The Choices We Made by JewelBurns
Summary: *COMPLETE* What if you could change your biggest regret? After a devastating event occurs, Snape from an alternate reality is given that chance, but ends up in the canon universe. Will he be able to gain back what he's lost while helping to save the wizarding world at the same time? AU post-OOTP, adopt/mentor, Sick!Harry,
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Secretive
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry, Kidnapped!Harry, Kidnapped!Snape, Physical Impairment, Snape-meets-Dursleys, Time Travel
Takes Place: 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: Choices We Made Universe
Chapters: 75 Completed: Yes Word count: 558263 Read: 121651 Published: 06 Jun 2020 Updated: 22 Oct 2020
Chapter 39: The Interrogation by JewelBurns
Author's Notes:
And a big Thank You to everyone who has reviewed! I'm sorry for the double cliffhanger, but hopefully it was worth it.

~~~~SS~~~~

"Put me down Lupin!" Severus bellowed angrily the moment both men stepped out from the floo. The former spy thought Lupin was overreacting to begin with and the last thing he wanted was to cause Harry any more reason to panic, "I can walk perfectly fine."

"What happened?" The young Gryffindor asked expectantly, making a move as if to get up from the sofa, but then changed his mind and leaned back against it. Obviously, he was still feeling ill and Severus was pleased to finally see at least some sense of self-preservation in the teen. Perhaps he was actually getting through to Harry about taking care of his own needs occasionally.

"We were ambushed," the werewolf answered helping Severus sit down in the armchair. "Right at the end too..."

The former spy stopped listening to the conversation around him the moment he set his eyes on the healer tied up, unconscious on the floor. His mind immediately started contemplating what could have happened tonight for Alton to have ended up in that position. With both Draco and Harry here, it was impossible to determine who cast the spells on the healer, and even with Draco's alliance solidified he didn't want to give away the fact that Harry's magic was not in fact depleting. His final - and most important - observation before asking the burning question, was that it appeared as if both Harry and Draco were safe and mostly unharmed.

"What the hell happened here?" Severus quickly interrupted drawing both boys and Lupin's attention to the man tied up in the room.

Harry's brows lowered, "Malfoy was-"

"I was saying his sorry life," Draco called out without the malice Severus would have expected given the situation he had returned to. If Draco took down Alton, it would almost be worth asking to see the memory just find out how Harry had reacted. He could guess it had not gone well.

"He didn't try a single thing to threaten my life!" Harry spat back appearing exceedingly pale. Surveying around the room, Severus noticed another thing missing.

"Where are Mr. Weasley and Miss. Granger? They were supposed to stay here with you," The defense professor asked Harry, holding back a grimace. He hates to admit to himself that he desperately needed to see Madam Pomfrey this time around.

"I didn't need them here," Harry replied defiantly before changing his tone to one of confusion. "Or I didn't think I did because I thought you sent Healer Smithe. Apparently I was wrong?"

"Yes, you were wrong. I sent Ron and Hermione down here," Severus replied with a groan. He stood back up and struggled to remove his outer robe, a feat made more difficult by also trying not to move his left arm. Even through his black clothing, it was obvious his side was bleeding and he needed to see how bad the cut was.

"I told you to be careful," Harry spoke up and his face flushed giving away his impromptu concern. Lupin appeared confused and it was hard to remember that with Harry isolated away, that statement would be particularly odd to the outsider.

"Oh don't worry Harry," Lupin said, "Severus held his own out there. You should have seen the Death Eaters he managed to take down."

"It was far too easy," the former spy said, distracted by summoning his own personal supply of Essence of Dittany to start healing his wounds.

Unfortunately, his left arm and side had been hit by a well aimed Sectumsempra via Bellatrix - giving him yet another reason to want to rid the world of her presence - so he first started the counter curse incantation. Given the depth of the wounds, he wouldn't be surprised if he needed further healing even after applying the Essence of Dittany afterwards, and even then, he may still have issues using his arm come Monday morning.

"I always took you as a more modest man than that Severus," Lupin chuckled. He watched the professor healing his wounds, but knew better than to even try to help the stubborn professor.

"Not that Lupin," Severus yelled, "the mission! Wouldn't you agree that it was a little too easy to enter the manor tonight?"

The former Death Eater was genuinely surprised when Lupin actually took a moment to consider the suggestion. He would have half expected the other man to wave off his observation as paranoid.

"Yes, I do," he eventually said thoughtfully, "However, leaving the manor proved to be much more complicated than expected. Isn't that how these things usually go?"

"Did you get them?" Draco suddenly asked impatiently. He was on edge, likely knowing if the mission went south, he would likely be blamed for bad intelligence.

"We did," Severus replied with another moan. The large cut from his left shoulder down to his elbow had been deep and in addition to the dozens of cuts scattered across his face, Severus had several burns, particularly on the left side. He had managed to heal his side and arm at least enough to be able to floo without incurring more damage, yet it still would need further care once they arrived at Headquarters where Poppy was waiting on the injured. "They're at the safe house as we speak with Albus."

Relief crossed the blonde Slytherin's face and he then asked, "So why are you here instead of Headquarters? Weren't you supposed to go straight there?"

"Unfortunately we had company when we apparated," Lupin explained checking himself for injuries, "so we went to different location hoping they wouldn't be able to follow, sent word to Dumbledore, and then as an extra precaution floo'ed here to wait for the hunt to end."

