Unexpected Truce: Revision by mandancie
Summary: Help is found in the unlikeliest of places. I hope that you enjoy this updated version of my story. Some things will be the same as the original, but there will be subtle changes. This story is Alternate Universe. Severus mentors Harry story. The characters will be a little OOC.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Evil!Albus, Injured!Harry, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Character Bashing, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 39429 Read: 27569 Published: 03 Jan 2018 Updated: 04 Aug 2020
Chapter 2: Learning the Truth by mandancie
Author's Notes:
I waited until this chapter to post because Harry and Severus didn't see or talk to each other until now.

Why did he have to sacrifice his time? Wasn't his time precious? Severus sighed as he made his way down the long street of Privet Drive, looking for Number Four. He sneered as he walked down the road. Each house was almost the same. The lawns were immaculate. When he got to Number Four, walking up to the door, he knocked.

No answer.

Severus knocked again with a little more force; still no answer.

Closing his eyes, he tried to reign in his temper. A complete waste of time.

"Excuse me," a voice said, bringing Severus out of his musings. "If you're looking for the Dursley's the Missus stepped out for a moment."

The woman walked away before Severus could respond. His anger towards the entire situation boiled to a whole new level. A wild goose chase.

Oh, he could not wait for the start of term, Severus thought, angrily. Mr. Potter will genuinely learn why he was the most hated Professor in the school.

He wanted to return to Hogwarts and let Minerva know that giving Potter her coin was a dunderhead move, which she should be above such stupidity.

When he got back to where he started, Severus decided he wanted to walk a little bit before going back to the school. His afternoon was already ruined with having to come to this place. And he felt that the walk would calm him down a little, but that wasn't in the cards either.

Severus walked towards an open field. Looking around, he saw that he was at a neighborhood park. His mind went back in time to the first time he saw a green-eyed, red-haired girl. The most beautiful girl he'd ever laid eyes on. His reminiscing was cut short when he heard a scream. Looking around trying to find out where it came from, he saw a group of boys chasing after a small, skinny...

Severus sighed. He recognized Potter anywhere. Shaking his head, he guessed the coin was right. Severus figured that Potter probably started something that he could not finish and not having his entourage to back him up, he was defenseless.

Just how arrogant could Potter be, Severus thought as he followed in a more sedate manner. Let Potter see just how it is to be on the receiving end of torment. After a few moments of observing Potter's tormentors, he saw them coming back towards him, but Potter was nowhere with them.

Trying not to draw attention to himself, Severus stood facing the street as the boys walked past behind him.

"Ha," Piers said. "Did you see his face when we left him alone."

"Yeah," Donovan said. "Maybe next time he'll take our advice and run."

The boys continued down the street not paying any attention to the tall figure standing on the curb, dressed in black.

Severus turned and watched the boys as they passed him. As much as he believed that Potter deserved to get taken down a peg or two, there was something in the way those boys were talking that didn't sit well with the Potions Master. Instead of following those boys, Severus decided to go in the direction from where they came, hoping to run into the Golden Boy, himself.

As he continued walking, Severus felt it before he saw it.

"That's impossible," Severus murmured, quickening his steps.

The only reason he would be feeling this was because a dementor was coming. Why would a dementor be in a muggle town, was beyond him. He remembered how they reacted to Potter, so he knew he had to find him quickly.

_0000_0000_0000

"Expecto Patronum!"

A silvery light came from its source, looming out before taking its shape. The doe pranced around before heading towards its target. The dementor hissed, dropping its prey in a non-glorified heap. The silvery Patronus did its job and chased the dementor away.

Once the dementors were gone, the silvery doe walked over to the teenage boy, poking her muzzle into the child's hair before disappearing.

Severus rushed over to the child, falling on his knees beside the boy. Harry landed on his side. Severus could see the bloodied nose and the black eyes. Looking down the child's prone form, he saw two of his fingers on one of his hands turning purple. If he had to guess, they were either jammed or worse broken. This did not look like right.

"Potter," Severus said softly, cupping the boy's bruised face. "Can you hear me?" When he got no response, he tried again. "Potter."

Looking around, he knew that he could treat the boy for some of his injuries, though he could not do it here. He needed somewhere safe and secluded.

Pulling off his jacket, after glancing around to see that no one was there, he silently transfigured it to a blanket, so that he could wrap Potter in. After making sure that the boy was securely wrapped, he lifted the boy only to receive another shock.

"Did you even eat this summer?" Severus asked the unconscious boy in his arms.

He was entirely too thin. Even though Severus figured he could carry Potter with no problem, he didn't know how long it would be before he would have to put his down so casting a slight featherweight charm on the boy and then a disillusionment over the both of them, Severus walked out of the tunnel.

The Potions Master debated as he walked if he should go straight to Hogwarts, but he didn't have time to thoroughly think about leaving as Harry began to squirm. If he weren't wrapped up, Severus would have lost his grip on the boy.

A thought crossed the professor's mind of breaking into someone's home just to use their couch and tend to the boy before apparating back to Hogwarts but quickly dismissed the idea that something could go wrong. Then he thought of it. Slightly shaking his head at himself for not thinking of it sooner, he headed towards a member of the Order's house.

