True Heart by mandancie
Summary: Starting a new adventure, Harry learns there's more to life than what he's seen.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Out of Character, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 100574 Read: 60696 Published: 12 Jul 2020 Updated: 07 Mar 2024
Chapter 18: The Holidays Are Here by mandancie

Ron was in one of the train’s compartments, leaning against the glass, watching the scenery as it whizzed by. He was happy that he was going home for Christmas. But his thoughts were still on his best friend, who was staying alone at Hogwarts. 


“Hey, Ronnie,” George called, sitting next to his little brother.


“What’s wrong?” Fred asked. 


“Harry’s all alone,” Ron sighed. “I just don’t think it’s right.”


“Well,” George said, “talk to mum. Maybe she can call Professor McGonagall and ask if Harry can come over.”


Ron thought about it and agreed that would be a great idea. There were plenty of things he and Harry could do during the holidays. Just thinking of activities lightened Ron’s mood. 


When the train arrived at 9¾ station, the Weasley group exited alone with the other children. At the beginning of school, the station was packed with parents. It was the same now. 


The four Weasley boys, not worrying about lugging a baggage cart, waiting for their dad to pick them up. Percy had received an owl the day before that the four of them were to wait at the entrance to the station. 


Percy led the small group of red-headed boys. Fred and George flanked Ron. When they stepped through the secret entrance, they were surprised at who was waiting for them. 


“Bill,” Ron shrieked, running towards his oldest brother. 


Bill held his arms open for his baby brother. He felt bad that he didn’t see Ron again when he was at Hogwarts, but he had to rush back to Gringotts at the time. 


“Whoa,” Fred started.


“What are-” George piped in.


“-you doing here?” Fred finished. 


“I have missed listening to you two,” Bill said to the twins. He walked over to the twins, wrapping his arms around both of their necks, giving them a small squeeze. 


“Are you staying for Christmas?” Fred asked. 


“Oh, that would be wicked if you are,” Ron exclaimed. 


“Yes,” Bill answered. “I’m staying for the holidays.”


“Will it be fine with work?” Percy asked.


Bill walked over to his more serious brother. He always admired his little brother. Percy wanted to make everyone proud. The teen felt that if he did well and got a good job, he could help their mum and dad around the house. 


“Perc,” Bill said, wrapping his arm around Percy’s shoulders. “Everything will be fine. Now, come on, let’s get out of here. Mum is waiting for you.”


Bill held out his arm for the twins to grab. Percy kept hold of the arm that was around his shoulders. And Ron stood in front of Bill and wrapped his arms around his oldest brother’s waist. Bill apparated him and his brothers to their home.  


Once they landed at the Burrows, the boys released Bill and ran for the house. The twins got to the door first. When they ran in, they were tackled to the ground.


Very few could ever catch the twins off guard. Fred and George twisted and turned and squirmed from their attacker. It was George who got free first. When he turned to see who tackled them, he was shocked and speechless. 


Before George could talk, there was another shriek. This time the twins’ attacker was tackled. This action made it possible for Fred to break free. 


“Charlie,” George and Fred exclaimed together.


“When did you get here?” Fred asked.  


“Let me up, squirt,” Charlie huffed a little breathless after tussling with his brothers. 


Charlie stood up laughing, pulling his little brother over his shoulder and making Ron hang upside down in his arms. “Just got in last night.”


“Well, I guess all of us will be home this Christmas,” Bill said, standing in the doorway with Percy. 


Charlie put Ron down and walked over to Bill. Since Charlie had been staying at the Dragon Reserves, it had been five years since he’d seen his oldest brother. Though they still stayed in touch with one another via owl post, it didn’t substitute seeing each other in person. 


Bill walked over to Charlie and gave him a tight hug.

“I didn’t know you were coming home,” Bill whispered to his brother. “Why didn’t you tell me?”


The brothers separated. 


“How would it be a surprise if I did that?” Charlie smirked at his brother. He looked over at Percy, who was still standing in the doorway. “Wanna come and say hi?” Charlie asked, holding out his arms.


