Unexpected Truce: Revision by mandancie
Summary: Help is found in the unlikeliest of places. I hope that you enjoy this updated version of my story. Some things will be the same as the original, but there will be subtle changes. This story is Alternate Universe. Severus mentors Harry story. The characters will be a little OOC.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Evil!Albus, Injured!Harry, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Character Bashing, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 39429 Read: 27557 Published: 03 Jan 2018 Updated: 04 Aug 2020
Chapter 16: The Burrow by mandancie

Severus’ breath was forced from his lungs from Harry colliding into him. He wrapped his arms around the child—many questions needed to be answered. But the state Harry was in, he wasn’t going to answer them. So, Severus went to the other person who wasn’t supposed to be here.

“What happened?” Severus heard Remus asked.

“I didn’t apparate here,” Sirius said. “I don’t know why I’m here.”

“You had to,” Severus cut in.

“I didn’t know you were here; I was heading to Grimmauld Place. How could I know?” Sirius asked. There was no heat or contempt in Sirius’ voice.

Sirius was right. As much as Severus hated to admit it, there was no way the mutt would know where they were. Harry grip tightening around Severus, bringing him out of his thoughts. Severus lowered his head until he was close to the child’s ear.

“Harry,” Severus whispered. “Harry, I need you to calm down. I need to know what happened?”

Severus could feel Harry saying something, but he couldn’t hear the boy. Severus continued to rub gentle circles on the child’s back.

“Come now, child,” Severus soothed. “Step back a little, so I can hear you.”

Severus felt Harry shake his head.

“You know you’re safe here,” Severus said.

Harry took a deep breath, still gripping Severus’ clothes, he lifted his head and looked at Severus. Severus could see the tears and fear in Harry’s eyes.

“What happened?” Severus asked again.

“Sirius went downstairs to grab some of the food that I made.”

Severus glared at Sirius. How could he leave Harry alone? Putting his attention back on Harry, he looked back down.

“I heard someone knock on the door. I snuck out of my room to see who it was. I saw two hooded figures at the door,” Harry said, laying his head on Severus’ chest.

Sirius continued. “While I was getting our food, the whale of an uncle walked to the door. I saw the spell before I heard it cast. I dropped the food and apparated to Harry’s room. I saw him back up away from the door, so I grabbed hold of him and thought I was apparating back to Grimmauld.”

“You didn’t see their faces?” Remus asked.

“No,” Sirius said, shaking his head. “But I have a suspicion on who I heard speak. But it’s impossible.”

“Why?” Minerva asked, finally speaking since Sirius and Harry popped in.

Sirius was a little stunned that he didn’t notice that both Minerva and Poppy were lying in a bed in the room. Shaking his head to answer her question, “They shouldn’t be out of Azkaban.”

“Who?” Minerva asked.

“My cousin,” Sirius said.

___000___000___000

Albus was in his sitting room, relaxing. Fawkes was soothing the Headmaster with his songs. Albus took a deep breath, letting the air out slowly; it was a wonderful evening.

A ringing brought Albus out of his relaxation. Albus walked over to his shelves of trinkets and saw that one was spinning. When he reached out for it, the small porcelain doe shattered. His natural rosy color left the old man’s face. Albus rushed to his fireplace, throwing powder into the fire and traveling to Arabella’s house.

Stepping out of the fireplace, Albus didn’t wait to see if he alerted the elderly woman; he rushed out of the house and across the street.

The outside of the house appeared fine. Albus didn’t like what he was seeing. The house was quiet. Albus walked to the door and noticed that the door was unlocked. He walked into the house and saw a body lying prone on the floor. His mind quickly drew back to almost fourteen years ago, seeing James Potter's lifeless body on the floor.

Laying on the floor was the male Dursley. Albus walked past the first body, continuing through the house. The door leading to the living room was ajar. Albus could see a pair of feet inside the room. Opening the door wider, Albus saw Petunia lying on the floor. Her eyes were frozen in fear, but there was no life in her eyes.

