Searching for Wellness by DesertPlanet
Summary: No one on Privet Drive was surprised when the priest came to deliver last rights to the boy, but who was the strange man with the long white beard accompanying him? “Cancer” was what Agnes from Number 2 thought it was. “An eating disorder” was what Mary of Number 3 believed it to be. Whatever the case may be, Harry Potter had been taken to the hospital many times and was seen to only be getting worse.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Lucius, Pomfrey
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Out of Character Snape
Genres: Hurt/Comfort, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Creature!fic, Disguised!Harry, New Identity!Harry, Physical Impairment, Slytherin!Harry, Vampire!Harry, Vampires
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: Aspects of Wellness
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 63888 Read: 63723 Published: 19 Jun 2020 Updated: 14 Jul 2020
Retrieval by DesertPlanet
Author's Notes:
Height and weight stuff:
3 stone= 42lbs= 19 kg
Average height for an 11 y.o. male: 56.4 inches= 143cm
Average height for a 7 y.o. male: 47.7 inches= 121cm
Average weight for an 11 y.o. male: 78.5lbs= 35.6kg
Average weight for a 7 y.o. male: 50.5lbs= 22.9kg

So, what I'm trying to say is Harry is MASSIVELY underweight and well below the normal height for someone his age.
Severus Snape was in a rather jovial mood. He had finally done it. He had finally found a short-cut to the brewing of Wolfsbane which would shorten the brewing time by two weeks, use half the ingredients, and make the potion significantly more affordable for the damn wolves that haunted his nightmares.

It had only taken four years of research, hundreds of hours of experimentation, and the vast majority of his savings account to do it. Sadly, his salary as a professor was continuously stretched thin as Hogwarts did not provide funding for research and as a former Death Eater he was unable to receive funding for any and all experimentation.

But those were all problems of the past. He could now focus on relaxing, teaching the dunderheads of Hogwarts their last lessons of term, assigning summer homework that would be impossible to complete, and enjoying his summer. In all likelihood, he would come across another potion which would need its brewing process streamlined and his work would begin again. For now, however, he would enjoy the feelings of freedom.

Removing his heavy, black, brewing robes and switching to a far more comfortable and casual robe (still black), he sat heavily in his navy armchair with a glass of dry red wine and his latest book purchase from the apothecary in Hogsmeade.

Celebrations were in order.

He was only halfway through his glass of wine and a chapter into his book, however, when the fire roared as a visitor flooed in.

Severus sighed, his mood immediately ruined. There was only one person who could floo into his quarters, and his arrival was bound to bring more trouble than it was worth.

“Ah, Severus my boy! Just the wizard I was wanting to see!” Albus Dumbledore said, casually transforming a feather into an additional (pastel pink) armchair and sitting himself on the other side of the briarwood coffee table.

“You are in my quarters, who else would you expect to see,” Severus growled, rubbing the bridge of his nose.

“Yes, yes,” Dumbledore said. “Now my boy, I have a request from you.”

“No,” Severus immediately said. “I am not your errand boy.”

“I need you to come along with me as I go retrieve a … future student… from their house. There apparently have been some… problems… with this student.”

“I am also not a baby-sitter, security officer, or whatever other nonsense you want me to be.”

“Severus,” Albus looked over his half-moon spectacles, eyes devoid of their normal mischievous twinkle. “It’s Lily’s son.”

Severus immediately froze. That was a low blow. The boy was not just Lily’s child, but also the spawn of the damned James Potter.

“Why would the son of James Potter need to be retrieved from his doting relatives,” Severus sneered slamming his book shut.

“Severus, please,” Albus stated, voice devoid of all its normal playfulness. This got Severus’s attention. “His aunt sent a letter. The boy is ill and she is afraid he may pass away.”

“He is faking it,” Severus attempted to dismiss these statements.

“Per her letter he has been in and out of the muggle hospital for several years, yet there is no diagnosis.”

Severus’s blood ran cold. A wizard having to go to a muggle hospital? No diagnosis? What in Merlin’s name was wrong with the child?

“Fine, but you owe me another bottle of wine,” Severus sighed, pulling his boots back on and grabbing his cloak.

Albus rose from his chair and with a flick of his wand transformed it back to the feather it had come from.

“What information did Petunia give you in the letter?” Severus asked as they left his quarters.

