Unexpected Truce: Revision by mandancie
Summary: Help is found in the unlikeliest of places. I hope that you enjoy this updated version of my story. Some things will be the same as the original, but there will be subtle changes. This story is Alternate Universe. Severus mentors Harry story. The characters will be a little OOC.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Evil!Albus, Injured!Harry, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Character Bashing, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 39429 Read: 27568 Published: 03 Jan 2018 Updated: 04 Aug 2020
Story Notes:
I am rewriting my story Unexpected Truce. There were too many continuity issues with the story. I am leaving up the original but posting another story. I hope you all enjoy it.

1. Chapter 1: Summer Vacations by mandancie

2. Chapter 2: Learning the Truth by mandancie

3. Chapter 3: Coming to Grips by mandancie

4. Chapter 4: Nightmares by mandancie

5. Chapter 5: Unpleasant Conversations by mandancie

6. Chapter 6: Unpleasant Conversations Cont by mandancie

7. Chapter 7: Finding Help by mandancie

8. Chapter 8: Standing Alone by mandancie

9. Chapter 9: True Trust by mandancie

10. Chapter 10: True Hurt by mandancie

11. Chapter 11: Finding More Help by mandancie

12. Chapter 12: Going Home? by mandancie

13. Chapter 13: More Puzzle Pieces by mandancie

14. Chapter 14: Out of the Frying Pan by mandancie

15. Chapter 15: And Into The Fire by mandancie

16. Chapter 16: The Burrow by mandancie

Chapter 1: Summer Vacations by mandancie

Harry sneaked away. It was the summer after his fourth year. School ended two weeks ago. There was so much on his mind; the return of Voldemort, the tournament, the death of Cedric, and his meetings with the Headmaster and Head of House. He felt that he was still in shock from what happened during the last challenge. Never in a million years did he think that his name would come out of the Goblet, let alone that he would even survive to make it to the end of the tournament. He didn't want to think about Cedric Diggory. Cedric should not have been dead. He should be enjoying his winnings with his family. Well, no, he's not. He was killed just for being in that graveyard.

Harry wandered down the street, not caring where he was going. He knew he was supposed to paint the fence and gate before his uncle got home, but with his thoughts going a mile a minute, he just didn't care about painting. Putting his hands in his pockets of his tattered, over-sized trousers, head bowed, he continued on his trek.

When he looked up, he saw he made it to the park at the end of the long street. Looking around he could remember coming out here the summer before his third year when he tried to run away. Looking around the small park now, he remembered seeing a black dog that night. Thinking of that dog, it made him miss his godfather all the more. He learned that it wasn't a dog after all, but his godfather just wanting to see him.

Harry walked over towards the swing and sat down, thinking what was Sirius doing? Was he safe? Did he even miss him? His mind went back to the last time he saw his godfather, Sirius.

He had just finished telling the Headmaster what happened at the graveyard. He remembered a hand on his shoulder, gently squeezing it. Harry remembered that he didn't realize that there were more people in that office until Professor Dumbledore pointed it out. Not only was Sirius there, but Professors McGonagall and Snape. Why Snape was there, Harry had no clue, and he didn't even give it a second thought.

Harry sat on the swing; his shoulders slumped in between the chains. He was slightly rocking it back and forth, not really to gain momentum but just to give himself something to do. Sighing, Harry wished that his fourth year never happened. Maybe if he didn't try and fight so much to go back to school, he wouldn't have been forced into that tournament. If he didn't go back, Cedric would still be alive. Thinking over the past school year, Harry wondered was there anything good that happened. Stretching his leg so that he could reach into his pocket without having to get up, he pulled out an old coin. A small smile curved at the corner of his mouth when he remembered his talk with Professor McGonagall just before he left for the train.

"How are you doing, Harry?" Minerva asked when Harry sat down in the chair across from her desk.

"I'm fine," Harry said, sounding detached.

"I'm sure," Minerva replied, shaking her head. She could tell that what happened at the end of the tournament was still weighing heavily on his mind.

"How are things at home?" Minerva asked after a moment.

The question caught Harry so off guard that his head that was lowered popped up and looked at his Head of House. He was so stunned by the question that he didn't have a reply.

"Harry," Minerva said. "I want to give you something." She rummaged through her desk until she found what she was looking for. She held out her hand.

Harry took it and looked at the small circular object. It was an old coin. It seemed very rare.

"This is really nice, Professor," Harry said, looking at the coin.

"Yes," Minerva nodded. "I want you to hold on to that. Keep it with you at all times."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Now, off you go. The carriages will be leaving soon."

"Thank you, Professor."

Harry, putting the coin in his pocket, left out of the office.

Looking at the coin, Harry didn't notice that he was no longer alone in the park. Five boys were walking up towards him.

"Well, well, well, look who we have here."

Harry looked up at the sound of the voice, gripping the coin in his hand in an attempt to hide it from his cousin. Dudley was standing across from him while his friends stood even out on each side of Dudley. Harry really didn't want to deal with Dudley or his gang of friends right now. Actually, he didn't want to see them at all.

"Why are you here?" Dudley asked.

"Leave me alone," Harry said. "I don't want any trouble."

"Well, too bad," Piers said, who was standing next to Dudley on his left. "You found it, pretty boy."

"I fancy a chase," Donovan said who was standing closer towards Harry but on his right. "I'll even be sporting about it. I'll give you a two-minute start."

Usually, when they said that, Harry would automatically take off running. He learned early on that when they gave him a running start; it was wise to take it. But today, he didn't care. He didn't care what Dudley and his gang were going to do. Deep down, even if he didn't want to honestly admit it to himself, he felt that he deserved whatever Dudley and his friends did to him.

"You're letting your two minutes run out," Donovan said when he saw that Harry didn't move.

Harry slowly stood up, putting the coin in his pocket at the same time. He didn't care what they did to him, but he did not want to lose that coin. Piers walked over towards Harry until he was only inches away from his face.

"You want to buck, pretty boy?" Piers jeered.

Harry looked at the boy who was now invading his personal space. Out of all five of the boys that Dudley hung out with, he was the only one that Harry hated the most. He didn't like how close he would get to him. Piers made Harry feel very uncomfortable.

"You should have taken the head start." Harry could hear one of the other boys' behind them. He knew he was in for a world of hurt, but deep down, he honestly didn't care.

_0000_0000_000_000

Minerva was walking back to her chambers. She had just left the Head of House meeting with Pamona, Filius, and Severus. Surprisingly, it wasn't a long meeting. They just discussed small changes that were going to be implemented. They would all take an active roll in watching not only the students but also the teachers. Neither one wanted another incident in having several students placed in danger.

Walking into her chambers, she was met by Severus.

"I would have thought that you would hold yourself up in your laboratory," Minerva said, smirking.

Severus didn't respond. He knew she was teasing, and he didn't want to deal with it at the moment.

"Did you know?" Severus asked. His voice low and smooth not giving any hint to how he was genuinely feeling.

"Did I know what?"

"I was denied again," Severus said, sitting down in one of Minerva's straight back chairs.

Minerva sighed as she took off her outer robes, hanging them up on the back of her other chair. She knew. She was with Albus when he got the floo call about the new Defense Professor.

"Yes," Minerva sighed, sitting down in her chair. "I knew."

"And telling me didn't cross your mind."

"It wasn't my place to tell you."

"Rubbish," Severus exclaimed, as he stood up and began to pace. "You're the Deputy Headmistress. If it's not your place, then who's, is it? I don't even get the decency of being told face to face. I get a letter."

"Severus," Minerva started but was cut off.

"A stuttering fool, a ponce, a werewolf, an impersonator, and now who?"

"Severus."

"Who?"

Minerva sighed. "Her name is Dolores Umbridge. She's the undersecretary to Minister Fudge."

Severus looked at Minerva and said nothing. He stood up and walked to the door.

"Severus, please, don't leave," she stopped him at the door. "Stay. Have some tea with me, like we used to."

"I'll be in my laboratory, mother," Severus said and walked out of the room.

"Don't stay cooped up in there all night," Minerva said, softly when the door closed. She knew how much Severus wanted the position of Defense Professor. She couldn't deny that he was an excellent duelist. He was second to Filius, but his potion skills just could not be matched. No one in London could excel Severus Snape in Potions. Thinking about that only made her more proud of her son, her adopted son.

Since she wasn't going to have tea with her son, as she hoped, she decided to do a little paperwork. She needed to get the grades out for her students and then get the first year's letters started so that they could be sent out.

Severus walked into his laboratory, and he instantly felt calm. All the hatred he was feeling for again not being the Defense Professor just seem to vanish. There was a sense of peace that no one seemed to understand when it came to crushing, chopping, scraping, boiling, temping, stirring, looking into a cauldron and watching your work become a work of art. Pulling his wand from its holster, Severus levitated three kettles over to their respective burners. Since he'd already finished working on replenishing the Infirmary, he decided to work on his own potion that would improve the side effects to the Wolfsbane.

He was in the middle of grounding down monkshood root when he heard it. It was a ringing that was so intense he could feel the ringing. Dropping the pedestal, Severus walked out of his laboratory and into his office, where the ringing only intensified. When he made it over to his desk, and after a short time of searching, he found what was causing the noise. Looking down at the object in his hand, he could feel his blood run cold. He knew how these coins worked, and he knew who had the sister coin. Rushing back into his laboratory, Severus waved his wand over the area, forming a status charm so that he wouldn't lose what he'd already started on, ran out of his laboratory and to where he knew where the sister was.

Minerva was so enthralled in what she was doing when her chamber door burst open it startled her so severely that she knocked over her inkwell, smashing it onto the floor. A shriek escaped passed her lips when she heard the door slam against the adjacent wall.

Severus was never one to show his emotions on his face, but hearing that coin go off, he had no idea what he would find when he got to her. He was shocked to see that Minerva was sitting behind her desk.

"Severus, what is the meaning of this?"

Not being able to find his voice at the moment, he just walked into the room, holding out his hand. Minerva was about to ask again but stopped when she saw the glowing green coin in her son's hand. Quickly getting out of her chair, she walked over to Severus.

"Harry," Minerva whispered.

"Potter," Severus growled, finally finding his voice. "Why does Potter have your coin?"

"I gave it to him," Minerva said, taking the coin out of Severus' hand, walking back to her desk.

"Why?"

Minerva didn't answer him, she just turned and faced him. "You've got to go check on him?"

"What? I will not."

"Severus, please," Minerva pleaded. "You didn't see his face on the last day. I did. I fear he may hurt himself. That's why I gave him my coin. Please, Severus, go and check on him."

The Potions Master didn't want to have to see the Potter brat during his time of peace. Summer was the only time he didn't have to see that boy. Looking into his mother's eyes, he knew there was no way around it; he was going to Little Whining. He took a deep breath, holding it, and letting the air release from his lungs slowly. He knew he was going to have to gather up all his strength to see first hand how spoiled Harry Potter was. He dipped his head in a single nod, letting his mother know that he agreed to check on the boy.

"Thank you, Severus," Minerva said, smiling. "When you come back, we'll have tea together."

Severus turned and walked out of his mother's chamber and towards the front gate.

_0000_0000_000_000

Harry was running as fast as his feet would take him. He was hurting, bad. He told himself that he didn't care if Dudley and his friends beat him, but it was getting to be too much. When he didn't run, the biggest one, Donovan, grabbed hold of Harry and would not let him go. The rest of the boys took turns hitting and punching and kicking Harry. When he finally was able to get out of Donovan's grasp, he collapsed on to the ground. The beating didn't stop because he was on the ground. It only intensified. One of them, Harry didn't know which one, stomped on his fingers, and then kicking him in the mouth. Another one kicked him in the ribs. That one took his breath away. He was resigned to accept his fate of hoping that they would end it right there, but for some reason, they stopped hitting him. When Harry looked up, he saw that they were gone. He looked around a saw no trace of them. Slowly, he stood up and started the long walk back towards the house. He didn't get out of the park good when he heard one of Dudley's friends yell, "He's getting away."

Harry started running. He didn't care where he was going; he just knew that he needed to get away. When he saw that he saw the tunnel, he ran for it. Harry could no longer hear those boys that were chasing him. He leaned against the wall of the tunnel and slid down until he was sitting down. He figured he should see how much damage they did. His glasses were barely on his face; when he pulled them off, he could see that the frame was on the verge of breaking. It was being held together by just a thin part of the wire from the rim. His hand that got stomped pressed against his chest. He figured that at least one of his fingers were broken. Harry sighed. When his breath left past his lips, he felt it. It was subtle at first, but it got more and more intense. Harry knew what was coming, having dealt with them in his third year. The first thing that came to his mind was why was he feeling like this. There shouldn't be Dementors in Surrey.

Before Harry could react to the fact that those vile creatures were in Surrey, a cold, claw-like hand gripped his neck and lifted him off the ground. Harry knew the spell that would repel a Dementor. His wand was in his back pocket. He could feel the cloaked creature sucking his happiness out of him, not that there was much anyway. His vision started to darken around the edges. It was becoming a welcome feeling. Harry almost smiled at the thought of it finally ending, and he would see his parents.

The last thing Harry heard before everything became dark, "Expecto Patronum!"

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 2: Learning the Truth by mandancie
Author's Notes:
I waited until this chapter to post because Harry and Severus didn't see or talk to each other until now.

Why did he have to sacrifice his time? Wasn't his time precious? Severus sighed as he made his way down the long street of Privet Drive, looking for Number Four. He sneered as he walked down the road. Each house was almost the same. The lawns were immaculate. When he got to Number Four, walking up to the door, he knocked.

No answer.

Severus knocked again with a little more force; still no answer.

Closing his eyes, he tried to reign in his temper. A complete waste of time.

"Excuse me," a voice said, bringing Severus out of his musings. "If you're looking for the Dursley's the Missus stepped out for a moment."

The woman walked away before Severus could respond. His anger towards the entire situation boiled to a whole new level. A wild goose chase.

Oh, he could not wait for the start of term, Severus thought, angrily. Mr. Potter will genuinely learn why he was the most hated Professor in the school.

He wanted to return to Hogwarts and let Minerva know that giving Potter her coin was a dunderhead move, which she should be above such stupidity.

When he got back to where he started, Severus decided he wanted to walk a little bit before going back to the school. His afternoon was already ruined with having to come to this place. And he felt that the walk would calm him down a little, but that wasn't in the cards either.

Severus walked towards an open field. Looking around, he saw that he was at a neighborhood park. His mind went back in time to the first time he saw a green-eyed, red-haired girl. The most beautiful girl he'd ever laid eyes on. His reminiscing was cut short when he heard a scream. Looking around trying to find out where it came from, he saw a group of boys chasing after a small, skinny...

Severus sighed. He recognized Potter anywhere. Shaking his head, he guessed the coin was right. Severus figured that Potter probably started something that he could not finish and not having his entourage to back him up, he was defenseless.

Just how arrogant could Potter be, Severus thought as he followed in a more sedate manner. Let Potter see just how it is to be on the receiving end of torment. After a few moments of observing Potter's tormentors, he saw them coming back towards him, but Potter was nowhere with them.

Trying not to draw attention to himself, Severus stood facing the street as the boys walked past behind him.

"Ha," Piers said. "Did you see his face when we left him alone."

"Yeah," Donovan said. "Maybe next time he'll take our advice and run."

The boys continued down the street not paying any attention to the tall figure standing on the curb, dressed in black.

Severus turned and watched the boys as they passed him. As much as he believed that Potter deserved to get taken down a peg or two, there was something in the way those boys were talking that didn't sit well with the Potions Master. Instead of following those boys, Severus decided to go in the direction from where they came, hoping to run into the Golden Boy, himself.

As he continued walking, Severus felt it before he saw it.

"That's impossible," Severus murmured, quickening his steps.

The only reason he would be feeling this was because a dementor was coming. Why would a dementor be in a muggle town, was beyond him. He remembered how they reacted to Potter, so he knew he had to find him quickly.

_0000_0000_0000

"Expecto Patronum!"

A silvery light came from its source, looming out before taking its shape. The doe pranced around before heading towards its target. The dementor hissed, dropping its prey in a non-glorified heap. The silvery Patronus did its job and chased the dementor away.

Once the dementors were gone, the silvery doe walked over to the teenage boy, poking her muzzle into the child's hair before disappearing.

Severus rushed over to the child, falling on his knees beside the boy. Harry landed on his side. Severus could see the bloodied nose and the black eyes. Looking down the child's prone form, he saw two of his fingers on one of his hands turning purple. If he had to guess, they were either jammed or worse broken. This did not look like right.

"Potter," Severus said softly, cupping the boy's bruised face. "Can you hear me?" When he got no response, he tried again. "Potter."

Looking around, he knew that he could treat the boy for some of his injuries, though he could not do it here. He needed somewhere safe and secluded.

Pulling off his jacket, after glancing around to see that no one was there, he silently transfigured it to a blanket, so that he could wrap Potter in. After making sure that the boy was securely wrapped, he lifted the boy only to receive another shock.

"Did you even eat this summer?" Severus asked the unconscious boy in his arms.

He was entirely too thin. Even though Severus figured he could carry Potter with no problem, he didn't know how long it would be before he would have to put his down so casting a slight featherweight charm on the boy and then a disillusionment over the both of them, Severus walked out of the tunnel.

The Potions Master debated as he walked if he should go straight to Hogwarts, but he didn't have time to thoroughly think about leaving as Harry began to squirm. If he weren't wrapped up, Severus would have lost his grip on the boy.

A thought crossed the professor's mind of breaking into someone's home just to use their couch and tend to the boy before apparating back to Hogwarts but quickly dismissed the idea that something could go wrong. Then he thought of it. Slightly shaking his head at himself for not thinking of it sooner, he headed towards a member of the Order's house.

_0000_0000_0000

Arabella Figg was sitting in her living room, working on her cross stitching when she heard a knock on the door. Well, it wasn't a true knock, but more of a pounding. Getting up and walking towards the door, she looked out the side window and at first didn't see anyone. Severus dropped the disillusionment charm over himself and Potter. Arabella gasped as she rushed to open the door to let her visitors inside.

"Severus," Arabella gasped as she opened the door. "What happened?"

Severus didn't answer he just came inside and headed for the living room. After closing the door, Arabella followed Severus and saw him laying his bundle on the sofa and kneeling beside it.

"Severus," she called again. "What happ..." she stopped mid-word and gasped.

Severus worked on removing the transfigured blanket from around Harry so that he could do a proper diagnostic scan. Once he got the boy free, he pulled out his wand and waved it at the child.

Harry James Potter

Age: 14

Birth-date: July 31, 1980

Diagnosis

Skeletal

Broken Nose

Dislocated Shoulder

Cracked Ribs

Three Broken Fingers

Tissue

Slight fluid in right lung

Bruising of left lung

Contusions

Neurological

Minor Nerve Damage (left side) exposure to Cruciatus

Diagnostic done by

Severus Tobias Snape-McGonagall

Potions Master and Certified Asst. Healer

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Once the parchment dropped into his hands, Severus couldn't believe what he was seeing. It was impossible. There should not be these many injuries on the boy. He heard a gasped from behind him. Arabella must have looked over his shoulder and read the parchment as well.

"Are you connected to the Network?" Severus asked. His voice was low as he was still trying to come to grips with what he just read.

She didn't answer him, as she was, too, in shock at the state of how Harry looked.

"Arabella," Severus called out with more force, looking up at the woman. "Are you connected to the Floo Network?"

"Uh, yes," Arabella breathed, nodding.

Severus got up from where he was kneeling and walked over to the fireplace. Pulling out his wand he cast Incendio in the hearth and then pulling a small pouch from his pocket, and throwing some powder into the flames. The orange flames quickly turned the desired green. Kneeling down once again, Severus called out.

"Minerva!"

After a few moments, Minerva's head shown through the flames.

"Severus, are you on your way back?" Minerva asked when she saw his face. "I told you it wouldn't be that bad. Come through; we'll have tea."

"Mother," Severus said, cutting her off. "I'm at Arabella's. You have to come here."

"What's happened?" Minerva asked, seeing the distress on her adopted son's face.

"Come," was all Severus said, before removing his head from the flames. Minerva looked around for a second before standing up and walking through the still opened floo flames. Stepping through, she was met by Severus, who helped her out of the hearth.

"Arabella," Minerva said by way of greeting when she saw Arabella was sitting in her cozy chair in the corner.

Arabella didn't respond to her friend's greeting as she was still in shock at the state of Harry.

"Severus," Minerva said. "What's going on?"

Severus escorted his adopted mother towards the sofa. She gasped at who she saw laying on it.

"Harry," Minerva said, covering her mouth. "What has happened? Who's done this?"

Severus shook his head. "I saw him running from some boys, but I don't know." Handing his mother the diagnostic parchment.

"Boys?" Minerva asked. "Do you think he was jumped?"

"I haven't the slightest," Severus answered. "I couldn't get to him in time. I had to deal with some rouge dementors."

Minerva stopped reading the parchment and looked up at Severus, shocked at what he just said.

"Dementors? Here?"

Severus nodded.

They were silent a moment as Minerva finished reading over the parchment.

"We need to get him to Poppy."

Severus bent over to re-bundle up Potter the way he had him before. Harry started to moan. When Severus lifted the child, Harry opened his eyes. He and Severus looked at each other.

"Professor," Harry slurred.

"Rest, Potter," Severus said, gently.

Minerva removed Harry's glasses, that were broken, from his face. Severus adjusted the boy so that he would be able to protect Harry from the flames and the jarring nature of traveling by Floo. With Harry's head tucked into the crook of Severus' neck, Severus had an arm wrapped around the child's shoulders and the other under his knees, cradling the child against his chest.

"I'll be there as soon as I can," Minerva said, putting the parchment in Severus' pocket.

The two Hogwarts Professors walked over to the hearth. Minerva threw a pinch of powder into the flames. Once it turned green, Severus stepped into the flames and called out. "Hogwarts Infirmary."

Once they were gone, Minerva turned to who she considered a friend. She had questions that she needed answers.

Arabella, still hadn't moved from her cozy chair, was sitting there with tears streaming down her face. Minerva pulled out her handkerchief and held it out towards her. Arabella looked up at her friend and slowly took the proffered cloth and dabbed her eyes. Minerva sat down on the sofa that Harry was just on.

"Arabella."

"Oh, Minerva," she whispered. "I just can't believe it."

"You seemed genuinely shocked by what you've just witnessed."

"Oh, I am."

Minerva nodded in understanding.

"Then maybe you can help me out with something," Minerva said. Her voice void of emotions.

"If I can," Arabella said, straightening in her chair, trying to compose herself.

"Why is it a shock to you?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"When Severus mentioned about the boys chasing Harry, that didn't shock you. It was almost like a natural occurrence. What shocked you, was the damage."

"Now, Minerva -"

"Is Harry being bullied?" Minerva asked, cutting off what her friend was going to say. "If he is, then why is this the first I'm hearing about it?"

Arabella sat across from her friend, her mouth opened like a fish out of water, her lips moving up and down but no sound coming from her. Minerva raised her eyebrow in expectancy waiting for her friend to answer.

"With all these cats roaming around here," Minerva said, looking around the room. "One of them must have your tongue. Shall I help you find it?"

"Minerva, please," Arabella croaked.

"Was Harry being bullied? For how long? And most importantly, why did you not inform me?"

"Minerva, I was … I just wanted …"

"What?" Minerva's asked, her anger with the woman sitting across from her now coming through. "What was it you wanted? What was the reason behind you getting this house, Arabella?" Minerva asked quickly changing the subject.

"A favor," Arabella squeaked.

"And what was that favor?"

Arabella gulped, licking her lips nervously. "To—to watch over Harry."

"And?" Minerva prompted.

"If something were to happen to contact you."

"Oh," Minerva said, sitting back on the sofa. "So you do remember. Why haven't you?"

"Please understand," Arabella sniveled. "I was just doing what I was asked."

"No," Minerva shook her head. "That doesn't make sense. I'm not understanding. You just said you remembered what I asked you to do, but now you're telling me that you were doing what you were asked. That's impossible if Harry looks like that."

"Albus."

"What about him?"

"He came to me after I moved in," Arabella tried to explain. "He told me that he wanted me to keep an eye on the house. That's what I was doing."

Minerva narrowed her eyes at her "friend."

"Coward," Minerva barked. Her anger was reaching a whole new level. She didn't know if she should truly take it out on this woman sitting across from her, or that senile old coot. The more she thought about it, the more she wanted to leave this house and go and strangle that man with his beard. "I asked you to watch Harry. Only Harry. Albus had his Blood Wards over the house. There was no need to watch the house."