"So then what happened? Obviously something went wrong" Harry asked, turning between the other men in the room. "And why does Malfoy know what's going on?"

"We needed his assistance on something for the Order," Severus explained honestly. He could tell Harry was about to argue until the floo turned bright green and Albus walked out with a purpose - not even pausing as his eyes wandered over to Alton still knocked out on the floor - followed immediately by Molly. The red-headed witch was frantically searching the room until she spotted Harry and walked over to him to give him a hug.

"Are you ready Severus?" The headmaster asked, approaching his professor. "Poppy is ready for you at Headquarters. It looks as if we should take the opportunity to escort Healer Smithe alongside us. What a convenient coincidence."

"You can't go anywhere," Harry said standing. He was holding onto the edge of the sofa to help stay steady on his feet. "You're obviously hurt!"

"Madam Pomfrey is already at Headquarters," Molly repeated patting Harry's arm nervously. Severus silently questioned who else showed up injured or if there were any fatalities, but he dared not ask in the current company. "She'll be sure to heal him straight away."

"Draco, are you injured?" Severus asked grimacing as he stood to take his leave.

"Nothing much sir," the blonde replied.

"Stay here and we will discuss what happened tonight once I return," he then did his best to kneel in front of Harry, however his body was in too much pain to bend. "I would say you don't need to wait up, except I know how your mind works by now and you will anyways. So instead, should you be up when I return, we'll discuss an abridged version of tonight's events. I promise you this was not how I saw the events of tonight going and that you are completely safe; as am I."

Harry audibly gulped at the last sentence, giving away how nervous he was about it all. There was zero chance of the Gryffindor sleeping before Severus's return, meaning the professor had another long night ahead of him.


Using the floo to get to headquarters agitated Severus's partially healed injuries. Therefore, walking - or more accurately limping - into the dining room of Grimmauld Place was excruciating. The room around him couldn't be further from the dining room it originally was, and instead appeared more like the combination of a command center and a first aid tent in the middle of a battle. Moody was debriefing Kingsley at one end of the table, proof that his injuries had already been healed by the lack of cuts and burns across his face as Severus had last seen him. The two men made eye contact and the former Auror gave a small nod of appreciation to the defense professor. Severus had no idea if Kingsley and his team had endured the same level of confrontation as the team at Malfoy Manor had at the end, yet based on the condition of the witches and wizards around the room, whatever they experienced was not easy.

Albus guided a levitating Alton Smithe through the dining room and into the drawing room where he proceeded to tie the still-bound healer upright in a chair.

"Veritaserum?" Severus asked his mentor, taking a seat in a plush armchair, cradling his left arm.

He wanted to get this over with and head back to Harry and the truth serum was the most effective way. It wasn't that he thought Molly was unable to handle whatever may come up with Harry tonight, it was simply that he was tired and he wanted - more than anything - to explain himself to the teen about what had happened. The Gryffindor had to be confused as to why his healer had been bound and dragged unconsciously off to the Order's headquarters, as well as why Severus had gone into battle at Malfoy Manor in the first place. He hated both the situation and himself for putting Harry through the anxiety he had to be feeling over all of this.

"I don't think that will be necessary," Albus explained. The look in his eyes told Severus that the headmaster wanted him to use Legilimency. It would be a more accurate way to extract the necessary information from the man. "What is necessary, is that you're seen by Poppy prior to our interrogation."

With her normal impeccable timing, the medi-witch entered the drawing room in a huff.

"Of all the impulsive things you could have done," she lectured towards the headmaster while tending to Severus's wounds, "sending two groups in completely unprepared and under supported; it was practically a suicide mission."

"Were there any losses?" The former spy asked hesitantly.

"Not from our side my boy," Albus quickly said causing Severus to narrow his eyes in response. How many Death Eaters had they been able to take down between the two battles? Unfortunately, no matter the number it obviously wasn't anyone high up in the ranks, as Severus had seen most of them accounted for before he'd left the Manor.

It took roughly twenty minutes for the medi-witch to heal his wounds as much as they could with magic and potions. The burns on his face and along his left side were easily handled with burn salve and she'd managed to finish the healing to his side that he had started in his quarters. As he'd expected, the cuts on his arm and side required extensive healing to the muscle and nerves underneath and he was required to use a sling for extra support. No matter how insistent he was that he was fine and did not require the damn sling, when Poppy threatened to keep him overnight at the hospital wing he conceded under the conditions that he would rest his arm for at least the next two days.

Making eye contact with Albus, he nodded his head to the unasked question. It was time to wake up Alton and find out exactly what had been going on with the healer. The two wizards pulled their wands and pointed them directly at Alton Smithe.

"Rennervate" Albus said; neither wizard made a move as the healer stirred in front of them. His hands and legs were still bound - in addition to being bound to the chair - and naturally the man struggled against the restraints until he saw both wizards standing with their wands brandished at his chest.

"Severus?" The healer asked highly confused, "What's going on? Where am I?"

