True Heart by mandancie
Summary: Starting a new adventure, Harry learns there's more to life than what he's seen.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Out of Character, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 100574 Read: 60551 Published: 12 Jul 2020 Updated: 07 Mar 2024
Chapter 16: Haunting Past by mandancie
Author's Notes:
A/N: (___~~~) indicates the past.

___~~~___~~~___~~~

Albus was sitting in one of the booths of The Three Broomsticks. He had just finished a very intriguing interview with Sybil Trelawny. The Headmaster knew of the gift of the seer within the family. And bless her heart, Albus knew that dear Sybil did not possess that gift. But something did happen during their talk that led Albus to the decision he made. 


Sybil was in the process of gathering her things from her home and having them transported to Hogwarts. Albus knew she had to be protected. And if giving her protection under the guise of a teaching position, so be it. 


A commotion in the front of the pub brought Albus out of his thoughts. He got up to investigate and saw one of Rosemertta’s barmen tangling with a smaller man. When Albus got a better look at the boy, he recognized him immediately.


“Is there a problem?” Albus asked.


The barman had the boy’s robes in a strong grip. So strong, that the child looked like he was almost choking. 


“Release the child,” Albus ordered softly.


“He snuck in here,” the barman growled. “He’s been eavesdropping. I saw him.”


“I will not ask again,” Albus said. 


“Fine,” the barman sneered, pushing the boy away from him. “Whatever.”


Albus reached out and caught the teen before he fell. He looked over the boy, checking to make sure he was unharmed. When he was satisfied that the teen was unharmed, he escorted the boy back to the table he was previously sitting.


“Sit down, Mr. Snape,” Albus said, luring the boy to one of the chairs.


Severus sat down; head bent. His hair blanketed her face.


“Severus,” Albus called softly. “Please look at me.”


Ever so slowly, Severus looked up at his Headmaster. Albus could see the boy was trying to shield himself from whatever was about to happen.


“Severus, why are you here?” Albus asked. “I don’t believe this is one of the Hogsmead-sanctioned visits.”


Severus lowered his head and didn’t reply.


“I have all the time in the world,” Albus said. “You on the other hand…”


There was a long beat of silence between the older and younger wizards. Albus had a small smile on his face because he wanted to see how long it would take for Severus Snape to cave. He admired how long the child was holding out. 


Albus figured they were going to be there for a while, so he ordered a pot of tea and biscuits. 


After about thirty minutes, Severus started to get antsy. He started fidgeting. Albus sat calmly, sipping on his tea. 


“You are welcome to drink some of your tea,” Albus calmly said. “I will not withhold food or drink from you, even when you’re being stubborn.”


His eyes twinkled as he watched the indecision pass over the child’s face. Albus figured Severus didn’t know how to take that. At that moment he saw something different in the child. It pained him. Had no one ever said that to him? What had the child been through?


Albus was about to ask his question when Severus opened his mouth. 


“I can’t tell you,” Severus whispered.


“What can’t you tell me?” Albus inquired. “Did someone make you come here?”


Severus opened his mouth as if he would speak, but he quickly closed it. Severus prided himself on being able to hide his emotions. He learned early on that emotions were a sign of weakness. He couldn’t be weak. Not where he lived. Not in school. Nowhere. 


Albus didn’t like what he was seeing. At first, he thought Severus was just being defiant. But now, there seemed to be some underlying issues that he feared to talk about. Looking around the pub, it seemed empty, but Albus was no fool. He knew that things are never as they appeared. 


Albus abruptly stood, reaching for Severus’ arm. When Severus stood a small parchment fell from his robes. Before the teen could reach down to retrieve it, it floated into Albus’ hands. 


“Come child,” Albus said, pocketing the parchment. Albus turned Severus towards the entrance to the pub and the two of them walked out. He gripped Severus’ arm tightly. 


“One of the benefits of being Headmaster-,” Albus said before both wizards disappeared from the streets. 


Severus, not being ready for apparating, almost collapsed on the floor of Albus’ chambers if said man wasn’t still holding his arm.


“-The Headmaster is the only person who can apparate in and out of the castle,” Albus finished. 


“A little warning next time,” Severus snapped without thinking. 


The minute the words left his mouth, what little color he had on his face left him. He had just mouthed off the Headmaster. What was going to happen to him now? 


“Have a seat, Mr. Snape,” Albus said, walking behind his desk and sitting down. 


“Please forgive me, Headmaster,” Severus pleaded. “I didn’t mean to say that.”


Albus had a small smile on his face and extended his hand towards the chair across from him. “Sit, please.”


Severus cautiously walked towards the purple overly plush chair the Headmaster referred to. He looked to the Headmaster and saw the man nodding as he slowly sat down. 


