What the hell is happening ? by Ghostwolfsbane
Summary:

Set the summer after the Order of the Phoenix. Harry receives a letter which will change his and a certain potions professors life forever. This story features plot twists, betrayal, secrets, memory loss, more memory loss and backstabbing friends. Read to see what happens when Harry finally has the chance for a real family. [Severitus]


Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Lily, Neville, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Overly-protective Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Angry, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Loving, Snape is Secretive, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Fluff, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Amnesia, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry, Injured!Snape, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 64657 Read: 66565 Published: 18 Jan 2018 Updated: 13 Jan 2022
Chapter 17: Something Is Not Right by Ghostwolfsbane

Chapter 17: Something Is Not Right

The Hospital Wing

Upon waking up, Harry had never felt so good. His body felt rested and his mind clear.

"mhmm" Harry stretched his muscles and moved to sit at the headboard. After putting his glasses on, Harry looked around the hospital wing. Surprisingly there were no students around. Peering at the clock, Harry saw that it was only 7:05am. He looked over the side of his bed and saw his bed slippers were there. Deciding there was no point staying in bed any longer, he got up and walked over to the window. Birds were flying outside and it looked as if it was going to be a beautiful sunny day.

Hearing scuffling coming from Madame Pomfrey's office, Harry decided walk over and let the healer know he was awake.

Before Harry could even reach the door, Madame Pomfrey burst out of her office; giving Harry the biggest fright.

"Ah!" Harry shrieked in fright, causing the healer to drop the potion she was holding in her hand.

Upon the glass shattering on the ground, this rendered Harry motionless.

He stared at the space on the ground where the potions ingredients now were. He had a momentary lapse as his mind caught up with his previous memory's. Harry looked up at the healer, who was trying to get the boys attention; although all Harry could hear was white noise. He slowly stumbled over to the closest bed and sat down.

"Dad? Snape? Where's my dad?" Harry asked the healer.

Quickly Madame Pomfrey walked over and shoved Harry's head between his legs; the boy was starting to hyperventilate.

After a few minutes of the woman rubbing the boys back, Harry came back to the present and sat up.

"What…. Where…?" The healer stopped Harry, and motioned for him to follow her into his office.


Upon entering the office, Madame Pomfrey closed the door and made her way over to sit behind her desk. "I would prefer to speak in here Potter, there is a 3rd year sleeping in one of the beds; and I'm sure you wish for our conversation to be private" Harry nodded his head upon hearing that.

"What happened to me, I feel so… weird… Like my head is clear for the first time." Harry said in a soft and dazed voice; one would think Luna Lovegood was speaking.

To this the healer responded nonchalantly "Oh, he is in his quarters sleeping I would assume".

Harry's brows furrowed. As he was about to ask the witch something, she held her hand up for silence.

Sighing Madam Pomfrey asked Harry to sit down. Once she saw that Harry was comfortable, she proceeded to tell the boy everything that had transpired over the last few days. The healer handed Harry the letter Professor Snape had pleaded her to give to his son. Wanting to give Harry space to read in peace and quiet, she quickly left her office, closed the door with a residing thud.


The healer waited 30 minutes before re-entering her office. She observed upon entering that Harry was motionless and sitting in the same position; his back to her and looking outside the window. One would assume that he was sleeping upright, however this quickly became false. Harry turned his head to look at the healer and spoke without any emotion.

"He can't remember me" Harry asked in a monotone voice, not a question but a statement. Standing up from his chair, Harry looked directly into Madame Pomfrey's eyes.

"I'm afraid not dear, and you read the letter in its entirety?" Madame Pomfrey asked, pointing at the letter Harry was currently clutching with an iron fist.

There was no response, only a small nod of his head. Harry sat down in his chair once again skimming over the letter. At this point, the young boy was beyond annoyed. The letter that his father wrote to him, had given him explicit instructions. What saddened Harry was that he did not think he would be able to carry them out. His father was now long gone, only Professor Snape was left; at this thought Harry shuddered.

