What the hell is happening ? by Ghostwolfsbane
Summary:

Set the summer after the Order of the Phoenix. Harry receives a letter which will change his and a certain potions professors life forever. This story features plot twists, betrayal, secrets, memory loss, more memory loss and backstabbing friends. Read to see what happens when Harry finally has the chance for a real family. [Severitus]


Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Lily, Neville, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Overly-protective Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Angry, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Loving, Snape is Secretive, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Fluff, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Amnesia, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry, Injured!Snape, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 64657 Read: 67111 Published: 18 Jan 2018 Updated: 13 Jan 2022

1. Chapter 1: Prologue (Re-written) by Ghostwolfsbane

2. Chapter 2: You come, only to go by Ghostwolfsbane

3. Chapter 3: Summer, Where am I? by Ghostwolfsbane

4. Chapter 4: Surprise, surprise, he's escaped by Ghostwolfsbane

5. Chapter 5: Not 1, not 2, but 3 letters by Ghostwolfsbane

6. Chapter 6: Welcome Home by Ghostwolfsbane

7. Chapter 7: Memories lost, and memories found by Ghostwolfsbane

8. Chapter 8: Family Bonding Time by Ghostwolfsbane

9. Chapter 9: Am I really leaving home? by Ghostwolfsbane

10. Chapter 10: Erase Your Tracks by Ghostwolfsbane

11. Chapter 11: Just tell me you didn't know by Ghostwolfsbane

12. Chapter 12: Dead to Me by Ghostwolfsbane

13. Chapter 13: What a Bad Student by Ghostwolfsbane

14. Chapter 14: Friend's Don't Lie by Ghostwolfsbane

15. Chapter 15: Why did he have to fall by Ghostwolfsbane

16. Chapter 16: Goodbye... I Love You by Ghostwolfsbane

17. Chapter 17: Something Is Not Right by Ghostwolfsbane

18. Chapter 18: Dungeon Bat or Father by Ghostwolfsbane

Chapter 1: Prologue (Re-written) by Ghostwolfsbane
Author's Notes:
Hi everyone! Welcome to my story 'What the hell is happening' or for short WTHIH.

This story is another Severus is Harry's biological father, only with many plot twists. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have been enjoying writing it.

 Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter; those copyrights below to JK, and will not be used for any financial benifit. 

Chapter 1: Prologue (Re-written)


Hogwarts: Headmasters Office

"Remus, thank you for coming at this time of the evening" Albus Dumbledore said, ushering the previous Hogwarts professor into his office.

Remus nodded his head in acknowledgment and sat down in an armchair in front of the headmaster's desk.

"Of course, Albus. When I had read your missive, I dropped everything; it seemed quite urgent. How is Harry by the way?" Remus furrowed his brow in concern.

"That is the question of the hour. I heard from Molly Weasley that Harry had not been responding to Mr. Weasley, that is, Ronald's letters these holidays. When I went over to the Weasley's home this morning, I was made aware of something very strange indeed. It came up in their conversation that a few years ago, the young Weasley boys flew Author's enchanted car to Surry. And in their words, they do so as to 'rescue' Mr. Potter from his aunt and uncle's home.

"Rescue?" Remus interjected sounding confused.

"Yes, apparently in Harry's second year, his family saw it fit, to put bars on his windows. I thought that maybe the muggles were taking security measures against neighbourhood burglars. However, Ronal made it very clear that only Harry's window had bars. And on an even grimmer note, Mrs. Weasley had been sending care packages to Mr. Potter that summer. Apparently, the muggles were withholding food from him."

There was a break in Dumbledore's speech, both men silent. Remus reflected on the severity of the situation, and he could not help but wonder how harry was currently faring. The headmaster bowed his head in shame, 'he should have checked in on the boy himself all of those years ago' he thought. Sighing, Albus resumed his conversation.

"Earlier this evening, I asked for Kinsley Shaklebolt to go to Harry's house in Little Winging; under the pretence of giving Harry some belonging which were left at Hogwarts. This of course was all a ruse, Kinsley was sent by me to properly suss out the Dursley's. I suggested that he try bringing up whether or not they liked having their nephew living with them. Both Dursleys, unfortunately made it very clear how much they despised their nephew. Kinsley faked his agreeance, as to try and get more information out of them. They stated that they kept the boy busy with chores, much more than any house elf should do. In short Remus, these people are the most despicable of humans, and the boy must not live in that house any longer. Of course I had hoped that they would love him like a son… "The headmaster drifted off in thought.

"This is a lot to take in Albus. Poor Harry has been sent back year after year, even though I remember his stating many times that he wished to stay at Hogwarts during the summer." Remus stood up abruptly, walking over to the window; not wanting to look Albus in the eye.

"I think it would be prudent Remus, that someone collect harry from his relatives as soon as possible; don't you? The sooner the better." Remus nodded his head in agreement, abruptly turned around and walked over towards the door. Only stopping to ask a question.

"What should I tell Harry, Headmaster?" Remus asked.

"Just tell Harry that he will be staying with Sirius. No need to get into detail, I still need some time to figure things out" Dumbledore said.

Just as Dumbledore was opening his door, and ushering Remus out of the office, another person was at the door.

"Ah, Severus, just in time; take care Remus."

And with Dumbledore's last words, Remus descended the stairs, whilst Severus and Albus sat down in order to have a serious discussion.


Grimmauld Place

Sirius Black could be found pacing up and down the threadbare carpet at number 12 Grimmauld Place. After getting an urgent telegram from the headmaster. Sirius had put Kreacher to walk immediately. The house elf dusted, mopped, and cleared out one large bedroom. Sirius could not hold in his excitement any longer, for his godson was to be staying with him for the summer.

There was a noise coming from the drawing room, a loud hissing noise. Running into the room, Sirius stood a few meters away from the fireplace with a grin on his face. He began to grin when Harry came barrelling out of the fireplace.

"Sirius!" Harry yelled, throwing his arms in the air and enveloping his godfather in a bear hug.

"It's good to see you too Harry" Sirius chuckled whilst ruffling Harry's hair.

"I've really missed this place Sirius….. Hey, It even looks less. Creepy" Sirius smiled at this.

"I've had Kreacher cleaning madly for the past few hours. I don't think he's done so much work since my mother died." Sirius smirked.

There was another hiss from the fireplace, Remus Lupin stepped out cool as a cucumber. Both friends said their greetings, Remus excused himself and went to the bathroom. However, not before brushing past Sirius telling him that he would be waiting in the study.

Sirius furrowed his brows in concern, however realised that Remus wanted a word in private; not wanting Harry to listen in.

When Sirius looked back at Harry, he could almost see the cogs in the boy's head turning, trying to decipher his and Remus' silent conversation. Needing to distract the boy, Sirius chirped up.

"So, want to race me to your room?" Sirius asked with a beaming smile.

When Harry heard this, he took shared the same smile as Sirius. Harry had never had a room called his own; he never counted his room as the Dursley's as one. Harry pushed Sirius aside, and began to run up the stairs, stopping on each level and wildly open all the bedroom doors.

Sirius stood in thought for a minute on the ground floor. For once, so happy at the thought of finally having family staying with him. He was taken from his thoughts when he could hear Harry yelling from 3 levels above "I love it!". Smiling at his godson's response, he barrelled up the stairs to go help Harry unpack.

After everything had been unpacked, and Harry was long asleep. Sirius' face when from happy to serious He walked to the study to find Remus lounging on a couch.

At seeing Sirius, Remus stood up with a serious look on his face, "We need to talk". And with that being said, Sirius closed and put a silencing charm around the room; ready for their conversation.


 

The End.
End Notes:
Hi everyone! I hope you liked this chapter. I've taken the time to re-write it, after not realising just how crap the previous one was before this. Hopefully this amended version will persuade you to read the rest of my story.

As I will most likely say every chapter, don't forget to follow and favourite the story. And if you would like, please review! Reviews always keep me motivated and give me food for thought.

Thanks everyone, and Happy readings!
Chapter 2: You come, only to go by Ghostwolfsbane

At Grimmauld Place the Order of the Phoenix members could be heard arguing in the kitchen. It was 10:30 am on Monday when a sudden Order meeting was called to place. Harry Potter had recently been permanently moved in with his godfather. Harry was currently sitting and trying to listen in on the argument that was being had downstairs.

"I told you Albus Dumbledore, those muggles were insane! The worst kind… look at what they did to poor Harry. Locked! And living under the stairs until the age of 11! Not to mention being locked up in his room, only allowed out to use the bathroom 2 times per day, and only for house chores." Professor McGonagall could be heard screaming at the Headmaster, who was cowering before her.

After the situation in the ministry between the Death Eaters, Harry was in a depressed state of mind. Having thought that he had lost Sirius had caused him to become withdrawn. Sirius was in a magical coma for days, and no one knew whether he would make it out alive. However, not 2 days later Sirius was out of his coma and ready to see his godson. In the meantime the headmaster decided to pay a visit to Harry's aunt and uncle, before the school holidays commenced. When speaking to Mr and Mrs Dursley, they had made it clear to the headmaster that they did not want Harry to come back this summer, or any others. After the dementor attack on Dudley, they wanted Harry out of there, and fast. When Professor Dumbledore had tried to negotiate with them, he was getting nowhere; which is when he decided to use legilimency. Normally, this would be frowned upon, however lets be honest, this was Albus bloody Dumbledore, what did he care about the rules, having written a few himself; why not bend some? This is however, how the headmaster found out about Harry's home life, whilst delving into his aunt's mind.

The headmaster left their house without a word of goodbyes, he did not even bother to walk out of the door; he apparated straight from the couch. Albus Dumbledore was furious, however there was little time. The headmaster had come to his senses, and decided that Harry could no longer stay at his previous abode. Therefore he called an Order meeting, to tell everyone what had happened. Harry however was unaware that all of the trusted Order members now knew his secret home life.

"Now Minerva I understand that you are angry, I am myself. However, screaming will not help Harry's situation. Whilst there are blood wards at his Aunt and Uncles which will protect him. I am sure that the Fidelius will be an adequate warding syst…" The headmaster was cut off by Sirius Black.

"Of course Harry is safe here. I have a right mind to strangle those bloody muggles for what they did to Harry. However after a thorough lecture from Remus, it seems that I will murder them in my dreams." "Yes, whilst we would all like to see those muggle's come to serious harm, i have reservations for Harry spending the summer here." Professor Mcgonagall said looking sideways towards Sirius.

"Whilst Harry loves you Sirius, as you are his closest connection to his parents…" The charms professor was cut off by Professor Snape.

"Yes, whilst that is all very well, you need to think about his well being…" "Wellbeing Snivellus… wow who would have thought that you could even grasp the concept of a wellbeing… washed your hair latel.." 'That's enough!' Dumbledore silenced Sirius with his booming voice. He motioned for Severus to continue.

"As I was saying. Let's face the facts here, Black was in Azkaban for more than 10 years, which has done a number on his physical and….. Mental frame of mind. Potter needs discipline and structure. He sits for his Newt exams in two years when he graduates. Potter needs to be studying to mindlessly talking and breathing quidditch. Headquarters is secure, for now… it is not foolproof. With so many people coming in and out of this house, it could be a security hazard for the boy."

"Now you listen here Snape. MY Godson has gone through complete hell. I think he deserves a bit of time off. And as for my mental wellbeing.." "Yes I do believe not minutes ago you mentioned killing muggles in your sleep" Snape finished his sentence smirking. Dumbledore once again had to intervene and taking the conversation back into his own hands. However, the headmaster was interrupted by Molly Weasley.

"Sirius, Severus has a very good point. A boy like Harry needs structure. And whilst I love all my son's as well as Harry; who I consider a son. They do need discipline, they are always running off and getting into trouble. Harry needs someone to help him get over what happened with his aunt and uncle, as well as feed, cloth and teach him." All heads were nodding in agreement, Severus could be seen smirking at Sirius, who only turned his head away.

"I thought you said Dumbledore that Harry was to stay here with me permanently! And now you are talking about shipping him away?! NO!" 'Now Sirius' "No! I won't have this. He is my godson and deserves to be here, with family." Dumbledore looked at Sirius with a sad expression. "I know that I said Harry could stay here, however I have come to a conclusion. It would not be fair to let him stay here. If he were to stay here, that would mean that he could not possibly go outside. A boy his age needs fresh air and daily walks in the summer sun. If Harry were to stay here, he would need to be indoors 24 hours a day. It would remind him too much of living with his relatives. If you truly loved the boy Sirius, you need to let him go. Know I am not saying that you will not see him, we can arrange for Harry to come here once or twice a week." Hearing this, Sirius stood up so viciously that his chair tipped over backwards. He walked swiftly and angrily out of the room. Everyone else started to take their leave, however Severus and Professor Mcgonagall were ordered to meet Dumbledore back in his office.


Severus and Minerva were sitting in two armchairs in front of Dumbledore's desk, waiting for his arrival. With a quick whoosh of the floo network, the Headmaster glided around the room, and sat in his armchair with a loud thump; looking every bit his age. "Well that didn't go as well as I expected" Albus said in a rather low and tired voice. "I don't care how upset Sirius is, I totally agree with Severus. He cannot be holed up in that house, it's a madhouse in there. Harry needs the open air, someone who he can talk to about his relatives, i'm sure by this stage the poor boy has scars which haven't just been inflicted by you know who." Professor Mcgonagall finished by sipping her tea which the headmaster was pouring for the company.

"Yes, good so we are all in agreement with what Severus said yes 'yes' perfect. Well then my by, it looks like you will need to get your spare room ready for Harry then." Dumbledore was looking over his moon glasses at Severus, with a twinkle in his eyes.

The potions Professor spat his tea across the polished timber table. "WHAT?! I meant he needed those things, not that I WANTED TO BE THE ONE TO GIVE IT TO HIM" Severus said in a exasperated voice.

"But I think you to be the perfect person Severus. You have just recently purchased a new home, which you have given the finest wardings. No one, or creature would be able to get past the barrier to your home. When we spoke you mentioned that you had a sizeable property/garden. From what I gathered, Harry quite likes gardening, i'm sure he would like to be outside… "That boy is not touching my plants! They are priceless! And used for my potions…" "Come now Severus, you said it yourself. 'He needs discipline!', well my boy, I can think of no one better than yourself. Mind you, I hope you will be fair towards Harry, he has endured more than anyone should at his age. He will also need to talk about what happened at his Aunt and Uncles, and I doubt he will talk to anyone… 'and you believe he will talk to me?' Well I guess you will know how to approach the subject. After all, the situation between the two of you at that age is quite simil….."

He was silenced by Severus standing up and pushing aside the tray of tea and biscuits. The tray clattered to the floor and the biscuits shattered. As Severus paced up and down, the crumbs from the biscuits chaffed into the weaves of the carped. The other two decided to not say anything and be motionless for the moment, Severus was obviously having a moment. Eventually Professor McGonagall decided to interrupt the silence."Do you really think Albus that Severus is the best person. I mean, you mean well Severus, but let's be honest, you hate the boy. You are constantly cruel to him, he has suffered enough cruelty, you cannot leave Harry to spend his summer with Severus." Minerva was silenced by Dumbledore.

He stood up and moved towards Severus who was looking out of the window. The headmaster came to stand in from of Severus, who slowly turned his head towards the headmaster. "This is my final decision Severus. I truly feel that this will be the best for the both of you. I think that by the end of the holidays, you will enjoy eachothers company very much. Who knows Harry might want to stay the next summer with you as well." Dumbledore said smiling at Severus. Severus went to protest once more when Professor Dumbledore leaned in, close to Severus ear and whispered something that only they could hear. 'You know this is what she would have wanted' Call it blackmail, but it worked.


Within two hours, they had gone and returned from Severus' house in Cambridge. The house was an 8 bedroom detached home on Latham road in Cambridge. It resembled a country home on the outside with big white windows. It was two storeys with a large attic space. The garden was very large, which contained numerous gardens, a greenhouse a lake and pond. The Headmaster and Professor Mcgonagall had left in order to give Severus time to make room for Harry. Severus had made it a fact, that he wanted the headmaster to 'tell Black and Potter that he will be staying here'.


Upstairs at Grimmauld Place, Harry had heard only some of the conversation that was said downstairs. Someone at some stage had decided to put a silencing spell on the room, frustrating Harry. It was only when Sirius burst out of the room that Harry knew that something horrible had happened. Following after Sirius, Harry wanted to find out what had happened. However, Sirius would only knock things over, and he continued to sulk for another few hours. By this time Harry had gotten a little annoyed and decided to go downstairs for some food.

Later that night Dumbledore and Mcgonagall had come over again to talk to Sirius. This time, was even worse than the morning. "What the bloody hell do you mean he will be staying with SNAPE! I thought you were going to send Harry to the Weasleys…." Harry was shocked when he heard the arguing from across the hall. Later that night Sirius came into Harry's room and sat down on his bed.

"This is not how I wanted things to be Harry. I would love for you to stay here this summer, and all the ones after. However Dumbledore does not think that the house is secure enough for you. Apparently I can't give you things here, that a boy your age needs…." Sirius started to space out, leaving Harry crestfallen, lying in bed. "I really hate to do this to you kid, but I tried, I really did. You are going to have to stay this summer with Snape" "SNAPE! What do you mean, but he hates me, he is going to kill me. Harry's eyes bulged hearing that he would have to stay the whole summer with the dungeon bat.

"I know kid. His house has some of the best wards in the country. I doubt even Pettigrew would be able to get in, slippery git.. Anyways Harry, You can floo here once or twice a week Dumbledore said; it's not like we won't see each other. Think of this as an adventure kid." Harry was looking even more upset by the minute, he felt like his summer would be identical to how it would be if he stayed at the Dursleys. Sirius got off of Harry's bed, and went to the door to turn off the light. Before he switched off the lights he said "Who knows ey, maybe snape lives in Dracula's castle, you know. Maybe he will sleep in a coffin, better keep a camera close." This slightly cheered Harry up, causing him to grin. His grin however turned into a sad smile, Harry would miss joking with his Godfather.

After the lights had been switched off, Harry sat in bed thinking about how his summer would turn out. Around midday Snape would come to pick Harry up. This meant that Harry would need to re-pack his luggage, he wondered what Snape's house would actually be like. Would Snape make him do chores like the Dursleys did? Would he have to study 24/7? Would he be gutting frog intestines all day? As Harry thought about all the ridiculous things things he might have to do, during the holidays; he drifted off into sleep. Only 14 hours until he would be a resident of the Snape Estate for 3 months.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry for not updating in forever! I have decided to pick up the story again. I will try to do a weekly update, as I am writing a few other fan fictions as well.

As always tell me what you guys think! Don't forget to Follow & Favourite :)
Chapter 3: Summer, Where am I? by Ghostwolfsbane

It was a warm morning when Harry woke up. Little beads of sweat fell from his face as he slid out of bed. Harry was nervous, as today was the day that he would be leaving Grimmauld Place, to stay at his Professor Snape's house. Sirius Black was slowly stirring his coffee in the kitchen with a frown. Harry came walking into the room wearing his pajamas, with messy bed hair. 'Hey kiddo' Sirius said trying to sound cheerful. 'Hey' Harry replied softly, before sitting down and pouring himself some cereal. This morning was hard, for both Harry and his Godfather. After eating breakfast Harry went upstairs for a shower, then decided to pack his bags. He packed everything needed for his summer, however he left a few things behind just in case Snape let him stay over here for the night; which he doubted.

Sirius came upstairs just as Harry had finished packing his bag, to tell him that Snape would arrive in 2 hours. Having finished packing his suitcase, this left Harry wandering aimlessly through the halls. All of a sudden he felt a tingle on his neck, turned around, only just noticing a door he had never noticed. "Hey Sirius, what's through this door?" Harry yelled, pointing towards the black locked door. Sirius silently came up to the door and whispered a password that Harry could not hear. Within a few seconds the door creaked open, releasing dust into Harry's face.

"This room was my old study. I used to store a lot of stuff from when I was a kid. I would sometimes get your father's house elf to bring things to store in this room. I was the only one who could open the door, many of us friends stored our old books, clothes; just random things really. You can look around, but call me if you want to take a peek at something. Like I said, not everything belonged to me, some items might be cursed" With that being said, Sirius left the room; leaving the door wide open.

As Harry made his way around the room he peered at different bookshelves. He saw many old school textbooks, as well as some quidditch magazines. There were abandoned quills and parchment left on the table. Something however caught his attention on the floor under a blanket. It was a large Hogwarts trunk, with the initials peeled off; it could have been anyone's. Going against Sirius' orders, Harry went to open the trunk when Sirius cam barging into the room. "What do you think your doing?! I told you to tell me before you touch anything. You could have gotten yourself hurt!" Harry flinched at Sirius' unusually strict voice. Harry tried to make an excuse, however it died on his lips. After begging Sirius to check for spells, Sirius agreed that the chest was not cursed; Sirius left the room angrily whispering to himself. In this study there was numerous trunks, however the reason Harry was so drawn to this specific one, was the stickers on the sides. On the sides of the trunk there were stickers of old music bands, which wouldn't have peaked Harry's interest, if they weren't muggle bands. Once the lid was open Harry saw a Gryffindor robe and Head girl badge. Whilst sifting through more stuff, Harry tearily realised that this trunk belonged to his mother. There were school books, quills, diaries and empty chocolate wrappers. Harry's eyes wandered over the trunks contents longingly. Both of his parents were dead, however the more he looked at these objects, he felt a closer connection to them. Having the courage to pick something up, he decided to pick up an old charms book. As he flipped through it's pages, a few letters fell to the ground. Harry looked at the letters in excitement, hoping that they were from his mother to his father; or vice versa. He picked up other books that were in the trunk and riffled through the pages, only to find more letters. He hastily put the letters aside when he heard footsteps coming up the stairs. Not knowing why he was so worried that Sirius might find out that he had taken the letters, he decided to hide them in his jacket.

Thinking that it was Sirius coming upstairs to check on him again, Harry was relieved when Remus' head came poking through to doorway. "Hello Harry" Remus said with a warm smile. Harry returned the greeting, and slowly pushed Remus out of the way, and out of the room. With a click of the door, it was once again sealed. "How are you holding up? You know Sirius is really upset, he's sulking again downstairs." Harry responded with a snort. "Yeh, he's all charm this morning. I don't know what's wrong with him, it's not my fault that I have to leave Grimmauld Place. He's acting weird and withdrawn, just before, he got me into trouble for almost touching something in that room." he sighed, pointing back to the sealed door.

"Look Harry, Sirius is trying to be strong, but he's cracking. He was really looking forward to spending this entire summer with you. Only for you to now have to spend it with Professor Snape, it's eating him up Harry. From what Professor Dumbledore told me, Professor Snape will be here in 30 minutes. Why don't you spend your remaining time with Sirius. Just talk to him Harry, he would appreciate it." Remus and Harry both walked down stairs in order to find Sirius, who was now seated in the lounge room, looking ever glum. Remus hugged Harry goodbye, leaving Sirius and Harry alone.

They were silent for 5 minutes before Sirius had the courage to speak. "I'm sorry about how I acted before Harry. I really wanted this summer to be just us. Me telling you about your dad, and what we used to get up to. You will come visit won't you Harry? Don't let Snape force you into staying at his dumb old house. I mean Grimmauld Place might not be the best home, but I mean, if this place looks like this, can you imagine what Snape's home will look like! He probably lives in Dracula's Castle." Sirius imitated someone vomiting, and which harry laughed at.

"Of course i'll come here Sirius, you just try and stop me. I'm sure this summer will be ok, I just hope he makes potions the whole time, and forgets that i'm living with him." Looking longingly at his Godfather he heard the floo flair. Deciding that he did not want to see Snape just yet, Harry let his Godfather talk to his potions master for the time being. Walking up the stairs, Harry retrieved his wand from the bedside table and put it in his jacket. Only just remembering about his mother's letters, Harry quickly yet carefully stowed them away in his trunk. He grabbed all of his belongings and took Hedwig's cage with him, he proceeding to walk down the stairs; dragging his luggage behind him.

At the bottom of the stairs Sirius could be seen having a heated argument with Severus Snape. Harry's thumping of his suitcase brought Sirius and Severus' attention towards him. 'Potter' Severus greeted Harry tersely. "Well Potter, it looks like I will have the privilege of caring for your wellbeing these holidays. Won't you say goodbye to your dogfather?" Snape said sarcastically trying to get a rise out of Sirius; which he succeeded at doing. Without waiting, Snape snatched Harry's luggage from his hands and walked towards the floo network. Harry stayed behind with Sirius for a second to say his goodbye. It was a teary goodbye between godfather and godson. 'Give him hell Harry' Sirius whispered whilst ruffling Harry's hair. Not wanting to show Snape that he was crying, Sirius waved to Harry goodbye and ascending to his bedroom. Harry took Hedwig's cage in hand and walked into the other room to find Snape waiting patiently by the floo network. Snape looked Harry up and down and grunted. "In order to get to my home Potter, we will floo to the Headmaster's office first, which is when we will walk to the outside of the Hogwarts gates. From there we will apparate to my property." 'Why don't we just floo to your house?' Harry asked the Professor with a frown. The Professor made a look which said he was impressed. "Well Potter, why didn't I think about that? That would be so much quicker" Harry smiled, then lost said smile after looking at Snapes smirking face. "Do you really think if it were that easy, that we would go to all this trouble to get to my home. My house is warded with numerous spells, which keeps intruders out, and which will now will keep you in. That means no wondering off Potter" Snape snarled at Harry. Without so much as another word, Snape threw in the floo powder and walked briskly into the fire; hauling Harry along with him.


What greeted Harry, was not at all what he expected. Normally the floo network connected to a fireplace inside someone's home, however he was greeted by a breeze on his face. Stepping out of the fireplace, he realised that he was in a garden; the grounds of Snape Manor. Professor Snape had walked out of the network and was seen quickly lugging Harry's suitcase into the house. Harry stood in front of the house staring at it, up and down. It was a three storey large country home. As the wind started to pick up, Harry dashed inside. The room he now stood in was a rather cosy lobby. Walking throughout the house and into the lounge room, Harry noticed that the house was very nicely kept. The walls were a deep timber, with white windows and furniture; it created a very calming environment. The Professor however, was nowhere in sight, "Um Professor?" 'In here Potter' the Professor replied. Harry followed the Professor's voice, and walked into a small room with a winding staircase. The Professor was waiting by the stairs looking like his normal self, cross and upset. "Instead of wandering about my home, listen and follow closely, this is the only time that I am going to show you around."

Both Harry and the Professor walked around the ground floor of the house. The ground floor consisted of a living room, large study, very large reception hall, a formal dining room, kitchen and informal dining area. The ground floor also contained a bedroom which the professor pointed out was for the house elf that lived permanently at the house/manor. The more they looked at each area on the ground floor, the more Harry became confused. Snape was someone had quite a temper, and lived in a dingy dungeon. He was always referred to by students as the bat of the dungeon, so how come his home was so normal? The formal dining room was the most different from everything else in the house. Every room contained very dark wood, however the formal dining area was pure white, and had creamy accented furnishings. The house was very old, from the cornices to the stain glass windows, it had a lot of character. Finally walking to the second level, there was a fireplace and a few cabinets in the hallway. The Professor opened the door in the middle of the hallway. The room was rectangular with a seated area at the bay window. Every single wall was a bookshelf, which contained books vertically and horizontally. There was a master desk which was empty save for the quill and inkwell. On the other side of the room, there was a smaller desk. "This is the Library, I expect you to come in here multiple times throughout the Summer. I expect all of your summer homework to be completed to a standard that satisfies me. This will be your desk, therefore, when you unpack your suitcase, place your books on this desk straight away." With a final look over the room, the Professor swept out of the room beckoning Harry to follow.

The final stop was Harry's new room. When the Professor opened the door, Harry once again was surprised. He thought that the Professor would have given him the worst room of the house. However, looking around the room, he noticed how spacious it was. To the far right of the room stood a large King size bed, bigger than anything Harry had ever slept in. "Lunch will be at 12pm, therefore I expect you to finish unpacking your bag by then" Snape sneered at Harry then left the room, slamming the door behind him. Harry looked about the room smiling to himself. While he did not want to be here, this was probably the best room he had ever seen in his life; and it was all his for the summer. There was a large window which overlooked the luscious grounds. Harry dragged his suitcase to the wardrobe, opening the door, he was shocked. The doors were not for a wardrobe, instead they were doors into a concealed room. Wondering why there was a secret room, Harry only just realised that the room was a walk in wardrobe, when he saw coat hangers on the far side of the room. Opening his suitcase, Harry took his folded clothes and placed them on the shelves. He then hung up his robes, and placed his shoes on the floor so they sat side by side. After he put away all his clothes, Harry realised that only ¼ of the room was taken up by his clothes.

Walking out of the closet Harry touched random furnishings in the room, whilst looking around foggily. Even though he was 15 years old Harry was so excited by his new room that he ran across the room and jumped onto his bed. Flipping over he faced the ceiling and started to tear up. Harry felt emotional thinking about the life he could have had if his parents were alive. Would his room be as nice as this? Would he be able fly around in his garden. Sitting up and wiping his eyes, Harry realised that he forgot about a door that was across the room. Opening the door he realised that he had his very own ensuite bathroom. It contained a separate shower and claw foot bathtub. The room was very Slytherin like, the tiles from top to bottom were dark green. Harry moved to the window to see birds flying freely outside, when out of nowhere he heard a pop. Turning around, in the middle of the bathroom stood a small house elf. "Sorry Master Potter, Trixy is not be meaning to scare you." Blinking, Harry smiled at Trixy. "Oh, hello, and no you didn't scare me." Trixy started to blabber saying how kind Harry was, and how she had heard what a kind, and smart wizard Harry was. "Professor is be looking for you Master Potter, lunch in served" With a pop, Trixy left to go down to the kitchen. Harry quickly made his way downstairs, worried that Snape would get mad that he was late.


"Glad to see you're on time Potter" Snape sneered at Harry from behind. Harry was only 5 minutes late, however he could tell that his Professor was annoyed. They both walked into the informal dining area and sat down. Snape started placing food on his plate, whilst Harry merely stared, his mouth watering. The food looked exquisite, there was a mixture of salads, sandwiches, soup, and various cakes. After eating their food in silence, the potions master asked Harry to follow him to the study. "Sit down Potter, and grab a piece of parchment and a quill." Harry cautiously sat at his table, and did what he was told.

"Alright Potter, I'm going to go over the rules for the Summer and you will write what I say. You will be living in my home for this whole summer, however you will be allowed to visit your dogfather once a week; which day I am not certain as of yet. You will not treat my home as you do Hogwarts. Like Hogwarts however, you will have a curfew, now don't interrupt me, listen. You will be in your room by 10:00 pm every night, and lights will be out by 11:00 pm. We will eat breakfast at 8:00 am each morning, besides weekends which will be 8:30 am. Lunch you may eat wherever on the property you wish, as I will most likely be in my potions lab. Dinner we will eat together at 6:00 pm every night. If you get hungry throughout the day, you may ask Trixy, and she will bring you food. Now, whilst I have a house elf you will not abuse her. I expect you to make sure that your room is constantly clean. Any dirty clothes that you have better not be lying on the floor. There is a hamper in your bathroom, they will be sent to Trixy where she will have them washed and layed out on your bed; you will however put your clothes away." Harry sat looking at Snape not having written anything. Snape looked pointedly at Harry's parchment, signalling him to start writing.

Harry wrote what time his curfew, meals, and what his chores were. Having spent his whole life living with the Dursleys, these chores were a joke; but he wasn't about to tell Snape that. The potions master sat down on a chair opposite Harry. He looked wearily at Harry, then said something that startled Harry. "I need to offer you an apology Potter. I have not been the kindest person to you, i've belittled you and said that you lived a…. Well I was wrong, and your relatives were not your personal house elf; but the other way around. I think that since our Occlumency classes I have figured out what your problem is. You act out, or lash out when you don't know things, or aren't included. You said that you looked into my pensieve because you wanted to know what was happening in the order. I disagree with Dumbledore, maybe if you had been told something about what was going on in the Order, what happened at the Ministry would not have happened." Snape stood up and starting to pace backwards and forwards on the carpet.

"I want you to understand something. I sympathise with what happened with your relatives, but I will not pity you. Considering how the dark lord has such a large interest in you, think of your past situations as character building. I am not going to lie, the headmaster wished for me to be your caretaker, I didn't beg to have you here; the headmaster however was adamant. Let's just say I can understand better than some people, what your relatives did to you. That being said, I think, and Dumbledore thinks that it is important that you not keep your feelings bottled up, but that you talk about what transpired between you and your relatives. You don't necessarily have to speak with me, you will be at Black's once a week, meaning you can talk to him. However, my door so to speak is always open should you wish to talk. And you will, talk that is, before the holidays are over. You cannot let your anger fester and boil up inside of you, eventually you will explode and hurt someone; trust me." Snape looked at Harry, seeming surprised that Harry had not yet interrupted his ranting.

Harry merely nodded in acknowledgement to what Snape said. Whilst looking out of the window, Harry asked "So is that all the rules you have? Just to clean my room…" Snape went on to telling Harry that he would have to do an hour of school work every day, which included, reading textbooks or writing essays. Harry would be allowed to fly out in the garden, however he could only go as far as the property's border. Harry made a promise that if he was going to go flying he would tell Snape, before he went outside.

"Before you leave Potter, there is one more thing. I would like you to give me your invisibility clo..."

"No! You can't have that, that was my dad's. No! no! you can't have it, get lost Snape!" Just having heard what he had said, Harry was wide eyed as he waited for Snape to start screaming back at him. The potions master on the other hand took in a deep breath and a long pause, he walked towards Harry and said in a very soft yet chilling voice. "I will pretend that I did not hear what you just said to me. I am not taking it to get back at your father. I do not want you getting into mischief around my home. I am in-charge of your wellbeing, therefore I need to make sure I know where you are every minute of the day, and that you are safe. As for your outburst, and language, go to your room!, and don't come down until dinner… Oh and no using your wand!" Snape fled the room, and down the hall to his potions lab. Severus sat on a stool in front of his cauldron and put his head between his hands; and sighed.


Harry sulked whilst walking to his room, where he slammed his door shut. Harry spent the majority of the day walking around his room bored, reading a month old quidditch magazine; having forgotten all about his mother's letters. Trixy had come into the room 2 hours later to retrieve Harry's invisibility cloak for Severus. Feeling angry Harry sat by his window looking out at the garden. He then stood up and started pacing backwards and forwards, talking out loud to himself. "I'm in-charge of you this summer!" Harry said trying to imitate Snape's voice. "Snape thinks he's in charge of me?! Alright, so he's actually shit at assigning chores, and I won't have to do anything near as much to what I was forced to do at the Dursleys. But to take away my dad's invisibility cloak?! And I will definitely not talk to him about the Dursleys….. There is nothing to even talk about!." Harry was getting more and more riled up. He started to open and close his draws and cupboard doors, in order to make a continuous banging noise; it was all that helped him not start crying. As he walked around his room he stumbled and tripped over his Hogwarts suitcase. With a pop his trunk opened and out fell his broom, It gleamed at Harry enticingly. Even knowing that it was a bad idea, Harry was very annoyed at Snape, and didn't want to follow his rules. Harry grabbed his broom, pushed open his window and jumped. He flew around the grounds for 2 hours, the first 60 minutes calmed Harry. However, the more he flew the more he realised that he had made a terrible mistake. Snape was actually being very good to him, he had even apologised for his past behaviour. And all Harry had done was go behind Snape's back, even when he just told him not to fly without getting his permission first.

Deciding that he should head back inside, he quickly made his way back to his bedroom. As the window was already open, Harry flew inside and hopped off of his broom. Harry thanked Merlin that he got inside without Snape noticing that he was flying outside. He truly felt bad that he disobeyed Snape. Not wanting to think, he decided to have a shower. He walked over to his walk-in wardrobe and placed his broom into his trunk, then his trunk deep inside his closet. Harry closed the doors shaking his head at what he had done. Turning around to head to the bathroom, his eyes shifted towards his bed. There sitting on the mattress was the potions master with his arms crossed and a furious expression on his face. 'Potter' Snape said in a very grave voice. "You have some explaining to do".


The End.
End Notes:
ust a note, I will be going on vacation for 15 days starting tomorrow. I am not sure if I will be able to update during that time, however I'm trying to be positive. (Maybe I can write on the plane?) I say to myself, if i'm being honest, i'll probably just sleep.

I hope you guys liked this chapter, don't forget to review, leave some comments! And Fav this story!

Have a good week my fellow Potter Fans
Chapter 4: Surprise, surprise, he's escaped by Ghostwolfsbane

Severus was standing with his arms crossed looking at Harry. His features were changing so rapidly that Harry could hardly tell what the Professor was thinking. Harry too stood motionless, he was dreading what the professor would do. He was busted! Flying outside even when the professor had said not to go without telling him.

 

Severus continued to stare at Harry, his breathing was shallow, and it looked as though he was ready to explode. They both stood and stared at each other, neither saying anything. Severus was the first person to break the silence “Potter, it has not even been one day, and already you disobey my orders. What were one of the rules?” 

‘To not go outside without telling you first’ Harry replied looking at his feet. 

“Look at me when you speak, not down at the floor! Honestly, did someone put a wand to your head to make you go outside. Like I have already said before, you should not be outside without supervision. This property is secure, however you can never be too sure how powerful your foes are. Your brash thinking and stupidity is what almost got you and your little friends killed at the ministry. You will stop this childish behaviour, this is what I would expect from a four year old. You will be turning 16 this summer, it’s time to grow up Potter. 

