Unexpected Truce: Revision by mandancie
Summary: Help is found in the unlikeliest of places. I hope that you enjoy this updated version of my story. Some things will be the same as the original, but there will be subtle changes. This story is Alternate Universe. Severus mentors Harry story. The characters will be a little OOC.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Evil!Albus, Injured!Harry, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Character Bashing, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 39429 Read: 27554 Published: 03 Jan 2018 Updated: 04 Aug 2020
Chapter 7: Finding Help by mandancie

The beds were empty. Poppy walked over to the bed that Harry was in and saw that the thin cover that was over the boy was draped over the edge as if it was tossed aside. The empty phials were still on the bedside table.

Poppy turned and rushed into her office and lit a fire. She threw a pinch of Floo powder into the flames. “Minerva!”

Minerva’s face appeared in the flames. She saw the panicked look on Poppy’s face.

“Poppy,” Minerva said. “What’s wrong?”

“Harry’s missing,” Poppy cried.

___0000____0000____0000

Albus walked to the Astronomy tower and stood at the edge. It was a pleasant day. The sun was shining. There wasn’t a cloud in the ski. Albus took a deep breath and slowly let it out. Apparating out of the castle, Albus landed outside Hog’s Head Tavern. Walking inside, Albus sat down at a table that was in the corner out of the way.

Someone placed a mug harshly in front of Albus. He looked up and saw his older brother standing in front of him.

“What are you doing here, Albus?” Aberforth growled.

“I just came to talk,” Albus said.

“I told you I don’t want to see you again,” Aberforth said, sitting down across from Albus. “Why are you here?”

“I just wanted to see you,” Albus said, innocently.

“That’s a load of crap,” Aberforth mused. “You don’t just come down from your high mountain unless it’s the last resort. You want something. What is it?”

“Just to talk,” Albus said, pulling the mug closer towards him.

“So, talk,” Aberforth said, leaning back in his chair, folding his arms across his chest.

___000____0000____000____000

Severus apparated to his family house in Spinner’s End. His bundle that he was carrying in his arm did not stir. He looked down at his bundle then walked towards the stairs. It wasn’t the ideal place, but at least he would be safe here for a few days. Or at least long enough for Severus to make other plans.

Severus walked into his old room. There was a threadbare bed in the corner. It was old, but it will do for now. Lowering his bundle on the bed, he started to pull his robe from around the bundle.

Harry was still asleep. Severus knew that Harry was still in pain. It was better for both if Harry was asleep when he was moved instead of feeling the jarring from the apparation or Severus just walking.

Severus looked at Harry’s shoulder and felt to make sure that it was still in place. Harry’s shoulder was still sound, so Severus was happy about that. He knew he still needed the potion he brewed that was still in his laboratory at Hogwarts. He could make another batch here, but he wasn’t sure if he had everything in his stores here to make it again.

Taking a chance, Severus decided on what he would do. He would call on his mother’s house-elf to get what he needed.

“Tami,” Severus called out.

There was a small pop, and an elf stood in front of Severus. Severus was never one to use the house-elves much. He felt that he could do most of what he needed by himself. Very rarely did he take advantage of their use. His mother’s elf was the only one that Severus could tolerate. Tami didn’t feel the need to use self-harm if she felt there was a misunderstanding. Minerva didn’t allow self-harming with her elves. She would explain what she expected and required her elves to follow her orders to the letter. After a very stressful time for Severus, Minerva secretly bonded Tami to him.

“Master Sev’us,” Tami said when she popped in front of him.

“I need you to do something for me,” Severus said to the elf.

“Yes, sir,” Tami said.

“In my lab, at school, there is a potion on my table. I need you to bottle two phials of the potion and bring it to me,” Severus ordered.

“Yes, Master Sev’us,” Tami said, popping away.

Seconds later, Tami popped back in front of Severus, handing him the two phials.

“Thank you, Tami,” Severus said, pocketing the phials. “I have one more thing.”

“Yes, sir.”

“This may seem like a hard order, but I must ask you to follow it to the letter,” Severus said.

“Yes, sir.”

