Unexpected Truce: Revision by mandancie
Summary: Help is found in the unlikeliest of places. I hope that you enjoy this updated version of my story. Some things will be the same as the original, but there will be subtle changes. This story is Alternate Universe. Severus mentors Harry story. The characters will be a little OOC.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Evil!Albus, Injured!Harry, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Character Bashing, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 39429 Read: 27556 Published: 03 Jan 2018 Updated: 04 Aug 2020
Chapter 15: And Into The Fire by mandancie

While Remus talked with Vernon and Petunia, Harry went upstairs with Snuffles. Harry walked into his room, closing the door behind his godfather.

Snuffles looked around the room and let out a whine at the state of the room. The broken cupboard. The padlock on Hedwig’s cage. The so-called bed Harry was currently sitting on.

Harry sighed and looked at the dog.

“Doesn’t seem too exciting, does it?” Harry asked.

Snuffles change to Sirius. He waved his wand casting a silencing charm on the door.

“Cub,” Sirius said, kneeling in front of Harry. “Will you talk to me?”

Harry looked at his godfather. He had a blank look on his face.

“I’m not mad, Sirius,” Harry said. “I was just hurt. But Professor Snape said it was fine.” Harry shrugged.

Sirius stood up and walked around the small room. “This is where you’ve been living?”

Harry nodded. “Yeah. Better than where it was before.”

Sirius turned and faced Harry. “Where were you staying before?”

Harry said nothing.

Sirius walked over to the rickety desk and saw the picture on it. He couldn’t help the sad smile on his face.

“You know, I was the one that took this picture,” Sirius commented, showing Harry his parents.

A light sparked in Harry’s eyes. Harry got off the bed and walked over to Sirius.

“Really?” Harry asked. “Where were you? I’ve always wanted to know the story behind this picture. Why were they laughing?”

Sirius smiled, watching Harry fire off question after question. It’s been a long time since he saw the hope in the boy.

“Okay,” Sirius said, stopping the questions. “We were in Godric’s Hollow. I was with James when Lily came and met us.”

Sirius and Harry sat down on the bed. Harry’s eyes didn’t leave his parent’s picture.

“The reason they were smiling and dancing was because Lily had some news for James,” Sirius said, smiling.

“What news did she have?” Harry asked, looking at his parents dancing.

“She found out she was going to have you,” Sirius said, wrapping his arm around Harry’s shoulders.

Harry couldn’t believe his ears. He looked up at Sirius, shocked. He looked down at the photo again. Watching his dad twirling his mum around and then lean in a kissed her.

She was pregnant with me, Harry thought.

The pounding of steps disrupted Harry’s musing. Harry snatched his parents’ picture from Sirius’ hands. Waving his hand, Sirius canceling the charm and changing back. Harry sat down on the bed, with Snuffles lying on the bed next to him. There was a pounding on the door.

Snuffles laid his head on Harry’s lap, giving him some support. The door swung open. Harry’s grip on Snuffles tightened.

“How dare you bring these freaks with you,” Vernon growled.

Vernon walked towards Harry, ready to dish out punishment. Snuffles stood on the bed, growling at Vernon, keeping him back from his godson.

“This mutt will not stay here,” Vernon ordered. “Take him out of here.”

Harry didn’t say anything. Vernon didn’t like being ignored. He lunged for Harry, but before he reached Harry, Snuffle jumped on the bed next to Harry and placed his front paws on Harry’s lap and snapped at Vernon’s hand. Vernon shrieked, removing his hand.

Harry couldn’t hold it back. He snickered. He’d never heard that sound come from his uncle.

“This mutt is not staying here,” Vernon bellowed.

“I think he is,” Harry said softly.

Harry shocked himself when he said that out loud. He never talked back to his relatives. He guessed it was since his godfather was here giving him.

“How dare you talk to me like that?” Vernon said. He was astounded.

Harry stood up and walked up to Vernon. His head held tall. Snuffles stood next to him.

“My dog stays,” Harry said. There was confidence in his tone.

If Snuffles could smile, he would be beaming.

“I will not stand for this,” Vernon growled, pointing his finger at Harry.

Snuffles growled. Vernon back away and left out of the room, slamming the door. Harry turned and sat back down on the bed. Snuffles walked over to the bed and put his head on the bed.