Albus shook his head. How could this happen? He waved his hand, thought the room, and could feel a magical signature in the house. The question was, who did this. Albus’ blood warding was to keep the family safe from being hurt or killed from an outside source.

A thought pass through his mind: Harry. Where was Harry?

Albus left the sitting room and went to the next room at the end of the hall: the kitchen. It was empty. There was still food on the table, meaning whoever came attacked them before they sat down to eat dinner.

Albus stepped back into the hallway and towards the steps. Going up, Albus silently prayed that Harry didn’t have the same fate as his relatives. Checking all the rooms, Albus was able to breathe a sigh of relief. All the rooms were empty.

“Mum.”

Hearing the call, Albus went to the stairs to see who it was. A shorter version of the male Dursley walked in the door. Albus waved his wand before the boy could truly comprehend what he was seeing. He cast a sleeping charm on the child and softly lowered the boy to the floor.

Seeing there was nothing Albus could do within the house, he apparated out of No. 4 Privet Drive.

___000___000___000

It’s been a few days since the dragon firecracker incident. Fred’s hand was cured once Molly was able to get to her son. It took some heavy coaxing to get Ron to let his brother go. And it took George to be the one to get Ron to eventually move.

That act alone made Arthur extremely curious about his sons. He knew that his twins were close. Rarely did you see one without the other. It was the closeness that was between the twins and his youngest son. They were two years apart, but witnessing what happened puzzled Arthur, and he wanted to know why.

After looking through a few books he had, he believed he found the solution. There was just one thing he needed to test to see if it were true. Arthur went into his workroom shed in the back of the house. Once he got everything he needed, he went back to the house.

Inside, Ron was sitting on the sofa reading one of the books Charlie sent home.

“Ron,” Arthur called. “Can you come to my office?”

Ron looked up at his dad and followed him without question.

“Close the door, son,” Arthur said, sitting behind his desk.

“What’s going on, dad?” Ron asked.

“How do you feel about your siblings?”

Ron was shocked by the unusual question. He didn’t feel any kind of way with his siblings. His brothers picked on his since he was the youngest, but there was no hostility. Bill was cool. He would take him places whenever he came home—the same with Charlie. Charlie also sent him something extra when he sent things back. Percy was Percy. He stayed in his room most of the time, only coming down for meals. While they were in school, Percy acted like he was the parent, trying to tell us what to do. Ginny was spoiled by everyone. She was the baby and the only girl.

“I feel fine about them,” Ron said skeptically, not knowing where his dad was going with this.

“Do you think that one looks out for you more than the others?” Arthur asked, not knowing or caring about his son’s inner thoughts.

Ron shrugged his shoulders. “Why are you asking me this?”

Arthur didn’t answer the question. He just asked another one. “How do you feel about Charlie?”

“Uh, he’s fine. He sends me things from the sanctuary.”

“Percy?”

“Percy is Percy,” Ron said, smirking.

Arthur nodded.

“What about Fred and George?” Arthur looked intently at his son.

Ron shrugged his shoulders. Ron didn’t have a clear answer to that; they were his brothers. They loved to play jokes on him, but they also looked out for him, which recently included Harry.

“Well, let me ask you this,” Arthur said. “What were you doing?”

“Mum told me to clean up my room,” Ron said.

“Did you see what happened outside?”

“No,” Ron said, shaking his head. “But, I did see the dragon.”

“What were you feeling?” Arthur asked.

“I laughed,” Ron said, remembering the feeling of seeing one of his brothers’ products.

“And after?”

“I don’t know,” Ron shrugged. “I started to feel nauseated.”

“What made you leave your room?” Arthur asked, folding his hands on top of his desk.

“I don’t know,” Ron said, his voice getting higher. “I didn’t feel anything.”

“What about when you saw Fred?”

“Dad, what do you want me to say?” Ron asked exasperated. “Fred was hurt. He could have been badly hurt. He could have lost his hand.”

Arthur noticed his son’s anger growing. Usually, he would stop his children from doing this very thing, as it was disrespectful. Still, Arthur needed to know for sure what was going on with his sons.