Percy walked slowly towards his brother. Charlie gripped the teen and pulled him into a hug when he got arm's length. 


“I’m glad you’re home, Charlie,” Percy softly said. 


Percy wasn’t one to show much emotion. He felt that one would need a good education and hard work to be successful. Percy admired his older brothers. Bill was a well-renowned curse breaker. Only the best could work at Gringotts. And Charlie was a savant when it came to dealing with dragons. Percy followed his brother’s career at the Dragon Reserves. He knew that Charlie was the only one that could handle and train the Norwegian Ridgeback dragon, the most fierce of the dragon species. 


Percy wanted to follow in their footsteps and become successful with what he wanted to do. He wanted to work in the Ministry. He was hoping to apply for an internship with his father. It would be a step in the right direction. 


“Enough overthinking,” Charlie whispered to Percy. “Lighten up. We’re having a family Christmas.”


Molly listened to her sons from the kitchen. It had been long since all of her boys were home simultaneously. She couldn’t wait for Arthur to come home with Ginny. Then everything would be perfect.


___000___000___000

Harry woke up to a hand rubbing his back. The first thing he realized was he was in his Godfather’s chambers. 


“Wake up, Harry, or you’ll not sleep tonight.”


Harry curled into a small ball before stretching out on the sofa. He looked up at the man and gave his Godfather a sheepish smile. 


“Hi, Professor,” Harry softly said. 


“No need for shyness now,” Severus said, tapping the boy’s hip. “Get up. Go wash up. I want you to eat something.” Harry sat up on the sofa, putting his glasses on his nose. “And if I’m going to have those garish items on my walls, you’ll need to hurry. I will not do this alone.”


“I can help?” Harry asked. His smile split across his face.


“Yes, of course,” Severus replied. “Why wouldn’t you? You picked some of those items out. Now, hurry.” 


Severus couldn’t help the warm feeling at how excited Harry got at the idea of helping decorate his chambers. If something as small as decorating his chambers brought excitement to the child, it was worth every greenery and bauble Severus purchased.


Severus stood and was headed towards the fireplace to call down to the kitchens when his small spider monkey rushed back into the room. He almost smiled at the way the child looked. The boy’s hair was as wet as if he had taken a cup of water and splashed it on his face. His hands were still wet. 


Shaking his head, Severus silently accio’ed a towel and walked over to his godson. 


“You know,” Severus admonished lightly while drying the child off. “The decorations will not disappear. Plus, I believe you are old enough to dry yourself properly.”


Harry stood still while his Godfather dried him off. He would never get tired of this feeling. Not only hearing that his Godfather cared about it but actually seeing it and feeling it. No one ever cared for him. He heard all the things his dormmates wanted for Christmas, and they all sounded good. But for Harry, this right here, having someone care for him, giving up their gloves so his hands could be warm, having someone care if he was comfortable or not, making sure he was fed and healthy. That was the best Christmas present Harry could ever want.


“Go sit down at the table,” Severus said, patting his bottom. “I’ll call for dinner.”


When Severus sat across from Harry, two covered platters popped on the table. Shepherd's pie was on the menu. Since being at Hogwarts, Shepherd’s Pie had become his favorite meal. Severing himself, he began to eat. The child didn’t notice the strange look of the Potion Master opposite him. 


“Is that all you’re going to eat?” Severus asked as he plated his meal. 


Harry shrugged his shoulders as he swallowed the food in his mouth. He didn’t want to talk about his freakish issues today. It’s been a happy day. 


“It’s not a lot,” Severus continued. “I’ve noticed before that you don’t get much food. Does your stomach hurt when you eat?”


“Sometimes,” Harry shrugged. “I try not to eat too much. I don’t want to get in trouble, and I guess my stomach is used to not eating that much.” Harry ate another spoonful. 


Severus didn’t like the sound of that. If the boy wasn’t eating properly, there could be more underlying issues. 


“It is not good that you don’t eat as much,” Severus said. “We may have to visit Madam Pomfrey.”