All his past years at Hogwarts flashed in his mind. All the years of angst, suspicion and hatred for the potions master. But then, he had his true memory's back, and additionally could remember all the good times he had experienced this year. Harry looked in the opposite direction of the healer, not wanting her to see a tear which had just rolled down his face. All that he could think about was that he could never get his father back; or could he? As quick as the thought entered into his mind, he pushed it away.

Having felt alone for most of his life, after living at the Dursleys. He came to the conclusion that now was truly the loneliest he had ever felt.

"Harry, your father told me what was written within his letter. I promise I will not divulge this to anyone. However, I do implore you to tell him everything. I understand your past relationship has not been very good, however from the way he spoke about you prior to losing his memories; I could clearly see he loved you very much." At hearing this, Harry started to cry.

The healer merely touched the boy's shoulder and said with finality "You will never be able to restore his memories from the past year. However, you will be able to make new ones…" She was interrupted by Harry shrugging off her hand, and quickly standing tall.

"My father is gone, and now my old git of a potions professor has taken his place. Number 1. This version of my father is oblivious to our familial bond. And 2, he hates my guts for being… well.. me. And 3, how the hell did my father expect this new man to love me…" Madam Pomfrey interrupted.

"Don't forget Harry, Severus was once only your potions teacher. However, I have observed over the years he has been looking out for you. I do not think he ever truly hated you. Your father believes that you can persuade this 'new' or 'old' version of himself. You just need to"

"It's going to be impossible… even if I tell him everything from his letter, he probably won't believe me. He'll think it's some sort of prank, I doubt he will even let me speak for long enough to explain…" Harry finished in a very low voice.

They both stood there in silence. Madame Pomfrey after a minute went and stood next to the door and beckoned Harry to get up. She waved him out of the office with one final word.

"Or maybe he will believe you. And if he doesn't, you will just have to be persistent. Do this for your father Harry; and for yourself"

Nodding, Harry took his leave and exited the hospital wing. He walked through Hogwarts pondering his previous conversation. He did owe his father everything, how his life had changed after he left the Dursley's. He smiled, thinking of all the good times he had with his father. He sighed, thinking about how glad he was that he had all his memories back. He made a promise then and there that no matter how long it took him, he would tell the professor/ his father everything. They both deserved to be happy, didn't they?


Two days had passed since the incident at the hospital wing. And Harry had not gone within 10 meters of the Professor. School had commenced, and all the students were currently eating breakfast in the Great Hall. Owls flew in to deliver the daily mail, Hedwig landing in front of Harry. Petting his owl, Harry took the letter his bird was holding then upon looking at the writing threw the letter on the table. Ron and Hermione had been walking on eggshells after Harry divulged what happened with his father. They were trying to be supportive, however every time one of them opened their mouths, Harry snapped.

Clearly, he was extremely stressed, and the letter which was just send to him only added to said stress. Harry was eating his cereal whilst also glaring at the letter. Over the past couple of weeks his godfather had been sending him correspondences; trying to amend things after what happened at Grimmauld Place. Harry had not opened one letter. He could not bring himself to forgive his godfather just yet. He was trying to get a game plan on how he would tell his father. He did not need, nor want, to hear anything from his godfather today. Harry looked up at the head table, although as soon as he did so he knew it was a mistake. Severus Snape could be seen glaring at Harry. Gulping his last bite of cereal down, Harry grabbed the letter, his rucksack and left the great hall in haste. He traipsed through the corridors and decided to be early for his next class.


Harry groaned as the final bell for the day rung. He rolled his shoulders then twisted his torso to crack his back. Tonight, tonight was the night, Harry thought to himself. He knew his father's schedule off the back of his hand, the Professor would have afternoon tea in his quarters then be back in his office by 5:00pm. He would be marking some poor student's essay is bold red before dinner. Harry headed back to the Gryffindor common room to change out of his sweaty uniform. Once he had changed into casual clothes, his palms and chest began to sweat again. Feeling extremely nervous about the events that were about to transpire, Harry decided it would probably be best to have a shower.

After emerging from the shower 1 hour later, fully clothed and smelling of freshly washed linen. Harry quickly grabbed his bag (making sure his father's letter was in it), and walked with purpose towards the dungeons.

