Found A Peanut! by Hopeless Wanderer
Summary: There were only two things Harry James Potter and Severus Snape shared in common in the staff Halloween party that night, both were severely allergic to peanuts and Professor Trelawney had predicted their deaths more than once. What could go wrong?

*Halloween fic fest response*
Categories: Healer Snape, Fic Fests > Halloween 2018, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Flitwick, Hagrid, McGonagall, Other, Pomfrey, Umbridge
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: None
Prompts: Allergy Conundrum
Challenges: Allergy Conundrum
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3855 Read: 3343 Published: 02 Nov 2018 Updated: 02 Nov 2018
Chapter 1 by Hopeless Wanderer
Author's Notes:
With a little bit of delay, sorry about that.

The inspiration for this fic came from the children's song 'I found a peanut' that songs gives me the creeps every time.

read and enjoy, happy belated Halloween folks!
Severus was finally having a proper break.

He rarely ever had those, times where he could just relax his pose, lean back in his seat with a nice book and just let the world move on without him for a while. The mere idea was almost laughable given his job. Both as a teacher and as a double agent.

However, Severus managed to squeeze his hours in, this year-unlike the last nine- by pulling all-nighters to finish his study plans for the rest of the semester, marking all of the delayed essays and even managing to formulate an alternative detention plan whilst being on night patrol.

He just needed a break so badly, that he was willing to do anything to get it. Working at Hogwarts was no easy task, as not only a staff -member and a head of house, but even as a teacher…The job requirement was pushing.

Nothing, ever, went according to plan; he might have as well thrown his teaching regulations right out the window at the start of the year, because none of the teachers ever could manage to follow it to the dot.

It just wasn’t possible; he was always a few lessons behind or ahead of the manual, or something came up and his classes were canceled for longer than expected (Case point, last year's dragon pox breakout.). It also wasn’t uncommon of one of the idiotic students to just to ruin his classrooms by unleashing a poisonous fume or ingredient that contaminated his workplace.

And that was just the teaching part, without Severus considering the mere number of magical accidents that involved students. This was a magical school after all, and the students were hardly better than untrained five-year old toddlers were if it came to accidental magic, magic, that either led to casualties or cleared path for /another/ accident just waiting to happen.

Being a head of house mostly dealt with those issues, he swore, the entirety of his first semester was always spent either in the infirmary with a sour first year or in his office holding out handkerchiefs to bawling children. He sneered, blubbering fools.

He needed a break, and he needed it badly, but Potter’s presence in the school didn’t make things easy, if it wasn’t holiday preparations or staff meetings before, now it was running after an angry fifteen year old with an invisibility cloak in his possession.

Nevertheless…he finally got it. The Halloween break, unlike other years was being extended over the entire weekend and Severus couldn’t have been happier. Forty-eight hours of solitude spent in his quarters with an unfinished novel and his favorite herbal tea.

He promised himself he wouldn’t even get up to use the bathroom, and only move enough for others to know that he wasn’t stunned.

Then Minerva floo-ed to his quarters unannounced.

“Good evening Severus.” The Scottish woman inclined her head politely, brushing the soot off her robes with outmost grace.

Severus raised an eyebrow. “Well, I am sad to confess that it ended the moment you stepped through Professor.”

“Come off it Severus.” His colleague snapped at him. Severus knew that ever since the ‘toad’s presence’ in their castle the woman was as hissy as an angry feline. It was the main reason why he preferred to take his lunch in his office; the staff table was a silent warzone.

“What do you want?” he drawled rudely, his eyes drifting back to his open book.

Minerva walked over to the loveseat, glaring at the potion master. “I am your colleague, surely some courtesy or common respect wouldn’t kill you?” she waved her wand at Severus’s table lamp, silently transfiguring it into a golden goblet.

“I have run out of wine I’m afraid.” He dryly responded.

“I did wonder why you were uncommonly unpleasant today.” She bit back without missing a beat. “Constant intoxication doses down your rudeness considerably Professor.” She reached out with her wand.

“Accio firewhisky.” Severus’s liquor cupboard burst open and a half-filled bottle zoomed out, flying into Minerva’s firm grip.

