When You Wish Upon a Star by mandancie
Summary: Harry is about to turn eight. Will his wish be granted? Pre-Hogwarts
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Remus
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Stern
Genres: Family, Fluff, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Werewolves
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 15268 Read: 16213 Published: 05 May 2018 Updated: 20 Jun 2018
Chapter 4 by mandancie
Author's Notes:
This story is almost finished. If things go as planned, only one more chapter left. Thank you so much for the support you have shown me with this.

The three wizards in the room said nothing. The only sounds were that of the quiet weeping of the small child's cries. Severus, trying to control his temper, looked over at Remus and took a step back.

Albus saw Severus moving and at first thought that he was leaving with the child.

“Severus,” Albus said.

“Calm him,” Severus said, his voice not betraying the slight panic he was feeling seeing those eyes. “Calm him down before he kills us.”

The Headmaster looked at Remus and then back at Severus just in time to see the protection charm fall over the potion master and the child. Albus' attention went to Remus.

Remus eyes were amber. Severus and Albus could see that Remus was trying to contain the rage wanting to get out. His wolf was angry and it felt that only blood will soothe the beast.

Albus walked closer to Remus. As much as he believed that Remus would not hurt him, he really didn't want to take chances with Harry. Waving his hand, he cast a stronger protection charm around him and Remus.

“John,” Albus said, quietly. “John, can you hear me?”

A low guttural noise was the only response.

“Talk to me, my boy,” Albus urged again.

“This is the second time he's mentioned that name,” Remus growled.

Severus and Albus could see that it was only a matter of time before the wolf took control.

“John, you need to calm down.”

“Whoever this 'Uncle Vernon' is, he hurt my cub!” Remus was yelling by the time he finished.

“Harry is fine.” Albus tried to soothe the wolf.

“This Vernon creature deserves to bleed for hurting my cub.”

Albus gripped Remus' neck with both of his hands and brought him closer so that he could whisper in the man's ear.

“Remus, listen to me, Harry is here. You brought him here. He's fine now.”

Pulling back, Albus realized that he wasn't getting through to him, he looked over at Severus. Severus was slightly rocking Harry. One of his hands was slowly rubbing circles on the child's back. Albus could see that the child was still tense.

Albus had an idea on what would calm the wolf down. It was risky, but it was the only way. Remus wasn't far from bolting out of the office, seeking his vengeance on the world for what happened to Harry.

“Severus,” Albus said, calmly. “Bring the child here.”

“Are you mad? He is going no where near him in that state,” Severus demanded.

“In order to calm him down, he has to physically feel and see that Harry is in fact fine. Bring the child over here.”

Severus did not like this idea. When Remus was in this mood, there was little that could calm him down. The only saving grace was the fact that he knew that the full moon was two days ago, so Remus was still in control of the deep rage, but the wolf was making itself known. But he did agree that they needed to calm him down. He just didn't like that they had to use the child.

Slowly, Severus walked back over towards Albus and Remus. His hand absently moving up and down the child's back.

When he was standing in front of them, Albus lifted his hand and started rubbing his back. When Harry felt the extra hand on his, his body tensed under the touch.

Harry heard the men talking. He didn't mean to make anyone upset. He just wanted to been seen as a good little boy. The nice men he met have been wonderful to him. He didn't know if they could love him, but they both given him something that he had never had before; fresh food, sweet milk, soft pillow, comforting embrace. He just didn't want this to end.

“Harry,” Albus whispered, bringing the small child out of his musing. “Can you trust me for a little bit?”

Harry's grip tightened around Severus' waist and neck, making the Potions Master grunt in pain.

“Harry, I promise you are still a good little boy, even if you are put down. You are a very good boy,” Albus soothed.

Harry loosened his grip around Severus' neck but not fully letting the man go. Harry turned his head, but didn't lift it from the comforting shoulder. Albus stepped over a little so that he could get in the child's line of sight.

“I'm a good boy?” Harry asked, meekly.

“Yes, you are,” Albus said without hesitation.

Harry lifted his head up and look at the man holding him as if trying to get conformation to what the older man was saying.

Severus nodded.

“A very good boy.”

Severus was shocked. Never had he validated anyone. Nor, had anyone looked for him for conformation. He didn't know what he was feeling about this child. This was James Potter's son. The same James Potter that made his school days a living hell. But he was also Lily's son. And he could see so much of his best friend in the boy in his arms.

“Harry, I need to ask a favor,” Albus said.

Still not letting go of the man in black, Harry slightly turned in Severus' arms to look at the older man.

“My friend is very sad,” Albus explained.

“The freak made him sad?” Harry asked, putting his head back on Severus' shoulder, trying to get some more comfort.

“You are not a freak,” Severus soothed as he patted the child's back.

“No, dear boy,” Albus quickly soothed, rubbing Harry's back. “I think he needs a hug from you. Only a very good boy, like yourself, can help Remus out.”

Harry looked over at the man who was nice to him first. He did give him his first meal in a while and he let him sleep on the couch and not in a dusty cupboard. He figured he owed the man at least a hug. He really didn't want to get down from the dark man's arms. But he was a freak and freaks aren't supposed to be comforted. But then, they kept saying that he wasn't a freak. If only he wasn't.