Because you have disobeyed my rules, and continue to do childish things you are grounded!.” The professor appeared to be as angry as the time that Harry broke into his pensieve. 

 

Harry stood motionless, not trusting himself to speak; in case he spoke out of turn and made the professor angrier. The professor paced up and down harry’s room and started to speak in a deadly calm voice. “Since you think yourself above the rules, whilst you will not be confined to your room, you will however to the library. You will awaken at the normal time I specified, come for breakfast, then clean up after yourself. You will then go to the library, where you will study everyday for 2 weeks. There will be no little trips outside, therefore you will hand over your broom to me, and when I think that you are acting sensibly you may have it back. Trixy will be looking in on you constantly so any rule breaking, and she will notify me straight away. All privileges will be taken away, meaning no dessert, and definitely sneaking around the hallways. Last year was a flop where you schooling comes to mind. You will take your schooling seriously, I will not have you getting subpar results if I can help it! In the evenings you will help me brew, and let’s just hope that something will sink in.” The professor went on to say that for the remainder of what was left of the evening, Harry would spend it alone and inside his room. 

 

After being sent his dinner, Harry sat sulking in his room slowly eating his pea and ham soup. There was no dessert sent along with his food, only a bowl of vegetables and a lone plum. After deciding that he had eaten enough, Harry decided to go have a shower, to calm his ever growing nerves. ‘How could I have been so stupid! Flying even when the professor had told me not to.’ Harry thought to himself. Harry was frustrated with the fact that he was grounded, it reminded him of what it was like when he lived with the Dursleys. The studying he didn’t mind, as he normally had to complete his assignments on the Hogwarts Express just before school commenced. However the whole situation was just too much for Harry. Living with Snape was turning out to be a nightmare. Harry was under the impression that he was going to be living with Sirius throughout the holidays, it was meant to be their bonding time. Now he was stuck here with the bat of the dungeons helping him make potions. Smashing his hands onto the tiled bathroom wall, Harry turned off the running water and grabbed a towel. Snatching a fresh batch of clothes Harry marched into his walk-in-wardrobe and started to put on an ill matched pair of Dudley’s old clothes. He proceeded to get his Hogwarts backpack and shoved his toothbrush and other day-to-day items into it. Harry at this stage was running on adrenaline, and was acting hastily. He opened his bedroom door and peered down the hallway making sure the coast was clear. Quickly sprinting down the hallway Harry sped around the corners of every room making a dash for the garden. Quickly looking sideways Harry ran to the floo network, when he realised that there was no floo powder left outside. Frantically shaking his head he weighed his options. Run back inside and try to find some floo powder, and risk getting caught? Or accio some, the Ministry would never be the wiser; as this house was bound so tightly with wards. ‘Accio floo powder’ Harry spoke very quietly. Within 10 seconds the pot was in Harry’s trembling hands. Grabbing a hand full of powder Harry spoke his destination and was whisked away. 

 

Snape Manor was silent, only the wind from outside could be heard. Within two minutes loud bangs could be heard. Doors were being slammed open ‘POTTER!’ Professor Snape’s voice howled in fury. Trixy had seen the pot of floo powder floating outside and into Harry’s outstretched hands. After telling the professor he was now beyond mad. 

“That stupid, idiot! What was he thinking? not only sneaking out of the house again! mind you, but stealing my floo powder. What happens if the network was intercepted and the boy gets captured! Grrhhh TRIXYY, go to the floo network and cast some spells, try to find out where that idiot went; i’m getting my travelling cloak.”

 

Within 10 minutes both angry potions teacher and sniffling elf were outside standing in-front of the floo network; having just found out where Harry had gone. ‘Grimmauld Place’ Snape growled in a low voice, Trixy’s ear flattening at hearing his masters tone. Picking up the floo powder pot the Professor doused his hands inside to pick up the powder when he realised that he could feel nothing. Harry in his haste dropped the remaining powder on the ground, which was now scattered amongst the leaves and the wind. The professor’s facial muscles were protruding due to his anger. The only way he could now get to Grimmauld Place would be to apparate there. However, the professor did not know where in London the house was; having always taken the floo network. His next option was to apparate to Hogwarts where he would go to Dumbledore's office, then floo to the Order’s secret house.


 Grimmauld Place

 

Sirius Black and Remus Lupin were both sitting at the dining table when they heard the sound of the floo network. Walking into the other room they saw a Gryffindor backpack fly out of the fireplace, next a scrawny scruffy black haired boy; who fell onto the floor. Grinning at Harry Sirius helped Harry up. 

“What on earth are you doing here at this time of night Harry?” Sirius asked smiling. “Not sick of Snape so seen ey?” His happiness turned into concern, then anger as he analysed Harry’s upset face.

“What the hell did that bastard do to you Harry? I’ll KILL HIM! I mean it…” Sirius was interrupted by Remus. 

“Not to be so hasty Sirius, but I think Harry has some explaining to do.” Guiding Harry, whilst Sirius followed into the dining room, Remus made some tea, and they all sat down to listen to Harry’s story. “So what happened Harry?” Remus asked taking a sip of his black tea.

 

Harry proceeded to tell his godfather and friend what had transpired at Snape Manor during his first day there. He spoke about how Snape had taken away his father’s invisibility cloak and how that tipped him over the edge. About how he would be having to study constantly and how he would have to be in the presence of Snape ever night whilst helping him brew potions. He then went on to ashamedly tell Sirius and Remus about how he disobeyed Snapes orders and went flying without approval.

 

“So let me get this right. You disobey Snape and go outside. He then grounds you and confines you to your room. You then you sneak outside to his floo network, used magic to accio the floo powder and left” Remus finished with astonishment in his voice. Sirius then cut in quickly. 

 

“Well can you blame Harry, stuck with Snape, I would have done the same thing. And confining him to his room, and forcing him…. ‘Yes forcing him to do schoolwork… honestly Sirius that’s not a bad punishment, at least he means for Harry to improve in his school work…” Whilst Harry tuned out his elders who were arguing over his situation, he wondered when or even if Snape had already realised that he was gone.

 


Currently at Hogwarts

 

“The boy’s a menace Headmaster, just like that, stole my floo powder and left. What if the floo network was intercepted and death eaters had captured him.” Severus was pacing around the room whilst throwing his hands up and down for theatrical effect. The headmaster sat at his desk with his hands interlocked. 

“Well at least Severus, we know that he was going for Grimmauld Place, why don’t we both go there now.” “There is no need headmaster I wish to go alone….”  

 

“Yes but going alone might make you do or say something that you will regret. You need to be patient with the boy Severus, he has had a hard life. And yes, I will admit I am the one to take the blame; having him go to the Dursley’s every Summer has hurt the boy. I know that you and him have never seen eye to eye, however I believe that you will surprise yourself Severus. There is something similar about the two of you, find out what that is, and use it to bond.” ‘Bond… nothing to bond about… insolent boy..’ Severus muttered to himself as both professors got ready to floo to Grimmauld Place.


Currently at Grimmauld Place

 

Harry tried to bodily intervene as Sirius and Remus started to argue heatedly about the right parenting for Harry. Turning their heads as they heard a swoosh coming from the next room, the adults ceased fighting and drew their wands; waiting for an intruder. Only to be relieved when the Headmaster walked into the room with Snape trailing on his heels. ‘Potter!’ Severus growled stepping in front of the headmaster looking menacingly at the frightened boy. 

“Now, now Severus; calm down” The headmaster said in a calm voice, whilst reaching out to pry Severus away from Harry. Harry once again begrudgingly told the headmaster why he ran away from Snape’s, looking embarrassed. The headmaster pulled Harry into another room to speak to him alone; and once again explained why Harry needed to stay at the professor’s house. 

 

“While you will be allowed to come over to your godfathers, you must tell professor Snape first. He seemed very distressed when he had learnt that you had gone missing. When you get back to Snape Manor ...and you will go back tonight.. I would like you to apologise to the Professor; do try and make an effort Harry.” The headmaster finished with a smile and gave Harry a pat on the shoulder. Walking back into the room with the adults, Harry had slightly red cheeks due to the Headmasters beratement. Saying his goodbyes once again to his godfather and Remus, he was told to go back and wait inside; Snape was to stay behind and finish talking for a few minutes. 

 

Once Harry had left, Sirius did not waste any time in letting Snape know how he felt. Whilst Remus was trying to diffuse the argument, Severus merely stood still and only raised his right eyebrow towards the end of Sirius’ ranting. “Are you quite finished Black?” Severus asked sneering. “The boy can come to your house on the weekends, that way it is least likely that there will be any Order meetings.” Sirius started to protest again when Dumbledore interrupted, using a slightly strict voice. “That’s enough Sirius, you are not able to care for Harry, Severus can. His house is warded nearly just as good as Hogwarts. In here there is no freedom, Severus has an extensively large garden in which Harry can spend his time in.” Changing his conversation from Sirius to Severus the Headmaster started again. 

“Whilst I know that you have grounded Harry Severus, you will catch more bees with honey; as they say. While I understand that you have grounded him, I think it not fair to keep the boy locked up in his room. It might remind him too much of his time spent with the Dursleys.” Dumbledore was interrupted by Severus “Not fair! The boy is not living in a decrepit room, and being starved of food, you can hardly compare the two. His confinement to his room, will not remind him of the Dursleys i’m sure.”

 

“I think you are well in your rights as the boys guardian for the summer to do this. I am just saying that if you want the boy to stop fighting with you, I would recommend you let him outside, but give him limits. Maybe a time of day that he can go outside. And ease up on the study Severus, he has a whole summer ahead of him, mmhmm” Dumbledore continued lecturing the potions master for another 5 minutes, until Severus made a quick exit.


Back at Snape Manor

 

Harry sat in the living room sprawled out on the couch with his right arm perched over his eyes. He had never felt so embarrassed, why did he have to escape; how did this help his situation? Hearing creaking coming from the floorboards, Harry knew that the professor had finally come back, and would be eager to scream and lecture him some more. Sitting up, Harry waited for the Professor to come into the room, and waited for the onslaught of criticisms directed his way. As the Professor entered the room, he sat down opposite Harry, they both sat in silence for what seemed like an eternity. Eventually the Professor started to speak “I understand that you do not want to be living here with me this summer; I do understand. However, for this to work we both need to be in a better mood, and try to get along, as long as much as possible” The professor said begrudgingly with a slight look of disgust evident on his face. Continuing the professor decided to stand up and walk towards the unlit fireplace, breathing in he began saying “I have decided that you will not be confined to your room. I have decided that we will change your schedule, you may go outside everyday, and will be given free reign over your day.” At hearing this Harry’s eyes widened; was the professor in his right mind?

 

“Everyday you may do as you please. However I would like it if you spent some time on school work, one hour each day; besides weekends of course. You may go outside and walk around the gardens, mind that you remember to let Trixy know. Each night, I would still like us to do some potions work. Your marks really have been abysmal, and that partly is my fault. I will not make potions evening compulsory, you are old enough to make the right decisions. The problem with your behaviour, it seems always comes down to the fact that you have been kept in the dark, and you would like to be considered more independent. So for this reason I am allowing this sort of a schedule. This will be a trial, If I see that your behaviour continues to be good, then you can continue with this sort of a holiday.” The professor moved from the fireplace back to the couch. He looked at Harry to try and figure out what the boy was thinking. Harry looked astonished, and slightly weary. “I’m not sure I understand, what are the rules?” Harry asked confusedly. 

 

“The rules simply are that you start a normal home life routine. Get up, have breakfast, have a shower, go outside for fresh air (maybe exercise), read a book, fly. Yes, before you say anything I am going to give you your broomstick back. If you want to be treated as an adult, I want to see that you can be trusted like one. Be sensible, don’t get up to mischief and be respectful.” Harry interrupted the professor as he was insistent on this one topic. “So what is my punishment If I stuff up?” ‘And do you plan on; stuffing up’ Snape asked with a raised eyebrow. “No sir” Harry spoke in a soft voice, whilst looking at his feet. The professor sighed and spoke the final time for that night. “If you do disobey, or do something that is beyond what I think acceptable, then your freedom around the manor will decrease. Each time you do something bad, you will not be punished by being confined into your room. However you will have to do chores, or maybe even have to gut some frogs.” The professor finished saying that with a smirk and gleam to his eyes.

 

“This has been a long enough day as it is” Looking at the clock Snape realised that it was past 1am. Bidding Harry goodnight they both retired into their rooms. The professor poured himself a bath and massaged his aching head. Not knowing how he was going to get through the summer, the Professor sat there pondering what mischief Harry could potentially cause again, and how he could prevent it.

 

Harry similarly took a shower and placed the items in his backpack back into his closet. Having so much adrenaline, left Harry wide awake. He decided to write a letter of appology to the Professor. Once that was complete his snuck out of his room and down the hallway to slide the letter under the Professor’s door. Going back into his room he was still wide awake. He decided to grab a book from his trunk which he had stolen from Grimmauld Place on jinxes. Crawling into bed, he submerged under the covers and snuggled up with his book. As he opened the front page, he realised that something was poking his hand from the inside of the book. Pulling at the parchment he realised that it was a letter, the letter that his mother had written; for who he was unsure. Looking at the letter, everything else in the world became unfocused. 

 

Magic pulsed from the envelope shaking him through his veins. After gulping, Harry with shaky fingers decided to open the envelope. He had never spoken or verbally read anything that his mother had written, but here it was; an envelope written ‘from Lily’ with no receiver address. Opening the envelope Harry all of a sudden got zapped, and the letter glowed red. Harry had not checked for curses, however all of a sudden he felt very sleepy. His eyes began to close and he fell back onto his pillow. To anyone who walked into Harry’s bedroom they would think him to be asleep. However that was not the truth. The envelope had been jinxed, and anyone who was not supposed to receive the envelope would be immobilised. Harry was in fact awake, however just not able to open his eyes. Becoming slightly frightened Harry tried to calm himself by slowing his breathing.

 

What was in the envelope that Harry’s mother tried so hard to conceal? As Harry tried valiantly to yell and open his eyes, he couldn’t. Fatigue eventually took him, and he fell asleep one hour later. Harry slept peacefully that night, with dreams of his mother writing a letter from her desk, whilst he looked on from his crib. Not knowing if this was  a dream or a memory, Harry was content to see his mother. 

 

The Professor having gotten out of the shower saw something on the floor by his bedroom door. Seeing Harry’s messy chicken scratch writing the Professor read the letter to find that the boy had written him an apology letter. Having not expected the boy to do that, the professor did not know what to think of Harry. As the potions master could not fall asleep, he decided to check in on Harry and see if he was asleep. Opening the door and looking into Harry’s room he saw that Harry was fast asleep. In the dark the professor thought he saw a faint red light on the other side of the boy, but thought nothing of it; thinking himself merely tired.

Little did he know the letter which had been glowing a faint red, had turned into a luminous blue, as he closed the door and left the room.


Next chapter: Not 1, not 2, but three letters.

The End.
End Notes:
Hey Guys, sorry for the late update. Have just come back from travelling and have been recuperating, from a long flight.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to leave some comments and add this to your favourites :)
Chapter 5: Not 1, not 2, but 3 letters by Ghostwolfsbane
Author's Notes:
Hey guys, hope you all had a lovely week. Sorry for the late update, I start Uni again in 5 days; so busy times!

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this new chapter and don't forget to comment and follow the story :)

Chapter 5: Not 1, not 2 but 3 letters

 

 

It was an oddly quiet morning today, the sun slowly began to creep into Harry’s bedroom. It was nearing 7 am when Harry began to rouse awake. Rolling over in his bed Harry stretched out his arms when he heard a light crunch. Opening his eyes, he looked to the left of him and realised the noise came from the letter he was trying to read the previous night. Lifting the letter, he felt a buzz shoot up through his arm. Realising that it was too early to figure this mystery out, he tossed the letter onto his left nightstand and got out of bed. 

 

 

Walking into the bathroom, Harry had a quick shower and got dressed. As he finished lacing his old sneakers, Harry made eye contact with the letter. He paused for a second and finished tying his sneakers. Looking at his trunk, Harry remembered the 2 other letters that he had taken from Grimmauld Place. He was brought out of his musings by the grumble in his stomach. Deciding to creep down the stairs towards the kitchen to get some breakfast, Harry remembered writing an apology letter to Snape and sliding it under the door. How would Snape act? Would he accept his apology? Did he even read the letter, or did he just throw it away?

 

 

Deciding to just bite the bullet, Harry walked into the kitchen to find, as usual, the Professor sitting at the table, nursing a cup of plain black coffee. Snape made no sign of noticing that Harry had entered the room. Trixy, popped into the room and motioned Harry to sit at the table, where she was placing a bowl of cereal in front of him. Harry quietly sat down and sliced an apple to put into his cereal. Minutes passed on, and no one had made a move to talk. All that could be heard was Harry slurping the milk in his cereal, and Snape occasionally flipping through the Daily Prophet.

 

 

Putting the newspaper down, the potions professor began “That was a very mature thing you did last night Potter. Apologizing for what you did, even though what you did was very immature. None the less, I accept your apology.” Harry was surprised after hearing Snape, for the first time, have a calm conversation with him.

 

 

“I really am a sorry professor, I’ll be better next time,” Harry said in a soft voice, however maintaining eye contact. The professor merely ‘mhmm’ in agreeance. 

 

“So, Potter, what are you doing today?” Snape questioned.

 

“Probably just write a few letters to my friends….” ‘Don’t forget Potter, you mustn't tell Weasley and Granger that you are staying here. If you must, tell them you are staying with Black.’

 

 

Agreeing to say that he was staying with his godfather, Harry excused himself to write to his friends. Deciding that he should write his letters outside under a tree, Harry quickly went upstairs to gather his quill and some parchment.

 

It was slightly breezy; however, the sun was not hidden by clouds today. Harry sat under a big tree full of leaves, which slightly shaded him from the scorching sun. His first letter was to Ron.

 

 

Dear Ron,

 

How’s your holiday so far? Mine’s pretty alright. I’m staying at Padfoot’s these holidays. It gets pretty boring here, there is not much to do. Anyways, anything is better than the Dursley’s right? 

 

Look, I’m writing to apologize for what happened/ could have happened at the Ministry of Magic (MOM). All you guys could have been seriously hurt, or even killed. I would never have been able to deal with myself, knowing that it was because of me that you died. So, yeah, I just wanted to say sorry!

 

Anyways, I hope Romania is nice, and your family is doing well. Our OWL results are going to be coming out at the end of the holidays. I hope we get a chance to catch-up way before then. If I’m being honest, I don’t know what else to write about. So, when you get the chance, write back soon, like I said; there’s not much to do here.

 

Harry.

P.s. Say hi to Fred, George, and Ginny.

 


 

 

Laying aside Ron's letter, he grabbed a new bit of parchment and began to write a letter to Hermione.

 

 

Dear Hermione,

 

How is everything at home? I hope that you are doing better since the ordeal at the MOM. I can’t apologize enough for what happened. You and the others should never have come along. It was all my fault, and I should have only been the one to get hurt. To be honest, I miss you guys more than ever now.

 

On a good note, I’m not staying at the Dursleys anymore; I’m at Padfoot’s. It’s getting a bit boring here holed up in this house. I hope that it won’t be long until we catch up, otherwise, I might just go out of my mind if I have to see only Padfoot and Kreacher.

 

Have you figured what subjects to do for next year? I’m sure you will get all Outstanding’s, for your OWLS. Me on the other hand, don’t tell Ron, but I’m worried that I failed everything. With Umbridge and everything going on last year, I don’t think I did well enough.

 

Anyways, hopefully, things will be better this year, look forward to hearing from you soon.

 

Harry

 


 

 

After finishing his letter to Hermione, Harry wrote a letter to Neville, Luna as well as Ginny; apologizing for the Ministry. Having written so many apology letters, this left Harry feeling dizzy. Lying back against the tree trunk, Harry dozed off to sleep, until he was awakened 2 hours later by raindrops landing on his head. The sky had turned from blue to a deep grey, it started to pelt down with rain. Harry quickly grabbed his letters and made a dash for the house.

 

 

Harry quickly opened the door and thudded into the house. He brought in the dirt that was on his shoes with him. He softly called Trixy and asked her to clean his shoes and the floor that was covered in mud, not wanting to anger Snape. Looking at the grandfather clock in the lounge room, Harry realised that it was lunchtime already. Walking into the dining room, Snape was nowhere to be seen. Deciding to take his lunch into the study upstairs. It had a good view of the grounds and a comfy balcony seat. 

 

 

After eating some sandwiches whilst sitting at the bay window, Harry got to thinking about his Hogwarts subjects and what his potential marks were. He knew that Snape would probably kill him if he knew what his marks were; he would just have to hide them first. Putting aside his empty plate (which quickly disappeared thanks to Trixy) Harry continued to sit at the window and reflect on the previous school year. It was another 2 hours later, that Harry snapped out of his daydreaming and remembered the letters in his room, sitting in his trunk.

 

 

Getting down from the seat, Harry briskly walked to his room where he strode towards his trunk. Opening the lid Harry removed the 2 books that he had used to store the letters.

Opening the first book, Harry touched the second letter from his mother. Once his hand touched the letter, it zapped him as did the other one. Feeling frustrated Harry threw his book onto the ground, and reached for the other book, which stored the final third letter. Cautiously touching the thirst letter, Harry prepared himself to feel the zap; however, it never came. Looking at the letter, this one did not glow, nor did it produce any weird zapping feelings.

 

 

Looking at the letter closely, Harry realised that it had written on it, the same thing as all the others. Carefully analysing the front of the letter, was for nothing, as nothing significant popped up. He flipped the letter over, and tried to rip it open, however, this letter too could not open. As he tried to open this letter, whilst it did not open, something appeared in the bottom right-hand corner of the envelope; It was a date. It read {30.07.1996}.

 

 

Harry was surprised when he read the date, it was the date for his 16th birthday, which was only a mere few months away. Sliding his hand over the date, Harry felt a warm tingle. Looking at the letter to see if anything had changed he realised that the date had disappeared. Quickly flipping the letter over, Harry was mesmerised, feeling a mixture of happy and sad feelings. The words ‘Harry’s Letter’, where replaced by ‘From Lily, your mother’. Trying to open the letter again, to no avail, Harry could not do it. 

He realised then and there, that he would most likely be able to open the letter on the date specified; his birthday. He would just have to wait until then to see what his mother had written. 

 

 

Gabbing a new journal, Harry went back into the study and sat at the study table Snape said was his. In this Journal Harry wrote on the front page ‘Theories to the 3 letters’. Sitting back Harry cringed, remembering Tom Riddle’s Diary. However, putting that aside Harry spent the next 3 hours, sitting in the library, writing down the many theories he had. He wrote about what he thought each letter contained. For example, Letter 1, Harry guessed was for his Graduation. Letter 2, was for accounts at Gringotts Bank. And the 3rd obviously for him on his 16th birthday.

 

 

Feeling mentally fatigued Harry sat back and looked on fondly at his afternoon of investigative work. Snape was leaning against the doorframe looking at Harry with one eyebrow raised. 

“Well, well, you voluntarily are in the library, and it seems that for once, you have gotten some work done,” Snape said in a sarcastic voice. The professor strode into the room and went over to Harry’s desk to peer at what he was doing. Harry immediately shut his journal and pulled it towards his chest. Snape merely raised his eyebrow and walked away from the desk, to sit on his own.

 

 

“Professor,” Harry asked capturing the attention of his teacher. “I was wondering, is there a book in this library, on how to charm lock objects?” Harry asked looking around at the vast array of tomes. “Don’t fear Potter, I won’t be peeking in your diary anytime soon. I hardly have the time to waste hours reading about your ‘lady problems’” Snape finished smirking.

 

“Lady pr… no! I’m writing about theories in here, not about my life proble… never mind!, I’ll just ask Trixy.” Harry got up in a huff but was quickly settled as Snape got up from his seat and pointed for Harry to sit back down.

 

“Calm down Potter, I was merely jesting you. Here” Snape picked a small book from the shelf named ‘How to lock everything with a few simple charms’. The potions master handed Harry the book, then retreated to his desk. Harry say at one of the chaise lounges in the library and began to read the book. Harry asked Snape if he could perform the spell to lock his journal. Snape, however, denied Harry the right to do that, as he had never performed the spell before. The potions master was worried that Harry would set his Library and everything in it on fire. Snape decided to do the spell himself and help Harry to lock his journal. The journal from now on would only open at Harry’s touch. The clever bit about this spell is that, if someone tried to coerce Harry into opening the journal, it would deny him access; as it would feel Harry’s fear.

 

 

Handing Harry, the book, Snape sat on the other end of the couch. The professor asked Harry “What theories are you writing about? Mhmm” Harry just wiggled around on the seat feeling uncomfortable. Harry did not want to tell anyone about the letters. He would then have to tell Snape that he stole them from Grimmauld Place, meaning that Snape would be likely to ground him; severely! Harry was about to make up a few theories when Snape suddenly became very stiff.

 

 

The potions master quickly looked at Harry and told him to pack an overnight bag, as he was to stay at Blacks. Whilst Harry went to his bedroom and slowly packed together various items, Harry was confused about why Snape had gone cold suddenly. What did he say to cause Snape to behave like this?

 

 

Severus on the other hand quickly dashed into his room, grabbed various bits of clothing, however they were hidden beneath in large traveling cloak. He briskly walked past Harry’s room when he realised that Harry was leisurely packing his bag. 

“POTTER! Hurry up, you're not still packing your bag, are you?” At hearing the professors booming voice, Harry jumped in fright and began frantically packing his bag. After shoving random bits and bobs into his backpack, Harry ran out of the door and down the stairs, to see Snape waiting for him at the door.

 

 

Using the floo network, Snape throws Harry into the floo network, himself being not that far behind. Once they were both in the lounge room of Grimmauld Place, Snape told Harry that he wanted to have a private chat with Black, whilst he was to go unpack. Not wanting to anger the professor any more than he already was, Harry dashed upstairs, taking two stairs at a time.

 

 

After hearing the commotion Sirius Black stepped into the room, wondering who the hell was trying to break into his house. Upon seeing it was Snape, Sirius was about to start a string of foul words when Snape interrupted him.

 

Speaking slightly out of breath, Severus begun urgently “There is no time to speak now Black, Potter is upstairs, and he is to stay here for the evening. He has not eaten dinner, therefore feed him. I am being summoned; I have to go.” With that final word, Snape dashed outside where he touched his dark mark, and apparated to the imminent death eater meeting.

 

 

Back upstairs Harry was unpacking his overnight bag, whilst trying to understand what happened to the professor. Harry was upset at the fact that the professor had rushed him out of the house and threw him into the fireplace. After unpacking his bag, he heard his godfather yelling for him to come downstairs. Harry walks into the kitchen and sees ’s Kreacher placing 2 bowls of soup on the table.

 

 

“Snape said that you hadn’t eaten, perfect, neither have I. Sorry, I know it’s only onion soup, but at least this is one of Kreacher’s better recipes.” Harry sat down and they both ate the hearty meal in peace and quiet. The silence continued, as Harry did not know what to talk to his godfather about. He thought of asking about the letters his mother had written, however, he thought not, considering he did steal them from this house. Sirius too was quiet throughout the meal, however, was the first person to break the silence.

 

 

“So, how're things with Snape, did you do much today? If I lived there, I would sleep in until 4 pm so I would never have to see that great ugly bat.” Sirius said laughing at his own joke; if you could call it one. Harry not knowing what to say merely laughed quietly. 

Eventually, Harry asked Sirius question about his parents. Sirius spent hours talking about his father, and what mischief they used to get up to when they were younger. When Harry asked about his mother, Sirius would go on to say that she was “ a talented witch, who was exceedingly kind…” nothing that he hadn’t already heard from Remus or professor Dumbledore.

 

 

“Really though, how is living at Snape's like?” ‘Fine’ is what Harry responded. He continued, “The beginning was bad, although I mean that was partly my fault…. But after I apologized for running away, Snape’s treating me more like an adult I suppose. He’s not following me around the whole day, he leaves me alone which is good. We were actually having a genuine conversation when all of a sudden, he got really deadly quiet. He seemed angry, so I guess we aren’t getting along that well, he hates me, that’s for sure.” 

 

 

“Pfft, just like Snape to act like a git! Pretends to treat you like an adult and then brings you over here, instead of trusting you to stay alone in his house; you’re hardly going to set it on fire!” Sirius grumbled the last words.

“What do you mean….?” Harry asked confused, he was interrupted however by Sirius’ babbling.

 

 

“Yeah, you know what I mean. And not that I don’t want you here Harry, because I love spending time with you, and I wish you could stay he….. Anyways. I’m just saying, his house is so warded no one could get in. He should have just gone to his death eater meeting and left you there alone… not dragging you here.” What Sirius had said, sparked a lightbulb in Harry.

Snape had become pale, was agitated and forced him to come to Grimmauld Place because Snape was being called by Voldemort and didn’t want to leave him alone.

 

 

Harry felt bad for mistrusting Snape and thinking that he was mad at him; the professor was only trying to be a responsible adult. Sirius continued to yap on about Snape, however, Harry could listen no more. Because the more he heard, the angrier he became. Sirius was being very immature. Snape was going to a death eater meeting and didn’t want him alone in the house. Harry remembered what Snape had said about how they could only trust the wards to work to some extent. Maybe Snape was worried that someone would try to break through. Looking at the clock Harry realised it was nearing 1 in the morning. Harry stood up abruptly,

“Are you ok?” Sirius asked Harry, looking concerned. Harry merely stated that he was tired and that he was going to bed.

 

 

In bed, Harry reflected on Snape. He would ask Snape, why he couldn’t stay at Snape Manor. Was his theory correct, in that Snape was worried Harry could get kidnapped, or that he merely didn’t trust him, alone in his house?

On another note, Harry couldn’t help to feel slightly concerned for Snape, yet also a little curious. What did Snape have to contribute to the death eater meeting? With that last thought, Harry drifted off to sleep.

 

 


  

At precisely 2:30 am Harry woke up with a start. He was sweaty from head to toe and his eyes were wide and frazzled. He had only been asleep for 1.5 hours when the visions started to come. 

 

*Vision*

Snape was sitting at an old black timber table. Sitting amongst the many death eaters was Bellatrix, and the one person that Harry could not take his eyes from was Draco Malfoy. He could not believe it! That smarmy ferret was now a death eater. When Harry thought of Draco as a death eater, he thought that Draco would be happy and revel in the fact. However, what he saw was a pale boy, who looked skinny and sick; not to mention scared. 

Looking at Voldemort Harry was trying to make out what was being said, however for some reason he could hear nothing. 

 

 

Harry slithered through the room and upon the table. Nagini coiled into a ball and sat facing Voldemort. With this view, Nagini/Harry could see every death eater in the room. Not being able to hear anything, Harry tried to understand what was being said by trying to read people’s facial expressions. Snape’s face seemed stiff, stiffer than usual. He began shifting the slightest bit in his seat. Suddenly everyone stood up and went outside, the snake slithered along Voldemort. They were outside, and Harry could not help but to start to feel anxious. Why were they all going outside? Suddenly, Harry could hear what they were all saying very clearly.

 

 

“I have gathered us outside, as I’m sure Mrs. Malfoy does not want any stains in her clean home.” All the death eaters at hearing the word stain immediately stiffened. Voldemort continued to speak, pretending that he did not see everyone flinch.

 

“It has come to my attention by a young man, a new follower, that someone here is not being faithful. Who here knows where Harry Potter is?” Voldemort asked looking at each and every death eater. Bellatrix was the only person to say that Harry was most likely with his filthy muggle family. At hearing this Voldemort simple waved her off. He was walking around his circle of death eaters when he came to stand in front of Severus Snape.

 

“You, Severus?” Draco looked at his professor in concern and Snape was trying his best to seem unfazed. 

 

“My lord?” Severus asked looking confused. “It is as Bellatrix says, the boy is with his aunt and uncle.” Voldemort continues to look at Severus then walks away. Severus subconsciously relaxes, as Voldemort walked away. “Percy Weasley” There was silence. Voldemort began “Percy Weasley is the young man in which I am talking about; our new follower” There was a lot of shock and ‘ooing’ in the crowd. “And he sneakily found out that you, Severus are keeping the boy who lived in your Manor. Is this correct?”

 

 

There was a deathly silence. All that could be heard was the whooshing of the wind. Everyone looked at each other but did not move a muscle. Bellatrix however, had started to smile, most likely in the hopes that Severus would be killed. Harry now, was shocked, and worried beyond words. Voldemort knew that Snape was lying.

 

 

“If that is correct, you won’t mind us coming to your manor, to see if the boy is there would you?” Voldemort smirked. Severus was glad that Harry was not there. However, he knew that he was dead, the second they looked around the manor, all of Harry’s belongings were in the room upstairs. His Gryffindor quidditch jersey which was laid out on his bedroom chair. Not to mention his school trunk with his initials on it.

 

 


 

Voldemort made Snape take down each and every one of the wards on the house. Once inside each of the death eaters was told to scour the house. Snape was told to stay in the foyer downstairs. Voldemort stood in the foyer merely looking at Severus, trying to probe his mind. Severus was trying valiantly to stay focused and to occlude as much as possible. He knew that sooner or later, one of his ‘colleagues would find Potter’s things, and then he would be screwed.

 

 

Ten agonizing minutes, waiting, finally it was Bellatrix who happily told everyone to come upstairs. Once they were all assembled, they all stood and took in the room. It was definitely Potter’s room. His belongings were hanging here and there, not to mention that his trunk was in the middle of the room for everyone to see. Severus could not think of any excuses that could cover for what was happening. Severus looked up from the trunk and saw that every person in the room was looking at him. Voldemort and Bellatrix were the only people that had triumphant smiles on their faces. “My my, Severus. Still faithful to your filthy redhead mudblud after all this time.”

 

 


 

*Back at Grimmauld Place*

 

Harry woke up seconds before he had heard what Voldemort said to Snape. Harry was drenched in sweat and was shaking from his vision. He removed the blanket and ran to Sirius’ room; where he banged on the door 4 times. Wiping the sweat from his forehead on the back of his hands, Sirius frantically opened the door, he seemed as if he was shocked awake.

 

 

“What, what is it, Harry? Are you alrigh….. Woah you don’t look too good kiddo, you sick?” Sirius asked looking concerned.

 

“No, I… I had a vision. It’s Snape…. He’s in trouble. They know that he has been taking care of me. The death eaters, they know he’s a spy. Please, you have to alert the order, they are going to kill him.” Harry was walking up and down the carpet, shaking his head back and forth, trying to think of a solution.

 

“Kreacher!” Harry bellowed out of nowhere. Sirius had not gone to alert the order, as he was standing still, most likely still taking in what was going on. 

 

“There is no time to alert the order. Send Kreacher to Snape Manor and tell him to apparate Snape out. The wards are down, he can get in. Please, Trixy, Snape’s house elf isn’t there, she’s gone away for the weekend.” Harry was now frantically shaking Sirius’ arm trying to bring him to the present.

 

 

Sirius looked at Harry and took a second to call Kreacher. Sirius was thinking about what would happen if he just didn’t call Kreacher. Would it be so bad if Snape kicked the bucket? It’s not as if he would be missed. Harry sensing what was going to through Sirius’ mind, said in a very slow and deadly voice.

 

“If you don’t do this if you don’t call Kreacher and save Snape. I. Will. Never. Forgive. You.

 

 

At hearing that Sirius called Kreacher and gave the instructions to retrieve Snape and to bring him back here. Harry exhausted by the vision, collapsed to the ground; fainting. Sirius shocked, gathered Harry in his arms and took him to bed; laying him on top of the covers. After making sure Harry was breathing correctly, Sirius rushed to the floo network and called Dumbledore. 

Dumbledore immediately floo’d to Grimmauld Place, where Sirius narrated what had happened to Harry, and that Kreacher had gone to get Snape. They both sat in the kitchen, waiting for Snape to come back.

 

 


 

*Back at Snape Manor*

 

“My my, Severus. Still faithful to your filthy redhead mudblud after all this time. And to think, to be deceived by you, after all this time. Before I kill you, look around boy, these are my true faithful followers. Every one of you may inflict as much pain on Severus, until I find it the right time for him to die. With the first crucio, Severus stood with his eyes closed. By the 6th crucio Severus was on the floor screaming in agonizing pain. Mulciber stopped with the curse when they all heard a pop come from the doorway. It was a house elf, however as soon as the elf appeared, it disappeared. They all looked around frantically wondering where it went. However, what they did not realise was that as they were looking around, Kreacher had apparated himself and Snape both back to Grimmauld Place. 

 

 

All that could be heard from Snape Manor was an uproar. As Severus had escaped, they burnt his home to the ground.

 

 


 

*Grimmauld Place: The next morning*

 

Harry woke up at 8:00 am and looked around his room, the first thing he noticed was that he was not under the covers. It was then that Harry remembered what had happened the night before. He left the room barefoot and rushed downstairs to the kitchen. Once he walked through the room, Dumbledore was sitting at the table with a very tired looking professor. “Professor!” Harry said in concern as he spotted Snape nursing his usual cup of black coffee.

“Ah Harry my boy, do come and eat some breakfast” Professor Dumbledore said in a jovial voice.