"You get one chance to cooperate with me Alton or your wife and daughter will be sent back to the Dark Lord and I will not stop him from doing whatever he wants with them," the former Death Eater threatened darkly. He was bluffing about Sarah and Mary, of course, nonetheless he needed to create an emotional response so he could quickly and most effectively use Legilimency.

As anticipated, Alton's kind brown eyes went wide and having zero training in how to handle a wizarding interrogation, he immediately stared directly into Severus's dark black eyes. The professor was focused - not even hearing the healer ask if his family was finally safe - and the moment they made eye contact, his wand was pointed at Alton's head and he said "Legilimens."

Severus was thrust into his friend's mind and immediately saw flashes of Sarah and Mary throughout the years, being as they were clearly fresh on Alton's mind. Having no Occlumency training, it was not at all difficult to pass by those innocent thoughts and followed the thread to find the ones he was searching for. It was still highly chaotic and the scenes quickly flashed across his own mind-

"Why are you treating Harry Potter?" The dark voice of Voldemort could be heard ringing through his ears.

The former spy clung to that memory before it could escape and he entered it.

"It's confidential... between a patient and his doctor," Alton bravely replied. Dolohov and Macnair were holding onto each of Alton's arms tightly as he stood before the Dark Lord in what Severus recognized as their old headquarters; meaning this incident occurred before the Privet Drive attack and when his own cover was blown.

"It is my understanding that you have a wife and daughter, correct? A... Muggle wife?" The Dark Lord asked with a sadistic laugh before he clearly performed Legilimency onto Severus's friend. The professor watched as his friend writhed in pain on the floor from the abrasive technique of the Dark Lord; something he'd had the unfortunate opportunity to experience himself. Alton was sweating, likely from the forced Legilimency, and the professor felt a wave of guilt for doing the same thing to the man at this very moment,

"It's called Leukemia," Alton said with a tremble in his voice. He was now bowed down - forcibly, Severus noted - before the Dark Lord with the two Death Eaters still by his side. "it's a muggle disease not commonly found in strong wizards."

"Harry Potter is not a strong wizard!" Voldemort yelled in disgust.

"Either way," Alton begged, "that's what he has. Can I go now?"

The two Death Eaters and the Dark Lord all gave another evil laugh.

"We've only just begun. I expect a full report on the boy whenever my loyal followers call upon you."

Severus could feel the fear spreading through Alton's mind and body as the picture around him went black and the healer's screams could be heard echoing in all directions around him.

It was still pitch black when Alton's screams ceased and were replaced by talk of potions and muggle chemotherapy treatment options; and how Harry chose the latter. As expected, the healer provided the intimate details of what Harry's treatment entailed, as well as his schedule; specifically when the Gryffindor was at his lowest point. Severus used his own Occlumency shields to control the anger and disappointment in his friend.

"You should have come to me, I could have helped you!" Severus said to Alton within his mind.

The overhead voices stopped suddenly and the professor found himself once again in front of Voldemort. This time he was at Malfoy Manor with Bellatrix standing behind the man.

"Why do my potions appear to be failing me?" The dark wizard asked. This time only one unidentifiable Death Eater accompanied Alton in addition to Bellatrix's presence.

"I can't possibly know that," the healer pleaded. "I don't specialize in magical ailments or healing potions. You have to believe me!"

"I don't have to do anything in regards to you," the Dark Lord spat back. "Cruico!"

Severus turned away when his friend fell to the floor writhing in pain. He knew how his friend was feeling having also been subjected to that curse many times before. The only solace Severus felt was that Alton had every chance to seek help from the Order and yet he chose to continue to betray them. They could have prevented this, they would have helped him.

Once the curse was lifted, the Dark Lord said, "You will find me an answer or Sarah and little Mary will pay the price for your incompetence.

"Bellatrix, shall you show our guest a sample of what should happen if Grayback were to get a hold of his Mary? I feel like the werewolf would be much appreciative of that treat; children are his specialty."

There was more sardonic laughter as the black overcame the memories and they shifted again.

Sarah and Mary Smithe were being firmly held on either side of the Dark Lord. Severus hadn't seen either of them in a couple of years, however he would recognize them anywhere. Sarah was being held by a masked Death Eater, while Grayback had his filthy hands on Mary. It was quite obvious that both of them had been crying based on their red swollen eyes.

"Severus seems to find it significant that Harry's cancer lives within his blood," Alton explained almost too quickly.

"Elaborate," the Dark Lord pointed his wand towards Mary.

"I don't know why," Alton begged, "he urgently asked me yesterday to explain about how the cancer lives and grows within Harry's blood, but I swear he told me nothing about it's significance!"

The healer wouldn't notice the recognition in the Dark Lord's face as he came to the same realization that Severus had while having the almost identical conversation with Alton. It was fitting that even though the evil wizard could have used almost any witch or wizard's blood for his resurrection, he chose the one wizard who held a dormant disease hopefully capable of finally killing the bastard. Perhaps the prophecy would be right after all...

After seeing enough to know that Alton hadn't been voluntarily working for the Dark Lord, Severus pulled out of his mind. The whole experience had been similar to the Occlumency training he'd done with Harry in this reality; it was forceful, it was hard, and it was cruel. The thought of doing that to the boy he thought of as his son was sickening.