“Yeah,” Harry said, rubbing Snuffles’ head. “I’ll hear about this in the morning.” Snuffles whines. “I’m not worried. I’ve had worse, but I know you’re here.” Harry leaned down and put his forehead on Snuffles’ head.

Later, Harry laid down on the bed. Snuffles changed to Sirius and looked at Harry while he slept. He saw that Harry still had Severus’ cloak in his hand. Sirius looked at the so-called blankets Harry had and shook his head. What were you subjected to, Pronglet? Sirius carefully pulled Snape’s cloak from Harry’s hand and draped it over Harry. Sirius patted Harry’s head.

“Sleep well, Pronglet,” Sirius whispered. He turned back into Snuffles, curled on the floor, and went to sleep.

___000___000___000

Remus walked in Minerva’s room. Severus was standing by the window on the far wall.

“Remus,” Minerva said. She was surprised to see him; Severus turned to face the door. “What brings you here?”

Remus looked from Minerva to Severus.

“I didn’t tell her,” Severus said.

“Tell me what?” Minerva said, looking from one wizard to the other.

“Poppy was rushed here,” Remus said.

“What?”

“Mother,” Severus said, walking to the side of her bed. “Poppy and I were attacked in the Infirmary. I brought her here. That’s why we’re here. Then you were brought in.” Severus turned his attention to Remus. “Were you able to get Poppy moved?”

“Yes,” Remus said nodding. “They’re bringing her now. A few of the medi-witches don’t want you tearing down the place.”

Severus saw the mirth in Remus’ eyes and smirked.

The medi-witch came in, followed by a bed with Poppy lying on it. The matron waved her wand and slid Minerva’s bed closer to the wall. Once Poppy was placed in the room, the matron left the room without saying a word.

Severus walked over to the door, closing it, casting a privacy charm on the door.

Poppy started to wake up.

“Severus,” Poppy slurred.

Severus went to the side of Poppy’s bed.

“I’m right here, Poppy,” Severus softly said.

Severus held her hand. And put his other hand on her head, rubbing her forehead with his thumb.

“How are you feeling?” Severus asked.

“I’ll be fine,” Poppy said, smirking. “It takes more than a jinx to stop me. You know that.”

“Mother’s here,” Severus said, stepping out of her line of sight to Minerva.

“Minerva,” Poppy whispered, turning to the side. “Where were you? How are you?”

“I’m fine,” Minerva said. “Who did this to you?”

“I don’t know,” Poppy said. “Severus came to me, telling me that someone was after me.”

Both women put their attention on Severus.

“It is looking like the Dark Lord is coming after you two,” Severus said.

“Us?” Poppy asked though it sounded like a statement. “Why?”

Minerva looked over at Poppy then to her adopted son.

“They’re trying to get you?” Minerva asked, looking at her son.

“It’s looking that way,” Severus said. “I don’t know what is being planned. He’s telling me one thing but going to others saying something else.”

“Do you think he knows of your relationships with Poppy and Minerva?” Remus asked.

“I know I haven’t portrayed it,” Severus replied. “But that doesn’t mean that someone figured something from the past. A few people knew that you adopted me,” looking at Minerva.

“So, what can we do?” Minerva said.

“Your kidnapping was blackmail,” Severus said.

“You did what they wanted,” Poppy said. “Why still come after me?”

“That’s the question of the day,” Remus said.

Severus had a theory but didn’t voice it. He wasn’t sure if he were correct or not.

“Severus,” Minerva said. “What were they using me to blackmail you with?”

Severus looked at Remus and then to his mother.

“I had Harry,” Severus said.

“That’s why you left Hogwarts?” Minerva asked.

Severus nodded.

“I’ve always felt something wasn’t right about that,” Minerva said, slightly shaking her head. “It wasn’t like you to just disappear from me.”

“People knew,” Severus continued, “that Harry was with me instead of his relatives.”

Severus pulled a piece of parchment out of his pocket and handed it to his mother.

“I had to give Harry back, or they would kill you.”

Minerva didn’t say anything. What could she say? There was silence in the room.

Both wizards kept vigil over the two witches that done everything they could for them.

___000___000___000

There was never a dull day at the Burrow. The family of redheads was always busy. This night, Molly had several things working at the same time. She was cooking dinner while she charmed the brush to scrub the dirty pots when she was finished with them. She also had her needlework going to get a head start on her Christmas jumpers.

