What the hell is happening ? by Ghostwolfsbane
Summary:

Set the summer after the Order of the Phoenix. Harry receives a letter which will change his and a certain potions professors life forever. This story features plot twists, betrayal, secrets, memory loss, more memory loss and backstabbing friends. Read to see what happens when Harry finally has the chance for a real family. [Severitus]


Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Lily, Neville, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Overly-protective Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Angry, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Loving, Snape is Secretive, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Fluff, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Amnesia, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry, Injured!Snape, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 64657 Read: 67100 Published: 18 Jan 2018 Updated: 13 Jan 2022
Chapter 2: You come, only to go by Ghostwolfsbane

At Grimmauld Place the Order of the Phoenix members could be heard arguing in the kitchen. It was 10:30 am on Monday when a sudden Order meeting was called to place. Harry Potter had recently been permanently moved in with his godfather. Harry was currently sitting and trying to listen in on the argument that was being had downstairs.

"I told you Albus Dumbledore, those muggles were insane! The worst kind… look at what they did to poor Harry. Locked! And living under the stairs until the age of 11! Not to mention being locked up in his room, only allowed out to use the bathroom 2 times per day, and only for house chores." Professor McGonagall could be heard screaming at the Headmaster, who was cowering before her.

After the situation in the ministry between the Death Eaters, Harry was in a depressed state of mind. Having thought that he had lost Sirius had caused him to become withdrawn. Sirius was in a magical coma for days, and no one knew whether he would make it out alive. However, not 2 days later Sirius was out of his coma and ready to see his godson. In the meantime the headmaster decided to pay a visit to Harry's aunt and uncle, before the school holidays commenced. When speaking to Mr and Mrs Dursley, they had made it clear to the headmaster that they did not want Harry to come back this summer, or any others. After the dementor attack on Dudley, they wanted Harry out of there, and fast. When Professor Dumbledore had tried to negotiate with them, he was getting nowhere; which is when he decided to use legilimency. Normally, this would be frowned upon, however lets be honest, this was Albus bloody Dumbledore, what did he care about the rules, having written a few himself; why not bend some? This is however, how the headmaster found out about Harry's home life, whilst delving into his aunt's mind.

The headmaster left their house without a word of goodbyes, he did not even bother to walk out of the door; he apparated straight from the couch. Albus Dumbledore was furious, however there was little time. The headmaster had come to his senses, and decided that Harry could no longer stay at his previous abode. Therefore he called an Order meeting, to tell everyone what had happened. Harry however was unaware that all of the trusted Order members now knew his secret home life.

"Now Minerva I understand that you are angry, I am myself. However, screaming will not help Harry's situation. Whilst there are blood wards at his Aunt and Uncles which will protect him. I am sure that the Fidelius will be an adequate warding syst…" The headmaster was cut off by Sirius Black.

"Of course Harry is safe here. I have a right mind to strangle those bloody muggles for what they did to Harry. However after a thorough lecture from Remus, it seems that I will murder them in my dreams." "Yes, whilst we would all like to see those muggle's come to serious harm, i have reservations for Harry spending the summer here." Professor Mcgonagall said looking sideways towards Sirius.

"Whilst Harry loves you Sirius, as you are his closest connection to his parents…" The charms professor was cut off by Professor Snape.

"Yes, whilst that is all very well, you need to think about his well being…" "Wellbeing Snivellus… wow who would have thought that you could even grasp the concept of a wellbeing… washed your hair latel.." 'That's enough!' Dumbledore silenced Sirius with his booming voice. He motioned for Severus to continue.

"As I was saying. Let's face the facts here, Black was in Azkaban for more than 10 years, which has done a number on his physical and….. Mental frame of mind. Potter needs discipline and structure. He sits for his Newt exams in two years when he graduates. Potter needs to be studying to mindlessly talking and breathing quidditch. Headquarters is secure, for now… it is not foolproof. With so many people coming in and out of this house, it could be a security hazard for the boy."