The corridors were emptier than usual, the students most likely having decided to either take a nap before dinner, play exploding snap with friends or start on their homework. Turning a corner, Harry stopped in front of the potion master's office. Taking a deep breath, the young Gryffindor brought his knuckles up to the door and rapt 3 times *knock *knock *knock. 'Enter' Harry heard the Professor say in a monotone drawl. Sighing, Harry turned the doorknob and the door creaked open.

Poking his head through the door first, Harry spotted the professor sitting at his desk, reading the Daily Prophet. Snape flicked his eyes up to the door, where Harry still stood. Upon seeing that Potter was at the door his mouth instantly twisted into a smirk. Harry upon seeing this smirk gulped and entered the office; closing the door behind him with a resounding thug.

The professor folded his newspaper and looked up at Harry.

"I am glad to see you this evening Mr Potter" Stated the professor in a casual voice.

Harry furrowed his brows and scrunched his nose upon hearing this. 'It's a trap' Harry instantly thought, then quickly brushed his comment aside.

"You are?" Harry questioned.

"Yes. For once you are on time for your detention" Snape stated matter of factly.

'Detention?!' Harry thought. When the hell did I get detention? Harry thought. He instantly became enraged at the professor, he genuinely could not remember his father giving him detention. Although… since his father had lost his memories, maybe this detention was from months ago. Inwardly groaning, Harry merely nodded his head; not wanting to get into an argument with his father. The professor continued.

"I have a week's worth of ingredient preparation for you Potter. Your behaviour last week was absolutely deplorable. and as such. I believe the task set for tonight is befitting; don't you?" Snap raised an eyebrow at the shell-shocked boy.

'What a load of crap' Harry thought. Clearly the professor had reverted back to his past self easily But not wanted to anger the professor, he decided to go with this detention. Hopefully his good behaviour tonight would work to his favour when he would finally tell the professor everything and hand over the letter.

Severus Snape got up and out of his chair, moving in front of where Harry now stood.

"Tonight Potter, you will be preparing the ingredients on this table. Additionally, you will be preparing a pepperup potion for Madame Pomfrey. Any questions? No? good get started."

Without waiting for a response from Harry, Severus pointed at the ingredients and the cauldron which was waiting on the bench.

Harry not wanting to start an argument so early in the evening, sat down and started chopping and pulverising ingredients. It did not escape Harry's notice that the professor was allowing him to make potions for the Hospital Wing. Something the old Snape would have never allowed.

Stopping his work, Harry thought, maybe the professor deep down still knew Harry was his son. Harry smiled at this and decided to look up at the professor. Snape caught Harry's smile and raised an eyebrow.

"Do you find myself or the preparation of potion ingredients amusing" Snape asked cocking an identical eyebrow.

As soon as the thought entered Harry's mind, it was wipe away. Harry was now transported back to the old days. While his mind wandered Harry continued to cut ingredients, seconds later realised that he never answered the professor. A simple 'no sir' and Harry continued cutting the mandrake root.

Over the past couple of months Harry had come to enjoy quiet time with his father. They would brew potions, well, his father would brew, whilst Harry worked on preparing ingredients. Whilst Harry continued to mull over past memories, the current Snape was observing the boy. Preparing his ingredients with such precision, he could not help but be impressed. Although he sensed that something was plaguing the boys mind. Wanting to go over and scold the boy for his daydreaming, the only thing that stopped him from doing so, was the precise way in which Potter was cutting the mandrake root. Snape was jolted from his thoughts when Harry spoke.

"Um Professor" Harry began, keeping his eyes on his work.

"What am I receiving this detention for?" the boy enquired.

The look Snape gave Harry could only be described as one of extreme confusion.

"Why did you receive this detention? Why?" The professor asked a second time. His first feeling was to rattle the boy. What a completely ridiculous question. Potter was receiving his detention because… because he… The potion masters mind began to wonder. A cool sensation like that of ice melting seemed to slide down the professors back. His eyes darted around the room, trying desperately to think of his reason.