Harry’s spoon dropped from the child’s hand with a clatter. The small amount of food spattered onto the table, causing it to spill on the child’s clothes.


Go to the Infirmary. He couldn’t go there. He just couldn’t. Harry looked down at his food and then to the platter in the middle of the table. He had to prove he didn’t need to go. 


Harry reached out, took handfuls of the potatoes, and stuffed them into his mouth.  


Severus saw the child paling, but when Harry reached into the food and tried to force-feed himself, stupefaction isn’t the word that best described what Severus felt. He got up and knelt by the child’s side. 


Severus grabbed the cloth napkin from next to the child’s plate and put it over Harry’s mouth. 


“Spit, Harry. Spit.” Severus commanded. “You’re going to choke yourself.”


Harry, tears streaming down his cheeks, continued to try and swallow the overabundance of food that was in his mouth. But the strong urging from his Professor, he did as he was told.


After getting the food out of the child’s mouth and discarding it onto the table, Severus picked Harry up from his seat before sitting down and cradling the child in his lap. While Harry calmed down enough so they could talk, Severus used that time to calm himself. He never expected this reaction. The Potions Master remembered before that Harry skirted around going to the Infirmary. He didn’t think anything alarming was behind Harry’s refusal. Originally, he suspected that the child was being stubborn. Now, the Potions Master saw that there was a deeper reason for his godson’s reaction.


“Sweet Merlin,” Severus whispered to himself, trying to calm his anger. “What did those bastards do to you?”


Severus continued to rock Harry in his arms while rubbing the child’s back. Slowly, Harry relaxed against his Professor’s body. 


Once Harry calmed some, Severus asked what he should have asked in the beginning, “Harry, why are you afraid of going to the Infirmary?”


Harry turned his face towards Severus’ chest. He didn’t want to answer, but he knew he would have to tell him.    


“Harry,” Severus said, cupping the child’s face in his hands. “Talk to me; why?”  


“Freaks get sent away,” Harry mumbled. “Freaks aren’t to go to the doctor. If they go, then they get taken away. Sent to a bad place where they do bad things to freaks.”


“Do you think I’m weak?” Severus asked, trying to keep the growl from his tone. He did not like that his so-called relatives put those evil thoughts in his godson’s head.


The question surprised Harry. His anxiety, forgotten, slowly dwindled as he shook his head. He looked up at his safety. Weak? Never. His safety was never weak. His safety was the most feared Professor in all of Hogwarts.


“Do you think I would allow anyone to take you from me?” Severus continued.


Again, Harry shook his head in the negative, stunned silence.


“So, who do you think is going to try?” Severus raised his brow in question. “You are my godson. No one will take you away from me. Understand?”


“Yes, sir,” Harry whispered, nodding his head.


Severus nodded, then said, “I also believe I’ve spoken about calling my godson a freak.”


Harry bit his lip, laying his head on Severus’ shoulder. “I’m sorry.”


“Nothing to apologize for,” Severus soothed.


Harry sighed, nodding. 


“Now,” Severus said. “Let’s clean this food off of us, and we’ll start decorating.”


Usually, Harry would want to get an extra squeeze before letting go.  This time, Severus gave an additional squeeze before they released each other. 


___000___000___000

After everyone had put their things away, it was declared that a Quidditch pick-up game was in order. It had been a few years since the famous Gryffindor Seeker played, but Charlie was up to the challenge. The twins would take their usual positions as Beaters. Even though Percy wasn’t as fond of Quidditch as his siblings, he still loved playing the game with his brothers. Percy and Ron would play dual positions of Keeper and Chaser, while Bill would take the position of the opposing Seeker. 


Before the Weasley boys could kick off the ground, a screech could be heard down the pathway that led towards the house. They all looked to see Ginny and their dad, Arthur, walking up the path.


Ginny took off in a run when she saw that her older brothers were in the mix of different shades of red-heads. She saw Bill when he came looking through their uncles’ trunks. Her attention was on her other brother, Charlie. She hadn’t seen him for five years. 