Biting his lip, Harry wiggled, hoping that was the right thing to do to get down. He didn't want to ask because he felt that would mean that he didn't want to be picked up again. If he asked to be put down, then if he wanted to be lifted again, they would say he asked for it and he wanted to be picked up again. It was more than just not having to walk anywhere. It was the feeling of being close to someone. And that someone wanting to make sure that you were safe and loved.

No one ever picked up someone that they didn't love. Harry Potter, the freak of Surrey, was proof of that.

Severus lowered the child onto the floor. Harry gripping his jacket, trying to wait till the very last second before letting go. When he feet touched the floor, he didn't want to let go. If he let go then it would mean that it didn't happen. As long as he held on, Harry could convince himself that it did happen. He did get picked up and carried. But he also wanted them to continue to see him as a good boy so he loosened his grip until he finally let go.

His throat burned at the separation but he was going to be a good boy and not let the tears fall.

Without being asked, Harry took the few steps over to the man he stayed the night with, reached up and tugged on his jacket. When the man looked down, Harry could have sworn the man's eyes looked like a burnt red color. That fascinated Harry. Without lifting his arms like he did the man in black, he felt hands under his arms and swiftly being picked up.

Harry's emotions he couldn't contain. He thought he would never have that feeling again and not a few minutes of being put down he was being picked up again. This time, tears sprung to his eyes and spilled over. He felt arms tightening around him as he was held. Harry buried his face in he man's shoulder as he felt himself moving.

Remus paced back a forth, holding Harry, breathing in the child's scent, as he tried to calm the wolf inside him. His cub was in his arms.

The slight swaying motion and subtle bounce in movement calmed Harry where they all could see that he was going to sleep.

Albus walked over to Remus, stopping him from his pacing. The headmaster could see that the small child's eyelids were getting heavy.

Rubbing the child's back, Albus said, “You are such a good boy, Harry. And you will be a good boy when you wake up in the morning.”

Harry lifted his head off the comforting shoulder and looked at the older man.

“This is a dream?” Harry asked.

Albus nodded. Both Severus and Remus gave the Headmaster a hard look at what he was implying to the child.

“You're tired, aren't you?” Albus asked.

Harry thought about it. That would explain so much. This was a dream. That's why he got something good to eat, and a soft place to sleep, and why he was cradled in loving arms. This was a good dream. A dream he didn't want to wake up from. But he was tired. A wide yawn escaped his mouth just thinking about how tired he was. Harry blinked with a sudden awareness. He twisted his body looking for the man in black. If this was a dream then he should be able to tell what's been going on.

Severus saw the child searching for him so he got closer to Remus. When he was close enough, Harry leaned over, holding his arms out. He was enjoying being carried around. When he was secure in the other man's arms, Harry wrapped his arms around his neck and laid his head on his shoulder.

“I want to tell you something,” Harry whispered.

“Alright, child,” Severus whispered back.

“Since you're a dream I know you can't tell Uncle Vernon.”

Severus heard the low growl come from the wolf, so he stepped back and walked over to the other side of the room. He would let Albus deal with calming Remus down again.

“Why did you tell him this was a dream?” Remus growled in a low voice.

“He can't stay here, Remus,” Albus whispered back. Both men were looking at Severus walk to the other side of the office.

“Whoever this Uncle Vernon is deserves to die for what he's done,” Remus said, adamantly.

“I'm sorry, Remus,” Albus sighed. “He's protected by the blood wards. It is the safest place for him.”

___000____0000____0000

Harry let out a yawn as he laid his head down on Severus' shoulder.

“You're nice,” Harry slurred, taking a deep breath. “Will you be in my dreams tomorrow?”

“Go to sleep, Harry.” Severus let his hand rubbed up and down the child's back, making sure this time Harry was indeed asleep.

When Severus turned around to face the other men in the room, Remus could see the anger in the man's eyes.

“Is he asleep?” Remus asked.

“He fell asleep five minutes ago.

“Give him to me,” Albus said, reaching over already trying to pry the child from the Potions Master's arms.

Severus reluctantly let the child go. Albus cast a sleeping spell over the small child to insure that he would stay asleep until he was back home. Albus knew that neither Remus, and looking at the expression on Severus' face, nor Severus understood why Harry had to go back.

Albus also knew that they weren't treating the young boy the best. He knew where he was sleeping, he just couldn't do anything about it, not until he was eleven. Maybe guardianship could be changed when he started Hogwarts, but now he had to stay with his aunt and uncle.

Without saying another word, Albus turned around and walked out of his chambers and stood at the floo. After throwing in the powder and giving his destination, Albus disappeared in the green flames.

Severus and Remus stood there for a second, trying to gather their thoughts. Severus, now angry, turned and walked towards the door. But not before walking past Remus and saying a few words before leaving the office.

“We need to talk. My office.”

Remus looked at the empty fireplace and then to the now closed door. A moment later Remus followed Severus out of the office and down to the Potion Master's office.

TBC

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3480