 

 

Harry disregarded the headmaster and sat down, looking Snape up and down to see if there were any visual signs of torture. A plate of scrambled eggs, toast and bacon landed in front of Harry. The headmaster decided to leave as soon as Harry’s food was in front of him. He left saying that he had a meeting with a Ministry Official. Harry looked at his food, but all of 5 seconds is what it took for him to push the plate away. What had happened to Snape? he needed to know! But before Harry could get a word in Snape started to speak in a hoarse voice.

 

 

“It seems that I must thank you, Potter, for saving my life. Black told Dumbledore who in turn told me what happened to you last night, and how it was your idea to send Kreacher. If it was up to Black, I would have been dead now for many hours. So, thank you, it was resourceful and an intelligent fast decision that you made.” Harry not believing what he was hearing, decided to ask whether the professor was ok. Snape waving Harry off said.

 

 

“I’m always fine Potter, the house however…. I got a message from Gringotts today that the library books and potions supplies safely made their way to my vault. You see, in the event of a fire, those objects alone will trigger and get sent to my vault. However, everything else will have been burnt to a crisp. I’m sorry Potter, but all of your belongings are gone, your bird, you sent her to deliver letters, didn’t you?”

“Yes sir” Harry said sounding slightly stunned. He was shocked beyond words; all of his belongings were burnt. Snape stood up and told Harry that he was going to lay down due to a migraine. His first trunk, his Firebolt, his journal; was in the house.

 

Harry forgot his meal and trudged upstairs. His belongings were only those that were on his back or in his rucksack. He looked at the desk and looked at all of his belongings. An empty envelope, 1 piece of parchment, a quill, socks and some toiletries. He then looked on his nightstand which contained quidditch through the ages; his father’s book that he had stolen. 

 

 

Nothing mattered at this moment because Harry for the first time this morning felt relief. Harry picked up the book and flipped to page 26 ‘Our Chasers Aren’t Cheating!’. Sinking into the bed, Harry sighed in content and looked down at the pages. Inside was not 1, nor 2 but 3 letters. Nothing else mattered besides determining the content of each letter. 

 

 

There was a knock at the door, Snape walked in looking bleary-eyed. Harry immediately shut the book and stood up from the bed. “Potter, Dumbledore has got us a portkey, we must leave now; gather your belongings.” Within 2 minutes Harry had gathered all his things and was now bidding a grumpy Sirius goodbye.

“Looks like I won’t be seeing you for a while kiddo, take care of yourself” Sirius hugged Harry goodbye, and left the room immediately.

 

 

Harry and Snape took hold of a yellow frisbee and were instantly transported by the portkey. As they landed, Harry took in the environment. They were definitely still in England; however the whereabouts Harry did not know. The streets were paved with cobblestones, and he could hear water coming most likely from a creek. Harry was looking at the style of each house when Severus grabbed Harry’s arm and pulled him along with him up the street.

 

 

“The only way to get to this house is through the front door. Dumbledore, when he went to the Ministry, got someone to secretly set up the network” Snape said after applying a silencing, and see me not charm around them. Severus stopped in front of an empty plot of land, Harry looked at his teacher then at the land. Snape was muttering something to himself, that Harry could not understand until suddenly, a house appeared. As soon as Snape dragged them both onto the plot of land, Harry felt the shields of the property sizzle.

 

 

“Luckily, no death eaters know about this house” Snape grumbled under his breath.

 

“Sir, where are we?” Harry asked whilst looking at the dust-covered home.

 

“Welcome to Spinners End” Snape revealed to Harry.

 

The End.
End Notes:
Next Chapter 6: Welcome home

Both Snape and Harry are settling into Spinners End. Having not lived in this house since childhood, it needs serious work. Snape and Harry stock up on polyjuice potion, and go on a massive shopping spree? Plus, letter 2 mysteriously disappears. Did Harry lose it, or was it sent to its true recipient?
Chapter 6: Welcome Home by Ghostwolfsbane
Author's Notes:
Hi guys, sorry for the late update. Had a little bit of writers block, anyways I have a clear timeline now, so I should update more regularly. Anyways, I know this is a short chapter, I'm already half way through chapter 7 and should be finished in a day or two.

Happy readings!

Chapter 6: Welcome Home

 

“Welcome to Spinner's End” Snape said.

 

Harry looked around the property and at the house which was now visible. The plot of land sizzled as the fidelius charm worked to conceal them and their surroundings. At the front of the house, the grass was overgrown and wild looking. There was a simple and short concrete path that led to the front door of the house. The house looked decrepit and dreary, the bricks of the house were coloured in a dark blue/black; and showed a few signs of cracking.

 

 

Harry looked up and down the two-story house, looking from window to window. Snape at this point had unlocked the door and could be heard trudging about the house. Harry meekly walked up the footpath and climbed 4 steps to the house. When he walked inside he was slightly taken aback. He had spent the last few days at Snape Manor, a grand and proud looking home. This house however whilst not small, was very …. muggle. Harry was currently standing in the hallway looking to his left (the kitchen) then to the right (the living room). Straight ahead was a narrow staircase leading to the second floor. 

 

 

Walking into the kitchen Harry saw that it, like the rest of the home was covered in dust. Snape quickly trudged into the kitchen pushing Harry aside. He swished his wand, and the dust vanished. Harry heard Snape walk up the stairs and mumble the same spell over, and over again, trying to dispel all of the dust and mould from the house. The kitchen was not as large as Grimmauld Place, yet not too small. To the far right of the room was a stove, oven, and many cupboards. Believe it or not, the kitchen also contained a refrigerator. Harry moved closer to the fridge and opened it, preparing to be assaulted by a foul stench. However, it never came, the fridge was completely empty. Looking at the kitchen countertops, there was a kettle and a toaster. Harry at this point was slightly confused. Why would Snape use a toaster, when he could use magic; how did Snape even know what a toaster was?

 

On the other side of the room, there was a bay window and a round table for four. It was very old and contained many knicks in the wood. Harry looked to his right and saw that there was another door; which led to the back garden. He thought about going outside but thought otherwise; lest Snape go spare and ground him. So he looked through the glass window that the door contained and saw that outside lied a narrow backyard. There were many pot plants and various weeds and wildflowers growing. As it started to rain, Harry decided to go into the living room and see what the room was like. Walking into this room, Harry could feel the professors personality radiating from the walls. The room contained a black leather couch, along with a matching black leather high back chair. Every wall of the room was covered in shelves that contained many books; each stored both vertically and horizontally. Harry sat on the couch and continued to silently inspect the room. It seemed a depressing room, not filled with any personal belongings. There was a fireplace, which looked as if it had not been used for over 10 years. In the corner of the shelf furthest away, sat an old television. Harry's eyes goggled at the fact that Snape would own a TV. Harry began to wonder, was this a safe place? Had Snape added muggle items to fool the death eaters into thinking that this house belonged to a normal family? No, then there would have been fake family photographs or anything to show that more than one person lived here. Walking to the bookshelf, Harry read out the names of a few of the books. The shelf was mainly all wizarding books, with a few muggle books mixed in. Was it true? Could Snape be a half-blood?

 

 

At that moment the potions master descended from the stairs and walked into the living room, looming over Harry. Snape stood glaring at Harry, then around the room. Trying to figure out if Harry had touched or moved anything from its original place.

 

 

“The house is now dust and vermin free” Harry shivered at the thought of there rats, mice or cockroaches crawling around the house.

 

 

Snape squeezed the bridge of his nose in annoyance and told Harry to sit down on the couch, so they could have a serious talk.

 

 

"As I am sure you are aware, this is my home. I have not been here since I left Hogwarts and inherited what was once known then as Prince Manor; my mothers family's home. This excuse for a house, however, will have to do for now. Since it has been over 15 years since I laid a foot in here, it definitely needs a bit of renovating. For now, however, we need to think. We have lost all of our belongings, and there is no food. Luckily, I have with me a bottle of polyjuice potion, unluckily, I have no other human hair. 

 

Trixy will not be able to come and visit us here, as I have not allowed her entrance into the house wards. For the duration of our stay here you will not call her, she will be staying at Hogwarts and that is final. We will have to cook and clean for ourselves; is that understood?" Harry merely nodded his head, feeling that this holiday was going to be very long indeed. Harry's mind started to drift to Hogwarts when Snape started to speak again.

 

 

"For today, I think I had better charm ourselves to look like different people. We should at some point venture out, and purchase some groceries and other basic necessities. However, first I will show you your room, and the facilities." Snape stood up and pointed for Harry to follow him up the stairs. As they ascended, the staircase started to creak with each step they took. Finally, at the top of the stairs, the first door to the right was the bathroom. It was simple and contained a toilet, sink, and a bathtub with a showerhead connected to the wall. The tiles were very bright and old-fashioned; Harry smirked inwardly, looking at Snape as he winced and sneered at the bathroom decor. The first door on the left, Snape did not open, however, he pointed out that it was the spare room which would soon become an office. The second and last door to the left Snape motioned for Harry to follow him into. The room was not that much larger than his bedroom at the Dursleys. It contained a king single bed, desk, cupboard, chest of draws and a lone chair in the corner of the room. It was very plain, with no real character to it. The one good thing about the room was that there was a nice large window which overlooked the backyard, and parts of the street.

 

 

"This, as I'm sure you have already guessed is your room. Get settled in, and relax for a little while. I need to go outside and turn on the electricity, water, and gas. Once the plumbing and everything else is working, we can look to going to get some groceries." Snape took one last look at the room, then glided back downstairs.

 


Harry sighed and sat on the bed, bouncing a little bit to see how comfortable the bed would be. Inspecting the bed, Harry saw that it was dust free, looking at the shabby blanket, Harry was too tired from the past events to care. He decided to lie down on the bed and test how comfortable it was. The bed was definitely worn, however it was not uncomfortable. Springing up from the bed, Harry realised that this could have been Snape's bed as a kid. Looking around the room, Harry searched to find anything that could show that this was Snape's childhood room. There were no signs that this room belonged to Snape, the only smaller objects in the room were the few books that laid on the shelf. Harry strode over and picked up the small 3 books. The three of them appeared to be very worn, which showed that they had been read multiple times.

 

 

Sitting back on the bed, Harry read the cover of the first book. 

 

Book 1: Standard book of spells (pre-Hogwarts edition). This book was by far the oldest looking book out of the three. Reading the publishers notes, it said that this book was the last edition to be made. Feeling slightly impressed, Harry laid the book down on the bed and picked up book number 2.

 

 

Book 2: Dracula. At this Harry snorted in amusement. Only Snape would be reading this as a young child… Hold on, this book was a muggle book. This definitely proved that Snape was most likely in fact a half-blood. His father probably was a muggle-born or a muggle. From the look of the house, however, he thought of the latter. Put the book down and smirking one last time, Harry picked up the final and last book.

 

 

Book 3: Treasure Island. Having never heard of this book before, Harry quickly read the anecdote. Nodding his head in approval, Harry found the book to be quite intriguing. As Snape was taking so long, Harry sat against the headboard of the bed and opened the book. Opening to the first page Harry read the cover "Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson… published 1882!" Wow, Harry thought, this is an old book. The next page normally consisted of 2 blank pages before the novel began. Harry almost flipped by when he saw that in neat yet childish writing there was a message written in black ink.

 

 

‘Dear Severus, Happy 11th Birthday! I know this book is a little advanced, however knowing how smart you are, you probably will finish reading it in 2 days. I know that this is a ‘muggle' book; see I'm starting to use the terminology! But my dad said that you would really enjoy it, and I think you will really enjoy it. Thanks for being such a good friend, I can’t wait to start our adventures at Hogwarts together!’ At this Harry’s face and ears perked up. Reading the last sentence, Harry’s face froze.

 

 

‘... as always, your best friend Lily Evens.’ Harry had gone from his face feeling frozen, to now his body turning numb. Lily? No, no, it couldn’t be mum. Snape called her a mudblood, and she was in Gryffindor and he was in Slytherin; no just no. Harry was too shocked to even move, he lost all sense of feeling, which is why he didn’t realise that Snape in that second had walked into the room. 

 

 

Severus had finished checking all the taps to see that the water was working, as well as checking if the gas and electricity was working. Deciding to tell Potter that he ought to go to the store by himself (just to be safe), Snape then walked up to Harry’s room. When Snape walked into the room he saw Potter on the bed with 2 books at his feet. The book that Harry was currently holding made Severus freeze. How could he not remember the present that his first true friend had given him; Severus thought.  

 

 

“I… I’m sorry, I was just bored and wanted to read..” Harry said looking slightly frazzled.

 

 

“You wanted to read? Mhmm, never thought I would hear you say that” the potions master said in a monotone voice, his eyes clouded and in a daze. Snape sighed and walked over to the other side of the room. Looking distantly out of the window. After a minute of silence, he picked up the empty chair in the corner and brought it over near the bed; where Harry was frozen. Snape sat down and was staring at the book in Harry’s tight grasp.  

 

 

Harry looked between Snape and the book he was holding, and spoke in a soft unsure voice “So.. you knew my mum?”

 

 

At hearing this Snape’s eyes snapped to Harry’s almond green ones. Eyes twitching Severus did not dare to speak, lest he say something which would only make the situation worst. At hearing what Harry had said, the professor did not reply until Harry asked him a second time.

 

 

“Did you hear me…….. It’s signed Lily Evans” Severus only heard snippets of the conversation. Snape quickly stood up and paced about the room. Stopping and pinching the bridge of his nose, Snape began to speak.

 

 

“What I say, will only stay in this room, is that understood?” Harry quickly nodded his head in approval, wanting the professor to shed light on this confusing situation.

 

 

“You’re mother Lily, did give me that book. She lived 10 minutes away from this very house. We met when we were young children, it was I who told her that she was a witch.” Snape paused, not wanting to say anymore and reveal his true feelings for Lily. Looking at Harry, the professor peered into his green eyes and said.

 

 

"The only reason why you are here is because I owe your mother. I honestly don't want you here, as I'm sure neither do you. So be a good boy and you leave me alone, and I will leave you alone" With that Snape fled from Harry's room, not wanting Harry to see the tears that were now sliding down his face.

 

 

Harry was shocked beyond words and did not know what to think. Firstly he was trying to comprehend what the professor had said. The creepy dungeon bat of Slytherin and his mother were friends? Maybe Snape hates me because mum never forgave him for calling her the ‘M*******' word. Harry started to think about how he and Ron had fought during his fourth year and the goblet of fire tournament. They obviously pieced everything back together and got over their troubles; they were best mates after all. 

 

 

His mother and Snape had obviously been friends, had Snape even apologised to his long time friend? Maybe Snape was so deep with the death eaters that he merely forgot about his mother…. Harry kept thinking of different scenarios, on how Snape and his mother had stopped being friends. The only person who would know would be Snape. Getting rather heated up, Harry got up from the bed, and wanted to storm downstairs and ask Snape how…. Why… He just had so many damn questions. 

 

 

Harry took a deep breath wanting to ask the professor his questions in a non-confrontational way. Then he thought of the 3 letters, maybe if the professor knew his mother, he could maybe understand why his mother had sent him 3 letters. *Slam* Harry heard the front door to the house open. Snape had obviously left, Harry did not want to be left alone at this moment, and wanted answers ASAP!.

 

 

Harry ran out of the door, hoping that he could catch up to the professor. Harry leaped down the stairs, however his too large sneakers got caught behind his other foot. Harry tried to grab the railing, however, it was too let. Harry fell and plummeted down the stairs, and fell head first into the hardwood floor. Knocked unconscious, Harry started to bleed from the impact of the fall. Snape, however, was halfway down the street and knew of nothing that happened at his home. 

 

 

Would the professor make it back in time, or would Harry's life slowly start to bleed out onto the floor?

 

 

…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...…...……

Next on What the Hell is Happening

Chapter 7: Memory Loss

 

The End.
End Notes:
Hope you guys enjoyed! Hope you all have a lovely easter.... Eat many chocolates!!!
Chapter 7: Memories lost, and memories found by Ghostwolfsbane
Author's Notes:
Hey guys, sorry for not updating sooner. I had some trouble with google docs, and I couldn't open my files. But without cra**** on too much longer, here it is.

Happy readings!

Chapter 7: Memories lost, and memories found

 

Walking down the street all Snape could think about was Lily. Having practically fled the house after having a conversation (if you could call it that) with Potter, Snape was finding it difficult to think. When they were still friends, Lily and he would walk around these very streets. Go to the grocery store and buy an ice block on very hot days. Shaking his head Snape power walked to the store, trying to shake away these old memories which hurt him ever so.

Grabbing a shopping trolley, Snape walked down all the isles picking up a bit of everything. Snape tried to keep calm and distract his mind, so he made a mental shopping list whilst pushing the trolley. 

List:

-       Bread, Pasta

-       Butter, honey, jams

-       Vegetables (Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Carrots, Onion, Garlic, Capsicum, Celery)

-       Fruit (Apples, Bananas, Pears, Grapes, Stone fruit)

-       Tea, Coffee

-       Napkins, Toilet paper, Tissues, laundry detergent

-       Canned peas, corn, chickpeas

-       ETC….

As Snape frantically moved about the store he was stopped an old man who worked there. He seemed awfully chirpy for his liking. Severus sneered at the man as he wheeled past, only to be stopped by said man.

“I know you!” The man said. He stared at Snape confusedly, eyeing him up and down. He then smiled and patted him on the shoulder.

“I remember you kid, my god, I haven’t seen you in what has it been 20 years?” Snape did not believe that anyone in this small town would recognise, or even remember him.

“Hey Pat, look who it is, Snape’s kid!” At hearing this Severus did a 360 and turned towards a window. In his reflection, he was his ordinary self. Groaning Snape realised that in his hast, he left the house without applying a glamour spell.

If any death eaters were here, he would be screwed. Turning to the man who was eagerly pointing at ‘Pat’ to come over and have a look, Snape turned to the man and said: “I think you have me confused with someone els…” He was interrupted by Pat who came hurrying over.

“How could we make a mistake, you look just like your ma, and pa.” Both workers were asking him a million questions. Snape having had enough, replied to both of them “I do not understand who you are talking about. My name is definitely not Snape. I’m Peter Evens and am only passing by, I actually live in Manchester… Sorry, awfully busy, Have a nice day” 

“Well I’ll be, I could have sworn that was Snape’s boy… Ah well, best get to work Pats.”

Snape was at the check-out register giving the cash lady 48 pounds and 20 pence for the shopping that he had bought. Carrying all 10 bags of heavy shopping, Snape added to his mental checklist that they would need to venture into Diagon Alley and go to Gringotts to buy new clothes; not to mention bed sheets, and bath towels.

Quickly dashing home, Snape kept his head down hoping that no death eaters would be searching for him in this area. Snape did not want to return home, how would Potter be? He did not want to go back and have to explain himself again. He never wanted to describe his feelings for Lily to anyone. However, when he looked into her sons identical green eyes, he couldn’t help himself.

Once entering the confines of the property, Snape felt at ease. Opening the door, he made a dash to the kitchen and put the heavy shopping bags onto the dining table. Snape took his time, and slowly put away all of the food, not wanting to talk to Potter so soon.

As he put away the last of the food, Severus got hit with a very strong scent. He walked into the hallway and breathed in the air, he knew that scent all too well; blood.

He followed his nose, turning to where the scent was; the staircase. At the bottom of the stairs in a jumbled heap of limbs was Harry. Sprawled out onto the floor, with a heap of blood pooling around his head; the potion master’s eyes went wide with fear. After getting over the initial shock he sprang into action. Checking for a pulse, the slow thrum of Potter’s heart could be felt. Flicking his wand, Snape cleared the blood and lifted the boy to the old couch. 

What have I done? The potions professor asked looking up at the ceiling. Trying to shake Potter awake, the professor yelled ‘Potter, Potter…. Harry wake up’. Ten seconds later Snape heard a groan coming from Harry.

 

“Aww, my head!” Harry clutched the back of his head with his hands. He was helped up into a sitting position by Snape, who was kneeling on the floor next to Harry.

“Potter take it easy, you fell and hit your head” Snape said slowly trying to tell Harry, who was closing his eyes, unconsciousness trying to claim him. Shaking the boy Harry jolted up, he started to argue “I want to get up”. Snape replied, “You can get up when you are feeling better”.

‘If I hadn’t rushed off maybe the boy would not have been hurt’ the potions master thought. Snape never wanted Harry to get hurt, he was just so emotional, he couldn’t help snapping at the boy.

 “Look Potter, I’m sorry about what happened before. I should have never spoken to you like that.” Sighing the professor sat next to Harry on the couch. The young boy turned his body and furrowed his brow in confusion.

“Uhm, professor, what are you talking about?” Snape quickly looked at the boy and explained again what had happened in the afternoon.

“I don’t really know what you are talking about sir…. Uh maybe I have concussion?”

“Yes, it seems that you do.” The potions master could not help but be relieved. Obviously he should feel horrible that the boy had hit his head, which lead to his concussion. But not that the boy didn’t remember their conversation; he wouldn’t need to explain himself in regards to Lily. He would not need to talk Potter about how he called his mother that horrible word, which led to them breaking off their friendship. Sighing Snape went and retrieved a pouch which he always kept in his pockets, and took out a blood replenishing and a pain away potion.

 The boy from taken the potions had fallen asleep on the couch.

He took the boy into his home, as Black’s ‘home’ was not safe. Since the boy had come to live with him, death eaters had stormed and burnt down Snape manor. Now the boy had fallen down the stairs; he could have bled to death Snape thought. The mass of the situation weighed down upon the head of the Slytherin’s shoulders. Sitting down on his armchair, he sunk in upon himself and laid his hands over his eyes. What would Lily say if she were alive? Most likely, she would kill me. One bad decision after the other, Snape thought.

Deciding that there was no point sulking, Snape went to the kitchen and started to make dinner. When the teacher got angsty he would brew potions, however, having no ingredients; he decided to make soup. Two hours later the professor sat at the kitchen table eating a bowl of hot soup. Hearing shuffling from the hallway, the professor put his spoon down. Maybe Potter had gotten his memory back? He thought, cringing. 

As the boy walked into the dining room, Snape saw that his eyes were clouded from sleep. Getting up, the potions master poured Potter some soup and motioned for the boy to sit at the table. Eating in silence Snape’s shoulders were tensed, constantly wondering whether Harry would remember the book. After Harry did not finish his dinner, the professor recommended that he go have a shower. Using this as a way to distract the boy, the professor stealthily went into his old bedroom and retrieved the book Lily had given him.

Walking around his old room sighing, he quickly looked throughout draws, and his old secret hiding places under the floorboards; in order to make sure that nothing of Lily’s was left behind. Hearing the water shut off Snape jolted up from under the bed and knocked Potters backpack onto the floor, his belongings sprawled out.

Looking from Potter’s belongings on the floor to the bathroom door which would soon be opening, the potions master dove to the floor gathering then shoving Potter’s belongings back into the backpack. 

The professor had one more of the boys belongings in his hand when the bathroom door creaked open. Not knowing what to do, the potions master held Potter’s belonging in his hands. As the boy walked into the hallway and into his new room. The potions master pretended that he was looking out of the window. Slowly turning around the professor bid Harry goodnight and a good sleep. 

Snape went into his own room placing Potters book onto his bedside table. He would have to place the book back into the backpack in the morning. Whilst looking at the book, Snape heard a knock on the door which shocked him into dropping the book onto the floor.

Opening the door, Harry stood in front Snape holding up a wand; Snape’s wand which was left in Harry’s room. The professor snatched the wand out of the boys hands and bid him goodnight again. Snape sat on his bed looking at his wand, he would really need to be more careful from now on. Looking at the ground where the book fell, he finally saw the contents which spilled out.

Picking up the book he realised that it was the journal that Potter was writing in back at the manor. Picking up what fell from the journal he realised they were letters. 

Laying the plain letters aside, Snape decided to invade the boys privacy and read what was in the journal. After finishing the short 10 pages, Snape realised that Potter had different theories on the contents in the letters. 

Shocked, Snape realised that one of the letters was written from Lily to her son. The boy had yet to figure out who the other letters were for. Lifting up the letters he cast spell after spell on each of them. Finally after casting his own spell, only 1 of the letters glowed and lit up. 

Written on the letter was “To Severus, Love Lily”. Snape stared at the letter for 10 minutes not moving. Why would Lily be writing to him? Severus wondered. Trying to open the letter, he realised that he could not; it was sealed with magic. Even his spells would not let him open the letter. Severus sat in bed until 3 in the morning trying to think of any charms that Lily had made. Lily was always very proficient in charms, and would always create her own spells. The potions master had the spell on the tip of his tongue, yet he could not seem to perform the spell; he did not know why.

 


Harry, in his room was quietly trying to fall asleep. He did not really understand what happened today, his mind still foggy. He tried to remember what happened over the summer but could not. He vaguely remembered being at Sirius’, then only a smidge at Snape manor. He honestly was confused; he had lost most of his memories from the Summer. Looking out of the window, he snuggled up under the sheets and drifted off into sleep. Not knowing that the potions master had read his journal, and solved another one of the letter’s mysteries. At this point in time, Harry did not even remember anything about writing said journal or the letters; he was completely oblivious.

 


At precisely 4:30am Severus solved his dilemma, and cast the spell over his letter. Using his fingers he ripped open Lily’s letter to him. ‘Even the letter smells like her’ Snape thought, the smell of daisy’s wafting into the room. With shaking hands Snape held the letter, sat back against his headboard; and started to read.

 


Letter

Dear Severus,

If you are reading this then I am most likely dead, and not able to say any of this in person. I firstly want to start by saying that I love you, and always will. This letter will confuse you if you do not swallow the golden leaf attached to this letter. The leaf will bring back all of the memories that I obliviated from you. Now I know you will be confused and more likely angry…. Thank god I’m not there right… ha-ha.

Sorry, that was not funny; you know, just trying to lighten the mood.

Alright, please swallow the leaf and read on from here….

Severus inspected the leaf, twisting it between his fingers. The golden leaf glimmered as he twisted it, on closer observation Snape realised that the glimmer were his memories; shown on the leaf like in a pensieve. As he put the leaf in his mouth, he felt a sudden blow to the head.

Being knocked unconscious, all these memories that he didn’t even know he had came flooding back. Little snippets, red hair, a church, a baby crawling; among other memories. Once the memory assault was over, Snape hung off the bed panting. Looking up at the ceiling, Severus tried to bring forth the memories which had just been returned to him.

As there were too many new memories loaded into his brain, Severus decided to read the letter; hoping it would shed some light on the situation. Slowly picking up the letter, Severus closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Picking up from where he left off, Snape began to read the letter.


 Alright, please swallow the leaf and read on from here… 

I have spelled all the memories, once they have been returned to you, and only once you have read this letter fully, will they truly sink in.

As I write this letter, Harry is sitting on the floor trying to walk; he is merely crawling at this point. As you read this your memories will instantly come back. I think I will start from the beginning.

After our argument in our OWL year, I refused to speak to you at Hogwarts. James and I, it is true, we started to date in our final year of Hogwarts. However, what everyone did not know is that we broke up 1 week after graduation. Not wanting to spoil the celebrations, we decided to not say anything. It was I who broke up with James, and not a day goes by that I regret it. In the end, he became one of my best friends, and has used his life to help our family.

Once we graduated, I began working for the Order of the Phoenix. One day, I was in Diagon Alley when I quite literally bumped into you. 


 

*Memory coming back*

I was walking down Diagon Alley when all of a sudden someone bumped into me, throwing us both onto the ground. Looking up, all I saw was green. Lily, not having seen each other since Hogwarts all we did was stare at each other.

“Sev” Lily said in a surprised tone. Looking at me, she shook her head, clearing her mind and stood up from the ground.

I picked myself up and looked at Lily, she was exactly as I remembered her, beautiful long red hair and a face full of freckles.

“So, I’ve heard that you have started your potions mastery” Lily said holding her handbag, looking uneasy. 

“Yes, I have” I said in a very dazed voice. 

As the memory went on, I walked with Lily into the Leaky Cauldron, where we sat in the back; in order to have more privacy. 

“I really shouldn’t be here Lily” I said with an unsure voice.

“Pff, yeah… don’t want to be seen with a mudblood…. I knew this was a bad idea. Bye Severus have a good life”. Lily quickly stood up getting her bag, and ready to leave. I shot up from my seat and grabbed Lily’s arm. Persuading her not to leave. 

 


Back to letter

The Leaky Cauldron was the place where we made up. You persuaded me to stay, and so I did. From there on we kept in touch, little letters here and there. James at this time was part of the Order as well, it was at these meetings that he tried to persuade me to come back to him. I flat out said no, however, he was so persistent that I did agree to one small date at a little Italian restaurant.

Throughout the date, I couldn’t help but think of you. What you were doing, whether you were safe, so to say it quite plainly; that date went to shit! James wasn’t very pleased, however, I think it finally sank into his head that we were not meant for each other.

After that date, I went over to your apartment in London; that you were renting at the time. You had told me explicitly not to go there, lest someone see me, to be honest, I didn’t really care at that point. So, I went over and you were your usual self. “What are you doing here? What happens if ‘they’ come?!”

 


*Memory coming back*

Lily rolled her eyes and barged through the door. She walked over to the couch and flopped down with a sigh. Not daring to sit next to her, I sat opposite her on an armchair.

“I went on a date with James” Lily said as a matter of fact. This to me, however, was a punch in the stomach. Looking at my younger face, you could see the anguish, then me trying to cover it up.

“Alright? what do you want me to tell you?” I asked in a somewhat bitter tone.

Lily looked at me, then turned her gaze to the rest of the room. She stood up then began to pace the room. She began to talk frantically, about the date, and James.

“……. It was horrible, he really hasn’t grown up all that much. Anyways, I couldn’t really stop thinking about you the whole time……..” Lily still mumbling on, Severus tuned it all out. Had Lily been thinking about him the whole time?

Severus was beyond shocked, when his younger self-stood up, stopped Lily from pacing and kissed her. Not a peck, but a real kiss, the ones that make you swoon. Without being able to secondly think about what was happening the memories seemed to move at lightning speed.


Next Memory

Lily and I were walking hand in hand around a park in the muggle world. Young adults that looked, at that moment like they had no care in the world.

The memory changed to us back at my apartment. Lily and I were glistening in sweat, and cuddling on my bed; our legs entwined. Me using Lily’s hair to tickle her during her sleep. As she woke up I could hear her laughter fill the air.

The memory changed to us at a church on an Italian Island, newly married and skipping (yes actually skipping!) down the road to the beach.

Memories pushed and pulled in Severus’ head: home, a hospital, a baby, Lily dead on the floor.


Memories have been returned: Back in Spinners End.

Snape was sweating professedly as he clung to the bed sheets with one hand and the letter in the other.

‘No!’ Severus thought, shaking his head back and forth. His life was a lie, how he had treated Potter, well not really Potter. Groaning, Severus hit his head on the wall behind him continuously. Tears flowing freely, Severus read the last part of Lily’s letter and mourned the life that he forgot, and years that he would never be able to get back with his son.


Reading the last parts of the letter:

 

The moment Harry was born you were instantly in love. You held him as he slept, played with him. However as the war wore on, and the prophecy was discovered, you made me do this to you Sev. Remove all parts of me and Harry from your head. You went to James, and asked him to guard Harry and I with his life, which I am sure he has done.

When you left our lives, Harry cried incessantly, which in turn made me cry. Even though as I’ve said, James was childish, I believe he grew 10 years older. I was so depressed, after having obliviated you, James pretty much took care of Harry for a month. Feeding him, changing him, bathing him, and playing with him to get his mind off of the fact that his father was gone. 

Please know that I never stopped loving you, and that James was only a friend; I know your jealous side Sev! I can’t say how sorry I am, now that your memories are back you are going to have to make up for lost time. If you are still working at Hogwarts then you should go talk to Dumbledore, I have written him a letter explaining everything, as have I to Harry.

In order to protect Harry, I changed his appearance to resemble James and I, although now as his 16th birthday is close, his appearance will start to change. I do not believe that the change will be that dramatic, having seen how he truly looks without all the glamours.

This letter has been charmed in a way, where you will only receive it at the appropriate time. Only when you are ready, will this letter be sent. So I hope that it will be sent sooner than later!

Just know, that I love you both with all my heart even in death. Please know that I never regretted any part of my life. You were my husband, best friend and above all the father of my child. Love your son Severus, and your life will be full, and happy.

Till we meet again,

With all my love and heart,

 

Lily.

The End.
End Notes:
Ooh, left it on a bit of a cliffhanger. What will happen when Harry wakes up and Severus is forced to go downstairs?

Will Snape tell his son everything, or leave him in the lurch, as did Lily for all those years?!
Chapter 8: Family Bonding Time by Ghostwolfsbane
Author's Notes:
Hey Guys, sorry for the slow update. Just finished a hectic year at University. Considering it's the holidays, i'm making this my mission to finish this story.

 

After re-reading Lily’s letter, Severus sat on the bed letting what he read sink in. With his memories back, he couldn’t help but feel betrayed. After all this time, his memories were only being returned now! Trying to calm his breathing, Severus stood up and began pacing. Biting his lower lip and pressing the palms of his hands into his eyes, his thoughts were on Potter, Harry, his son. What had he done to him all of these years! Finding out what the muggles did to Pot… Harry shocked him, however now, knowing that he himself had treated Harry the way he had; he was ashamed.

 

Knocking could be heard from another room in the house. Wiping his sweaty palms on his pants, the professor opened his bedroom door and peered into the hallway. Harry was slowly making his way downstairs. Quickly shutting the door, lest Harry see him, he sat back down on his bed. Checking the time, he realised that it was only 5:00am. What was he going to say to the boy that he had terrorized all these years? The boy hated him, and with the news of him being the boy’s father, this would crush the perfect image he had of James Potter. Deciding that he did not want to face the boy quite yet, he laid down on the bed gazing up at the ceiling. Having his memories back all at once drained his magical core. After 10 minutes of ‘counting sheep’ so to speak, the professor was now sound asleep. All that could be heard was Harry walking around in the kitchen preparing breakfast. 

 

As Harry sat on the kitchen table he rubbed at his eyes, trying to rid the sleepy feeling he had. He could vaguely remember what happened yesterday, it was all a bit of a blur. Looking at the clock he realised that it was only 5:00am. Deciding that he was actually quite hungry, Harry took out a pan and decided to make some scrambled eggs on toast. Ten minutes later Harry sat at the table slowly eating his food, whilst peering outside observing the weather. Even though it was summer, it looked quite chilly, the wind was blowing, and leaves were being thrown back and forth. After sitting in the kitchen for an hour, Harry turned to face the ceiling; hearing a creek from upstairs.

 

 

Severus Snape was tossing and turning in his bed. Only to be jolted awake as he heard a frying pan clank onto the kitchen floor. Listening intently to the noises, he realized that it must have been Potter.. the boy… his son. His ‘son’, how foreign the words sounded in his mind. Falling back onto his pillows and sighing, the potions master was at a loss once again. What should he do? How was he going to tell the child that he was his father? After pondering for what felt like 20 minutes, Severus decided to get up and have a shower.

After contemplating yesterday’s events in his mind, he got out of the shower, dressed in the same clothes which he charmed clean, and walked to stand at the top of the stairs. Taking a deep breath Severus found his courage and walked down the stairs. 

 

Striding into the kitchen the first thing he realized was the frying pans on the cook top. The boy had obviously cooked himself something to eat. The next thing he realized was the fact that the boy was openly staring at him. Swallowing, Snape walked over to the kettle and started to boil water to make some tea. Even when his back was to Potter, he could feel the teenager’s eyes on him. After fixing himself his tea, he turned to face the boy.

 

“Morning Harry” Snape said, shocking himself; only just realised what he said. He had meant to say ‘Potter’, however, somehow, he said the boys first name. Both father and sons face took on a similar appearance of disbelief. Shaking his head like trying to remove a bad memory, Harry responded.

 

“Good morning Professor. Umm (the boy hesitated) I’ve made some Bacon and Eggs, there’s some leftover if you want”. Harry spoke this in a soft tone and looked to the table when he saw that Professor Snape’s eyes continued to stare at him. 

 

Shaking himself out of his stupor, Snape was astonished that the boy had thought to make extra breakfast for him. Having done nothing but berate the boy during his years at Hogwarts. The child still showed him kindness. Only just realizing how like Lily he was. Still showing kindness to someone when they had done nothing to deserve it. Seeing as the boy was obviously frightened of Severus’ response, he was probably waiting for the onslaught of insults from his Professor, just like in every potions class.

 

Instead of making a snarky remark, Severus went to the cupboard and grabbed himself a plate; scooping some eggs and bacon onto it. After applying a heating charm, he took the plate back to the table and sat down. Looking at the boys hunched shoulders he finally spoke to the boy.

 

“Thank you, this smells very good” Immediately the boy looked up and smiled hesitantly.

 

Snape blinked at the boy, realizing that Harry’s smile reflected not Lily’s bright smile, but his own. It was a cautious smile, one that the young Severus would often wear. Damn those muggles, having made the boy feel cautious and worried that he would be immediately punished. The potion professors heart sunk however, when he realized he was more or less truly at fault for the boys reserved behavior.

As Harry smiled Severus saw the boy scratching the back of his head. All of a sudden Snape’s memories came flying forward, yesterday’s events and Harry’s fall in particular. Dropping his cutlery with a clank he spoke. 

 

“How is your head? I apologise for forgetting” Drifting off Severus started to think about what a bad parent he would make for the boy. His son had been hurt, but by him being so worried about the Lily’s letter, he got side tracked and had neglected to see if the boy had any residual pain from the fall. He only snapped out of his thoughts when he realized Potter was speaking to him.

 

“I’m ok, my head is just a little saw, it’s slightly itchy” He said, continuing to scratch the back of his head.