Albus's bright blue eyes were the first thing he saw coming back into the drawing room at Grimmauld Place. Alton was slumped forward - still bound firmly to the chair - panting and sweating.

"What the hell was that for?!" Alton yelled.

"I think you know Alton," the former spy said slowly. He straddled a wooden chair directly in front of his friend's face. "We've discovered your other job. Just how much information have you been providing to the Dark Lord?"

The healer bit at his lower lip, "They had my family! You don't understand what a man would do for his family!"

Raising a single eyebrow at that statement Severus lowered his head. Not that he would say so, but he couldn't really blame the man. If he'd been in that position, with Lily and Harry being held captive, he would have done whatever he could to protect them, yet for him that would have meant going to Albus for help. "I didn't ask for your excuses, I asked what information you have provided. How long have you been working for them?"

"I'm not working for them," the bound man called, "I was forced to give that information! Until Sarah and Mary were taken I tried my hardest to withhold everything I could."

Albus took a step forward, "They are safe Alton. Earlier tonight we sent a team into Lord Voldemort's headquarters and retrieved them both. We have them protected and will keep them safe for as long as you can help us. He cannot hurt you or them anymore."

Alton's eyes gave way to the confliction within his mind, which then gave way to relief; ironically it was the same relief Severus had felt when he saw Harry was still safe back home. The big question was, would he choose to trust them in the end?

"They first grabbed me after one of those early visits to Harry's home for chemotherapy. At first, I had no idea what was going on and what they were talking about," the healer quietly said. "I was intentionally trying to be as vague as possible, until he did whatever it was you just did to me and saw our conversation about his diagnosis. At that point, it didn't really matter because he already knew of the Leukemia.

"I explained how Harry's being treated for it and I think he can tell Harry has had a difficult time with the side effects. I was called in after one particularly bad set and it appeared as if he were feeling like Harry. He was using an awful lot of different potions."

It was an interesting theory, except that Alton hadn't studied mind magic in the wizarding world to know if something like that were possible through the connection Harry and the Dark Lord share. The professor wasn't even sure any references to this type of connection existed.

"Are they really safe?" Alton asked looking feverishly between the two other men, "He'll kill me once he knows they're gone! I just need to know that they are safe."

Severus sighed, "Trust me, he already knows they're gone. Provided you've been truthful with us, one of our members - Nymphadora Tonks - will be taking you to them. You will all be staying in hiding for the foreseeable future."

"What about Harry?" The healer hung his head in shame, "He still has a long way to go and I want to finish this out with him."

"That will not be necessary," Albus interjected, "you will oversee his progress from the safe house we'll provide for you, however you will need to pass off the hands-on work to another colleague. Or perhaps it is something Madam Pomfrey can do?"

Alton shook his head almost violently, "No. She won't be able to get the muggle medications from the pharmacy. My consultant - Meghan Swanson - is mostly up to speed on Harry's condition and progress. I'll give you her information and I don't foresee any issues with her taking over. As a muggle though, she'll need transport into the castle to either deliver his medication for Poppy to administer or to administer it herself. The rest of this round's meds are already with Poppy and she can handle it."

There was already one muggle in the castle, expanding the wards would not be difficult, except it didn't change the fact that Severus would need to do some serious vetting of this new physician and he was not comfortable with Harry under a muggle's care. The Gryffindor's case was already abnormal for the wizarding world, a muggle wouldn't come close to understanding. Ultimately, that was where keeping Alton appraised on Harry's progress would be helpful.

"We will make the appropriate arrangements for Harry's treatment days," Albus said with a nod. "If there's nothing else, let's get you back to your family."

"Wait," Alton yelled out to stop the headmaster from grabbing him, "I am so sorry Severus. Please believe me, I tried every way I could think of to protect Harry."

"You should have come to me Alton!" He growled at the man in front of him, "I could have helped you before your family got involved. Don't you see that?"

"I did what I thought I had to do," the healer replied. "You wouldn't understand."

The professor bit his tongue to hold back the acerbic remark he wanted to make and a pained expression crossed his face.

"What were you doing there tonight?" Severus asked instead, still so furious he wanted to hit the man he had called his friend.

"I stopped by the hospital wing after my shift to ask Poppy how he did today... and when she said it was rough, I offered to get a higher dose of Morphine for him," the healer pleaded. "So I went back to hospital to put the order through and then floo'ed straight to your quarters to give it to him. It was nothing more Severus, I promise you."

For all the former spy knew, it could be a lie and in his current pessimistic mindset, he more than likely thought that was the case. He didn't know what to believe any longer.

Severus held a hand up when Albus reached for the second time to take the healer away because he needed to check one more thing. Leaning over towards the healer, he drew his wand and nonverbally cast to cut the left sleeve of his shirt. Using the tip of his wand, he opened the slit while holding his breath anticipating the sight of the same ugly black mark that Severus had concealed on his own arm. Alton's forearm was completely clean. Giving a slight nod, he cut the ropes from the chair and Albus took the man from the room to see his family - exactly what Severus wanted to do at that same moment.

