Unexpected Truce: Revision by mandancie
Summary: Help is found in the unlikeliest of places. I hope that you enjoy this updated version of my story. Some things will be the same as the original, but there will be subtle changes. This story is Alternate Universe. Severus mentors Harry story. The characters will be a little OOC.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Evil!Albus, Injured!Harry, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Character Bashing, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 39429 Read: 27557 Published: 03 Jan 2018 Updated: 04 Aug 2020
Chapter 6: Unpleasant Conversations Cont by mandancie

After leaving Albus’ office, Minerva was still upset. She pleaded with Albus not to leave Harry with those muggles. “They are the worse sort of muggles.” She walked into her chambers. She looked at the papers that were still on her desk. Looking at them, she couldn’t even feel that she could even continue. Her mind was in the past. She remembered how it was when she found Severus. It was so long ago, but right now, it feels like it was only yesterday.

"Mr. Snape."

Severus put his head down. He really didn't want to talk. Not now. He decided to act like he didn't hear his name being called.

"Severus Snape," Minerva said. "You will stop right now and face me." Her voice was low but stern.

Severus took a shaky breath and turned and faced his Professor. When he turned and faced his professor, he heard her gasp. His ears began to burn with embarrassment. She was the last person that he wanted to see him like this. He knew he looked bad. His dad did not care where he hit him, so his face was bruised, badly.

Minerva knew when she didn't see Severus walk in with the others that it was worse than she feared. She had warned Albus that he should not return to his father over the summer, but as always, Albus would not listen. She walked up to the boy who had stolen her heart. She always worried about Severus. She didn't like that he was a loner. She was happy that he and Lily were at least friends.

"Severus," Minerva's voice was much softer. "Come, let's let Poppy look you over."

"Please," Severus begged. "Just let me do it myself. I don't want anyone else to see."

Minerva walked up to Severus and put her arms around his shoulders and brought him to an embrace. Severus gasped in pain but laid his head on Minerva’s shoulder. Minerva heard Severus gasp and lightened her hold on him. In her heart, she wanted to squeeze him tightly so he would know that he was not alone.

As much pain as he was in, and as much as he didn't feel that he deserved her care, right now, he could care less. He missed Minnie this past summer. Minnie, Severus could call her that since his second year, but only when they were alone. Oh, did he miss these hugs. Minerva just stood there and held Severus for as long as he needed it. After a minute, Minerva held Severus out at arm’s length. With one hand still on his shoulder, Minerva cupped Severus' cheek softly and lifted it so that he was now looking at her.

"Severus," Minerva said. "It will be fine. I promise."

With great trepidation, Severus allowed himself to be led to the Infirmary. Walking all the way there seemed to take no time at all. Severus did not want to face the medi-witch. He just wanted to heal himself and forget that this summer ever happened. The last thing he wanted was for her to run a diagnostic on him, which he knew she was going to do.

They walked into the Infirmary, and Minerva led Severus to the far bed at the end of the hospital wing.

"Poppy," Minerva called out. She felt Severus tense up. She gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze. They got to the bed, and she sat Severus down on the bed. Not once did Severus look up. He was too ashamed.

Poppy walked out of her office when Severus and Minerva were walking to the end of the wing. When he sat down, she was already there with her wand out.

Minerva sat down in one of her chairs and looked at the flames. Never did she want to see another child go through what her son went through. Now it seems that history is repeating itself.

“Oh, Harry,” Minerva sighed.

___000___000___000___000

Albus walked down to the dungeon. His feelings towards his potions master were dicey at best. Deep down he didn’t truly trust Severus. He has done too many awful things. But Albus is determined to get Severus to see his point of view.

Opening the door to the potion’s lab, Albus walked in.

Severus was working on a more aggressive version of the pain reliever for Potter. He knew Harry was going to be in pain for a while. He was having to regrow everything in his hand as well as the pain of popping his shoulder back in place. Severus could still hear the popping noise in his head.

Shaking his head, he rid himself of that sound so that he could concentrate on what he was doing. He heard the door open. His hands froze on the dicing of the monkshood.

“Severus,” Albus said.

Severus closed his eyes, lowered his knife, but did not turn towards the Headmaster.

Not waiting for Severus to acknowledge him, Albus continued. “I heard you took a trip to Little Whining.”

Severus said nothing.

“You went to see about Harry,” Albus said, leaning against the table, facing the door, next to Severus.

Severus side-glanced Albus. “I was asked by Minerva to check on Harry.”

“I see,” Albus replied. “And what gave you the right to take him from his family?”

Severus turned to face Albus. “He was badly beaten. He was attacked by two Dementors.”

“Dementors? Absurd,” Albus said.

“I had to cast them away,” Severus said. “When I got to Harry, he was unconscious.”

“Harry?” Albus asked. “What’s changed?”

“Nothing,” Severus said quickly.

“Calling him Harry, I think it has,” Albus said.

“Nothing’s changed,” Severus said, turning back to preparing the ingredient in front of him.

“Well,” Albus said, stepping away from the table. “If nothing’s changed, then take Harry back to his relatives. He needs to stay with them for at least a month to keep the blood wards intact.”

Severus turned and looked at the Headmaster.

“Harry cannot stay here.”

Albus walked to the door. Severus sighed.

“Do not disappoint me, Severus. I’d hate to have to expose you.”

Albus walked out of the lab. Severus looked down at the potion he was working on.