Snape narrowed his eyes. “Oh, yes. You may help yourself to any beverages at my quarters, how polite of you to ask.” He waved a hand towards the glass cupboard sardonically and then returned to his novel.

Minerva resumed her cat like death glare as she filled her goblet to the brim and took a tentative sip. “I have a cause to celebrate Severus; it seems that Professor Umbridge’s presence is required at the ministry. Albus reassured Dolores that the extended holidays will accommodate her emergency leave.”

“Oh, how sad.”

“Yes I’m heart-broken.” She deadpanned, draping her left leg over the other.

They sat in silence for a few beats before Severus finally sighed, and closed his book with a sharp snap. “Minerva, I think both of us would greatly appreciate it if you state the reason for your visit sooner rather than later.”

She cleared her throat, her back straightening as she took on her famous scolding mode. “The staff have decided to celebrate Halloween the old fashioned way in Dolores’s absence.” She said slowly, her tone daring him to protest. “You are invited to join the dinner party as well.”

Severus rolled his eyes, frustration pumping in his blood. “You mean Albus wanted to throw a dinner party and forced you to force me to attend.”

“Yes.”

“Lovely.” He clicked his tongue at the end while he glared at his colleague. “I hope you will forgive my nonappearance ahead of time Minerva,”
Severus drawled with feigned distress. “I Believe I have taken sick. It’s contagious, and quite deadly.” He inclined his head mockingly.

“Thank you for the invite.”

“Albus insisted Severus. Surely you don’t want him to come down here would you?”

“I’m calling in sick ahead of time. I don’t see where the problem is.”

“Poppy will be attending the party as well.”

“Of course she is.”

“Just for an hour Severus. It’s common courtesy and since Pomona is our host this year, it will make her happy as well.”

“I’m busy, as you can see.”

“Busy doing what?” she scowled as though Severus was one of her unruly students.

“Nothing, which is the point.” He gritted. “Frankly, I have stacks of /nothing/ to attend to for at least three days. I’m sure you understand why I find the opportunity enticing.”

“I think you were mistaken. You’re busy staying here sulking. As you do every year. I see that there is no convincing you Professor Snape, I shall take my leave then.”

“Yes you shall.”

“I hope Albus has better luck than I Severus, good day.”

“Minerva…”

“Severus Snape, you are a grown adult with responsibilities. When you’re invited to a social event one of your colleagues is hosting you will show enough respect to at least put in an appearance.”

“Give me a rest.”

“I might, but Albus won’t. Don’t make things hard on yourself Severus. One hour of socializing and a decent dinner won’t kill you.”

“Tell Albus he owes me.”

“Tell him yourself at dinner tonight.” She joyously called over her shoulder as she stepped through the green flames roaring his fireplace.

“Wait bring back the…” his voice trailed off as the woman disappeared in the green flames. She took his lamp. That was the third time the woman left with his transfigured furniture. Blasted woman.

He sagged back against his seat, sneering. He hated transfiguration.

**

Turned out Albus was not all that concerned about Severus showing up to the dinner party, Severus fumed silently upon entering the decorated staff room. It seemed the headmaster had a guest of his own.

Where all the staff were seated around the enormous round table in the middle of the room, Potter, also occupied a special seat next to Madam Hooch and the headmaster, looking as uncomfortable as Severus was starting to feel.

The decoration was ridiculous, charmed bats flied around the charmed ceiling, the lights dimmed to give off an orange glow and Pomona had clearly outdone herself with the gigantic Jack o’ Lanterns that floated around the table. There was some spooky music playing from an old phonograph.
“Oh there you are Severus!” Albus called out, standing up.

The potion master strode to an empty seat, the one that was the furthest from Potter’s squirming figure. “I was told that I was invited.”
Pomona clicked her tongue disapprovingly, looking even plumper in her brown dress robes.

“Of course you were invited Severus.” She exclaimed, rushing him to his chair. “Don’t be ridiculous.” She shoved him into a chair next to Flitwick and Hagrid. Both men awkwardly paused their eating for a polite greeting.

Snape scowled, glowering at Potter’s frightful face, pale as a chalk as the boy stared at him.