Snape stood up abruptly and strode to the basement, aka, his potions lab.

 

 

Snape was acting very peculiar Harry thought. He seemed distant but had been nothing but decent to him. Apologising for forgetting about his fall, then even thanking him for the food. Watching Snape walk back into the kitchen, the potions master sat down and placed two vials on the table in front of Harry.

 

“The first vial is for the tenderness and pain in your head, the second is to prevent infection. Just a top up from the potions you digested yesterday. Again, I apologise, I should have given you todays doses as soon as you woke up”

 

Harry could only stare at his professor, again he was apologising! “It’s ok, I’m not in that much pain” Harry spoke in a soft voice. The only reply was a ‘mhmm’ as the potions master looked out the kitchen window and continued to eat his breakfast with a distance in his eyes. 

After Snape finished eating his food, he cast a scourgify on the frying pans and dishes. Walking back to the table Snape’s face turned serious. 

 

“As you are aware our possessions have been lost in the fire. Therefore, we are both in need of purchasing new clothes, not to mention bed sheets, towels etcetera. The muggle world would be the best place, considering as we are now both wanted by Death Eaters. Do you think that you will be well enough to venture outside? Mind you, we might be gone for the whole day”

 

“Yes sir, I will be fine. If we can’t go to Diagon Alley, how will we have access to Gringotts?”

 

“There is no need to go to Gringotts. I have an emergency safe in this house. I believe the money to be more than substantial for both of our needs” Severus could see the boy getting a little uncomfortable.

 

“I… Um… Ok well, If I messaged Gringotts could they send me my money?”

 

“I’m sure they could, although there is no need for that. As I’ve stated there is enough for the both of us. Where we will be going, there will be no need any prank items, therefore you will need no wizard…” Cut off by Harry, the boy began to speak heatedly.

 

“I know that, I meant for the clothes!” Having understood why the boy was so jumper, the professor replied.

 

“I have taken on the role of being your guardian have I not? Therefore, it lies within my role to give you the basic necessities.”

 

“But the Dursley’s…”

 

“Were despicable, and poor excuses for guardians, you should have been given so much more than what they gave you. They will get what’s coming for them Potter, you can be assured of that.” The professor spoke with such a vindictive tone, the boy shrank a little.

 

“Harry”

 

“I beg your pardon?” Snape looked confusedly at the boy, his brow furrowed.

 

“That’s my name, Harry. Like you said, your my guardian, you should call me by my first name.” Harry said looking straight into the Professors eyes.

 

“Alright Harry, go upstairs, brush your teeth; a new toothbrush is in the bathroom cupboard. I will meet you back downstairs in 30 minutes.

 

 

After Harry could be heard rummaging around in the bathroom, Severus Snape held his head in his hands. Overcome with a mixture of emotions, he locked them away deep inside. This was not the proper moment to get lost in thought. Pulling himself together, he made his way upstairs to get ready.

 

 

After apparating to a shopping center just outside of London, Severus and Harry walked throughout the shops in silence. Severus was frustrated by the amount of shops in the center, he was truly grateful for the amount of shops in Diagon Alley. After walking into over 10 stores, Severus was not happy with the collection of garments on display.

 

“Professor, just asking, since you glamoured us to look like different people, why couldn’t we have gone to Diagon Alley?” Harry asked, whilst sorting through clothes on a rack.

 

Severus stopped abruptly and looked in front of him, once again lost in thought. What could he say? the potions master thought. ‘Was he truly being that cautious. Potter, Harry was not only his student but his child’. Looking back at Harry he tried to figure out what to tell the boy.

 

“It would be dangerous to shop there” Looking around, Snape did a 360 of his surroundings. 

“We can get the basics from here. Wizarding wear can be bought at a later time, once I’ve made some Polyjuice Potion. That would be the safest way to disguise ourselves, a glamour could easily be removed.” Snape whispered so only Harry could understand what he said.

 

Walking in the direction of a home wear store, Harry jogged to keep up with his professors long strides. After inspecting the store for over 20 minutes, both Severus and Harry had picked their own bed sheets and quilt covers. The potions master selected a light gray set with a white and navy quilt cover. Harry’s bedsheets were light blue with a quilt cover that consisted of a mixture of green and deep blue tones. The professor after seeing what the boy had selected insisted that he select some bedside lamps as well as a rug.

 

Severus knew that Spinners End hardly compared to Snape Manor, however he still wanted Harry to feel comfortable in his/ their home. After purchasing all bedding, towels… etc., they ventured into a shoe shop. 

 

Snape forced harry to purchase not 1, 2, 3 or 4 shoes but 5. Harry having only every received Dudley’s cast offs, found himself overcome with emotion. Harry was now the owner of: 2 sneakers, 1 pair of summer sandals, 1 Dressy shoe and the last, a pair of timberland boat shoes. Snape also mentioned that the boy should purchase (from Diagon Alley) some Dragon Hyde boots for the cold Scottish winter. Snape also purchased 2 pairs of shoes, the styles were formal yet practical. 

 

After walking out of 3 clothing stores Harry’s arms were ready to fall off, as he was grasping 7 bags, Snape with the same amount. The potions master chose only a few muggle garments, as his normal everyday closet consisted of wizard wear. Harry on the other hand had purchased everything from socks/ underwear, swimmers, t-shirts, dress shirts, jeans, jumpers, jackets; the list went on.

 

Dropping half of his bags Harry looked sheepishly at his professor, who merely rolled his eyes. After helping the boy, they retreated into an empty corridor, where Snape shrunk their purchases and apparated them both to the outskirts of Spinners End.

 

Not realizing that most of the day was wasted shopping, they had forgotten lunch. Apologising to Harry, Snape told the boy to unpack his belongings whilst he went about making dinner. 

 

Once upstairs, Harry sat on the bed and stared in awe at all the bags in-front of him. Suddenly feeling choked up, he silently began to cry. No one had ever cared enough to buy him any clothes; especially this amount. The professor had gone beyond buying basic pieces. Whenever he saw Harry looking at anything he would insist that the boy try it on. Once the size was correct he would grab the item and take it to the cash register. Whatever the emergency fund pile was, it must have been a lot of money, because the professor did not once check the price for any of their items.

 

Wiping his tears with the back of his thin jacket, he began to strip the old covers off the bed; and replacing them with his new ones. Harry stood back admiring his work, he walked over to the bed and stroked the covers. They were even softer than the ones he slept on at Hogwarts. After placing the rug on the side of his bed, he then placed the lamps on the side table. Frowning, Harry wondered how muggle lamps would work without electricity. Looking at the bottom of the wall his eyebrows rose; a power socket. Having been delirious from yesterday’s fall, he remembered that this house was powered by electricity. 

 

 

Professor Snape in that moment walked into Harry’s room to see how he was fairing. Standing and analysing the room, he asked Harry “Would you like for me to change the furniture?” Harry’s only reply was a shrug.

 

 

Without waiting for a proper response, the professor went about charming each piece of furniture so that it looked brand new. The colour was much improved and the timber contained no nicks and scratches; The colour a deep brown. The bed had been changed into a four-poster bed; similar to the ones at Hogwarts. There was an added dresser and closet. The potions master smirked admiring his work. He had charmed the closet with an extension charm, the closet once the doors opened, would now contain a large room stocked will shelves around the room; there was even a large mirror, from ceiling to floor in length. Walking back into the boy’s room he transfigured a table for study purposes and a chair for the boy. Looking at Harry, he could tell that the boy was lost in thought, his face gleaming with amazement. As Harry was preoccupied, Severus used this time to look at his son. How young and happy he seemed in this moment. Turning to his professor, Snape quickly schooled his features. 

 

 

“Dinner should be ready soon, put your clothes away then come downstairs.” With that being said, the potions master strode out of the room.

 

 

As Harry started to put his shoes on the lower shelf the professor popped back into the room.

 

 

“Oh and Harry, as it’s slightly chilly tonight I feel that it would be a good idea to light the fireplace. Do feel free to use any of the clothes the Dursley’s gave you as kindling” The professor winked at Harry, retreating back downstairs.

 

 

Still kneeling on the ground Harry smiled, grabbing all of his old clothes; saying goodbye to his past.

The End.
End Notes:
As usual, please review, it really motivates me to keep writing. Thanks guys!
Chapter 9: Am I really leaving home? by Ghostwolfsbane

With only two weeks left of summer break, Harry was sitting at his desk reviewing his homework. Not that he hadn't already finished it, but the professor demanded perfection. Snape would begin by overlooking Harry's essays, then writing in the borders what areas needed improvement. He made Harry write at least 2 drafts for every subject until he wrote his final piece of work. The professor had also advised him in dropping divination, even without his OWL results, Harry knew he was going to drop it.

The summer consisted of Harry reading, writing and tending to the garden. The professor had some dead discarded plants, but with Harry's care they were now revived. Even though this was a task that the Dursley's made him do, he often enjoyed being outside and in the sun. Summer at the professors was not as bad as he originally thought it would be. He had now grown quite a bit and had more of a quidditch players build; he was no longer the short scrawny boy.

The professor forced him to do potions work every night in the lab. The professor would brew his own potions and Harry would either chop ingredients or brew his own potion. Harry could tell the change of behaviour in the professor, and that he was trying not to get annoyed by his poor potions skills.

"Potter, I know you can do better than this" was Snape's normal retort to his atrocious work. Due to Snape forcing him to read all his potions books from first year till sixth year, he really had improved a lot.

The last potion he brewed two days ago had been the draught of living death, which was a sixth-year potion. The professor had learnt over the summer that Harry did not like him lingering whilst he made potions, and that the boy did much better with him at a distance.

When Potter was finished, the professor came over to assess his work. Snape was surprised, Harry even thought his professor looked proud; almost like a parent would at their child. Harry had brewed a perfect potion, definitely one that deserved an Outstanding. The professor had praised Harry's good work, which only left the boy beaming.


Gathering his thoughts, Harry stopped day dreaming and turned in his chair to look around his room. 'His room', well it wasn't really his, it was his professors; but for this summer it really was his. He looked at his shrunken suitcase and tried to think of what else he needed. Over the holidays Harry would go over every Friday to Sirius' house. Today was no different, however he would be staying for the weekend as well. He was always happy to see his godfather, but he would always let out a sigh of content when he arrived back at Spinners End.

Grabbing his suitcase, he made his way down the stairs and into the lounge room. The door to the basement (potions lab) was open. Harry left his suitcase next to the floo network and entered the potions lab.

"Hey Professor, I'm ready to go" Harry said whilst leaning casually on the table next to where Snape was ladling a potion into a bottle.

"Just wait a minute, this is Lupins Wolfsbane potion, I would like for you to give this to him. If it saves me from seeing the man, by all means." After closing the lid to the bottle, Snape handed over the potion to Harry. Giving him a stern look, which said, "I dare you to drop it".

Harry used to the man's moods by now, merely took the bottle, smiled and trudged up the stairs. After Snape shrunk Harry's trunk, he bid Harry goodbye, reminding him to make sure Lupin took his potion. Waving goodbye, Harry smiled at the professor, then spoke the words 'Number 12 Grimmauld Place'.


Upon landing on the hearth of Grimmauld Place, Sirius hurled himself at Harry. Harry dropped his suitcase and enveloped his godfather in a bear hug. Closing his eyes, he breathed in the scent of his beloved uncle. Even though he saw Sirius less than 2 weeks ago, he had missed him; he loved it when he would tell stories about his mother and father. Withdrawing from their embrace, Sirius was beaming from ear to ear.

"I'm so glad you're here Harry, I've missed you kiddo. 'Kreacher, go and take Harry's suitcase upstairs to his bedroom' Your just in time Harry, Remus just arrived not 10 minutes ago!"

Leading Harry into the kitchen, Harry hugged his old professor. "How have you been Remus?... Oh, I almost forgot, Snape would have killed me" Harry chuckled. He reached inside his jacket where he had stored the wolfsbane potion.

"Here you go Remus. Professor Snape told me to give this to you; that's the last dose" Remus gratefully took the potion, then drank a glass of water to get rid of the after taste.

"Thank you Harry, give Severus my thank.." Remus was interrupted by Sirius' excited banter.

"Oh Harry, I forgot to tell you, I have wonderful news. Professor Dumbledore should be around in 10 minutes to explain" As Sirius finished, they all turned their heads to look through the door of the kitchen; they could hear someone come through the floo network.


Back at Spinners End, Severus was sitting in the kitchen fixing himself a cup of tea. The boy would be gone for 3 days this time. Over the past few weeks, he had come to quite enjoy the boy's company. He realised that like himself the boy enjoyed peace and quiet. He would never make a mess, and he was quite content in occupying himself; either by cooking, gardening or reading. He was very surprised how easily the boy had listened to him in regarding his homework. Harry had completed all of his work and accepted each criticism with maturity.

Without realising it, the potions master had walked up stairs and was now standing at the door of his sons' room. Harry had left a few clothes on the bed, a journal on his bedside table as well as a robe; not to mention some night slippers that were peeking out from under the bed.

Harry had forgotten to take his robe and slippers, should he take them over to the boy?

Retreating downstairs to wash his now empty tea cup, Severus tried to remember if Grimmauld Place was draughty and cool and night. What if the boy walked around bare foot and got sick? The memory of Harry's still body lying at the bottom of the stairs, and pouring blood everyone made Severus shiver. Almost rushing upstairs, Severus grabbed the boys robe and slippers placing them in small canvas bag he had seen on the boy's desk chair.

Walking back to the floo, Severus wondered if the boy had missed anything else. The potions master retreated to the basement where he placed 2 potions in the bag with Harry's other possessions. Going over to his desk, he grabbed a torn/discarded piece of parchment and wrote a small note.

Harry,

These potions are 2 stomach soothers for you to use in-case you accidently eat an overload of confectionary. 

~S

Shoving the parchment into the bag, Severus trudged up the stairs and floo'd over to Grimmauld Place.


Harry leaned over the table to get a better look at who had floo'd over. Sirius' face had gone from happy to sour.

"Snape, what are you doing here" Sirius said vehemently. Harry stood up a curious look on his face.

"Potter, a word please" Harry followed his professor into the lounge room. Looking at Snape, then at the bag 'his bag' that the professor was holding.

"Is something wrong professor? Ah, why do you have my bag sir… and I thought you were going to call me Harry not Potter." Harry was cut off by his professor pushing the bag into Harry's hands.

"You forgot your robe and slippers, it might get cold at night, you don't want to catch a cold, do you?" The professor sniffed, then speaking in a lower voice. "And as for the name, old habits die hard… That's all I wanted Pot… Harry, have a good time with your godfather."

The professor retreating to the fireplace, turning one last time to tell Harry "Don't drop the bag, there are some breakable objects." With that being said, he retreated back to Spinners End.

Walking back to the kitchen Harry could hear Sirius' mutterings about greasy old Slytherins in his house. Harry opened the bag and saw two vials and a note. Taking out the note, he read it then smiled, placing the note into the inside pocket of his jacket.

Remus tilted his head curiously, Sirius looked to Harry then to the bag.

"What did Snivelus want?" Sirius sneered.

"Don't call him that Sirius…(Harry winced) I had forgotten to pack my robe and slippers, he just came to drop them off. Oh, and also 2 vials of stomach soother solution. I think he knows about the small stash of candy we go through every time Sirius." Harry finished by laughing.

"Potions?! You're not going to take them are you Harry? Their probably poisonous."

"Why would Snape poison me? I've been staying at his house for ages, he's never done anything dodgy" Harry responded sounding offended and slightly hurt at what Sirius had said.

'Not for long' Harry thought he heard Sirius mutter.

Remus made his presence known to the two, trying to diffuse the tension. "That was thoughtful of Professor Snape, bringing you your robe and slippers; not to mention the potion. I thought he would berate you for eating that much candy." The professor said smiling sadly. 'Maybe having Harry for the summer had been good for the usually sour professor' Lupin thought.

Harry looked slightly uncomfortable, and said that he would go upstairs and put the bag and potions in his room.


When Harry came back downstairs Professor Dumbledore was sitting at the table talking to Remus. When Harry came into view, Dumbledore smiled widely and greeted his fellow student. He told Harry to sit down, and that he had good news. Harry sat, knowing that this so called 'news' was why Sirius was in such a good mood. Harry sat for what felt like hours, motionless trying to take in what Dumbledore had just told him.

"I have worked tirelessly these past couple of weeks my boy. And I have found a way to secure these headquarters. A new location for the Order of the Phoenix has been chosen, it is smaller, and further away from London. We hope that this will give us more room for privacy.

The good news is that, because there will be no order members at Grimmauld Place, it will only be Sirius, occasionally Remus and now yourself. I have found a way and have secured Grimmauld Place. Congratulations my boy, you will now be able to stay with your godfather indefinitely. I'm sorry that I didn't see the truth about your relatives sooner. But alas, let's not dwell on the past. I'm sure you could collect your belongings from Professor Snape tomorrow." Harry not knowing how to respond, sat there, looking in front of him and at no object in particular. He did however jump at the sudden noise.

Pop! Sounded the bottle of champagne that Sirius just opened. "I think this calls for a celebration don't you think?" As he poured glasses for everyone, Remus was lightly admonishing him for serving a minor alcohol; Sirius just waved him off.

Everyone was clinking their glasses, oblivious to the look Harry was portraying. Without saying anything, Harry failed to pick up his beverage, instead he walked upstairs to his room. He took off his shoes and lied down on the bed. This is what he had been wanting for the past few years. To be away from the Dursley's and to live with his godfather.

But things had somehow changed, Harry only just realised. At first, he dreaded living with Snape for the summer. Spinners End was less than an ideal place, yet so was Grimmauld Place, both houses were shrouded in darkness. However, he couldn't call Grimmauld Place home, Harry knew that deep down, Snape's house had been more of a home to him than anywhere he had ever stayed; besides Hogwarts that is.

Snape had actually been quite alright to him lately, not to mention easy to live with. Harry thought of the similarities between himself and his professor. He had been doing this a lot lately. Maybe that's why he preferred Spinners End, Snape needed his peace and quiet; yet so did he. Here at Grimmauld Place, Sirius demanded Harry's attention pretty much 90% of the day. Wanting to always talk, which Harry didn't mind, but Sirius had never told Harry to do any homework. Which would have been perfect, but in reality, that was not what parents nor guardians should do. Snape insisted that he complete his homework, and when he was done, the professor would proof read everything, giving him hints on what needed improvement.

Sighing, Harry rolled onto his side, only sitting upright when he heard a creek come from the stairs. Sirius entered the room smiling, which then shifted to a frown.

"What's wrong Harry?" Sirius said.

"Nothing, just a lot to take in, you know?" Harry said with a slight shrug of his shoulders; which normally irritated Snape.

Sirius bounced back and was smiling once again. "This is going to be so great kiddo, just how it always should have been. Like Dumbledore said, no looking back at the past just the future. I know there's only 2 weeks left of summer, but you can come back every Christmas and all other holidays; I mean obviously this is your home now. You want to go get all of your stuff from Snivelus' house?" Harry winced hearing his professors horrible nickname.

"I don't want to go barging into his house, maybe I'll get my stuff on Monday, that's when he's expecting me anyways." Sirius abruptly interrupted.

"I say, who cares when he's expecting you. And no offence Harry, but I'm sure he will be glad to get rid of you anyways. It's not like he wanted you this summer anyways" Sirius finished sneering.

Thank Merlin Sirius wasn't looking at Harry, otherwise he would have seen the true hurt that flashed through his godsons' eyes. Harry was shocked, it's not as if he didn't know his professor hated him; well, Snape had told Harry that he didn't. Although, maybe he had taken up too much of his professor's time. Snape had changed, he was much nicer, and Harry could tell that he tried to be patient with him when brewing potions.

'He took me in, and he's been pretty good to me. I can repay him by at least giving him 2 weeks Harry free'. Sighing, Harry told Sirius that he would go to Snape's tomorrow morning.

The rest of the day consisted of Harry talking to Remus, Sirius could be heard happily yelling instructions to Kreacher. 'Clean this room, add this, make sure Harry's room has brighter wall paper' etc.

Harry went to sleep that night, slightly afraid of confronting Snape. Although remembering what Sirius had sad, Harry felt less afraid, after all. Snape didn't truly want him there, so really it would be like a Christmas present come early.

Unbeknown to Harry, the headmaster had not yet told the potions master that his charge would be leaving Spinners End.


Back in Spinners End, the Professor was eating a late dinner whilst reading Potions Weekly. He occasionally looked over at the empty chair opposite him 'Harry's Chair'. Breathing in a big deep breath, Snape threw the article on the table and went about washing the dishes.

The house was eerily quiet, normally by this time Harry and he would be in the basement brewing various potions; or perhaps a game of chess.

As he settled into bed that night he thought to himself 'only a few more nights until Harry is back home'.

The End.
Chapter 10: Erase Your Tracks by Ghostwolfsbane

Spinners End

 

As the light came flooding through the curtains at Spinners End, Severus stirred awake. With a flick of the professor’s wand, the numbers 7:05am glowed in the air. Placing his wand back onto the bedside table, Snape got up and had a shower. He started the day by getting dressed, having a coffee and brewing a batch of potions. This was his normal routine, now however, why did it feel so wrong? He had become accustomed to Harry’s company, he realised that he quite enjoyed their morning breakfast together. By the time lunch came around the professor had completed 2 potions with 3 more still brewing.

 

As it hit midday, the professor rose up from the basement and decided it was time for lunch. As he was eating his ham and salad sandwich the floo network came to life.

 

 

 

Grimmauld Place

 

Harry was sitting at the kitchen table opposite his godfather. Sirius was in quite a good mood, which Harry was happy to see. Harry however was not in such a good mood, the only way to describe it would be nervous. In 1 hour, he would have to go over to Snape’s, pack up his things and leave. Not to mention the fact that Snape didn’t know Harry wouldn’t be staying at Spinners End; so, there was that conversation to be had.  

 

Leaning on his elbow, Harry mushed his porridge whilst sighing. Not able to eat any more food, Harry decided to go upstairs and get dressed. Clad in jeans and a t-shirt Harry threw a handful of floo powder into the fireplace and left.

 

 

 

Spinners End

 

As the professor was not expecting anyone, he stood up and walked into the lounge room. 

 

“Ah Severus, how are you my boy” Dumbledore asked smiling.

 

“What has happened, is it Har.. Potter?” Severus asked sounding mildly concerned.

 

The headmaster merely waved his hand and walked into Severus’ kitchen, sitting down at the table.

 

“I have already spoken to both Sirius and Harry. I was going to tell you first, but alas, I had personal business at the ministry which required my urgent attention.” Severus seemed curious and sat still, waiting for the headmaster to continue.

 

“I was able to use the protection from Harry’s aunt, and use it for Grimmauld Place. So, you see, Harry will in fact be able to live with Sirius from here on out. You must be quite relieved, I know there isn’t much left of the summer holidays, but those last 2 weeks you can use to properly relax and prepare for your new classes”.

 

After Dumbledore had said ‘Harry will in fact be able to live with Sirius from here on out’ Severus had completely zoned out. He tried to calm down and slow his breathing, there was no time for panic. Why was he feeling like this? Severus thought. He’s your son, that’s why, Severus’ subconscious said. Even though he had tried to push thoughts of Lily’s letter away, Severus could not deny that Harry was his son.

 

The headmaster had stopped speaking when he saw that Severus’ face had turned ashen white. Just as Dumbledore was about to ask Severus what was wrong, the floo network flared to life. “Ah that should be Harry now” The headmaster clapped as he stood up.

 

 

 

 

As Harry got out of Snape’s floo he brushed off the soot from his jeans. Looking around the room he sighed, knowing that this would be the last time he would set eyes on it. Not that it was an aesthetically pleasing room/ or house. It just had a quirkiness that reminded him of the professor, and had just made him feel as if he belonged. Hearing scuffling from the next room Harry walked into the kitchen. There sitting at the table was the Headmaster and the professor.

 

Harry merely staired for a moment, not really knowing what to say. As he was about to say something, the Headmaster stood up and patted Harry on the back.

 

“Harry, so nice to see you, won’t you have some tea?” Harry gulped and silently sat at the table. Dumbledore excused himself and went to the bathroom, leaving father and son together. Harry thanked Snape for the cup of tea, and occupied himself with drinking his beverage; not knowing what to say to Snape.

 

“The headmaster has told me of your decision, you are to be moving in at Blacks?” the professor said in a quiet but never wavering voice. 

Harry looked up, and thought to himself ‘when was this ever his decision?’  Simply shrugging his shoulders Harry looked back down at the table. Severus seeing the boy shrugging his shoulders quirked an eyebrow. 

 

Harry knowing that the professor deserved an explanation decided to calmly explain the situation. “Um, yeh Professor Dumbledore told me the other day. Sirius was pretty excited, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him this happy. I’m just here to take the rest of my belongings; sir (he quickly added).” 

 

Severus sat there thinking of course the boy would want to be with his godfather. Black, excitable and fun, the perfect companion. He was overcome with a feeling of sadness; his son preferred the mutt to him. In all honesty, who could blame him, he had done nothing but belittle the boy for years. Although hadn’t he changed this summer, and proved that he was in fact sorry for his past behaviour towards him. Swallowing back his emotions, Severus sat up straight when the headmaster re-entered the kitchen.

 

As the headmaster sat back down at the table, Severus excused himself and went upstairs; needing to be away from everyone at this moment. Going to his bedroom, he sat down and put his head in his hands. He had lost his son before, and now he felt like he was losing him all over again. It was his fault the first time, when Harry was a baby and he had begged Potter Sr. to help them. Guilt, and sadness at the fact that Potter and Black had spent more time with his son than he had, but that wasn’t entirely true. He had spent the past few years of his life looking after Harry, a boy in which he thought was his enemy’s son; life is a cruel bit** Snape thought.

 

After composing his emotions, he put up his mask and walked down the stairs, just as he was half way down he could hear Harry’s laughter; this made his heart flutter (it was not a sound he would often hear from Harry). 

 

“And….. then.. Sirius told me that dad fell right off… his… BROOMSTICK” Harry finished in hysterical laughter. 

 

Severus stood rigid on the step after hearing the last part of the conversation. Holding onto the banister, Severus realised that he truly loved Harry. And after hearing how happy his son was; who was he to deprive him of happiness; happiness that he as a child had none of. Obviously, the boy was happier at his godfather’s house than his teachers house. Without a moment longer, lest they wonder where he had gone. He went into Harry’s room walking over to the bedside table. There was a quill, a few pieces of chocolate, but the main item that Severus was going for; the journal. Opening it, there were 2 letters wedged inside. Severus understood enough to put two and two together.

 

Lily was to send 3 letters, 1 to him (which he already had in his possession) and the last two for Harry and the headmaster. Without another thought, Severus grabbed the two remaining letters, replacing them with 3 other blank letters. With the true letters that Lily had written, Severus went back into his room opened the closet and placed the letters in his box of memorable keepsakes. They consisted of valuable items and childhood trinkets; some that Lily had given him. His son would never know the truth, how could he ruin the image that Harry had of his father? Without another thought Severus walked back downstairs telling Harry that he shouldn’t keep his godfather waiting and that he needed to pack his belongings. 

 

 Whilst Harry was upstairs packing everything in is Hogwarts suitcase, the Headmaster sat at the table, and was looking at the potions master over his glasses; with a knowing look in his eyes. 

 

“I’m proud of you Severus, thank you truly for taking care of Harry. It hasn’t gone past my notice that he is looking much healthier these days, and hascput on a little bit of weight as well. I feel that this also has done you some good my boy, you seem more at ease.” 

If only you knew, Severus thought.

 

Dumbledore bid Severus farewell, leaving Harry and Severus alone. After Harry had finished packing his bags, he went back downstairs to say good bye to his professor. This wasn’t before he walked around his bedroom at Spinners End a few times, not really wanting to leave, but knowing he had to.

 

After shaking the professors hand, and thanking him for everything Harry let the professor shrink his belongings. 

 

“Thanks for everything professor” Harry said sounding sincere yet sad.

 

“Well, if you need anything...” The professor simply said, not knowing what to say in these sorts of situations. Especially in these sort of situations, Harry was his son, and it really did feel like goodbye. Unexpectedly, Harry put his hand out, to which the professor looked at then shook. They both understood in that moment, that their animosity towards each other was gone. 

With a final watery smile from Harry, he waved goodbye and left via the floo. Leaving Severus feeling truly alone.

 

 

Grimmauld Place

 

Back and Grimmauld Place Harry was unpacking his bag whilst Sirius was lying on the bed telling Harry about his Hogwarts days. Harry made sure to not unpack everything, in 2 weeks he would be back at Hogwarts anyways.

 

“You know, you can leave some stuff here Harry, you will be coming back for Christmas yeah?” Sirius asked looking hopeful, Harry merely nodded his head and smiled. Harry was very happy that his godfather was finally feeling less depressed, but he couldn’t help but feel that some of that sadness had crept into his own heart. He pulled out a very thick winter coat, ideal for the Scottish winter (As Snape had said). The professor had bought him so many clothes, he had to pay the man back, as it were; he wasn’t his guardian anymore. 

 

Once Sirius had left, Harry reached into his bag and started to write on a piece of parchment.

 

To Gringotts,

 

I, Harry Potter would like 300 Galleons to be transferred to Severus Snape’s vault.

 

Regards,

Harry Potter

 

 

Not knowing if it would work, it was worth a try. After sending off his letter with Hedwig, he went downstairs for an early dinner, Kreacher had been making better food these days; the aroma that was wafting upstairs was simply mouth watering.

 

 

 

One week had gone by, with Harry spending everyday talking with his godfather; it had started to get a little boring. Harry that morning had received a letter from Gringotts bank saying that the funds he wanted transferred were declined. Harry knew there was more than sufficient funds in his vault, why was it declined? maybe because he didn’t go into the branch himself?

 

His confusion was answered later that day when another owl, one he knew quite well flew in through the window of his room. Giving the bird a pet on the head as well as a treat, he removed the letter from its foot.

 

Dear Mr Potter,

 

I hope that what you did was a joke. I received a letter from Gringotts asking if it was true that Harry Potter was trying to deposit 300 Galleons into my bank account. I responded promptly saying that it was inaccurate and a mistake.

 

I am very disappointed in you, I explicitly told you previously that I did not now, nor ever wish to be repaid for the clothes I gave you. You were under my care and needed new belongings, they are yours to keep and enjoy. 

 

I suggest you never try to reciprocate monetarily, unless you would like house points to be deducted on the first day of school. Save, and use your money wisely. 

You will be glad to know that you will be allowed to take NEWT Potions. I reviewed your owl results in potions, where you received an Exceeds Expectations, which is very good considering the drivel you used to turn in. However, over the summer your work was of an Outstanding Level; you have greatly improved.

 

You need not worry about your marks betraying you from getting into potions this year, that decision will be made by Professor Slughorn your new Potions teacher. Try to review those Newt texts that I told you about, I’m sure Blacks library will have various copies. 

 

P.s. He admits Exceeds Expectations students.

 

Regards,

Severus Snape

 

 

After reading the letter Harry couldn’t help but feel happy, fortunate even, that Snape had taken the time to tell him his marks. He had not yet received his Owl results, so finding out that he got an EE in Potions was music to his ears. He was mildly ashamed that he had the gall of trying to deposit money into Snape’s account. Laughing, Harry wondered how the professor had looked when he read the letter from Gringotts. He was truly going to miss Snape, who knew if he would go back to his old self. Stopping and re-read the letter, having just realised what Snape had said. He was not going to be teaching potions! Did this mean that he was fired? Had he decided to leave after putting up with him for too long, had this summer made the professor want to flee from brats like himself?! Taking a fresh piece of parchment Harry replied.

 

 

Dear Professor,

 

I’m sorry, it’s just that no one has ever bought me as many nice things as you have. I normally have to buy basics/clothes for myself, at my own personal expense; I’m just used to it. I guess my OWL results are coming in the mail soon, I know you’re not too happy with that mark, but I think it’s a pretty good potions mark. It’s good to hear I can continue on with potions, however I’m a little confused. Who is Professor Slughorn and why is he teaching potions?

 

Hopefully taking care of me this summer has not left you having a mental breakdown and never wanting to teach students every again! 

 

P.s. It’s still Harry, not Potter

 

 

 

Harry sat in the kitchen, eating his porridge whilst reading a letter than Snape had sent. Harry waved at Professor Lupin as he entered the kitchen. After a quick greeting Harry eagerly went back to his letter. The letter stated that Professor Snape was now going to be the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher; in which Harry smirked knowing his professors longing to teach said subject.

 

Apparently, Professor Slughorn was Snape’s as well as his parents Potions teacher. Snape made it known to Harry that Slughorn tried to ‘collect’ and was infatuated in finding the best students, or students with famous/ well known parents; and that he did so, with the hope that one day he would get something out of it. Very Slytherin Harry thought.

Looking at the letter Harry continued to read.

 

 “Without saying, the boy who lived would be his most prized possession. He normally has a few parties every year, your mother was a member: The Slug Club is what he called it. As I am now aware, that you do not like the spotlight you might find his character grating; I know I do. 

 

“Suffice it to say, with your status and your mother being an alumni member of his group, he will most definitely be going easier on you in potions. However, If I hear of your grades slipping, you will be personally hearing from me. I did not spend most of my summer training you to become an intelligent potioner, for you to merely forget everything for quidditch.”

 

At reading the final dregs of the letter, Harry could not help but smile from ear to ear. The professor was not only warning him, but also complementing him on his potions skills. 

 

“What’s got you smiling like that? Got a letter from your girlfriend ay?” Sirius said while wiggling his eyebrows.

 

Harry stuck his tongue out making a gagging noise. “ Ew, no! It’s just Professor Snape” Harry dropped the letter and drank a glass of orange juice. 

 

At hearing Severus’ name, Sirius became unhinged.

 

“Why on earth is that dungeon bat writing to you?!” Harry quickly replied seeing that his godfather was getting hot headed.

 

For a good 15 minutes Harry tried to explain how it started when he had tried to send Snape 300 Galleons for his clothes. After he had told his godfather everything Sirius merely acted like a sulking child. ‘Still don’t know why you have to message him that much’ He said under his breath, jealousy dripping.

 

“Well I think it’s nice that Harry and Severus have gotten over their animosity towards each other. It seems like you had a nice time over there” Remus said.

 

“Well, I did..” Harry said hesitantly looking from Remus to Sirius, who at this point had left the room, fuming; Harry merely sighed.

 

“It’s ok to say that you enjoyed yourself Harry. Sirius just wishes you didn’t go there, although I don’t think the same. I think it’s good you went, buried the hatch so to speak. Are you happy here Harry?” Remus asked tilting his head to the side.

 

Harry looked like a deer caught in headlights. “Well, I like it here, Sirius seems really happy that I’m here. And it’s good to spend more time with him.” 

 

“Harry your avoiding my question” 

 

“I don’t know, I sort of miss Snape’s you know.” Remus looked at Harry sympathetically.

 

 

Leaving Remus to ponder with his thoughts, Harry went back upstairs with a pounding headache. It didn’t help that on the way out of the bathroom he smacked the back of his head. Deciding to go for a short nap, Harry closed the curtains and took his shoes off. Just as he was about to take his right shoe off he stole a glimpse of a book under the chair in the corner of the room.

 

Walking over to it, he picked up the book; his journal. All of a sudden everything came back to him, Harry didn’t know if it was the smack on his head, but he remembered everything. The letter from his mother, the three letters. Quickly ripping open the journal Harry sighed when he saw the 3 letters. He clutched them to his chest and laid back down. Looking at all three letters Harry felt the difference in texture. These letters felt new compared to the rough crumpled older letters. Looking down at the letters, brow furrowed, harry opened one of the letters. With a drop in his stomach Harry realised with dread that these 3 letters were fake. The letters from his mother, only one would open, the other 2 were sealed shut. These three letters however were all blank and opened.

 

Clutching his head, Harry dove into his suitcase and rummaged around hoping to find the other letters. After realising that they were gone, he sat back on his heels and cried.

The End.
Chapter 11: Just tell me you didn't know by Ghostwolfsbane

Chapter 11

 

Grimmauld Place

 

Having spent the remainder of his holiday looking for the three letters, to no avail. Harry scoured Grimmauld Place from top to bottom, even enlisting Kreachers help. He had even been so desperate as to send a missive to Professor Snape.

 

Dear Professor,

 

I was wondering if I left behind any spare pieces of parchment or letters at your house?

 

Harry.

 

It was a vague message, but he couldn’t outright tell anyone the truth. He wanted to be the first person to read those letters… Everyone else had spent so much time with his parents, and he couldn’t even remember anything about them. But now, with the letters gone, a dark shadow had come over Harry. He spent most of his days moping around the house, leaving Sirius feeling upset (had he done anything? His godfather would whisper to himself).

 

Downstairs Sirius was watching Harry as he ate his breakfast. Having brought up Harry’s attitude with Remus the previous day, he was met with only a half answer as to why Harry was acting like this. Sirius was not stupid, he could tell that even Remus thought that Harry was happier at Snape’s. As a godfather he tried his hardest to keep Harry entertained and happy, however he soon realised it was all for nothing. Sirius’ mood was becoming sour as the days wore on. Because he made Grimmauld Place a safe house for Harry, Order Headquarters had moved to another undisclosed location. Sirius was however house bound, meaning that he was not allowed to attend order meetings. Remus tried his best to come over and discuss what had happened at said meetings. This was not what Sirius thought life living with Harry would be like. Having had enough of Harry’s attitude, he confronted the boy again.