“Something about his blood, I wasn’t sure I understood. Also severe malnutrition despite having a feeding tube placed. Again, I am not too sure I understand, but he has been getting progressively weaker over the last two years with no true diagnosis. And his accidental magic has been causing rifts in the family to the point of endangering their safety.”

“And have you notified Poppy?” Severus asked as they quickly walked past the Slytherin common room.

“Naturally.”

Severus knew he must have looked utterly terrifying as he and the headmaster sped through the dungeon and out of the large front doors of Hogwarts. Students were parting like water on the Red Sea and were staring at them as they passed, whispers of confusion and worry followed them until they left the grounds.

Albus grabbed Severus’s arm and side-long apparated to the alley behind Privet Drive.

As soon as they landed, both men started walking around the corner to Number 4. As they passed Number 2, a set of beady eyes peered out from behind the curtains and watched as they approached Number 4.

‘Oh dear, the poor lad!’ Agnes thought to herself, tearing up slightly. ‘That priest must be coming to give him his last rites. Though I wonder who the other man is?’

Once they reached Number 4, Albus knocked politely. Almost immediately, the door was flung open and Petunia was beckoning them inside.

“You want the neighbors to see you?” she admonished them quietly.

“Hello to you too Petunia,” Severus sneered. He could’ve swore she muttered ‘freak’ under her breath as they entered the house.

“He’s in here,” Petunia said, leading them to the living room.

Upon seeing him, both Severus and Dumbledore let out an involuntary gasp.

Lying on the sofa was likely the most emaciated child they had ever seen covered in a thick blanket. He appeared no more than seven years old despite being nearly four years older than this. Nearly every bone was visible with the skin stretched taut over them. His hair, while it certainly would have been wild like his fathers, was shoulder length but tucked into a blue knitted cap that was pulled over his ears. Sitting on a table next to the child was a small machine which occasionally would make a small whirring noise and had a tube running from a bag of light brown fluid into the machine. There was a matching tube which ran from the machine under the blanket.

Severus quickly cast a diagnostic spell on the boy. It took all of his willpower and spy training to not gasp in shock at what he saw.

“Petunia, how long has this been going on?” he asked in a low voice.

“Long enough, get him out of here,” she responded curtly. “We can’t take care of him any longer.”

Tears could be seen in Albus’s eyes as he too cast a diagnostic spell on the sleeping child.

As calmly as he could, Severus reached down and picked the boy up, shocked at how light he was. Even with the blanket he couldn’t have weighed more than 3 stone. The boy’s skin was as cold as ice and small tremors wracked its frame.

As Severus picked Harry up, Petunia poked a few buttons on the machine and momentarily uncovered Harry’s stomach to undo the tube from the machine from the tube coming out of Harry’s stomach. She quickly clamped the tube and capped the tubing from the machine. She then put the machine and its tubing into a pre-prepared bag then handed it to Dumbledore.

“These are his belongings,” she said briskly. “Get him out of here.”

“Thank you for caring for him all these years, Petunia,” Albus said.

Petunia just sneered at the two men.

“Albus, I’m afraid he may not be stable enough to apparate,” Severus said, gingerly holding the small child against his chest. The boy was so weak he could hardly hold up his head.

“We will go to Arabella’s. Quickly!” Albus said, exiting the house and walking at a pace that belied his age.

Severus followed suit, noting the child in his arms moaned slightly as they exited the house and entered the sunlight street.

Mercifully, it was a very short walk to the cat-loving squib’s house. Even more fortunately, she saw the child in Severus’s arms and let them use her floo with no offers of tea or photo albums of cats.

“Floo directly to the hospital wing, I’ve set up an emergency ward,” Albus said, wiping his eyes. “I did not know he was this bad.”

Severus nodded in agreement and tightened his grip on the small boy in his arms.

“Hogwarts Hospital Wing,” Severus called out as he threw his pinch of floo powder in the flames. As he and Harry spun, he felt himself instinctively hold tighter to the bundle of blankets and child in his arms.

Quite quickly, Severus found himself being spat out of the floo network into the empty Hospital Wing of Hogwarts.

“Poppy!” he called as he felt the blanket shift. Gingerly he sat the bundle of blankets and child on the bed. “Where are you, woman!”
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3592