“I was under the impression that this was a staff only event.” He bit out to Albus, who was chattering with Minerva. Albus chuckled as took a look at Potter and ten back at him. Minerva smirked and raised her goblet, his /lamp/ mind you. Not her goblet.

“I had the most pleasant surprise Severus.” The old man grinned while Potter hung his head in shame. “Harry and I met on my way here as he was just headed to the perfect bathrooms; it was a shame not to bring him along. Isn’t it just delightful?”

Potter sank lower in his seat, his flushing face completely hidden behind his forearms that rested on the table.

Hooch elbowed Albus. She looked a bit too bubbly to be sober. “Now there Albus, that’s enough. No need to embarrass Potter any more than we need to.”

Rolling her eyes, Minerva turned her eyes to Potter. “Mr. Potter,” the lad straightened up immediately, still flushing to his roots. Severus knew that he got that from his mother. At times, he had caught her turning as red as her flaming hair. He jeered at the boy.

“Yes Professor?” Potter meekly stared at Minerva, his hands still resting on the table.

“Elbows off the table, if you will.” She briskly ordered him. “Try the pumpkin pie.”

Potter retracted his arms from the table so quickly it was all a blur. Hooch grabbed the boy’s plate and filled it up for him before thrusting it into the Gryffindor’s hands. “I think I should really go…”

“Nonsense Potter.” Flitwick interrupted and Hagrid eagerly agreed with a full mouth, sending bread crumbs everywhere, Severus scowled, impassively brushing the crumbs off his robes.

Only Umbridge and Trelawney were absent from the party, even Charity Burbage was there at the table alongside Poppy, and Severus envied them both. It wasn’t as if he wasn’t tormented this day of all days with his thoughts, Albus had to bring the living evidence of his failure to rub it in his face too.
He had orphaned Potter on a Halloween night just like this; his ignorance had cost him both Lily and his dignity, now the fifteen-year-old blushing boy was the living symbol of all he had lost.

Severus’s death glare deepened. Only one helping, he thought to himself, then he would get back to his novel and mug of tea, pretending as if he hadn’t noticed the date in despite of the decorations and this horrifying excuse of a dinner.

Potter gulped loudly, the plate teetering in his hands. “But I really…” Poppy Pomfrey gave Potter a motherly smile. “They’re really delicious Harry. Pomona had them made specifically with her own recipe. Give it a try, don’t be shy!”

“Yes I did!” Pomona smiled sweetly. “And I must say the house-elves have done a brilliant job.”

Potter lowered his plate on the table and took his fork with great effort, still looking self-conscious. After he took the first bite, apparently, all the tension vanished from the dinner table and the teachers broke into smaller gossiping group, chattering amongst themselves.

Severus kept to himself, trying to make himself scarce as he sat between Hagrid and Flitwick’s heated discussion about magical creatures.

“…Don’t you worry a little bit about that Quidditch ban Potter.” Minerva was reassuring Potter. “Your broom is safe and sound in my office awaiting you.” Severus curled his lips, munching on the minced pie he had grudgingly piled on his plate.

Of course that is all Potter’s worried about, he internally sneered. Not the dark lord chasing his hide, no, a simple, juvenile Quidditch ban. Typical Potter.

“Thanks Professor.” The Gryffindor nervously blurted out, his left hand immobile on his lap as he ate with his right.

“I should hope that Potter is fretting over something more crucial than being banned from a game.” Severus finally snapped at Minerva, unable to control himself any further.

Potter’s eyes narrowed, while some of the staff (those who weren’t looped in a discussion of their own) clicked their tongues.
“Now there Severus…” Albus started.

“It’s hardy orderly Albus,” Severus said. He knew he was pushing his luck but all of his senses were high strung. “Wandering in the perfect bathrooms in the middle of the night and fretting over a broom. We’re all quite familiar with Mr. Potter’s education here,” he nodded at the disapproving teachers.
“And according to his grades, as far as I’m concerned…Quidditch should be the least of his worries.”

Just as Minerva, Hagrid and Pomona were about to pummel him to death the doors burst open Sybil Trelawney rushed into the hall, turning every head to herself as she hurried to the table with a tray shaking in her hands.