~~~~HP~~~~

There was no way he was going to sleep until Snape came home; that much was obvious. Molly was instructed to stay with him until the professor returned and Malfoy was told to stay presumably so they could go over the events of the night.

Malfoy had filled him in on what had happened at Privet Drive. Apparently he had been correct and his vision was a plan for what Voldemort was going to be doing that very night. The Auror's had likely been called out early on because Malfoy said that they were waiting once the Death Eaters arrived. Harry shivered thinking about Malfoy having to do what he'd seen in his vision - collecting all the residents from their beds and killing them before setting all the houses on fire. Sometime since the Slytherin's arrival over the summer, Harry had begun to see him as a peer; just a boy caught in an impossible situation. That became more obvious tonight when the blonde sat in the armchair with a far away expression to his face; like he wasn't all there with them.

Then there was Healer Smithe who had apparently been working for Voldemort. That was a hard truth to swallow. This was a man Harry had liked and trusted... Trusted his life with. What if all those reports were wrong and his Leukemia was actually getting worse instead of better? Voldemort would love it if Harry would just die one night without any necessary involvement from his side. Of course, the megalomaniac was just as likely to die if there was a small chance he had the Leukemia as well.

"Harry dear," Molly said, reaching over and squeezing his forearm, "why don't you go and get some rest? Severus may be a while still."

Mrs. Weasley would know what happened!

"M'ok Mrs. Weasley," Harry replied solemnly, "do you know what happened tonight? Where Severus went?"

"It's not my place to say dear," she said, kindly handing Harry a cup of tea hoping it would help settle his nerves and his cramping stomach.

"Then who's place is it?!" Harry called out not meaning to be rude; he simply wanted answers. "McGonagall's because she's my guardian?!"

"Professor McGonagall's your guardian?" Malfoy asked, a little more interested than Harry expected him to be.

"Apparently I needed someone after my aunt and uncle were murdered," Harry said aggressively then bent over and held his head feeling more than just a little shameful.

"Of course," the Slytherin said, "it's just we all thought it was Professor Snape. You are living with him and he doesn't let anyone say a single thing about you."

Harry's face immediately flushed with embarrassment because deep down he wished that too. He wanted to belong here, this was his home, and it would make more sense for Snape to become his guardian.

"Want to play some chess?" Harry asked the other teen. "If nothing else, it will help pass the time. I'm pants at it though."

Malfoy gave a small, uncharacteristic chuckle and summoned Snape's chess board. As always, Harry chose white and the two former rivals started playing.

"No one really tells you anything about what's going on?"

Harry paused at the blunt question. Lifting his now dull emerald eyes to meet Malfoy's grey ones he simply nodded his head.

"Picked up that much already huh? So much good being The Chosen One does right?" Harry sarcastically replied. "No one ever tells me anything... Except Severus a couple of times. I don't know why he didn't say anything about my healer though."

"He probably didn't want to worry you," the blonde explained, making his well planned move, "I'm sure you know how much he tries to save everyone around him. Hell, the night I got sorted into Slytherin he brought me aside and told me if I ever wanted out of that circle I could come to him. I thought he was crazy at the time.

"I was originally trying to do just that this summer though, except I ended up in front of Professor Dumbledore instead. Apparently Severus had been with you all summer and was 'otherwise preoccupied' according to Dumbledore."

Harry thought back to right before Malfoy showed up. Ironically, it had been around the time of the Privet Drive attack. Yeah, they'd been more than a little preoccupied then between the attack, Harry's 22 hour chemo, and not to mention the whole different reality situation - which he couldn't tell Malfoy about.

"When did you decide?" Harry asked quietly, "to switch sides."

Snape had previously explained to the Gryffindor that asking that same question was an exceedingly personal question and if he wanted to ask it, he should be prepared to give something in return. Not only had that been before Malfoy knew all about his Leukemia and chemotherapy, but somehow telling Malfoy something as personal didn't seem like such a bad thing anymore.

"I mean it wasn't like there was a sudden epiphany or anything. The idea started shortly after my father was sent to Azkaban. The pieces started to fall into place and then I remembered Severus telling me he'd help me out - quite literally. I'm lucky he ended up being a spy or he could have sent me back as a traitor," Malfoy said, trying to make a joke of it. Harry could feel the uneasiness emanating from the blonde. "And I already told you why... my father happens to still be wasting away in Azkaban when I know good and well the Dark Lord could easily get him out. He's there as punishment; not for doing anything against the ministry, but against him. Is that the kind of person you'd want to follow? One that will turn their back on you in an instant?"

"Me?" Harry asked rhetorically, "of course not, but he murdered my parents. It's kind of hard to respect someone after they make you an orphan."

Malfoy gave a chuckle, "He might as well have killed mine too. They didn't know, but I could hear them fighting all the time about it growing up; about what we'd do if he came back. Mother wanted us to move as far away as possible, but my father refused...he would say the Dark Lord could find us anywhere and we were safer staying where our power could protect us. And that was it right... I used to idolize my father, I thought he had it all figured out - he had the wealth and respect anyone could want... except my mother didn't want any of that. I think in the end she just wanted me safe, but he wouldn't let her do what she thought was necessary."