_0000_0000_0000

Arabella Figg was sitting in her living room, working on her cross stitching when she heard a knock on the door. Well, it wasn't a true knock, but more of a pounding. Getting up and walking towards the door, she looked out the side window and at first didn't see anyone. Severus dropped the disillusionment charm over himself and Potter. Arabella gasped as she rushed to open the door to let her visitors inside.

"Severus," Arabella gasped as she opened the door. "What happened?"

Severus didn't answer he just came inside and headed for the living room. After closing the door, Arabella followed Severus and saw him laying his bundle on the sofa and kneeling beside it.

"Severus," she called again. "What happ..." she stopped mid-word and gasped.

Severus worked on removing the transfigured blanket from around Harry so that he could do a proper diagnostic scan. Once he got the boy free, he pulled out his wand and waved it at the child.

Harry James Potter

Age: 14

Birth-date: July 31, 1980

Diagnosis

Skeletal

Broken Nose

Dislocated Shoulder

Cracked Ribs

Three Broken Fingers

Tissue

Slight fluid in right lung

Bruising of left lung

Contusions

Neurological

Minor Nerve Damage (left side) exposure to Cruciatus

Diagnostic done by

Severus Tobias Snape-McGonagall

Potions Master and Certified Asst. Healer

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Once the parchment dropped into his hands, Severus couldn't believe what he was seeing. It was impossible. There should not be these many injuries on the boy. He heard a gasped from behind him. Arabella must have looked over his shoulder and read the parchment as well.

"Are you connected to the Network?" Severus asked. His voice was low as he was still trying to come to grips with what he just read.

She didn't answer him, as she was, too, in shock at the state of how Harry looked.

"Arabella," Severus called out with more force, looking up at the woman. "Are you connected to the Floo Network?"

"Uh, yes," Arabella breathed, nodding.

Severus got up from where he was kneeling and walked over to the fireplace. Pulling out his wand he cast Incendio in the hearth and then pulling a small pouch from his pocket, and throwing some powder into the flames. The orange flames quickly turned the desired green. Kneeling down once again, Severus called out.

"Minerva!"

After a few moments, Minerva's head shown through the flames.

"Severus, are you on your way back?" Minerva asked when she saw his face. "I told you it wouldn't be that bad. Come through; we'll have tea."

"Mother," Severus said, cutting her off. "I'm at Arabella's. You have to come here."

"What's happened?" Minerva asked, seeing the distress on her adopted son's face.

"Come," was all Severus said, before removing his head from the flames. Minerva looked around for a second before standing up and walking through the still opened floo flames. Stepping through, she was met by Severus, who helped her out of the hearth.

"Arabella," Minerva said by way of greeting when she saw Arabella was sitting in her cozy chair in the corner.

Arabella didn't respond to her friend's greeting as she was still in shock at the state of Harry.

"Severus," Minerva said. "What's going on?"

Severus escorted his adopted mother towards the sofa. She gasped at who she saw laying on it.

"Harry," Minerva said, covering her mouth. "What has happened? Who's done this?"

Severus shook his head. "I saw him running from some boys, but I don't know." Handing his mother the diagnostic parchment.

"Boys?" Minerva asked. "Do you think he was jumped?"

"I haven't the slightest," Severus answered. "I couldn't get to him in time. I had to deal with some rouge dementors."

Minerva stopped reading the parchment and looked up at Severus, shocked at what he just said.

"Dementors? Here?"

Severus nodded.

They were silent a moment as Minerva finished reading over the parchment.

"We need to get him to Poppy."

Severus bent over to re-bundle up Potter the way he had him before. Harry started to moan. When Severus lifted the child, Harry opened his eyes. He and Severus looked at each other.

"Professor," Harry slurred.

"Rest, Potter," Severus said, gently.

Minerva removed Harry's glasses, that were broken, from his face. Severus adjusted the boy so that he would be able to protect Harry from the flames and the jarring nature of traveling by Floo. With Harry's head tucked into the crook of Severus' neck, Severus had an arm wrapped around the child's shoulders and the other under his knees, cradling the child against his chest.

"I'll be there as soon as I can," Minerva said, putting the parchment in Severus' pocket.

The two Hogwarts Professors walked over to the hearth. Minerva threw a pinch of powder into the flames. Once it turned green, Severus stepped into the flames and called out. "Hogwarts Infirmary."

Once they were gone, Minerva turned to who she considered a friend. She had questions that she needed answers.

Arabella, still hadn't moved from her cozy chair, was sitting there with tears streaming down her face. Minerva pulled out her handkerchief and held it out towards her. Arabella looked up at her friend and slowly took the proffered cloth and dabbed her eyes. Minerva sat down on the sofa that Harry was just on.

"Arabella."

"Oh, Minerva," she whispered. "I just can't believe it."

"You seemed genuinely shocked by what you've just witnessed."

"Oh, I am."

Minerva nodded in understanding.

"Then maybe you can help me out with something," Minerva said. Her voice void of emotions.