“Oh Sybil, how good of you to join us. I thought you weren’t coming.” Albus smiled sweetly at the bug-like woman dropped the tray on the dinner table and fixed her huge glasses.

“Yes well Albus,” Sybil fixed her shambled robes and fidgeted with her hands. “The inner eyes tends to initiate the unexpected.”

Most of the teachers refrained from rolling their eyes for Potter’s sake, as the boy sunk /even/ further down in his seat, this time in disgust and displeasure, rather than embarrassment, Severus did no such a thing.

“Is the inner eye also responsible for the flurry of ribbons you brought over?” Severus pointed at the shredded orange ribbons that must have been part of the decorations, trailing after Trelawney’s messy robes. Sybil narrowed her wide eyes at him.

“No,” she said as if he was a child. “They caught my robes in a hurry, is all. Honestly Severus…I knew you lacked the inner eye but this is ridiculous.” Snape jeered and turned his head away. She drew herself a chair next to Albus and abruptly jolted away when she saw Potter trying to disappear in his chair.

“Dear merlin!” she exclaimed. Potter flinched, but didn’t raise his head.

“What is it Sybil?” Flitwick asked with hidden exasperation.

“What are you doing here dear?!” she asked Potter, her eyes bulging.

Albus took one pitying look at a horrified Potter, and then wiped his pastry covered chin with a handkerchief before replying. “Well you see Sybil, Harry and I ran in each other as he was heading out of the perfect’s bathrooms and I…”

“Yes that’s all well and fine,” she brushed Albus off, standing, the lanky witch moved between the seats and stood next to Potter in a flash. “But what are you doing here Potter?” Harry mumbled something; his hands were tightly gripping the hem of his pajamas. “I explicitly warned you to stay in your dorm tonight; your life is in grave danger my boy! Quick, hurry and get out while you still can!”

“That’s enough for tonight Sybil.” Minerva snapped at the woman.

Hagrid rumbled in agreement from Severus’s left. “Yea’! Leav’ the lad alone will ya’?”

“Don’t tell me that I didn’t warn you Minerva when the lad turns up d-”

“That’s quite enough! Harry is a fifteen year old boy Sybil, and Hogwarts is the safest place for him. I’m sure there’s no danger here.”

The table was reduced into an awkward silence before Sybil finally took her seat. “I suppose those without the gift will never understand the urgency. You cannot help those who don’t want to be helped.” She sent a meaningful glare at Potter and the boy bit his lips, his eyes narrowed and downcast.
“You’ve brought us something?” Pomona asked pleasantly, trying to snap everyone out of the awkwardness.

“Oh those…Yes, one of my own recipes. You should all give it a try.” She passed the bejeweled purple tray around the table, starting with Dumbledore, each took one glittery cupcake out of courtesy, the headmaster even forced Severus to take to one after a pointed stare.

He hated social gatherings, he truly did.

He looked at his wristwatch, not too long now, he thought. Only fifteen minutes and he could leave to sulk in peace. The table was chaotic once again, Flitwick and Hagrid were back at their bantering, Albus and Minerva were busying Sybil and Potter was awkwardly managing to unwrap his cupcake only with his right hand.

Strange, Severus mused, was there something wrong with the boy’s left hand? He turned his head to interrupt Poppy and Pomona with the question but then thought better of it, no point in drawing attention to himself, not with fifteen minutes at risk.

He mindlessly took a bite from Trelawney’s cupcake as he counted the seconds down.

“Mm, I must say Sybil this is truly terrific.” Albus complimented the witch, taking another bite of his cupcake. “Did you make them yourself?”

“Why yes Albus, I most certainly-Oh my goodness Potter!”

Potter coughed loudly in response, wheezing and tomato red in the face. Some teachers stood as Poppy quickly drew her wand.

“Is he choking?”

“Poppy do something!”

Potter was clutching his throat and beating his chest as he coughed, Severus could see the swelling on Potter’s face and hands as the coughing fit continued.

Poppy rushed to Potter’s aid as others stood back, watching in horror as Potter started gagging. Severus narrowed his eyes, swelling, coughing and a runny nose…Potter was having an allergic reaction of some kind.