That last sentence hit Harry so hard he almost physically recoiled. He was brought back to the memory he had whenever the dementors got near him - his dad telling his mum to take him and run, his mum refusing to step aside when Voldemort gave her a chance to save herself, and then her dying for him. That was exactly what his mum wanted too; it's what she died for, to protect him. He'd only met Narcissa once and all he knew about her was that she was somehow related to Sirius - maybe his cousin - but his first impression of her was that she was cold. How could he now compare that woman to his own mum? Perhaps Narcissa wasn't like that in the privacy of their own home? And what he'd seen was all an act?

That would be a sad way to live.

The Gryffindor doubted that Malfoy would be talking as freely as he was if it weren't for what he'd just experienced at Privet Drive. He knew he should feel guilty, however he also knew how freeing it was to finally get these kinds of things off your chest, and maybe the other teen would feel that way too. Either that, or he'd hex Harry into next week the second he realized the things he had said.

"All of my life I wanted this mark... to be just like my father, but you know what it means? It's just a mark of his ownership over us and for the rest of my life I'll be judged for it. No one will care why I did... the Order knows why I'm doing it and they don't care one bit," the Slytherin paused with a disgusted look on his face, then asked, "Did you know they have to grovel to him?"

"Yeah," Harry responded unsure if the other boy was expecting an answer. Of course he knew, he'd seen Malfoy's dad do that very thing at the graveyard only two years ago, "I did know that actually."

The blonde continued, apparently oblivious to Harry's answer, his mind far away from the chess game they were supposed to be playing, "He makes his followers kneel down and kiss his robes; like common servants. There's no power or honor from joining him...You get to live; that's what he gives you in return for your service... And if you change your mind? You're dead. Honestly, Severus's days are numbered unless the bastard can get killed off quickly. He won't let Severus go after his betrayal, he'll hunt him down until the very end."

Harry's breath hitched. It was both terrifying and calming to know that he and Snape shared that in common; they both were on the Dark Lord's top list to kill instantly. Suddenly, Harry was ready to fight; he wanted to end this so he and Snape could go on with their life.

"I guess I'll just have to get to him first," The Gryffindor confidently responded.

"And you think it's just going to be that easy?"

"No, but I've held my own against him plenty of other times," Harry wasn't sure why he was saying this because in reality he had no idea how he could actually defeat a wizard like Voldemort - and that was before he had to worry about losing his magic.

"You better," Malfoy had come out of whatever trance he'd been caught in and was back to his more arrogant self, "I had to make a decision and I chose you, or rather I chose Dumbledore... who chose you."

"No one chose me," Harry said offended, but too tired to actually be upset over it.

"Who's called The Chosen One?" The Slytherin replied with a smirk on his face and he immediately added, "Hey, you called yourself it first. I know you hate that name."

A companionable silence fell between the two teenagers as they continued on with their chess game. Harry wasn't sure what to do with the information he'd just learned from Malfoy. It wasn't so much in what the other boy said, it was more what he didn't say.

"Did you kill anyone tonight?" Harry knew he shouldn't have asked the moment the question left his lips and the scowl from Malfoy confirmed it.

There was another long pause and then the Slytherin averted his eyes and answered, "I don't know."

Now it was Harry's turn to feel like a total arsehole. Why would he ask something like that? He would be pissed if Malfoy had asked him that question after a night like this one!

"I'll probably get to go back to classes on the 28th," Harry said randomly, trying to change the awkward subject he'd brought on himself, "I don't know if you'll be off the hook for tutoring after then."

"Eh, the tutoring doesn't bother me," Malfoy responded. "What are you going to do in class if you can't use magic?"

It was a question that dampened all his excitement about going back to classes. He had no idea what he would do during practical lessons or how he could possibly be graded without any practical exams.

"I don't exactly know yet," he started and just as his anxiety was on the rise, the floo roared and Snape walked out alone.

Overall he appeared in better health, except for his left arm being held in a sling. The Gryffindor knew magic could only heal so far and sometimes the body needed it's own time to finish the healing process. Snape's obsidian eyes met Harry's emerald ones and relief filled both sets that the other was alright.

"Thank you Molly," the professor said, approaching the group. "I appreciate the help."

"Anytime Severus," she smiled at them, "is there anything else you need?"

"No, however I believe Albus wanted to see you before you go home."

"Of course. I'll try to come by and see you tomorrow Harry," she gave him a small, yet solid hug before exiting through the floo.

Snape sat down in his customary armchair and Harry was able to fully focus on his mentor. He looked both exhausted and defeated; the man who was the most put together man Harry had ever known and he was completely unravelling.

"Are you alright sir?" Harry asked quietly, taking a peek over to Malfoy who appeared just as concerned over their professor.

"No Harry I'm not," Snape admitted. "I apologize for causing you to worry tonight and for not giving more information before I left earlier this evening."

"S'ok," the Gryffindor mumbled.

"Let us go to your room and we'll discuss what happened," the professor explained. "Draco, please stay here and I'll be back to debrief you about Privet Drive."

Harry gave another kind stare at Malfoy before getting up and carefully walking to his bedroom. His morphine was almost done and with Madam Pomfrey helping out at headquarters, he wasn't sure if anyone would be by to replace it. When he reached his bedroom and was settled onto the bed, Snape came in, slowly closing the door behind him. Harry was surprised when the professor sat down on the end of his bed instead of the chair at his desk as he usually did.