It was pretty comfortable. He figured it would be the last time he would be comfortable before he was kicked out for yelling at the Headmaster. 


Albus noticed how much he was able to read Severus now. He heard tales about the Headmaster’s office before but had never seen it before now.


“Severus, my dear boy,” Albus soothed. “Please calm yourself. You are fine.”


Severus looked skeptical at the Headmaster. Severus felt anything but fine. How was he supposed to calm himself? After the language and attitude he just gave to the Headmaster, how was he fine?


“Dear child,” Albus soothed. “You are correct. I should have warned you about our manner of transport, but I was in a rush to know what you were doing.”


Severus just looked at the Headmaster. He was correct? That was not something he expected the professor to say. 


“Now,” Albus started, leaning back in his chair and rubbing his beard. “I want you to tell me who put you up to sneaking out of the castle.”


For the next forty-five minutes, Severus spoke about everything that he learned from some of the older Slytherins. He talked about how he was bullied into leaving the castle, and what would happen if he didn’t do it. He spoke about the indifference he felt from some of the other professors towards him.


Albus listened with rapt attention. The more Severus talked, the angrier Albus became. Albus knew Severus Snape was a loner. The only other person he saw the boy with was the sweet Gryffindor, Ms. Evans. 


While Severus talked, he pulled at his robes causing them to slide off one shoulder. It pulled his shirt. Severus’ neck was exposed. That caught Albus’ attention.


“Mr. Snape.” Albus cut the boy off, raising his hand. “What happened?” Albus pointed towards the child.


“What happened where?” Severus replied. He didn’t know what the professor was talking about. 


“Come to me, please,” Albus said, moving his chair back. 


Severus’ home life had taught him to never be within striking distance. It never went well. Especially, when his dad was drunk. But for some strange reason, he went to the Headmaster.


Standing in front of Albus, Severus tried to hide his nervousness. It felt weird being so close to the Headmaster but also felt comforting. He saw Albus reach for him. It surprised him that he didn’t feel the need to back away.


Albus got a closer look at Severus’ neck. Anger filled the elderly man, thinking that the barman at The Three Broomsticks had caused Severus to get those bruises from how he was holding the child. He was about to ask if it still hurt when he saw it was an older bruise. 


Albus looked at the teen standing in front of him. “Who hurt you, child?”


That one question opened up a dam. Severus lowered his head and started crying. He didn’t know if it was the question or the comforting way it was asked that affected him so. The tears started flowing and they couldn’t stop.  


The sudden tears broke Albus’ heart. Without saying a word, he stood in front of the boy, wrapping his arms around him. The way Severus melded into his arms, led Albus to believe that no one had ever comforted the child before.


___~~~___~~~___~~~


The sound of the floo going off brought Albus out of his reminiscing. 


Severus walked over to the desk and sat down on the overly plush chair that sat across Albus’ desk.


“I know you are a meddling old fool,” Severus snarled. “But tell me you didn’t set this up.”


“Where is Harry?” Albus asked. 


“He’s asleep,” Severus growled. “Answer me. Did you plan on Harry revealing his past as you did in the past with me?”


Albus looked at his adopted boy. Remembering the beginning of Severus becoming his son brought back old feelings. 


“I did not intend for this to happen,” Albus said. “Neither time did I plan on that information to come out. I did want information from you as well as young Harry. The revealing of the abuse you and Harry went through was just a byproduct of this room.”


Severus stared at Albus for a moment before sagging into the chair with a loud sigh. 


“He was abused,” Severus said. 


“Yes, he was,” Albus confirmed. 


“Albus-”


“He will not be going back,” Albus declared. “I made that mistake with you. I will not make it again.”


Severus didn’t know how to take that statement. Ever since the adoption, it had always been hard for him to accept Albus’ feelings toward him. 


“To ease your anger,” Albus said. “The reason I brought Mr. Potter here was to see if I could find out how he got separated from Hagrid. Even if he doesn’t remember, his body and mind would still know. Only his conscious mind was affected. I was just as shocked as you when he started spilling about what he goes through in that house.”


It was quiet for a moment before Severus spoke again. 


“What happened with Petunia?”


“What makes you assume that I would know?” Albus inquired.


“I know you, dad,” Severus smirked. “Don’t think I don’t know what you did with my father. I suspect that you did something, so I wouldn’t have to.”


“My boy,” Albus said proudly. His eyes twinkled. “What brilliance.”


Severus rolled his eyes. 


“Let’s just say they reaped what they sowed.” Albus’ tone changed when he asked, “How is Harry doing?”


“I don’t know,” Severus answered. “I guess only time will tell. Right now, I don’t think he believes that anything that happened to him was wrong.”


“Well, we’ll just have to dissuade him of that notion,” Albus said. “I am surprised he isn’t attached to you,” Albus smirked.