 

“I’ve had enough Harry, I ask you what is wrong, and you never tell me the truth. So, I want right here and now, for you to tell me exactly what is going on. When you used to come over every week you were so excited, but after living here, from the second day you have been nothing but miserable. If you want to stay with Snape I won’t hold that against you, just stop acting like this; it’s depressing.” Sirius finished with a huff.

 

After hearing his godfathers rant, Harry couldn’t tell whether or not he felt more miserable or angry at the fact that Sirius thought the atmosphere was depressing. Not being able to hold anything back, Harry finally let out all his pent-up anger.

 

“Depressed? DEPRESSED!! YOU KNOW WHAT IT WAS LIKE LAST YEAR, YOU! YOU WERE DEPRESSED, AND EVERYONE HAD TO PUT UP WITH IT.” Gulping back some air Harry continued to rant, only this time he started to lower his voice as he became more and more emotional. 

 

“I can’t help being upset, I’ve lost something that means more to me than anything that I own. I’ve been trying to find it, but it’s gone. I even asked Snape to see if I left it at his house, but he said nothing was left; and I don’t know what to do” He finished by bursting into tears.

 

Sirius was taken aback. He was worried that Harry’s depression was from something worse than merely losing something. 

 

“Well why didn’t you tell me, I would’ve helped you; what is it you’ve lost?” Sirius asked. 

 

“That’s just the thing, you can’t help. I asked Kreacher to help, even he couldn’t find it.” 

 

‘Kreacher is a little untrustworthy’ Sirius commented.

 

“And as for ‘what is it’, I don’t want to say, it’s personal” Harry finishes vaguely. 

 

Sirius sighed, looking around the kitchen not knowing what to do or say. Looking back at Harry, he only just realised that Harry never disagreed with him when he asked whether Harry preferred Snape’s. Leaving the table Sirius went up to the study, closed the door; magically locking it.

 

 

 

 

As the day wore on, Harry realised that he felt much better after yelling at Sirius. All of his anger was gone, what was left was a small bit of sadness. As Sirius was nowhere to be found Harry shrugged his shoulders and sat on one of the couches in the parlour. He thought to himself, at least he had his health. He was so lucky that he was not staying at the Dursley’s these holidays. Staying at Snape’s had truly made him blind to the fact that he could have had a much worse summer. And what had he done? Spent his last remaining holiday time at his godfathers sulking over a lost letter. Deciding that he should go apologise for his outburst earlier, he went upstairs to search for his godfather.

 

Finding the once closed study door now open Harry poked his head inside. Seeing Sirius at the table, Harry walked into the room.

 

“I’m really sorry for my outburst Sirius, and for my behaviour over the past week or so” Harry said sheepishly.

 

Sirius blinked at Harry, only to smile sadly seconds later.

 

“It’s ok kid. If I had gone through what you have, I would have been acting much worse than that. You seem in a better mood now though?” Harry’s cheeks went red as he smiled.

 

“Yeh, I feel better after yelling, sorry again.” Sirius waved his hand, standing up to pat Harry on the back. 

 

After asking Harry what he wanted to do today, Harry asked whether his godfather wanted to cook. Harry could have pretty much asked anything, and Sirius would have granted him his wish. Both godfather and godson made their way back down to the kitchen and spent the whole day cooking. This was an activity that Harry enjoyed at the Dursley’s and Snape’s. After they cooked lunch, they spent most of the day cooking desserts and various other meals.

 

Sirius had recommended the dishes that they were making; he had an ulterior motive however. Sirius had planned for all of Harry’s close friends to come over for his 16thBirthday. He had instructed Kreacher on what dishes he was to make. However, as Harry like cooking, they might as well make some treats that everyone could enjoy… that is if it didn’t get eaten all tonight. 

 

After a long day of cooking, talking and lots of laughing they retired that night spent and full. Not able to eat anything else, they both retired early that night. Sirius had slipped Harry a little sleeping draught in order for the boy to fall asleep early. This allowed for himself and Kreacher to decorate the house for Harry’s birthday. This was technically Harry’s first large birthday party. Sirius wanted this to be the most extra event. Hundreds of balloons, streamers etc, he wanted Harry to finish the holidays with him on a good note. 

 

 

 

Spinners End

 

It was 6:00am and the date was the 31stJuly, the birthday of Harry Potter, the boy who life; but most importantly the boy who was his son. Severus was already up early that morning, and he didn’t even wait for breakfast, he went straight to his liquor cabinet. He didn’t know that today would affect him this way. He felt utterly rotten. The boy had written to him asking whether he left any parchment or letters behind. Obviously, the boy had just realised that he had lost his mother’s letters, and he had blatantly lied to the boy. That could have been the perfect opportunity to finally confess, however, like the coward that he was; he had lied. After finishing nearly a glass of fire whisky, an owl came tapping on the window.

 

Getting up from his armchair, the potions master swayed towards the window. After snatching the letter from the owl, Severus assessed the writing. Not recognising the writing, Severus cast a few spells to make sure that it wasn’t a death eater trying to curse him. Seeing as there was no curse on the letter Severus sat back down in his chair and opened the letter. His eyebrows were lost in his hairline after he read who the sender was.

 

Snape,

 

It’s no secret that I don’t like you. However, I can see that you had/have Harry’s best interests at heart. Remus told me, but I guess my mind was just clouded with hate for you. Harry has been nothing but depressed, he holes himself up in his room, only to come down for dinner. I sat down this morning to ask him what was wrong, and he screamed the house saying that he had lost something (but never disclosed what this something was). In all honesty, I believe this to be a cry for help, and that he is hiding his true emotions. When he would come over for 1-2 days at a time he was fine, however living at Grimmauld Place has made him upset; which is an understatement. 

 

I can’t believe I am saying this, but I AM ONLY SAYING THIS because I love Harry, and only want the best for him. I can tell he preferred staying with you, and I honestly wouldn’t be a good godfather if I let him live with me much longer. I mean it’s different because he is going to school now, but what happens after and the Christmas holidays are around the corner? I feel as if him staying with me was all too sudden and a little forced. If you would allow it, I would like for Harry to have the choice of coming to live with you.

 

I know this is a lot to ask, however you have the whole semester to think about it. If Harry does decide he prefers staying with you, I’m sure his staying at your house will also extend to the summer holidays. Although I expect to see him at least 2 times per week; the usual terms and conditions as this summer.

 

I would never think of asking this of you, however I can tell that your attitude towards Harry has changed; you’re not so much of a bastard. 

This doesn’t mean I think you’re NOT a bastard, just less of bastard.

P.s, It’s Harry’s birthday today, not that I’m inviting you to come over for tea or anything. Just thought I’d let you know, I think he would be happy hearing from you.

 

Regards,

Sirius

 

 

After reading the letter Severus went over to the basement and retrieved a sober up potion. After sculling it, he went back upstairs and re-read the letter, just to make sure that his drunkenness had made him read falsely. After re-reading the letter for the third time, the potions master was shocked. Without having any time to think about Sirius’ letter, the floo rang. Looking towards the fireplace Severus saw the headmaster step out. The headmaster was still dressed in his nightgown and robe clad in slippers, however Severus saw that the headmaster was clutching something. With dread Severus looked from what Albus was clutching to his face.

 

“Severus I think we need to have a serious chat” The headmaster said whilst brandishing the letter he was holding; Lily’s letter. 

 

Severus gulped and beckoned for the headmaster to follow him into the kitchen.

 

 

 

Grimmauld Place 

 

All the clocks chimed when the tall hand reached 12. It was now 8:00am and Grimmauld Place had never looked so festive. Harry was stirring in his bed, not yet fully conscious. The door to his bedroom creaked open softly. Instead of feet, 4 small patters could be heard. The light poured into the room further and further, until it reached Harry’s bed. Reaching over to the bedside table, Harry sleepily put on his glasses and yawned. Rolling onto his side, Harry frowned, he could hear some movement from within the room. Just as he was about to reach for his wand, something came flying at him; Harry yelping with fright. Padfoot began jumping up and down on the bed whilst licking Harry’s face; making Harry laugh. After 5 minutes of this assault, Padfoot stopped licking his godson. He bit Harry’s pyjama sleeve whilst trying to drag Harry out of bed; indicating that Harry was to get up. 

 

“Alright, alright, I’m up, I’m up!” Harry continued laughing. He slid on his slippers, following the excited dog down the stairs. 

 

As soon as he reached the second floor, all he could see were balloons and streamers littered across every corner of the house. Pushing streamers aside Harry descended to the kitchen, where the decorations had subsided a little. As Padfoot was faster, he was now in his human form sitting at the table. The table to Harry’s amazement was filled with every type of breakfast dish imaginable; Kreacher had obviously spent all morning cooking these dishes. After sitting down at the table, Sirius motioned for Harry to start eating. Whilst Harry piled on a little of every dish, Sirius left the room only to return a moment later with a lump of presents. After setting them on a chair, due to the table being full of food, he passed the first parcel to Harry. Putting his fork down, Harry stood up taking the gift from his godfather; who then embraced his godson in a long hug. 

 

Sitting back down, Harry held the first gift in his hands; which was rather bulky. Tearing open the paper Harry saw that 4 books were wrapped as one gift. The first was a potions book, the next a transfiguration, herbology and charms book. Looking between all the books, Harry went to thank his godfather; however, was interrupted. 

 

“Don’t worry kid, I’m not some boring uncle to buy you Hogwarts books for your birthday. But I thought you would appreciate these specific books; open them all to the front page” 

 

Harry opened the potions book to the first page. In a faded, but still visible scrawl, Harry read the name Lily Potter. Quickly opening the other textbooks, Harry realised that 2 were from his mother and 2 from his father; the letters James Potter etched in the transfiguration and herbology textbook.

 

Sirius went on to tell Harry that these were his parent’s textbooks when they were in their 6thyear; which Harry would now be able to use this upcoming year. After thanking his godfather profusely for such precious presents, Sirius motioned for Harry to open the rest of his gifts. 

 

Harry continued to open up his bunch of presents, whilst stopping every now and then to eat a few mouthfuls of food. Sitting back in his chair, Harry thanked merlin that his pyjamas had a drawstring waist band; because his stomach was ready to explode. 

He had received various candy’s, new quidditch gear as well as his very own golden snitch. The best gift was that his godfather had bought him the newest Firebolt. Harry had blabbered on, saying that he didn’t need a new broom, Sirius merely flicked his wrist as if trying to shoo away a fly. After crawling back upstairs with a heavy stomach and a hand full of gifts, Harry went about putting his presents away. Harry quickly had a shower and got dressed into a dressier top, but still settled with a pair of black jeans. An outfit that professor Snape had selected for him. 

 

As the clock rang midday, Harry heard the floo flair. Running downstairs Harry greeted his first guest, to his surprise; it was Neville. Harry did not know who would be coming, considering Sirius had planned this surprise party.

 

Clapping Neville on the back and thanking him for coming they retreated to the other lounge room; waiting for the other guests. 

 

 

Finally, everyone was gathered in Harry’s bedroom upstairs, Ron and Ginny were sitting on the bed, Hermione on the chair, Harry and Neville on the floor. Each of his friends were interrogating him, asking him how his summer was and what he did here with Sirius. Harry was trying very hard not to stumble and give himself away. He had told his friends that he was at Grimmauld Place and had stayed here the whole summer. Truthfully however these holidays had been very eventful. From living with Snape, then his manor burning to the ground by death eaters. Snape being found as a spy, both of them moving to Spinners End; then himself moving back in with his godfather. He got dizzy just thinking about all that happened this summer. 

 

 

“So, who do you think will be teaching DADA this year? They’ve got to be better than Umbridge” Ron asked.

 

“Maybe Moody will come back, he was ok” Ginny stated.

 

“He’s much too busy with his current job, I doubt he will come back to teaching… And technically he never did teach us in the first place” Hermione drifted off, looking around Harry’s bedroom. 

 

At this point, they had all eaten a large lunch, Harry having also opened his presents. Neville had bought him a Chinese Chomping Cabbage plant in which he knew nothing about, but luckily, he had also been gifted a book on how to care for it.  Hermione had bought Harry a record player, as well as a few vinyls. What was interesting, was that one of the 3 was on meditation. After reading the back, Harry was impressed and quite glad for such a present. Hermione and all of his friends knew that he struggled to sleep at night, as his dreams were more or less always nightmares. The vinyl contained rainwater sounds, the beach and other calming sounds; it was a gift that would definitely be used constantly. Ron’s gift comprised of a quidditch banner (with a note attached telling him to hang it in his new bedroom), and a broom maintenance kit. Ginny had gifted Harry with an assortment of Honeydukes treats, cauldron cakes and an extra-large packet of chocolate frogs. After spending a fair bit of time with his friends they all went back into the kitchen as more guests decided to come. Harry counted all the new people to come to Grimmauld Place: Hagrid, Remus, Tonks, Moody, Professor McGonagall as well as Professor Dumbledore. Harry smiled and greeted everyone; thanking them for coming. Harry was quick to realise that a certain professor was not here, he must be busy; Harry surmised. Dumbledore was talking to Remus in the corner, however his eyes would dart to Harry every so often; which did not go unnoticed by Sirius. 

 

Molly Weasley eventually shushed everyone, bringing out a large home-made birthday cake. It was coloured in a forest green, with 3 goals posts stuck in the middle. Flying around the cake was a black-haired boy on a broom chasing after a golden snitch. Harry stood at the head of the table whilst everyone began singing Happy Birthday. After blowing out the candles Harry made a wish, after opening his eyes he knew that it didn’t come true. Sighing internally, Harry smiled at everyone and cut the cake. Mrs Weasley took over the duty of distributing the pieces of cake. Harry and his friends sat down at the kitchen table happily munching away, sighing in content as they licked the icing off of their spoons. 

 

 

Spinners End (Pre- Harry’s Birthday Party)

 

 

“Severus, I think we need to have a serious chat” The headmaster said.

 

Severus gulped, “Where did you get that?”.

 

“Oh, it was delivered to me at 5:00am this morning. I didn’t see who delivered it, however upon reading the letter it was quite obvious. Lily had used magic to deliver this letter on this specific day at a specific time. I read it all Severus, 3 times in fact.” Dumbledore placed Lily’s letter onto a table and walked over to Severus; to stand in-front of him.

 

Severus shrunk back a little seeing his headmasters predatory walk. 

 

“There is only one thing that I need to say to you” The headmaster was now right in-front of Severus. Severus flinched thinking the professor was about to physically insult him. However, the headmaster grabbed the potion master’s shoulders and pulled him into a hug.

 

“I am so sorry” They stood there for a little while, eventually Severus had tears running down his face. The professor never let go, only tightening his grip when Severus’ shoulders started to shake; the tears beginning to flow. 

 

After what felt like forever they separated, Dumbledore leading the distressed man to the kitchen table. Accio’ing some firewisky, they both sat there silently sipping their liquor.  

 

“In Lily’s letter she said that you would have already gotten the letter. At least now, I fully understand your reaction when Harry went to go live with Sirius. I take it you have your previous memories rightly restored?”

 

“Yes, everything is back as it was.”

 

“And how are you feeling?”

 

“I, I can’t explain it” Severus said, looking into the distance, his mind drifting off. 

 

The headmaster was patient, waiting for Severus to find the right words.

 

“It’s strange, I feel two things at once. I feel happiness, passion and love; so much love for Harry. Then, I feel loathing amongst other feelings of revulsion. I feel conflicted, I have two memories, two ways that I see the world; and it’s just strange. It’s been tough, thinking about a life without Harry, however he is Happy with his godfather… well so I thought.” Severus went over to the kitchen bench and retrieved Sirius’ letter.

 

Handing it over to Dumbledore, the headmaster sat back reading in anticipation. His eyebrows raised when reading certain parts. 

 

“Well, it seems that Sirius has a more mature mindset. And what did you reply to his letter?”

 

“Nothing, I have not had any time to properly think about things. What… how would I… I wouldn’t know what to tell him, where would I start?”

 

“Normally at the beginning. What I do know, is that you should do it sooner than later. Letting things linger will not be good in the long run.” Seeing the deflated potions master the headmaster put a hand on Severus’ shoulder. 

 

Getting up, the headmaster smiled sadly at his colleague and walked over to the floo. Remembering he had one more thing to tell Severus, he poked his head through to the kitchen again. Severus had his head in hands as he leaned on the table.

 

“Oh, and Severus, it would be good if you attended Harry’s birthday party today; I know he would want you there” Just as the headmaster was about to leave. Severus shot out of his chair at bullet speed.

 

“Please, if I don’t come, please take this to the party” Severus handed over a thin wrapped parcel to the headmaster. Dumbledore tried to tell Severus to take it himself, however not wanting to further argue took the book. And with that, Severus was once again alone. 

 

 

Grimmauld Place (Harry’s Birthday: Present time)

 

The day had been magical, Harry had never remembered feeling more loved. Having never had a birthday party this was a moment for the books. It had irked him that Snape wasn’t there. After everything that happened this summer he thought that the man would at least come for a few minutes. Obviously, he had been too much trouble this summer, and the professor wanted a break; a Harry free break. Sighing, Harry made a beeline to the presents table. Having already opened his friends’ gifts, there were a few left from the adults. There were two gifts left, one from the headmaster then one than didn’t have a name. Opening the one with no name tag first, he ripped open the brown paper. Turning the book over in his hands, it was a tattered copy of ‘The Giraffe and the Pelly and me’ by Roald Dahl. Harry thought this was a very bizarre book. Flipping the book to the back he read the blurb “about a young boy Billy, who meets a giraffe, pelican and money who work as window cleaners”. At reading this Harry laughed, what a weird gift. Flipping the pages Harry stopped and quickly flipped back to the second page, there was an inscription, Lily Evens.

 

Harry stopped he was in awe, this book had belonged to his mother! Looking on the other side of the page was a long note; the writing was small and cramped. 

 

Dear Harry.

 

Happy 16thBirthday.

As you can see this book once belonged to your mother.

It fell into my possession many years ago, however it should now be rightfully returned to you, her son.

This was your mothers favourite book as a child.

Here’s hoping it makes you laugh, as much as it did your mother.

 

Love,

Your father

 

 

Harry stood there clutching the book to his chest. He was confused, and his mind was racing a million miles per hour. Why would his dad, how could his dad… it was weird Harry thought. Walking upstairs with the book still clutched in his hands. He went to retrieve the letter that Snape had previously written to him a while back.

 

Opening his school trunk, he rummaged through until he found the letter. Looking back and forth from the professor’s letter and his ‘fathers’ inscription on his mothers’ book. Harry heard a creak and looked towards his closed bedroom door. After the party Sirius was so tired that he retired early that night. Harry was the only person awake, besides creature; but he was an elf.

 

Looking back at the note and book, Harry jumped, scared as something light brushed over his head. Looking up then down, Harry saw that a letter had fallen from nowhere; and it now laid on the ground.

 

Eyes round, Harry knew this letter all too well. This was the letter that gave him nightmares, the one that was ‘lost’. With shaking hands, Harry picked up the letter, turning it over then ripping the top of it. He took his time reading it. The first time, he did not believe what he had read. Reading it a second time, to make sure that he wasn’t going crazy. After the fifth time reading the letter Harry was beyond distraught, he had tears running down his face. He crumbled to the ground feeling grief wash over him. After sitting still for 20 minutes, Harry felt a wave of anger wash over him. Without thinking about what he was doing, Harry ran out of the room. Rushing down the stairs Harry threw in the floo powder, the flames enveloping him. 

 

Once he landed at Spinners End, Harry madly look back and forth to see if anyone was in the lounge room, he tore through the kitchen; also seeing no one. On his way back to the lobby, Harry happened to look at an old grandfather clock; the time reading 1:00am. Looking at the stairs, Harry ran up them; still in a haze of anger. He looked at the open door, his old bedroom and felt glued to the floor. He was breathing very hard and had a crazed look in his eyes. Without a second though he turned on the spot facing what he knew to be the professor’s bedroom. He stood there for a second, however that only made his situation worst. Coming over here had been an impulse, however now his feelings were true and personal. What he was about to do, he wanted to do.

 

Using as much force as possible Harry kicked the door down into the Professors room. Having kicked the door in the correct point, it had most definitely smashed open, and it was also hanging off of one hinge. The professor had had an early night and went to sleep early. However, as Harry smashed the door open Severus shot up in bed.

 

“DID YOU KNOW BEFORE? HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN, YOU BASTARD!”

 

As Harry screamed this, from the professor’s point of view the intruder was completely covered in darkness. There was no light shining showing the intruders true face. Severus having been a spy for years, had developed stealth; meaning he always was ready for a fight. Pulling his wand from under his pillow he did the only thing that came to his mind at 1:05am. A spell in which he knew would take down an intruder, a spell for enemies

 

Slicing his wand through the air, the intruder hit the ground with a loud thump. His screams shrieking to a higher pitch as the spell struck him. Having just awoken from sleep Severus could not hear a word that was being screamed at him. All besides the last “Bastard”.

 

Swiftly getting up, and lighting all the lights, his blood ran cold, seeing his sons blood running all over the floor. The Sectumsempra spell having cut him on his chest, very close to the neck. Severus fell on the ground grabbing for his boy. However, as he went to him, Harry tried valiantly to shift away, muttering in a broken voice “I hate you”. 

 

Severus finally registered what the boy had been saying the moment his eyes met the now bloody letter still clutched like a lifeline in Harry’s hand.

 

The End.
Chapter 12: Dead to Me by Ghostwolfsbane

Previously on WTHIH...

 

"DID YOU KNOW BEFORE? HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN, YOU BASTARD!"

 

As Harry screamed this, from the professor's point of view the intruder was completely covered in darkness. There was no light shining showing the intruders true face. Severus having been a spy for years, had developed stealth; meaning he always was ready for a fight. Pulling his wand from under his pillow he did the only thing that came to his mind at 1:05am. A spell in which he knew would take down an intruder, a spell for enemies.

 

Slicing his wand through the air, the intruder hit the ground with a loud thump. His screams shrieking to a higher pitch as the spell struck him. Having just awoken from sleep Severus could not hear a word that was being screamed at him. All besides the last "Bastard".

 

Swiftly getting up, and lighting all the lights, his blood ran cold, seeing his sons blood running all over the floor. The Sectumsempra spell having cut him on his chest, very close to the neck. Severus fell on the ground grabbing for his boy. However, as he went to him, Harry tried valiantly to shift away, muttering in a broken voice "I hate you".

 

Severus finally registered what the boy had been saying the moment his eyes met the now bloody letter still clutched like a lifeline in Harry's hand.

 

 

 

Chapter 12: Dead to me

 

Spinners End

Vulnera Sanentur.... Vulnera Sanentur, this was all that could be heard on a cold chilly morning at Spinners End. After having lost a tremendous deal of blood, Harry had fallen unconscious. His father tried valiantly to heal his son's wounds, this however took time. Whilst there was only one gash on the boy's chest, it ran from the bottom of his neck to his naval. The professor's voice was shaking as he moved his wand from one end to the other end of the cut. Shame was evidently plastered on the professor's face. After spending 20 minutes chanting the counter curse to his spell, Severus Snape leaned back onto the heels of his feet looking at his work. Whilst the boy still had a very noticeable scar, the wound was closed. Checking the boy's pulse, Severus quickly made his way downstairs to his potion's rooms. He realised as he could have accio'd his supplies, however he couldn't bare looking at Harry Potter like that. Another scar he would add to a list of many, it would seem. Retrieving the needed healing supplies, Severus walked back upstairs and kneeled once again on the ground, making it a mission to rid Harry of the scars he had not an hour ago inflicted.

 

After applying a plethora of balms and creams, he finished by applying a few Essence of Dittany drops. The drops sizzled on the boy's skin, helping the wound to close. As the professor applied a few more drops, Harry started to stir awake.

"Relax, don't move too suddenly" Severus was saying in a soft yet anxious voice. Suddenly, almost as if lightening had struck, Harry sat upright in a flash.

 

"Ahhssss" Harry half yelled and hissed in pain. Looking up, as soon as he saw Snape, he scurried back towards the hallway.

 

"Harry, don't move, you're in pain" Severus said pleadingly. His eyes had dark circles and looked as if he had been crying for a while.

 

"Don't, call, me, Harry." Harry said in a very deadly voice, almost a replica of his father's own. Stubbornly Harry tried to right himself and stand up. Which he achieved, yet was heavily relying on the wall behind him, to help him stay upright.

 

"I am so sorry Harry, words do not explain how sorry I truly am. After years of being a spy, I have quick reflexes, and thought you were an intruder. You need to listen to me, please sit down, you have lost a lot of blood, I was just going to give you a blood replenisher; however you woke up." Leaning into a potions box, the master retrieved the blood replenisher and handed it to Harry.

 

As soon as Harry held it, with whatever energy he had left, he threw it straight at the professor. However, with quick reflexes ducked, the potions shattering on the wall above the professor's chest of draws. Harry having lost his ability to stand, crumbled to the floor sobbing whilst leaning against the wall.

 

Severus at seeing this spoke "I understand how painful this must be for you. Please take the blood replenisher and pain reliever if you're in pain." At hearing this Harry laughed, a cold laugh. Severus' face falling and looking concerned.

 

"How long have you known?" Harry asked in a soft voice. After the professor did not reply Harry shouted those same words again.

 

Face crumbling, the professor looked at the ground, at the letter; He had forgotten about that.

"Harry, I can explain"

 

"Explain what you bastard? I lived with you for the majority of the summer, and you never told me anything. Mum said in my letter, that she sent you a letter before I was sent mine.

I read her letter, five times over. I don't believer it, how do I know that you didn't write it. Just to torture me one last time. Got nothing to say? Well let me tell you something..." Harry paused as he was interrupted by the professor.

 

"I do have something to say. Think about what you are saying Harry, I understand that you feel that you have been deceived. But the reality is that that letter is in fact real. (The professor sits on the ground opposite Harry, holding the letter Lily wrote to their son)

Your mother and I agreed a long time ago, that I remove my memories. Well... It was more my idea than your mothers. Your father... James... he helped at a time that I could not, I will never be able to repay him for that. I don't expect you to see me as your father, considering James.... What I'm trying to say is that."

 

Stuck on his words Severus did not really know how to express his feelings or word his thoughts.

 

Harry was sitting there looking miserable. Looking Snape in the eye, Harry straightened his back and gave the professor a look of loathing.

 

"That's right, James was the one that died for me, protected me. He will be and has been a better father to me than you will ever be. You abandoned my mum and me all those years ago. So, is that why you were nicer to me this summer? Mhmm, was the guilt just too much?" Harry's voice had started to rise as he progressed in his rant.

 

"I don't have anything to say to you really. But just one thing before I leave...."

 

You're not leaving, your hurt'

 

"JUST ONE THING! My letter, the one your holding; was lost. I asked you if you had seen it, and you said no. Were you telling the truth?" Harry looked murderous.

 

"I will tell you the truth Harry. No, I was not telling the truth. I took the letters are stored them in my draw. I had only just read my own, and needed some time to acknowledge everyt..."

 

"I KNEW IT! I knew they were here. I wanted to hard to believe that you didn't have them, because really; why would you withhold some letters from me. But now I understand. Well let me explain something to you. You can stop the act, of being nice to me. You will never be a father to me. James Potter was my father, you're just a mistake; I don't know what my mother saw in you.

I don't want you as my father. I had a dad, and he died trying to protect me. Him, not you, you just decided to dump mum and I when things were getting tough; coward.

 

Forget about us being civil to each other, that's over for me. Your dead to me, just as dead as my dead father." With that being said, Harry gathered all of his strength and pulled himself together. Flocking down the stairs, he went through the floo network back to Grimmauld Place.

 

Severus meanwhile was upstairs, he was still sitting on the ground holding Lily's letter to Harry. Without making a noise, he sat there silently crying looking at a fixed spot on the floor. He hadn't even explained to Harry about the memories removed by Lily. Or that the only reason he had left Lily and Harry, was because he didn't want to be of danger to them.

 

Feelings of depression whirled within him, as he realised that his son would never talk or see him again. Well, he would be talking to him at school and seeing the boy. However never in the same way as this summer.

 

 

Hogwarts Express

 

Harry was sitting with Neville and Luna, whilst Ron and Hermione did rounds on the train as prefects. Ginny was off with who knew what new boyfriend, having gone through so many already. With no girls on his mind, Harry sat very quietly on the train; his friends picking up on his mood.

 

"Hey Harry, do you want to play exploding snap?" Asked Neville. Without replying Harry merely shook his head, sighing Neville went back to his book.

 

After one hour had gone past, Harry and Neville had received an invitation to join the new teacher at Hogwarts, Professor Slughorn for some lunch.

Harry sat there, not speaking that much. Professor Slughorn did not seem impressed by Marcus Belby as well as Neville Longbottom. Slughorn kept his comments to himself, however he thought Harry was very different to his exuberant father, and charming mother.  Harry answered the professor's questions and was respectful; however mostly kept quiet.

After excusing himself, Harry heard the professor ask one of the other students in the dinning cart if he were feeling well; the truth, No.  

 

Back in his train car, Luna sat peering out the window. With Ron and Hermione talking to each other. Harry slid through the door back onto his seat. Hermione and Ron tried to communicate with Harry throughout the train ride, to no avail Harry didn't utter more than a few words.

 

Once the train started to slow down, preparing for their arrival. Harry snatched his backpack and took his clothes to change into robes. Harry left the train 30 minutes later alone, trying to ditch his friends. Everyone was so loud, and constantly talking; all he wanted was silence. Deciding to walk back to school instead of ridding the Thestral drawn carriages, Harry finally breathed a sigh of relief.

Walking onto the school grounds Harry met Hagrid along the way, who he greeted.

 

"Congratulations on' ya getting Quidditch Ca'tain Harry" Harry merely thanked Hagrid put on his best smile and walked towards the castle. Having powerwalked most of the way to the castle Harry was the first student there. As he was walking into the castle towards the great hall, he physically bumped into somebody. Looking up he saw the person who was trying not to think about; yet failing.

 

"Harry, what are you doing here already, is everything alright?" Professor Snape asked, looking over Harry in concern.

 

"I would appreciate it Sir, if you would call me by my last name" and with that Harry strode off. Leaving Severus bewildered. Gone was the boy he knew from before. This child, that had stood in front of him, had been a young man. Riddled with worry, which only reminded Severus too much of himself as a young boy. With one more look at the Great Hall. Severus walked on the grounds towards the front gates of Hogwarts, to observe Mr Filtch and the Aurors. On his way to the gates, he stopped, only just realising something. Lily had said that the spell put on Harry to alter his appearance would stop after his 16th Birthday. Remembering what Harry looked like not 5 minutes, Severus was taken aback.

 

His son's hair whilst still maintaining its raven black colour lied flatter, and less scruffy. His eyes remained the same beautiful green. Whilst his face had gained slightly higher cheekbones, more delicate eyebrows and thank Merlin Lily's nose. Severus noted, that his features along with Lily's were truly starting to make a very handsome child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The End.
End Notes:
Another chapter, coming today!
Chapter 13: What a Bad Student by Ghostwolfsbane

Chapter 13: What a Bad Student

 

First Day of Classes

It was very early in the morning when Harry decided to wake up. Having had a rested sleep, after retiring early from the feast the previous night. Harry went to breakfast at 6:30am as he wanted to beat the onslaught of students which he knew would come. After Professor Dumbledore had named Professor Slughorn their new Potions teacher, and Severus Snape the Defence against the Dark Arts teacher. Harry knew he had to do something about it. After eating his dry toast, eggs and bacon. Harry trekked up 9 flights of stairs in order to reach Professor McGonagall's office. Knocking on her door, he was met with an enter.

Professor McGonagall was sitting at her desk with a quill in her hand. Upon seeing Potter at her door, she dropped her quill, whilst looking at the clock.

"Potter, what ever is the matter, are you alright? It's only five past 7!"

Harry ignored her question and sat in the chair opposite his head of houses desk.

"I'm here to talk about my subjects, Professor" Harry said whilst looking at his Professor with a look that said, ‘try me, I'm going to see you now'.

"I'm fairly certain that this could wait till late.... Oh well I suppose you're here now, never mind. Alright, what is wrong with your subjects, do you wish the change or drop one?"

"Yes, professor I wish to drop..." As Harry spoke the professor could be seen searching through papers, searching in the P section to get to Harry Potter's file.

"Defence against the Dark Arts" Harry said in an almost bored tone.

"Potter, have you completed lost your mind?!" The professor's eyebrows were raised and the pitch of her voice, too rising precariously high.

"That is one of your best subjects, not to mention the fact that you indeed started, and taught Dumbledore's Army. Honestly what has gotten into you!" After a long pause of the teacher looking at the student it finally clicked.

"Ahh. So, it's not that you want to drop the subject, you want to drop the teacher! I thought it was your ambition to become an auror?"

"It is... but" the stern woman interrupted Harry.

"I'm afraid Harry, not liking your teacher is not a good enough excuse to drop a class. Especially a class as important as DADA. If you would like to go to the headmaster and challenge my decision, by all means do that. However, it will only be a waste of time, as I guarantee he will say the same as I have. Good Day Potter" Professor McGonagall signalled the conversation over, leaving Harry trudging miserably out of her office.

 

Potions Class

Harry sat next to Neville and Hermione in potions class. Professor Slughorn was walking around the classroom offering bits of advice to various students. Once he saw Harry's cauldron, he commented on how well Harry's brewing was, and that it greatly resembled his mother's adept potion skills. Harry, however, knew that the only person whose potion skills his resembled was Professor Snape's; considering the man did spend the summer teaching him. Harry merely smiled and thanked his professor.

For once, potions class went quite well, with Harry receiving an E for his class; and he hadn't even been trying that hard.

 

Defence Against the Dark Arts

Once the class started to fill up, Harry made sure to sit right at the back of the classroom. Hermione looked at Harry sceptically. Harry had no wish to be in Snape's close eye contact, at the back he at least at the whole class as a buffer between him and the professor. Once everyone had sat down, Snape came striding into the room, and up to the front. He spent the class talking about the content for the year, as well as discussing Inferi. Harry was listening to the class; however, he would glance to his desk, the walls or the ceiling. Never wanting to make eye contact with the man he hated with immense passion.

"Ah, Mr Potter. Can you tell me..." His professor thought that Harry was not listening. However, to Harry's smugness he recited word for word what the professor had just said. Snape merely nodded in agreement and continued with his lecture. Looking every now and then at his son, and his withdrawn behaviour. As the class finished, and Harry went to make a dash for the door. Snape requested Harry to stay behind.

Harry, pretending not to hear his professor. Merely grabbed his bag and strolled out of the room. Hermione and Ron were staring wide eyed at Harry's retreating form. They looked back to their DADA professor, and quickly made a beeline for the door; pushing their way through the hoards of people. Catching up to Harry, Ron was the first to comment on Harry's strange behaviour.

"Harry! What the hell is happening to you?" Ron almost yellow, whilst being ushered by Hermione to a quite area of the castle.

Hermione forced the two boys to sit on a ledge in an empty corridor. Sitting down herself, she began "You just ignored Professor Snape Harry, he is going to be very upset!" Ron agreed.

"You have been in a weird mood since the Hogwarts Express mate. What's going on. You barely stayed at the feast on the first night. Not to mention the fact, that every morning your always up early, not waiting for any of us to have breakfast. Then when we come into the great hall, you scurry away." Ron was speaking in a concerned voice.

"Look, I don't need to explain myself to you, you either Hermione. You're not my father... or mother. Just leave me alone" Harry said yanking his arm away as Hermione went to grab it.

Hermione and Ron, both sighed, watching Harry stride off angrily to his next class.

 

One Week Later... DADA Class

"Detention Mr. Potter! For such blatant disrespect" Professor Snape said in an angry voice.

The DADA teacher was at his wits end. Harry had been continuously showing poor signs of behaviour the whole week. Not only to himself, that Severus Snape could understand; considering their situation. However, being disrespectful to the other teachers, as well as not handing in any homework was inexcusable.

Severus had heard in the teachers lounge, that Harry was not completing any of his homework, and his grades in potions were more deplorable than ever. The boy had received a detention from Professor Flitwick and Professor McGonagall.

 

Detention with Professor Snape

He had waited for not 5, not 10, but 15 minutes for the boy to come. He had neglected to turn up for his detention. Obviously, the boy was trying to avoid him. Not bothering to sit like a fool waiting any longer, Severus decided to continue with his marking. Only once he was finished did he make his way up to Professor Flitwick's office.

"Filius" Severus said as he strode into his colleague's office.

"Ah, Severus what can I do for you; is everything alright?"

"Unfortunately, no. I was supposed to hold Mr. Potters detention tonight. However the boy never turned up."

"Yes, he has been behaving rather odly, as of late. I had to give the boy a detention as well I'm afraid. His course work is falling behind I'm afraid. It's almost as if, he has just given up on his education" Filius spoke in a saddened yet concerned voice.

"I heard from Minerva, that Mr. Potter in fact attended detention with her. I believe he is avoiding detention with me, for reasons only himself could give you. However, avoiding detention I'm afraid has only made his situation worse I'm afraid. I was wondering if you would do me a favour?" Severus asked, quirking an eyebrow. Filius waited for Severus to continue.

"Well, I was wondering I could take over your detention with him. You would of course tell him that he was to meet you in whatever room of your choosing. However, he would in fact be really doing said detention with me. I will lengthen the detention as well, so that he will be re-sitting my detention and taking yours. Do you think this would be satisfactory?" Severus asked.