"I'm sorry, Minerva."

"It is not me you need to apologize to." For the first time, Minerva felt disgusted. "I trusted you."

"I'm so sorry," Arabella cried.

_0000_0000_0000_0000

Severus stepped out of the hearth. During the summer the Infirmary was peacefully quiet. He knew that Poppy usually stayed at the castle and he hoped she was in her office as she usually would take mid-day walks across the property.

"Poppy," Severus called out.

Stepping out of her office, "Severus, what's the matter?" Seeing Severus lowering something on one of the beds, she quickly got to his side. "What's happened?" When Severus moved from hovering over the child, she gasped, "Harry."

Severus pulled the parchment out of his pocket and handed over to the medi-witch. Poppy's complexion paled as she read everything. Poppy left his side to gather the much-needed potions and salves. Severus began the chore of removing the blanket from around the child. As he removed the blanket, Severus honestly looked at the child laying there. Carefully lifting up Harry's wrist in his hand he felt how genuinely delicate and fragile and small that limb was. All those years, he only saw James Potter. Never once did he see a child. Never once did he think that this child would struggle. Harry Potter was supposed to be pampered, living a life of luxury. Slowly lowering the child's arm back to his chest, Severus got a good look at his clothes as he began to remove them. They seemed to be well worn, looking at his waist he could see that the trousers he had on were actually too big.

Poppy arrived back to the side of the bed. A tray of assorted potions and salves was floating behind her. She began to help Severus strip the child of the bloodied clothes so that they could work on the child.

"I want to deal with the dislocated shoulder first," Poppy said, bringing Severus out of his thoughts. "Sit him up," she ordered. "Sit behind him and hold him firmly. I will pop his arm back into place."

Severus did as he was asked. Sitting on the bed with Potter leaning against his chest, Severus wrapped his arm around the boy's good arm across Harry's chest. His other hand, Severus cupped the boy's forehead, leaning the child's head on his shoulder, holding his head in place.

Poppy got on the other side of the bed and grabbed hold of Harry's arm. With a firm grip on his wrist and elbow, "Alright, try to hold him as still as possible."

Severus nodded that he was ready. Poppy and Severus looked at each other, both mentally counting.

"I'm so sorry, Harry," Poppy whispered.

She gave the arm a firm yank. There was a resounding pop. Harry's eyes popped open, wide. Severus could feel the child take a deep breath, as much as he could with the cracked ribs, and screamed. Severus tightened his hold on Harry as he tried to move away, whispering soothing words to the child, slightly rocking the child.

"Calm, Harry. It's okay. It's over. You're alright. You're fine."

Harry's shoulders shook as tears streamed down his face. Poppy instantly got to Harry's side, and after prodding his shoulder to make sure it was back in place, she got a triangle wrap and made a sling tying the knot over his other shoulder.

"Lay him down, Severus, and will get started on the rest."

Severus didn't move. He continued to rock Harry until he felt the child's breathing calm down
To be continued...
Chapter 3: Coming to Grips by mandancie
Author's Notes:
Happy New Year! I am so sorry for the lack of updates. I am three semesters away from finishing my schooling. With that and health issues, writing has been very hard for me. I hope that you enjoy this chapter.

Severus continued to hold Harry in his arms until the child went completely limp. The popping sound that was made, when Poppy reset Harry's shoulder, resonated in Severus' skull. The child's wailing still ringing in his ears. As much as he despised the boy, never did he wish harm to him. It brought up too many memories that he'd care never to have resurfaced in his mind.

Severus was brought out of his musing by a hand resting on his cheek and slightly raising it. He looked up to a concerned looking medi-witch. In the briefest of moments, she could see the worry in the Potion Master's eyes. Knowing that they needed to now deal with the fluid in the child's lungs, Poppy wanted to get Severus out of his head and back to the situation at hand. No words were needed. Severus looked up at the matron, closed his eyes and slightly leaned his head into her cupped hands. Giving the smallest nod of his head, he opened his eyes and, very carefully, lowered the child back on the bed. As Severus was lowering Harry to the bed, Poppy gave his back a small rub before going to her array of potions phials, looking for a particular one. 

Harry began to moan from the lack of warmth that calmed him after his shoulder felt like it was on fire. His forehead scrunched as he tried to move. A hand on his chest, slightly moving, seemed to calm him.

“Sleep child,” a baritone voice said, soothingly. “You need to rest.”

Harry wanted to open his eyes to see who was speaking so calmly to him. He tried to hold on and hear those soothing words over and over. For some reason the tone made him forget about the pain he was in. Harry tried to open his eyes, but they felt like someone put tape over his lids.

Severus could see that he was struggling, wanting to wake. Leaning over the boy, placing his hand over Harry's eyes, Severus began speaking to the child.

“Rest Harry,” he soothed. “All will be well soon. Don't fight it. Sleep.” Severus continued those comforting words until Harry seemed to melt into the mattress. Severus held his position until he was sure that Potter was in fact asleep. When he felt that the boy would not wake back up, Severus sat up.

Poppy put her hand on Severus' shoulder. “Why don't you set and splint his fingers while I deal with his pneumonia?”

He carefully cradled Harry's wrist in his palm, looking closely at the fingers that were gradually turning more and more purple. As he looked the fingers over, he wanted to be sure that they weren't just jammed, which he hoped was the case. Pulling out his wand, he cast a spell that would allow him to look at the bones in the boy's hand.

Severus lowered his head and sighed.

“We're going to have to do his hand last,” Severus said.

“Why? What's wrong?” Poppy asked, looking up from what she was doing.

“Not only are his fingers broken, but some of the bones are crushed. What they did to this child? I haven't a clue.”

“What's the damage?” Poppy asked, walking over to the side of the bed.

“The distal phalanges and the intermediate phalanges are crushed in three of his fingers, and the proximal phalanges are jammed into his metacarpals. It must be done last. It will take more work.”

“All right, I’ll need Skeleton Gro, as I am out in my stores. Oh dear, with his hand is that damaged, we’ll have to start from the beginning.”

“What?”

“We'll have to vanish the bones in his hand and have to grow them over. It'll be painful, but he'll be able to use his hand by tomorrow night.”

“Why am I just hearing about this now?” Severus asked, irritation in his voice.

“Severus.”

“That wasn’t on the list that you gave me the beginning of Summer.”

“Will you calm down,” Poppy said, her tone firm, but not yelling. “I was going to tell you later, but since this is an emergency, seeing as I didn’t expect you to bring Mr. Potter to me needing it. Besides, it is only three weeks into Summer break, meaning that I still have another two months before the students come back which is enough time for you to brew me more potions.”

Severus looked at Poppy and just blinked. He didn’t know why he was feeling the way that he was. Why was he so agitated? He looked down at the child laying on the bed. He didn’t understand what was going. Why was he angry with Poppy? He’s never felt anything like this towards the matron. Why now? How could he be so idiotic and rash to raise his voice at her? Poppy has always stood by him. Just as much as Minerva. Both women have been the best thing that happened to him, and he raises his voice to her.

“Severus.”

He was let out of his musing by a hand on his cheek, lifting his head.

“Get going,” Poppy said. “The faster you get started, the faster you’ll get done, and we can finish. I'll work on his pneumonia. Once you're back, we'll work on his hand.”

Severus nodded, got up and walked to the Infirmary doors.

“Oh, Severus,” Poppy called out before the Potion Master left. “Bring your anti-cruciatius potions as well.”

A dip in his head, let Poppy know that Severus heard her. She was now alone with Potter. She looked down at the child, combing her fingers through his messy hair.

“Rest easy, child,” Poppy said. “We'll get you right as rain again.” 

The matron waved her wand over Harry's chest. Reading Severus' scan gave the basics of what was wrong with Harry. But she was about to do a more detailed scan of his lungs and overall chest to see what the internal damage was.

The Floo flared when the last of the diagnostic scan was completed. Poppy saw Minerva walking out of the hearth.

“How did it go?” Poppy asked, studying the results.

“How is he?” Minerva asked, standing next to Poppy.

“Just like Severus,” Poppy said, lowering the parchment paper to her side, looking at the child.

“I was afraid of that,” Minerva sighed. “Where is Severus?”

“Brewing me some Skeleton Gro. We’re going to have to redo the bones in his hand. The damage is too great.”

Poppy stepped away from Minerva and started getting her salves together that will help with Harry’s pneumonia.

____000____000___000___000

Severus walked down to his lab upset by his behavior towards Poppy. Never had he raised his voice to her. She did not deserve that. Walking to is stores cupboard, he gathered the ingredients that he needed to both potions: Skeleton Gro and a Nerve healer.

The Potions Master worked tirelessly to finish both potions in record time. Being a skilled master, he knew how to cut corners and what would speed up the process. These things he would not teach the dunderheads in this school as to do this it takes precision. No, he retracts that last thought. There is a pair of students that he could show this method to and they would brew it, flawlessly. He smirked a little as he thought of a couple of students and how they came under his tutelage.

Severus ladled both potions in separate phials and left his lab. While he was brewing, he didn’t think about much, only completing his task. Now that he was walking back to the Infirmary, his guilt of how he acted towards Poppy was coming back to the surface. He didn’t know how he would be able to clear things up with her again.

He hated this feeling. He didn’t like the scared “what if” feeling that was eating away at him. All too soon, he walked into the Hospital wing and paused. His mother was sitting on the side of Harry’s bed.

Severus knew how much Poppy and his mother talked. They were best friends. During the earlier part of the adoption, Severus rarely saw them separated. When he was in the hospital wing, recovering from something, be it a foul prank, his father, or a meeting, Minerva and Poppy stayed at his bedside.

He knew he would probably get an earful from both of them before the night was out, waiting until they were through healing Potter before chastising him.

“You’re finished?” Poppy asked, bringing the Potions Master out of his musing.

“Yes.”

“Well, come on,” Poppy said, walking over to Harry’s bed. “Let’s get started.”

Severus sighed as he followed Poppy over to the bed. Severus was so lost in thought that he didn’t see the questioned look from Minerva or the slight shake of Poppy’s head.

“Let me have the phials, Severus. I want you to hold Harry like you did when we set his arm. To make sure that I only remove the bones in his hand, I need for him to be perfectly still. If any part of his forearm is removed, I’ll have to remove the whole thing.”

Severus nodded and sat at the head of the bed. Carefully, he cradled Harry’s head in his hand and lifted the child up, wrapping his arm around the boy to give him support. Poppy sat on the other side of the bed to get a closer view of Harry’s hand. Severus had Harry leaning against his chest, the child’s head buried in the crook of his neck with Severus’ hand on his forehead.

“Okay Severus,” Poppy said. “Try to keep him as still as you can. Once I vanish the bones in his hand, wake him up.”

___000___000___000

After what seemed like what was promising to be an overcast day, the sun started to peak through the clouds, shining down on several areas. The walk was a pleasant one even coming from his gloomy destination. Being around the dark creatures surprisingly didn’t bother him as much as it did many others. He had learned from an early age how to block away from those feelings that trigger the dark creatures to attack. When he was a teenager, he was convicted of a crime that caused him to spend five years in Azkaban. The first year was hard, but he learned to control his emotions. Now, Dementors don’t bother him. While he was in Azkaban, he would hear the cries of other inmates when the dementors would pass by. At first, he would keep his head down when they passed. Soon he got bold when they would come into his cell. He would face them. He would stare into the dark pits that were their eyes, and he would feel nothing. He’s seen several people get Kissed and it didn’t phase him in any way. Some would think that he was dead inside, but it wasn’t true. He just knew how to hide his true feelings. He could show love, compassion, anger, hatred, and being in the presence of a dark succubus that ate away happiness and joy did nothing.

He walked into the small tavern and headed to the back. He had a prearranged meeting, and he was due to give a report as to what happened. He knew that his employer would not be happy learning that his plan had failed, but it wasn’t a total loss.

“Did you do it?”

A hooded person was sitting in the far corner of the nearly deserted tavern. The man sat across from him without answering.

“Well?” The hooded person asked.

“The dementors arrived at Surrey.”

“And?”

“He had help. They were deflected away.”

“Who?”

“I couldn’t see clearly who it was, but I saw the Patronus. A doe.”

____000____0000____0000____000

Again, it took Severus a longer time to release Harry from his grip. He didn’t understand why he felt the need to comfort the child. When he sat behind Harry, he cradled the boy in his arms. Gripping the wrist and extending out Harry’s arm, he tried to keep the child as still as he could. When Harry woke up, he tried to pull away from the firm grip on his wrist but didn’t have the strength.

“Harry, listen to me,” Severus soothed, trying to calm the boy in his arms.

“P’fessor,” Harry whimpered.

“The bones in your hand needs to be regrown.” A sob escaped Harry’s lips. “The damage was too great.”

“Sir,” Harry sobbed.

“Try to stay calm, Harry,” Severus whispered.

“Harry,” Poppy said, sitting down next to Harry on the bed, facing him. “Look at me.”

Harry complied.

“You remember when we had to regrow your arm?”

Harry nodded, slowly.

“This time I don’t want you to spit it out,” Poppy said. There was a small smirk on her face.

“I’s hurt.” Harry’s voice was low, unconsciously leaning back in Severus’ arms.

“Yes, Harry,” Poppy soothed. “It will hurt. I can’t give you anything for it, as I have to monitor the progress of your hand.”

Poppy brought the phial towards Harry’s lips, but before Harry opened his mouth, he turned his head and whispered into Severus’ ear. Minerva and Poppy saw the shocked look on Severus’ face when Harry turned his head back, opening his mouth to take the potion.

The teen shuddered as he drank the viscous liquid went down his throat. A low groan escaped his lips as the potion started to work. Harry wanted to pull his hand away, but the grip that Professor Snape had on his wrist made it impossible. Turning his head towards the crook of Severus’ neck, Harry's shoulders shook as his hand began re-growing the bones.

Unlike Harry’s second year when he had to regrow his entire arm, Poppy had to monitor Harry’s progress. Because of the damage that Harry sustained that caused the injuries to his hand, she had to make sure that the swelling of the muscles and tendons didn’t cause a problem with the bone re-growing process. She waved her wand over the teen’s hand so that she could see the bones regenerate. Once it was finished, she put a salve over his hand to help with the swelling.

They worked on Harry for what seemed like hours, but it was less than thirty minutes. Both Severus and Poppy were sitting at the child's bedside. Poppy sighed as she put Harry’s now wrapped hand on the bed.

“Harry’ll probably sleep for a while,” Poppy said, standing up. “Why don’t we go to my office. I’ll order tea.”

Poppy walked away from the bed. Minerva, who said nothing while they worked on Harry, stood up and walked over to Severus, who was still holding Harry in his arms.

“Come, Severus,” Minerva said, laying her hand on his shoulder. “Tea will calm you.”

Severus looked at his adoptive mother walk into Poppy’s office and sighed. Very slowly he extracted himself from under the teen. Very gently, Severus lowered Harry back on the bed. He looked down at the teen and pondered why he was feeling the way he was. As he walked away from the bed, Severus thought about what Harry whispered in his ear: “Please, don’t leave me.”

Severus stood in the doorway of Poppy’s office and saw both Minerva and Poppy already sipping on their tea, murmuring to each other. Instantly, he felt like he did when he was younger, and they would try to get him to talk about the bruises he came to school with. That feeling only amplified the horrible feeling of how he disrespected Poppy earlier.

“Poppy, I apologize for my behavior earlier,” Severus said.

“Nothing to apologize for,” Poppy said, sipping her tea. “Come, sit,” waving her hand at the empty chair across from the two witches.

“What’s going on?” Minerva said looking from the matron to her son.

“Nothing that needs repeating,” Poppy said, looking at Severus. “It’s fine.”

Severus sat down, and Poppy handed him a cup of tea. Poppy knew that Severus was beating himself up about what happened earlier. Even though Severus doesn’t ordinarily show emotion, she along with Minerva could always see when something was bothering him. It broke her heart when Severus was younger, and he came into the Infirmary broken and bruised. Minerva may have legally adopted Severus it didn’t mean that Poppy didn’t see Severus as her own, too.

“So,” Minerva said, bringing Poppy out of her thoughts. “What are we going to do about Harry?”

Poppy sighed as she remembered Minerva asking the same thing about Severus.

To be continued...
Chapter 4: Nightmares by mandancie
Author's Notes:
I know I've been scarce for a while. Good news, I finished school. I have a bachelor's in creative writing. Bad news my health has been on the decline.

Chapter Four

Harry was pinned to the wall. Dudley and his friends caught up with him. Two of the boys had his arms raised above his head. Dudley was screaming something derogative to him while the others laughed. The other boys were punching Harry in his sides or stomach. With his hands pinned over his head, there was no way he could block the blows.

Harry just closed his eyes, wishing the torment would be over. He felt something get close to his face. When he opened his eyes, he saw Piers standing close to him. He didn’t like him. Piers made him feel uncomfortable with all the lewd comments and gestures. Piers got closer. Harry tried to move further back, but he couldn’t since he was standing against the wall. Pier’s body was leaning on Harry’s.

Harry closed his eyes tightly.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOU FREAK!”

Harry opened his eyes and saw he wasn’t standing with Dudley and his gang of friends. He was in the kitchen, standing in front of the sink. Harry looked down and saw that his hands were in the soapy water. He felt around the water and found the towel he was using.

“DID YOU NOT HEAR ME!”

Harry turned slightly so as not to drip water on the floor.

“Sorry, Uncle Vernon.”

“You pathetic waste of space,” Vernon sneered. “You can’t seem to do anything right. Hurry up with those dishes so that you can get to your room. I have guests tonight, and I don’t want to hear a word from you.”

“Yes, Uncle Vernon.” Harry turned back to the sink and finished the dishes as fast as he could.

Once he was done, not wanting to get in more trouble with his uncle, Harry ran upstairs to his room. When he walked into his room, the thought of being quiet left his mind when he saw what was in his room.

Jumping up and down on the bed was a small being, he later learned was a house-elf. After several tries of calming down the elf, it made so much noise that Uncle Vernon came to his room several times.

After a while, the elf left, and Harry tried to salvage the rest of his time in the room, hoping that now that there was no noise coming from his room that Uncle Vernon wouldn’t be upset. That didn’t go as planned either.

Harry could hear footsteps coming up the stairs. Harry was lying in bed, hoping that they would go to their rooms and leave him alone. Again, no such luck.

The door was pushed open with so much force he slammed into the adjacent wall. Harry quickly sat up in bed. Seeing the anger on his uncle’s face, made Harry slide back against the wall, pulling his knees to his chest.

“I told you to be quiet,” Vernon sneered.

“I’m sorry, Uncle Vernon,” Harry said softly.

“You’re always, sorry,” Vernon said, pulling his belt out of the loops of his pants.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. Please, Uncle Vernon, don’t. I’ll be good. It wasn’t my fault. I promise I’ll be better,” Harry whimpered, sliding to the corner of his bed, against the wall. He was trying to get to the furthest part away from his uncle.

Vernon reached out and grabbed Harry’s ankle, pulling him to the middle of the bed.

“NO,” Harry screamed. He tried to move again before he felt the sting of the belt, but he couldn’t move fast enough.

The belt came down more and more. Harry curled into a ball, wrapping his arms around his head.

___000___000___000

Severus, Minerva, and Poppy were in Poppy’s office drinking tea. Minerva and Poppy were talking. Severus was lost in thought when he heard a low moan. He turned his head towards the door to the office.

“What is it, Severus?” Minerva asked.

“Shh,” Severus said, standing up and putting his teacup on Poppy’s desk.

There was another moan — louder this time. Severus walked out of the office and to the only other person in the infirmary.

Severus saw that Harry was in the midst of a nightmare. Severus walked over to Harry’s bed and carefully sat down so as not to move his arms too much. Severus looked down at the child lying on the bed and could see tears streaming down his closed eyelids.

Severus didn’t know why looking at this boy in his weakened state was tugging at his heart. This was James Potter’s son. Potter was a spoiled brat whose relatives spoiled him and catered to his every need. Even as he thought of that, after everything that he’s seen in the past three hours, Severus knew that wasn’t true. Really looking at this boy, this child, that’s what he was a small child.

Severus pulled out his handkerchief from his back pocket and wiped the tears from Harry’s face. Very carefully, he put his hands under Harry’s head and lifted the child to a sitting position. Severus moved to sit behind Harry like he did when they fixed his shoulder and hand. He laid Harry’s head against his shoulder and wrapped his arms around him.

Leaning down so that his mouth was close to Harry’s ear, Severus started whispering in his ear.

“It’s only a dream. You’re safe now. It’s okay.”

Harry’s rapid breathing calmed a little, and he seemed to relax in Severus’ arms.

Minerva and Poppy watched from Poppy’s office. The longer Harry was in Severus’ arms, the angrier Minerva was getting. She needed answers. And there was only one person who could give them to her.

“Stay with them,” Minerva said, quietly to Poppy.

“Where are you going?” Poppy asked.

“To see Albus,” Minerva said, turning and leaving the Infirmary.

Poppy watched Minerva leave and then turned back to Harry and Severus on the bed. Never did she think Severus would take such a nurturing attitude with Harry. For four years, Severus complained almost non-stop about how Harry was always getting away with things. That Albus was showing favoritism towards Harry. Poppy didn’t forget how Severus ranted and raved about the first year when Albus gave the “Terror Trio,” as he referred to them, points to make it guaranteed that the Gryffindors won the House Cup.

Poppy walked closer to where Severus and Harry were. Severus was lying Harry back down on the bed.

“You know, Severus, I never took you for caring for Harry,” Poppy teased.

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” Severus said, looking up at Poppy from his seated position on the bed.

“You held and cuddled Harry until he calmed down.”

Severus stood up. “I do not cuddle anyone. Especially not Potter.” Severus walked away from the bed and headed towards the Infirmary doors.

“It’s nothing to be ashamed about,” Poppy said, watching Severus leave.

Severus stopped just inches from the door. He quickly turned and looked at the matron.

“If mother asks for me, tell her I’ll be in my lab,” Severus said, coolly. Then turned and walked out of the door.

Poppy softly laughed. She loved teasing Severus. He makes it so easy sometimes. She then turned to her patient to see how he was doing. She ran her fingers through his hair.

“You’ll be fine, Harry,” Poppy whispered. “You now have a formidable ally in your corner. Even if he doesn’t know it yet.”

____0000_____0000_____0000

Minerva was upset. No, she was mad. She didn’t understand what Albus could have been thinking. She begged him not to let Harry stay with those muggles. She saw how they acted. She saw how the neighbors reacted to them. She remembered how Lily would sit in her office, crying because of what her sister said while she was on break. Minerva knew that Petunia Evans did not like witches and wizards. Minerva pleaded with Albus to leave Harry with someone else. But he wouldn’t hear of it.

The walk to Albus’ office was actually a little therapeutic. She didn’t want to react the same way that she reacted when she found out about Severus. The damage was immense. She was furious when she left the Infirmary, but now she had a clearer head, and she knew that she could better present her case about both Harry and Arabella to him.

When she walked to the gargoyle standing post in front of the staircase, she looked at it, the stairs appeared behind the statue, and the stone statue moved out of the way. Smirking, Minerva ascended the staircase and walked in the door.

“Why Minerva,” Albus said, sitting behind his desk. “What do I owe the pleasure of your company?” Albus sat back in his seat, folding his hands over his chest.

Minerva walked over to one of the plush chairs across from Albus’ desk and sat down.

“Albus,” Minerva said, quietly. “Something has come to my attention, and I would like your opinion on it.”

“Why, of course, Minerva.”

“Harry Potter.”

“What about him?”

“I just have one question for you,” Minerva said, looking down at her hands.

“I’ll try to answer if I can.”

“Why?”

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 5: Unpleasant Conversations by mandancie

Draco laid on his bed. It was only the third week of the summer holiday, and nothing seemed to be going right. When he got home, he was shocked to see how many people were now living in the house. He was happy that he still had his room but didn’t like the quiet that was now gone.

As Draco looked up at the ceiling, one thing that kept running through his mind was that he missed his Uncle Severus. He never understood why Severus just stop sending for him. He used to love staying with him and his Aunt Minnie. It was the best three weeks of his life. He was never expected to be something he was not. He could be a kid.

Now, there’s no more Uncle Severus. It’s only Professor Snape. Draco still got choked up when he remembered when it was solidified.