Looking back at the boy, he thought he saw Potters eyes soften (Lily's eyes). Quickly looking away, Severus picked up his newspaper and began to skim through the contents. Although not really grasping anything he had read. He stopped instantly and looked at Potter who was now looking at the professor.

Clearing his throat, the Professor answered "The reason is very simple Potter. You disobeyed my rules, now you are being punished." Snape stated quickly. It was a very stupid answer, however it was the only one Snape could give; because he truly could not remember the reason.

Harry had to hand it to Snape, that was a very smooth way of covering up the fact that he obviously had no clue why he was giving out this detention. Sighing, Harry only then remembered why he had come to the prof.. his father's office in the first place. However, not wanting to upset the man, Harry decided to play along hoping that would put the professor in a better mood.

"Of course, sir" Harry responded.

At Harry's submissive comment, this instantly shot warning bells in the professor's head. Why was Potter being so submissive? Where was the boy's snarky comeback?

"Eh, I have finished preparing the ingredients Professor, I am going to start on the potion" Harry stated, moving over to the cauldron. He flinched when the professor spoke loudly, standing up from his chair.

"I will be the judge of that Potter". Walking over to Harry's bench, Severus Snape observed the students work.

Casting his eyes over every inch of the table, the professor was trying to hold back his shock. Everything was perfect, the ingredients could not have been prepared better than if Granger had done it.

"Very well Potter, these are satisfactory, you may begin" Snape said pointing to the boys cauldron.

Harry upon hearing the professor's words became significantly more jovial. 'Ok Professor' he had all but yelped happily.

Snape looked at the boy incredulously. Why on earth was Potter in such a happy mood; Snape thought. This was a detention, he was supposed to be miserable.

The evening went by quietly. The only noise that could be heard was the cauldron simmering and the professors scratchy comments on students homework. Harry had now begun to bottle up his pepperup potion into tiny vials; which the professor had provided. Upon completion, he placed them into a wooden crate, then proceeded to walk up to the front of the room.

"I'm all done professor, would you like me to take these up to the Hospital Wing?" Harry asked as he placed to wooden crate on the professor's desk.

Snape looked up from his marking and glanced at the crate.

"No, that is not needed, I would like to test them first. Knowing your past potion skills, I wouldn't be surprised if this batch would be fatal to the consumer" The professor sneered.

However, the professor only said it half heartedly. Upon looking at the crate and lifting up one vial for inspection. The colour, consistency, even the smell it produced was correct. Sighing the professor said something that the boy would have never expected in a million years.

"I have to say Potter, this is the best work I have seen from you... may I ask how you have become such a competent potion maker in such a short period of time?". The professor waited as the stunned Harry Potter collected his thoughts.

Harry looked to the floor and gulped, however, looking back at the professor he spoke clearly.

"I had a really good tutor professor… oh look at the time, it's past my curfew, I need to head back to my dorm; good night Sir" Harry finished quickly grabbing his bag and fleeing from the room; leaving the professor gobsmacked. Harry ascended the stairs to the Gryffindor common room.

The professor was still sitting at his desk, reflecting on how the boy up and left without his permission. Shaking his head, the professor gathered the crate and flood to the hospital wing.


Gryffindor Common Room

Hermione and Ron were sitting in the common room waiting for Harry to return. Ron sat in front of the roaring fire reading his quidditch magazine, whilst Hermione sat on the couch biting her lip. She would stare off into space, then look at the common room entrance.

"It's past curfew, do you think Harry ended up talking about you know what with the professor?.." Hermione said the latter in a hushed voice, to make sure no one overheard her.

Ron turned around to face her "I doubt Harry even has a plan yet. I don't know Hermione, what's he going to say.. 'Hello your my daddy?' "

"Well obviously not, but he is going to have to tell the professor at some point. I think it's better to get it over and done with". Hermione said, lifting her nose up in he air.

Ron sighed, "Who knows Mione, maybe this will be a blessing in disguise for Harry…you know.. what with the professor forgetting everythi.." Ron was abruptly cut-off by Harry who was standing right behind his two friends.

"You're still not badmouthing my dad are you?" Harry looked murderously similar to the Professor; his voice low and eyes narrowing.