“Do not tell anyone where I am or who is with me,” Severus said. “Do you understand?”

“I understand, Master Sev’us,” Tami said.

“Very good,” Severus praised. “You can go.”

Tami popped out of the room. Severus turned his attention back to Harry.

Moving a strand of hair from Harry’s face, “I’ve got to find a safe place for you,” Severus said.

___000____0000____0000____000

Minerva ran to the Infirmary as fast as she could. She couldn’t believe what she heard. Harry was missing. The doors to the Infirmary slammed to the adjacent walls with a loud noise. Poppy turned to see Minerva walking over to her.

“Is there any sign of where Harry is?” Minerva asked.

“Nothing,” Poppy sighed. “I don’t understand. Who would take Harry? Why?”

“There’s only one person I can think of,” Minerva snarled.

Poppy turned and faced her friend. “Albus wouldn’t, would he?”

“I wouldn’t put it past him,” Minerva seethed. She turned and rushed out of the Infirmary. Poppy followed.

It didn’t take long for Minerva to reach the gargoyle.

“Move,” Minerva ordered.

“Minerva,” Poppy said.

“He’s not here,” the gargoyle said.

“I will not ask again,” Minerva said, pulling out her wand.

“Headmaster is not here,” the gargoyle said again.

Minerva pointed her wand at the gargoyle. It instantly moved. Poppy looked at Minerva with astonishment, and Minerva slightly shrugged her shoulder.

Both went up the spiral stairs. Minerva opened the door and stopped just inside. Poppy stopped short and stepped to her best friends.

The office was empty.

____0000____0000____0000

Two people walked down the empty street. One was a tall, burly man with long stringing hair. His clothes were tight on his shoulders with it opened in the front. He had a slight growl when he walked. His companion was considerably shorter than the man. She had a swing in her walk that showed she was someone to be feared and didn’t mind showing it. Her face was hard to see in the night streetlights as she wore a hooded cloak.

The two entered Hog Head’s Tavern. It was a desolate place. Only a few patrons were scattered throughout the room.

“Over here,” a gravelly voice called from the back corner.

The two looked at each other and walked over to the back corner of the tavern.

“Please, sit.”

“Who are you?” the woman said, removing the hood of her cloak.

With the light now in their faces, the person at the table could see who was in front of them. Bellatrix Lestrange and Fenrir Greyback.

“Bellatrix and Fenrir, please,” the person said again. “Sit.”

Bellatrix and Fenrir sat across the person.

“You know who we are,” Bellatrix snarled. “Who are you?”

“Let just say, I’m your fairy godmother,” the person said.

“Okay, fairy godmother,” Bellatrix said. “Why are we here?”

“I wanted to give you a gift.”

“And what gift is that?” Bellatrix asked, leaning back in her chair.

“One of the light’s most feared matriarchs,” the person said.

“Who?” Fenrir growled, speaking for the first time.

“Minerva McGonagall.”

____0000____0000____0000

Severus looked down at the child lying on the bed.

Where was he going to find help?

Severus knew he couldn’t go to his mother. It would just put her in danger. He took a huge risk taking Harry out of Hogwarts. He just couldn’t in good conscious leave Potter in the hands of his relatives. He lived that kind of abuse. No child should have to live through that.

Severus leaned back at the head of the bed. Harry was lying beside him on the bed.

The Weasleys. They would help take care of Harry. But the sheer number of children that were there would be putting a target on their backs. Even with their oldest being a curse breaker and the second working with Dragons, Severus couldn’t bring this to their doorstep.

Madam Augusta Longbottom. She is a formidable witch and can handle whatever comes her way. She still has her grandson to look after. Neville has been a skittish pupil in his class, but Severus has watched him in Herbology. He noticed that the boy had a knack for plants. Neville, Severus thought, will grow into his own and would make a formidable wizard just like his grandmother.

The wolf: Remus Lupin. Knowing if Severus asked Lupin, the mutt will come with him. Lupin not having pressing matters to handle because of being a werewolf would be a plus. Black still being an escaped prisoner could truly keep an eye on Harry. Outside of not wanting to deal with either of them, Lupin and Black were the perfect people to help with Harry. No family. Kept isolated. As much as Severus hated to admit it, they were the best choice. Though, it was a risk that they would still go to Dumbledore. But it was a risk he was going to have to take.