Draco couldn’t wait until the feast was over. He wanted to talk to his Uncle. He tried to get his attention beforehand, but Severus never looked at him. When it was for everyone to go to their respective houses, Draco snuck away from the others. He knew that Uncle Severus would be in his office the night before classes began.

Draco walked to the door and knocked.

“Enter.”

Draco opened up the door and slid in. “Hi, Uncle Severus.”

Severus looked up from what he was doing and raised his eyebrow at the child standing in front of him.

“What can I do for you, Mr. Malfoy?” Severus said.

Mr. Malfoy? Draco couldn’t understand why Severus was so cold.

“I do not have time to chitchat, Mr. Malfoy, so whatever you have on your mind, please out with it,” Severus said, picking up his quill and began writing again.

“Why couldn’t I come over this summer?” Draco asked.

Severus put the quill back in the holder and folded his hands in front of him. He looked at Draco with no emotion showing on his face.

“That won’t be happening again,” Severus said, coolly. “And it is no longer Uncle Severus. You will address me properly. Now, if there is nothing else, it is getting late, and you have a busy schedule tomorrow. And I will not allow the excuse that you are too tired to do anything. So, I suggest you head back to your dormitory.”

Draco was dumbstruck. He didn’t know what just happened. One minute his godfather loved him; now it seems that he hated him. Draco tried to think back to what he could have done to make his godfather hate him so much. He wanted to scream. He wanted to cry. He wanted to run up to his godfather and get one of the comforting hugs that he used to get. And Uncle Severus would say “Everything will be alright.” Now it’s all gone.

“Goodnight, Mr. Malfoy.”

Severus’ voice brought Draco out of his musing. He turned and walked out of Professor Snape’s office. The tears didn’t start falling until he got into bed.

A knock on the door got Draco out of his head. When he sat up, he realized that he had been crying. Going to his ensuite bathroom, he washed his face and went to see who knocked.

“Yes,” Draco said, opening the door.

“Young master,” Tippy the house-elf said. “Your father wants you to come to the library.” She popped away.

Tippy was one of the newer acquired elves. After Dobby disappeared, his father bought three more house-elves. Tippy was the more timid of the three. She refused to pop in the room. She would only knock on the door if she was needed or was delivering a message.

Draco closed his door and headed to the library. When he walked into the room, his father wasn’t there. There were two large chairs facing the fireplace.

“Come closer young Malfoy.”

Hearing that voice made a shiver go down his spine. There was only one person who had that voice, and he didn’t want to be in the same room with him. Especially alone.

Draco carefully walked towards the chairs.

“Do sit down.” a pale hand came from the front of the chair, pointing to the other seat.

Draco took a deep breath and walked over to the chair. Sitting down, he saw the Dark Lord sitting next to him.

“I have a mission for you,” Voldemort said.

“Yes, sir,” Draco said.

“You will address me as ‘my Lord.’ You will be one of my Death Eaters. You must show respect.”

“Yes, my Lord,” Draco quickly corrected.

“Can I count on you?” Voldemort asked.

“Yes, my Lord,” Draco said. Even if he didn’t want to do it, he knew it wasn’t stupid enough to say no to Lord Voldemort.

“Very good.” Voldemort smiled, leaning back against the back of the chair. “I knew I could count on you. You will not disappoint me as others have. You will receive my instructions soon. You may go.”

Draco didn’t have to be told twice. He got out of that room as quickly as he could.

___0000____0000____0000

“I’m not sure I understand,” Albus said.

“You know I was against Harry staying with his relatives,” Minerva started.

“Minerva, dear, I’ve explained many times why Harry must be with his relatives,” Albus said, cutting her off.

“Yes, you did,” Minerva agreed. “But what I wasn’t going to stand for was them mistreating him.”

“What are you talking about? I feel that you are not clear.” Albus sitting back in his chair.

“All right, let me spell it out for you. Harry is being bullied and neglected by his relatives.”

“Come now, Minerva, surely you’re exaggerating,” Albus said with a little smile on his face. “Harry is fine. We’ll see him in the Fall, and he will be fit and healthy.”

Minerva nodded, leaning to the side to pull a piece of parchment out of her pocket and putting it on Albus’ desk.

“What’s this?” Albus asked, reaching for the parchment.

Minerva said nothing. She just looked at Albus.

Albus read the parchment. The twinkle in his eyes dulled. The small smile he had gone away. Minerva could almost see that Albus went a little pale.

“As you can see,” Minerva stated. “Harry is far from fit and healthy.”

Albus looked down at the bottom of the parchment to see who performed it, and his hands seemed to have tightened a bit when he saw the name.

“You knew I placed Arabella with Harry to watch him. What I am wondering is, why did you change from what I asked her to do?”

“Minerva,” Albus’ tone was soft, “you were so worried about Harry, so I had her watching the house for anything that would be a problem for Harry.”

“That was the point of your blood wards. To keep people that wanted to cause harm to Harry or his relatives.” Minerva got up and started pacing. “Now, I’m trying to keep my temper as you can see,” waving her hand in the direction of the parchment, “Harry was far from not being harmed. Some of those injuries were years old.”

“Do calm down, dear,” Albus said, waving his hand to protect his trinkets.

Minerva stopped pacing and turned to face Albus, her eyebrow arched. “Calm down. Calm down,” Her voice getting louder and louder. “This is Severus all over again.”

“Now, now, Minerva, it isn’t that bad,” Albus soothed.

“Do not think that just because you have protection over you little trinkets that I will not destroy you or your things. Harry is not going back to those people.”

“Now, Minerva—,” Albus started.

“He’s not going back,” Minerva said, enunciating her words. “Good day, Albus.”

Minerva walked out of Albus’ office. Albus watched her leave and then looked back down at the medical report of Harry. Looking down at the bottom, seeing Severus’ name was troubling. He needed to talk with his Potion Master. A walk down to the dungeons sounded like a good idea.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 6: Unpleasant Conversations Cont by mandancie

After leaving Albus’ office, Minerva was still upset. She pleaded with Albus not to leave Harry with those muggles. “They are the worse sort of muggles.” She walked into her chambers. She looked at the papers that were still on her desk. Looking at them, she couldn’t even feel that she could even continue. Her mind was in the past. She remembered how it was when she found Severus. It was so long ago, but right now, it feels like it was only yesterday.

"Mr. Snape."

Severus put his head down. He really didn't want to talk. Not now. He decided to act like he didn't hear his name being called.

"Severus Snape," Minerva said. "You will stop right now and face me." Her voice was low but stern.

Severus took a shaky breath and turned and faced his Professor. When he turned and faced his professor, he heard her gasp. His ears began to burn with embarrassment. She was the last person that he wanted to see him like this. He knew he looked bad. His dad did not care where he hit him, so his face was bruised, badly.

Minerva knew when she didn't see Severus walk in with the others that it was worse than she feared. She had warned Albus that he should not return to his father over the summer, but as always, Albus would not listen. She walked up to the boy who had stolen her heart. She always worried about Severus. She didn't like that he was a loner. She was happy that he and Lily were at least friends.

"Severus," Minerva's voice was much softer. "Come, let's let Poppy look you over."

"Please," Severus begged. "Just let me do it myself. I don't want anyone else to see."

Minerva walked up to Severus and put her arms around his shoulders and brought him to an embrace. Severus gasped in pain but laid his head on Minerva’s shoulder. Minerva heard Severus gasp and lightened her hold on him. In her heart, she wanted to squeeze him tightly so he would know that he was not alone.

As much pain as he was in, and as much as he didn't feel that he deserved her care, right now, he could care less. He missed Minnie this past summer. Minnie, Severus could call her that since his second year, but only when they were alone. Oh, did he miss these hugs. Minerva just stood there and held Severus for as long as he needed it. After a minute, Minerva held Severus out at arm’s length. With one hand still on his shoulder, Minerva cupped Severus' cheek softly and lifted it so that he was now looking at her.

"Severus," Minerva said. "It will be fine. I promise."

With great trepidation, Severus allowed himself to be led to the Infirmary. Walking all the way there seemed to take no time at all. Severus did not want to face the medi-witch. He just wanted to heal himself and forget that this summer ever happened. The last thing he wanted was for her to run a diagnostic on him, which he knew she was going to do.

They walked into the Infirmary, and Minerva led Severus to the far bed at the end of the hospital wing.

"Poppy," Minerva called out. She felt Severus tense up. She gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze. They got to the bed, and she sat Severus down on the bed. Not once did Severus look up. He was too ashamed.

Poppy walked out of her office when Severus and Minerva were walking to the end of the wing. When he sat down, she was already there with her wand out.

Minerva sat down in one of her chairs and looked at the flames. Never did she want to see another child go through what her son went through. Now it seems that history is repeating itself.

“Oh, Harry,” Minerva sighed.

___000___000___000___000

Albus walked down to the dungeon. His feelings towards his potions master were dicey at best. Deep down he didn’t truly trust Severus. He has done too many awful things. But Albus is determined to get Severus to see his point of view.

Opening the door to the potion’s lab, Albus walked in.

Severus was working on a more aggressive version of the pain reliever for Potter. He knew Harry was going to be in pain for a while. He was having to regrow everything in his hand as well as the pain of popping his shoulder back in place. Severus could still hear the popping noise in his head.

Shaking his head, he rid himself of that sound so that he could concentrate on what he was doing. He heard the door open. His hands froze on the dicing of the monkshood.

“Severus,” Albus said.

Severus closed his eyes, lowered his knife, but did not turn towards the Headmaster.

Not waiting for Severus to acknowledge him, Albus continued. “I heard you took a trip to Little Whining.”

Severus said nothing.

“You went to see about Harry,” Albus said, leaning against the table, facing the door, next to Severus.

Severus side-glanced Albus. “I was asked by Minerva to check on Harry.”

“I see,” Albus replied. “And what gave you the right to take him from his family?”

Severus turned to face Albus. “He was badly beaten. He was attacked by two Dementors.”

“Dementors? Absurd,” Albus said.

“I had to cast them away,” Severus said. “When I got to Harry, he was unconscious.”

“Harry?” Albus asked. “What’s changed?”

“Nothing,” Severus said quickly.

“Calling him Harry, I think it has,” Albus said.

“Nothing’s changed,” Severus said, turning back to preparing the ingredient in front of him.

“Well,” Albus said, stepping away from the table. “If nothing’s changed, then take Harry back to his relatives. He needs to stay with them for at least a month to keep the blood wards intact.”

Severus turned and looked at the Headmaster.

“Harry cannot stay here.”

Albus walked to the door. Severus sighed.

“Do not disappoint me, Severus. I’d hate to have to expose you.”

Albus walked out of the lab. Severus looked down at the potion he was working on.

His past. His past was coming back to haunt him. He was so stupid to do it. Severus hated that the Headmaster had this over him. He wished he was strong enough to stand up to the Headmaster. But he couldn’t. He was a coward.

Harry needed this potion, so he went back to it. Harry. How could he let himself slip like that? He couldn’t understand why his feeling towards Potter was changing.  

There was a noise coming from his quarters. He knew it was either his mother or Poppy. He loved both of those women. They showed him love when no one else did. They took care of him when he was at his worst.

Poppy walked into the lab.

“Severus,” Poppy said once she walked in. “How’s it coming?”

“I should be finished in a bit. I’ll send it up when I’m done.” Severus said, putting the last ingredient in the cauldron and stirring. Once he stirred the correct amount, he pulled the stirrer out and laid it on the table.

Poppy watched Severus and then walked over to him.

“Severus,” Poppy said, putting her hand on his shoulder. “What’s wrong?”

Severus turned and looked at Poppy.

“How can you tell something’s wrong?”

“You can’t hide anything from me, Severus Tobias,” Poppy said, smirking.

“You worry too much,” Severus said, walking over to Poppy and kissing her on her cheek.

“Well, you give me a lot to worry about,” Poppy said, looping her arm with Severus. “How much longer on the potion?”

“It has to cool before I can put them in phials,” Severus said. “Let’s have some tea.”

“We’ll go to your mother,” Poppy said. “She left out of the Infirmary and didn’t come back. I’m assuming Albus said something that upset her.”

Severus said nothing.

The two of them walked to the fireplace in Severus’ chambers and flooed to Minerva’s chambers. Minerva was pacing back and forth.

“I take it he’s pissed you off,” Poppy said, stepping away from Severus.

“Albus is a fool,” Minerva said, shaking her head. “He doesn’t see the damage it is causing Harry keeping him in that situation. It’s history repeating itself.”

“Mother, I was never this bad,” Severus said, sitting down in one of the long-back chairs.

“Don’t you dare lie to me, Severus Snape,” Minerva said. “I remember how bad you looked when you came to school that day.”

“Mother,” Severus sighed.

“Minerva, we will not let it get that bad,” Poppy said, sitting on the small sofa adjacent to the chairs. “We have him. We’ll take care of him.”

____0000____0000____0000

Albus walked in the Infirmary and saw Harry lying in bed. He walked over to the bed and sat down on the end of it.

Harry stirred when he felt the bed sink down. A small part of him hoped it was his Professor coming to see him. He couldn’t understand why he felt so comfortable with the Potion professor, but he was with him during the hardest time. He remembered the strong embrace that was holding him when his shoulder was popped back into place. Even when he begged for the Professor to stay with him, he assured Harry that he would not leave him.

Harry opened his eyes and was surprised he didn’t see a blur of black but of multi-colors.

“Harry, my boy,” Albus said.

Harry’s eyes closed. “Professor Dumbledore,” Harry said quietly.

“How are you feeling, my boy?”

“Tired,” Harry answered.

“Can you tell me what happened?” Albus asked.

Harry opened his eyes and looked in the direction of the Headmaster.

“My cousin and his friends attacked me,” Harry said.

“Was there something that provoked the attack? Did you do something that they probably misunderstood?”

Harry couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Professor Dumbledore was blaming him for this. He didn’t do anything. He never did anything.

“Now, Harry,” Albus said. “Once you are released from here, you are going to have to go back to your relatives. I want you to try and get along with them. You are only safe with them. Do you understand?”

This couldn’t be happening. Harry turned his head away from the Headmaster. Yeah, he understood all too well.

“Yes, sir,” Harry mumbled.

“Wonderful,” Albus said, patting Harry on his arm. “I’ll see you at the opening feast.”

Albus got up and left the Infirmary. Five minutes later, Severus walked into the infirmary.

___000___000____0000___000

Severus was sitting with Poppy and Minerva when there was a feeling of dread. He didn’t know where it was coming from, but he knew he needed to find out. Poppy and Minerva were talking to each other.

“Mother,” Severus said, interrupting their conversation. “I must leave. I’ll be back later.”

Minerva nodded and watched her son leave her chambers.

Severus walked blindly to where he knew he needed to go. When he got to the hallway were the Infirmary was, he saw the Headmaster walking out of there, heading to his office. Severus waited until he was gone before coming to the Infirmary.

When Severus walked into the Infirmary, he saw Harry was curled up. Severus walked over to the bed and sat down on the bed next to Harry.

“Potter,” Severus said.

Harry didn’t move but looked up at the Potion Professor. Severus could see that the boy’s eyes were red-rimmed.

“Do I really have to go back?” Harry asked. His voice was no louder than a whisper.

“I’m sorry, Harry,” Severus said, tilting his head, looking at Harry. “It’s out of my hands.”

“Please,” Harry begged.

Severus looked at the small boy who, for some reason has crawled into his once stony heart. Never did he think that a small plea from James’ son would affect him like this.

___0000____0000____0000____000

“Okay, Minerva,” Poppy said, standing up. “I need to get back to the infirmary. It’s about time to give Harry his next dose.”

“Alright,” Minerva said. “I’ll come and see him a little later.”

Poppy walked out of her best friend’s chambers and headed to the Infirmary. It was a short walk. When she opened the door, she was greeted with a horrible surprise. All the beds were empty.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 7: Finding Help by mandancie

The beds were empty. Poppy walked over to the bed that Harry was in and saw that the thin cover that was over the boy was draped over the edge as if it was tossed aside. The empty phials were still on the bedside table.

Poppy turned and rushed into her office and lit a fire. She threw a pinch of Floo powder into the flames. “Minerva!”

Minerva’s face appeared in the flames. She saw the panicked look on Poppy’s face.

“Poppy,” Minerva said. “What’s wrong?”

“Harry’s missing,” Poppy cried.

___0000____0000____0000

Albus walked to the Astronomy tower and stood at the edge. It was a pleasant day. The sun was shining. There wasn’t a cloud in the ski. Albus took a deep breath and slowly let it out. Apparating out of the castle, Albus landed outside Hog’s Head Tavern. Walking inside, Albus sat down at a table that was in the corner out of the way.

Someone placed a mug harshly in front of Albus. He looked up and saw his older brother standing in front of him.

“What are you doing here, Albus?” Aberforth growled.

“I just came to talk,” Albus said.

“I told you I don’t want to see you again,” Aberforth said, sitting down across from Albus. “Why are you here?”

“I just wanted to see you,” Albus said, innocently.

“That’s a load of crap,” Aberforth mused. “You don’t just come down from your high mountain unless it’s the last resort. You want something. What is it?”

“Just to talk,” Albus said, pulling the mug closer towards him.

“So, talk,” Aberforth said, leaning back in his chair, folding his arms across his chest.

___000____0000____000____000

Severus apparated to his family house in Spinner’s End. His bundle that he was carrying in his arm did not stir. He looked down at his bundle then walked towards the stairs. It wasn’t the ideal place, but at least he would be safe here for a few days. Or at least long enough for Severus to make other plans.

Severus walked into his old room. There was a threadbare bed in the corner. It was old, but it will do for now. Lowering his bundle on the bed, he started to pull his robe from around the bundle.

Harry was still asleep. Severus knew that Harry was still in pain. It was better for both if Harry was asleep when he was moved instead of feeling the jarring from the apparation or Severus just walking.

Severus looked at Harry’s shoulder and felt to make sure that it was still in place. Harry’s shoulder was still sound, so Severus was happy about that. He knew he still needed the potion he brewed that was still in his laboratory at Hogwarts. He could make another batch here, but he wasn’t sure if he had everything in his stores here to make it again.

Taking a chance, Severus decided on what he would do. He would call on his mother’s house-elf to get what he needed.

“Tami,” Severus called out.

There was a small pop, and an elf stood in front of Severus. Severus was never one to use the house-elves much. He felt that he could do most of what he needed by himself. Very rarely did he take advantage of their use. His mother’s elf was the only one that Severus could tolerate. Tami didn’t feel the need to use self-harm if she felt there was a misunderstanding. Minerva didn’t allow self-harming with her elves. She would explain what she expected and required her elves to follow her orders to the letter. After a very stressful time for Severus, Minerva secretly bonded Tami to him.

“Master Sev’us,” Tami said when she popped in front of him.

“I need you to do something for me,” Severus said to the elf.

“Yes, sir,” Tami said.

“In my lab, at school, there is a potion on my table. I need you to bottle two phials of the potion and bring it to me,” Severus ordered.

“Yes, Master Sev’us,” Tami said, popping away.

Seconds later, Tami popped back in front of Severus, handing him the two phials.

“Thank you, Tami,” Severus said, pocketing the phials. “I have one more thing.”

“Yes, sir.”

“This may seem like a hard order, but I must ask you to follow it to the letter,” Severus said.

“Yes, sir.”

“Do not tell anyone where I am or who is with me,” Severus said. “Do you understand?”

“I understand, Master Sev’us,” Tami said.

“Very good,” Severus praised. “You can go.”

Tami popped out of the room. Severus turned his attention back to Harry.

Moving a strand of hair from Harry’s face, “I’ve got to find a safe place for you,” Severus said.

___000____0000____0000____000

Minerva ran to the Infirmary as fast as she could. She couldn’t believe what she heard. Harry was missing. The doors to the Infirmary slammed to the adjacent walls with a loud noise. Poppy turned to see Minerva walking over to her.

“Is there any sign of where Harry is?” Minerva asked.

“Nothing,” Poppy sighed. “I don’t understand. Who would take Harry? Why?”

“There’s only one person I can think of,” Minerva snarled.

Poppy turned and faced her friend. “Albus wouldn’t, would he?”

“I wouldn’t put it past him,” Minerva seethed. She turned and rushed out of the Infirmary. Poppy followed.

It didn’t take long for Minerva to reach the gargoyle.

“Move,” Minerva ordered.

“Minerva,” Poppy said.

“He’s not here,” the gargoyle said.

“I will not ask again,” Minerva said, pulling out her wand.

“Headmaster is not here,” the gargoyle said again.

Minerva pointed her wand at the gargoyle. It instantly moved. Poppy looked at Minerva with astonishment, and Minerva slightly shrugged her shoulder.

Both went up the spiral stairs. Minerva opened the door and stopped just inside. Poppy stopped short and stepped to her best friends.

The office was empty.

____0000____0000____0000

Two people walked down the empty street. One was a tall, burly man with long stringing hair. His clothes were tight on his shoulders with it opened in the front. He had a slight growl when he walked. His companion was considerably shorter than the man. She had a swing in her walk that showed she was someone to be feared and didn’t mind showing it. Her face was hard to see in the night streetlights as she wore a hooded cloak.

The two entered Hog Head’s Tavern. It was a desolate place. Only a few patrons were scattered throughout the room.

“Over here,” a gravelly voice called from the back corner.

The two looked at each other and walked over to the back corner of the tavern.

“Please, sit.”

“Who are you?” the woman said, removing the hood of her cloak.

With the light now in their faces, the person at the table could see who was in front of them. Bellatrix Lestrange and Fenrir Greyback.

“Bellatrix and Fenrir, please,” the person said again. “Sit.”

Bellatrix and Fenrir sat across the person.

“You know who we are,” Bellatrix snarled. “Who are you?”

“Let just say, I’m your fairy godmother,” the person said.

“Okay, fairy godmother,” Bellatrix said. “Why are we here?”

“I wanted to give you a gift.”

“And what gift is that?” Bellatrix asked, leaning back in her chair.

“One of the light’s most feared matriarchs,” the person said.

“Who?” Fenrir growled, speaking for the first time.

“Minerva McGonagall.”

____0000____0000____0000

Severus looked down at the child lying on the bed.

Where was he going to find help?

Severus knew he couldn’t go to his mother. It would just put her in danger. He took a huge risk taking Harry out of Hogwarts. He just couldn’t in good conscious leave Potter in the hands of his relatives. He lived that kind of abuse. No child should have to live through that.

Severus leaned back at the head of the bed. Harry was lying beside him on the bed.

The Weasleys. They would help take care of Harry. But the sheer number of children that were there would be putting a target on their backs. Even with their oldest being a curse breaker and the second working with Dragons, Severus couldn’t bring this to their doorstep.

Madam Augusta Longbottom. She is a formidable witch and can handle whatever comes her way. She still has her grandson to look after. Neville has been a skittish pupil in his class, but Severus has watched him in Herbology. He noticed that the boy had a knack for plants. Neville, Severus thought, will grow into his own and would make a formidable wizard just like his grandmother.

The wolf: Remus Lupin. Knowing if Severus asked Lupin, the mutt will come with him. Lupin not having pressing matters to handle because of being a werewolf would be a plus. Black still being an escaped prisoner could truly keep an eye on Harry. Outside of not wanting to deal with either of them, Lupin and Black were the perfect people to help with Harry. No family. Kept isolated. As much as Severus hated to admit it, they were the best choice. Though, it was a risk that they would still go to Dumbledore. But it was a risk he was going to have to take.

Looking down at the child next to him, Severus swallowed his pride and got up and sat at the rickety desk. Pulling out a piece of parchment and quill, Severus wrote out a letter to Remus Lupin.

Remus Lupin

I know I am probably the last person you would expect to hear from, but something has happened that causes me to send out an olive branch. I know that I am the last person you would want to talk to. So, first off, I would like to offer my apology for the way I was two years ago. Old grudges.

The reason for this message is about Harry Potter. He needs a safe place to stay. For reasons that I cannot get into without his consent, know that he is not safe with his relatives or Dumbledore. Harry is currently with me, but is not safe to stay here.

The favor that I need to ask of you is the only place that I know of that Harry can be remotely safe is with you and Sirius Black. I know that you both care for Harry. I want to make sure that Harry is safe.

Please send a reply with your answer.

Severus Snape

Severus rolled the parchment and put it in the inside pocket of his coat. He walked over to the bed and checked to see how Harry was doing.