"You know what I meant mate" At hearing the words come from Ron's mouth. Harry shook his head and walked past both of his friends, up to his dorm.

After Harry left, Hermione quickly turned to Ron and smacked him on the arm.

"OW Hermione…"

"I though we went through this last time Rom. If you keep trying to keep Harry from the Professor. He will never speak to you again. Is that what you want?" Hermione queried.

"I just don't want him to get hurt, again. You saw how the professor was in class, an absolute bastard; same as before. How much longer can Harry keep taking this rejection?"

"Harry is very resilient, and besides he has us. We need to be there for him" Hermione stood up and ascended the stairs to her dorm, leaving Ron in the common room to ponder her words.


Great Hall

The next day, Harry, Ron and Hermione were sitting at the Gryffindor table eating breakfast. The great hall was buzzing with students, Seamus and Dean could be heard betting who would win the next quidditch tournament.

Harry was the first to break the silence. "I couldn't sleep last night. I was trying to formulate a plan for you know what. I have been thinking on how to break the news to him". Harry pointed at the professor who was currently sitting at the head table brooding whilst eating his breakfast.

"I'm going to tell him in five days time, this should give me enough time to get dad in a good mood… or who knows maybe even like me" Harry laughed nervously.

Ron looked bewildered "Sorry, did you just say to get him to like you? haha" Harry started to laugh, half of the Gryffindor table looked up curiously to see what the fuss was about.

Once the student body saw that nothing interesting was happening, they resumed their gossiping and breakfast. Hermione shifted in her seat, and looked nervously at Harry.

"I hate to say it Harry, but Ron's right. I don't thinking waiting 5 days will be beneficial..I don't think any of your actions will…" Harry instantly cut her off.

"I don't care what you think Hermione. I want to do this my way, so stop trying to help me. All I want is your support, is that so hard to ask?" Harry broke off in a whisper.

Sighing, Harry grabbed his bag, and left the hall; wanting to be alone.


The day had been going very slow for Harry. He had decided to sit in silence with his friends during his first couple of classes. However, ended up skipping recess, instead deciding to sit outside in the sun. For lunch, Harry took a sandwich and an apple, and sat near the herbology green houses. Sitting in silence, he pondered how his afternoon potions class would go. Harry was pulled out of his musings when he heard fawks the phoenix singing in the distance. Sighing, Harry decided he should arrive early to potions. Walking from the sunny grounds into the cold dungeons made him shiver a little.

Upon walking into the classroom, it was apparent that he was very early. Deciding he best start off the class with his best foot forward, Harry decided to sit in the front row. The students started to slowly dwindle into the classroom, Ron and Hermione's eyes nearly popped out of their heads when they saw Harry sitting at the front. They both silently sat next to Harry, when the professor dramatically stalked into the room; the room fell silent. Noticing this, the boy who lived kept his head facing the front and opened his textbook.

The potions master swept past every row, gliding to his desk. His black eyes swept the room, mentally taking note of who was present. His eyebrows rose to the ceiling when his eyes landed on a certain Gryffindor. Severus Snape was not often rendered speechless, however this was an exception. Looking back at his desk, Severus took a pile of parchment and stood up. He slowly weaved in and out of the desks, placing the student's previous homework in-front of them. He gave some of his Slytherins a grunt of satisfaction, or a hiss of warning to those students whose work were below his standards.

The final essay was for Potter, standing in-front of the boys desk Severus lowered the parchment slowly to his desk. Once the boys homework was on the desk, the professor leaned down and said in a very low voice; so that only Harry could hear.

"Do you care to explain Potter how you came to write this essay?" Severus continued. "Did we feel the need to ask our little friend here to write it." The professor looking in Hermione's direction.

Harry turned his head, looking directly into his professor's eyes. "No sir, I did the research and wrote the essay myself" The longer Harry stared at Snape, it sent chills down the professors spine. Frowning, the professor moved to the front of the classroom to begin the lesson.

The lesson had gone quite quickly Harry thought. Ron was eagerly peering at his watch, when he heard the bell ring. Students eagerly grabbed their belongings, ready for their final class. "A moment Mr Potter" The Professor stated with his back to the classroom. Harry who was out of his chair, ready to leave, turned to his friends and waved them goodbye.