"Well.... I Suppose it would be alright. I do have an awful bit of marking to do. That will do well Severus. I hop you can find out what is wrong with the boy. Otherwise, I am afraid of the impact this will have on in NEWTS... He previously wanted to be an auror from what I hear...." Severus merely nodded and left the office, leaving Filius talking to himself. 

 

Detention with ‘Professor Flitwick'

 

Harry walked into a classroom he had never been in before. Seeing the room was empty, he decided to sit at one of the tables towards the front of the classroom. As he sat down, he put his head onto the table. He was so tired these days, he was constantly overthinking about his personal life; that he had to time for homework. He supposed he deserved these detentions. Not completing homework for weeks in a row was not good. He was surprised the headmaster hadn't been brought in. He didn't mind these detentions, because he knew that he was being punished for something he had done wrong. However, the detentions with Snape. He just knew they were because the man just wanted to talk to him. And he most certainly did not want to talk to that man.

A second later, Harry heard the door scrape open. Lifting his head off of his desk, Harry rolled his neck, then turned around to see his charms teacher. However, upon seeing Severus Snape, Harry shot out of his chair in an instance.

"You! What are you doing here? You're not Professor Flitwick!!" Harry yelled at Snape.

"Yes, how very good. It seems after 5 years of education at Hogwarts, you do in fact know the different between myself and a man who only comes up to just above my knee" Harry sneered.

Harry went to pick up his bag and tried to make a run for it. Severus foreseeing this, lazily flicked his wand whilst leaning on one of the nearby tables. As Harry went to open the door, he blushed as he realised that Snape had locked them in.

"There is no use running. I have locked the door, in a way that only I will be able to open. And they will open once we have had a talk, and you have thoroughly listened to me.

"I don't want to listen to you. We have nothing to discuss, especially nothing about summer, mum and her letter" Harry glared at his professor.

"Mhmm, yes I agree. You can hate me as much as you wish for that Harry. I did not communicate effectively the last time we saw each other. Not the mention the fact that I did in fact curse you. No, this conversation is about your education. As much as I wish to have a relationship with you, you are old enough to make you own decisions. I realise that as you put it, I've been a ‘bastard', which is true. My treatment towards you in the past has been deplorable. As much as you hate me, I am still your father, and even if you don't believe me; I do care for you deeply. Now." Severus took and break and sat down on a chair opposite Harry.

"Your attitude, towards your friends, teachers and your commitment to your education I find deeply disappointing. Your attitude to me, I will understand, I don't necessarily approve of, but I understand. Your anger should only be at me. Do not be distant to your friends, you are very lucky to have them, and I do not wish for you to lose ties with such good people. Now, your teachers demand your respect at all times, which includes me. Now, before you say anything, while we are in class, you will be respectful, listen and complete your work. Out of class, I will turn my head the other way if you say something ‘unkind' about me. However, it better not be in front of others, and no swearing! You are not a bad child; therefore, I expect the best language coming from your mouth; understand?" Harry merely stared forward no really knowing what to say after what Snape had said. 

"Your homework on another note. You need to talk to someone about what has happened between us. If only for you to fully get your anger out, it is being deeply supressed; which is not healthy Harry. Now before you argue, there is no need. I see so much of myself in you, it's unsettling. When I was young, same age as you, I held so much anger inside. Angry because of my father, house mates; amongst other things. It poisons you, this is the sort of attribute I do not wish for you and I to have in common; ever. I am here if you wish to ever talk, however, if you wish to tell your friends I wouldn't hold it against you. As I have said you are lucky to have them as friends, and I do not believe they would spread this information about us with just anyone." Severus stopped talking merely gazing at his son, who now was openly staring into dark obsidian eyes.

"You know, I don't know if you have noticed yet. However, your looks are really changing day by day, the spell obviously starting to wear off. It's amazing how much more of Lily's features you now shar.."

"What?!"

"Surely you would have noticed?" Severus tilted his head. Harry looked around the room, obviously trying to find a mirror to look at his face. Severus used a spare bit of parchment and transfigured it into a mirror. Passing it to Harry, the boy cautiously took the mirror from the professor.

Looking at himself in the mirror, he was amazed. He looked the same, yet slightly different. His hair lay flatter, his cheekbones were higher.....

"You really are growing into quite a handsome young man. It is just a pity that your mother couldn't be here to see you" Severus looking out the window, swallowing back his emotion; tears welling in his eyes. Harry darted his eyes back and forth from the professor to the mirror he was holding.

Harry was confused of the man's behaviour towards him. To be fair, the teacher's behaviour hadn't changed from the holidays; only his own. Placing the mirror back down to the table, Harry sat back in his chair whilst slumping.

Severus snapped out of his past musings. Standing up from his seat, he began to pace back and forth.  

"I am very disappointed with your school work Harry. Whilst you have not been a dumb child, I have seen better work than this from Longbottom. Your mother and James Potter did not die, for you to throw your life away. From now on, you will be confined after class to my personal quarters. I will help you with all of your homework if need be. Normally I spend the time marking papers, which I will be doing, however should you feel the need to ask me any questions you will do so.

I will hear no arguments from you, you can hate me all you want; however this is happening. By all means if you wish to leave straight after our ‘tutoring sessions' by all means; leave. If you need someone to speak to, then you may stay, if you want to have some tea and play chess like we did during the summer; we will do so. But let me make this clear. We will improve those marks, no son of mine and Lily's will have sub-par results; is that understood?"

"Yes" Harry murmured.

"Yes Sir" Professor Snape repeated.

"There's no need to call me Sir, Professor" Severus Snape, known to be an extremely stern man, looked at Harry right in the eye. Waited 10 seconds, then burst out laughing whilst shaking his head.

Harry jumped when he heard his professors booming laugh, it was not malicious, but a hearty laugh.

The potions master unlocked the door whilst his laughing simmered down. Smiling and shaking his head back and forth he picked up Harry's backpack and handed it to the bewildered child.

"Take this and go, I should be docking points for that. However, as the last part of my conversation was as a father, not a teacher; I will let it slide. I believe I have gotten my point across. Our tutoring will be effective immediately. Meaning that tomorrow morning expect an own for me with directions on how to get to my quarters, as well as a password; for once you remember the pathway to my quarters. Do you understand Harry?"

Harry, too bewildered at what he had heard this afternoon, could do nothing but nod his head. Taking back his backpack, the professor unlocked the door, and gently pushed Harry into the hallway. Harry turned around to see Snape walk the opposite direction. Shaking his head, he retreated back to Gryffindor Tower.

 

The End.
Chapter 14: Friend's Don't Lie by Ghostwolfsbane

Previously on WTHIH

"You really are growing into quite a handsome young man. It is just a pity that your mother couldn't be here to see you" Severus looking out the window, swallowing back his emotion; tears welling in his eyes. Harry darted his eyes back and forth from the professor to the mirror he was holding.

Harry was confused of the man's behaviour towards him. To be fair, the teacher's behaviour hadn't changed from the holidays; only his own. Placing the mirror back down to the table, Harry sat back in his chair whilst slumping.

Severus snapped out of his past musings. Standing up from his seat, he began to pace back and forth.

"I am very disappointed with your school work Harry. Whilst you have not been a dumb child, I have seen better work than this from Longbottom. Your mother and James Potter did not die, for you to throw your life away. From now on, you will be confined after class to my personal quarters. I will help you with all of your homework if need be. Normally I spend the time marking papers, which I will be doing, however should you feel the need to ask me any questions you will do so.

I will hear no arguments from you, you can hate me all you want; however this is happening. By all means if you wish to leave straight after our 'tutoring sessions' by all means; leave. If you need someone to speak to, then you may stay, if you want to have some tea and play chess like we did during the summer; we will do so. But let me make this clear. We will improve those marks, no son of mine and Lily's will have sub-par results; is that understood?"

"Yes" Harry murmured.

"Yes Sir" Professor Snape repeated.

"There's no need to call me Sir, Professor" Severus Snape, known to be an extremely stern man, looked at Harry right in the eye. Waited 10 seconds, then burst out laughing whilst shaking his head.

Harry jumped when he heard his professors booming laugh, it was not malicious, but a hearty laugh.

The potions master unlocked the door whilst his laughing simmered down. Smiling and shaking his head back and forth he picked up Harry's backpack and handed it to the bewildered child.

"Take this and go, I should be docking points for that. However, as the last part of my conversation was as a father, not a teacher; I will let it slide. I believe I have gotten my point across. Our tutoring will be effective immediately. Meaning that tomorrow morning expect an own for me with directions on how to get to my quarters, as well as a password; for once you remember the pathway to my quarters. Do you understand Harry?"

Harry, too bewildered at what he had heard this afternoon, could do nothing but nod his head. Taking back his backpack, the professor unlocked the door, and gently pushed Harry into the hallway. Harry turned around to see Snape walk the opposite direction. Shaking his head, he retreated back to Gryffindor Tower.


WTHIH: Chapter 14

Friends don't lie

True to his word, Severus Snape did indeed send out an owl that morning to Harry. Sitting at the head table, Severus Snape watched as his son munched on a piece of toast. He noticed, that he was not sitting with his friends, who were a few seats down. Harry kept his head down, his eyebrows creased; deep in thought. Noticing this, Severus smiled to himself realising how much of Harry's mannerisms shadowed his own. As the time went to 8:15am a mass of owls entered the great hall dropping parcels near their owners. Hedwig, Harry's owl swooped close to his owner's head, dropping a letter.

Harry swallowed his last piece of toast, then grabbed his letter off the table. Looking at the front of the letter, Harry saw that there was no from address. Opening the letter quickly, he looked over the contents of the letter, looking at the final line to see "From, Severus". At reading this, Harry scrunched his shoulders inwards, and ducked his head over the letter. Looking up he noticed that Neville was looking at Harry and the letter in interest. At seeing this, Harry folded the letter, and stored it into his breast pocket. Grabbing one more piece of toast, the young Gryffindor scraped some jam onto it. Slinging his back over his shoulder he quickly left the Great Hall.

Shuffling off to an empty narrow corridor, Harry took out the letter, and sat on an empty ledge next to a large window. Squinting, Harry read the letter, line by line.

"Dear Harry

As I mentioned yesterday during your detention, I will for the foreseeable future be requesting your attendance in my quarters after school. Every weekday 4:00pm till 9:00, with a dinner break 6:00-7:00pm. Please bring all your homework for the day to complete, as well as past essays; as your marks were dreadful. Meet me in my office at 4pm sharp. Also, a reminder on what we discussed previously about your grades. I want you listening in class and completing your assignments to a high standard. I will find out from your teacher if this is not the case.

Regards,

Severus Snape"

Harry sat staring at the letter for what seemed a very long time. Every night, those words alone sending triggers to Harry's brain. What about quidditch? I don't want to spend all that time with HIM! Sulking, Harry crumpled the letter shoving it to the bottom of his bag. Walking to his first class, he stumbled across Hermione and Ron in the hallway. They both greeted Harry, dragging him over to their seats in Transfiguration. Hermione spent the lesson listening intently to every single word. Whilst Ron, spent his time trying and failing to accomplish the class assignment. Finding it more important to talk with Harry for the whole class. The words from Snape's letter rung in Harry's head. Trying to listen to his professor and complete his work, Harry tried to block out Ron's words. Why all of a sudden was he doing what professor Snape said? Did he want to keep his teacher off his back, or want to make his father proud? With the end of class, Harry rushed to pack his belongings and get to his other class.

"Harry! Why are you rushing, wait up!" Ron yelled through the hallway.

Hermione was shuffling through people trying to catch up with both the boys. Harry urgently wedged himself next to a Hufflepuff at the front of Charms class. When Ron and Hermione burst into the room wheezing from having practically run all the way to class. They scanned the classroom to find their friend, when their eyes landed on Harry sitting at the front of the classroom with a random Hufflepuff. Ron's eyes goggled, at this sight. Hermione rushed forward trying to get a seat directly behind Harry; Ron following in suit.

"Why did you run Harry?" asked Hermione.

"I just wanted to get a good seat is all" Harry whispered back, focusing all his attention on Professor Flitwick; as he had just started to take the roll.

Hermione looked at Ron bewildered, shrugging her shoulders she turned her attention to class. Ron on the other hand spent the whole class puzzled by Harry's strange behaviour. After class had concluded, Ron and Hermione went to recess whilst dragging Harry with them.

Sitting at the table, both Hermione and Ron started to interrogate him.

"What's wrong with you? You seem so jumpy, and you're always running to and from classes; your starting to remind me of Hermione…. OWW!" Ron rubbed his upper arm after Hermione had elbowed him.

"What Ron means to say, is that we haven't seen much of you lately? We miss you is all" Hermione reiterated.

"I'm not avoiding you, I've just got things on my mind" Harry said; half lying. He most certainly did have things on his mind. But he didn't know how to broach the subject. His fath… Snape has told him that he could mention their relationship to his friends. But he was worried how they would react, he still didn't know what to feel about the situation.

"Well, we haven't spoken in ages, you have been acting strangely all summer….." Hermione cut off Ron.

"We just want to make sure everything is alright" Hermione said in a sincere voice.

"Alright? No, it's not been alright. First, I start to actually like him, then I thought he hated me, now I HATE HIM…. I hate him" Harry finished in a whisper. Grabbing his bags, he literally ran from the Great Hall.

Hermione and Ron sat behind, looking at each other trying to decipher what on earth Harry had said.


Back in the Common Room, Hermione and Ron were whispering to each other. Meanwhile, Harry had entered the common room, and leaped up the stairs to the boy's dorms.

"What you're saying Hermione is ridiculous!"

"Well do you have another answer?" Hermione huffed.

"He could be talking about Sirius you know" Ron said, but not sounding totally convincing.

Just as Hermione was about to reply, they both shut their mouths when they saw Harry descend the stairs; his backpack slung across his shoulders.

"We will just ask him later" Ron said in finality.

They both went their own way, Hermione to the Library to do research for her Herbology Essay. Ron sitting by the window, watching the students flying on the Quidditch Pitch.


As Harry had walked down the stairs from the boy's dorms, he could hear Hermione and Ron's hushed voices. For once, he didn't care that they were talking about him behind his back. He had to go see Snape, and that was far more daunting and upsetting, then his two friends gossiping about him.

Walking down to the dungeons, gave Harry too much time to think and stew over his problems. He stood in front of Snape's office for 2 minutes before he had the courage to knock on the door. All of a sudden, the door swung open, Harry taking a step back in shock. Professor Snape was holding the door open, whilst a first year Slytherin all but ran from the office.

"Ah, Mr Potter on time I see, well there is a first time for everything; come in." Snape still holding the door open, waiting for Harry to enter.

Slowly, Harry entered the room, making sure to keep as much space from Snape as possible. Harry went to sit on the seat in front of the professor's desk. However, Snape did not sit at his desk, instead choosing to walk over to a door on the other side of the room. Pointing towards the door, Severus motioned for Harry to get up and follow him. Harry grabbed his bag and walked hesitantly towards the professor.

"Uh where are we going?" Harry asked.

"Did you not properly read my …"

"I did" Harry replied quickly.

"Well, we are going to my quarters, as stated. But first, hold out your hand" Severus took out his wand, waving it in a circle around Harry's right hand; and chanting in ancient runes. After a minute, Harry's hand glowed gold for a few seconds, then tingled for another minute.

"From now on, you may enter my office, and use this door here" Snape pointed to the door they were both standing in-front of.

"There is no password, the spell I just performed will allow you to enter at any time. However, if you were being coerced into entering; then it won't open." Pulling open the door, Severus motioned for Harry to enter first. After walking down a narrow corridor, they finally stumbled onto another door. Harry twisted the knob and opened the door to be quite surprised at his surroundings.

Severus moved around Harry, to walk to the cloak rack. He slowly un buttoned his robes, hanging them up. Harry meanwhile was taking in his surroundings. While the room was not bright, it was not dark either. The walls were a mix of dark stone, and a light grey paint. They were standing in the lounge room, and the next room being the kitchen. Further down there was a hallway, which went to Snape's bedroom, bathroom and spare room. Severus had decided to sit on the one and only armchair in the room; Harry slowly shuffling his way over to the couch.

"So, why did you run out of the Great Hall today?" Snape asked curiously.

"I didn't run" Harry said flinching.

"Well, something upset you. Is it your friends? I don't think I've seen you sit with them once this term."

"Well, I've got nothing to say to them" Harry said sulkily.

"Really? Well that's quite unfortunate. Remember when I told you during our last detention together to keep your friends close, and to not push them away? Well, so quick we are to forget"

"I'm not QUICK TO FORGET" Harry yelled the last part.

The professor merely raised his eyebrows at his son's insolence. Deciding not to say anything, the professor slowly stood up and looked down his nose at Harry.

"Come with me, young man" The professor said in a low voice. Harry on the other hand gulped, and slowly followed behind Snape.

Severus Snape led Harry into the small corridor, when he stopped abruptly; causing Harry to almost bump into him. The professor opened the door, and motioned Harry to step inside. Harry winced before entering, wondering how many cauldrons the professor was going to make him clean for his rudeness. Upon entering the room, whilst it was chilly; like all parts of the dungeon. This room was shrouded in light. There must have been more than 20 candles in the room, it gave it a very calming atmosphere.

"So, what do you think?" The professor said, bringing Harry out of his thoughts suddenly.

Harry looked from the room to his professor, then back to look at his surroundings. In the corner there was a very nice oak desk. Which contained spare parchment, a few quills and an ink pot. There were a few cupboards along the right side near the desk, which was also the same wood as the desk. The other side contained a very comfortable looking canopy bed. The duvet was a dark grey with blue trimmings, similar to the ones at his old bedroom… Harry's mind wandered. Was it really still his bedroom? Harry thought back to his room at Spinners End. Looking around the room again, Harry furrowed his brow; which closely resembled his fathers.

"I don't understand..." Harry started, but was soon silenced by Snape.

"I tried to make it as similar to your room at Spinners End"

Harry's ears perking when he heard the professor still call his room "his room"!

"I know that right now we are not seeing eye to eye. And if I'm honest I don't know if we ever will again. I am truly sorry from keeping our relationship from you. But I am willing to make it work. So, I suppose this room is my way of saying that I would like to spend more time with you. I won't lie to you, when I gave you our remedial lessons after class it was with the hope that I could spend more time with you; whilst of coarse trying to help you improve your studies." The professor walked over to the desk chair and sat down.

"I won't force you to ever stay down here, but this is your room now; so come and go as you please. I hope everything is to your liking, through that door is an ensuite. I know that you have been having problems with your friends, you may come here to spend some time alone if you wish; I won't ask why. But if you ever feel the need to talk about anything, know that I will be here to listen to you." With his final word, Severus stood up ready to leave the room.

Harry, Severus noticed looked to be in a daze. He blinked his eyes slowly, looking at the room closely. Their eyes locked, and Severus was instantly concerned, Harry's eyes were filled to the brim with tears. Severus could tell that Harry's breathing had picked up, and he looked around frantically. Severus stepped forward ready to guide the boy out of the room to have some calming draught, when Harry bolted out of the room.

Severus was closely at the boy's heels. Harry had grabbed his backpack from the sitting area and ran for the door. Severus slowed down however, once he heard Harry's strangled voice, "I need to be alone". And with that, Severus stayed back, looking at the now empty corridor. Had it been too much, giving the boy a room in his quarters? Surely not. With a sigh, Severus went to the kitchen to make himself a tea in silence.


Harry ran at top speed, all the way to the common room. He bumped into someone at full force knocking them over. Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, Harry realised that he had bumped into Hermione. She hastily tried to pick up all her library books, whilst Ron ran from down the hall to help.

"That was some hit! what were you running that fast for Harry?" Ron asked curiously.

Once they had gathered all of Hermione's books, Ron noticed that there was something off about Harry.

"What's wrong mate? You don't look too good" Ron asked. Hermione now, also looked at Harry with concern.

"It's nothing" Harry said looking at the floor, a lone tear trickling down his face.

"It doesn't seem like nothing, please don't push us away! Tell us so we can help fix things" Hermione said now pulling and shaking Harry's robe.

"There is nothing you can do fix this" Harry said saddened by the reality of his situation.

"Come on, there's an empty classroom, you can tell us everything." Ron pulled Hermione's books into his arms and shuffled everyone into the room.

It seemed like forever until Harry started to talk. But once he started, he couldn't stop. He told them everything about the summer. The letters, the fact that he had stayed at Snape's house, how it had then been burnt down by the Death Eaters. All of Snape's and his belongings being destroyed, and them having to move into Spinners End. Then finally, how Harry had found out that his real father was in fact Snape. He had to tell them over and over again that it was not a ruse, it was in fact real. After an hour of talking, Harry hunched back and waited for his friends to say something, anything.

"You knew about this the whole summer and didn't tell us?!" Hermione said, tears filling her eyes.

"I told you, it wasn't safe at that tim..." Harry was cut off by Ron's harsh voice.

"Yeh, but you just said that Snape said it was alright for you to tell us in detention the other day... So why didn't you?!" Harry's whole body at this point was now shaking.

"I don't know!" Harry said frantically, he stood up and started to pace up and down the classroom.

"I thought he was a git, but now… After the summer things started to change. Then I got angry at him, but he's made it abundantly clear that he wants a relationship with me. And I don't know what to do!"

"Well if you had thought to ask one of us, for our opinion… maybe we could have helped earlier. But don't worry, obviously you don't think us that good of friends. Come on Hermione lets go." Ron took Hermione's books with him and flew out of the classroom. Hermione got up from her seat and walked to the door with her shoulders slumped.

"I'm not angry Harry, I'm just hurt you didn't want to tell us. I thought that what you said before… in the common room. I thought your big secret was that you were gay! But now I know better… it was about Profess.. your father. We are your friends, you should have told us. Know that we would never judge you." Hermione stated.

"oh, so you weren't judging me before?!" Harry retorted with tears once again welling up in his eyes.

"It's just… Friends don't lie to each other". And with that being said, Hermione too left the room. Leaving Harry with a tear stained face.


Severus sat quietly on his sofa, holding a mug infused with his favourite tea. He was sitting there stewing over what happened tonight with Harry. When suddenly, a resounding bang reverberated through his apartment. Standing up immediately, Severus went to see what the noise was. When all of a sudden Harry came bursting through the door in full speed. He stopped immediately once he spotted the professor a few feet away.

"What is wrong, what is the meaning of this?!" The professor barked in worry. Harry had all of a sudden slowed down his breathing, and straightened his spine; trying to appear confident but failing to do so.

"Did you not say just an hour ago that I can come and go from my room, and you won't even ask what's the matter?" Harry lifted an eyebrow.

'Well… Yes…" The professor said, remembering what he had in-fact told the boy.

With his answer, Harry went to his room, then slammed the door shut. Severus still stood in the same spot not knowing what to say… or do.

Walking over to Harry's bedroom, he knocked on the door then entered. Just as he was about to ask a question, he was cut off by his son.

"Look, I got into a fight with Ron and Hermione. I hate them, and don't want to see them. I'm gonna stay at home and in my room this weekend; if that's alright with you!" Harry saying the last part sarcastically. And with that, Harry fluffed the top pillow of his bed, took his glasses off then flopped onto his bed. The professor heard a quiet, 'goodnight, shut the door plz'. Without another comment, Severus listened to Harry, and quietly shut the door.


When the professor went back to finish his tea, he could not help but feel a twinge of hopefulness. His son had gotten into a fight with his friends, and instead of fleeing to Gryffindor Tower. He decided to come and stay in his room, at home. And at that final thought, Severus' heart melted, and he started to feel that there was hope once again.

The End.
Chapter 15: Why did he have to fall by Ghostwolfsbane

 

 

Hogwarts: Slytherin Dungeons: Professor Snape’s Quarters

 

Upon waking up in the morning Harry could not tell what time it was. Gone was the usual stream of light that crept through the curtains surrounding his bed. Wherever he was now, there were no curtains drawn around, there was, however a soft flicker of light emanating from a lamp on the wall. Rubbing his eyes, Harry reached over to the bedside table on the left to grab his glasses. 

 

“Ah!!” Harry said out loud. He fell back onto his bed and threw his quilt cover above his head. He remembered everything now! How he had fought with his friends, then yelled at the professor…his dad. And most importantly, how he refused to sleep in the Gryffindor dorms; only wanting to spend the night in his room here. There was a faint knock on the door, which was slightly muffled as Harry was under the covers; “Harry” he could faintly hear.

 

“Mhmmm What?”. He found his covers being lifted unceremoniously to the side.

 

“Now, that is not a good tone to have in the morning” the Professor smirked whilst scowling; if that was possible. Although it seemed as if the Professor realised his tone, because he laid the quilt back onto the boy, then retreated to sit in the chair opposite the bed.  

 

“What happened last night Harry?” the Professor asked. He watched as Harry groaned, then threw his quilt again over his head. The Professor sighed, once again getting up to slide the quilt down, in order to see the boy’s face. 

 

“It was awful! They are so stupid, I hate them; can’t they just be happy for me?!”. Harry spoke brokenly as he developed hiccups whilst crying. Wiping his tears onto the quilt (which left Snape cringing), Harry stated that he wanted to be left alone and that he was not leaving his bedroom.

 

Severus, wanting to leave the boy to stew, left him with his thoughts. 

 


The Professor had been sending food to the boy’s room the whole Saturday, yet Harry never left his room longer than to use the toilet. And when Sunday came, the boy did the same. Never leaving his room, until it reached 4pm; the professor had had enough. He had stormed into the boy’s room and demanded that he stop with his sooky behaviour.

 

‘Are you a 5-year-old? No, I thought not. Get out of bed this instance! Have a nice long bath, then we will have an early dinner together’. 

 

The professor had yanked the covers off, then stormed out of the room. He waited on the couch, grinding his teeth; however finally the boy had stepped out of his room. Relaxing now, the Professor went to the fireplace and floo’d the kitchens. 

Once the boy was out of the shower, the table was made; and they began to eat. All that could be heard was cutlery clinking, Harry was still silent. However, the Professor was having none of it.

 

“So, I saw your little group of friends in the corridor earlier today” The Professor stated. He was satisfied when he realised that this had provoked a response from Harry.

 

“What?! What did they say” Harry stated frantically.

 

Severus, however took his time to reply. Firstly, he ate a piece of bread with his food. Then taking a rather large gulp of water. 

 

“Well, they were both lurking outside of my office, and I told them to leave of course (Taking another long sip of water). They wanted to see you and to apologise…” Harry interrupted.

 

“Well I don’t want their stupid apology, they hurt me, and I don’t want to see them”. Severus was surprised that Harry had stated that out loud. He felt sorry for the boy, all this drama was all his fault. If he had never had his memories taken away, then he would have raised Harry; and his friends would know no different…

 

“Well, you will have to see them unfortunately, you do go to the same school, and live in the same tower. Now I know what you’re thinking Harry, whilst it was very nicehaving you sulking around here this weekend. You cannot permanently live down here. Others will become suspicious when they see that you have stopped living in Gryffindor’s tower. You may, however frequent down here if you wish. Maybe sleeping down here on Friday nights, you could tell your housemates that you were needed by your aunt and uncle. However, I wouldn’t advise it. It is best that you speak to your friends, get everything off of your chest; if you haven’t already done so. If you wish to no longer be friends with them, that is fine; just know that you may one day regret having them out of your life.” The professor looked off into the distance lost in thought. 

 

The night went by quietly. They both sat on the couch reading, the Professor marking whilst Harry completed his homework. When Harry was in his bedroom that night, he looked around and sighed in content. He had his uniform on the back of his chair, and he wondered if this is what it was like for muggle children. Laying their clothes on their chairs in their homes, then walking to school. It was funny, Harry thought whilst he slithered into bed, he really liked staying down here.

 


 

The next day Harry walked very early to the great hall for breakfast, as to avoid being seen by any Slytherins. He kept his distance from his friends that whole day, then the next, then the day after. Until it had been a whole week and Harry had not spoken to neither Ron or Hermione. Harry chose to sit with Neville, or alone; and if he was honest, he didn’t mind the peace and quiet. He took time to focus on his studies, as his father had wanted. However, he had chosen to not take his father’s advice of talking to his friends. 

 

On Friday night, Harry was on the quidditch pitch practicing for Gryffindors game on Saturday. He let all of his frustrations out on the field during practice, yelling when his teammates did anything wrong. He was in a particularly sour mood and chose not to speak to Ron unless completely necessary. Harry thought that if Ron did horribly tomorrow, he could always put McLagan in the role instead; he smirked at that thought (it would fix everything). Little known to Harry, his father was sitting in the stands watching the whole practice. 

 

Severus Snape sat there quietly shaking his head in sadness. How much his son resembled him, he thought sadly. His son was supposed to take on the good characteristics not the bad ones. As he watched his son get angry and scream at all of his players, he realised just how stressful this whole situation must be for the boy. When practice had ended Severus lingered on the stands still in thought. When the wind had just become chilly the professor stood up ready to return to the castle; when he jumped in fright.

 

“Merlin Harry you scared me!” Snape said clutching his chest.

 

“You know, I saw you sitting in the stands for a while now. If anyone saw you, they will think that your spying for Slytherin, in order to gain insight into our strategies.”

 

“The only thing that I am spying on is my son and wanting to know whether he is alright. Although from your display tonight; screaming at your team-mates; you clearly are not alright. 

 

At this, Harry sighed. He looked around the pitch one more time before sitting down. He patted the bench next to him; waiting for his father to sit. 

 

“I couldn’t stand watching Ron out there, I just felt so angry. He’s been trying to catch me in the hallways; the same with Hermione. I just need them to understand that I just want to be left alone.”

 

“Why Harry, we have had this conversation time and time again. Build a bridge, and move on, there is no need to be this petty. They want to make things right, and if you don’t want to speak to them ever again; have the decency to tell them.” Snape said whilst looking into the distance.

 

Harry looked back and forth from his father and the quidditch pitch. He kept opening his mouth, wanting to speak but did not know how to convey what he was feeling. The professor stood up and told Harry to follow him back to the castle. However, Harry quickly shot out his arm to stop his father from leaving.

 

“Wait! Do you think they would make me choose?” Harry asked nervously.

 

“Choose, choose what?” Severus asked confused.

 

“Make me choose between them or you? Because I don’t think I would choose them” Harry said, with a tight-lipped smile.

 

Severus at hearing this could not help but to give his son a hug. He could not believe that in such a short time, this boy had come to care for him so much. Whilst patting his sons head, there was a rustling sound nearby. At hearing this, they both sprang apart, Severus whipping out his wand and illuminating the area. Moving his wand from left to right, they both relaxed after seeing that no one was there. Not wanting to jinx themselves they both walked back to the castle. 

 

After saying goodnight to his father, Harry walked back to the Gryffindor common room. Upon arriving Harry’s eyes darted around, trying to see if he needed to dodge his two friends again. Seeing that the coast was clear he walked briskly to his room, grabbed his pyjamas and toiletry bag. After a long shower, Harry headed straight to bed knowing that he would have his work cut out for him tomorrow. 

 


 

Great Hall - Quidditch Match

 

Chanting could be heard coming from the great hall on Saturday morning. It was Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw, and there was definite animosity between the two teams. Gryffindor could be seen throwing quaffles to each other. Harry instead opted to have a big breakfast and catch up on some reading for school. 

 

‘I really need to stop arguing with Ron and Hermione, I’ve fallen behind in my work’ Harry thought to himself as he chewed on a piece of raisin toast. Whilst he continued to read chapter 39 in his charm’s textbook, out of the corner of his eye he could tell Hermione was looking at him. As they made eye contact, Hermione got up from her spot on the bench and started walking over to Harry. At seeing this, he quickly made a grab for two more slices of toast and closed his book with a snap. He all but ran the other direction, and out of the great hall away from Hermione. Not seeing any point in going back to the common room, Harry made his way down to the quidditch pitch, to the changing rooms.

 

After an hour, the other Gryffindor quidditch players made their way into the tent. Harry made sure to give a thorough speech on what he expected from each and every player.

 

“I know it’s raining, and two of our team members had to pull out due to the flu; but I still think we have a chance at winning. We need to not only play like we did during practice, but also use the other teams’ weaknesses against them. All chasers make sure that within the first 20 minutes of the game you get as many goals as possible. Then only then will I really go after the snitch. In the meantime, I’ll try to distract Cho; and chase the ‘snitch’. All right let’s go!”. The others cheered with Harry.

 

As they made it onto the pitch the weather only worsened. What started off as a few sprinkles of rain, had now turned into a torrential downpour. This however did not stop the Gryffindor team from winning 5 goals within the first 15 minutes. Harry had successfully distracted Cho, and was flying around like a maniac, pretending that the snitch was only a few meters from his fingers. 

 

“And another 10 points to Gryffindor” Screamed the new commentator.

 

At hearing this, Harry performed the hand gesture that the Gryffindor team knew to be the signal. With having scored now 9 goals in total, Harry had stopped flying and was now squinting, trying to spot a tiny spot of gold. One minute later to Harry’s relief he spotted the Golden Snitch flying just over the Slytherin stands. Flying as quick as possible, Harry zoomed past all other quidditch players, dodging each of them. Cho, at this point had figured out what was about to happen. She pushed on as quick as she could, knowing that if she did not catch the snitch, Ravenclaw was out of the draw to win the quidditch house cup. 

 

There was a stroke of lightening, which made Cho briefly close her eyes. However, when she opened them, she was only a few meters from the Slytherin stand, and riding straight toward Draco Malfoy. Looking at his dumb struck face, Cho quickly swerved to avoid the blonde, which found her crashing into the green and silver tarp. She tumbled, and eventually lost balance on her broom. Falling onto the sandy ground, she barely could stand up. As Madam Hooch came rushing onto the field with Madam Pomfrey, Cho looked up to see all the Gryffindors cheering. The last thing she saw before she blacked out, was Harry holding the Golden Snitch in the air, whilst being lifted on top of his team player’s shoulders.

 


Gryffindor Common Room – After Party

 

After being carried back into the castle, Harry made a beeline for the showers; not wanting to attend the party. However, there was not much to do to avoid the celebrations. As soon as Harry exited the showers, he walked into his dorm room, only to have Dean loudly cheering and congratulating him... Pushing him to come outside and drink some butterbeer, or firewisky with everyone; Harry of coarse declined. Closing the drapes around his bed, Harry took out his transfiguration textbook and began reading. Looking up from his book, Harry was struggling to deal with the noise. He took his pillow and scrunched it over his ears and rocked back and forth; trying to block the noise.

 

Not able to concentrate, Harry put his book down on the side table and fell onto his back with a thump. Staring up at the ceiling Harry zoned out for about 30 minutes. Without realising, the seeker had drifted off into sleep, when he was rudely awakened by a crash; then laughter. As he was jolted awake, Harry’s heart thumped in pain; growling in for being shocked awake. Harry sat up quickly, wanting to go downstairs and reprimand everyone. But the second he thought about his future actions, it made him laugh. 

 

“Aghh I’m turning into my dad” Harry thought in amusement. His amusement then turned to disbelief. Hadn’t his father told him that he could stay in his room no questions asked. Harry smiled like a Cheshire cat, knowing that in a short 10-minute walk, he would be sleeping in a nice quite environment. 

 

Grabbing his invisibility cloak, which he had gotten back from his dad; he wrapped it around his now tall frame. Just as he smothered himself with the cloak, and opened the dorm’s door; Ron walked in.

 

 

“Whaaa?” Ron said to an empty room. He looked around, knowing that he felt a tug on the door, pulling it open with more force than he gave to open it.

 

He peered at Harry’s now messy bed, knowing that Harry was under his invisibility cloak.

 

“Come on mate, come out from under there. I know it’s you Harry” Ron said in an exasperated tone.

 

Harry poked only his head out from under the invisibility cloak.

“Look, I just want to get out of here for a while; get some peace and quiet”.

 

And with that being said, Harry pulled the material over his head, and pushed past Ron, running down the stairs. Harry was unaware that Ron was on his heels with Hermione in tow. Once the Gryffindor Common Rooms entrance had opened, Ron and Hermione jumped out and pounced on Harry; tugging the cloak off.

 

“Oy!” Harry yelled, snatching his cloak back from Hermione’s hands.

 

“Can’t you both just leave me alone. I just want some peace and quiet, I just want to RELAX!” Harry yelled at them.

 

“We just want to talk; you have been dodging us for too long. After speaking to Professor Snape, we felt so bad. Please, let’s just put all this behind us. Ron doesn’t even care that the Professor is your father. Do you Ron?” Hermione nudged Ron, trying to quickly brush the tears away that had fallen onto her cheeks. 

 

“Eh, yeah mate. It’s ok, I mean. At least your dad’s not You Know Who, ay?” Ron said nervously. 

 

Harry breathed in and out, this helped in calming him down. Looking at both of his distraught friends, Harry could not take it any longer.

 

“Look I’m sorry guys. This has all just been too much for me. I just need space; I’m only just getting to know my dad. I want to spend as much time with him and get to know him. And for the first time ever, someone wants to get to know me. And I know what you’re going to say Hermione, but Sirius doesn’t count. He wants to see James in me… 

 

You said that you guys wanted to be there for me the other day. Well you can, once I get a letter back from Sirius. I finally told him you know, that Snape’s my dad. He probably is going to hate me; which is really going to hurt. But I know Sna… my dad’s there for me you know; it’s a good feeling” Harry said drifting off in thought.

He stepped forward and firstly hugged Hermione, then Ron. 