Severus didn’t like the house. He grew up in this house. There were too many bad memories in this house. The only reason he kept it was to use the lab he built in the basement. Severus could work on more dangerous potions in the privacy of the house without worrying that someone would sneak in or accidentally get hurt.

Having Harry here was not ideal, but it was just a pitstop before the first hideout.

An apparation pop brought Severus out of his musing. He turned and saw that Tami returned with the phials in her hand.

“Here you go, Master Sev’us,” Tami said, holding out her hands.

“Thank you, Tami,” Severus said, pocketing the phials. “Remember, do not tell anyone that you’ve seen Potter or me.”

“I won’t Master Sev’us,” Tami said before apparating away.

Severus walked over to Harry and saw that the boy was trying to wake up.

“Harry,” Severus said, sitting down on the bed next to the child.

“P’fessor,” Harry slurred. “Where are we?” Harry turned his head to try to see his surroundings.

“Harry,” Severus said softly. “I need to give you a potion that will help with the pain and hasten your recovery.”

Harry slowly blinked at the Potion Master. Without prompting, Harry opened his mouth so that Severus could pour the right amount of the potion in his mouth. Severus was surprised at the trust Harry was giving him. He didn’t ask what the potion was. He just took it.

After Harry swallowed the potion, making a face at the taste, Harry looked at his Potions Professor, saying, weakly, “Thank you.”

Harry’s eyes closed again and fell asleep. Severus wrapped Harry back in the robe, casting another feather-weight charm over the boy. Carefully picking Harry up, Severus apparated out of his childhood home, landing to his unplottable home.

0000_____0000____0000____000

Minerva and Poppy walked back down the spiral stairs. Minerva shook her head. She couldn’t believe he did it. Why would Albus take Harry back to that house? Both witches were quiet as they walked down the corridor.

When they got to the staircase, both women saw Albus walking up the stairs.

“Albus,” Minerva screeched. “How could you?”

Albus looked up at his Deputy Headmistress, eyes furrowed.

“How could I what, Minerva?” Albus said, stopping on the step he was on.

“You took Harry back to those vile people,” Poppy said.

“Now ladies,” Albus placated.

“Don’t,” Minerva said, cutting Albus off. “Don’t do that. Why would you sentence Harry to that kind of abuse?”

“Minerva, dear,” Albus said, calmly. “I didn’t take Harry back to his relatives. You said you didn’t want Harry to go back, so I left it alone.”

“He’s not here,” Minerva growled.

“Who’s not here?” Albus asked.

“Harry.”

“Well, I didn’t take him,” Albus said, raising his hands. “Have you asked Severus?”

“Severus,” Poppy said. “Why would Severus know?”

“You know Severus doesn’t like Harry,” Albus said, climbing the stairs again. “He’s always said that Harry was a spoiled brat that grew up pampered.”

Albus walked past a stunned Minerva and Poppy.

“Maybe you should talk to him about where Harry is,” Albus said, turning down the corridor to his chambers.   

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 8: Standing Alone by mandancie

Harry opened his eyes. Looking around, he knew he wasn’t in the Infirmary anymore. The light was dim. Harry wondered where he was. He tried to sit up, but any kind of movement with his shoulder sent fiery pain shooting from his fingers to his chest. Harry hissed in pain.

“You’re awake.”

“Professor?” Harry looked over to where the voice was. “Professor, where am I?”

Severus walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge of it.

“For safety reasons, I had to remove you from Hogwarts.”

“What’s going on?” Harry said in a panic. “Where am I?”

“Potter,” Severus said. “Calm down. You’re safe. You are in my house.”

“Your house? Why?”

“How did you get hurt?” Severus asked ignoring, Harry’s questions.

“You know,” Harry said, looking up at the ceiling. “Why do you care?”

“I care because no one should be treated like that,” Severus said.

Harry shivered at the severity of the Potion Professor’s tone.

“Let’s go about this another way, Potter,” Severus said. “Who were those boys chasing you?”

Harry looked down at the black blur sitting next to him. “You were there?”

“I arrived when I saw you were running, but yes, I was there.”

“Well then, you know what happened,” Harry said bitterly. “What? You believe that I deserve it. I’m just a spoiled brat that seeks out attention.”

Once again, Harry tried to sit up, but Severus put his hand on his chest, preventing him from getting up.

“Let me go,” Harry yelled.

“You are in no condition to get up. Your shoulder is still healing. Even though the bones in your hand are back, there is still some swelling that must go down before you get full use of your hand. Poppy got the fluid out of your lungs, but you still need to rest to recuperate from your pneumonia.”

“Why do you care?” Harry sighed. “I’m going back to my relatives. It’s just going to be worse.”

“Why do you think you’re here?” Severus asked. Harry looked over at Severus. “I refuse to let you suffer another day with those vile creatures.”

The idea of not having to go back even for a couple of months brought tears to Harry’s eyes. Now he didn’t care if he was with the most hated professor in the school. He didn’t have to go back. Harry felt a lump in his throat. He tried to swallow it down; the last thing he wanted was to cry in front of his Potions Professor.

“And besides,” Severus said, bringing Harry out of his musings. “You asked me not to leave you.”

A tear slid down Harry’s eyes to his hair.

“I thought I was dreaming,” Harry whispered.

“Not a dream,” Severus said.

“Professor, where are my glasses?” Harry asked.

“Once you can move around, we’re going to have to get you some more. The damage to your glasses was immense. There was no saving it.”

“I can’t see,” Harry said. “What am I supposed to do?”

“I guess you’re going to have to trust me,” Severus said. Harry sighed. “Listen, your body needs rest.”

Severus leaned closer to Harry and started combing his fingers in Harry’s hair. Harry wanted to object to the Professor doing that, but it felt so good, and he was calming down. Why bother.

“Professor,” Harry said, his voice slurring a little.

“Yes, Potter,” Severus said, continuing to rub the child’s scalp.

“Thank you,” Harry said.

Severus looked at the boy and saw the creased brow smooth out, letting him know that the boy was going to sleep. Severus’ fingers continued to rub Harry’s scalp even though he knew that Harry was asleep.

After a few more minutes, Severus stopped and got up. He walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. He sighed at what he had to do next. There was no way around it. He had to get some of his things from Hogwarts. Severus figured that Minerva and Poppy would have already noticed that Harry was gone. He didn’t want to lie to them, but he also didn’t want to tell them the truth either.

As Severus walked to the front door, his only hope was that he didn’t run into his adopted mother or pseudo-aunt while he was there.

___000___000___000___000

Minerva and Poppy walked to Minerva’s chambers. Albus said they should talk to Severus about the whereabouts of Harry. Why would Severus know about Harry?

“Maybe Severus can shed some light as to why Albus would think Severus knows about Harry,” Poppy said when they walked into Minerva’s chambers.

Minerva didn’t answer her. She just walked over to her chair and sat down.

“Minerva, I know you are upset,” Poppy said, sitting across from her friend. “But at least give Severus a chance to explain himself.”

“I’m not worried about Severus,” Minerva said. “I just don’t like this. Something is wrong. I don’t know what.”

“Why would you say that?” Poppy asked. “What is troubling you?”

“I’m not sure,” Minerva said.

Minerva stood up and walked over to the fireplace. Grabbing some floo powder, she tossed it in and watched the flames turn green.

“Severus,” Minerva called out.

Nothing happened.

“Severus,” Minerva called again. She turned to her friend. “Where can he be?”

Poppy shook her head.

“I’m going go down there,” Minerva said, walking towards the door. “Maybe he’s in his lab and isn’t close to the fireplace.”

“Do you want me to come with you?” Poppy asked, standing up.

“No, that’s okay. I’ll come by a little later, and we can have some tea.” Minerva walked out of her chambers while Poppy floo’ed to hers.

___000____0000____0000___000

Severus apparated to the outer edge of Hogwarts and began his trek to the school. He had hoped that he wouldn’t run into anyone. He just wanted to get what he needed and leave. Severus didn’t want to come face to face with the Headmaster or his mother.

Severus hated keeping secrets from his mother, but he thought it was safer for her if she remained ignorant of what he was doing.

The close was clear as Severus made his way to his chambers. For once, luck was on his side; no one was in the corridors or the dungeons. Severus almost smiled to himself at the thought of his plan working.

Severus made it to his chambers and went in to gather everything he would need to, one, help Harry heal, and two, be able to finish making extra potions for Poppy. Even though he wouldn’t be at the school, it didn’t mean that Poppy should suffer for not having her supplies.

Severus was walking out of the backroom when the door to his chambers opened. Severus froze in his spot when he saw his mother walk in. He closed his eyes, lowering his head. Nothing ever worked out for Severus. The one person he didn’t want to run into was standing at the door.

Minerva looked at what was in Severus’ hands and knew something was amiss.

“Where are you going?” Minerva asked.

Severus looked at his mother but said nothing.

“Are you keeping secrets again?” Minerva asked. Her voice was soft but intimidating.

“Mother, I need you to trust me,” Severus pleaded.

“Where’s Harry?” Minerva asked.

Severus said nothing.

“Tell me you didn’t take him back to his relatives,” Minerva asked.

Again, Severus said nothing.

“I would think that you of all people would know how volatile it is to have someone living in that kind of environment.”

“Mother, I—,,” Severus started.

“No,” Minerva cut her son off. “Where is he? What did you do?”

Knowing that his mother was upset and that she would not hear what he had to say, Severus kept his mouth shut and let his mother believe the worst in him. It was easier that way. If she were angry with him, then she would be safe.

“I can’t believe you,” Minerva sneered.

As much as Severus wanted to dissuade his mother’s thinking, he knew that it was best if she hated him than her being in danger.

“I thought you were seeing Harry as an abused child that needed help like you were,” Minerva said, shaking her head. “I guess I was wrong.”

Severus’ heart broke, hearing his mother sound so disgusted with him. But he knew to keep Harry safe and away from his relatives, he had to make his mother believe that he was already there.

“You disgust me,” Minerva sneered. She turned and walked out of Severus’ chambers.

Severus took a deep breath, held it, then slowly let it out. He tried to rein in his emotions. Hearing his mother say those words was upsetting. Not wanting to run into his mother again, Severus went to the fireplace and floo’ed back to his house.

Minerva stood on the other side of the door. She was smirking. She gave a little laugh as she walked down the corridor.

___0000____0000____0000____0000

Minerva was walking down the stairs that led to the dungeons. She hoped that Severus was there so that he could shed some light on what was going on. When she got to the bottom of the stairs, she saw Albus walking towards her.

“Oh, Albus,” Minerva said. “What brings you down here?”

“Just taking a walk,” Albus said, smiling. “The summertime is a perfect opportunity to take a stroll all over the castle. With the lack of children roaming around, I can think and meditate on anything in peace.”

“Well, I won’t keep you,” Minerva said, turning down the hallway that led to her son’s chambers.

“Good day, Minerva.” Albus walked up the stairs, smiling, trying to contain his glee.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 9: True Trust by mandancie

Severus stepped out of the fireplace. Those words his mother said hurt. All he wanted to do was please her. She had done so much for him. She took him away from his father. She was always there to provide comfort when something was wrong, or when he came home after a hard Death Eater’s meeting. She’s always been there.

“You disgust me.”

Those words rang in his ears. It was like a broken record in his mind repeating over and over. He didn’t want his mother knowing that he took Harry. He didn’t want the Headmaster knowing that Harry wasn’t with his relatives.

Severus walked into the small restroom that was down the hall from the parlor. He splashed water on his face. He needed something to rid the memory of the last twenty minutes. He wanted to shut those three words out of his head.

Grabbing one of the towels that hung on the wall, Severus dried his face and looked at himself in the mirror. Severus closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and slowly let the air out of his lungs. He did it a couple more times. Opening his eyes again, he was able to occlude his mind of the past twenty minutes. He left the bathroom. Severus walked towards the stairs. He could hear coughing from the bottom of the stairs, and he rushed up the stairs to take care of Harry.

Harry was sitting up in bed. His back curved as his coughing racked his body; he felt a hand on his chest and one rubbing circles on his back. He could faintly catch a whiff of anise and sandalwood.

“Calm down. This will pass. Try to take slow breaths. That’s good — slow breaths. You’re okay. You’re not alone. I’m right here.”

Those soothing words seemed to bathe over Harry. He leaned into the voice and felt something hard but not uncomfortable leaning against his shoulder. As long as he was in the enclosure of comfort, he felt something he has never felt before: safe.

After a few moments, Harry coughing calmed down. Severus continued to rub small circles on Harry’s back.

“Feeling better, Potter?” Severus asked softly.

Harry’s throat felt scratchy from all that coughing. “Yeah.” Harry’s voice was gravely at best.

Severus waved his hand, and a glass of water appeared. He put the glass towards Harry’s lips.

“It’s water,” Severus said. “It should help your throat.”

Without a question or a second thought, Harry trusted what Severus said and took a sip of the cool water that soothed his throat. After a couple of sips, Severus put the glass down on the bedside table.

“It’s been a while,” Severus said. “Do you think you can eat something?”

Harry didn’t realize he was hungry until his Potions Professor asked. He could use something to eat. It had been a while since he’s eaten anything.

“Yes, sir,” Harry answered. His voice sounded a little better since having some water.

“What would you like?”

“Eggs, grilled tomatoes, and toast,” Harry said, lifting his head trying to see his Professor.

“Well, come on,” Severus said, putting his hand under Harry’s good shoulder. “I want you to try and get around.”

“I can’t see,” Harry protested but allowed Snape to help him stand up.

“Do you trust me?” Severus asked.

It was a weird question to ask. Severus Snape never gave Harry any reassurance that he would be trustworthy. Yes, he protected Harry throughout his time at Hogwarts, but that didn’t mean that they didn’t have their differences.

Harry was standing now. He lifted his left arm, the one that was dislocated, and touched Severus’ chest. Standing as close as he was to the Potions Master, Harry could see him a little. It wasn’t as defined as if he had his glasses on, but he knew who was standing in front of him.

Without hesitation, Harry said, “Yes.”

Harry's definitive answer surprised Severus but didn’t slow him down.

“Well, I will help you walk into the kitchen so that you can eat.”

____0000______000______000___000

“Do you trust that man?” Fenrir growled.

Fenrir and Bellatrix stayed at the table after the mysterious person apparated away from the table. They never saw who they were talking to.

“No,” Bellatrix answered. “But wouldn’t it be nice to gift our lord with Minerva McGonagall. She’s the most feared.”

“It would be wonderful,” Fenrir said. “The question is, how would we get to her. She stays at school. You know we can’t enter.”

“Let me worry about that,” Bellatrix said, smiling. “I may have a plan brewing.”

Bellatrix softly chuckled at the pun. She always believed there was something between McGonagall and Snape. She could never pinpoint it, but it always seemed that he stayed around the Head Gryffindor more than his own house.

“Let’s go,” Bellatrix said.

“What are you thinking?” Fenrir asked, standing up from the table.

“I think we need to visit the oaf at the cabin by the school,” Bellatrix said, walking out of the small bar. Fenrir followed.

___000___000___000

Minerva walked in the Infirmary and went straight to Poppy’s office.

“Did you talk to Severus?” Poppy asked when she saw Minerva walk in.

“He wasn’t there,” Minerva said sitting down in the chair across from Poppy’s desk. “This is weird. It’s not like Severus to do this.”

“Are you worried about him?” Poppy asked, ignoring the paperwork she was working on before Minerva walked in.

“Yeah,” Minerva said absently. “I am. I mean I know he’s a grown man; I shouldn’t worry like he’s a schoolboy, but something is nagging in the back of my mind.”

“What are you thinking?”

“I wish I knew. It’s more a feeling than something solid.” Minerva shook her head. “I’ll give Severus a couple of days and talk with him.” Minerva stood up. “I’ve bothered you enough for today.”

“Oh, please,” Poppy said, waving her hand. “I don’t want to hear that. You know you’re always welcome. I enjoy our times together.” Poppy got up and walked Minerva to the door. “And I understand what you mean. I worry about Severus as well. I’ve been worried about him since you brought him to me so many years ago. So, I know what you mean.”

“Thank,” Minerva said.

Minerva and Poppy gave each other a slight hug, and Minerva walked out of the Infirmary to her chambers.

__000___000___000___000

Hagrid was coming from the Forbidden Forest. His crossbow was hanging from his shoulder and a long string of dead ferrets on his other shoulder. Fang was walking beside him with a ferret in his mouth.

“Well, Fang, this should keep Braford happy for a while.” Hagrid walked towards the back of his cabin.

Braford was Buckbeak’s littermate. Buckbeak was the calmer hippogriff of the two, which was the reason Hagrid used Buckbeak instead of Braford during his first class. He missed his hippogriff but was happy in knowing that he got away before the executioner did his deed. But ever since the scandal with Buckbeak, Hagrid has kept Braford under wraps. He didn’t want to lose his last hippogriff because of a spoiled brat.

Hagrid hung the line of ferrets on the post as Fang dropped the one that was in his mouth next to the post.

“How ‘bout some dinner?” Hagrid asked Fang.

The two of them walked into his cabin. Hagrid was getting his ingredients together when Fang started barking.

“What’s the matter?” Hagrid asked.

There was a bang at the front door. Hagrid walked to the door and opened it. Fang growled, standing up from his spot on the floor.

Two spells were shouted at the same time.

“Imperio!”

“Avada Kadavra!”

A grey and green light flashed from the window of the cabin.

____0000___0000___0000___000

Harry sat across from Severus at the table. The child looked over at his Potions Professor. He was wondering why he was feeling so comfortable around him. His teacher always spoke down to Harry; he belittled Harry and tried to make things his fault. Now he was sitting across from the man, and he didn’t feel any animosity towards him.

“Professor,” Harry said.

Severus looked up at the boy sitting across from him.

“Why am I here?” Harry asked.

Severus looked at the boy. He wiped his mouth with the serviette, then laid it on top of his plate.

“It’s a complicated story,” Severus said. “One that I need time to gather together. As I’m not sure myself.”

“The headmaster said I had to go back to my relatives,” Harry said.

“Yes,” Severus agreed.

“Are you going to take me?” Harry asked.

It was a long moment of silence. The longer the quiet time was between them, the more Harry was worried that he would be taken back to his relatives.

“I can’t.” Severus finally said.

“Sir?” Harry was puzzled.

“No one should be treated like that. No one, not even you, should have the bruises, the broken bones, the neglect. You should not live through that.

“But why do you care?” Harry asked. “Not that I’m complaining. I’m actually like this new you.” Harry smirked.

Severus looked at the boy across from him and raised his eyebrow at the cheeky brat. Usually, he would give someone a severe tongue lashing talking to him like that, but he didn’t feel that way now. He had to stop himself from smiling at the brat.

Severus thought about Harry’s original question and sobered up.

“I can’t explain it,” Severus sighed. “I just can’t take you back.”

“Thanks,” Harry said with a little smile on his face.

There was a comfortable silence between the two of them. Harry looked down at the dishes on the table and decided he would pull his weight. If the Professor was going to let him stay, he could at least clean up.

Harry stood up and started piling dishes on top of each other. Severus watched Harry pick-up the dishes.

“What are you doing?” Severus asked when Harry removed his plate.

“Doing my part,” Harry said, shrugging his shoulder.

“You can’t see well,” Severus said.

“One thing I can do without really seeing is washing dishes,” Harry said shrugging. “If you’re going to let me stay with you, I can at least help out.”

“You know you don’t have to,” Severus said.

“After everything you’ve done for me,” Harry said, picking up the last of the dishes. “It’s not even enough to show my gratitude.

Severus shook his head. “Don’t thank me yet.”

Severus saw that Harry was trying to use his sore arm.

“How is that shoulder?” Severus asked.

“It’s okay,” Harry said, putting the dishes in the sink. “A little stiff.”

Severus stood up and stood behind Harry.

“Give me a second,” Severus said. “I want to see your range of motion.”

Harry allowed Severus to rotate his shoulder. It hurt a little, but it wasn’t that bad. He could still work with it.

“Let me see your hand,” Severus said, turning Harry around so that they were facing each other.

Harry held out his hand and watched as Severus turned his hand over and slightly press around his hand.

“How does that feel?” Severus asked, looking up at the boy.

“A little stiff, but a lot better than before,” Harry said.

“Alright.” Severus let go of the child’s hand. “I have a salve that can help with the stiffness.”

Severus walked out of the kitchen. Harry walked to the sink and started cleaning the dishes.

___000___000___000___000

Minerva walked into her office and went to her desk. She sighed as she sat down in her chair, worried about her son. Something was not right. The last time Severus disappeared like this was when he became a Death Eater, but even then, Severus had talked to her before he left her. Well, talk wouldn’t be the right word.

SLAP!

The sound reverberated around the room. Severus stood in complete shock, looking at his new adoptive mother. His cheek turned slightly pink from the hit he had just endured. Not once did she think that she would lay a hand on him. After she hit Severus, she put her hand over her mouth.

"Why did you do it?" Minerva's voice was thick with tears, her hand slightly stinging from slapping Severus. Those black eyes of her son looked at her pierced with anger and fear. Severus turned to walk away, she grabbed his arm, and he stayed put. "Severus."

"You wouldn't understand," Severus said. His voice quiet. She could hear the hurt in his voice, but she had to push him. She wanted to understand why he would taint himself with the mark like that.

"Well, help me understand."

"I had to take the mark," Severus turned and faced Minerva. "I wanted it. I needed it. Now Lucius..."

"Wait a minute," Minerva cut Severus off. "Lucius? Lucius Malfoy. I can't believe you would listen to that boy. Him and his little entourage are no better than James and his friends.

"He is not like Potter! No one is like Potter or Black. Don't compare my friends with those Gryffindors."

"Severus," Minerva admonished. "What's is going on with you?" She grabbed his left arm. "This is not you."

Severus snatched his arm from her grasp. "YOU DON'T KNOW ME!"

Minerva stepped back and looked at her son. "Severus."

"No," Severus yelled. "I am not a Gryffindor. I'm a Slytherin. And I am proud of my decision."

"No, you're not," Minerva said quietly. "You've doomed yourself, Severus." She no longer held her tears back as they streamed down her face. "Can you not see that."

Severus looked at Minerva for the first time with disgust. "I don't need your approval. I don't need you. I didn't ask you to adopt me. So, you can leave me alone." With that Severus turned and walked out of his adoptive mother's office.

Tears streamed down Minerva’s face thinking back to that afternoon she thought she lost her son forever. She didn’t want that to happen again. She knew she would have to find her son and fast.

A knock on her door brought the Transfiguration Professor out of her musing.

“Hold on,” Minerva said, trying to make her voice sound strong. So not to let whoever was behind her door know she was crying.

Patting her eyes with her silk handkerchief to rid her face of the tears, she walked to her door.

“Who is it?” Minerva opened her door. “Oh, hi. What’s can I do for you?”

A hand grabbed Minerva on the side of her head and slammed her into the door jam. Minerva collapsed on the floor.

___000___000___000___000

Harry was washing the last dish when he felt his hip vibrate so hard, he almost fell. He had to catch himself on the sink. Once he got his feet under him, he reached in his pocket and fished out what had caused him to almost fall on the floor.

Looking down at his hand, Harry didn’t know what was happening.

“PROFESSOR!”

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 10: True Hurt by mandancie

Severus left Harry to clean the dishes. He went to his study. There was a letter in his inside pocket that needed to be sent off. He pulled the small scroll out and set it on his desk. Looking down at it, now than ever, Harry was going to need the mutt’s and wolf’s help.

“Archimedes,” Severus called.

A Northern Hawk owl flew into Severus’ study and landed on his desk.

“Find Lupin,” Severus said, tying the scroll to the owl’s leg. “Make sure he gets this. Wait for a response.”

The owl screeched and took flight. Severus watched his owl fly until he couldn’t see it anymore.

“PROFESSOR!”

Severus was startled at the scream but shot into action. Flicking his wrist so that his wand would fall into his hand, he rushed into the kitchen. Deep down, Severus knew that no one could come into this house without his knowledge. But he didn’t want to take any chances.

It took only a few seconds to reach the kitchen. Harry was leaning against the sink.

Hearing the rapid footsteps, Harry knew the Professor was coming into the kitchen.

Severus rushed in, looking around to make sure everything was alright. Seeing that all was fine, he walked over to Harry.

“What is…”

Before Severus could finish, Harry thrust his hand out towards the black blur in front of him.

“I didn’t do anything,” Harry said in a panic. “It just started vibrating.”