The Professor waited until everyone was out of the classroom before he decided to speak. "I would like you to tell me the truth Mr Potter. At the beginning of the class, you stated that you wrote that essay; correct?" The Professor said, now standing in-front of Harry.

Before Harry could answer, the Professor continued. "I don't know how you came to write a better essay than your friend Miss Granger. However, I will expect you to continue turning in this level of work. If you do not, the consequences shall be severe" The professor said in a scolding tone.

Harry peered at his father in confusion, he sounded just like his dad. He looked into the Professors eyes again, hoping to see in those dark depths a spark, something. This in-turn made the professor more annoyed at the boy. Why was he looking at him like that again?! Infernal brat, Snape thought.

After a brief moment, Harry decided to smile and spoke in a friendly tone. "I have actually come to enjoy your subject very much over the past couple of months Sir. I guess I get it from my dad.. or mum.." He finished by laughing nervously. The professor was looking at Harry with bewilderment. Taking a couple of steps back, the professor looked at at Harry as if he had two heads. Snapping out of his trance, the professor started to sneer.

"I don't know what there is to laugh about Potter, your father was an imbecile when it came to potions; you haven't a clue" He drawled whilst walking back to his desk.

Harry did not seemed fazed by this at all. He cocked his head to the side, then shrugged his shoulders. "Well, that might be true, I mean I never actually met the man. Well at least my mum must have been decent at potions huh" Harry finished with a lopsided smirk; not unlike the professors.

Severus Snape, the man who often was very eloquent in his rhetoric, was at a complete loss for words. After the boy had mentioned James Potter, Severus was going to hit the boy with another insult. However, mention of Lily got Severus slightly nervous. Sitting back at his desk, the professor wrote a note to Harry's next teacher excusing him for being tardy. He got up and thrust it into the boys hand, then without a word swept out of his classroom. Harry, who still found this very amusing shook his head, and also left the room, leisurely walking to his transfiguration class.


The head of Slytherin House strode to the Head Masters office at once. He felt constantly on edge, during his previous lesson. The office door opened instantly, with Professor Dumbledore sitting at his desk.

"Ah, Severus what an unexpected surprise" speaking genuinely. "What brings you in here my boy" indicating for Severus to take a seat.

"Something does not feel right Albus. It's like I'm going insane" Severus said very slowly. He looked around, stopping to peer at the old headmaster portraits; most of whom were eagerly listening to the conversation. Rolling his eyes, Severus continued.

"Yesterday… last night I gave Potter a detention"

"Ah, already in trouble I see" The professor said his face between a smirk and smile.

"That's just the thing though, I could not for the life of me remember why I gave the boy a detention. AND TODAY!" The professor loudly said. Severus quickly stood up, and began pacing back and forth.

"The boy sat at the front of the classroom, he was keenly listening to my class. He's never once shown an interest in potions. The boy was looking at me throughout the class, he looked as if he were trying to use legilimency on me"

"Come now Severus, you are starting to sound parano…" The headmaster was cut off.

"Paranoid! Of coarse I'm paranoid. Then the boy turns in a perfect assignment, which no doubt Granger helped him with. However, when he stated that it was his own work, why did I actually believe the brat" Severus finished, looking as if he was going to pull out his hair.

"Ah… how the heart never truly forgets" Albus Dumbledore signed, looking sadly at the father in-front of him.

"But it's more than that Albus. I feel as if I have lost my memory, I do not remember the last couple of months. I mean I do, but I don't…it's like certain things have been erased. Oh I don't know!" Severus said with frustration. He ended up lying down on a long couch, needing to calm down before his magic became erratic.

The headmaster sat with Severus whilst the man continued to discuss what was on his mind. Albus, merely sat and listened to what the young professor had to say. He ordered some tea from the kitchens, which aided Severus in calming down. Sighing, the professor turned his head to the headmaster.

"It was very strange Albus. The boy mentioned that his recent skills in potions were due to his father. I obviously told the boy that his father was an imbecile" The headmaster tutted disapprovingly at Severus.