Charlie dropped his broom and met his baby sister halfway. When she lept in his arms, Charlie gripped her with ease, holding her in his arms. 


“When did you get in?” Ginny asked. Charlie’s clothes muffled her voice. 


“Late last night,” Charlie said. “How have you been?” He lowered his baby sister to the ground. He put his hand on her head to measure how tall she’d gotten. “Boy, I’ve been gone too long. You’ll be taller than me soon.”


“No, I won’t,” Ginny disagreed, shaking her head. “But I’m so glad that you’re home.” Wrapping her arms around his waist, “I missed you.”


“Is Charlie all you see?” Bill said, walking towards his brother and sister. 


Ginny walked over to Bill and gave him a one-arm hug. “I saw you a couple of weeks ago.” When she released Bill, she walked over to her other brothers, giving each of them a hug. When she walked over to Ron, it was more of a shove between them than a hug. Since they were close in age, they spent the most time together. 


“Are y’all about to play Quidditch?” Ginny excitedly asked. 


“What gave it away?” Ron smirked. 


The Weasley girl lightly punched Ron on the arm. 


“Go get your broom,” Percy said. “Then we can redistribute the positions.”


Ginny rushed to the small outside cupboard that housed the brooms and pulled out her broom. 


They had their usual positions when they were together. Fred and George would have dual roles of Beaters and Keepers. Percy and Ron were the Chasers. Ginny and Charlie were the Seekers. Bill would be the referee. He would also make sure that injuries were at a minimum. 


Each of the Quidditch balls was charmed for practice. Like the Bludgers during the school’s practices, they were charmed, so they didn’t cause damage if they were to hit one of them.


Arthur watched, standing at the door as his children, all of them, got ready to play their favorite game. He was extremely happy that all seven of them were home. 


Arthur walked into the house to find his wife. She was in the kitchen whipping together her usual exuberant meal for her family. He walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. 


“How are you doing, my love?” Arthur asked as he leaned down and kissed Molly on the side of her neck.


“Wonderful,” Molly replied. “All of my lovelies are home. We are together.”


“That we are,” Arthur agreed. 


“Where are they?” Molly asked, leaning back against Arthur’s shoulder so she could look up at him. 


“Starting a pick-up game,” Arthur replied, stepping away from his wife after giving his wife a peck on the mouth. “Are you almost done? Should I call for them?”


“It is almost finished, but let them have their fun. It can wait,” Molly said, finishing up dinner. “Plus, they will be hungry when they are done.”


“I don’t think hunger is ever a problem with our kids,” Arthur said, smiling. 


When the final touches were finished, Molly waved her hand, letting the food float to the middle of the table. Dishes and flatware were already around the edges of the table. Once all was ready, Arthur waved his hand over the food to keep it warm. The two adult Weasleys walked outside and sat on make-shift chairs that were made out of reinforced crate boxes as they watched their children play Quidditch. 


+0+0+0

Like always, dinner at the Weasleys was never dull or quiet. There was a mix of loud conversations, each speaking over the other and flatware scraping against plates. To most, the scene of the Weasleys eating together would seem like chaos, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. This was love. No one felt out of place. All seven children felt the love of their parents. 


After dinner, Molly started the dishes to wash themselves. Everyone scattered to do different things. Percy and Ginny went to her room. She was closest with Percy; those two had a special bond. Fred and George barricaded themselves in their room. That was always a wary feat. There was always a fear that those two would burn the house to the ground. Bill and Charlie went with their father to his office. 


Ron usually spent his time with the twins. The bond between Ginny and Percy equaled Ron’s bond with the twin brothers. Ron walked to his mother. He had something on his mind that he needed to share with his mum. He usually didn’t have his pet rat with him when he went to the kitchen, but he was a little nervous about talking with his mum. Rubbing Scabbers’ back helped soothe him. 


“Mum,” Ron said. “Can we talk?”


“Sure, sweetie,” Molly said, wiping her hand on her apron, then sitting down on one of the chairs. 


Ron followed suit. 


“What is it?” Molly asked. 


“I’m worried about Harry,” Ron stated. 