Severus felt the room get cold. The blood drained from his face as he looked down at the coin.

No. No, Severus kept thinking, shaking his head. “This couldn’t be.”

“Professor,” Harry said. “What is it? What’s going on?”

“Listen to me, Harry,” Severus said, grabbing Harry’s arm. “I want you to stay in the library. I have to go.”

Severus started walking, escorting Harry down the hall. His steps were hurried, but Harry didn’t stumble or trip over anything. In the heart of this panic, Harry didn’t have to worry about where he was stepping or bumping into things. His entire trust was in the Potions Professor.

“Go where?”

“Do not move out of this room.”

“Professor, please tell me what’s going on,” Harry pleaded.

Harry was pushed slightly on the shoulder to sit down. Harry lifted his gaze and looked up at the man.

“Stay here, I mean it, Potter.”

“Please tell me what’s going on?” Harry pleaded again.

“This means that someone is in trouble,” Severus said.

“Who?” Harry said, standing up again.

Severus stepped back so Harry wouldn’t bump into him. He knew he needed to find a way to get a new pair of glasses for Harry, but he couldn’t worry about that now. He had to check on his mother.

Severus pushed Harry back down on the sofa and knelt in front of him. He pulled out the salve he promised and started rubbing a small bit on Harry’s hand.

“You are still healing. You cannot see. I need you to be safe. Do not move from this sofa until I get back here. Do you understand?” Harry nodded. “Take your arm out of your shirt.”

“But sir,” Harry tried again, doing as his Professor said. “You said someone in trouble. Who? Maybe I can help.”

“You can help by staying here,” Severus said, putting another amount of healing salve on Harry’s shoulder.

Harry lowered his head. Severus sighed, putting the lid on the small jar.

“Listen, Harry,” Severus said, lifting Harry’s head with his finger. “I know you want to help. And I appreciate that. But as I’ve said, you are still healing. You cannot see. And I need you safe. Once I check on what’s going on, if you’re feeling up to it, we’ll go get you some more glasses.”

The smell from the salve on his shoulders wafted around Harry. He was becoming relaxed.

“What’s happening?” Harry asked.

“What do you mean?” Severus asked. He knew what was happening, but he needed Harry to stay put. If the coin didn’t go off, he was going to make Harry take a nap after he put the salve on anyway.

“I can’t keep my eyes open,” Harry said. His voice was becoming slurred. “What’s in this?”

“The salve is to help relax the muscles so that they will heal easier,” Severus said. “One of the side effects is that it makes the patient sleepy.”

“You did this on purpose,” Harry accused though it didn’t sound as threatening since he was falling asleep.

“Yes, I know,” Severus said, making Harry lie down on the sofa. “I’m an evil bat that is set out to make you miserable.”

Harry scrunched his brow, looking up at the black blur.

“You’re not an evil bat,” Harry said. The slur in his voice was more pronounced now. “A sneaking Slytherin, but not an evil bat. Oh, wow!” Harry chuckled. “sneaking Slytherin,” drawing out the sound of the s, “it sounds funny.”

Severus smirked. “I’m sure. You can tell me more when I get back.”

Harry's eyes were slowly closing. Severus didn’t have anything to lay over the child, so he took off his robe and draped it on Harry. The boy looked so small with that long robe over him. One more thing that showed Severus that Harry was just a child and not his father.

“T’ank yu, sir,” Harry said, finally succumbing to sleep.

Severus softly touseled Harry’s hair. “Rest, child. I’ll be back soon.”

Severus looked down at the now sleeping child. He didn’t want to leave Harry alone; he was waiting for a reply from Lupin, but he couldn’t dismiss that coin going off. Even though their last meeting didn’t go well, Severus was still worried about his mother.

Walking over to the fireplace, Severus floo to his chambers at Hogwarts. Not wanting to have too many people know he was here, Severus put a disillusionment charm on himself and walked out of his chambers.

At first, he was going to go straight to his mother’s chambers but decided to go to see Poppy first. He concluded that his mother would be with her instead of her chambers.

When Severus stepped into the Infirmary, he saw Poppy standing in her supply cupboard — probably making a list of the different potions Severus needed to brew before school started.

Taking the charm off, Severus called out, “Poppy.”

Poppy quickly turned towards the voice and smiled. “Severus,” putting down her clipboard, “where have you been? We’ve been so worried about you.”

Poppy walked towards Severus with her arms open. From the last conversation the Potions Master had with his mother, he didn’t expect to see Poppy this joyful that he was standing here.

When Poppy got close enough, she grasped his shoulders and pulled him into a tight hug. Severus prided himself in not being surprised but having Poppy embrace him like he’d been gone for ages shocked him.

“Where have you been?” Poppy asked again. Her voice muffled by Severus’ shoulder. “Where’s Harry?” she pushed Severus away to arm’s length.

“I’m sure mother has told you,” Severus said. His voice was cold and uncaring as if he were talking to his students during his lectures.

“Told me what?” Poppy asked. “We’ve been looking for you since yesterday. We’ve both been upset that neither you nor Harry was here. We wanted to know what you’ve done with him. Albus told us to talk with you about where Harry was.”

Severus swallowed at the mention of Albus. Hearing that Albus put it in Poppy’s and Minerva’s mind that he did something with Harry, he knew that there was something amiss.

“Where’s mother?” Severus asked, ignoring Poppy’s questions.

Poppy sighed, stepping back from Severus, “She went to her chambers.”

“Thank you,” Severus said, turning towards the door.

“Wait a minute,” Poppy called out. Severus turned back to face her. “What’s going on?”

“I promise I will explain everything in due time,” Severus said and quickly walked out of the Infirmary, heading to his mother’s chambers.

____0000____0000____0000____0000

Albus was enjoying the day. He had a lovely walk around the inside of the castle. He was now walking around the greenhouses. He enjoyed the smells of the different plants that Pomona had in each glasshouse. Even during school, Albus would take a walk early in the morning around the greenhouse.  

Albus couldn’t help smirking at what happened in the dungeons. Albus prided himself at being able to fool Severus. It was nice having the Potion Master under his thumb.

He could get Severus to do whatever he wanted him to do. Severus believed that he was special. He wasn’t. Just because Severus has brainwashed Minerva and Poppy believing that he’s important, Albus knows better. Severus is just a half-breed Slytherin.

There was nothing special about that boy. He was awkward as a child. He was awkward as a teen. And he awkward now. Severus will never fit in. And Albus was determined to make that happen. If Severus were considered a pariah, he would do whatever Albus wanted him too.

___000___000_____000_____000

It didn’t take long for Severus to get to his mother’s chambers. When he got close to it, he saw that her door was still opened. Not like that one bit, Severus pulled his wand out and slowly walked towards the door. The first thing Severus saw was what looks like blood on the door jam.

Severus wiped a small bit with his finger and looked at it closely and realized that it was indeed blood. Severus looked around the chamber and didn’t see anything else out of place. Raising his wand, Severus took a closer look around the doorway. Besides the blood, he could see small strands of hair in the crevasses of the door. There was a small piece of fabric on the nail of the hinge.

Whatever happened, it happened here. And from what Severus was seeing, whatever happened, his mother didn’t go willingly.

Severus took a deep breath, held it until his lungs hurt, and slowly let the air out.

Usually, he would do that, and it would calm him down. This time it did not. He tried it again. He couldn’t wrap his mind around what he knew was right in front of him. His eyes never leaving the blood that was on the door jam.

No one would be that bold.

Severus took a deep breath, held it, and let it out.

Why would someone take her; What was their motive? What would be the reason behind it?

Severus took a deep breath, held it, and let it out.

She didn’t go willingly. The only explanation is that someone took her.

There is blood on the door, along with hair and fabric. Someone didn’t just use magic to take her. They used physical force.

Severus took a deep breath, held it, and let it out.

Severus closed his eyes; his wand was at his side. His hands were trembling. A small voice in his mind wanted to believe that this wasn’t happening. This can’t be true. But his rational mind knew that as much as you wish it, it doesn’t mean it will come true.

The door and frame started shaking. Severus couldn’t control the magic that was rolling off him like waves.

Someone took his mother. Someone kidnapped his mother.

When Severus opened his eyes again, the door and frame burst into a million pieces. There was nothing left of the door but small splinters of wood.

___000___000___000___000

After Severus left the Infirmary, Poppy went back to what she was doing, making a list for Severus to replenish her stores. Now that she had a minute to think about her encounter with Severus, she noticed that he was stiff.

Something wasn’t right. When Poppy wrapped her arms around Severus, he didn’t hug her back. Now, Severus wasn’t a hugger by any means of the word, but he would wrap his arms around her or Minerva if they initiated it. This time he didn’t.

It has been a long time since Poppy had to wheedle something out of Severus, but she wasn’t opposed to out-Slytherin the Head of Slytherin. She was Slytherin as well and she will use that to her advantage.  

Poppy came out of her musing by a crashing sound, and the phials in her stores were shaking.

That was odd, Poppy thought.

There was only one person in this school that was powerful enough to shake the castle. It’s only happened once before, and that was when Minerva went to Albus about performing the adoption for Severus.

Poppy put her clipboard down and rushed out of the Infirmary. Even though it was a mild shake, it still drained Minerva for a while, and she had to calm down before she strained her magical core.

When Poppy got to Minerva’s chambers, two things shocked her. One, Severus was standing in the doorway or what remained of a doorway. Two, Minerva was not in her chambers. Looking at Severus’ face, she could tell that he was on the edge of completely losing control of his magic. Very rarely has she seen it this bad, the last time being when he was punished unfairly in his sixth year. It took Minerva and Poppy almost sixteen hours to try and calm him. In the end, they had to get Lily to calm him.

“Severus,” Poppy said, in a whisper, so not to startle the Potion Master too much. “Severus, are you alright?”

There was no reply.

“Severus,” Poppy said again, slowly walking towards Severus. “Severus, what happened?”

When Poppy got next to Severus, she cupped Severus’ cheek and turned Severus’ face so he could see her.

“Severus look at me,” Poppy said. When black eyes met blue eyes, Poppy smiled. “There’s my boy. Just keep looking at me. Everything is alright,” raising her other hand to cupped Severus’ other cheek so she was framing his face with her hands, “let's go back to the Infirmary and have some tea.”

“Tea?” Severus’ voice sounded strained.

“Yes,” Poppy cooed. “Tea always calms you down. Come on.”

Poppy stepped back, letting go of Severus’ face and grabbing his hand. She began pulling Severus towards the stairs. As if in a trance, Severus followed Poppy down the corridor.

___000___000___000___000

Minerva felt like her head had been run over by a pack of Centaurs. When she opened her eyes, the light in the room gave her a blinding, searing pain that she quickly shut them again. Waving her hand, she could tell that the light dimmed. The second time she opened her eyes, she was able to take in her surroundings.

She was lying on a small cot in the corner of the room. There wasn’t much else in the room. Only a small table next to her.

She didn’t know where she was.

The door opened. The light from the other side of the door was blinding. It made her pain double.

“Who’s there?” Minerva asked, squinting her eyes against the light.

“I’m glad you finally woke up. I thought I was going to resort to more harsher means to wake you up. This is going to be fun.”

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 11: Finding More Help by mandancie

Poppy escorted Severus into the Infirmary. She walked him over to one of the beds and sat him down.

“You’re definitely your mother’s son,” Poppy said softly.

She walked over to her private potion stores and pulled out a phial. It was set aside for when someone would get so upset that they almost depleted their magical core.

How Severus is now, he wasn’t the worst Poppy has seen, but he was still in a dangerous state. The potion would bring the person back to a more conscious state and will help to replenish their core. Once they are given the potion, their bodies need rest.

Poppy walked back over to Severus and looked at his face.

“Severus,” Poppy said, calmly. “Can you look at me?”

Severus slowly raised his head and looked at the matron.

“Hi, Poppy,” Severus said, slowly.

“Severus, how are you feeling?”

“I’m okay,” Severus shrugged.

“Can you take this for me?” Poppy handed Severus the phial.

Severus slowly lowered his head and looked at the phial in Poppy’s hand. He reached up and gripped the phial.

Helping Severus take the potion, she knew it would take a few minutes, for he will be back to his old self again. A few moments after drinking the potion, Severus’ eyes didn’t look as glazed as they once were. He blinked a few times as if to clear the cobwebs out of his mind.

Severus looked up and realized that he was in the Infirmary and that Poppy was standing in front of him.

“What’s going on?” Severus asked, trying to stand up.

Poppy held out her hand, preventing Severus from standing.

“Hold on a minute. You need to wait until the potion finishes.”

Severus rubbed his hand over his face. “What happened?”

“What is the last thing you remember?” Poppy asked.

“I saw you, and I was going to check on mother,” Severus said.

“When I found you, you destroyed your mother’s door. You want to tell me what is going on,” Poppy said, sitting next to Severus.

A vision of blood, hair, and fabric invaded Severus’ mind. He tensed up and was about to stand again when he felt a hand on his arm.

“What is it?” Poppy said.

“Something’s wrong,” Severus said, moving his arm out of Poppy’s grasp. “Mother’s missing.”

“What?”

Severus stood up and headed for the door, but Poppy met him and stopped him again, blocking the door.

“Tell me everything,” Poppy demanded.

Severus sighed.

“The coin that Minerva gave me so long ago, she gave it to Potter. That is how we knew that something was wrong with the boy. When I went to get him, mother took my coin, and Potter still had the one that Minerva gave him. The coin went off again. That’s the reason why I’m here.”

“Harry’s with you?” Poppy asked.

Severus didn’t answer.

Poppy had a small smile on her face. She reached up and cupped Severus’ cheek.

“Listen to me,” Poppy said. “I’ll look out for Minerva. I’m sure there is something that I can find that will help me in finding out what happened. You need to go.”

“But she’s my mother,” Severus protested.

“And she’s my best friend,” Poppy replied. “I’ll find out. And when I do, you’ll be the first to know.”

As much as Severus wanted to argue that he needed to find his mother, there was someone at home that needed his attention more.

Severus dipped his chin in a nod. He cracked to door to the infirmary, but again Poppy stopped him.

“Take the floo,” she said. “I have a gut feeling that Albus doesn’t know.” Physically turning Severus around and pushing him towards the hearth.

Severus grabbed a handful of powder. He was about to throw it down when Poppy reached up and kissed him on his cheek.

“You know what I gave you,” Poppy said. “It won’t completely work until you get some rest.”

“I will,” Severus said.

Poppy walked away before Severus dropped the powder. She figured when Severus didn’t answer her question about Harry; it meant that there was some information that was best not knowing.

___000___000___000___000

Remus was tired. This past full moon took its toll on him. Not being able to get a hold of Wolfbane, the transformations were more intense. Remus was lying on top of the duvet on his bed. After resigning from Hogwarts, Remus had been staying with Sirius. For one reason, Sirius had enough room in Grimmauld Place, and, two, he could keep an eye on Sirius. Sirius was never one to be able to stay in one place for a long period, but in Sirius' defense, it was hard for him to come back to his family home after so many years being away from them.

There was a soft light coming into the room. It wasn’t too dark or too bright. Remus stood and stretched his body, trying to get the kinks out when he saw a bird coming towards the window.

Opening the window, a large owl flew in, landing on the sill. Remus looked at the bird for a second before freeing it of his small bundle. Remus opened the small parchment and read the contents.

Getting a letter from Severus was odd. He never blamed Severus for his resignation. Not taking his potion and risking hurting Harry and his friends, Remus knew he couldn’t stay at the school.

Remus looked up and saw that the owl was still there, so he figured that Severus wanted a response. Walking over to the small desk in the corner of the room, Remus dipped his quill in the inkwell and wrote on another small piece of parchment his answer. Rolling it up, Remus walked over to the window and tied his response on the bird’s leg. The Northern Hawk owl flew away.

Remus watched until he couldn’t see the bird anymore, closing the window. Remus was tired before; now he’s not. Now, he had to figure out a way to calm Sirius in knowing that Severus was coming over.

___000___000___000___000

Severus walked out of the hearth and went to the library. He saw that Harry was still lying on the sofa resting comfortably. He knew he was going to need to rest soon, but there was so much that he had to deal with first. He needed to find out where his mother was. There was nothing in the area to know what happened or who could have possibly taken her. The only saving grace was his mother still had the coin on her person.

The tapping on the window brought Severus out of his musing; the owl on the other side wasn’t his. Opening the window, he removed the parchment. He was about to open the parchment when he saw Archimedes coming. Severus reached out his arm and his owl. Bringing his arm back into the house, Severus closed the window with his other hand.

Archimedes slid up Severus’ arm until he was on the Potion Master’s shoulder. He softly nipped at Severus’ ear before flying off his shoulder and landing on the desk. Severus walked over and pulled the parchment off.

He opened the second parchment.

Severus,

There is nothing for you to apologize for. If you need help, I’m here to help you take care of Harry. I’m staying with Sirius at Grimmauld Place. I will talk with Sirius and we’ll both help you.

Come when you think it is the best time.

Remus

Severus wasn’t happy to have to deal with the dog, looking over at the child sleeping on the sofa; he knew whatever he felt about the man, Harry was going to need his help.

Severus opened the second parchment.

I know you have Potter. If you don’t take him back to his relatives, your dear sweet mother will not live to see the next school year. You have twelve hours.

Severus lowered his hand, balling up the parchment in his hand. They were blackmailing him. He couldn’t condemn that child to that kind of abuse. Looking at Remus’ letter, he knew it didn’t matter if he got along with Sirius or not, Harry was going to need his help. He was going to have to make plans to keep Harry safe.

Harry started to stir on the sofa. Severus walked over to the child, sitting on the edge of the sofa.

“Harry,” Severus said softly. “Harry.”

Harry started stretching, grabbing the cover over him raising his hands over his head. Harry noticed that his shoulder didn’t hurt as much. It wasn’t even that sore. He stretched so hard he turned, bumping into Severus.

“Hey,” Harry said. His voice was a little groggy.

“How do you feel?” Severus asked.

“A lot better,” Harry said, pulling himself up to a sitting position.

“Do you feel like going out?” Severus asked.

“Where are we going?”

“You’re in desperate need of some more glasses,” Severus said, standing up, pulling his cloak off the child.

Harry felt his cover move and instantly missed the warmth that came with it. He tightened his grip on the cloak before it was completely removed.

“Wait,” Harry said.

Severus looked down at the child. “What’s wrong?”

“I…I,” Harry stuttered.

“Yes, Harry,” Severus said.

Hearing his name from his Professor, Harry looked up at him. “If we’re going out, can I keep it.”

Severus raised his eyebrow at the child. He wanted to keep his, the evil bat’s, cloak.

“Yes, sure,” Severus said. “Let’s go. We have another place to go afterward.”

Harry stood up, and Severus wrapped the cloak around the child.

___000___000___000___000

It was so nice to be able to see you again. It had been a long time since Harry saw anything as clear as he was looking now. He looked down at the cloak wrapped around his arms. He never thought that he would be comfortable un his Potion Professor’s clothes, but he felt protected.

“Are we going back to your house?” Harry asked.

“No,” Severus said.

“Where are we going?” Harry asked.

“Please,” Severus said. Harry looked over at his teacher. He looked tired.

“Professor,” Harry said. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Severus said. “Take my arm.” Severus raised his arm towards Harry.

Harry grabbed his arm. Harry felt like he was twisted in a tube. When he felt that his feet were on solid ground, he leaned into the body next to him.

“It takes a minute to get used to,” a voice said above Harry’s head.

Harry looked up and saw that he was leaning against the Professor.

“Sorry,” Harry said, stepping back a little.

“Nothing to apologize for,” Severus said. “It’s a little disconcerting in the beginning. Let’s continue.”

Severus started walking down the street. Harry followed.

“Where are we?” Harry asked.

Severus pulled out his wand and waved it. The building seemed to shake and open. Harry was astonished at what he was seeing. He could see people in the windows of the other buildings, and they seemed not even to notice that the building was separating. When the moving stopped, there was a new door with a walkway and railing.

“Let’s go,” Severus said, walking towards the newly placed door.

Harry followed. When they walked inside, there was a slender walkway. Severus let Harry pass him, and they walked into the door at the end of the hallway. Harry opened the door and a huge smile spread across his lips.

“Sirius,” Harry yelled.

Sirius was sitting at the table reading the paper when the door opened, and he saw his godson come in.

“Pronglet,” Sirius said, standing up.

Harry rushed over to his godfather and wrapped his arms around him. Sirius returned the hug with as much fervor. Severus stayed in the corner of the kitchen. He knew that when Sirius saw him, it wasn’t going to be a lot of smiles.

Remus heard the excitement downstairs. He headed for the kitchen so that there could see what was going on. Remus walked into the kitchen and stood over where Severus was standing.

Sirius pushed Harry out to arm’s length.

“How are you doing?” Sirius asked. “Why are you here? Not that I’m not happy about it.”

“I was with my Professor,” Harry said. “He helped me.”

Professor? Sirius pondered. He looked up and saw who else was in the room with them. Severus was standing by Remus.

“What are you doing here, Snivellus?” Sirius growled.  

“Sirius,” Harry said.

“Now’s not the time, Sirius,” Remus said.

“What are you even here? You don’t care for Harry!”

“Sirius, stop,” Harry said.

Sirius gripped Harry’s sore arm. Even though Harry could move it having it yanked on didn’t mean that it didn’t hurt. Sirius pulled Harry behind him. Pain etched on Harry's face. Both Remus and Severus walked over to them.

“You stay away, Snivellus,” Sirius roared.

Severus wasn’t listening; he walked past the two of them and grabbed for Harry. He pushed Sirius’ hand off the boy and turned pulling Harry to his chest. Harry looked up at his Professor. He could see that his Professor was hurting. Harry didn’t know why he looked so pained.

“Professor, are you okay?” Harry asked softly, so only he and Severus could hear.

Harry’s attention was only on his Professor. He didn’t know about the slight tussle behind them.

Remus was standing next to Sirius, trying to calm the animagus down. Sirius pushed Remus away, pulling his wand out of his sleeve.

“Let him go,” Sirius growled.

“Sirius, stop.”

Harry looked at Severus. There was a flash of light behind his Potion professor. Severus’ pained look deepened, and he fell forward. Harry wrapped his arms around his professor’s shoulders, falling on the floor with him. Severus was unconscious with his head was laying on Harry’s shoulder. Harry was angry. Why would he attack him? He helped me.

Harry was brought out of his musing by someone shaking his shoulder.

“Come on, Pronglet,” Sirius said, trying to pry Harry off of Severus. “Let’s go.”

“Go away,” Harry said quietly.

“Harry,” Remus said.

“Go away,” Harry said louder. Harry looked up at his godfather. “You attacked someone behind their back. Professor Snape helped me, and you attack him. Go away.”

“Why? It’s just Snivellus,” Sirius said. “He’s nobody.”

“Sirius,” Remus said, pulling Sirius back. “Sirius, come on. You’ve done enough.”

Remus pulled Sirius out of the kitchen. Harry laid his cheek on his professor’s forehead.

“I’m sorry, professor,” Harry whispered.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 12: Going Home? by mandancie

“Madam Undersecretary, you have a guest outside.”

“Thank you,” Delores Umbridge said.

Her office was drowned in pink. She had pictures of cats everywhere. Even though she was working, her desk was pristine. Her clothes were always impeccable. Her hair was always well-groomed, not a strain out of place.

Putting her quill back in the inkwell, she looked at her secretary, “Show them in.”

“Yes, ma’am,” the young woman said, quickly leaving the office.

Moments later, she returned with a gentleman following. Without being told, the secretary stepped out of the office, closing the door behind her.

“Well,” Delores said, “It is wonderful to see you. What news do you have for me?”

“Not great news,” the man said, sitting in the chair across from Delores’ desk.

“What happened?” Delores’ sweet tone became harsh.

“It seems that the Dementors didn’t do what we hoped.”

“Blasted,” Delores exclaimed, sitting back in her chair. “There has to be some way to discredit this troublemaker.”

“Since you’re commissioned to work at Hogwarts, you’ll have to discredit him there. You’ll have a better chance than trying to do it from his muggle home.”

“Okay,” Delores sighed. “It would have been better if the Dementors succeeded, then it would make the school term that much easier.”

“Do your best,” the man said, standing up. “Make sure you have Harry Potter seen as a glory-hogging want-a-be.”

“It will be done,” Delores declared.

“Wonderful,” the man stood up and walked to the door. “Good day.”

