couldn’t help it.

“Why wouldn’t you?” Severus asked. “I’ll be at the head table when you arrive with your friends.”

Harry sighed. His brow furrowed. “Okay,” Harry said. He didn’t understand why not seeing the Professor until the start of school upset him. He looked down at his hands and saw that he was still gripping Professor Snape’s cloak. The boy shrugged his shoulders, letting the cloak slide off of him. He held it out to Snape.

Severus looked down at his cloak and saw the tight grip Harry had on it. He didn’t need it back as he had several cloaks in his chambers. Severus put his hands over Harry’s and pushed them softly towards Harry.

“I’ll tell you what,” Severus said. “Hold on to this, and I will collect it at the beginning of the semester.”

Harry's grip hadn’t let go of the cloak since then. He raised his hand to knock on the door. There was movement heard from the other side. A few moments later, the door was yanked open by a man the size of the doorway.

“You have some gall coming back,” Vernon snarled. “What are you doing here, boy?”

“May I come in?” Harry asked.

“No one would take your ungrateful tale, would they?” Vernon said. There was a sneer in his voice. “Well, you will not come back in here.”

For a second, the thought of not returning to this hellhole made Harry’s heart flutter. It meant he could stay with his Professor, but it quickly deflated when Remus spoke.

“I’m sorry,” Remus said. “You must be under the delusion that you have a choice. For your family to be safe, Harry must live here.”

After everything his relatives put him through, Harry didn’t care if they were safe or not. But he kept his mouth closed.

“Who the bloody hell are you?” Vernon said.

Vernon was so intent on belittling Harry that he didn’t notice that there was another person on his stoop.

“My name is Remus Lupin. I’m one of Harry’s professors at Hogwarts.”

“Don’t you dare say that school in front of me,” Vernon growled. He reached out to Harry, grabbing his shirt and pulling the boy towards him. “What have you been spreading about us? What lies have you told?”

Vernon pulled the child with so quickly and with such force that it took Remus by surprise. Remus could see Harry trying to struggle out of his uncle’s grip. Snuffles didn’t take any time pouncing on the rotund man.

Vernon instantly let Harry go and started battling with this mangy dog.

“Get off,” Vernon roared. “Get off of me!”

“Snuffles,” Remus said calmly. “That’s enough.”

Snuffles turned his head and looked at Remus. Remus had a hand on Harry’s shoulder, while the other one was rubbing his back, trying to calm the child down.

“After that outburst,” Remus said. “I believe we’ve caused a bit of a scene. If you don’t want the rest of this conversation for others’ ears, I suggest we take this inside.”

“You will not bring that mutt in this house!” Vernon demanded.

Remus nodded. “Yes, you will. Inside, Snuffles.”

Snuffles didn’t stand in the doorway another second before he rushed past Vernon going in the house. There was a scream coming from inside the house.

“Vernon! There is a dog sitting on my sofa!”

“Mummy, a dog is trying to eat my food!”

“VERNON!”

“It seems you have a bit of a problem going on inside,” Remus said calmly.

Harry was trying his best not to laugh but was not successful. Remus looked around and saw people were coming out of their homes. A few who were walking in the neighborhood were stopping in front of the house looking, trying to figure out what was going on.

“Shall we continue here,” Remus said, looking back at Vernon. “Or will you allow us inside.”

Vernon looked at the gathering crowd. The last thing he wanted was to allow these freaks in this house, but it was true, they were causing a scene.

“Get in,” Vernon sneered quietly.

Remus put his arm around Harry and escorted the child inside. After Dursley manhandled his cub, the last thing he wanted was to make Harry an easy target again.

Vernon quickly closed the door, leaving everyone who was gaping their way at the house to go back to their business.

___000___000___000

Severus had mix feelings watching Harry leave with the mutt and wolf. As much as he didn’t trust the mutt, Severus knew that Sirius would protect his godson. Though the potions master couldn’t get that nagging feeling when he and Harry separated.

Severus apparated after leaving Grimmauld Place, going to his home in Spinner’s End. He was planning on staying here for a moment before heading back to Hogwarts. But the knock on his front door changed that plan. Not expecting anyone, Severus pulled out his wand and walked to the door.

Waving his wand, Severus cleared the way the door so that he could see who was on the other side. To say he was shocked was an understatement. Putting his wand back, he opened the door.

“Hello, Severus, may I come in.”

Severus moved aside and let the two women come in. Severus escorted the two women to his sitting room. Narcissa lowered her shawl from over her head, sitting on the threadbare sofa.

The other woman didn’t sit down. She was walking around, looking at the meager items in the room. Severus knew it was Bellatrix.

“I’m surprised to see you, Narcissa,” Severus said. “Can I offer you something to drink?”