Severus glared at the old man sitting across from him. Leave it to Albus to try to change the mood of the room. 


“I said he’s asleep,” Severus said. “He was emotionally exhausted, so I put him in my bed.”


Albus was about to reply when a rolled parchment popped on his desk. Both wizards knew that only a select few places had the power to send messages in this manner.


Severus got up, “I’ll be in my chambers.”


“No,” Albus said, reading the missive. “I think you will need to come with me.”


“What’s going on?” Severus asked his brow knitting together.


Albus looked up at his son. “Go get Harry. I’ll call Minerva.”


“What is it?” Severus asked, walking back to Albus’ desk.


“I’ll tell you, but go get Harry,” Albus said urgently. “Now.”


Severus looked at Albus for a moment then turned and floo’ed back to his chambers. 


When the green flames disappeared from the hearth, Albus looked back down at the parchment in his hands. Absently, he waved his hand and sent out his phoenix Patronus.


___000___000___000

Bill was sitting in Griphook’s office. He hated how things turned out. The Goblins were trying to keep this debacle from leaking out. Bill hated that he was the one to give them the news, but it was his job.


The scandal the bank wanted to squash would be huge. Not only did something nefarious happen within the bank, but who the person was that was wronged. Harry Potter was a celebrity in the Wizarding Community. Although from what Bill gathered when he met Harry, the child either didn’t know or didn’t care about his status. 


Griphook was able to find the Elf that put the spell on the Will. She was surprised that she did something so awful. After apologizing profusely and punishing herself, Griphook cast an archaic spell on the Elf. It was learned that an Unforgivable was placed on the Elf, so she didn’t know who ordered her to create this problem. 


The Elf was now in one of the Goblins’ charm-removal rooms. With the right combination of spells and charms, the identity of the culprit would be forthcoming.


Bill figured his job was finished since he identified the charm and runes that were put on the parchment. He was surprised when he got another summons to come to Griphook’s office.


The door opened bringing Bill out of his thoughts. He was shocked by who came in. Professors Dumbledore and Snape along with Harry. Bill stood up to greet everyone.


“Professor Dumbledore,” Bill said. “Professor Snape. Is everything alright?”


“We were summoned,” Albus replied.


Before Bill could respond, Griphook walked into the door.


“You’re all here,” Griphook groused. “Sit, please.” Griphook walked to the other side of his desk and sat down. 


Severus and Albus took the two remaining chairs. Harry stood by the wall in the corner of the room. Severus saw that Harry was basically hiding, trying to look as unimposing as possible. The child was already twisting his fingers in his robes. Harry looked at Severus; without saying a word, Severus crooked his finger beckoning the child to him. Without hesitation, Harry walked over to him.


Severus pulled the child until he was standing in front of him. Severus, once again, freed the boy’s fingers. Severus knew Harry was nervous. The child couldn’t help it, but he was determined to get the child to calm down enough to stop the painful habits he had.


“Shall we begin?” Griphook said. “Mr. Potter,” Harry turned to face the Goblin, “there seems that there was a blunder in regards to your parents’ Will.”


Hearing that there was something about his parents, Harry perked up. Harry wanted to soak in whatever news he could learn about his parents.


Severus noticed that Harry stayed in front of him and he was leaning on his leg for support.


“Your parents’ Will,” Griphook continued, “was to have been read ten years ago.”


Severus’ brow furrowed at that information. He wanted to wait until he heard everything before commenting, but he couldn’t hold his tongue. “What was the reason why it wasn’t read?”


Griphook actually paled a little. 


Severus was surprised to see that reaction. Normally, Goblins were well refined. Strictly business-like. Emotions did not mix when dealing with money. It was the main reason Severus respected Goblins. But this was suspicious.


Bill spoke up, “It seems that there was a charm placed on the Will that prevented access to it.”


Severus looked from Griphook to Mr. Weasley and back to Griphook. The was unprecedented. Learning that his best friend’s Will was by all accounts missing was disconcerting. 


Griphook cleared his throat and continued on. “We now have the Will and I thought it was high time it was read.”


Griphook was about to read the Will, but Albus said nothing just held out his hand.


Severus looked over at the Headmaster and could see that the older wizard was angry. There was no twinkle in the man’s ice-blue eyes. With his ability to feel others’ magical signatures, Severus could feel his adopted father’s magic flowing off him in waves. 


Almost in a trance, Griphook reached over his desk, handing the parchment over to the Headmaster of Hogwarts.


Albus read the Will in silence. The entire room was quiet. After a few minutes, a small smile began to form on Albus’ mouth.


“Professor Dumbledore,” Harry’s voice broke through the silence in the room. 


“Yes, child,” Albus said, looking up at the boy.