He disappeared before Delores could reply. Not that she was going to. She was in deep thought about how to destroy Potter’s credibility.

A thought came to her that brought a smile to her face. Opening the side drawer of her desk, there was the perfect item lying at the top.

“Perfect,” Delores purred, sounding like one of her cats.

___000___000___000

Harry was on the floor in total disbelief. He had a tight grip on his professor. Never did he think that someone could attack him from behind. The professor was only trying to make sure he was okay, and Sirius just attacked him.

Harry was so focused on his professor; he didn’t notice that he was alone in the kitchen. Remus pulled Sirius out of the room, Sirius complaining the entire time.

“What the hell was that about?” Remus growled.

“Snivellus was by my godson,” Sirius said with just as much animosity. “He was hurting him.”

“He was not,” Remus roared. “You were.”

“Me,” Sirius said, incredulously. “I would never hurt my godson. And why are you taking that Death Eater’s side.”

“Sirius, I love you like a brother,” Remus sighed. He was tired, and it was starting to show. “But you are the most pigheaded person I know. You were hurting Harry.”

“I did not!” Sirius screamed, instantly regretting it when he saw Remus put his hands over his ears.

Sirius took a deep breath to calm himself down. He forgot how hard this last full moon was on Moony.

“Forgive me,” Sirius said, his voice calmer now. “But I didn’t hurt Harry.”

“Yes, you did,” Remus said, lowering his hands. “When you grabbed Harry and tried to put him behind you, you hurt him. Severus was just trying to check on him. And then you attacked him from behind.”

“He’s a Death Eater,” Sirius snarled but kept his voice low so not to irritate Remus again.

“No, he’s not,” Remus said, shaking his head. “And if you had given me two seconds to intervene, I would have told you that Harry had been staying with Severus for three days, and he was coming here seeking help.”

Sirius looked puzzled. Remus pulled out the note that he received from Severus. Sirius read it. Remus saw the deflated look on Sirius’ face when he got to the end of the note. Without saying another word, Sirius rushed back into the kitchen. To his surprise, Harry was still sitting on the floor with Severus in his arms.

Harry heard footsteps coming back into the kitchen. When he looked up to see who came in, his eyes darkened. Harry looked saddened.

“Why?” Harry asked, looking up at Sirius. “Why would you attack him from behind? He’s done nothing but helps me, and you attacked him.”

“Harry,” Sirius said. “He’s not a good person.”

Harry looked up at Sirius; his eyes were cold. He was hurt. Some of his feeling he wasn’t understanding, but they were taking over, and Harry allowed it.

“And you’re faultless?” Harry said. His voice was cold as steel. “You attacked someone from behind. That’s a coward’s move. You didn’t give him a chance to defend himself.”

Sirius could see the hurt in his godson’s eyes. It broke his heart that he was the reason Harry was hurt.

“Professor Snape has been nothing but caring to me,” Harry continued. “He sat with me when I was in pain. He comforted me when I had nightmares. We may not have gotten along before, but he protected me since I walked inside Hogwarts. I wasn’t blind to that fact. And you shouldn’t be either.”

“What?” Sirius asked.

“When I first met you, I thought you were going to kill me.”

“But, you learned that I wasn’t.”

“That’s right,” Harry said. “But at the time, I didn’t. Professor Snape came thinking the same thing.”

“You attacked him to save me,” Sirius said. “So, how is what I did so wrong?”

“At least he saw it coming,” Harry said. “I didn’t do it from behind.”

“Where are you going with this?” Sirius said, exasperated.

“When Remus changed,” Harry said. “And he threw you off him; it was Professor Snape that stood in front of us. He protected us. You saw it because when you came back, you stood in front of us.”

“Harry,” Sirius started, but Harry cut him off.

“I don’t want to talk anymore,” Harry lowered his head until his cheek was resting on Severus’ forehead.

“Harry,” Sirius tried again.

“Sirius,” Remus said, standing by the door. “Go take a walk. Leave Harry alone for now. You can talk later.”

Sirius, looking defeated, walked out of the kitchen and went upstairs. Remus walked over to where Harry and Severus were on the floor.

“Harry,” Remus called out softly.

“I don’t want to talk anymore,” Harry said.

“I understand that,” Remus said. “But don’t you think you both would be more comfortable off the floor.”

Harry looked up at the werewolf and nodded.

“Excellent,” Remus said, pulling out his wand.

Harry’s arms tightened around Severus. That motion didn’t go unnoticed with Remus, but he didn’t comment on it.

“Listen, Harry,” Remus said. “I need to levitate Severus so we can go to the sitting room, and I can put him on the sofa there.”

Harry looked up at Remus, trying to decide if he was telling the truth. He deeply wanted to trust his former Defense professor, but there was a note of worry. Looking back down at Severus, Harry loosen his hold on his Professor and nodded.

Remus levitated Severus and moved him into the sitting room. Harry was a step behind him. When Remus got to the sofa, he slowly lowered Severus onto it. Harry was right next to him, lifting Severus' head so that he could put a pillow under it.

“Harry,” Remus said, putting his hand on the boy’s shoulder. “Have you eaten?”

It was a moment before Harry acknowledged that someone asked him a question. His focus was on his professor. Harry shook his head in the negative, taking his eyes off his Professor and looking at Remus.

“Why don’t we get something to eat,” Remus suggested.

Harry tensed at the suggestion, but Remus put his hand on Harry’s shoulder, guiding him out of the sitting room.

“Severus will be fine,” Remus reassured Harry. “It will just take some time for him to wake up. Even though Sirius is a little impulsive, he only stunned Severus.”

Harry kept his eyes on Severus while Remus escorted Harry out of the room. He went back into the kitchen and sat down while Remus prepared a light meal for the child.

___000___000___000

“Who are you?” Minerva demanded.

The guest waved his hands, and dim light illuminated the small room.

“Aberforth,” Minerva gasped. “What’s going on? Why am I here?”

“All in due time,” Aberforth said. “Things will be revealed.”

“What is going on?” Minerva asked again.

“Certain measures were taken so that certain things could be done,” Aberforth said, smirking.

“Just like your brother,” Minerva mumbled. Raising her voice again, “stop talking in riddles and tell me what’s going on.”

“Let’s just say,” Aberforth said. “You’re insurance.”

“Insurance?” Minerva asked, puzzled. “Insurance for what?”

“Nothing you should worry about,” Aberforth said. “Just know that you’re the incentive needed to get the job done.”

Aberforth walked out of the room, leaving Minerva alone again.

___000___000___000

Harry was sitting at the table, picking at his food. Remus felt bad for the child. Harry would sneak looks at the doorway, hoping that Severus would walk through it.

“Harry,” Remus said. “Try and eat something.”

Harry sighed. He scooped up a small forkful of food and put it in his mouth.

“Are you sure he’s okay,” Harry asked, looking back at the door. “It’s been so long. Should we call Madam Pomphrey.”

“Harry, relax,” Remus said, trying not to smile. “Severus will be fine.”

The door to the kitchen creaked open, and Harry stood up, almost knocking his cup of pumpkin juice over. Remus had to reach over and steady the cup before it spilled on the floor.

Sirius walked in the kitchen, and Harry deflated and sat back down with a flop, sighing.

“Harry,” Sirius said, walking closer to his godson. “Please.”

“Yeah,” Harry’s voice sounded defeated. “What if you really hurt him?”

“I only stunned him,” Sirius said. “He’ll wake up.” Harry slumped back in the chair. “Forgive me, Harry.”

Harry looked at his godfather. He could see that he was remorseful, and Harry wasn’t that angry.

“You know it’s not me you need to apologize to,” Harry said. “Professor Snape is the one you should apologize to. It was him that cursed.”

“Nothing that warrants it. In the past, I’ve given as good as I got. This isn’t new.”

Hearing the soothing baritone that helped Harry through the worst of his pain, the child turned and looked at the door. Seeing his Professor standing at the door was a pleasant surprise.

A huge grin split Harry’s face, and he got up and rushed over to his Potion Professor, jumping up and wrapping his arms around the man’s neck surprising everyone in the room.

Severus quickly wrapped his arms around the child, so Harry wasn’t hanging from his neck. He couldn’t hide the shock from his face seeing Harry running towards him with the smile that brightened up the room.

“Must you plaster yourself to me like a spider monkey?” Severus whispered in the child’s ear.

“You’re awake,” Harry said, his voice muffled in Severus’ robes. “You’re okay. I’m glad you’re here.”

“I’ll always be here for you, Harry,” Severus said. After a moment, Severus patted Harry’s back. “There’s a lot that needs to be discussed, and I cannot do it with you hanging off me.”

Sirius and Remus were surprised by Harry’s reaction to Severus walking into the kitchen. Sirius was a little jealous of how Harry was treating Snivellus.

Harry slowly let go of his Professor sliding his arms off his shoulders. Harry didn’t know why something deep inside of him needed to make sure that Professor Snape was okay.

“Are you sure you’re all right?” Harry asked softly.

“I’m sure,” Severus said. “There was more behind it than just a stunning hex. Go sit down.”

Harry walked back over to the table. Severus sat next to the boy. Pushing the plate closer to the boy, Severus nonverbally told Harry to finish eating.

Without saying anything, Harry picked up his fork and started eating. After the second bite, Harry looked at his godfather, nodding towards Severus.

“Listen, Snape,” Sirius said, stumbling with his words.

“Don’t bother,” Severus said quickly. “There are more things important.”

“What’s going on, Severus?” Remus asked.

Severus looked at the boy next to him and then back at the two men across from him.

“Minerva was kidnapped,” Severus said.

Exclamations came from everyone in the kitchen. “What?!” “What happened?” “When did this happened?”

Severus held up his hand to stop the questions.

“It was a warning for me,” Severus said.

“What are you talking about?” Remus said.

Severus leaned to the side and pulled a piece of parchment from his pocket and put it on the table. Remus reached over and grabbed the parchment.

Remus always cared for Minerva. She never looked at her differently, knowing his affliction. Her door was always open for him when he was having a particularly hard day or if he had an excruciating transformation. Before Sirius, James, and Peter became animagus, Minerva would sit with him during those times of the month.

Remus read the parchment. His reaction was like Severus’ when he saw it. Sirius looked at his friend and saw his eyes changing color.

“Remus,” Sirius whispered, gripping the werewolf’s arm. “Remus, you have to calm down.”

Sirius pried the parchment out of Remus’ hand and quickly read it. With his hand still on Remus’ arm, Sirius looked at Severus.

“Do you have any idea who has her?” Sirius asked.

Severus shook his head. “I just saw the note, but I know it was by force.”

“How?” Harry asked, speaking for the first time.

“There was blood on the door jam, along with a few hair strands and a small piece of cloth from her robe.” Severus sighed. “I have to return Harry to his relatives.”

“What?” Harry said, panic rising in his voice. “No, please.” Harry started shaking his head.

“I’m sorry, Harry,” Severus said.

“It’s going to be worse,” Harry said, getting out of the chair. “They won’t leave me alone.”

Severus and Sirius stood up, trying to calm Harry down. Harry kept backing away until he was against the wall. Severus had his hands raised in a surrendering stance, saying soothing words, trying to calm the teenager down.

“Calm down, Harry,” Severus said. “You won’t be alone. I will protect you.”

“He won’t leave me alone.” Harry was panicking so much that he couldn’t hear the words his Professor was saying. “I can’t take it. It’s too hard there.”

“Harry,” Severus said softly so as not to spook the child. “Calm down. You’re working yourself into a fit.”

Severus reached Harry first. Slowly, Severus reached out his hands and touched Harry’s cheek, cupping the child’s face in his hand. Harry felt the warm touch, closed his eyes and leaned into the comforting hand. Severus took one more step towards the boy and was directly in front of Harry. Raising his other hand, Severus framed the child’s face in his hands.

“Harry,” Severus said softly. “Look at me,” Severus raised the child face up.

Harry’s eyes were glassy, looking at his Professor.

“I will not send you anywhere unprotected. I will keep you safe. That’s why we’re here.”

Tears that had threatened to come, streaked down Harry’s cheek. Severus thumbed the tears away.

“Your godfather will keep you safe,” Severus said.

Sirius was shocked at that statement. “What do you mean, Severus?”

Still looking at Harry, and in the same tone of voice, Severus said, “I will tell you the details later, let me calm Harry down.” Directing his attention to the teenager, “You will be safe. Do you trust your godfather?”

Harry nodded as best he could with his face still in Severus’ hands.

“Do you trust me?”

Again, Harry nodded.

“Then trust that I will not put you someplace and not keep you protected. It was not my original plan to take you back, but I have no choice. Your godfather will protect you.”

Harry's shoulders sagged. Severus pulled the child to him and wrapped his arms around him. Severus lowered his head until his face was buried in the child’s hair.

___000___000___000

Aberforth walked back to his tavern. It was a bright day. Usually, he didn’t pay the weather any mind. It didn’t matter to him if the sun was out or if it was cloudy. A day was just like any other day.

Now, he felt like he had a purpose. He was surprised when his younger brother came to him. Now, he was glad that he did. When he stepped inside, he saw that there were two people he wanted to see.

“You did an excellent job,” Aberforth said.

The pair turned and looked at the man coming to him.

“It wasn’t hard taking her,” Bellatrix said. “We didn’t even have to go inside.”

“Well,” Aberforth said. “The next one may be a little tougher.”

“I welcome the challenge,” Fenrir growled.

“I’m glad,” Aberforth said. “Poppy Pomphrey is the next one on your list.”

“The matron?” Bellatrix asked, laughing. “This will be fun.”

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 13: More Puzzle Pieces by mandancie

Harry wasn’t happy. The last place he wanted was to be back with his relatives. He had been gone for almost a week, so he knew that his Uncle wasn’t going to just let him in without yelling at him. If that were the only thing he would do. It had been a long time since his uncle beat him. Getting jumped by Dudley and his friends was a constant but getting hit by Uncle Vernon tapered off when Harry started going to Hogwarts. He clutched the fabric in his hand. Looking at it, he was happy that his Professor let him keep it.

Harry felt a hand fall on his shoulder. He almost jumped. He forgot that Remus was walking with him. Deep down, he had wished that Professor Snape came with him, but he was glad he wasn’t alone.

At the same time, he felt Remus’ hand; he felt fur under his arm. Harry looked down and smiled a little. Snuffles was right beside him. Cradling the cloak in one hand, Harry let his fingers absently rubbed behind the dog’s ear.

When they got to the door, Harry stood there for a second. Remus leaned down and whispered in Harry’s ear.

“Don’t worry,” Remus said. “You’ll be fine. Sirius will take care of you.”

Harry didn’t reply. He just nodded.

“Why do I have to go back?” Harry asked.

“Harry, you will not be alone,” Severus said. “I’m sure your godfather will stay by your side the entire time. Remus will talk with your relatives and make sure they understand what is expected of them.”

“You want me to talk to them?” Remus asked.

“You’re the one with the coolest head,” Severus said.

Sirius was going to say something, but thinking about it, maybe Remus did have the cooler head. Growing up, Remus was the one that was the talk of reason when he or James wanted to do something. Thinking about it, he would be the one staying with his godson, so he was fine.

“Harry,” Severus said, looking back at the child. “You will be fine. They will watch after you.”

“But what about you,” Harry whispered.

Severus looked at the boy. Hearing the plea, caught Severus by surprise.

“If everything goes as plan,” Severus said. “You’ll see me at the start of term.”

Harry looked at his teacher. He didn’t understand why they need to be near him was important. If he were asked last year, or even his first through the third year, if he wanted to be in the Potions Professor’s present, he would laugh in their face. Now, it just made him sad knowing that he would be separated from him.

“Since you’re finished eating,” Severus said. “Why don’t you go ahead and leave.”

Remus stood up, “Come, Harry.”

Sirius and Remus walked out of the kitchen, leaving Harry alone with Severus.

“Promise me. I’ll see you later,” Harry said gripping the cloak that was still around his shoulders. He felt like a fool saying that, but he couldn’t help it.

“Why wouldn’t you?” Severus asked. “I’ll be at the head table when you arrive with your friends.”

Harry sighed. His brow furrowed. “Okay,” Harry said. He didn’t understand why not seeing the Professor until the start of school upset him. He looked down at his hands and saw that he was still gripping Professor Snape’s cloak. The boy shrugged his shoulders, letting the cloak slide off of him. He held it out to Snape.

Severus looked down at his cloak and saw the tight grip Harry had on it. He didn’t need it back as he had several cloaks in his chambers. Severus put his hands over Harry’s and pushed them softly towards Harry.

“I’ll tell you what,” Severus said. “Hold on to this, and I will collect it at the beginning of the semester.”

Harry's grip hadn’t let go of the cloak since then. He raised his hand to knock on the door. There was movement heard from the other side. A few moments later, the door was yanked open by a man the size of the doorway.

“You have some gall coming back,” Vernon snarled. “What are you doing here, boy?”

“May I come in?” Harry asked.

“No one would take your ungrateful tale, would they?” Vernon said. There was a sneer in his voice. “Well, you will not come back in here.”

For a second, the thought of not returning to this hellhole made Harry’s heart flutter. It meant he could stay with his Professor, but it quickly deflated when Remus spoke.

“I’m sorry,” Remus said. “You must be under the delusion that you have a choice. For your family to be safe, Harry must live here.”

After everything his relatives put him through, Harry didn’t care if they were safe or not. But he kept his mouth closed.

“Who the bloody hell are you?” Vernon said.

Vernon was so intent on belittling Harry that he didn’t notice that there was another person on his stoop.

“My name is Remus Lupin. I’m one of Harry’s professors at Hogwarts.”

“Don’t you dare say that school in front of me,” Vernon growled. He reached out to Harry, grabbing his shirt and pulling the boy towards him. “What have you been spreading about us? What lies have you told?”

Vernon pulled the child with so quickly and with such force that it took Remus by surprise. Remus could see Harry trying to struggle out of his uncle’s grip. Snuffles didn’t take any time pouncing on the rotund man.

Vernon instantly let Harry go and started battling with this mangy dog.

“Get off,” Vernon roared. “Get off of me!”

“Snuffles,” Remus said calmly. “That’s enough.”

Snuffles turned his head and looked at Remus. Remus had a hand on Harry’s shoulder, while the other one was rubbing his back, trying to calm the child down.

“After that outburst,” Remus said. “I believe we’ve caused a bit of a scene. If you don’t want the rest of this conversation for others’ ears, I suggest we take this inside.”

“You will not bring that mutt in this house!” Vernon demanded.

Remus nodded. “Yes, you will. Inside, Snuffles.”

Snuffles didn’t stand in the doorway another second before he rushed past Vernon going in the house. There was a scream coming from inside the house.

“Vernon! There is a dog sitting on my sofa!”

“Mummy, a dog is trying to eat my food!”

“VERNON!”

“It seems you have a bit of a problem going on inside,” Remus said calmly.

Harry was trying his best not to laugh but was not successful. Remus looked around and saw people were coming out of their homes. A few who were walking in the neighborhood were stopping in front of the house looking, trying to figure out what was going on.

“Shall we continue here,” Remus said, looking back at Vernon. “Or will you allow us inside.”

Vernon looked at the gathering crowd. The last thing he wanted was to allow these freaks in this house, but it was true, they were causing a scene.

“Get in,” Vernon sneered quietly.

Remus put his arm around Harry and escorted the child inside. After Dursley manhandled his cub, the last thing he wanted was to make Harry an easy target again.

Vernon quickly closed the door, leaving everyone who was gaping their way at the house to go back to their business.

___000___000___000

Severus had mix feelings watching Harry leave with the mutt and wolf. As much as he didn’t trust the mutt, Severus knew that Sirius would protect his godson. Though the potions master couldn’t get that nagging feeling when he and Harry separated.

Severus apparated after leaving Grimmauld Place, going to his home in Spinner’s End. He was planning on staying here for a moment before heading back to Hogwarts. But the knock on his front door changed that plan. Not expecting anyone, Severus pulled out his wand and walked to the door.

Waving his wand, Severus cleared the way the door so that he could see who was on the other side. To say he was shocked was an understatement. Putting his wand back, he opened the door.

“Hello, Severus, may I come in.”

Severus moved aside and let the two women come in. Severus escorted the two women to his sitting room. Narcissa lowered her shawl from over her head, sitting on the threadbare sofa.

The other woman didn’t sit down. She was walking around, looking at the meager items in the room. Severus knew it was Bellatrix.

“I’m surprised to see you, Narcissa,” Severus said. “Can I offer you something to drink?”

“No, thank you, Severus,” Narcissa said. “I’ve come to ask for your help.”

“I don’t know why you want to ask this coward to do anything,” Bellatrix snarled, holding one of the small trinkets from Severus’ small mantel.

“We mustn’t touch what isn’t yours,” Severus said smoothly. “And don’t be jealous because the Dark Lord has entrusted me with his plans and not you.”

“You know his plans?” Bellatrix asked, incredulously.

“I’m well-informed of many of the Dark Lord’s plans,” Severus said.  

Bellatrix fumed as she put the trinket back on the mantel a lot harder than necessary. Severus just smirked at her; then, he put his attention on Narcissa.

“You came here for what in particular,” Severus said.

“You know the Dark Lord wants Draco to do something?” Narcissa asked.

“I’m aware,” Severus said. “But what does it have to do with me?”

“Draco’s just a boy. My only child. He could probably not survive this,” Narcissa said, trying not to cry.

“Probably not,” Severus said, callously. “It is basically a punishment for your husband’s blunder.”

“He didn’t do it,” Narcissa said, standing up from the sofa.

“It’s not my mind you need to change. The Dark Lord has made his decision.” Severus said, unperturbed by Narcissa’s outburst. “So, what are you doing here?”

“I wanted to ask if you could watch over Draco during the school year?” Narcissa said. Her voice sounded defeated, sitting back down.

“Watch over him,” Severus said, quizzically. “For what reason? I have no vested stock in what Draco Malfoy does. Outside his work in school and that he follows the rules.”

“He’s your godson,” Narcissa said.

“No,” Severus said, sitting down on the sofa next to Narcissa. “No, he’s not. You made sure of that.”

“But…”

“My answer is final,” Severus said, standing back up. “Good day, ladies.”

“I told you, he wouldn’t help,” Bellatrix said. “He’s nothing but a coward.”

Narcissa looked up at Severus and saw that he was serious. He would not save her son. There was a small part of her that wished she never withdrew Severus as Draco’s godfather. She saw what it did to her Dragon, but it was necessary.

Defeated, Narcissa stood up and walked out of the house. Bellatrix felt that she had to make one more stab at the Potion Master. She never liked Severus even when they were in school when she got to Severus' side.

“You think you’re so special,” Bellatrix sneered. “But I know a lot about you. Like your mother and aunt. You think you made everyone believe that they mean nothing to you, but I know differently. You better keep your eye on them. You just might lose them.”

Severus didn’t like what he was hearing, but it didn’t show on his face. He looked down at the woman that was trying to get a rise out of him. As quickly as he could, he delved into her mind and saw what she was talking about. He saw that she and Fenrir were talking to a hooded person at Hog’s Head Tavern. He saw them talking about his mother and their next target: Poppy. Severus withdrew from Bellatrix when she finished her rant.

Severus said nothing in response. He just watched Bellatrix leave his house. Once he knew they were gone, Severus apparated to his house in Manchester. It would be better if he floo’ed to his chambers from there instead of his Spinner’s End address.

___000___000___000

Poppy finished up her list for Severus. Putting the clipboard down on the shelf, Poppy stretched her arms above her head. It straightened her back and relaxed her neck. She knew standing in one spot for a long period would make her stiff. But she was happy to be finished finally. And in good time. The list wasn’t as long as she expected so Severus would have plenty of time to get these finished.

Walking out of her cupboard, she walked towards her office so she could take a mild muscle relaxer to soothe her back and neck muscles. While walking towards her office, she heard some rustling noise. Looking around, the matron didn’t see anything. It wasn’t that alarming to her as the castle was old and made several creaking noises. She continued her trek and passing the row of cots. She started feeling nervous. It was the urge to get to the sanctuary of her office. There was another rustling sound that had her looking around. She still was the only person in the room. Quickening her pace, she headed to her office. Almost at the door, she felt someone put their hand on her shoulder. A shriek escaped her mouth, turning towards the person holding her.

“It’s just me.”

“Oh Severus,” Poppy said, lightly smacking his arm. “You scared me.”

“We need to get out of here,” Severus said.

“What’s wrong?” Poppy asked.

