The Choices We Made by JewelBurns
Summary: *COMPLETE* What if you could change your biggest regret? After a devastating event occurs, Snape from an alternate reality is given that chance, but ends up in the canon universe. Will he be able to gain back what he's lost while helping to save the wizarding world at the same time? AU post-OOTP, adopt/mentor, Sick!Harry,
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Secretive
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry, Kidnapped!Harry, Kidnapped!Snape, Physical Impairment, Snape-meets-Dursleys, Time Travel
Takes Place: 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: Choices We Made Universe
Chapters: 75 Completed: Yes Word count: 558263 Read: 121632 Published: 06 Jun 2020 Updated: 22 Oct 2020
Chapter 75: Epilogue by JewelBurns
Author's Notes:
Heads up that today was a double update and this is the epilogue. Accidentally reading this if you haven't read the previous chapter (74: 21st of May) will give away major spoilers for the fic. I recommend going back a chapter and making sure you've read it before continuing.

There's an author's note at the end of the chapter citing my main source if anyone is interested, a little summary of the next work I've started, and an idea of what's to come with the Choices universe.

I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to read this and anyone who's left reviews along the way! It's been awesome to hear your feedback on what I've put Harry and Snape (with Draco along for the ride) through and even if it didn't always make sense, I hope I did the story justice.