“No, thank you, Severus,” Narcissa said. “I’ve come to ask for your help.”

“I don’t know why you want to ask this coward to do anything,” Bellatrix snarled, holding one of the small trinkets from Severus’ small mantel.

“We mustn’t touch what isn’t yours,” Severus said smoothly. “And don’t be jealous because the Dark Lord has entrusted me with his plans and not you.”

“You know his plans?” Bellatrix asked, incredulously.

“I’m well-informed of many of the Dark Lord’s plans,” Severus said.  

Bellatrix fumed as she put the trinket back on the mantel a lot harder than necessary. Severus just smirked at her; then, he put his attention on Narcissa.

“You came here for what in particular,” Severus said.

“You know the Dark Lord wants Draco to do something?” Narcissa asked.

“I’m aware,” Severus said. “But what does it have to do with me?”

“Draco’s just a boy. My only child. He could probably not survive this,” Narcissa said, trying not to cry.

“Probably not,” Severus said, callously. “It is basically a punishment for your husband’s blunder.”

“He didn’t do it,” Narcissa said, standing up from the sofa.

“It’s not my mind you need to change. The Dark Lord has made his decision.” Severus said, unperturbed by Narcissa’s outburst. “So, what are you doing here?”

“I wanted to ask if you could watch over Draco during the school year?” Narcissa said. Her voice sounded defeated, sitting back down.

“Watch over him,” Severus said, quizzically. “For what reason? I have no vested stock in what Draco Malfoy does. Outside his work in school and that he follows the rules.”

“He’s your godson,” Narcissa said.

“No,” Severus said, sitting down on the sofa next to Narcissa. “No, he’s not. You made sure of that.”

“But…”

“My answer is final,” Severus said, standing back up. “Good day, ladies.”

“I told you, he wouldn’t help,” Bellatrix said. “He’s nothing but a coward.”

Narcissa looked up at Severus and saw that he was serious. He would not save her son. There was a small part of her that wished she never withdrew Severus as Draco’s godfather. She saw what it did to her Dragon, but it was necessary.

Defeated, Narcissa stood up and walked out of the house. Bellatrix felt that she had to make one more stab at the Potion Master. She never liked Severus even when they were in school when she got to Severus' side.

“You think you’re so special,” Bellatrix sneered. “But I know a lot about you. Like your mother and aunt. You think you made everyone believe that they mean nothing to you, but I know differently. You better keep your eye on them. You just might lose them.”

Severus didn’t like what he was hearing, but it didn’t show on his face. He looked down at the woman that was trying to get a rise out of him. As quickly as he could, he delved into her mind and saw what she was talking about. He saw that she and Fenrir were talking to a hooded person at Hog’s Head Tavern. He saw them talking about his mother and their next target: Poppy. Severus withdrew from Bellatrix when she finished her rant.

Severus said nothing in response. He just watched Bellatrix leave his house. Once he knew they were gone, Severus apparated to his house in Manchester. It would be better if he floo’ed to his chambers from there instead of his Spinner’s End address.

___000___000___000

Poppy finished up her list for Severus. Putting the clipboard down on the shelf, Poppy stretched her arms above her head. It straightened her back and relaxed her neck. She knew standing in one spot for a long period would make her stiff. But she was happy to be finished finally. And in good time. The list wasn’t as long as she expected so Severus would have plenty of time to get these finished.

Walking out of her cupboard, she walked towards her office so she could take a mild muscle relaxer to soothe her back and neck muscles. While walking towards her office, she heard some rustling noise. Looking around, the matron didn’t see anything. It wasn’t that alarming to her as the castle was old and made several creaking noises. She continued her trek and passing the row of cots. She started feeling nervous. It was the urge to get to the sanctuary of her office. There was another rustling sound that had her looking around. She still was the only person in the room. Quickening her pace, she headed to her office. Almost at the door, she felt someone put their hand on her shoulder. A shriek escaped her mouth, turning towards the person holding her.

“It’s just me.”

“Oh Severus,” Poppy said, lightly smacking his arm. “You scared me.”

“We need to get out of here,” Severus said.

“What’s wrong?” Poppy asked.

“Whoever took mother, is coming for you,” Severus said.

“What? Why?”

“I don’t know,” Severus said, gripping Poppy by her elbow and heading towards her fireplace.

There was a loud crack. Before Severus could grab the floo powder, a flash of light let him know that someone cast a spell. As fast as he could, Severus wordlessly and wandlessly cast a Protego over the two of them, but it wasn’t fast enough. Poppy was hit from behind, collapsing in Severus’ arms.

Before the next spell could be sent, Severus sent a cutting hex towards the area he believed the curse came from. At the same time, throwing down the powder and escaping through the green flames.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3460