It was the usual noise happening within the house. Arthur was due to come home soon. Bill and Charlie were “free men” as they called it. Percy was upstairs in his room, secluded behind a silencing charm so he could read in peace. The twins were in their room doing something that Molly hoped wouldn’t cause the house to burn down. Ron and Ginny were in Ron’s room, having a heated discussion about their favorite Quidditch team.

The sudden pounding on the stairs let Molly know her children were coming down the stairs. And in a hurry.

“Hey, ma,” George said.

“We’re outside,” Fred said.

Neither boy waited to see if she would respond or not. Molly just learned that as long as they didn’t break anyone or anything, she would let them do what they wanted. With seven children, she learned to pick her battles.

It got a little quieter when the twins left. Molly went to the bottom of the stairs.

“Ginny,” Molly called out.

“Yeah, ma,” Ginny’s reply.

“Come down here,” Molly said. “I need your help with something.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Molly could hear snickering. “Ronald.”

“Ma’am,” came Ron’s quivering reply.

“If that room isn’t clean before I come up there, you will have a conversation with my spoon.”

“But ma,” Ron whined. “It’s fine.”

“Shall I come up there and see?” Molly asked, walking up a few steps.

“No, ma’am,” Ron said quickly.

Molly nodded and walked back into the kitchen.

Arthur came home and went straight to the kitchen because he knew that’s where his lovely wife would be.

“I’m home,” Arthur announced when he stood in the kitchen doorway.

“Wonderful,” Molly said. “Dinner is almost ready, why don’t you go relax, and I’ll call you when it’s done.”

Arthur kissed Molly on the cheek. Ginny was helping her mum in the kitchen. Arthur walked over to her and kissed her on the head and left the kitchen.

“Oh, Arthur,” Molly called out. “What were the twins doing when you came in?”

“The twins being the twins,” Arthur answered.

Molly shrugged and went back to her work.

Fred and George have been working on a firework that would change into a dragon emitting lots of sparks and whistles. They’ve worked with several different mixes of powder, hoping to get the right combination.

This was their first test.

“Okay, this should be far enough away from the house,” George said.

“Set it against this,” Fred said, hovering a few rocks towards them.

“Alright, Gred,” George said.

“Ready when you are Forge,” Fred said.

George put the firework down, leaning it against the rock. Fred pulled out his wand to light it.

“5…4…3…2…”

Ron was in his room, finishing up. It wasn’t as messy as his mum claimed; there were only a few clothes on the floor. Not enough to get fussy about, but he didn’t want to take the chance and have to deal with his mum’s spoon. She welded a mean spoon when she was upset.

BOOM!

Ron went to his window. Being Ron’s room was at the top of the house, he could see more of the Burrow than any of the others.

There was a huge firework. Ron knew his brothers had been busy. They made the firework come out like a dragon. It was huge. Ron figured that it was the size of the house. Ron laughed to himself as he went back to cleaning his room.

The smile soon left as it felt like eels swimming around in his stomach. He was feeling odd. Ron didn’t know why, but he needed to get out of the room. He tried to fight the urge to leave as he didn’t want his mum to come up here and say that his room wasn’t clean. Ron’s hands started shaking. Beads of sweat were on his forehead. The feel of eels changed to the giant squid squirming around in his stomach. He had to get out of his room.

Arthur heard the bang from his room, he stepped out and heard Molly screaming. She obviously rushing out of the house. The twins, Arthur thought. Heading down the stairs, Arthur was stopped by a sound. It was the feet hitting the wooden stairs. Arthur didn’t get a chance to chastise his son because he ran past him, almost knocking Arthur to the floor.

Molly was out the door when she heard the blast. When she got to where her twins were, she saw Fred cradling his hand against his chest. Both boys had black soot on their faces. Molly got to Fred’s side and was on her knees, looking over her son’s hand.

Before Molly could even ask her first question, her youngest son rushed out of the house and barreled his way into Fred’s arms. Ron was almost straddling Fred’s lap; Ron’s arms tightly around Fred’s neck. Molly was shocked at Ron’s actions. Fred just opened his arms when he saw Ron coming and wrapped his arms around his brother. He was careful not to rub his burnt hand against Ron’s clothes. George, who was kneeling beside his twin, rubbed Ron’s back as to soothe his brother.