Continuing Severus spoke with caution. "It's what he said next that set me off-balance." Severus recited word for word what Potter said 'Well, that might be true, I mean I never actually met the man. Well at least my mum must have been decent at potions huh'.

"The way the boy said 'huh' and looking knowingly at me, I could have sworn he looked right into my soul. Albus.. You haven't mentioned anything to him have you?" The potions master looking at Albus accusingly, and slightly nervous.

The headmaster was saved from having to divulge into a very lengthy story when there was a knock on the door. Severus sat up, and brushed his robes, wanting to appear as if he did not just a few minutes ago have a mental breakdown.

"Come in" The headmaster said. And in popped Harry Potter's head.

"Hello.. professor?" Harry questioned, not seeing the headmaster anywhere.

"Ah, Harry in here my boy. Professor Snape and I were just having a chat here, are classes finished already? The headmaster asked reaching into his robes to check his pocket watch.

Once Harry rounded the corner, he stood in-front of both the professors awkwardly. Shifting from foot to foot, he looked at professor Dumbledore then to his dad.

"You have excellent timing my boy, the professor and I were just about to have some tea. Would you care to join us?" The headmaster asked.

Severus merely sneered, then stood up. "I will take my leave Albus"

"Goodbye" Harry said in a soft voice.

The potions master merely grunted, whilst hastily striding towards the exit. Once the door was shut, Harry peered at the headmaster then looked back to the place his father was sitting.

"Is everything alright Professor Dumbledore?" Harry asked, his concern evident.

"Your father Harry believes he has lost his mind. He feels as if time has escaped him" Sadly, the headmaster motioned for Harry to take a seat and poured the young lad some tea.

"I'm sorry if I interrupted you and Professor Snape earlier.."

"Come Harry, you can call him your father in front of me, it's not as if I have forgotten" After saying this, the professor instantly regretted it. The look on Harry's face was filled with sorrow.

"Aahh, I just don't know what to do Professor. I have dad's letter, and I've been trying to think about how to tell him, where to tell him even. I'm a worried that without his previous memories..of him and mum being together.. you know.. ah intimately; he won't believe me. I'm struggling to see how the professor is going to acknowledge me as his.." Harry could not finish his sentence. The thought of what was to come was too much.

"It's best to just get it over with my boy. Even if it means trying 1, 2, as many times as it takes for him to believe. You and I both know it will be worth it mhmm" The headmaster smiled, walking over to sit next to Harry.

Clapping the boy on his back, the professor continued. "As for where to discuss this delicate matter, you are free to use my office" Albus stated.

"I don't think that's a good idea sir. What happens if after I tell the professor that he's my dad. He believes me, but then decides to fling himself off the balcony" Harry said pointing in the direction of the headmasters observation deck.

Laughing, the headmaster spoke with finality "Dear boy, I do not think Severus would fling himself off the balcony, faint most probably. I think everything will be fine. However, I do agree that it will be a challenge to get Severus to listen to you. I may be able to aid you in getting a one-on-one meeting with Severus."

The headmaster sat for a minute thinking, then snapped his fingers; which jolted Harry. "I know. I will instruct him to resume Occlumency Lessons, which shall be held here in my office." The headmaster stated gleefully.

Harry did not look convinced, however nodded in agreement. This was a good way to get the professor alone, and in a private setting to have this conversation. Harry looked up at the headmaster and nodded again.

"Ok, I'll do it. However, could I please borrow your penseive? It might be easier to convince dad if he could actually see what we've gone through together."

"That is a splendid idea Harry" The headmaster beamed jovially.

Getting up from his seat, the headmaster went into his bedroom, coming back with his penseive. Placing it in-front of Harry, the Headmaster guided Harry in removing the right memories to show the Professor. A good 35 minutes later they were done, with the memories safely placed in a crystal vial.

"I will tell Severus that he will need to begin occlumency lessons as soon as possible. For now, let us go down to the great hall it is time for dinner" Albus Dumbledore motioned Harry to follow him out of the office.

Harry walked next to the Headmaster silently, wondering what he had gotten himself into.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3466