“Is everything okay?” Harry asked. 


“Yes, child,” Albus said, handing the Will over to Severus. “It will be okay now.” His normal twinkle came back in full force.


Harry watched his safety as he read the parchment. He wanted to ask what it said, but he didn’t want to disturb him. 


Severus looked at the small child in front of him to the Headmaster and back to Harry. 


“Are you serious?” Severus asked Albus.


Harry wondered what his professor was talking about. 


“They were her wishes,” Albus replied, smiling. 


Severus couldn’t believe what he was reading. He had always thought that she didn’t forgive him. He had tried and tried for months to apologize for what slipped out that dreadful day. He hated himself ever since that day. It was that day that truly turned his life into a cruel miserable existence. The only light, though he would never admit it to the old coot, was being adopted by Albus. 


She forgave him. Lily forgave him. She made him- 


Not able to hold back anymore, Harry asked, “Professor Snape, what does it say?”


“It seems, Harry,” Severus said. “If your parents passed away, you were to come to me. I was named your Godfather.”


It took a second for Harry to comprehend what his safety just said to him. He remembered Hagrid telling him that his mum and Professor Snape were best friends. Growing up, he always wanted to have some kind of connection with his parents. He didn’t get that from Aunt Petunia. She hated him. He tried to get her to like him, but it didn’t matter what he did. 


His mind continued to wander to what he lived through and the fact that if that paper would have been found earlier he could have been with his safety a long time ago. Tears blurred his eyes as all the hatred, pain, and heartache he lived through. All the beatings and the bullying. 


Severus could feel a more powerful magical wave emitting from someone. He knew who it was from and he reached out to the child and tried to defuse the situation. But a second before he reached for Harry’s arm. The child turned and faced the Goblin sitting at his desk. 


What happened next was immediate. The wall behind Griphook exploded with a loud blast. Griphook was thrown out of his chair and through the hole that was once the wall. Other Goblins came rushing in to see what the commotion was.


When Severus touched Harry’s arm, the child turned back to his safety and collapsed into his arms. Harry wrapped his arms around Severus' neck and began crying.  


___000___000___000

Albus and Severus were back at Hogwarts. Harry refused to let Severus go, not that he was going to release the child. Learning that Harry was supposed to be with him and knowing what the child lived through, Severus wasn’t in a hurry to let the child go. 


After saying their farewells to Bill Weasley, the trio tried to leave Gringotts. They were stopped by a few Goblins asking if they would keep the unfortunate circumstance quiet. The wizards did not feel agreeable because of the damage that was caused by their “unfortunate circumstance.” They left without a word and came straight back to the school.


Harry had long since stopped crying. But he didn’t want to let his safety go. He kept his firm grip on Professor Snape’s robes. Someone would have to pry the grabbed cloth from his fingers for him to let go. Hearing that they were back at Hogwarts, Harry remembered what the Sorting Hat told him when he was getting sorted. 


“You have an ally here. Someone who will fight for you.”


The hat was right. Professor Snape fought for me. He protected me. And now, he learned his professor was his Godfather. 


Minerva walked into Albus’ chambers and saw Albus behind his desk and Severus in one of the chairs with Harry on his lap.


“Ah, my dear,” Albus welcomed his Deputy Headmistress.


“What happened?” Minerva asked, sitting in the chair next to Severus.


“It seems there was a huge blunder at Gringotts,” Albus said.


“A blunder? At Gringotts?” Minerva asked. “No. Impossible.”


Albus pulled a rolled parchment from his robes and floated it over to Minerva. She grabbed it, put on her reading glasses that always hung around her neck, and began reading. 


Her expression changed as she read; from neutral, to angry, to furious. She took off her glasses and looked at Severus and Albus.


“Where was this?” Minerva asked, waving the Will in her hand.


“It seems that it was lost,” Severus answered. “They didn’t learn about it until a month ago.”


“Yes,” Albus continued. “They assigned Bill Weasley to check on the authenticity of the parchment.”


“Was that why he was here?” Minerva asked. 


“Yes.” Albus nodded. “He wanted to know who put the runes that were on the Will. I along with his late twin uncles designed the runes. I was unaware that it had been lost for ten years.”


“Well, Severus,” Minerva said, smirking at the Potions Master. “It seems that you now have a Godson.”


Severus knew after everything he said at the end of summer and the beginning of the school year, those two geezers would not let him live it down.


“It appears so,” Severus said.


“Harry,” Minerva called.


Without lifting his head, Harry turned and looked at his Transfiguration professor and smiled. 


“Are you happy you found out you have a Godfather?”


Harry nodded enthusiastically. “He’s my safety.”


“That he is, Harry,” Albus said. “That he is.”


Severus rolled his eyes. 


TBC 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3599