Looking down at the child next to him, Severus swallowed his pride and got up and sat at the rickety desk. Pulling out a piece of parchment and quill, Severus wrote out a letter to Remus Lupin.

Remus Lupin

I know I am probably the last person you would expect to hear from, but something has happened that causes me to send out an olive branch. I know that I am the last person you would want to talk to. So, first off, I would like to offer my apology for the way I was two years ago. Old grudges.

The reason for this message is about Harry Potter. He needs a safe place to stay. For reasons that I cannot get into without his consent, know that he is not safe with his relatives or Dumbledore. Harry is currently with me, but is not safe to stay here.

The favor that I need to ask of you is the only place that I know of that Harry can be remotely safe is with you and Sirius Black. I know that you both care for Harry. I want to make sure that Harry is safe.

Please send a reply with your answer.

Severus Snape

Severus rolled the parchment and put it in the inside pocket of his coat. He walked over to the bed and checked to see how Harry was doing.

Severus didn’t like the house. He grew up in this house. There were too many bad memories in this house. The only reason he kept it was to use the lab he built in the basement. Severus could work on more dangerous potions in the privacy of the house without worrying that someone would sneak in or accidentally get hurt.

Having Harry here was not ideal, but it was just a pitstop before the first hideout.

An apparation pop brought Severus out of his musing. He turned and saw that Tami returned with the phials in her hand.

“Here you go, Master Sev’us,” Tami said, holding out her hands.

“Thank you, Tami,” Severus said, pocketing the phials. “Remember, do not tell anyone that you’ve seen Potter or me.”

“I won’t Master Sev’us,” Tami said before apparating away.

Severus walked over to Harry and saw that the boy was trying to wake up.

“Harry,” Severus said, sitting down on the bed next to the child.

“P’fessor,” Harry slurred. “Where are we?” Harry turned his head to try to see his surroundings.

“Harry,” Severus said softly. “I need to give you a potion that will help with the pain and hasten your recovery.”

Harry slowly blinked at the Potion Master. Without prompting, Harry opened his mouth so that Severus could pour the right amount of the potion in his mouth. Severus was surprised at the trust Harry was giving him. He didn’t ask what the potion was. He just took it.

After Harry swallowed the potion, making a face at the taste, Harry looked at his Potions Professor, saying, weakly, “Thank you.”

Harry’s eyes closed again and fell asleep. Severus wrapped Harry back in the robe, casting another feather-weight charm over the boy. Carefully picking Harry up, Severus apparated out of his childhood home, landing to his unplottable home.

0000_____0000____0000____000

Minerva and Poppy walked back down the spiral stairs. Minerva shook her head. She couldn’t believe he did it. Why would Albus take Harry back to that house? Both witches were quiet as they walked down the corridor.

When they got to the staircase, both women saw Albus walking up the stairs.

“Albus,” Minerva screeched. “How could you?”

Albus looked up at his Deputy Headmistress, eyes furrowed.

“How could I what, Minerva?” Albus said, stopping on the step he was on.

“You took Harry back to those vile people,” Poppy said.

“Now ladies,” Albus placated.

“Don’t,” Minerva said, cutting Albus off. “Don’t do that. Why would you sentence Harry to that kind of abuse?”

“Minerva, dear,” Albus said, calmly. “I didn’t take Harry back to his relatives. You said you didn’t want Harry to go back, so I left it alone.”

“He’s not here,” Minerva growled.

“Who’s not here?” Albus asked.

“Harry.”

“Well, I didn’t take him,” Albus said, raising his hands. “Have you asked Severus?”

“Severus,” Poppy said. “Why would Severus know?”

“You know Severus doesn’t like Harry,” Albus said, climbing the stairs again. “He’s always said that Harry was a spoiled brat that grew up pampered.”

Albus walked past a stunned Minerva and Poppy.

“Maybe you should talk to him about where Harry is,” Albus said, turning down the corridor to his chambers.   

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3460