"If I can," Arabella said, straightening in her chair, trying to compose herself.

"Why is it a shock to you?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"When Severus mentioned about the boys chasing Harry, that didn't shock you. It was almost like a natural occurrence. What shocked you, was the damage."

"Now, Minerva -"

"Is Harry being bullied?" Minerva asked, cutting off what her friend was going to say. "If he is, then why is this the first I'm hearing about it?"

Arabella sat across from her friend, her mouth opened like a fish out of water, her lips moving up and down but no sound coming from her. Minerva raised her eyebrow in expectancy waiting for her friend to answer.

"With all these cats roaming around here," Minerva said, looking around the room. "One of them must have your tongue. Shall I help you find it?"

"Minerva, please," Arabella croaked.

"Was Harry being bullied? For how long? And most importantly, why did you not inform me?"

"Minerva, I was … I just wanted …"

"What?" Minerva's asked, her anger with the woman sitting across from her now coming through. "What was it you wanted? What was the reason behind you getting this house, Arabella?" Minerva asked quickly changing the subject.

"A favor," Arabella squeaked.

"And what was that favor?"

Arabella gulped, licking her lips nervously. "To—to watch over Harry."

"And?" Minerva prompted.

"If something were to happen to contact you."

"Oh," Minerva said, sitting back on the sofa. "So you do remember. Why haven't you?"

"Please understand," Arabella sniveled. "I was just doing what I was asked."

"No," Minerva shook her head. "That doesn't make sense. I'm not understanding. You just said you remembered what I asked you to do, but now you're telling me that you were doing what you were asked. That's impossible if Harry looks like that."

"Albus."

"What about him?"

"He came to me after I moved in," Arabella tried to explain. "He told me that he wanted me to keep an eye on the house. That's what I was doing."

Minerva narrowed her eyes at her "friend."

"Coward," Minerva barked. Her anger was reaching a whole new level. She didn't know if she should truly take it out on this woman sitting across from her, or that senile old coot. The more she thought about it, the more she wanted to leave this house and go and strangle that man with his beard. "I asked you to watch Harry. Only Harry. Albus had his Blood Wards over the house. There was no need to watch the house."

"I'm sorry, Minerva."

"It is not me you need to apologize to." For the first time, Minerva felt disgusted. "I trusted you."

"I'm so sorry," Arabella cried.

_0000_0000_0000_0000

Severus stepped out of the hearth. During the summer the Infirmary was peacefully quiet. He knew that Poppy usually stayed at the castle and he hoped she was in her office as she usually would take mid-day walks across the property.

"Poppy," Severus called out.

Stepping out of her office, "Severus, what's the matter?" Seeing Severus lowering something on one of the beds, she quickly got to his side. "What's happened?" When Severus moved from hovering over the child, she gasped, "Harry."

Severus pulled the parchment out of his pocket and handed over to the medi-witch. Poppy's complexion paled as she read everything. Poppy left his side to gather the much-needed potions and salves. Severus began the chore of removing the blanket from around the child. As he removed the blanket, Severus honestly looked at the child laying there. Carefully lifting up Harry's wrist in his hand he felt how genuinely delicate and fragile and small that limb was. All those years, he only saw James Potter. Never once did he see a child. Never once did he think that this child would struggle. Harry Potter was supposed to be pampered, living a life of luxury. Slowly lowering the child's arm back to his chest, Severus got a good look at his clothes as he began to remove them. They seemed to be well worn, looking at his waist he could see that the trousers he had on were actually too big.

Poppy arrived back to the side of the bed. A tray of assorted potions and salves was floating behind her. She began to help Severus strip the child of the bloodied clothes so that they could work on the child.

"I want to deal with the dislocated shoulder first," Poppy said, bringing Severus out of his thoughts. "Sit him up," she ordered. "Sit behind him and hold him firmly. I will pop his arm back into place."

Severus did as he was asked. Sitting on the bed with Potter leaning against his chest, Severus wrapped his arm around the boy's good arm across Harry's chest. His other hand, Severus cupped the boy's forehead, leaning the child's head on his shoulder, holding his head in place.

Poppy got on the other side of the bed and grabbed hold of Harry's arm. With a firm grip on his wrist and elbow, "Alright, try to hold him as still as possible."

Severus nodded that he was ready. Poppy and Severus looked at each other, both mentally counting.

"I'm so sorry, Harry," Poppy whispered.

She gave the arm a firm yank. There was a resounding pop. Harry's eyes popped open, wide. Severus could feel the child take a deep breath, as much as he could with the cracked ribs, and screamed. Severus tightened his hold on Harry as he tried to move away, whispering soothing words to the child, slightly rocking the child.

"Calm, Harry. It's okay. It's over. You're alright. You're fine."

Harry's shoulders shook as tears streamed down his face. Poppy instantly got to Harry's side, and after prodding his shoulder to make sure it was back in place, she got a triangle wrap and made a sling tying the knot over his other shoulder.

"Lay him down, Severus, and will get started on the rest."

Severus didn't move. He continued to rock Harry until he felt the child's breathing calm down
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3460