Memories by ChemPrincess
Summary: Severus knew that Potter, the golden boy had a knack for causing trouble, but he never expected to get stuck inside a snow globe because of the notorious troublemaker.
Categories: Teacher Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Eileen Prince, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 14245 Read: 36684 Published: 01 Jul 2020 Updated: 29 Jan 2021
Chapter 11 by ChemPrincess
“I feel different.” Potter said.

Severus glanced at him sharply. “ Are you still having trouble breathing?”

“What? No, it's not because of the uh” Potter stopped, his cheeks turning a light shade of pink. “It’s not because of the panic attack.” He waved his hands around awkwardly then cleared his throat. “ I feel lighter, you know like…. Lighter.” Potter finished dropping his hands down.

Severus rolled his eyes. “Let me know when you have regained your ability to string a few words together. In the meanwhile try not to use anymore magic.”

“That was an accident, I didn’t mean to use magic.” Potter defended himself.

“Yes, well try not to have anymore accidents. Just a spark of energy can destroy the globe, we don’t know what that could mean for us. So control your emotions no matter what you see and just concentrate on changing the memory.” Severus replied, ignoring the boy's indignant protest.

“Yes sir.” Came Potter’s reply, Severus only had to glare at him for two seconds.

“All right, Snivellus?

Severus took a sharp breath. This memory couldn’t have come at a more worst time. Potter was definitely going to destroy the globe this time. He turned towards Potter.

“Expelliarmus!” James shouted behind him.

“Potter, listen to me, I need you to control your emotions no matter what you see. Do not give into your emotions and do not do magic.” Severus ordered, not looking at the pink soap bubbles streaming out of his younger self’s mouth.

Potter looked at him with a bewildered expression. His eyes flicking rapidly between the Severus’s memory and Severus. “Dad! What..? What? No he was not a bully! You must have attacked him first. Sirius would never encourage someone to….humiliate an innocent person and Remus he wouldn’t just stand there, they would never.”

Severus felt his anger rise as Potter insinuated that Severus was somehow to be blamed for James Potter and his mutts attacking him and humiliating him, while his fifteen year old self was hanging upside down in the air with his underpants on display.

“No Potter, your father and your godfather were bullies. Your father was the worst of them, he was arrogant, selfish, lazy. He was a spoiled brat, who only thought about his own comfort and nobody else.” Severus said sharply.

He watched as Potter's face crumpled. But Severus was surprised when Potter managed to regain control over his emotions. Though he could here the mixture of betrayal, anger and hurt in his voice when he spoke next. “Is that what you meant? You think I am a bully….like my….father?”

“No.” Severus said with conviction. He used to think that Potter was just like his father but he wasn't. He knew that now. He had seen the memory of Potter himself being bullied by his own cousin. He had ran across the room at a man who was twice his size to protect an unknown little boy from his father when they had seen the first memory. He had literally yelled at Severus when he hadn't even tried to protect the little boy from Tobias Snape. Severus had seen him run head first towards danger countless times to protect people. He hated the way the boy so recklessly endangered his own life, broke every rule, he even hated the way Lily’s eyes would look at Severus through James Potter’s face. But Severus could acknowledge that Potter would never harm another person on purpose.

“No Potter, I don't think you are a bully.” Severus said finally.

Potter looked at him with surprise. But to Severus’s relief gave him a quick nod. Though he still looked troubled he had gained control of his emotions or rather Severus’s.

Severus unclenched his fists and pushed the shame and anger down, putting on a blank expression on his face. “Bring forth your memory now, Potter.”

Potter gave him another nod and then closed his eyes in order to concentrate, while James and Lilly argued in the background.

Severus just watched as James threatened to take his pants off in the memory while Lily was walking away from them. Severus couldn't prevent the emotions he was feeling, so he focused on preventing his reactions towards the memory instead.

“It’s not working.” Potter said with frustration.

“Try harder.” He barked, perhaps he wasn’t able to control his reactions as much as he thought he could and let some of his anger slip.

“I tried! It's not working! I told you I was feeling different.”

“Potter-

“I think… I am... my mind is not connected to the globe like before.” Potter explained.

“If that was the case then you wouldn’t be feeling my emotions.” Severus said, gesturing towards where everyone was scrambling away from Severus as Professor Slughorn came towards the crowd that had gathered to watch the confrontation between James and Severus.

“I don't think I am feeling your emotions. All I felt was anger towards my father, Sirius, Remus and mum. If I was feeling your emotions surely I would be feeling more than that, right?” Potter said, just as James dropped young Severus unceremoniously and ran away, bringing the memory to an end.

“Hmm.” Severus said watching the cracks on the globe. “You must have somehow disconnected yourself from the globe during the accidental magic.”

“Yeah.” Potter glanced at the snow. “But is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

“It's hard to say at this point. But it means that the globe can’t control your memories, that also means that you can’t change the memories.” Severus answered, his voice a bit shaky after reliving one of his worst memory.

“Well, then you will have to change the memory and get us out of here.”

Severus sighed, he didn’t have a strong enough memory for that. Potter’s memory was, Severus had been engulfed with hope when the boy had changed the memory.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3595