“And when you saw that Fred was indeed fine and sitting up,” Arthur started.

“He was still hurt!” Ron yelled.

Again, Arthur didn’t correct his son. He wanted to see what would happen. And a part of his answer came into his office door.

“Ron.”

Arthur’s twins came into his office, calling out his youngest son’s name. What happened next brought a smirk to the father’s face.

Hearing his name, Ron turned around and rushed into George’s arms. This time it was Fred rubbing soothing circles on Ron’s back.

“By all means, sons,” Arthur said, waving his hand. “Come in a join us. I feel this conversation pertains to you as well.”

___000___000___000

Dolores was in her office getting much-needed paperwork finished before she got herself ready to move into Hogwarts. There was a knock on her door. She waved her hand, opening the door.

“Yes,” Dolores said, not even looking up from what she was doing.

“There was an issue.”

Dolores raised her head and saw the man standing before her desk.

“What?” Dolores asked.

“The Dursleys are dead,” he said.

“Dead?” Dolores snapped. “How? What did you do?”

“I was going to do what we discussed,” he said. “But when I got there, the two adult muggles were dead. I searched the entire place. Potter wasn’t there either.”

“This is not good,” Umbridge exclaimed, slamming her hand on her desk. “Someone is helping that boy. This is not going the way I want.”

“I can try and search for the boy,” he offered.

“No,” Dolores said, shaking her head. “Something else probably will happen, and he’ll get help then. I’ll have to wait until I get to Hogwarts. Being his teacher, I will be able to get him alone.”

___000___000___000

“What in Merlin’s name did you do?” Albus yelled.

Albus stormed into Aberforth’s office behind the bar.

“What are you talking about?” Aberforth asked, looking up at his irate brother.

“You ordered them to kill the Dursleys,” Albus complained.

“What?” Aberforth replied, his brows were knitted together. “I didn’t order anyone to do anything.”

“Then explain to me why they are dead,” Albus scolded. “Hagrid, Minerva, and I were the only ones who knew where Harry lived. You only knew it because I told you.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” Aberforth explained. “The last order I gave was for them to get to Poppy Pomfrey. I haven’t seen them since.”

Albus sat down in the chair across from Aberforth’s desk.

After a moment of tensed silence, Aberforth asked, “Was Harry there?”

“No,” Albus shook his head. “I didn’t see him.”

“Maybe you can ask him and find out what happened,” Aberforth suggested.

“Yeah,” Albus said. “I could, but I don’t know where he is currently.”

Aberforth put his attention back to the paperwork that he was doing when Albus rushed in.

“I’m sure you’ll think of something. Potter can’t be far.”

Albus sighed and left his brother’s office. Heading back to the school, Albus needed to calm down and think about this. His argument that Harry would be fine with his relatives is null and void since they are dead. He didn’t want Harry to get close to Severus. Albus had his own plans for the Slytherin, and having the Boy-Who-Lived by his side was not apart of it.

___000___000___000

After a while, Severus finally got Harry to calm down enough to ease up on the grip he had on the Potions Master. Severus transfigured his chair to a small cot and had Harry lay on it. After more coaxing and promising that he wouldn’t leave, Severus got Harry lying down, covering him with his robe that Harry still had clutched in his hand.

When Minerva saw that Harry was finally asleep, or at least resting, she spoke up.

“So, what are we going to do? Sirius can’t stay here. Neither can Harry.”

“I know,” Severus said, sighing.

“I can take him back to Grimmauld Place,” Sirius suggested. “That’s where I was originally planning on going.”

“I don’t think that would be a good place,” Severus said.

“Why?” Sirius said harshly. “You think he’s too good to stay with me? You forget, I took care of Harry. And he’s my godson.”

“Sirius now is not the time for this,” Remus said, putting his hand on Sirius’ shoulder.

“I wasn’t saying that mutt,” Severus snarled. “I just don’t think that Grimmauld Place is the safest place for either of you.”

“Why then?” Sirius said. His anger deflating. “My home is under the Fedilus Charm; it’s protected.”