"Now you listen here Snape. MY Godson has gone through complete hell. I think he deserves a bit of time off. And as for my mental wellbeing.." "Yes I do believe not minutes ago you mentioned killing muggles in your sleep" Snape finished his sentence smirking. Dumbledore once again had to intervene and taking the conversation back into his own hands. However, the headmaster was interrupted by Molly Weasley.

"Sirius, Severus has a very good point. A boy like Harry needs structure. And whilst I love all my son's as well as Harry; who I consider a son. They do need discipline, they are always running off and getting into trouble. Harry needs someone to help him get over what happened with his aunt and uncle, as well as feed, cloth and teach him." All heads were nodding in agreement, Severus could be seen smirking at Sirius, who only turned his head away.

"I thought you said Dumbledore that Harry was to stay here with me permanently! And now you are talking about shipping him away?! NO!" 'Now Sirius' "No! I won't have this. He is my godson and deserves to be here, with family." Dumbledore looked at Sirius with a sad expression. "I know that I said Harry could stay here, however I have come to a conclusion. It would not be fair to let him stay here. If he were to stay here, that would mean that he could not possibly go outside. A boy his age needs fresh air and daily walks in the summer sun. If Harry were to stay here, he would need to be indoors 24 hours a day. It would remind him too much of living with his relatives. If you truly loved the boy Sirius, you need to let him go. Know I am not saying that you will not see him, we can arrange for Harry to come here once or twice a week." Hearing this, Sirius stood up so viciously that his chair tipped over backwards. He walked swiftly and angrily out of the room. Everyone else started to take their leave, however Severus and Professor Mcgonagall were ordered to meet Dumbledore back in his office.


Severus and Minerva were sitting in two armchairs in front of Dumbledore's desk, waiting for his arrival. With a quick whoosh of the floo network, the Headmaster glided around the room, and sat in his armchair with a loud thump; looking every bit his age. "Well that didn't go as well as I expected" Albus said in a rather low and tired voice. "I don't care how upset Sirius is, I totally agree with Severus. He cannot be holed up in that house, it's a madhouse in there. Harry needs the open air, someone who he can talk to about his relatives, i'm sure by this stage the poor boy has scars which haven't just been inflicted by you know who." Professor Mcgonagall finished by sipping her tea which the headmaster was pouring for the company.

"Yes, good so we are all in agreement with what Severus said yes 'yes' perfect. Well then my by, it looks like you will need to get your spare room ready for Harry then." Dumbledore was looking over his moon glasses at Severus, with a twinkle in his eyes.

The potions Professor spat his tea across the polished timber table. "WHAT?! I meant he needed those things, not that I WANTED TO BE THE ONE TO GIVE IT TO HIM" Severus said in a exasperated voice.

"But I think you to be the perfect person Severus. You have just recently purchased a new home, which you have given the finest wardings. No one, or creature would be able to get past the barrier to your home. When we spoke you mentioned that you had a sizeable property/garden. From what I gathered, Harry quite likes gardening, i'm sure he would like to be outside… "That boy is not touching my plants! They are priceless! And used for my potions…" "Come now Severus, you said it yourself. 'He needs discipline!', well my boy, I can think of no one better than yourself. Mind you, I hope you will be fair towards Harry, he has endured more than anyone should at his age. He will also need to talk about what happened at his Aunt and Uncles, and I doubt he will talk to anyone… 'and you believe he will talk to me?' Well I guess you will know how to approach the subject. After all, the situation between the two of you at that age is quite simil….."

He was silenced by Severus standing up and pushing aside the tray of tea and biscuits. The tray clattered to the floor and the biscuits shattered. As Severus paced up and down, the crumbs from the biscuits chaffed into the weaves of the carped. The other two decided to not say anything and be motionless for the moment, Severus was obviously having a moment. Eventually Professor McGonagall decided to interrupt the silence."Do you really think Albus that Severus is the best person. I mean, you mean well Severus, but let's be honest, you hate the boy. You are constantly cruel to him, he has suffered enough cruelty, you cannot leave Harry to spend his summer with Severus." Minerva was silenced by Dumbledore.