“Whoever took mother, is coming for you,” Severus said.

“What? Why?”

“I don’t know,” Severus said, gripping Poppy by her elbow and heading towards her fireplace.

There was a loud crack. Before Severus could grab the floo powder, a flash of light let him know that someone cast a spell. As fast as he could, Severus wordlessly and wandlessly cast a Protego over the two of them, but it wasn’t fast enough. Poppy was hit from behind, collapsing in Severus’ arms.

Before the next spell could be sent, Severus sent a cutting hex towards the area he believed the curse came from. At the same time, throwing down the powder and escaping through the green flames.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 14: Out of the Frying Pan by mandancie
Author's Notes:
I am so sorry for the long hiatus on this story. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Minerva paced back and forth. She didn’t know how long she would be in this room. She was still puzzled by what Aberforth said. How was she insurance?

The only thing that comes to mind thinking that she was being used as insurance was her son. Someone is making Severus do something he wouldn’t ordinarily do. The question is, what.

Minerva continued to pace a few more times when the reason revealed itself to her. Harry. They think that Severus has something to do with Harry. Maybe why Harry was missing, if they believe that Severus has Harry, then holding her hostage would be the incentive to have her son do what they want.

She needed to find a way out of this place. Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard the lock click on the door. Minerva stepped back from the door but didn’t sit down. She watched as someone walked in. She was surprised by who walked in.

“Good afternoon, Professor.”

“Why are you here?” Minerva asked. She stared up at the blond aristocrat in front of her.

“Professor McGonagall,” Lucius tsked. “There’s no need for hysterics. I would never get my hands dirty.”

“I’m not hysterical,” Minerva said, smoothly. “You were always a pompous fool even when you were in school. Thinking that everyone was supposed to bow to you.”

“Now, why would you say those harsh words to the person who is going to release you?” Lucius asked smoothly.

“You’re releasing me?” Minerva asked. Her brow quirked upward.

“The jobs finished,” Malfoy said, walking further into the room. “Your involvement is finished. Stupefy.”

Minerva’s body flew back against the far wall and slid down to the ground.

___000___000___000

Draco was sitting in his room. He wanted to stay invisible to everyone in the house. He didn’t like that the Dark Lord was in the house along with his aunt. His aunt scared him all his life. Having Voldemort in the Manor now was a nightmare.

An elf popped in Draco’s room.

“Master Draco,” Tippy said. “the Dark Lord be wanting you.”

All the color drained from Draco’s face. He didn’t want to go, but if he didn’t, Draco knew he would be punished. What he would give to have his Uncle Sev and Aunt Minnie with him now.

Draco walked into the library. Again, Voldemort was sitting in the chair close to the fireplace.

“Come in, Draco,” Voldemort said.

Draco walked over to the chair. Standing next to Voldemort gave Draco a shiver up and down his spine. Voldemort held out a pale white bony hand to the chair opposite him. Draco took it as an invitation to sit. Doing so, Draco kept his gaze to the floor with his hands clasped together.

“There is still a month and a half before you go back to school,” Voldemort said.

Even though it sounded like a question, Draco knew it was a statement, so he kept his mouth shut.

“Your task I want you to do is…”

Draco walked back to his room in a daze. It can’t be. He couldn’t. It was impossible. Why her? Anyone else but her.

Tears blurred his eyes; he was going to die. He just knew it. There was no way he could do this and be successful. Draco knew he needed help. It was just there was no one alive that would or could help him.

___000___000___000

Severus landed in Grimmauld Place with Poppy in his arms.

“What happened?”

Severus looked up and saw Remus coming towards him.

“We were attacked in the Infirmary,” Severus said. Remus helped Severus hold Poppy. “We need to go to St. Mungo’s. I don’t know what spell that went through my protection charm.”

Seconds later, Severus and Remus side-along apparated with Poppy in their arms to St. Mungo’s.

“A little help here,” Remus called out.

A few medi-witches and healers rush towards them, taking Poppy from their hands.

“What happened?” one of the healers asked.

“We were attacked,” Severus said, “She was hit with an unknown curse.”

Severus and Remus followed until they couldn’t go any further. They stood and watched the door that Poppy was taken down. Remus turned and put his hand on Severus’ shoulder, urging him to walk away.

They were attacking his family, Severus thought. What is going on?

Remus and Severus went to the waiting area. They sat in silence for a while before Severus started talking.

“How did it go with Harry’s relatives?”

“Yeah,” Remus sighed. “Don’t ever have me do that again.”

“What happened?” Severus asked.

“Do you know how hard it was to keep Moony at bay?” Remus said. “It was a good thing that the full moon was last week.”

“Did you check on Harry before you left?” Severus asked.

Remus smirked, looking at Severus. This was the same man that complained about Harry the entire year he worked at Hogwarts.

“What’s so funny?” Severus growled.

“I didn’t know you cared about Harry,” Remus said, smiling.

Severus harrumphed as he got up from his chair.

“I’m going to stretch my legs,” Severus said.

Severus walked out of the room, hearing Remus snicker behind him.

Severus sighed as he walked down the corridor. He didn’t understand these new feelings he had for the child. Severus no longer saw him as a spoiled brat flaunting his fame around everyone. He was a vulnerable child, just wanting to be loved and cared for. Severus can still remember how he felt when he saw Harry’s bruised, broken body on the ground of that tunnel. Or when he held the child when he and Poppy had to pop his arm back in its socket. He could still hear the sound in his head.

Severus was brought out of his musing when he heard rushed movement at the end of the corridor. When he walked towards the chaos, he saw who the Healers were fussing over.

“Mother,” Severus whispered.

“What happened?” Severus asked, his voice louder. “What happened to her?”

“Sir,” one of the medi-witches said, walking over to Severus. “You need to stay back.”

“That’s my mother,” Severus growled. “Now, what happened?”

The poor medi-witch got firsthand why Severus Snape incited fear in his students: being referred to as the evil bat of the dungeon. The blood ran cold in her veins.

“What happened?” Severus said again.

“We’re trying to find out,” the medi-witch said. “I will come and get you when we know more.”

Severus watched as they rolled his mother in the same double doors Poppy went through. Severus turned back down the corridor. Remus came out of the waiting room and saw Severus storming towards him.

“What happened?” Remus asked.

“Mother’s here,” Severus said. “She was taken to the back.”

___000___000___000

Bellatrix and Fenrir stumbled into Hog’s Head Tavern.

“That blasted Half-blood,” Bellatrix cursed.

She was cradling her arm against her chest. She walked over to the far end table. A trail of blood followed.

Fenrir stumbled to the other side of the table where Bellatrix was sitting.

“Are you going to live?” Fenrir asked though his tone didn’t register if he cared or not.

“I’ll be fine,” Bellatrix sneered.

“What happened to you two?”

Bellatrix and Fenrir looked to see the hooded man that gave them assignments walking towards them.

“Nothing you should worry about?” Bellatrix said.

“Oh, really,” the man said, walking over to Fenrir was sitting. “Move,” he ordered.

Fenrir just looked at him, defiance in his eyes. He was the alfa wolf; he didn’t take orders from anybody.

The hooded man stood in his spot for a second before waving his hand. Fenrir was tossed out of the chair across the room, slamming into the wall. Bellatrix had a look of surprise on her face. The hooded man sat down as if nothing happened.

“Now,” he said. “You say there is nothing to worry about.”

“Yes,” Bellatrix said.

“Well, then tell me why Poppy Pomfrey is now being taken care of at St. Mungo’s?” he yelled, slamming his fist on the table. “She is supposed to be dead.”

He looked down and saw that Bellatrix was bleeding. Gripping her arm tightly, Bellatrix gritted her teeth to keep from yelling out. When he let go of her, her arm was healed.

“Since you two are incompetent to take out Poppy Pomfrey. There is no reason to have you try again. As long as she is in St. Mungo’s, she is protected.”

“We can finish the job,” Bellatrix said. “She just had help the last time. If we had her alone, she would be dead.”

“Help? What kind of help?”

“Severus Snape,” Bellatrix said.

The hooded man cursed under his breath. “You can’t kill either one of them now.”

“Yes, I can,” Bellatrix said adamantly.

“Now, that Snape knows Poppy is targeted,” he said. “He will not leave either her or Minerva unprotected. You really screwed up.”

He sighed. He looked over to where the werewolf landed. He waved his hand, waking Fenrir.

“Get over here,” the hooded man ordered. “I have one more place I need you to go.”

Fenrir sat down next to Bellatrix. The wolf said nothing.

“Where are we going this time?” Bellatrix asked.

“No. 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging,” he responded.

“Who’s there?” Fenrir growled.

“You’ll see when you get there,” he said. “You will go tomorrow night.”

___000___000___000

 “What? Where has she been?” Remus asked.

Remus was happy to know that she now safe, but the question now is: who would take her?

“She was unconscious,” Severus said, shaking his head. “I have to wait. They took her back to where Poppy is.”

Severus started pacing in the room. There was silence between the two wizards. Remus broke the silence.

“Did she look okay?” Remus asked.

“She looked asleep, but…” Severus said, shrugging.

He didn’t finish his thought because a medi-witch came into the room.

“Mr. Snape,” she said. “I’m Sarah.”

Severus and Remus walked over to her.

“How are they?” Severus asked.

“Matron Pomfrey suffered some internal injuries,” Sarah said. “But, she’s stable.”

“My mother?”

“She was stunned,” Sarah said. “She’s awake and resting comfortably.”

“Where are they?” Remus asked.

“I’ll take you to them now.”

Sarah turned back out of the room with two wizards following. It didn’t take long to get to Minerva’s room.

Before they went in, Remus asked, “Where Poppy?”

“She’s a couple of rooms down,” Sarah said.

“I want them in the same room,” Severus’ ordered.

“I don’t think that will be possible,” Sarah said. “It’s against the hospital—”

Severus turned around, facing the small woman. He started advancing on her. Remus put his hand on Severus’ chest to keep him from moving more.

“I don’t care what your policies are,” Severus growled. “They are going to be in the same room.”

“You can’t scare the staff,” Remus whispered in Severus’ ear. “I’ll talk to whoever is in charge and see about getting Poppy in Minerva’s room.”

When Remus stopped feeling resistance from Severus, he turned his attention to Sarah.

“Take me to your Administrator,” Remus said.

The fear in Sarah’s eyes expressed that she was ready to get away from the imposing man in black.

“Uh, this way,” Sarah said.

Remus clapped his hand on Severus’ shoulder and followed Sarah down the corridor. Severus took a few deep breaths. He didn’t mean to jump down the poor girl’s throat. It’s just been a stressful day. He had no idea how his mother was going to react to him when she saw him. Did she still feel disappointed in him?

Severus opened the door. Minerva was lying on the bed resting. Severus never felt as nervous as he does right now. He has faced the Dark Lord, and Dumbledore and his palms didn’t sweat like this. A part of him wanted to turn and leave the room before his mother opened her eyes.

His plan of leaving evaporated when his mother opened her eyes.

“Severus,” Minerva said.

The last person Minerva thought she would see was her son. She hadn’t seen her son since Harry went missing from the Infirmary. She was so worried about what was going on.

“Oh, Severus,” Minerva said, holding out her arms, beckoning her son to come to her. “I was so worried about you.”

Severus was confused. But he slowly walked towards Minerva. When he got close enough for her to reach him, she pulled him into her arms, hugging her adopted son tightly.

“I’m so happy to see you,” Minerva whispered in Severus’ ear. She kissed his temple. She pushed Severus arm’s length so she could get a good look at her son.

Severus was confused. She was the same person that didn’t want to see him again. Part of him was shocked that she was holding him. Another part felt like trash because he was clinging to her. He tried to push down both feelings. His mother was here, in his arms, safe and sound.

“Where were you?” Minerva asked again.

“I thought you were angry with me,” Severus said.

“What? Why?” Minerva asked.

“You said I disgusted you,” Severus said. “I told you I had to take Potter back, and you got angry.”

“So, you did have Harry?” Minerva asked.

“Of course, I had Harry,” Severus said, moving away from Minerva. “You knew I had Harry. You told me in my lab that you were disgusted with me because I took Harry back.”

Minerva had never seen Severus act like this. He never backed away from her. She looked at his face, and she could see the fear in his eyes.

“Severus,” Minerva said. “When did I ever say I was disgusted with you?”

Severus looked at Minerva as if she had two heads. Why was she acting like she didn’t remember? She was the one who said it.

“In my lab,” Severus said.

Minerva looked at her son. Something is not right.

“Severus,” Minerva said. “The last time I saw you was when you, Poppy, and I had tea in my chambers.”

“That’s impossible,” Severus said, his brow furrowed. Then as if a light lit the darkest part of a cave, Severus realized what happened. He closed his eyes and lowered his head.

Albus, Severus thought, angrily. He is determined to drive a wedge between us.

Just as fast as the anger flowed through Severus’ veins, relief flooded just as fast. His mother wasn’t disgusted with him. He didn’t have to doubt if his mother still loved him, cared for him.

Without saying a word, Severus walked back to Minerva and fell into her embrace again. For the first time since he got out of school, he buried his head in her shoulder. Out of everything Severus has been through, knowing that his mother still loved him, lifted a huge weight off his heart. For the first time in a long time, tears streamed down his cheeks.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 15: And Into The Fire by mandancie

While Remus talked with Vernon and Petunia, Harry went upstairs with Snuffles. Harry walked into his room, closing the door behind his godfather.

Snuffles looked around the room and let out a whine at the state of the room. The broken cupboard. The padlock on Hedwig’s cage. The so-called bed Harry was currently sitting on.

Harry sighed and looked at the dog.

“Doesn’t seem too exciting, does it?” Harry asked.

Snuffles change to Sirius. He waved his wand casting a silencing charm on the door.

“Cub,” Sirius said, kneeling in front of Harry. “Will you talk to me?”

Harry looked at his godfather. He had a blank look on his face.

“I’m not mad, Sirius,” Harry said. “I was just hurt. But Professor Snape said it was fine.” Harry shrugged.

Sirius stood up and walked around the small room. “This is where you’ve been living?”

Harry nodded. “Yeah. Better than where it was before.”

Sirius turned and faced Harry. “Where were you staying before?”

Harry said nothing.

Sirius walked over to the rickety desk and saw the picture on it. He couldn’t help the sad smile on his face.

“You know, I was the one that took this picture,” Sirius commented, showing Harry his parents.

A light sparked in Harry’s eyes. Harry got off the bed and walked over to Sirius.

“Really?” Harry asked. “Where were you? I’ve always wanted to know the story behind this picture. Why were they laughing?”

Sirius smiled, watching Harry fire off question after question. It’s been a long time since he saw the hope in the boy.

“Okay,” Sirius said, stopping the questions. “We were in Godric’s Hollow. I was with James when Lily came and met us.”

Sirius and Harry sat down on the bed. Harry’s eyes didn’t leave his parent’s picture.

“The reason they were smiling and dancing was because Lily had some news for James,” Sirius said, smiling.

“What news did she have?” Harry asked, looking at his parents dancing.

“She found out she was going to have you,” Sirius said, wrapping his arm around Harry’s shoulders.

Harry couldn’t believe his ears. He looked up at Sirius, shocked. He looked down at the photo again. Watching his dad twirling his mum around and then lean in a kissed her.

She was pregnant with me, Harry thought.

The pounding of steps disrupted Harry’s musing. Harry snatched his parents’ picture from Sirius’ hands. Waving his hand, Sirius canceling the charm and changing back. Harry sat down on the bed, with Snuffles lying on the bed next to him. There was a pounding on the door.

Snuffles laid his head on Harry’s lap, giving him some support. The door swung open. Harry’s grip on Snuffles tightened.

“How dare you bring these freaks with you,” Vernon growled.

Vernon walked towards Harry, ready to dish out punishment. Snuffles stood on the bed, growling at Vernon, keeping him back from his godson.

“This mutt will not stay here,” Vernon ordered. “Take him out of here.”

Harry didn’t say anything. Vernon didn’t like being ignored. He lunged for Harry, but before he reached Harry, Snuffle jumped on the bed next to Harry and placed his front paws on Harry’s lap and snapped at Vernon’s hand. Vernon shrieked, removing his hand.

Harry couldn’t hold it back. He snickered. He’d never heard that sound come from his uncle.

“This mutt is not staying here,” Vernon bellowed.

“I think he is,” Harry said softly.

Harry shocked himself when he said that out loud. He never talked back to his relatives. He guessed it was since his godfather was here giving him.

“How dare you talk to me like that?” Vernon said. He was astounded.

Harry stood up and walked up to Vernon. His head held tall. Snuffles stood next to him.

“My dog stays,” Harry said. There was confidence in his tone.

If Snuffles could smile, he would be beaming.

“I will not stand for this,” Vernon growled, pointing his finger at Harry.

Snuffles growled. Vernon back away and left out of the room, slamming the door. Harry turned and sat back down on the bed. Snuffles walked over to the bed and put his head on the bed.

“Yeah,” Harry said, rubbing Snuffles’ head. “I’ll hear about this in the morning.” Snuffles whines. “I’m not worried. I’ve had worse, but I know you’re here.” Harry leaned down and put his forehead on Snuffles’ head.

Later, Harry laid down on the bed. Snuffles changed to Sirius and looked at Harry while he slept. He saw that Harry still had Severus’ cloak in his hand. Sirius looked at the so-called blankets Harry had and shook his head. What were you subjected to, Pronglet? Sirius carefully pulled Snape’s cloak from Harry’s hand and draped it over Harry. Sirius patted Harry’s head.

“Sleep well, Pronglet,” Sirius whispered. He turned back into Snuffles, curled on the floor, and went to sleep.

___000___000___000

Remus walked in Minerva’s room. Severus was standing by the window on the far wall.

“Remus,” Minerva said. She was surprised to see him; Severus turned to face the door. “What brings you here?”

Remus looked from Minerva to Severus.

“I didn’t tell her,” Severus said.

“Tell me what?” Minerva said, looking from one wizard to the other.

“Poppy was rushed here,” Remus said.

“What?”

“Mother,” Severus said, walking to the side of her bed. “Poppy and I were attacked in the Infirmary. I brought her here. That’s why we’re here. Then you were brought in.” Severus turned his attention to Remus. “Were you able to get Poppy moved?”

“Yes,” Remus said nodding. “They’re bringing her now. A few of the medi-witches don’t want you tearing down the place.”

Severus saw the mirth in Remus’ eyes and smirked.

The medi-witch came in, followed by a bed with Poppy lying on it. The matron waved her wand and slid Minerva’s bed closer to the wall. Once Poppy was placed in the room, the matron left the room without saying a word.

Severus walked over to the door, closing it, casting a privacy charm on the door.

Poppy started to wake up.

“Severus,” Poppy slurred.

Severus went to the side of Poppy’s bed.

“I’m right here, Poppy,” Severus softly said.

Severus held her hand. And put his other hand on her head, rubbing her forehead with his thumb.

“How are you feeling?” Severus asked.

“I’ll be fine,” Poppy said, smirking. “It takes more than a jinx to stop me. You know that.”

“Mother’s here,” Severus said, stepping out of her line of sight to Minerva.

“Minerva,” Poppy whispered, turning to the side. “Where were you? How are you?”

“I’m fine,” Minerva said. “Who did this to you?”

“I don’t know,” Poppy said. “Severus came to me, telling me that someone was after me.”

Both women put their attention on Severus.

“It is looking like the Dark Lord is coming after you two,” Severus said.

“Us?” Poppy asked though it sounded like a statement. “Why?”

Minerva looked over at Poppy then to her adopted son.

“They’re trying to get you?” Minerva asked, looking at her son.

“It’s looking that way,” Severus said. “I don’t know what is being planned. He’s telling me one thing but going to others saying something else.”

“Do you think he knows of your relationships with Poppy and Minerva?” Remus asked.

“I know I haven’t portrayed it,” Severus replied. “But that doesn’t mean that someone figured something from the past. A few people knew that you adopted me,” looking at Minerva.

“So, what can we do?” Minerva said.

“Your kidnapping was blackmail,” Severus said.

“You did what they wanted,” Poppy said. “Why still come after me?”

“That’s the question of the day,” Remus said.

Severus had a theory but didn’t voice it. He wasn’t sure if he were correct or not.

“Severus,” Minerva said. “What were they using me to blackmail you with?”

Severus looked at Remus and then to his mother.

“I had Harry,” Severus said.

“That’s why you left Hogwarts?” Minerva asked.

Severus nodded.

“I’ve always felt something wasn’t right about that,” Minerva said, slightly shaking her head. “It wasn’t like you to just disappear from me.”

“People knew,” Severus continued, “that Harry was with me instead of his relatives.”

Severus pulled a piece of parchment out of his pocket and handed it to his mother.

“I had to give Harry back, or they would kill you.”

Minerva didn’t say anything. What could she say? There was silence in the room.

Both wizards kept vigil over the two witches that done everything they could for them.

___000___000___000

There was never a dull day at the Burrow. The family of redheads was always busy. This night, Molly had several things working at the same time. She was cooking dinner while she charmed the brush to scrub the dirty pots when she was finished with them. She also had her needlework going to get a head start on her Christmas jumpers.

It was the usual noise happening within the house. Arthur was due to come home soon. Bill and Charlie were “free men” as they called it. Percy was upstairs in his room, secluded behind a silencing charm so he could read in peace. The twins were in their room doing something that Molly hoped wouldn’t cause the house to burn down. Ron and Ginny were in Ron’s room, having a heated discussion about their favorite Quidditch team.

The sudden pounding on the stairs let Molly know her children were coming down the stairs. And in a hurry.

“Hey, ma,” George said.

“We’re outside,” Fred said.

Neither boy waited to see if she would respond or not. Molly just learned that as long as they didn’t break anyone or anything, she would let them do what they wanted. With seven children, she learned to pick her battles.

It got a little quieter when the twins left. Molly went to the bottom of the stairs.

“Ginny,” Molly called out.

“Yeah, ma,” Ginny’s reply.

“Come down here,” Molly said. “I need your help with something.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Molly could hear snickering. “Ronald.”

“Ma’am,” came Ron’s quivering reply.

“If that room isn’t clean before I come up there, you will have a conversation with my spoon.”

“But ma,” Ron whined. “It’s fine.”

“Shall I come up there and see?” Molly asked, walking up a few steps.

“No, ma’am,” Ron said quickly.

Molly nodded and walked back into the kitchen.

Arthur came home and went straight to the kitchen because he knew that’s where his lovely wife would be.

“I’m home,” Arthur announced when he stood in the kitchen doorway.

“Wonderful,” Molly said. “Dinner is almost ready, why don’t you go relax, and I’ll call you when it’s done.”

Arthur kissed Molly on the cheek. Ginny was helping her mum in the kitchen. Arthur walked over to her and kissed her on the head and left the kitchen.

“Oh, Arthur,” Molly called out. “What were the twins doing when you came in?”

“The twins being the twins,” Arthur answered.

Molly shrugged and went back to her work.

Fred and George have been working on a firework that would change into a dragon emitting lots of sparks and whistles. They’ve worked with several different mixes of powder, hoping to get the right combination.

This was their first test.

“Okay, this should be far enough away from the house,” George said.

“Set it against this,” Fred said, hovering a few rocks towards them.

“Alright, Gred,” George said.

“Ready when you are Forge,” Fred said.

George put the firework down, leaning it against the rock. Fred pulled out his wand to light it.

“5…4…3…2…”

Ron was in his room, finishing up. It wasn’t as messy as his mum claimed; there were only a few clothes on the floor. Not enough to get fussy about, but he didn’t want to take the chance and have to deal with his mum’s spoon. She welded a mean spoon when she was upset.

BOOM!

Ron went to his window. Being Ron’s room was at the top of the house, he could see more of the Burrow than any of the others.

There was a huge firework. Ron knew his brothers had been busy. They made the firework come out like a dragon. It was huge. Ron figured that it was the size of the house. Ron laughed to himself as he went back to cleaning his room.

The smile soon left as it felt like eels swimming around in his stomach. He was feeling odd. Ron didn’t know why, but he needed to get out of the room. He tried to fight the urge to leave as he didn’t want his mum to come up here and say that his room wasn’t clean. Ron’s hands started shaking. Beads of sweat were on his forehead. The feel of eels changed to the giant squid squirming around in his stomach. He had to get out of his room.