 

“Oh Harry, of course we will be there for you. And I think you will be surprised, Sirius will still love you, no matter who your father is.” Hermione said. Ron was shaking his head in agreeance, however his facial features leaked uncertainty.  

 

“Well eh. Have fun, or eh, have a good night’s rest at your... dads.” Ron said nervously, reminding Harry of Neville. 

 

“Yes Harry, and we will speak to you tomorrow” Hermione said smiling.

 

“Yeh, and I can’t wait for you to tell us what it’s like sleeping in a coffin” Ron smirked, then jabbed Harry in the shoulder playfully.

 

Ron’s jab, however, was more like a push. Harry saw both of his friends faces, quickly morphing from happy to shock; then fear. He could feel it at his navel, a tug. He was falling, tumbling down the moving stairs. The only relief he received was that final fall, accompanied by a crack; then everything went black. 

 


Grimmauld Place

 

Sirius Black could be seen yelling and throwing furniture back and forth. Remus looked on in shock, concern; then sadness. Sirius yelled the same thing over and over again, ‘Why, I hate him, I’m going to kill him’. Remus attempted to calm down Harry’s godfather however, nothing would stop Sirius’ hysterics that night. His anger turned to sadness, Sirius finally broke down and sat on the staircase crying; clutching Harry’s letter in his right hand.

 


 

Hogwarts Hospital Wing

 

Upon waking up, Harry’s vision was blurred. Leaning over he grabbed his glasses and put them on his face slowly. He had an intense pain on the side of his head, and the light from the room was not helping. Looking around the hospital wing, Harry saw that on the left-hand side Cho was sleeping in the hospital bed close to the window. Cracking his neck, Harry leaned over to his right side. Sitting in the chair to his right was Professor Snape, the man sleeping in an uncomfortable position.

 

Harry looked at the Professor then scrunched up his eyebrows. 

 

‘What the hell is Snape doing sleeping next to my bed’ Harry thought.

 

Madam Pomfrey was in her office analysing the piece of paper in front of her. They were the results she had collected from Harry earlier. She looked at the paper and felt a twinge of sadness at the results. The two words written under diagnoses, was bound to tear Severus apart.

 

 

 

 

Harry Potter – Medical Examination

 

Day

Monday

 

Time of Diagnoses

10:58pm

 

Diagnoses

-      Muscle damage

-      Bruising

-       Memory Loss

 

 

 

 

 

 

The End.
End Notes:
Dun, Dun, DUN! Just as everyone was starting to get along PLOT TWIST!
Chapter 16: Goodbye... I Love You by Ghostwolfsbane

Chapter 17: Goodbye I love you

 

 

Hospital Wing

As the sun filtered into the hospital wing at Hogwarts. Harry Potter was slowly being stirred awake by the sun filtering in over his bed. Blinking awake, Harry squinted trying to get his bearings. As he leaned over to reach for his glasses on the bedside table, he could see perfectly clearly; he no longer needed glasses Harry thought strangely. Sitting up instantly, Harry inspected his fingers, he could see every single wrinkle and freckle. His eyes moved around the room, drinking in every detail. There were a few students sleeping in the beds further down from his bed. He turned to his right and froze. He blinked a few times, then rubbed his eyes trying to see if he was dreaming or not. He wriggled over to the right side of the bed in order to lean over and properly inspect the man.

 

‘What the hell is Snape doing sleeping in a chair next to my bed!’ Harry thought. 

 

The professor was sleeping with a slightly pained expression, although it looked much more peaceful from his normal scowl. The creasing in his eyes and forehead gave him the look of being extremely stressed, even in his sleep; Harry analysed. Without realising it, Harry was leaning closer and closer to the professor. The professor stirred scaring Harry, which led to him wobbling on the edge of the bed. Not able to hold on, Harry reached for the closest thing to break his fall. However, the closest thing was the potions master. As he latched onto the man’s robes, the professor was jolted awake. He looked down to see Harry half on the floor and half in his lap.

 

“Harry!” Severus yelled in surprise and concern.

 

Harry let go of his professor as if he had been burned; scrambling to his feet. He hopped onto the bed and crawled to the furthest end trying to get away from the professor. Harry was sure that the professor would bite his head off or make a scathing remark.

 

“What were you doing? Listen to me…. Forget that!? You need to get checked over by Madame Pomfrey!” The professor jumped up, and glided swiftly in pursuit of finding the nurse.

 

‘What the fuck’ Harry thought, his mouth agape. Had he died and found himself in another Universe?! Since when did the professor care at all about his wellbeing…. Well, there had been a few times, but no, this was different. Leaning back onto the bed frame, Harry looked wearily into the direction where Snape left; waiting for his return.

 

 

Severus Snape’s POV

 

‘Where on earth is that infernal witch’ Snape thought as he went to find the healer. Harry’s behaviour had been most unusual; the staring that is. But the way Harry flinched away reminded him of the old Harry; this caused Severus to shudder.

 

“Severus, is everything alright?” Madame Pomfrey asked as she rounded the corner, a piece of parchment clutched in her hand. 

 

“It’s Harry. He woke up and fell off the bed. He seems frightened and mildly delirious” Snape said, looking at the healer with concern.

 

“Severus, I think we had best go to my office; we need to speak” ushering him in.


Healers office

 

“Last night, I did a full diagnosis on Harry. He was mildly concussed, however after all the potions I gave him, his concussion should be gone. He does however have severe tissue damage in his frontal lobe. There is no easy way for me to tell you this, but where the damage is, it affects his memories and his ability to recollect. I think that it would be wise for you to prepare yourself, for when you go back out there Severus. I have studied this sort of brain damage before; it is unlikely he will be able to remember certain memories. You need to be prepared for the fact that he might not remember you... as his father”. At the look Professor Snape was giving, Madame Pomfrey walked over to the man, and put her hand on his shoulder to console him. 

 

Severus Snape was a very guarded man, and never revealed his feelings. However, in this moment, he did not care. Shrugging his shoulder to rid himself of the healer’s hand, he walked towards the window. Looking out to the sky, he tried to calm his breathing; lest he have a panic attack. In a broken and cracking voice, Severus addressed Poppy.

 

“Can you please go out and check on Harry.” She waited a moment longer, then sighed; leaving the room to go check on her patient.

 

Once he knew he was alone again, he sat back down in his chair and let his head fall into his hands. He tried to compose himself, but it was all for nothing. His wall of reserve crumbled, only having enough time to quickly cast a muffliato on the room. Crumbling, he began to sob. Full hearted pained sobs escaped the professor. A lesson that Severus learned time and time again, was that life was not fair. How he and his son had come so far, from hating the boy to loving him. And once again, any form of happiness was yanked out from right under his nose. Not wanting to see the look of anger and the fear on his son’s face, he decided to go to the headmaster. In times of true doubt, the headmaster (and on occasion the deputy head mistress) always offered good advice.

 

Grabbing the floo powder he left with a swirl, leaving Poppy Pomfrey with Harry Potter.

 

 

Headmasters Office

 

As Severus floo’d through, the headmaster was sipping a cup of tea whilst reading the daily prophet. However, upon noticing the disgruntled professor he immediately stopped drinking his tea.

 

“Severus, whatever is the matter?!” Dumbledore enquired.

 

Severus paced on the carpet whilst recounting everything that happened, and what the healer had said. The headmaster sat quietly observing the young man in front of him. Ordering them both some tea, the headmaster offered Severus a cup.

 

“Do you honestly think that tea is what I require in this very moment?!” Severus yelled frantically. 

 

He walked briskly over to a cabinet and grabbed a half empty bottle of brandy. He did not wait for the headmaster to hand him a glass, he merely drank straight from the bottle. 

 

Thirty minutes had passed, and the professor had not uttered a word. He sat on the headmaster’s steps silently, looking at nothing in particular; the bottle of brandy down to its last drop. Looking up at the headmaster for the first time in a while, Severus stated in a defeated tone.

 

“He’s a good boy, he doesn’t deserve this. I can honestly say that we have had a much better relationship these past few weeks. Do you know what he told be yesterday? He said that if he had to choose between his friends or me; he would choose me. How have I been so lucky to end up with such a good child?” Severus said wiping his eyes with the sleeve of his robes.

 

The headmaster looked at the professor and smiled. “You have come to care for Harry, haven’t you Severus?” At hearing this, Severus stood up abruptly.

 

“Care? CARE? Of course, I care for the boy. I LOVE HIM” Severus yelled the last part and stumbled over the steps in a drunken sway.

 

Albus Dumbledore looked at Severus who was rocking from side to side in his chair. The headmaster did not know what to do in this situation. So, he called Madame Pomfrey who gave the headmaster a hangover tonic. 

 

Before the headmaster could add a few drops to the tea he was about to pour Severus. The door burst open, revealing two young Gryffindor students. Ron and Hermione skidded to a holt, having seen that the room contained two professors.

 

Hermione began to apologise to the headmaster for interrupting when Ron pulled on Hermione’s sleeve in fright. Ron had locked eyes with Severus, who had now vacated his chair and was walking over to the Gryffindors menacingly. 

 

“You two! It’s your fault!” Severus began to say in an eerie voice.

 

“HOW COULD YOU! YOU IDIOTS PUSHED HIM AND NOW HE DOESN’T REMEMBER ANYTHING!!” Severus was now openly yelling at the two, who were now cowering and backed into the corner.

 

The headmaster quickly stepped between the students and Severus.

 

“That’s enough Severus, it was an accident…”

 

“Accident, so be it. But the boy has brain damage! NO number of apologies will get the boy’s memories back.” Severus spat out.

 

“We’re sorry, so sorry professor” Hermione blubbered, trying but failing to hold back her tears.

 

“Just go” Severus said in a choked voice.

 

“Excuse me Severus, but I do believe this is my office. Why were you two….” The headmaster was cut off by Severus’ quick jabbing tone.

 

“Fine, I am going anyway. I will be in my lab trying to fix these two’s mistakes.” Severus pointed at both of the students; then quickly fled the office.

 

With a sigh the Headmaster turned to the two students and closed his office door.

 

 

 

Next Day

Potion Master’s private lab (Dungeons)

 

“Stupid… bunch of…. Mhmmmmff…” Severus muttered to himself as he threw various ingredients into the potion he was currently brewing.

 

Severus had 5 large tomes stacked next to him on the work bench. The professor had been up all night reading about memories, and how to fix brain damage. So far, the professor had found 3 potions that could potentially help Harry. Severus had simultaneously brewed all three potions, and a fourth was still brewing. The potions master was quite clever at his job and would often create his own concoctions. 

 

The fourth potion was the one that Severus was paying the most attention to; due to its volatile ingredients. The fourth potion Severus had come up with out of desperation. A day had gone by, and the first three potions had not helped Harry in the slightest. This left the potions master more depressed than ever. Harry of course could not understand why the potions master looked at him the way he did; it incensed the boy. The professor would become angry, sad and dangerously silent all in the span of 5 minutes.

 

Severus had currently been brewing for 10 hours nonstop. After his other three potions had failed to work, this final potion would most certainly help the boy. It was a mix of Severus’ own creation and an old potion found in a second-hand book Snape had found years ago in Germany. It was a dark book, which many of the potions could be used for evil. However, in this case, Severus did not consider it’s use to be for evil. This potion was very obscure, which left him feeling uneasy. However, there was no time for these feelings. All Severus knew, was that he wanted his son to remember everything even if this meant that he remembered nothing.

 

This potion would quite certainly restore Harry’s memories, and remove all brain injury. The negative to this potion is that, said brain injury would then transfer to another; in this case Severus. That was the cruel part, the old potion was supposed to transfer the injury and cause the other person immense pain. Severus had, of course, tweaked it. The potion would transfer the injury but with little to no pain; due to a sedative Severus had allowed for. What would transfer, would be the potion master’s inability to remember that his son; is in-fact his son. It was cruel, but Severus had seen how happy the boy had been, and he had faith that Harry would be able to break through his cold exterior once again.

 

After many hours of brewing, Severus was spent. He was sitting in his kitchen wiping his face with a kitchen tea towel. He reached over and picked up his quill and parchment. And he began to write.

 

Dear Harry,

 

I can only imagine how furious you are with me, but there really is no point in sulking about. In the past few months, I have not only come to know the real Harry but come to truly love you as a son; which I never thought possible. When I regained my memories back from your mother, my initial feelings were sorrow, pain, anger and betrayal. All of which I suppose you will be feeling at this moment as you read this letter. Maybe one day, once you have your own children, you will understand that you will do anything in order for them to be happy. The past day I saw you in the hospital wing, you were staring at the ceiling; sighing every 10 minutes.

 

I saw you truly sad. Of course, you were sad when your friends didn’t approve of us; but this looked like much more. It looked as if you had lost someone very dear. Your mind couldn’t remember, but your heart could. I write this letter as a sort of instruction manual. The potion I have ingested (which was once quite dangerous) I tweaked to make it safe; however, it still has more than a few downsides.

 

Firstly, I will not be able to remember that you are my son. I will have no recollection of the time we spent together over the last few months. And I dare say, I will also, once again, not be able to recollect your mother’s and I relationship. The leaf, that your mother had saved all my memories on was gone the second I ingested it. All those memories of Lily and I are currently in my mind. Once I take the potion, they will be permanently removed.

 

I loved your mother very much and miss her more than you could understand. But, as a father, I love you even more. Which is why I have gone to these lengths. I have wronged you in so many ways throughout your Hogwarts tenor. Yet you, like your mother have a profound ability to forgive. 

 

My instructions you must be wondering. Are to sit down with me privately in my office, when you will give me this letter to read. But before you offer me this letter, I want you to tell future me the following. 

I will write dot points for everything to run smoothly.

1.    Your memory loss happened because of a mixture of your own creation and the OERNELIM potion.

2.    You wanted to reverse my memory loss, which I previously had.

3.    You did so because of my mother

 

I should think the final phrase will be enough to peak my interest. Keeping in mind I will at this point still be thinking that James Potter is your father. I do believe that it will come as quite a shock to me, that you are in-fact my son. 

 

Be warned that I will most likely think that what you are saying is a joke. Which is when you will offer this letter for me to read. I have put on it certain enchantments, to make it indestructible.

 

It might take me a day, two days or even a month. Please be persistent and pester me as much as possible. Even if I turn you away, you will know deep down that I love you. And please try again.

 

The me you knew will most certainly be gone. But I believe that future me will love you just as much. It will be a shocking realisation, but definitely a good one. 

 

It has been a privilege getting to know you, and I could not be any prouder of you. 

 

With this final word, I bid you adieu.

 

I love you,

 Harry be strong.”

 


 

The letters were given to Madam Pomfrey, and the potion was put into Harry’s stomach by magic as he slept. Severus brushed his fingers through Harry’s soft hair. He sat beside the boy’s bed for the next hour. Staring and holding his son’s hand. Once the clock chimed 11:00pm, Severus sniffed, and stood up. He leaned over Harry’s bed and kissed the boy’s forehead right where his scar is. He did not care that Madam Pomfrey had walked in and could see him crying. With a final look at his son, the potions master sighed and walked back to the dungeons.

 

Once he was in his quarters he showered and cleaned up his apartment. He looked in the corner where Harry’s bedroom door was. Gone were the boy’s clothes, but the room and bed were still there. This was done in the hopes that when Harry told him the truth, there would be an actual physical reminder. There was after all a Gryffindor Banner hanging up in the room.

 

After brushing his teeth, Severus was walking back to his bedroom when he spotted a medium wooden box on the lounge room table. In both shock and relief Severus quickly rushed said box back upstairs to the Hospital wing for the Madame to keep in her possession; along with Harry’s letter.

Inside the box, contained many photo’s that he and Harry had taken this past few months. There were, however, a few other photos that Severus had created and to his great exhaustion. Like a pensive, Severus had thought off his happiest moments with Lily, and was able to make them into photographs. This took a toll on his magic; however, he didn’t care. He knew that he would never believe anything Harry said without truth. And at seeing these photos, he was sure that he would cave in. There were photos of their wedding, Harry as a baby; and other random memories Severus thought were happy.

 

Back in his quarters, he trudged to bed, and put his wand on the nightstand. With a sigh, Severus Snape took a deep breath, and uncorked the fourth potion. He sculled it down in one gulp and placed the vile onto the table. Lying back on his bed, Severus breathed in and out evenly; trying to control his breathing. In, out, in out; Severus spoke in his mind. He did this for 2 minutes, until he broke down crying. Knowing what would be coming for him, he cried out in sorrow. After 30 minutes, his cries subsided, and he fell asleep. With his body resting, and his mind cut off from outside intrusions. The potion was now beginning to play its part. One by one Severus’ memories were being removed, and Harry’s were being restored. 

 

Harry’s sleeping face turned more at peace with each minute, whilst Severus’ seemed to be showing nothing but extreme pain. After the potion had done its work, Severus Snape’s face went blank. All his memories now removed, and Harry’s restored.

The End.
Chapter 17: Something Is Not Right by Ghostwolfsbane

Chapter 17: Something Is Not Right

The Hospital Wing

Upon waking up, Harry had never felt so good. His body felt rested and his mind clear.

"mhmm" Harry stretched his muscles and moved to sit at the headboard. After putting his glasses on, Harry looked around the hospital wing. Surprisingly there were no students around. Peering at the clock, Harry saw that it was only 7:05am. He looked over the side of his bed and saw his bed slippers were there. Deciding there was no point staying in bed any longer, he got up and walked over to the window. Birds were flying outside and it looked as if it was going to be a beautiful sunny day.

Hearing scuffling coming from Madame Pomfrey's office, Harry decided walk over and let the healer know he was awake.

Before Harry could even reach the door, Madame Pomfrey burst out of her office; giving Harry the biggest fright.

"Ah!" Harry shrieked in fright, causing the healer to drop the potion she was holding in her hand.

Upon the glass shattering on the ground, this rendered Harry motionless.

He stared at the space on the ground where the potions ingredients now were. He had a momentary lapse as his mind caught up with his previous memory's. Harry looked up at the healer, who was trying to get the boys attention; although all Harry could hear was white noise. He slowly stumbled over to the closest bed and sat down.

"Dad? Snape? Where's my dad?" Harry asked the healer.

Quickly Madame Pomfrey walked over and shoved Harry's head between his legs; the boy was starting to hyperventilate.

After a few minutes of the woman rubbing the boys back, Harry came back to the present and sat up.

"What…. Where…?" The healer stopped Harry, and motioned for him to follow her into his office.


Upon entering the office, Madame Pomfrey closed the door and made her way over to sit behind her desk. "I would prefer to speak in here Potter, there is a 3rd year sleeping in one of the beds; and I'm sure you wish for our conversation to be private" Harry nodded his head upon hearing that.

"What happened to me, I feel so… weird… Like my head is clear for the first time." Harry said in a soft and dazed voice; one would think Luna Lovegood was speaking.

To this the healer responded nonchalantly "Oh, he is in his quarters sleeping I would assume".

Harry's brows furrowed. As he was about to ask the witch something, she held her hand up for silence.

Sighing Madam Pomfrey asked Harry to sit down. Once she saw that Harry was comfortable, she proceeded to tell the boy everything that had transpired over the last few days. The healer handed Harry the letter Professor Snape had pleaded her to give to his son. Wanting to give Harry space to read in peace and quiet, she quickly left her office, closed the door with a residing thud.


The healer waited 30 minutes before re-entering her office. She observed upon entering that Harry was motionless and sitting in the same position; his back to her and looking outside the window. One would assume that he was sleeping upright, however this quickly became false. Harry turned his head to look at the healer and spoke without any emotion.

"He can't remember me" Harry asked in a monotone voice, not a question but a statement. Standing up from his chair, Harry looked directly into Madame Pomfrey's eyes.

"I'm afraid not dear, and you read the letter in its entirety?" Madame Pomfrey asked, pointing at the letter Harry was currently clutching with an iron fist.

There was no response, only a small nod of his head. Harry sat down in his chair once again skimming over the letter. At this point, the young boy was beyond annoyed. The letter that his father wrote to him, had given him explicit instructions. What saddened Harry was that he did not think he would be able to carry them out. His father was now long gone, only Professor Snape was left; at this thought Harry shuddered.

All his past years at Hogwarts flashed in his mind. All the years of angst, suspicion and hatred for the potions master. But then, he had his true memory's back, and additionally could remember all the good times he had experienced this year. Harry looked in the opposite direction of the healer, not wanting her to see a tear which had just rolled down his face. All that he could think about was that he could never get his father back; or could he? As quick as the thought entered into his mind, he pushed it away.

Having felt alone for most of his life, after living at the Dursleys. He came to the conclusion that now was truly the loneliest he had ever felt.

"Harry, your father told me what was written within his letter. I promise I will not divulge this to anyone. However, I do implore you to tell him everything. I understand your past relationship has not been very good, however from the way he spoke about you prior to losing his memories; I could clearly see he loved you very much." At hearing this, Harry started to cry.

The healer merely touched the boy's shoulder and said with finality "You will never be able to restore his memories from the past year. However, you will be able to make new ones…" She was interrupted by Harry shrugging off her hand, and quickly standing tall.

"My father is gone, and now my old git of a potions professor has taken his place. Number 1. This version of my father is oblivious to our familial bond. And 2, he hates my guts for being… well.. me. And 3, how the hell did my father expect this new man to love me…" Madam Pomfrey interrupted.

"Don't forget Harry, Severus was once only your potions teacher. However, I have observed over the years he has been looking out for you. I do not think he ever truly hated you. Your father believes that you can persuade this 'new' or 'old' version of himself. You just need to"

"It's going to be impossible… even if I tell him everything from his letter, he probably won't believe me. He'll think it's some sort of prank, I doubt he will even let me speak for long enough to explain…" Harry finished in a very low voice.

They both stood there in silence. Madame Pomfrey after a minute went and stood next to the door and beckoned Harry to get up. She waved him out of the office with one final word.

"Or maybe he will believe you. And if he doesn't, you will just have to be persistent. Do this for your father Harry; and for yourself"

Nodding, Harry took his leave and exited the hospital wing. He walked through Hogwarts pondering his previous conversation. He did owe his father everything, how his life had changed after he left the Dursley's. He smiled, thinking of all the good times he had with his father. He sighed, thinking about how glad he was that he had all his memories back. He made a promise then and there that no matter how long it took him, he would tell the professor/ his father everything. They both deserved to be happy, didn't they?


Two days had passed since the incident at the hospital wing. And Harry had not gone within 10 meters of the Professor. School had commenced, and all the students were currently eating breakfast in the Great Hall. Owls flew in to deliver the daily mail, Hedwig landing in front of Harry. Petting his owl, Harry took the letter his bird was holding then upon looking at the writing threw the letter on the table. Ron and Hermione had been walking on eggshells after Harry divulged what happened with his father. They were trying to be supportive, however every time one of them opened their mouths, Harry snapped.

Clearly, he was extremely stressed, and the letter which was just send to him only added to said stress. Harry was eating his cereal whilst also glaring at the letter. Over the past couple of weeks his godfather had been sending him correspondences; trying to amend things after what happened at Grimmauld Place. Harry had not opened one letter. He could not bring himself to forgive his godfather just yet. He was trying to get a game plan on how he would tell his father. He did not need, nor want, to hear anything from his godfather today. Harry looked up at the head table, although as soon as he did so he knew it was a mistake. Severus Snape could be seen glaring at Harry. Gulping his last bite of cereal down, Harry grabbed the letter, his rucksack and left the great hall in haste. He traipsed through the corridors and decided to be early for his next class.


Harry groaned as the final bell for the day rung. He rolled his shoulders then twisted his torso to crack his back. Tonight, tonight was the night, Harry thought to himself. He knew his father's schedule off the back of his hand, the Professor would have afternoon tea in his quarters then be back in his office by 5:00pm. He would be marking some poor student's essay is bold red before dinner. Harry headed back to the Gryffindor common room to change out of his sweaty uniform. Once he had changed into casual clothes, his palms and chest began to sweat again. Feeling extremely nervous about the events that were about to transpire, Harry decided it would probably be best to have a shower.

After emerging from the shower 1 hour later, fully clothed and smelling of freshly washed linen. Harry quickly grabbed his bag (making sure his father's letter was in it), and walked with purpose towards the dungeons.

The corridors were emptier than usual, the students most likely having decided to either take a nap before dinner, play exploding snap with friends or start on their homework. Turning a corner, Harry stopped in front of the potion master's office. Taking a deep breath, the young Gryffindor brought his knuckles up to the door and rapt 3 times *knock *knock *knock. 'Enter' Harry heard the Professor say in a monotone drawl. Sighing, Harry turned the doorknob and the door creaked open.

Poking his head through the door first, Harry spotted the professor sitting at his desk, reading the Daily Prophet. Snape flicked his eyes up to the door, where Harry still stood. Upon seeing that Potter was at the door his mouth instantly twisted into a smirk. Harry upon seeing this smirk gulped and entered the office; closing the door behind him with a resounding thug.

The professor folded his newspaper and looked up at Harry.

"I am glad to see you this evening Mr Potter" Stated the professor in a casual voice.

Harry furrowed his brows and scrunched his nose upon hearing this. 'It's a trap' Harry instantly thought, then quickly brushed his comment aside.

"You are?" Harry questioned.

"Yes. For once you are on time for your detention" Snape stated matter of factly.

'Detention?!' Harry thought. When the hell did I get detention? Harry thought. He instantly became enraged at the professor, he genuinely could not remember his father giving him detention. Although… since his father had lost his memories, maybe this detention was from months ago. Inwardly groaning, Harry merely nodded his head; not wanting to get into an argument with his father. The professor continued.

"I have a week's worth of ingredient preparation for you Potter. Your behaviour last week was absolutely deplorable. and as such. I believe the task set for tonight is befitting; don't you?" Snap raised an eyebrow at the shell-shocked boy.

'What a load of crap' Harry thought. Clearly the professor had reverted back to his past self easily But not wanted to anger the professor, he decided to go with this detention. Hopefully his good behaviour tonight would work to his favour when he would finally tell the professor everything and hand over the letter.

Severus Snape got up and out of his chair, moving in front of where Harry now stood.

"Tonight Potter, you will be preparing the ingredients on this table. Additionally, you will be preparing a pepperup potion for Madame Pomfrey. Any questions? No? good get started."

Without waiting for a response from Harry, Severus pointed at the ingredients and the cauldron which was waiting on the bench.

Harry not wanting to start an argument so early in the evening, sat down and started chopping and pulverising ingredients. It did not escape Harry's notice that the professor was allowing him to make potions for the Hospital Wing. Something the old Snape would have never allowed.

Stopping his work, Harry thought, maybe the professor deep down still knew Harry was his son. Harry smiled at this and decided to look up at the professor. Snape caught Harry's smile and raised an eyebrow.

"Do you find myself or the preparation of potion ingredients amusing" Snape asked cocking an identical eyebrow.

As soon as the thought entered Harry's mind, it was wipe away. Harry was now transported back to the old days. While his mind wandered Harry continued to cut ingredients, seconds later realised that he never answered the professor. A simple 'no sir' and Harry continued cutting the mandrake root.

Over the past couple of months Harry had come to enjoy quiet time with his father. They would brew potions, well, his father would brew, whilst Harry worked on preparing ingredients. Whilst Harry continued to mull over past memories, the current Snape was observing the boy. Preparing his ingredients with such precision, he could not help but be impressed. Although he sensed that something was plaguing the boys mind. Wanting to go over and scold the boy for his daydreaming, the only thing that stopped him from doing so, was the precise way in which Potter was cutting the mandrake root. Snape was jolted from his thoughts when Harry spoke.

"Um Professor" Harry began, keeping his eyes on his work.

"What am I receiving this detention for?" the boy enquired.

The look Snape gave Harry could only be described as one of extreme confusion.

"Why did you receive this detention? Why?" The professor asked a second time. His first feeling was to rattle the boy. What a completely ridiculous question. Potter was receiving his detention because… because he… The potion masters mind began to wonder. A cool sensation like that of ice melting seemed to slide down the professors back. His eyes darted around the room, trying desperately to think of his reason.

Looking back at the boy, he thought he saw Potters eyes soften (Lily's eyes). Quickly looking away, Severus picked up his newspaper and began to skim through the contents. Although not really grasping anything he had read. He stopped instantly and looked at Potter who was now looking at the professor.

Clearing his throat, the Professor answered "The reason is very simple Potter. You disobeyed my rules, now you are being punished." Snape stated quickly. It was a very stupid answer, however it was the only one Snape could give; because he truly could not remember the reason.

Harry had to hand it to Snape, that was a very smooth way of covering up the fact that he obviously had no clue why he was giving out this detention. Sighing, Harry only then remembered why he had come to the prof.. his father's office in the first place. However, not wanting to upset the man, Harry decided to play along hoping that would put the professor in a better mood.

"Of course, sir" Harry responded.

At Harry's submissive comment, this instantly shot warning bells in the professor's head. Why was Potter being so submissive? Where was the boy's snarky comeback?

"Eh, I have finished preparing the ingredients Professor, I am going to start on the potion" Harry stated, moving over to the cauldron. He flinched when the professor spoke loudly, standing up from his chair.

"I will be the judge of that Potter". Walking over to Harry's bench, Severus Snape observed the students work.

Casting his eyes over every inch of the table, the professor was trying to hold back his shock. Everything was perfect, the ingredients could not have been prepared better than if Granger had done it.

"Very well Potter, these are satisfactory, you may begin" Snape said pointing to the boys cauldron.

Harry upon hearing the professor's words became significantly more jovial. 'Ok Professor' he had all but yelped happily.

Snape looked at the boy incredulously. Why on earth was Potter in such a happy mood; Snape thought. This was a detention, he was supposed to be miserable.

The evening went by quietly. The only noise that could be heard was the cauldron simmering and the professors scratchy comments on students homework. Harry had now begun to bottle up his pepperup potion into tiny vials; which the professor had provided. Upon completion, he placed them into a wooden crate, then proceeded to walk up to the front of the room.

"I'm all done professor, would you like me to take these up to the Hospital Wing?" Harry asked as he placed to wooden crate on the professor's desk.

Snape looked up from his marking and glanced at the crate.

"No, that is not needed, I would like to test them first. Knowing your past potion skills, I wouldn't be surprised if this batch would be fatal to the consumer" The professor sneered.

However, the professor only said it half heartedly. Upon looking at the crate and lifting up one vial for inspection. The colour, consistency, even the smell it produced was correct. Sighing the professor said something that the boy would have never expected in a million years.

"I have to say Potter, this is the best work I have seen from you... may I ask how you have become such a competent potion maker in such a short period of time?". The professor waited as the stunned Harry Potter collected his thoughts.

Harry looked to the floor and gulped, however, looking back at the professor he spoke clearly.

"I had a really good tutor professor… oh look at the time, it's past my curfew, I need to head back to my dorm; good night Sir" Harry finished quickly grabbing his bag and fleeing from the room; leaving the professor gobsmacked. Harry ascended the stairs to the Gryffindor common room.

The professor was still sitting at his desk, reflecting on how the boy up and left without his permission. Shaking his head, the professor gathered the crate and flood to the hospital wing.


Gryffindor Common Room

Hermione and Ron were sitting in the common room waiting for Harry to return. Ron sat in front of the roaring fire reading his quidditch magazine, whilst Hermione sat on the couch biting her lip. She would stare off into space, then look at the common room entrance.

"It's past curfew, do you think Harry ended up talking about you know what with the professor?.." Hermione said the latter in a hushed voice, to make sure no one overheard her.

Ron turned around to face her "I doubt Harry even has a plan yet. I don't know Hermione, what's he going to say.. 'Hello your my daddy?' "

"Well obviously not, but he is going to have to tell the professor at some point. I think it's better to get it over and done with". Hermione said, lifting her nose up in he air.

Ron sighed, "Who knows Mione, maybe this will be a blessing in disguise for Harry…you know.. what with the professor forgetting everythi.." Ron was abruptly cut-off by Harry who was standing right behind his two friends.

"You're still not badmouthing my dad are you?" Harry looked murderously similar to the Professor; his voice low and eyes narrowing.

"You know what I meant mate" At hearing the words come from Ron's mouth. Harry shook his head and walked past both of his friends, up to his dorm.

After Harry left, Hermione quickly turned to Ron and smacked him on the arm.

"OW Hermione…"

"I though we went through this last time Rom. If you keep trying to keep Harry from the Professor. He will never speak to you again. Is that what you want?" Hermione queried.

"I just don't want him to get hurt, again. You saw how the professor was in class, an absolute bastard; same as before. How much longer can Harry keep taking this rejection?"

"Harry is very resilient, and besides he has us. We need to be there for him" Hermione stood up and ascended the stairs to her dorm, leaving Ron in the common room to ponder her words.


Great Hall

The next day, Harry, Ron and Hermione were sitting at the Gryffindor table eating breakfast. The great hall was buzzing with students, Seamus and Dean could be heard betting who would win the next quidditch tournament.

Harry was the first to break the silence. "I couldn't sleep last night. I was trying to formulate a plan for you know what. I have been thinking on how to break the news to him". Harry pointed at the professor who was currently sitting at the head table brooding whilst eating his breakfast.

"I'm going to tell him in five days time, this should give me enough time to get dad in a good mood… or who knows maybe even like me" Harry laughed nervously.

Ron looked bewildered "Sorry, did you just say to get him to like you? haha" Harry started to laugh, half of the Gryffindor table looked up curiously to see what the fuss was about.

Once the student body saw that nothing interesting was happening, they resumed their gossiping and breakfast. Hermione shifted in her seat, and looked nervously at Harry.

"I hate to say it Harry, but Ron's right. I don't thinking waiting 5 days will be beneficial..I don't think any of your actions will…" Harry instantly cut her off.

"I don't care what you think Hermione. I want to do this my way, so stop trying to help me. All I want is your support, is that so hard to ask?" Harry broke off in a whisper.

Sighing, Harry grabbed his bag, and left the hall; wanting to be alone.


The day had been going very slow for Harry. He had decided to sit in silence with his friends during his first couple of classes. However, ended up skipping recess, instead deciding to sit outside in the sun. For lunch, Harry took a sandwich and an apple, and sat near the herbology green houses. Sitting in silence, he pondered how his afternoon potions class would go. Harry was pulled out of his musings when he heard fawks the phoenix singing in the distance. Sighing, Harry decided he should arrive early to potions. Walking from the sunny grounds into the cold dungeons made him shiver a little.

Upon walking into the classroom, it was apparent that he was very early. Deciding he best start off the class with his best foot forward, Harry decided to sit in the front row. The students started to slowly dwindle into the classroom, Ron and Hermione's eyes nearly popped out of their heads when they saw Harry sitting at the front. They both silently sat next to Harry, when the professor dramatically stalked into the room; the room fell silent. Noticing this, the boy who lived kept his head facing the front and opened his textbook.

The potions master swept past every row, gliding to his desk. His black eyes swept the room, mentally taking note of who was present. His eyebrows rose to the ceiling when his eyes landed on a certain Gryffindor. Severus Snape was not often rendered speechless, however this was an exception. Looking back at his desk, Severus took a pile of parchment and stood up. He slowly weaved in and out of the desks, placing the student's previous homework in-front of them. He gave some of his Slytherins a grunt of satisfaction, or a hiss of warning to those students whose work were below his standards.

The final essay was for Potter, standing in-front of the boys desk Severus lowered the parchment slowly to his desk. Once the boys homework was on the desk, the professor leaned down and said in a very low voice; so that only Harry could hear.

"Do you care to explain Potter how you came to write this essay?" Severus continued. "Did we feel the need to ask our little friend here to write it." The professor looking in Hermione's direction.

Harry turned his head, looking directly into his professor's eyes. "No sir, I did the research and wrote the essay myself" The longer Harry stared at Snape, it sent chills down the professors spine. Frowning, the professor moved to the front of the classroom to begin the lesson.

The lesson had gone quite quickly Harry thought. Ron was eagerly peering at his watch, when he heard the bell ring. Students eagerly grabbed their belongings, ready for their final class. "A moment Mr Potter" The Professor stated with his back to the classroom. Harry who was out of his chair, ready to leave, turned to his friends and waved them goodbye.

The Professor waited until everyone was out of the classroom before he decided to speak. "I would like you to tell me the truth Mr Potter. At the beginning of the class, you stated that you wrote that essay; correct?" The Professor said, now standing in-front of Harry.

Before Harry could answer, the Professor continued. "I don't know how you came to write a better essay than your friend Miss Granger. However, I will expect you to continue turning in this level of work. If you do not, the consequences shall be severe" The professor said in a scolding tone.

Harry peered at his father in confusion, he sounded just like his dad. He looked into the Professors eyes again, hoping to see in those dark depths a spark, something. This in-turn made the professor more annoyed at the boy. Why was he looking at him like that again?! Infernal brat, Snape thought.

After a brief moment, Harry decided to smile and spoke in a friendly tone. "I have actually come to enjoy your subject very much over the past couple of months Sir. I guess I get it from my dad.. or mum.." He finished by laughing nervously. The professor was looking at Harry with bewilderment. Taking a couple of steps back, the professor looked at at Harry as if he had two heads. Snapping out of his trance, the professor started to sneer.

"I don't know what there is to laugh about Potter, your father was an imbecile when it came to potions; you haven't a clue" He drawled whilst walking back to his desk.

Harry did not seemed fazed by this at all. He cocked his head to the side, then shrugged his shoulders. "Well, that might be true, I mean I never actually met the man. Well at least my mum must have been decent at potions huh" Harry finished with a lopsided smirk; not unlike the professors.