"What happened tonight?" The young wizard nervously asked. His heart rate had instantly increased and he was sure bile was trying to creep up the back of his throat.

"It was several things that happened all at once actually," Snape said, pinching his nose. "Your vision ended up being a plan of action for tonight and before you get yourself worked up, the Order and Aurors were able to prevent any fatalities. There were several homes damaged and many muggles that needed their memories modified, however no major injuries or fatalities on our end."

Harry nodded his understanding. This solidified his need to finish his Occlumency training. He could admit that while it ended up helping them this time, there was no way he could mentally make it through another vision like this one. This time he needed to let the adults handle it; an observation he was proud of himself for.

Snape gave Harry a long stare as if judging how much information the Gryffindor could handle at once. He must have passed whatever test because the professor continued, "We also discovered while you were sick with the pneumonia, that Alton had been compromised by the Dark Lord."

There it was; now he could no longer try to deny what had been staring directly at him.

"How? What was he doing? Why didn't you tell me before now?" Harry's brain was running through a million scenarios all at once and none of them ended well. "Has he done any damage?"

Snape lifted his hand to stop Harry's rapid questions, "We were able to ascertain that unfortunately it started early on in your treatments, while we were back at Privet Drive. It appears that he was primarily providing information to the Dark Lord about your illness, not actively trying to harm you, however we don't know every conversation that was had between them. Most importantly there is zero evidence of any damage done to you or your progress.

"And I am very sorry for not telling you this sooner. Alton was ultimately the best option for your treatment and I didn't want to burden you with something else to worry about. We've made sure you were safe by not leaving Alton alone with you, however not telling you previously left you vulnerable tonight."

"Why?" Harry asked as the feeling of the betrayal filled him up inside. He was shaking from a combination of anger and fear; would he be able to trust someone with his care so blindly again? "Why would he do it?"

There was a pregnant pause between the two of them, "I don't think you knew this, but Alton has a wife and a daughter..."

He trailed off when he saw the pleading expression on Harry's face after realization hit the young wizard - pleading for him to be wrong, pleading for all of this to stop, pleading for the two innocent people to be safe.

"They are safe now Harry," Snape continued placing his right hand on Harry's covered leg, "the other part of tonight was a rescue mission to get them back.

"It wasn't supposed to be tonight, until most of the Death Eaters left their headquarters and the opportunity was too open not to take. We got in fine and everything was going smoothly until we were ambushed when we tried to exit. Some believe the shortened raid at Privet Drive - due to the Aurors - caused the Dark Lord and Death Eaters to return prematurely."

Harry furrowed his brows and cleared his throat, "But you don't believe that do you?"

"No," the professor said honestly, "The more I have had time to think about it, the more I believe the manor was cleared intentionally to draw us in."

"Which means they expected you to rescue Healer Smithe's family," Harry thought out loud, then continuing on that train of thought added, "and that means we should still be wary of him?"

Snape nodded his agreement.

"So what do we do now about my treatments?" He didn't want the cancer to come back no matter how awful the day had been on his body.

"A colleague Alton has been working with will be coming in to take his place," Snape explained, "He will still be involved as a sort of 'magical consultant' however this muggle physician will technically be the lead. Poppy has everything you need for tomorrow, Monday, and Tuesday's chemotherapy, so I'll make arrangements with the new doctor to be here next Friday."

Harry groaned. He hated to say it - even if it were only to himself - but he really didn't want a muggle physician. Until his magic was completely gone, he was still a wizard. Not to mention, how would they explain his pain from his magical core depletion?

Snape reached out and touched Harry's arm causing the young wizard to jump in surprise.

"I think I lost you for a moment," he said softly, or as softly as Snape could.

"Sorry sir. Just thinking about how different a muggle physician will be during all of this," Harry was twisting his hands together nervously.

"Get some sleep Harry," Snape said, lifting Harry's chin so they were facing each other, "We'll solve it one problem at a time. Remember you are not alone in all of this; I will handle the logistics and I will not let anything happen to you. I promise."