Arthur heard the bang from his room, he stepped out and heard Molly screaming. She obviously rushing out of the house. The twins, Arthur thought. Heading down the stairs, Arthur was stopped by a sound. It was the feet hitting the wooden stairs. Arthur didn’t get a chance to chastise his son because he ran past him, almost knocking Arthur to the floor.

Molly was out the door when she heard the blast. When she got to where her twins were, she saw Fred cradling his hand against his chest. Both boys had black soot on their faces. Molly got to Fred’s side and was on her knees, looking over her son’s hand.

Before Molly could even ask her first question, her youngest son rushed out of the house and barreled his way into Fred’s arms. Ron was almost straddling Fred’s lap; Ron’s arms tightly around Fred’s neck. Molly was shocked at Ron’s actions. Fred just opened his arms when he saw Ron coming and wrapped his arms around his brother. He was careful not to rub his burnt hand against Ron’s clothes. George, who was kneeling beside his twin, rubbed Ron’s back as to soothe his brother.

Arthur came outside and was surprised at what he was seeing. Usually, the twins and Ron were antagonizing each other, but now, they are comforting each other. It was the level of comfort that was intriguing to the patriarch of the family.

___000___000___000

The next morning, Harry woke up to someone banging on the door.

“Boy,” Petunia screeched. “Boy, get up. Make breakfast!”

Harry stretched in the bed.

It was all a dream, Harry thought. A wonderful dream. He was now back to reality.

Harry would have continued believing that if two things didn’t happen. Harry put his arms down, and his cover didn’t feel the same. He gripped the cloth and brought it to his face, and the smell just filled a calm in his heart he didn’t know was empty. His Professor. It wasn’t a dream.

Whining brought Harry out of his musing.

Harry looked over the end of the bed and saw a gigantic dog curled on the floor. Snuffles.

A huge smile broke across Harry’s face; it wasn’t a dream. It happened. Swinging his legs off the bed, Harry wrapped the robe around him before laying it on the bed, standing up.

“Snuffles,” Harry said. “Come on. It’s time to get up. I want to let you go, and then I got to make breakfast.”

Snuffles stretched and followed Harry out of the room. Their first stop was the bathroom. After Harry was finished, the boy made his trek down to the kitchen. He let Snuffles out to the back to take care of business, and Harry started on breakfast.

While Harry was cooking, Snuffles came back in and laid down behind Harry and kept watch. Harry placed the finished food on the table. He was about to walk away when Snuffles whined.

“What?” Harry asked the dog.

Snuffles put his front paws on the chair.

“I’m not allowed to eat,” Harry said, shrugging his shoulders.

Before Snuffles could react to that statement, Vernon and Dudley came downstairs.

“Out of the way, freak,” Dudley said, pushing Harry into the wall.

Snuffles growled, rushing towards the rotund boy. Dudley gave a high-pitched squeak, trying to get out of the range of the dog. Harry couldn’t help but laugh.

“I told you about that dog,” Vernon bellowed.

“Sorry, Uncle Vernon,” Harry said, still smiling. “What can I do? We’re together.”

Harry left before Vernon could respond to the boy. Harry and Sirius spent the day walking around the neighborhood. Harry liked that he was leisurely walking, not having to worry about anything.

When Harry and Snuffles were in a secluded part of the street, Snuffles would change back to Sirius.

Harry was worried that someone would recognize Sirius, but Sirius didn’t care. He was enjoying spending this time with his godson. They walked together and talked. Even though Sirius didn’t care, Harry didn’t want to take that chance, so he walked towards isolated parts of town. They talked about school, but when the conversation went to his life with his relatives, Harry didn’t answer them, or he would change the subject. Sirius didn’t push.

It was getting later in the day, and Harry was getting tired, so Sirius changed back into Snuffles, and they walked back to Number 4. When Harry walked in the door, Aunt Petunia started barking orders.

“Where have you been?” Petunia shrieked.

“Out,” Harry said.

“Why you little,” Petunia said, walking over to Harry. She raised her hand as if to slap him, but the growl from the dog changed her mind.

Trying to save face, Petunia barked, “Go make dinner,” pointing towards the kitchen

Harry smirked and walked into the kitchen, followed by Snuffles. While Harry was cooking, Vernon came home. Harry could hear his aunt and uncle talking in the hallway. Vernon stormed into the kitchen.

“Look, you little freak,” Vernon said, towering over Harry. “You have that dog attack, my wife.”

“I did not,” Harry said. “She was going to hit me, and Snuffles stopped her.”

Vernon fumed. His face was turning purple; he was so angry. No amount of money is worth this.

“I didn’t want you to come back. When you disappeared, those few days were the best days for the last 14 years. Now you’re back, and I must put up with your filth. I don’t care how much money we’re offered that dog,” pointing to Snuffles, “will not stay here.”

Money offered, Harry thought. Someone paid his relatives for him to come back.

The growl from Snuffles brought Harry out of his dark musing. He looked at Snuffles and saw Snuffles slowly creeping towards his uncle. Then it happened…

“AAAAHHHHH!” Vernon yelled.

Harry looked at Snuffles and back at Vernon, trying to hop around, trying to hold his posterior. When Vernon turned around, Harry saw that part of Vernon’s pants were ripped. Harry couldn’t help the snort to pass his lips, his hands covering his mouth to hold in the laugh.

Petunia came downstairs to see what the problem was, and she saw Vernon screaming.

“Vernon,” Petunia called. “What happened?”

“Get out of my house!” Vernon screamed. “You are not welcomed here!”

Harry looked at his Aunt and Uncle. As much as he wanted to grant their request, he knew he couldn’t.

“As much as I would like to leave this hellhole,” Harry said. “I can’t. Not until the start of school.”

Harry turned and walked up to his room. Snuffles followed. When Harry closed the door to his room, Snuffles changed to Sirius. The animagus waved his hand and put a silencing charm on the door. Harry turned to his godfather and burst out laughing. The sight of his uncle being bitten helped Harry to get out of those depressing thoughts of them being paid for Harry staying there.  

“That was amazing,” Harry said, smiling.

Sirius dipped his head in gratitude. But his proud look didn’t last long. There was something said downstairs that stuck with Sirius.

“Pronglet,” Sirius said. “What was your life like here?”

Harry sobered up and sat down on his bed. Absentmindedly, Harry pulled the cloak around his shoulders, wrapping it tightly around him.

“Don’t ask me, please,” Harry said, shrugging his shoulders.

“Fine,” Sirius said, waving his hand over the door.

Harry’s eyes were as huge as saucers. He jumped up from the bed, cutting Sirius off at the door.

“What are you going to do?” Harry asked. “You can’t be seen here.”

“I won’t,” Sirius said, smirking. “I’m hungry.”

Sirius stepped out of the room, cast a disillusionment charm over himself, and headed downstairs. He could hear the aunt and uncle talking in the sitting room. She was probably trying to kiss the fat lard’s booboo, wanting to make it better. Serves them right.

Sirius walked into the kitchen and started getting things together for Harry and himself. No need for both of them to starve. There was a knock on the front door that brought the house to silence. Sirius looked towards the door. Vernon limped to the door.

“What do you want?” Vernon growled, opening the door. “Do you have any…”

Vernon wasn’t able to finish that statement as a green light hit him directly in the center of his chest.

Sirius saw what happened. Food forgotten, Sirius apparated to Harry’s room. Sirius heard another curse as he left the kitchen.

Harry was waiting for Sirius by the door when he heard the knocking. Putting his ear to the door, Harry wanted to know who it was. It was late for someone to come calling.

Harry snuck out of his room, hiding behind the wall that looked down the stairs. He saw two hooded people standing in the doorway. Something within Harry wanted his Professor. He needed to be with his Professor. Seeing the green light come from their wand, Harry knew what happened. As silently as he could, Harry used his years of practice and carefully walked back into his room. Where was his Professor? Harry needed him. He was scared. Once he got the door closed, he heard another whisper. Harry held his breath, hoping that whoever was downstairs didn’t hear him on the stairs.

Harry backed up into the room, and he felt someone wrap their arm around his chest, and the other hand covered his mouth. Just before everything in Harry’s body squeezed through a tube, he saw a glow of green light under the door.

“Professor Snape,” Harry muffled behind the hand.

___000___000___000

Severus transfigured two plush chairs for Remus and himself. Severus refused to leave St. Mungo’s without Poppy and Minerva. Both witches were resting comfortably on their beds; Remus was sitting in his chair dozing. Severus couldn’t sleep; something was nagging within him that he couldn’t shake. There was fear building up in him. But this feeling was different. It wasn’t his fear, but the fear of someone else. Severus was about to get up and stretch his legs when an apparition pop sounded, and two extra people were in the room.

The sound of the pop alerted everyone in the room. Severus already had his wand out, prepared to defend his mother and aunt. He was shocked at who was standing there.

“What’s going on?” Severus asked, lowering his wand.

He didn’t get a chance to hear the answer as Harry pried himself out of Sirius’ arms and ran into Severus’ arms. Severus wrapped his arms around the child and could feel him shaking.

Remus walked over to Sirius.

“Padfoot,” Remus said. “What are you doing here?”

Sirius was just as shocked where he was as the people in the room.

“Sirius, what happened?” Remus asked again.

“I didn’t apparate here,” Sirius said. “I don’t know why I’m here.”

“You had to,” Severus said.

“I was apparating us to Grimmauld Place; I didn’t know you were here,” Sirius said.

Severus raised an eyebrow and looked down at the child in his arms. Harry tightened his hold around Severus.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 16: The Burrow by mandancie

Severus’ breath was forced from his lungs from Harry colliding into him. He wrapped his arms around the child—many questions needed to be answered. But the state Harry was in, he wasn’t going to answer them. So, Severus went to the other person who wasn’t supposed to be here.

“What happened?” Severus heard Remus asked.

“I didn’t apparate here,” Sirius said. “I don’t know why I’m here.”

“You had to,” Severus cut in.

“I didn’t know you were here; I was heading to Grimmauld Place. How could I know?” Sirius asked. There was no heat or contempt in Sirius’ voice.

Sirius was right. As much as Severus hated to admit it, there was no way the mutt would know where they were. Harry grip tightening around Severus, bringing him out of his thoughts. Severus lowered his head until he was close to the child’s ear.

“Harry,” Severus whispered. “Harry, I need you to calm down. I need to know what happened?”

Severus could feel Harry saying something, but he couldn’t hear the boy. Severus continued to rub gentle circles on the child’s back.

“Come now, child,” Severus soothed. “Step back a little, so I can hear you.”

Severus felt Harry shake his head.

“You know you’re safe here,” Severus said.

Harry took a deep breath, still gripping Severus’ clothes, he lifted his head and looked at Severus. Severus could see the tears and fear in Harry’s eyes.

“What happened?” Severus asked again.

“Sirius went downstairs to grab some of the food that I made.”

Severus glared at Sirius. How could he leave Harry alone? Putting his attention back on Harry, he looked back down.

“I heard someone knock on the door. I snuck out of my room to see who it was. I saw two hooded figures at the door,” Harry said, laying his head on Severus’ chest.

Sirius continued. “While I was getting our food, the whale of an uncle walked to the door. I saw the spell before I heard it cast. I dropped the food and apparated to Harry’s room. I saw him back up away from the door, so I grabbed hold of him and thought I was apparating back to Grimmauld.”

“You didn’t see their faces?” Remus asked.

“No,” Sirius said, shaking his head. “But I have a suspicion on who I heard speak. But it’s impossible.”

“Why?” Minerva asked, finally speaking since Sirius and Harry popped in.

Sirius was a little stunned that he didn’t notice that both Minerva and Poppy were lying in a bed in the room. Shaking his head to answer her question, “They shouldn’t be out of Azkaban.”

“Who?” Minerva asked.

“My cousin,” Sirius said.

___000___000___000

Albus was in his sitting room, relaxing. Fawkes was soothing the Headmaster with his songs. Albus took a deep breath, letting the air out slowly; it was a wonderful evening.

A ringing brought Albus out of his relaxation. Albus walked over to his shelves of trinkets and saw that one was spinning. When he reached out for it, the small porcelain doe shattered. His natural rosy color left the old man’s face. Albus rushed to his fireplace, throwing powder into the fire and traveling to Arabella’s house.

Stepping out of the fireplace, Albus didn’t wait to see if he alerted the elderly woman; he rushed out of the house and across the street.

The outside of the house appeared fine. Albus didn’t like what he was seeing. The house was quiet. Albus walked to the door and noticed that the door was unlocked. He walked into the house and saw a body lying prone on the floor. His mind quickly drew back to almost fourteen years ago, seeing James Potter's lifeless body on the floor.

Laying on the floor was the male Dursley. Albus walked past the first body, continuing through the house. The door leading to the living room was ajar. Albus could see a pair of feet inside the room. Opening the door wider, Albus saw Petunia lying on the floor. Her eyes were frozen in fear, but there was no life in her eyes.

Albus shook his head. How could this happen? He waved his hand, thought the room, and could feel a magical signature in the house. The question was, who did this. Albus’ blood warding was to keep the family safe from being hurt or killed from an outside source.

A thought pass through his mind: Harry. Where was Harry?

Albus left the sitting room and went to the next room at the end of the hall: the kitchen. It was empty. There was still food on the table, meaning whoever came attacked them before they sat down to eat dinner.

Albus stepped back into the hallway and towards the steps. Going up, Albus silently prayed that Harry didn’t have the same fate as his relatives. Checking all the rooms, Albus was able to breathe a sigh of relief. All the rooms were empty.

“Mum.”

Hearing the call, Albus went to the stairs to see who it was. A shorter version of the male Dursley walked in the door. Albus waved his wand before the boy could truly comprehend what he was seeing. He cast a sleeping charm on the child and softly lowered the boy to the floor.

Seeing there was nothing Albus could do within the house, he apparated out of No. 4 Privet Drive.

___000___000___000

It’s been a few days since the dragon firecracker incident. Fred’s hand was cured once Molly was able to get to her son. It took some heavy coaxing to get Ron to let his brother go. And it took George to be the one to get Ron to eventually move.

That act alone made Arthur extremely curious about his sons. He knew that his twins were close. Rarely did you see one without the other. It was the closeness that was between the twins and his youngest son. They were two years apart, but witnessing what happened puzzled Arthur, and he wanted to know why.

After looking through a few books he had, he believed he found the solution. There was just one thing he needed to test to see if it were true. Arthur went into his workroom shed in the back of the house. Once he got everything he needed, he went back to the house.

Inside, Ron was sitting on the sofa reading one of the books Charlie sent home.

“Ron,” Arthur called. “Can you come to my office?”

Ron looked up at his dad and followed him without question.

“Close the door, son,” Arthur said, sitting behind his desk.

“What’s going on, dad?” Ron asked.

“How do you feel about your siblings?”

Ron was shocked by the unusual question. He didn’t feel any kind of way with his siblings. His brothers picked on his since he was the youngest, but there was no hostility. Bill was cool. He would take him places whenever he came home—the same with Charlie. Charlie also sent him something extra when he sent things back. Percy was Percy. He stayed in his room most of the time, only coming down for meals. While they were in school, Percy acted like he was the parent, trying to tell us what to do. Ginny was spoiled by everyone. She was the baby and the only girl.

“I feel fine about them,” Ron said skeptically, not knowing where his dad was going with this.

“Do you think that one looks out for you more than the others?” Arthur asked, not knowing or caring about his son’s inner thoughts.

Ron shrugged his shoulders. “Why are you asking me this?”

Arthur didn’t answer the question. He just asked another one. “How do you feel about Charlie?”

“Uh, he’s fine. He sends me things from the sanctuary.”

“Percy?”

“Percy is Percy,” Ron said, smirking.

Arthur nodded.

“What about Fred and George?” Arthur looked intently at his son.

Ron shrugged his shoulders. Ron didn’t have a clear answer to that; they were his brothers. They loved to play jokes on him, but they also looked out for him, which recently included Harry.

“Well, let me ask you this,” Arthur said. “What were you doing?”

“Mum told me to clean up my room,” Ron said.

“Did you see what happened outside?”

“No,” Ron said, shaking his head. “But, I did see the dragon.”

“What were you feeling?” Arthur asked.

“I laughed,” Ron said, remembering the feeling of seeing one of his brothers’ products.

“And after?”

“I don’t know,” Ron shrugged. “I started to feel nauseated.”

“What made you leave your room?” Arthur asked, folding his hands on top of his desk.

“I don’t know,” Ron said, his voice getting higher. “I didn’t feel anything.”

“What about when you saw Fred?”

“Dad, what do you want me to say?” Ron asked exasperated. “Fred was hurt. He could have been badly hurt. He could have lost his hand.”

Arthur noticed his son’s anger growing. Usually, he would stop his children from doing this very thing, as it was disrespectful. Still, Arthur needed to know for sure what was going on with his sons.

“And when you saw that Fred was indeed fine and sitting up,” Arthur started.

“He was still hurt!” Ron yelled.

Again, Arthur didn’t correct his son. He wanted to see what would happen. And a part of his answer came into his office door.

“Ron.”

Arthur’s twins came into his office, calling out his youngest son’s name. What happened next brought a smirk to the father’s face.

Hearing his name, Ron turned around and rushed into George’s arms. This time it was Fred rubbing soothing circles on Ron’s back.

“By all means, sons,” Arthur said, waving his hand. “Come in a join us. I feel this conversation pertains to you as well.”

___000___000___000

Dolores was in her office getting much-needed paperwork finished before she got herself ready to move into Hogwarts. There was a knock on her door. She waved her hand, opening the door.

“Yes,” Dolores said, not even looking up from what she was doing.

“There was an issue.”

Dolores raised her head and saw the man standing before her desk.

“What?” Dolores asked.

“The Dursleys are dead,” he said.

“Dead?” Dolores snapped. “How? What did you do?”

“I was going to do what we discussed,” he said. “But when I got there, the two adult muggles were dead. I searched the entire place. Potter wasn’t there either.”

“This is not good,” Umbridge exclaimed, slamming her hand on her desk. “Someone is helping that boy. This is not going the way I want.”

“I can try and search for the boy,” he offered.

“No,” Dolores said, shaking her head. “Something else probably will happen, and he’ll get help then. I’ll have to wait until I get to Hogwarts. Being his teacher, I will be able to get him alone.”

___000___000___000

“What in Merlin’s name did you do?” Albus yelled.

Albus stormed into Aberforth’s office behind the bar.

“What are you talking about?” Aberforth asked, looking up at his irate brother.

“You ordered them to kill the Dursleys,” Albus complained.

“What?” Aberforth replied, his brows were knitted together. “I didn’t order anyone to do anything.”

“Then explain to me why they are dead,” Albus scolded. “Hagrid, Minerva, and I were the only ones who knew where Harry lived. You only knew it because I told you.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” Aberforth explained. “The last order I gave was for them to get to Poppy Pomfrey. I haven’t seen them since.”

Albus sat down in the chair across from Aberforth’s desk.

After a moment of tensed silence, Aberforth asked, “Was Harry there?”

“No,” Albus shook his head. “I didn’t see him.”

“Maybe you can ask him and find out what happened,” Aberforth suggested.

“Yeah,” Albus said. “I could, but I don’t know where he is currently.”

Aberforth put his attention back to the paperwork that he was doing when Albus rushed in.

“I’m sure you’ll think of something. Potter can’t be far.”

Albus sighed and left his brother’s office. Heading back to the school, Albus needed to calm down and think about this. His argument that Harry would be fine with his relatives is null and void since they are dead. He didn’t want Harry to get close to Severus. Albus had his own plans for the Slytherin, and having the Boy-Who-Lived by his side was not apart of it.

___000___000___000

After a while, Severus finally got Harry to calm down enough to ease up on the grip he had on the Potions Master. Severus transfigured his chair to a small cot and had Harry lay on it. After more coaxing and promising that he wouldn’t leave, Severus got Harry lying down, covering him with his robe that Harry still had clutched in his hand.

When Minerva saw that Harry was finally asleep, or at least resting, she spoke up.

“So, what are we going to do? Sirius can’t stay here. Neither can Harry.”

“I know,” Severus said, sighing.

“I can take him back to Grimmauld Place,” Sirius suggested. “That’s where I was originally planning on going.”

“I don’t think that would be a good place,” Severus said.

“Why?” Sirius said harshly. “You think he’s too good to stay with me? You forget, I took care of Harry. And he’s my godson.”

“Sirius now is not the time for this,” Remus said, putting his hand on Sirius’ shoulder.

“I wasn’t saying that mutt,” Severus snarled. “I just don’t think that Grimmauld Place is the safest place for either of you.”

“Why then?” Sirius said. His anger deflating. “My home is under the Fedilus Charm; it’s protected.”

“And Harry’s home was under Blood wards,” Severus said. “Keeping Death Eaters and anyone that wants to do the family harm away.”

“That’s why you didn’t take Harry?” Remus mused.

“Correct,” Severus nodded. “We need someplace safe.”

“How about the Burrow?”

All the adults turned and saw that Harry was sitting up on the cot.

“Harry…” Severus started.

“That sounds like a perfect idea,” Minerva said, cutting her adopted son off.

“I don’t think imposing on the Weasleys is the best thing,” Severus said.

“I doubt Molly and Arthur would mind,” Minerva said. She reached for her wand and cast a Patronus. After whispering in her Patronus, the corporal cat left out of the window. “We’ll wait for their response, and then you will escort Sirius and Harry to the Burrow and stay there.”

“I’m sorry,” Severus said. “I’m not leaving your side.”

“Yes, you will,” Minerva said. “Sirius can’t stay here, and it seems that Harry will not leave your side.”

“He will be fine once he’s with his friends,” Severus said. “And who will protect you?”

“Remus is here,” Minerva said. “And is very capable.”

Severus was about to complain more when Minerva’s Patronus came back, whispering in her ear.

“Wonderful,” Minerva said. “The Weasleys are expecting you. You should go.”

“I’m not leaving you alone,” Severus said again. “I don’t know why you were taken or who took you.”

Minerva sighed. “Severus, come here.”

Severus walked over to the side of the bed. She beckoned him to come closer. She pulled her adopted son into her arms and whispered in his ear.

“Listen to me,” Minerva whispered. “As long as I am here, and under the watchful eye of Remus, we will be fine. Once I’m released, I will come to the Burrow. I will be fine.”

Minerva pushed Severus back so that she could get a good look at her son. “Go with Sirius, and the two of you protect Harry.”

Severus didn’t want to leave, but relenting, he dipped his head in a nod and stood up. The Potions Master walked over to Black and Harry. Severus and Sirius gripped each other’s elbow, and Harry was pulled into Severus’ arm. Seconds later, the three of them were gone.

___000___000___000

The small group of wizards landed on the outskirts of the Burrow. The three of them walked towards the house. Harry lingered behind. He knew that his Professor was upset, and he figured that it was his fault. He couldn’t help it that he preferred to stay with Snape. Harry didn’t understand it. It was how he felt.

Severus looked back and saw that Harry was behind them. He walked back to the boy.

“What’s wrong?” Severus asked.

“What’s wrong with me?” Harry asked, tightening the black cloak around him.

“There is nothing wrong,” Severus replied. “Why do you think something is wrong?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders. He didn’t know how to explain it because he didn’t really know himself. When those hooded people came into the house, all Harry thought about was Professor Snape. Even though he knew that Sirius was downstairs getting food, Harry still wanted Professor Snape.

“Everything alright?” Sirius asked, walking over to Severus and Harry.

“Yeah,” Harry said quietly.

Harry walked away from Severus and Sirius and started back towards the Burrow. They got to the door and was met by a hoard of redheads. When Harry saw Ron, he started smiling.

“I’m glad you’re here,” Ron said, wrapping his arm around Harry's shoulder.

“Yeah, Harry,” Fred said

“At least we don’t…” George said, standing on the other side of Harry.

“Have to…” Fred said, slightly pushing Harry towards the door.

“Rescue you,” George said, finishing the sentence.

Harry always loved it when Fred and George talked to him like that. Outside Ron, Harry enjoyed spending time with the twins. They watched over him when there was a rouge bludger after him. They gave him the map that led him to realize that Peter Pettigrew was still alive. And last year, when Ron was acting like a jerk, the twins kept him company.

Arthur walked over to Sirius and Severus.

“Professor Snape,” Arthur greeted.

“Mr. Weasley. Thank you for allowing us a place to stay.”

“Now, none of that,” Arthur said, welcoming the two black haired wizards into his house. “It is our honor. Come in. Molly is making dinner.”

They walked into the house. The Burrow was quiet.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3460