Severus Snape, the man who often was very eloquent in his rhetoric, was at a complete loss for words. After the boy had mentioned James Potter, Severus was going to hit the boy with another insult. However, mention of Lily got Severus slightly nervous. Sitting back at his desk, the professor wrote a note to Harry's next teacher excusing him for being tardy. He got up and thrust it into the boys hand, then without a word swept out of his classroom. Harry, who still found this very amusing shook his head, and also left the room, leisurely walking to his transfiguration class.


The head of Slytherin House strode to the Head Masters office at once. He felt constantly on edge, during his previous lesson. The office door opened instantly, with Professor Dumbledore sitting at his desk.

"Ah, Severus what an unexpected surprise" speaking genuinely. "What brings you in here my boy" indicating for Severus to take a seat.

"Something does not feel right Albus. It's like I'm going insane" Severus said very slowly. He looked around, stopping to peer at the old headmaster portraits; most of whom were eagerly listening to the conversation. Rolling his eyes, Severus continued.

"Yesterday… last night I gave Potter a detention"

"Ah, already in trouble I see" The professor said his face between a smirk and smile.

"That's just the thing though, I could not for the life of me remember why I gave the boy a detention. AND TODAY!" The professor loudly said. Severus quickly stood up, and began pacing back and forth.

"The boy sat at the front of the classroom, he was keenly listening to my class. He's never once shown an interest in potions. The boy was looking at me throughout the class, he looked as if he were trying to use legilimency on me"

"Come now Severus, you are starting to sound parano…" The headmaster was cut off.

"Paranoid! Of coarse I'm paranoid. Then the boy turns in a perfect assignment, which no doubt Granger helped him with. However, when he stated that it was his own work, why did I actually believe the brat" Severus finished, looking as if he was going to pull out his hair.

"Ah… how the heart never truly forgets" Albus Dumbledore signed, looking sadly at the father in-front of him.

"But it's more than that Albus. I feel as if I have lost my memory, I do not remember the last couple of months. I mean I do, but I don't…it's like certain things have been erased. Oh I don't know!" Severus said with frustration. He ended up lying down on a long couch, needing to calm down before his magic became erratic.

The headmaster sat with Severus whilst the man continued to discuss what was on his mind. Albus, merely sat and listened to what the young professor had to say. He ordered some tea from the kitchens, which aided Severus in calming down. Sighing, the professor turned his head to the headmaster.

"It was very strange Albus. The boy mentioned that his recent skills in potions were due to his father. I obviously told the boy that his father was an imbecile" The headmaster tutted disapprovingly at Severus.

Continuing Severus spoke with caution. "It's what he said next that set me off-balance." Severus recited word for word what Potter said 'Well, that might be true, I mean I never actually met the man. Well at least my mum must have been decent at potions huh'.

"The way the boy said 'huh' and looking knowingly at me, I could have sworn he looked right into my soul. Albus.. You haven't mentioned anything to him have you?" The potions master looking at Albus accusingly, and slightly nervous.

The headmaster was saved from having to divulge into a very lengthy story when there was a knock on the door. Severus sat up, and brushed his robes, wanting to appear as if he did not just a few minutes ago have a mental breakdown.

"Come in" The headmaster said. And in popped Harry Potter's head.

"Hello.. professor?" Harry questioned, not seeing the headmaster anywhere.

"Ah, Harry in here my boy. Professor Snape and I were just having a chat here, are classes finished already? The headmaster asked reaching into his robes to check his pocket watch.

Once Harry rounded the corner, he stood in-front of both the professors awkwardly. Shifting from foot to foot, he looked at professor Dumbledore then to his dad.

"You have excellent timing my boy, the professor and I were just about to have some tea. Would you care to join us?" The headmaster asked.

Severus merely sneered, then stood up. "I will take my leave Albus"

"Goodbye" Harry said in a soft voice.

The potions master merely grunted, whilst hastily striding towards the exit. Once the door was shut, Harry peered at the headmaster then looked back to the place his father was sitting.

"Is everything alright Professor Dumbledore?" Harry asked, his concern evident.

"Your father Harry believes he has lost his mind. He feels as if time has escaped him" Sadly, the headmaster motioned for Harry to take a seat and poured the young lad some tea.

"I'm sorry if I interrupted you and Professor Snape earlier.."

"Come Harry, you can call him your father in front of me, it's not as if I have forgotten" After saying this, the professor instantly regretted it. The look on Harry's face was filled with sorrow.

"Aahh, I just don't know what to do Professor. I have dad's letter, and I've been trying to think about how to tell him, where to tell him even. I'm a worried that without his previous memories..of him and mum being together.. you know.. ah intimately; he won't believe me. I'm struggling to see how the professor is going to acknowledge me as his.." Harry could not finish his sentence. The thought of what was to come was too much.

"It's best to just get it over with my boy. Even if it means trying 1, 2, as many times as it takes for him to believe. You and I both know it will be worth it mhmm" The headmaster smiled, walking over to sit next to Harry.

Clapping the boy on his back, the professor continued. "As for where to discuss this delicate matter, you are free to use my office" Albus stated.

"I don't think that's a good idea sir. What happens if after I tell the professor that he's my dad. He believes me, but then decides to fling himself off the balcony" Harry said pointing in the direction of the headmasters observation deck.

Laughing, the headmaster spoke with finality "Dear boy, I do not think Severus would fling himself off the balcony, faint most probably. I think everything will be fine. However, I do agree that it will be a challenge to get Severus to listen to you. I may be able to aid you in getting a one-on-one meeting with Severus."

The headmaster sat for a minute thinking, then snapped his fingers; which jolted Harry. "I know. I will instruct him to resume Occlumency Lessons, which shall be held here in my office." The headmaster stated gleefully.

Harry did not look convinced, however nodded in agreement. This was a good way to get the professor alone, and in a private setting to have this conversation. Harry looked up at the headmaster and nodded again.

"Ok, I'll do it. However, could I please borrow your penseive? It might be easier to convince dad if he could actually see what we've gone through together."

"That is a splendid idea Harry" The headmaster beamed jovially.

Getting up from his seat, the headmaster went into his bedroom, coming back with his penseive. Placing it in-front of Harry, the Headmaster guided Harry in removing the right memories to show the Professor. A good 35 minutes later they were done, with the memories safely placed in a crystal vial.

"I will tell Severus that he will need to begin occlumency lessons as soon as possible. For now, let us go down to the great hall it is time for dinner" Albus Dumbledore motioned Harry to follow him out of the office.

Harry walked next to the Headmaster silently, wondering what he had gotten himself into.

The End.
Chapter 18: Dungeon Bat or Father by Ghostwolfsbane
Author's Notes:

Final chapter all, thanks for coming along the journey!

Friday Evening - Great Hall


The Great Hall was oddly quiet for a Friday. Everyone seemed to be ravenous with hunger, all except Harry Potter. Harry sat on the other end of the Gryffindor table, sitting with a group of 3rd years. Over the past couple of days, Harry had tried to avoid Ron and Hermione as much as possible; lest they have another argument. The boy who lived had pulled aside his friends only 10 hours ago, telling them what his plan was. He had made it quite clear that they were to stay away from him, as he wanted to spend the next couple of days composing a plan, nee a script of what he would say to his father.


A Gryffindor student that was sitting opposite Harry, was giving him an exasperated look.


"Are you going to eat that, or just keep pushing it around on your plate?" The haughty third year asked.


Narrowing his eyes, Harry put one last spoonful of food into his mouth. Before abruptly standing up, and making a quick exit out of the Great Hall.


Headmaster Dumbledore along with a few other professors looked at Harry as he exited. However, none of which seemed particularly phased by his sudden departure. Most of them put his leaving down to being extremely tired. All professors too looked a bit more worn out than usual. Harry's leave only truly peaked the interest of none other than the Head of Slytherin house. Raising his eyebrow he looked at the exit to the great hall, then back to Dumbledore. He scoffed when he saw that Dumbledore was looking directly at him, whilst raising his glass in a salute. Turning his head away, the professor went back to his meal.


Professor Snape had taken quite a long time to finish dinner, most of the students had left the hall; with only a few remaining. Only he and professor Mcgonnagal were left on the teachers table. Swallowing back the last of his wine, Severus Snape licked his lips, keen to take a slice of delicious blueberry cheesecake. Oh how he had been waiting for this dessert all week. To say his week was stressful, was an understatement. Cutting off a piece, the professor was 3 bites in when he felt a buzzing in his pocket.


The Professor took out a gold coin, which was currently vibrating and glowing bright yellow. Scowling the professor stood up abruptly and proceeded to stalk out of the great hall; through the back teachers passage. He was going to murder the student that had decided to break into his office and ruin his meal. No, murder would be too good....the professor thought.


The Dungeons - Severus Snape's Office


Harry had wondered around the dungeon hallways for quite some time, mentally preparing himself for the deep conversation he needed to have with the profes.... his father this evening. He has just come back from the headmasters office, letting him in on his plan; and what part professor Dumbledore would need to play.


He turned the corner and found himself standing in front of the potion masters office. He signed, knowing that he would need to put on a show this evening.. in order to convince the professor to come to the headmasters office. Knocking on the door, Harry was sure that the professor would have retired to his office early; like he normally would.


Knock, knock "hello?" Harry called out in the hallway. Sighing, Harry came to the realisation that the professor must be at dinner still. Deciding it was a risk willing to take, Harry took a deep break and took out his wand.


"Alohamora" Harry muttered, the door to his fathers office opened. He did not however walk in, instead waited for the professor to catch him 'breaking in' to his office. Harry looked at his watch, noting that his evening of acting would now commence.


Angry footsteps could be heard moving closer and closer to Harry, which belonged to non other than the irate Head of Slytherin House.


"Stupid... Stupid" Harry muttered loud enough for Snape to hear; whilst banging his head on the door.


No more than 5 seconds later, Professor Snape come to an abrupt holt; his robes billowing around his body.


Trying to muster his most intimidating voice, the professor spoke menacingly.


"Stupid, you wouldn't be calling me that now would you Potter?"


At hearing this, Harry shivered, thinking back to all the times Snape had caught him whilst breaking the rules.


Over exaggerating his movements, Harry turned very slowly on the spot; gulping once he had faced professor Snape.


"Of course not sir! Sorry, I was just frustrated is all" Harry finished, trying to sound mildly pathetic like Neville would when caught out by the Professor for his ruined potions.


The professor stood up very straight whilst starting to speak in a deadly low voice.


"I do not have the time tonight to deal with your horrendous behaviour, nor do I have time to listen to you wine about your detention this week.." He was interrupted by Harry half way through his sentence.


"I'm not here to complain about my detention sir" Harry said in the most depressed voice he could muster. Towards the end of his sentence, just for good measure he decided to sound like he was about to start tearing up.


"It's fine professor, I'll just leave you be" Harry said in a low and sad tone, turning on his heels ready to walk away.


The professor had quickly put away his anger after watching the boy in front of him. He sounded very dejected and positively depressed. A feeling rose within his heart, which he quickly pushed back. Pinching the bridge of his nose, the professor held out a hand placing it on the boys shoulder to stop him from walking further away.


"Wait Potter... you clearly came down because you had something to say. Although I would like to remind you that my Q&A hours have not changed, you didn't come to ask about your potions work did you?" The professor questioned.


"It's not about class professor" Harry continued talking in a mopey voice.


Sighing, Severus turned around opening the door to his office, motioning for Harry to sit in the chair opposite to his own.


"I do not have all night Mr Potter, so you better make this quick" The professor said, in his usual dour tone.


The room was quite for 40 seconds. The professor waited for harry to speak, growing impatient the professor was about to verbally reprimand the boy to open his mouth. However, what Harry would say next, truly had the professor thinking that Merlin himself has risen from the dead.


"I need you to start teaching me occlumency again" Harry said looking anywhere but at his professor.


Severus had sunk back into his chair, gripping the sides with such force. To say that Severus was shocked would be an understatement. This was quite honestly the last thing he expected the boy to ask him. Harry Potters words replayed, over and over again in his head. 'Merlin, Potter must really be in deep shit for him to ask this of me!' The professor thought.


Coming back to the land of the living, Severus cleared his throat before speaking.


"Have you been having dreams again Potter? Has the Dark Lord been able to invade your mind again" He looked at Harry's face, trying to read the boy without using legilimency.


Harry was internally celebrating, the professor had truly fallen for this. Mustering as much angst as possible Harry answered his father.


"No Voldemort hasn't been...(wait, I should make dad extra worried!) I mean yes, YES he has! It's been awful. I know you hate me professor. And I know I was a very bad occlumency student..... and that I looked into the penseive" Harry had started to ramble, standing up and pacing up and down the room.


Finally with a dramatic fall into the chair he previously occupied, Harry bent over pretending to cry, whilst all but yelling out.


"PLEASE HELP ME!, he back in my mind and it hurts so badly; please help me" Continuing to sob, Harry started pulling his hair for good measure.


By this point, the professor was truly shocked, his eyes wide as he peered at the boy sobbing openly. Not knowing what the do, the professor stood and came to sit on his desk in front of Harry. Retrieving a handkerchief from his robe pockets, he held it out to Harry as a form of consolation.


"I do not hate you Potter. Although surprisingly I do agree with you.. that you were a very bad occlumency student" The professor said, trying to lighten the boys mood by making a joke. Harry internally beamed seeing how the professor was trying to console him in his own way.


The professor continued to talk, this time in a more serious tone.


"Judging from your behaviour, this situation has escalated quite quickly, and should be dealt with immediately. Clearly my methods last year did not work, therefore, the best course of action would be to discuss this with the headmaster. You clearly need urgent help, and I am afraid the headmaster will be more suitable to help with this situation."


The professor stood up, and walked towards the fire place, holding out a box of floo powder. Motioning for Harry to get up and floo to the Headmasters Office.


Harry on the other hand, whilst walking over was skeptical and worried whether Snape would merely send him on his way. In order for this to work, the professor needed to come with him.


Harry grabbed the floo powder, and grabbed a hold of the professor arm, whilst shaking it back and forth.


"You have to promise you will come with me professor, promise!" Harry said in his most scared and pushy voice.


"Yes, alright just get into the fireplace NOW!." Severus felt as if his head would grow to the size of the giant squid. Potter had finally succumbed to madness.


Harry was gone within seconds, with Professor Snape quickly following suite.


________________________________________________________________________


Headmasters Office


Both teacher and student were both flung out of the fireplace in the headmasters office. Severus caught himself, however Harry could be found sprawled onto Albus Dumbledores rug.


"Headmaster....Albus, come quick it's urgent! Potter has officially succumbed to madness; the dark lord...he's...." Severus was cut off by professor Dumbledore holding up his hand, signalling for the potions master to be silent.


Dumbledore looked at Harry who had now straightened himself up. And had found his usual place on the couch. Nodding his head, the headmaster merely turned back to Severus and smiled.


"Ah Harry, how good of you to come. Having a good night I hope mhmm? Would you like tea and biscuits?" The professor asked.


Severus at hearing this, walked up to the headmaster and spoke in a voice that sounded somewhere between surprise and anger.


"Tea? And biscuits?! Look at him, he needs help..not a SNACK!" Severus all but demanded.


However, as the potions master looked to Harry, he became instantly triggered. 'The little shit' Severus thought. Looking at Harry, as he was, now sitting calmly in a chair pouring himself a cup of tea. He felt as if he had imagined what had transpired in his office. He was brought out of his musings as Professor Dumbledore spoke.


"I have left the penseive out for you Harry, as well as the vial we discussed. Would you like me to be present, or would you like to have the room to yourselves?....."


"Headmaster, I do not know what you are blabbing about. Potter, he's been having visions of the dark lord, and needs to resume his occlumency lessons immediately. Obviously after what transpired last year, you would be the most suitable person." Severus was quickly interrupted by Harry.


"Eh Professor Snape? Can you please sit down over here?...um, you can stay if you want headmaster; I would actually like the support. You know, just incase he decides to jump off the balcony" Harry stated, playing off his nervousness with a mild laugh; when the potions master began to look furious.


"Mr Potter, I have just about had it with you tonight. Firstly, you act as if your mind is about to explode from the dark lords invasion of it. And now, you sit here, calm as ever; as if there was nothing wrong in the first place" the professor was now standing very close to where Harry sat.


"Ah, I can explain... promise. But first, can you please sit down" Harry said, patting the couch next to him. The potions professor hesitated for a few seconds, sighed then decided to do as he was told.


'You better have a good explanation Potter' Severus said whilst shaking his finger in front of Harrys face; making the boy go cross eyed.


Dumbledore had now retreated to his desk, and was going through a couple of letters he had received that very evening. He looked at Severus and gave the man an encouraging smile.


Severus, seeing this merely turned back to Harry, waiting for the boy to speak. He waiting for 30 seconds, before the boy stood abruptly and walked to Dumbledores desk. Retrieving a box and a letter, Harry returned to his old spot; facing the potions master.


Sighing, Harry shifted in his seat, tilting his head up to look at his father. After clearing his throat he began to speak.


"Um, ok, I had this all planned out, word for word; how I wanted this conversation to go. But, I want to speak from the heart. So, I'm not sure if you have guessed but I was faking an attack from Voldem..."


"Yes, well that's clear as day isn't it!" Severus voiced menacingly.


"I don't want to be rude professor, but this is only going to work if you don't interrupt me... I've sort of got a lot to go through." Not waiting for a response from the professor, Harry resumed.


"Right so where was I, oh yeh... so...I'm fine, Voldemort isn't trying to get into my mind. I needed to speak to you in a space where I knew no one would be listening in. Well except Professor Dumbledore, he already knows so I don't really mind. Ok so here it goes, a short time ago, I received a letter from my mother."


At hearing this Severus straightened up in his seat, wondering why on earth the boy was talking to him about Lily, did Dumbledore finally let loose to Potter that him and his mother had been childhood friends?


"Now, mum made it extremely clear that James Potter was not my biological father"


"WHAT?!" Severus shrieked. Severus' mind was reeling, this was the most stupid thing he had ever thought. There was no way that Lily would cheat on her husband.. would she?


Why was the boy telling him this, did he need me to brew a parentis potion? No... that would be no good without the actual blood of the biological father.


Harry Potter looked at his father, feigning that he did not hear him speak; and continued on with his story.


"She told me who my dad was, and that he was receiving the same letter that very night. Over the past couple of months I have had a relationship with him. Originally, I'll admit that I wasn't very happy knowing I was related to him. But over the past couple of months, I couldn't imagine anyone else being my father. We ran into a couple of bumps along the way, but everything seemed to sort it self out in the end." Harry said the last sentence with a sigh. Slowly looking at his father he continued.


"Unfortunately a week ago, I suffered a traumatic blow to the head which rendered me to have short term memory loss; and not being able to remember anything that had happened over the past couple of months. I was given the Oernelim potion which brought my memories back, however in order for it to work; my condition got passed onto my father...dad." Harry passed the letter to Severus, who now had his mouth wide open in shock.


"I... this is all very well, if a little tragic Potter. However, I don't know what you expect from me. Oernelim potion, it sounds very obscure. It sounds dark, I do not think your.. father.. would be able to regain his memories. I am sorry, I cannot help you." Severus finished, not knowing what else to say. He did feel some slight compassion for the boy. It must not have been easy to have this sprung on him at the last minute.


"Oh that's fine, I didn't really expect you to be able to brew an antidote."


"Then what is it you want Potter"


"I just want you to have a look at my memories in that penseive, and then read this letter." Harry said, first pointing to the corner where the penseive was placed, then handed the professor his letter.


"Please" Harry pleaded. Grabbing the professor by the arm of his robes, standing up to guide him to the penseive.


Severus looked apprehensive, however surprisingly listened to what the boy had asked. Within the next minute, Severus had submerged his head into the penseive leaving both Dumbledore and Harry behind.


"How do you think he will take it, Professor Dumbledore?" Harry asked, wringing his hands, shifting his weight from foot to foot.


"To be honest my boy, I have a feeling your dear father is not going to take this very well"


Humming in agreeance, Harry sat back down on the couch waiting for his father to resurface from the penseive.


Ten minutes later, the potions master was flung back hitting the ground with a thud. He made no motion and sat still for the next minute; with his back facing Harry.


Professor Dumbledore peered up from his paperwork looking at the man sitting on the ground with mild pity; he observed that Severus looked lost. The headmasters rustling brought the potions master back from his musings.


Severus whipped his head around looking dead straight into the headmasters eyes. He stood abruptly striding ever so quickly over to his long time mentor and employer. What happened next made Harry leap up out of his seat and run over to his father.


Professor Snape grabbed the front of Albus Dumbledores robes and pulled him close, so close, that their noses were nearly touching. The headmasters eyes had grown wide, taking in Severus crazed appearance, he listened to Severus' menacing words.


"How dare you concoct this nonsense. I do not ask for much old man, however I asked that you not reveal the best of me. And yet you have the audacity to make up a memory and not only fool the boy but try and fool me as well" Spit could be seen hitting the Headmasters face.


The old man grabbed the potions masters hands, gently trying to pry them off him. Harry could be seen to his fathers right side, also trying to pry his hands off the headmaster.


"Now listen here Severus, I have done no such thing" Albus said in a calm voice, however the head of Slytherin was having none of it.


Severus abruptly let go of the professor and strode to the opposite side of the room. Turning to look back at Potter and Dumbledore, the man looked as if he had aged 10 years; his face looking haunted by his past.


"I quit." The two words were spoken so clearly, it sent shivers up Harry's spine. Severus was waiting to hear what Albus' comeback would be. However he was surprised to note that Harry was actually the first to speak.


"You can't quit! Don't be ridiculous, you've just had a shock....come back here" Harry said in a scared and whiny voice.


"Ridiculous?" Severus arched his eyebrow. "I'll tell you what's ridiculous. Being ridiculed and lied to in the most horrendous way possible. I have been able to forgive you for many things Dumbledore but never this. Find someone else to do your bidding, I am out." Severus strode to the door, pulling on the handle to exit. However the door did not budge, casting alohamora also did not work. Getting angry, Severus whipped around and demanded that the headmaster would open the door.


"I am afraid dear boy that I cannot let you leave yet, not without having fully heard Harry out". Albus said.


Harry now made his way over to his father, his eyes beseeching for the man to listen to him. "Please, sit down. I know this sounds crazy, but it is true, you just can't remember..."


"Potter, I may not like you very much but even I do not wish this sort of a prank upon yourself. I am unsure as to the headmasters motives, however if you ever listen to anything that I have to say; please listen to me now. GET YOURSELF OUT, leave this school as soon as possible, lest you find yourself a pawn, a casualty of this war thanks to the all but great ALBUS DUMBLEDORE" Severus yelled the last part.


"I am afraid I can't do that dad" Severus flinched dramatically upon hearing Potter call him that.


Sighing, Harry sat down on the couch again, whilst his father was standing and heavily breathing. Pulling out the box and letter, he placed them onto his lap and started to speak in a strong authoritative voice; that which was very similar to his fathers.


"You are not going to quit. I have not finished talking, or showing you what I wanted to show you. I know this all sounds ridiculous, and like the worlds biggest prank. Trust me, I was not too happy when I found out you were my dad. But things changed, you helped me through a lot of stuff and were really there for me" Harry said whilst shrugging his shoulders.


Severus at this point, flopped back into an armchair facing Harry. His hands had now found his way into his hair, pulling at it; similar to how Harry had acted out in the dungeons earlier that day.


Harry knelt on the floor near his father, placing the letter onto his lap. Severus took a shaky hand, and picked up the letter. Tearing it open, he pulled out the piece of paper noticing his own writing on the page; his eyes bulging. His hands continued to shake, not knowing if they were shaking out of anger or fear; maybe a little bit of both.


"I'm happy to read it to you if you would like?" Harry asked. With a slight nod of his father head, he took the letter from his hands and cleared his throat.


Albus Dumbledore had now walked over to father and son, lingering nearby prepared to stun Severus if he ran to escape. Noticing the box discarded to the side, Albus walked around the couch picking it up, and gently placing it onto Severus' lap; opening the lid.


Looking nervously at both professor's, Harry began reading the letter out loud.


Dear Harry,


I can only imagine how furious you are with me, but there really is no point in sulking about. In the past few months, I have not only come to know the real Harry but come to truly love you as a son; which I never thought possible. When I regained my memories back from your mother, my initial feelings were sorrow, pain, anger and betrayal. All of which I suppose you will be feeling at this moment as you read this letter. Maybe one day, once you have your own children, you will understand that you will do anything in order for them to be happy. The past day I saw you in the hospital wing, you were staring at the ceiling; sighing every 10 minutes.


I saw you truly sad. Of course, you were sad when your friends didn't approve of us; but this sadness ran much deeper. It looked as if you had lost someone very dear. Your mind couldn't remember, but your heart could. I write this letter as a sort of instruction manual. The potion I have ingested (which was once quite dangerous) I tweaked to make it safe; however, it still has more than a few downsides.


Firstly, I will not be able to remember that you are my son. I will have no recollection of the time we spent together over the last few months. And I dare say, I will also, once again, not be able to recollect your mother's and I relationship. The leaf, that your mother had saved all my memories on was gone the second I ingested the potion. All those memories of Lily and I are currently in my mind. Once I take the potion, they will be permanently removed.


I loved your mother very much and miss her more than you could ever understand. But, as a father, I love you even more. Which is why I have gone to these lengths. I have wronged you in so many ways throughout your Hogwarts tenor. Yet you, like your mother, have a profound ability to forgive.


My instructions you must be wondering. Are to sit down with me privately, when you will give me this letter to read. But before you offer me this letter, I want you to tell future me the following.


I will write dot points for everything to run smoothly.


Your memory loss happened because of a mixture of my own creation and the OERNELIM potion.I wanted to reverse your memory loss, which I previously had.I did so because of your mother


I should think the final phrase will be enough to peak my interest, you may of course however relay this information to me in any way which you see fit; I trust you always. Please keep in mind that I will at this point still most likely have doubts that I am your father. I do believe that it will come as quite a shock to me, that you are in fact my son.


Be warned that I will most likely think that what you are saying is a joke. Which is when you will offer this letter for me to read. I have put on it certain enchantments, to make it indestructible.


It might take me a day, two days or even a month. Please be persistent and pester me as much as possible. Even if I turn you away, you will know deep down that I love you. And please try again.


The me you knew will most certainly be gone. But I believe that future me will love you just as much. It will be a shocking realisation, but definitely a good one.


It has been a privilege getting to know you, and I could not be any prouder of you.


With this final word, I bid you adieu.


I love you always,


Your father Severus Tobias Snape"


Harry had silent tears streaming down his face. Placing the letter onto the floor, Harry chanced a look at his father. He was slightly taken aback when he saw that his dad was sitting stiffly upright, looking at a photo in his hand. It clicked to Harry that whilst he was reading the letter, his father must have been looking through the photos which had been placed in the box.


Currently, Severus was holding onto a photo of him and Lily on their wedding day. He then began robotically flicking through all the other photos, as if on replay; over and over again for the next couple of minutes. Photos of Harry as a baby, more of Lily; it went on and on. After a while he dropped the photos, making a guttural moaning noise. Quickly he placed the photos into the box, dropping it onto the couch. Severus was up within a second, running to the balcony. Both Harry and Professor Dumbledore ran after the potions master, expecting the man to fling himself over the edge.


However, once he was outside, Severus merely collapsed onto the floor heaving; choking for air. Harry at once was beside his father with his arms around his shoulder. Severus tried shrugging his hand off, however the Headmaster had also placed a hand onto his shoulder.


"Breathe Severus, yes thats right" Albus said softly.


The potions master had now rolled over onto his back, the cool surface of the floor aiding in cooling him down. He laid on the ground for what felt like an eternity.


The headmaster had decided to go back inside, and sit on the sofa. Harry however would not leave his position on the floor. Watching the rise and fall of his dad's ribcage. Severus was slowly brought back to the real world, when he turned his head over to Harry; their eyes locking.


Nothing was said, they both stayed in their current positions staring at each other. Harry wondered who would break their silence first; when his father spoke softly.


"I don't believe it" Severus Snape uttered, not so much speaking to Harry or himself; but to the world.


Severus' mind was reeling, hundreds of thoughts all happening at once. 'Lily, his Lily had actually been his? No, impossible...or was it? The photos were proof enough...the photos...all a lie...no..YES...' His anguished cries rang out in his mind, squinting his eyes in internal pain.


Upon looking at Harry's face, the breath in his lungs nearly left his body. Gasping, he looked at Harry Potters face, however, there were now no remnants of the man he hated. Only his Lily, and now himself, was evident in the Boys features; not Harry Potter but Harry Snape. How had he not seen this before, his eyes now as wide as an owls. He only then noticed that the boy no longer required glasses, his beautiful green eyes on display.


The potions master sat up drawing his knees into his chest, whilst still looking at Harry.


"I need to be certain" He whispered out loud. Then the boy did something he did not expect, he smiled.


"Did you want to make the parentis potion?" Harry asked. His father nodding silently in agreeance. Holding his hand out, Harry helped the potions master stand.


"I can help you make it if you want. I was quite fortunate to have a potions master tutor me over the past couple of months; no longer a disgrace in potions now eh" Harry said trying to lighten the mood, however his smile faded as his father began to speak.


"No" Severus said abruptly, muttering a quick 'thank you' after.


"I...I need time alone to think. It..it would be best if I did the brewing myself. I need to know that no one is there to tamper with anything" Harry was about to interrupt by saying that 'of course he wouldn't tamper with anything'; when Albus' hand landed deftly onto Harry's shoulder.


Albus merely smiled and spoke in a calming voice. "Yes, I think that is a fine idea Severus. I will wait here with Harry, I'm sure he can go and fetch some homework or reading material whilst we wait." With a quick flick of his wand the door to the Headmasters Office was opened.


Without looking at anyone, Severus quickly made his way out of the office and down to his personal potions room. His mind reeling, he took a few deep breaths and with shaky hands began his work.


Harry had decided to head back to the Gryffindor common room to grab his book bag. However, once in his room, he plopped himself onto hid bed releasing a breath; that he did not know he had been holding. He began to breath deeper and deeper, until his breaths turned into sobs. Clutching his pillow Harry continued to cry, crying for the loss of his father. But he also cried for the success that today was. Severus could have acted in a poorer fashion, however in the end it looked like he got through to the man.


Fifteen minutes later Ron found Harry sleeping on his bed, with tear marks staining his pillow and bed sheets. Sighing, Ron walked over, picking up a blanket and placing it over the young Gryffindors body.


_______________________________________________________________________


Severus Snape's personal potions rooms


As soon as his feet landed inside his personal brewing rooms, he walked over to his store room and prepared all his potion ingredients. Within the next 30 minutes he had appropriately prepared everything, and began brewing. Severus Snape tried to stop his hands from shaking, lest he botch the potion. However, after the news he had received this afternoon, he could not help himself.


He felt confused, sad, happy, surprised and a sense of loathing in himself which was of the highest kind. Severus was the type of person who in general loathed himself, and often thought about the lives he had ruined; specifically Lily's. But now, he had his son to add to his list of deep regrets. A boy, his boys in which he had bullied for the past 5 years. Albus was right, the boy was too forgiving, it was clear that Pot...Harry had forgiven him for his past indiscretions. He reflected on the boys attitude throughout the years, and could not help but feel proud that his son was a fierce, loyal, and powerful wizard. Kind and forgiving, much like his dear mother.


Severus continued to think about the past, when he came back to the present realising that he had been brewing for the past 2 hours. Looking into the potion, he saw that it had turned the correct shade; the potion was completed.


Looking at the clock, his eyebrows rose in surprise, it was past 8:00pm and he had missed dinner in the great hall. Going into his draw he brought out a sharp knife, and slid the blade down his middle finger, allowing droplets of blood to be placed into a small vial. Harry, the potions master thought, he would need to extract some blood from the boy to validate whether they were actually father and son. Shifting from foot to foot, the potions master decided that now was as good of a time as any to get it. He moved swiftly to the door, and locked it with his wand. The professor could hear students returning from the great hall back to their common rooms. Bypassing all the students, the professor made his way back to the headmasters office to see Harry Potter.


_______________________________________________________________________


Headmasters Office


Professor Dumbledore was currently sitting on the couch enjoying a spot of tea when he heard the door knock. "Come in" he replied.


Severus Snape, walked into the room only stopping when he observed Albus sitting down.


"Ah, I see that the potion is ready. That didn't take too long did it" Dumbledore mused.


"I've been gone now a couple of hours...where's the boy?" Severus asked.


"When I realised that Harry was taking a long time to retrieve his books from his dorm. I sent a house elf to go and check in. Dobby reported back saying that Harry was fast sleep on his bed. That poor boy has had enough trouble to last him a life time... I do hope you will learn to control your temp..." the potions master quick cut off the headmaster asking him to get Dobby to go fetch the boy,


"Right away sirs, anything for the famous Harry Potter" Dobby stated before quickly vanishing.


Within two minuted Dobby had re-entered the headmasters office. "Dobby has woken Harry Potter, Harry will be coming up here shortly" And with that being said, the house elf vanished.


"Well, there is no use in just standing there Severus, do join me for a cup of tea"


"Why is it that you believe that every situation can be solved with a cup of tea" Severus snorted upon hearing Dumbledores response 'Because I am British...'


Not waiting to hear what Dumbledore was saying, Severus decided to place the potion on the table, then walk to the balcony for some fresh air. The weather outside today was beautiful. The wind was blowing just enough to have a cooling effect on the potion masters face. Closing his eyes Severus breathed in and out, whilst focusing on the sounds around him. He needed to gain his composure. Whilst brewing the parentis potion, he had felt his heart constrict. He knew deep down that this was not a hoax, and that the potion would in-fact turn out to prove that Pott..Harry was his biological child.


Opening his eyes, he looked at the scenery in front of him and thought back to all the times he has bullied and wronged this child..his child. He could not believe his luck, all these years believing that things had ended horribly with Lily. When in-fact she was his, he was her's and Harry was theirs. Just that thought along, Harry was theirs, was enough to keep him sane. He knew he would never remember the times they shared, but if the potion proved to be positive. Severus Snape knew that the burden that he had carried all these years would be gone. Upon that thought, he heard the large door the Dumbledore's Office open, and quick footsteps rushing into the room.


"Prof...Headmas...." Harry stood in the room panting, clutching the side of his ribcage.


Severus Snape walked back into the room, lifting an eyebrow as he observed Harry panting like a dog.


Gaining some composure, Harry spoke out "I'm soo sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep; promise! I laid down for one second then the next thing I knew. I was being shaken awake by Dobby"


"Relax dear boy, your father only walked through the door 10 minutes ago, which also allowed me to finish drinking my tea" Dumbledore stood up, and took the potion with him to a basin. It was a shallow light green dish which was very narrow. After placing the dish on the table, he un-corked the cap to the potion then poured in in the dish. Turning around he looked to Harry then Severus.


"My boys, I will unfortunately need a piece of hair or blood from you both the determine.." The headmaster was cut off by Severus placing a droplet of blood into the dish.


Both older gentleman turned to Harry who plucked a piece of his hair out of his scalp. Slowly, Harry inched his was closer to the dish, then slowly released the piece of hair.


With the liquid in the dish now starting to steam grey, all parties in the room looked to each other, then back to the dish. Severus was the only one to inch forward, holding his breath in anticipation. Upon looking at the contents of the dish, he sighed silently. Eyes fixed, and not moving. Harry did come closer to his father, then smiled once looking into the dish.


The second Harry looked to his father, their eyes linked. Severus did not say anything, however they stood there for a minute just staring. Behind those round black eyes, Severus could only think of one thought 'I'm sorry'.


Turning away, he looked back at the dish, then to his son one last time before walking towards the door. Harry went to say something when Severus turned around quickly. Without looking at anyone he walked over to the couch to retrieve the letter and box of photos. He walked back to the door then turned around one last time.


Looking at Harry, his son, Severus softly spoke a few words which would linger in Harry's memory till the day he died. "Thank you for setting me free Potter.. Harry. You have freed me of the pain of knowing that Lily chose James. However, my relief has been changed to deep despair and shame. For the way in which I have treated you all these many years. The shame in which I will bring to you for being your father an ex Death Eater and Slytherin.


I have belittled and bullies you for the duration of your education. For this, I do not blame you if you do not want to forgive me." Looking at his son, he sighed.


"You know, you really do look so much like Lily, even more so now that the glamor is gone. I do not know if I will ever be able to be a good father to you, like the old me. However you have my word that until my dying breath I will make this up to you. All I ask is that you give me time". 


And with Severus' final word, Harry walked up to Severus, and did the last thing that Severus thought he would do.


"There is no need to apologise, you already did that enough previously. I know that you cannot remember this, but I can. You have been the best father figure the past couple of months, more than I could have ever hoped for.


If you really want to make it up to me, please just let go. Let go of all past resentments, childhood grudges and let me be a part of your life."


The potions master was taken aback by his response, but was even more taken aback when Harry came up and wrapped his arms around him, and whispered quietly so only his father could hear.


"You are forgiven, always and forever. I know that mum would be really happy if she were here. I love you dad".


Severus slowly brought his arms up and embraced his son. One arm around his shoulder, and the other lying on the back of the boys head. They stayed embracing for what seemed like forever. Severus not being able to look at Harry, but also not being able to let go, squeezed his son and whispered.


"Your mother would be so very happy and proud. I loved her very much, and I love you too Harry. Forever and Always".

The End.
End Notes:

Thank you to all who have commented and read this story!! This is a wrap for now. Stay tuned for future works :)



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3466