Arthur came outside and was surprised at what he was seeing. Usually, the twins and Ron were antagonizing each other, but now, they are comforting each other. It was the level of comfort that was intriguing to the patriarch of the family.

___000___000___000

The next morning, Harry woke up to someone banging on the door.

“Boy,” Petunia screeched. “Boy, get up. Make breakfast!”

Harry stretched in the bed.

It was all a dream, Harry thought. A wonderful dream. He was now back to reality.

Harry would have continued believing that if two things didn’t happen. Harry put his arms down, and his cover didn’t feel the same. He gripped the cloth and brought it to his face, and the smell just filled a calm in his heart he didn’t know was empty. His Professor. It wasn’t a dream.

Whining brought Harry out of his musing.

Harry looked over the end of the bed and saw a gigantic dog curled on the floor. Snuffles.

A huge smile broke across Harry’s face; it wasn’t a dream. It happened. Swinging his legs off the bed, Harry wrapped the robe around him before laying it on the bed, standing up.

“Snuffles,” Harry said. “Come on. It’s time to get up. I want to let you go, and then I got to make breakfast.”

Snuffles stretched and followed Harry out of the room. Their first stop was the bathroom. After Harry was finished, the boy made his trek down to the kitchen. He let Snuffles out to the back to take care of business, and Harry started on breakfast.

While Harry was cooking, Snuffles came back in and laid down behind Harry and kept watch. Harry placed the finished food on the table. He was about to walk away when Snuffles whined.

“What?” Harry asked the dog.

Snuffles put his front paws on the chair.

“I’m not allowed to eat,” Harry said, shrugging his shoulders.

Before Snuffles could react to that statement, Vernon and Dudley came downstairs.

“Out of the way, freak,” Dudley said, pushing Harry into the wall.

Snuffles growled, rushing towards the rotund boy. Dudley gave a high-pitched squeak, trying to get out of the range of the dog. Harry couldn’t help but laugh.

“I told you about that dog,” Vernon bellowed.

“Sorry, Uncle Vernon,” Harry said, still smiling. “What can I do? We’re together.”

Harry left before Vernon could respond to the boy. Harry and Sirius spent the day walking around the neighborhood. Harry liked that he was leisurely walking, not having to worry about anything.

When Harry and Snuffles were in a secluded part of the street, Snuffles would change back to Sirius.

Harry was worried that someone would recognize Sirius, but Sirius didn’t care. He was enjoying spending this time with his godson. They walked together and talked. Even though Sirius didn’t care, Harry didn’t want to take that chance, so he walked towards isolated parts of town. They talked about school, but when the conversation went to his life with his relatives, Harry didn’t answer them, or he would change the subject. Sirius didn’t push.

It was getting later in the day, and Harry was getting tired, so Sirius changed back into Snuffles, and they walked back to Number 4. When Harry walked in the door, Aunt Petunia started barking orders.

“Where have you been?” Petunia shrieked.

“Out,” Harry said.

“Why you little,” Petunia said, walking over to Harry. She raised her hand as if to slap him, but the growl from the dog changed her mind.

Trying to save face, Petunia barked, “Go make dinner,” pointing towards the kitchen

Harry smirked and walked into the kitchen, followed by Snuffles. While Harry was cooking, Vernon came home. Harry could hear his aunt and uncle talking in the hallway. Vernon stormed into the kitchen.

“Look, you little freak,” Vernon said, towering over Harry. “You have that dog attack, my wife.”

“I did not,” Harry said. “She was going to hit me, and Snuffles stopped her.”

Vernon fumed. His face was turning purple; he was so angry. No amount of money is worth this.

“I didn’t want you to come back. When you disappeared, those few days were the best days for the last 14 years. Now you’re back, and I must put up with your filth. I don’t care how much money we’re offered that dog,” pointing to Snuffles, “will not stay here.”

Money offered, Harry thought. Someone paid his relatives for him to come back.

The growl from Snuffles brought Harry out of his dark musing. He looked at Snuffles and saw Snuffles slowly creeping towards his uncle. Then it happened…

“AAAAHHHHH!” Vernon yelled.

Harry looked at Snuffles and back at Vernon, trying to hop around, trying to hold his posterior. When Vernon turned around, Harry saw that part of Vernon’s pants were ripped. Harry couldn’t help the snort to pass his lips, his hands covering his mouth to hold in the laugh.