A very special thank you goes out to my sister (and halfway through beta) french_charlotte for all the "when's the next chapter ready" and for going back and forth with all the plot planning for what sometimes felt like days; those not only really helped push me through some awful writer's block to finish this, but really made sure it was well thought out and handled right. I'm sure I'll come up with new ways to challenge you as I start my next adventure ;-)

~~~~SS~~~~

Saturday, 25th December 1999

Severus loudly cleared his throat to grab the attention from the group of young adults sitting around the fireplace of the small sitting room in his and Harry's home on Spinner's End - where they had spent most of their first summer together making the necessary repairs on the dilapidated home - knowing Harry would instinctively excuse himself to meet Severus in the kitchen. At first, the former professor wanted to leave this milestone night for only the two of them; excited that it marked the end of this long journey, yet knowing Harry might not feel much like celebrating it. At Harry's final appointment before his final IV chemotherapy treatment earlier this month, Dr Swanson spoke separately with Severus to explain that while caretakers of cancer patients may feel like celebrating the momentous occasion, for the patient it could be a very scary time; almost as scary as the unknown on the day of their diagnosis. As the days passed and the tablets inside Harry's last prescription bottle dwindled down, he could feel the unease radiating from the young wizard about his life when treatments finally ended.

Harry's Maintenance Phase wasn't without its own set of issues, as with every other phase he battled. The first year was spent getting Harry's bouts of accidental magic under control. Each time it happened - most of which was in a destructive form after his IV/IT treatments - it caused more anxiety in Harry about how much magic he'd have left at the end of all this. Originally, Severus had no intentions of going back to teach at Hogwarts, but found himself back in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom that September as a way for Harry to easily work with Albus on the magical exercises to limit his accidental magic. It was also the last year that Harry's friends would be at the school, and while Severus would never admit to keeping the Golden Trio intact one final year, it had some impact on his decision. In the end, it helped keep Harry's spirits lifted - especially when he completely lost his hair again less than a year after it had regrown back - and the training put an end to the accidental magic he'd been doing.

That had been Severus's last year teaching and he had no desire to ever go back. While packing up their quarters in June of 1998 had been more emotional than he'd expected it to be, the former professor had been anxious to start his new position working for the Malfoy Apothecary on their latest development to treat cancer in witches and wizards. So far, his team was making progress - working from where Matthew had left off in the new formulation - yet there was still so much to explore. Pulling from what he'd learned during Harry's chemotherapy, they were trying to attack the cells from different angles in hopes of finding something with better success than even the muggle medications.

The next year, Severus and Harry battled a couple of bad illnesses, one of which left the young wizard hospitalized in the muggle hospital in Surrey for ten days. Dr Swanson had said that while Harry's blood counts wouldn't necessarily be low enough to warrant quarantining, he was still considered immunocompromised and more susceptible to illnesses. Luckily, it didn't push back his chemotherapy schedule - not that Severus cared if it had, but Harry was very cognizant of how long he had left - and he eventually made a full recovery. Ironically, Draco had been working with Dr Swanson at the time, in preparation for his family's newest wing at St Mungo's: The Malfoy Center for Muggle Diseases in the Wizarding World, which helped Severus stay somewhat sane during those late nights by Harry's bedside.

This last year was the best, by far, and outside of daily chemotherapy tablets and monthly outpatient treatments - along with a day to recover from the side effects - Harry had hardly seemed sick. His hair had fully regrown around March of this year and while it was not the same texture as before, it was still as black and messy as they both remembered. In May, he'd undergone another surgery when he made the decision to have his port removed before his chemotherapy was completed. This meant that at each monthly treatment the young wizard had an IV in his hand for the medication, but it gave him the ability to walk away without any other 'to dos' after that last IV treatment. As the year went on, Harry had more energy than he previously had and his weight was finally catching up to where it should be for a healthy nineteen year old boy.

With the return of his physical health, it made sense that Harry's friends had wanted to have a small get together tonight to celebrate his completion of chemotherapy, without realizing how Harry was mentally feeling about the milestone. At first, the friends had wanted it to be a surprise party for him, and Severus had only managed to hear about it ahead of time at work; through Lucius to be exact. He later was able to convince Draco to change the plans to have only a small gathering at his home and phrase it as a Christmas party. The friends, Ron - who was no longer dating Lavender much to everyone's relief - Hermione and Draco, and Dudley and Susan Bones, hadn't spent nearly as much time together as they'd hoped after Hogwarts and this was the perfect time to catch up.

"Last one," Severus said, dropping the single tablet into Harry's hand and vanishing the empty bottle to the rubbish bin.

Harry stared at the tablet in his hand as if this last one may be the one that would poison him. Starting tomorrow, he would no longer take any chemotherapy medications, and his eyes shifted over the tablet as he stood in front of Severus thinking about what that meant.

"What if it's not gone?" He lifted his eyes to meet Severus's when he asked the question that would continue to plague them both. They had to place their trust in the fact that his blood tests continued to look good, but technically tomorrow would not be any different than today and yet they had to believe it was; that the cancer wouldn't return after this last tablet.

"Dr Swanson said your results are extremely promising for long-term remission," Severus reminded him, "plus you'll have follow ups to check that it isn't coming back. But if it does, Harry, we'll know as early as possible and we will handle it, just as we always have."

Harry nodded and whispered, "Last one," before taking his last chemotherapy tablet.

Now that it was all said and done and Harry treatment was finally over, the young wizard had gone through over 70 IV treatments and a countless number - thousands - of tablet medications, and he would have to trust that it was enough to rid the Leukemia from his blood forever. Without thinking twice about it, Severus pulled Harry into a hug hoping he could ease any of the young wizards fears he had about his future. Someday, he wouldn't have it hanging over his head any longer. Someday, this would be a time they both looked back on and hopefully they would be able to find the things to be grateful for in the last three and half years; how this disease literally tore them apart in one reality and brought them together in this one.

"When can I test out my magic?" Harry asked in a small voice.

"After the New Year," Severus confidently replied having already talked to Alton about the right time to restart Harry's magical education. "It will give some time for the medications to clear from your body."

Harry nodded his head. "I should get back," he said and then paused with a frown, "you can join us, y'know. You don't have to stay banished to the kitchen."

"Thank you," the former professor replied, giving Harry a warm smile. "But go and enjoy the time with your friends and cousin. I have some things to work out before we start your lessons next month."

"Thank you, Severus," Harry told him, "for everything you've done for me."

With another quick hug, Harry left the kitchen, not as excited as his friends would expect, but with more determination than Severus could hope for. Severus sat down at the small kitchen table - trying not to listen in on the conversation in the other room, through the rounds of laughter - feeling like he was the luckiest man in the world and knowing this was exactly where he was supposed to end up all along; proving that all the choices they'd made had been the right ones after all.

The End

The End.
End Notes:
Thank you everyone again! Never did I expect it to gain as much of a following as it did, and it really helped keep me motivated to finish this. I've read too many abandoned stories and didn't want this to fall into that sad category, so thank you for keeping me going!

I used a lot of sources for this fic, but want to call out the main one for the chemotherapy regimen. It really had the best information in the easiest possible format for me to not only understand, but also retell within the story. Keep in mind that there are so many different regimens out there and this is only one of them. I chose it because it is used in adolescent and young adults and therefore would likely be what Harry would have experienced:

Chemo Experts: chemoexperts dot com / c10403 - consolidation . html

Finally, as a reader myself, my question at the end of a long fic like this is always "so, what's next"? I've left the universe mostly open and I do intend to add to it by either filling in the three Maintenance years or continue on after it (as either one-shots or a full length fic), but right now I'm going to let it sit for a little bit so I make sure the sequel is as well put together as this one was. If anyone has any suggestions of what you'd like to see next (time frame wise) definitely leave a comment about it.

In the meantime, I had a lot of fun writing the AU universe and decided to take a try at a completely AU story. It's still an adoption/mentoring fic between Harry and Snape (as Harry's stepfather), but set in a world where Harry is not the Boy-Who-Lived and Voldemort won the first war.If this sounds like your type of story please check out Finding Common Ground

Lastly (if anyone made it this far), I had a question from a guest reviewer ask what happened to Snape's old reality. Albus told him when he explained the Potion that this was permanent and while Snape questioned early on what happened to his old world, it was assumed that it ceased existing when he swapped over. I'm working on putting together a companion piece of all the AU memories in chronological order and working on a couple plots to build on that AU universe. It's kind of an AU to my AU, but it's still really early in the planning.

In the meantime, I hope to see some familiar names (I've already recognized a few!) on my new fic or when I finally get some good traction to continue The Choices We Made universe!

~~~~JewelBurns :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3585