It's not enough by lastcrazyhorn
Summary: Harry wants what no one has thought to give him. Safety. Security. The ability to rely on someone else. And he's willing to go to any length to find it.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 2nd summer, 2nd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: Wanted
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 4918 Read: 101208 Published: 26 May 2018 Updated: 19 Jun 2018
Oddly neutral by lastcrazyhorn

“Mr Potter,” Snape calls out at the beginning of class.

“Sir?”  He looks up with a startled look.

“Please stay after class.”

“Y-Yes, sir,” He whispers, ignoring the titters from the Slytherin side of the room.

He can see Ron and Hermione looking at him in askance, and he gives them a tremulous smile.  

. . .

The end of the lesson is both far too soon and also interminable.

Snape gestures at him to follow after the last student has cleaned up their workstation.  He trails behind his professor in vaguely bewildered silence. The man was inexplicably neutral toward him during class, as though Harry were suddenly not worth the effort to yell at.  

Or he feels sorry for me.  

He pushes that thought far from his mind.  Snape has been many things to him, but pitying is not one of them.

His professor leads him back past his office to a portrait with a man and a snake in it that hisses a greeting to them both.  Snape leans in close and whispers something that Harry doesn’t hear. The portrait opens without a word, and he follows the man inside.

“This is your home?” He asks with surprise.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3483