His past. His past was coming back to haunt him. He was so stupid to do it. Severus hated that the Headmaster had this over him. He wished he was strong enough to stand up to the Headmaster. But he couldn’t. He was a coward.

Harry needed this potion, so he went back to it. Harry. How could he let himself slip like that? He couldn’t understand why his feeling towards Potter was changing.  

There was a noise coming from his quarters. He knew it was either his mother or Poppy. He loved both of those women. They showed him love when no one else did. They took care of him when he was at his worst.

Poppy walked into the lab.

“Severus,” Poppy said once she walked in. “How’s it coming?”

“I should be finished in a bit. I’ll send it up when I’m done.” Severus said, putting the last ingredient in the cauldron and stirring. Once he stirred the correct amount, he pulled the stirrer out and laid it on the table.

Poppy watched Severus and then walked over to him.

“Severus,” Poppy said, putting her hand on his shoulder. “What’s wrong?”

Severus turned and looked at Poppy.

“How can you tell something’s wrong?”

“You can’t hide anything from me, Severus Tobias,” Poppy said, smirking.

“You worry too much,” Severus said, walking over to Poppy and kissing her on her cheek.

“Well, you give me a lot to worry about,” Poppy said, looping her arm with Severus. “How much longer on the potion?”

“It has to cool before I can put them in phials,” Severus said. “Let’s have some tea.”

“We’ll go to your mother,” Poppy said. “She left out of the Infirmary and didn’t come back. I’m assuming Albus said something that upset her.”

Severus said nothing.

The two of them walked to the fireplace in Severus’ chambers and flooed to Minerva’s chambers. Minerva was pacing back and forth.

“I take it he’s pissed you off,” Poppy said, stepping away from Severus.

“Albus is a fool,” Minerva said, shaking her head. “He doesn’t see the damage it is causing Harry keeping him in that situation. It’s history repeating itself.”

“Mother, I was never this bad,” Severus said, sitting down in one of the long-back chairs.

“Don’t you dare lie to me, Severus Snape,” Minerva said. “I remember how bad you looked when you came to school that day.”

“Mother,” Severus sighed.

“Minerva, we will not let it get that bad,” Poppy said, sitting on the small sofa adjacent to the chairs. “We have him. We’ll take care of him.”

____0000____0000____0000

Albus walked in the Infirmary and saw Harry lying in bed. He walked over to the bed and sat down on the end of it.

Harry stirred when he felt the bed sink down. A small part of him hoped it was his Professor coming to see him. He couldn’t understand why he felt so comfortable with the Potion professor, but he was with him during the hardest time. He remembered the strong embrace that was holding him when his shoulder was popped back into place. Even when he begged for the Professor to stay with him, he assured Harry that he would not leave him.

Harry opened his eyes and was surprised he didn’t see a blur of black but of multi-colors.

“Harry, my boy,” Albus said.

Harry’s eyes closed. “Professor Dumbledore,” Harry said quietly.

“How are you feeling, my boy?”

“Tired,” Harry answered.

“Can you tell me what happened?” Albus asked.

Harry opened his eyes and looked in the direction of the Headmaster.

“My cousin and his friends attacked me,” Harry said.

“Was there something that provoked the attack? Did you do something that they probably misunderstood?”

Harry couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Professor Dumbledore was blaming him for this. He didn’t do anything. He never did anything.

“Now, Harry,” Albus said. “Once you are released from here, you are going to have to go back to your relatives. I want you to try and get along with them. You are only safe with them. Do you understand?”

This couldn’t be happening. Harry turned his head away from the Headmaster. Yeah, he understood all too well.

“Yes, sir,” Harry mumbled.

“Wonderful,” Albus said, patting Harry on his arm. “I’ll see you at the opening feast.”

Albus got up and left the Infirmary. Five minutes later, Severus walked into the infirmary.

___000___000____0000___000

Severus was sitting with Poppy and Minerva when there was a feeling of dread. He didn’t know where it was coming from, but he knew he needed to find out. Poppy and Minerva were talking to each other.

“Mother,” Severus said, interrupting their conversation. “I must leave. I’ll be back later.”

Minerva nodded and watched her son leave her chambers.

Severus walked blindly to where he knew he needed to go. When he got to the hallway were the Infirmary was, he saw the Headmaster walking out of there, heading to his office. Severus waited until he was gone before coming to the Infirmary.

When Severus walked into the Infirmary, he saw Harry was curled up. Severus walked over to the bed and sat down on the bed next to Harry.

“Potter,” Severus said.

Harry didn’t move but looked up at the Potion Professor. Severus could see that the boy’s eyes were red-rimmed.

“Do I really have to go back?” Harry asked. His voice was no louder than a whisper.

“I’m sorry, Harry,” Severus said, tilting his head, looking at Harry. “It’s out of my hands.”

“Please,” Harry begged.

Severus looked at the small boy who, for some reason has crawled into his once stony heart. Never did he think that a small plea from James’ son would affect him like this.

___0000____0000____0000____000

“Okay, Minerva,” Poppy said, standing up. “I need to get back to the infirmary. It’s about time to give Harry his next dose.”

“Alright,” Minerva said. “I’ll come and see him a little later.”

Poppy walked out of her best friend’s chambers and headed to the Infirmary. It was a short walk. When she opened the door, she was greeted with a horrible surprise. All the beds were empty.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3460