Petunia came downstairs to see what the problem was, and she saw Vernon screaming.

“Vernon,” Petunia called. “What happened?”

“Get out of my house!” Vernon screamed. “You are not welcomed here!”

Harry looked at his Aunt and Uncle. As much as he wanted to grant their request, he knew he couldn’t.

“As much as I would like to leave this hellhole,” Harry said. “I can’t. Not until the start of school.”

Harry turned and walked up to his room. Snuffles followed. When Harry closed the door to his room, Snuffles changed to Sirius. The animagus waved his hand and put a silencing charm on the door. Harry turned to his godfather and burst out laughing. The sight of his uncle being bitten helped Harry to get out of those depressing thoughts of them being paid for Harry staying there.  

“That was amazing,” Harry said, smiling.

Sirius dipped his head in gratitude. But his proud look didn’t last long. There was something said downstairs that stuck with Sirius.

“Pronglet,” Sirius said. “What was your life like here?”

Harry sobered up and sat down on his bed. Absentmindedly, Harry pulled the cloak around his shoulders, wrapping it tightly around him.

“Don’t ask me, please,” Harry said, shrugging his shoulders.

“Fine,” Sirius said, waving his hand over the door.

Harry’s eyes were as huge as saucers. He jumped up from the bed, cutting Sirius off at the door.

“What are you going to do?” Harry asked. “You can’t be seen here.”

“I won’t,” Sirius said, smirking. “I’m hungry.”

Sirius stepped out of the room, cast a disillusionment charm over himself, and headed downstairs. He could hear the aunt and uncle talking in the sitting room. She was probably trying to kiss the fat lard’s booboo, wanting to make it better. Serves them right.

Sirius walked into the kitchen and started getting things together for Harry and himself. No need for both of them to starve. There was a knock on the front door that brought the house to silence. Sirius looked towards the door. Vernon limped to the door.

“What do you want?” Vernon growled, opening the door. “Do you have any…”

Vernon wasn’t able to finish that statement as a green light hit him directly in the center of his chest.

Sirius saw what happened. Food forgotten, Sirius apparated to Harry’s room. Sirius heard another curse as he left the kitchen.

Harry was waiting for Sirius by the door when he heard the knocking. Putting his ear to the door, Harry wanted to know who it was. It was late for someone to come calling.

Harry snuck out of his room, hiding behind the wall that looked down the stairs. He saw two hooded people standing in the doorway. Something within Harry wanted his Professor. He needed to be with his Professor. Seeing the green light come from their wand, Harry knew what happened. As silently as he could, Harry used his years of practice and carefully walked back into his room. Where was his Professor? Harry needed him. He was scared. Once he got the door closed, he heard another whisper. Harry held his breath, hoping that whoever was downstairs didn’t hear him on the stairs.

Harry backed up into the room, and he felt someone wrap their arm around his chest, and the other hand covered his mouth. Just before everything in Harry’s body squeezed through a tube, he saw a glow of green light under the door.

“Professor Snape,” Harry muffled behind the hand.

___000___000___000

Severus transfigured two plush chairs for Remus and himself. Severus refused to leave St. Mungo’s without Poppy and Minerva. Both witches were resting comfortably on their beds; Remus was sitting in his chair dozing. Severus couldn’t sleep; something was nagging within him that he couldn’t shake. There was fear building up in him. But this feeling was different. It wasn’t his fear, but the fear of someone else. Severus was about to get up and stretch his legs when an apparition pop sounded, and two extra people were in the room.

The sound of the pop alerted everyone in the room. Severus already had his wand out, prepared to defend his mother and aunt. He was shocked at who was standing there.

“What’s going on?” Severus asked, lowering his wand.

He didn’t get a chance to hear the answer as Harry pried himself out of Sirius’ arms and ran into Severus’ arms. Severus wrapped his arms around the child and could feel him shaking.

Remus walked over to Sirius.

“Padfoot,” Remus said. “What are you doing here?”

Sirius was just as shocked where he was as the people in the room.

“Sirius, what happened?” Remus asked again.

“I didn’t apparate here,” Sirius said. “I don’t know why I’m here.”

“You had to,” Severus said.

“I was apparating us to Grimmauld Place; I didn’t know you were here,” Sirius said.

Severus raised an eyebrow and looked down at the child in his arms. Harry tightened his hold around Severus.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3460