Harry believed him and felt himself start to calm down based on that statement alone. He had someone he could count on, someone in his corner, someone who would help him keep going when he felt like giving up himself; because honestly, if Voldemort could get to his last healer, what chance did this muggle physician have?

~~~~SS~~~~

Listening to Draco's recounting of the raid opened up wounds deep within the former spy that he had hoped to never experience again. The battle at Privet Drive was just as ferociously fought as the one at Malfoy Manor had been. As expected, Draco did not come out of it clean in either the physical or emotional sense. Severus tended to his surface wounds - a cut or burn here or there, nothing serious - but it would take more than a pain relieving potion, Dittany, and burn salve to begin to heal the fear that was deep within the blonde.

At first sight, Severus had assumed the teen had made his first kill, except he remembered Albus had told him there were no fatalities on their side; a fact he made sure to emphasize to the new Death Eater as he hadn't even known if he'd killed someone or not. No, the fear he saw in Draco was from the recognition of what he'd been asked to do and what he would inevitably be asked to do again; with the real possibility that the Order might not be there to interfere next time. Doing all he could to try and help Draco, he sent his Slytherin off back to the dormitories with a small dose of Dreamless Sleep and made a mental note for himself to keep an eye on him in the upcoming weeks.

Crossing the sitting room with a glass of firewhiskey to help calm his firing nerves, Albus's face appeared in his floo.

"Can I come through?" His mentor asked. The clock on the mantle showed one o'clock, meaning Severus was close to approaching twenty-four hours without sleep, after an absolutely draining day.

"Of course," he said, regretting his decision as tomorrow wouldn't likely be much easier than today.

Drinking back the remainder of his firewhiskey, he vanished the glass to the kitchen sink right as Albus was walking through. For once, the headmaster appeared just as exhausted as Severus felt; a feat that didn't happen often.

"What happened tonight Severus?" He asked, taking a seat across from his defense professor. "I've debriefed Kingsley and Alastor already, but would like your account my boy."

It was said in a manner that Severus would not refuse. His first and second priorities had been taken care of, and now we're off sleeping with hopes that tomorrow would bring some much needed relief for them both; in their own unique ways. This time was for himself.

"According to Alastor," the headmaster continued, "Remus would likely not have made it back if it weren't for you."

The former Death Eater scowled, "Moody needs to keep his mouth shut about things that don't pertain to him."

Albus's eyes twinkled furiously, "As the commander of the team, it was his position to know what had happened to everyone."

"It was nothing," Severus waved off the gratitude.

In reality, Severus had been terrified at that moment. They made it into the manor with very few obstacles, as expected, and was even able to navigate down to the cellars where Sarah and Mary were being held. He pushed the images of the filthy cell where the two hostages were coward in the corner out of his mind before they managed to take over.

As first in charge, Moody took the lead in heading out of the cellars with Bill Weasley - carrying Mary - following second, Lupin assisting Sarah was next, and Severus was bringing up the rear. Their downfall that night had been in the assumption that their strongest wands would be needed in the cellars to take down the guards, and Severus should have spoken up when only two measly Death Eaters - neither of whom he knew - were down there protecting the only assets in the house at the time that needed protecting. It struck him as odd, yet he continued on anyways.

They first got a hint to something being off when Fred or George - it was impossible to tell them apart sitting in a classroom and even less so in battle - came crashing down the stairs towards them. Moody managed to catch the boy and then stormed out into the battle hoping to clear a path for them alongside Arthur, Minerva, Fred, George, Hestia, and Fleur.

Lupin would later tell him that Severus took down at least five Death Eaters that night, however he couldn't tell Albus where they had been. Acting purely on instinct, once they made it to the main level of the Manor - and he could see the severity of the situation with them being outnumbered at least four to one - he pushed Bill, Sarah, and Mary to floor and they crawled under the curses blasting around them. Bill and Severus both cast shielding charms around themselves, Sarah, and Mary to protect them during the treacherous path to their freedom outside and to the point where they could safely disapparate.

Once outside the manor, a feat that he hoped Mary would never remember, Bill disapparated them back to the pre-planned safe house leaving Severus behind. More than anything, the former spy wanted to go with them; to get back to Harry relatively uninjured. Unfortunately, or fortunately for the werewolf, he chose that same moment to turn around and caught sight of Lupin focused so intently on the duel he was in with Yaxley and Crabbe that he was oblivious to Bellatrix's wand pointed straight at his back. It was pure instinct to stand between them and try to block it, but unfortunately his shield charm was a second too late and the curse caused severe burns to the entire left side of his body. Then of course the blasted witch had to follow it up with the Sectumsempra that also hit his left abdomen and arm before he was able to get them out of there.

"Where did you go first? Before coming back here?" Albus asked after taking in everything Severus had just gone through from the attack. "You were supposed to come back to Headquarters. I won't lie that when the others arrived without you and Remus, we all questioned if you'd make it back at all."

"Unfortunately, we thought Yaxley had come along for the ride," Severus explained pinching the bridge of his nose in exhaustion, "so we went just outside the Little Hadham safe house and walked the rest of the way. We must have lost him mid-apparation because he didn't appear when we landed, but we still felt it best to floo here first; he wouldn't gain anything from knowing I went back to Hogwarts."

Severus wanted to go to bed. There were very few times in his life, specifically his adult life, when he felt as if he couldn't function any longer. This was one of those few moments.

"Do you think it was coincidental?"

No further explanation was needed to know Albus thought the same thing about the attack as he did. There were too many subtle signs that pointed to it being a set-up.

"Hardly," the younger professor agreed.

"Do you suspect Alton knew he'd been discovered?" It was the most logical answer then any other way the Dark Lord could have found out that they'd react as they did to the manor emptying.

"I don't know," he said gravely and Severus hated not knowing what was going on. His life often depended on knowing the in's and out's of everything around him. It just went to show how distracted he'd been as of late with Harry. "It's possible, or the Dark Lord could have found something during Legilimency. Alton had zero mind defenses, making it impossible to hide a single thing from even the worst Legilimens, and the Dark Lord is one of the best."

"We must stay diligent my boy. I shall maintain a close watch over the family until I deem it safe - for us, more than the Smithe's - to allow them to return home," Albus explained standing to leave. The clock over the mantle read quarter past three in the morning. "Get some rest Severus, you deserve it."

The End.
End Notes:
Coming up Next: The Old Snape

The next update will probably be Wednesday or Thursday.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3585