“He needs an EpiPen right now Poppy!” he shouted, also scurrying to Potter’s side. The boy was almost nonresponsive now, his eyes half lid as his face swelled up. Poppy flicked her wand a few times, attempting to clear Potter’s airways, as other teachers were disarray.

The hall erupted into mayhem.

Sybil rose to her feet, her eyes wide open and her expression manic. “I told you Potter! Haven’t I? I warned him!”

“Shut up you crazy witch!”

Albus was waving his hands, gesturing for others to maintain quiet as Potter was coughing his lungs up, his entire hand was now covered in hives. “Now there, if one of you could rush into the infirmary and find an EpiPen that would be much appreciated…”

“I’ll go ge’ it Professo’!” the ground shook as Hagrid ran out of the hall.

“Someone besides Hagrid?! Please?”

“I’ll fly there now!” Hooch shouted jovially, raising her goblet.

“And somebody take the firewhisky from Rolanda’s hands for Merlin’s sake!”

“Filius?!”

Severus closed his eyes in annoyance, took a very deep breath and shouted at the top of his lungs. “SETTLE DOWN YOU FOOLS!” even the music stopped, Potter’s insistent wheezing being the only sound that momentarily filled the hall. Severus snapped into action; Potter’s allergy seemed severe enough to need dire medical attention now, and they couldn’t risk the floo or jostling him through three sets of moving staircases.

He cursed under his breath. /this/ was why he didn’t socialize.

“Sprout,” he barked out, rubbing big circles across Potter’s back with one firm hand. “The EpiPen, use the floo, we don’t have time.” Pomona hurried to the fireplace.

“Minerva get Trelawney and Hooch /out/ of here and Albus, come help Poppy clear Potter’s nose or else he dies.”

Potter panicked at his words, whimpering through his itchy throat and struggling harder to breathe, his left hand waved at Snape and then frantically pointed at his throat.

“Yes Potter I know, you cannot breathe, hold on.” Albus flicked his wand when his turn arrived after Poppy, even in despite of their best efforts Potter still seemed moments away from passing out cold.

“You idiotic boy! How could you possibly not know that you’re allergic to…” he trailed off, looking down at Potter’s scarce plate. It couldn’t have been the pumpkin pie, he would have noticed it immediately if it had been. Then what was Potter allergic to? The glitter?

Pomona floo-ed back into the hall, her chest heaving as she raced to the four of them with a white EpiPen clutched in her hands. Poppy didn’t waste a second; she seized the object from Pomona’s hands and slammed it into Potter’s thigh.

Potter took a rattling breath, his eyes closing at the sudden relief.

He gasped for a few seconds, savoring the fresh air. He opened and closed his mouth several times.

“We need to get him to the infirmary.” Poppy said, conjuring a floating cot. Severus nodded, he, too, was trying to catch his breath after the excitement.

Potter wheezed, and struggled to open his puffy eyes. “Peanuts!” he gnashed, his hands clenched into fists. “Darn peanuts! She wanted…,” he heaved in another breath. “Wanted to kill me!”

Severus stilled, his mouth going slack as he looked back and forth between his plate and Potter’s, methodically watching Trelawney’s half-eaten cupcakes on both. Oh no, he thought. It couldn’t be.

His chest mockingly started burning and Severus swore at loud, clutching his chest.

“Poppy?” he calmly called out to the matron.

“Just a moment Severus,” she said as she was straightening a distraught Potter on the floating cot. He made eye contact with Albus, the old man’s eyebrows shot in his ridiculous orange hat.

“Poppy.” Albus called the matron this time.

Potter’s cot floated ahead and Poppy briskly trailed after the boy, frowning.

“Yes Albus?”

“Poppy you might want to get another EpiPen.” Severus groaned, glaring daggers at his plate, as his chest slowly, insufferably, started to tighten up.

He gave the headmaster a dirty look as he started limping after Poppy. “I dare you to invite me…to these atrocities again. I dare you old man.”

He supposed he could still catch a break, spending three nights in the infirmary and missing out on his novel and a Potter-free weekend. He was going to have to wait for Christmas.

Blasted peanuts, he sneered in his mind. He cursed Albus one last time before his mind went blissfully blank.
The End.
End Notes:
rate&review


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3507