He stood up and moved towards Severus who was looking out of the window. The headmaster came to stand in from of Severus, who slowly turned his head towards the headmaster. "This is my final decision Severus. I truly feel that this will be the best for the both of you. I think that by the end of the holidays, you will enjoy eachothers company very much. Who knows Harry might want to stay the next summer with you as well." Dumbledore said smiling at Severus. Severus went to protest once more when Professor Dumbledore leaned in, close to Severus ear and whispered something that only they could hear. 'You know this is what she would have wanted' Call it blackmail, but it worked.


Within two hours, they had gone and returned from Severus' house in Cambridge. The house was an 8 bedroom detached home on Latham road in Cambridge. It resembled a country home on the outside with big white windows. It was two storeys with a large attic space. The garden was very large, which contained numerous gardens, a greenhouse a lake and pond. The Headmaster and Professor Mcgonagall had left in order to give Severus time to make room for Harry. Severus had made it a fact, that he wanted the headmaster to 'tell Black and Potter that he will be staying here'.


Upstairs at Grimmauld Place, Harry had heard only some of the conversation that was said downstairs. Someone at some stage had decided to put a silencing spell on the room, frustrating Harry. It was only when Sirius burst out of the room that Harry knew that something horrible had happened. Following after Sirius, Harry wanted to find out what had happened. However, Sirius would only knock things over, and he continued to sulk for another few hours. By this time Harry had gotten a little annoyed and decided to go downstairs for some food.

Later that night Dumbledore and Mcgonagall had come over again to talk to Sirius. This time, was even worse than the morning. "What the bloody hell do you mean he will be staying with SNAPE! I thought you were going to send Harry to the Weasleys…." Harry was shocked when he heard the arguing from across the hall. Later that night Sirius came into Harry's room and sat down on his bed.

"This is not how I wanted things to be Harry. I would love for you to stay here this summer, and all the ones after. However Dumbledore does not think that the house is secure enough for you. Apparently I can't give you things here, that a boy your age needs…." Sirius started to space out, leaving Harry crestfallen, lying in bed. "I really hate to do this to you kid, but I tried, I really did. You are going to have to stay this summer with Snape" "SNAPE! What do you mean, but he hates me, he is going to kill me. Harry's eyes bulged hearing that he would have to stay the whole summer with the dungeon bat.

"I know kid. His house has some of the best wards in the country. I doubt even Pettigrew would be able to get in, slippery git.. Anyways Harry, You can floo here once or twice a week Dumbledore said; it's not like we won't see each other. Think of this as an adventure kid." Harry was looking even more upset by the minute, he felt like his summer would be identical to how it would be if he stayed at the Dursleys. Sirius got off of Harry's bed, and went to the door to turn off the light. Before he switched off the lights he said "Who knows ey, maybe snape lives in Dracula's castle, you know. Maybe he will sleep in a coffin, better keep a camera close." This slightly cheered Harry up, causing him to grin. His grin however turned into a sad smile, Harry would miss joking with his Godfather.

After the lights had been switched off, Harry sat in bed thinking about how his summer would turn out. Around midday Snape would come to pick Harry up. This meant that Harry would need to re-pack his luggage, he wondered what Snape's house would actually be like. Would Snape make him do chores like the Dursleys did? Would he have to study 24/7? Would he be gutting frog intestines all day? As Harry thought about all the ridiculous things things he might have to do, during the holidays; he drifted off into sleep. Only 14 hours until he would be a resident of the Snape Estate for 3 months.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry for not updating in forever! I have decided to pick up the story again. I will try to do a weekly update, as I am writing a few other fan fictions as well.

As always tell me what you guys think! Don't forget to Follow & Favourite :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3466