“And Harry’s home was under Blood wards,” Severus said. “Keeping Death Eaters and anyone that wants to do the family harm away.”

“That’s why you didn’t take Harry?” Remus mused.

“Correct,” Severus nodded. “We need someplace safe.”

“How about the Burrow?”

All the adults turned and saw that Harry was sitting up on the cot.

“Harry…” Severus started.

“That sounds like a perfect idea,” Minerva said, cutting her adopted son off.

“I don’t think imposing on the Weasleys is the best thing,” Severus said.

“I doubt Molly and Arthur would mind,” Minerva said. She reached for her wand and cast a Patronus. After whispering in her Patronus, the corporal cat left out of the window. “We’ll wait for their response, and then you will escort Sirius and Harry to the Burrow and stay there.”

“I’m sorry,” Severus said. “I’m not leaving your side.”

“Yes, you will,” Minerva said. “Sirius can’t stay here, and it seems that Harry will not leave your side.”

“He will be fine once he’s with his friends,” Severus said. “And who will protect you?”

“Remus is here,” Minerva said. “And is very capable.”

Severus was about to complain more when Minerva’s Patronus came back, whispering in her ear.

“Wonderful,” Minerva said. “The Weasleys are expecting you. You should go.”

“I’m not leaving you alone,” Severus said again. “I don’t know why you were taken or who took you.”

Minerva sighed. “Severus, come here.”

Severus walked over to the side of the bed. She beckoned him to come closer. She pulled her adopted son into her arms and whispered in his ear.

“Listen to me,” Minerva whispered. “As long as I am here, and under the watchful eye of Remus, we will be fine. Once I’m released, I will come to the Burrow. I will be fine.”

Minerva pushed Severus back so that she could get a good look at her son. “Go with Sirius, and the two of you protect Harry.”

Severus didn’t want to leave, but relenting, he dipped his head in a nod and stood up. The Potions Master walked over to Black and Harry. Severus and Sirius gripped each other’s elbow, and Harry was pulled into Severus’ arm. Seconds later, the three of them were gone.

___000___000___000

The small group of wizards landed on the outskirts of the Burrow. The three of them walked towards the house. Harry lingered behind. He knew that his Professor was upset, and he figured that it was his fault. He couldn’t help it that he preferred to stay with Snape. Harry didn’t understand it. It was how he felt.

Severus looked back and saw that Harry was behind them. He walked back to the boy.

“What’s wrong?” Severus asked.

“What’s wrong with me?” Harry asked, tightening the black cloak around him.

“There is nothing wrong,” Severus replied. “Why do you think something is wrong?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders. He didn’t know how to explain it because he didn’t really know himself. When those hooded people came into the house, all Harry thought about was Professor Snape. Even though he knew that Sirius was downstairs getting food, Harry still wanted Professor Snape.

“Everything alright?” Sirius asked, walking over to Severus and Harry.

“Yeah,” Harry said quietly.

Harry walked away from Severus and Sirius and started back towards the Burrow. They got to the door and was met by a hoard of redheads. When Harry saw Ron, he started smiling.

“I’m glad you’re here,” Ron said, wrapping his arm around Harry's shoulder.

“Yeah, Harry,” Fred said

“At least we don’t…” George said, standing on the other side of Harry.

“Have to…” Fred said, slightly pushing Harry towards the door.

“Rescue you,” George said, finishing the sentence.

Harry always loved it when Fred and George talked to him like that. Outside Ron, Harry enjoyed spending time with the twins. They watched over him when there was a rouge bludger after him. They gave him the map that led him to realize that Peter Pettigrew was still alive. And last year, when Ron was acting like a jerk, the twins kept him company.

Arthur walked over to Sirius and Severus.

“Professor Snape,” Arthur greeted.

“Mr. Weasley. Thank you for allowing us a place to stay.”

“Now, none of that,” Arthur said, welcoming the two black haired wizards into his house. “It is our honor. Come in. Molly is making dinner.”

They walked into the house. The Burrow was quiet.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3460