During the school term, Ron and the twins wrote to their mum regularly. In Ron’s first letter, he excitedly revealed to their mum that his first friend was Harry Potter. In every letter since then, he spoke of all the fun things they talked about. 


“Why? Is something wrong?” Molly asked. 


“Yeah, he’s all alone at Hogwarts. Everyone in Gryffindor went home for the holidays. Harry is all by himself. This is his first magical Christmas. I don’t want him to be alone.”


“Alright,” Molly said. “I’ll floo-call Professor McGonagall in the morning and see what we can do about it.”


Ron rushed to his mother’s side and quickly hugged her. “Thanks, mum!”


+0+0+0

Later that night, it was quiet throughout the Weasleys’ humble home. All the children were asleep. Arthur was making sure everything was locked up. He climbed the stairs and stopped at the different bedrooms to look at his sleeping children. 


Since Ginny took Charlie’s old room and Arthur turned Ginny’s room into a study, Charlie and Bill shared a room; they didn’t mind. The Weasley patriarch stood in the doorway looking at his oldest boys. It had been so long since they were home and even longer since they slept in the same room. 


After checking on Percy and Ginny, Arthur went to his twins. He always had to ensure there was nothing around that could burn the house down during the night. Fred and George were a handful, but he wouldn’t change a thing about them. Those two brought so much life to the family.


His final child to check on was his youngest boy. Ron’s room was at the top of the house. Ron would sneak up to the roof to look out at the expansive land and the starry sky at night. Since Ron liked it up in the attic so much, Arthur designed a room for his child. Ron’s loved it ever since. 


Arthur walked into his bedroom. Molly was already getting in bed. 


“Is every one asleep?” Molly asked. 


Arthur nodded as he started unbuttoning his shirt.


“It’s so wonderful to have everyone home.”


“It is,” Molly agreed.


“The house seems full again,” Arthur said. 


“Well,” Molly said, pulling down Arthur’s side of the bed, “come on to bed. Now that they are home, we’ll need all the rest we can get. You know how rambunctious our children are.”


Arthur laughed as he walked over to Molly’s side of the bed, leaned over, and kissed her.


___000___000___000

The next morning, Severus walked into his chambers' sitting room, wanting to gouge his eyes out at how silly the room looked. It was too early in the morning for this. It looked as if all the holiday stores had an explosion go off in his rooms. There wasn’t a clear spot on the walls or furniture. There was greenery and holly and colorful baubles and a mistletoe. 


Yes, actually a mistletoe.

 

Severus couldn’t get upset about how the room looked. The look on Harry’s face while they were decorating made everything worth it. Severus did have to put his foot down on decorating his high wing-back leather chair. The child wanted to put bows on the corner, but Severus asked (almost begged) if they could leave his chair alone. Harry wasn’t deterred. He just shrugged and went off to put the bows somewhere else.


+0+0+0

While Harry continued to add more decorations, Severus’ house-elf, Tami, informed him that there was a new room added to his chambers. The Potion Master couldn’t get angry about that. He was going to have the child stay with him during the holidays. From what he heard from the child, the boy never had a decent Christmas and was always alone. That was not happening this time. Severus instructed Tami to fix up the room for the child, making sure he had all he needed.


After finally getting the last candy cane placed on the coffee table, Harry stood back and examined his work. Harry's chest was sticking out. He was so proud of what he did.


It was that look of pride that kept the snide remarks away. Severus knew he would have to mentally prepare himself for Albus and Minerva coming to his chambers. He knew those two geezers would not let him live this down. But looking at his godson’s face and how much joy bloomed from the child made all the cracks his adopted father would say worth it.


When Severus saw Harry yawning, he figured it was time to call it a night. 


“Well done, Harry,” Severus praised. Harry beamed. “I think it is time you get ready for bed. It’s getting late.”


“Oh,” Harry sighed, his brow furrowing. “Okay. Good night, Professor.” 


Harry walked towards the door to leave. 


“Mr. Potter,” Severus barked, causing the child to turn and face Severus. “Where do you think you’re going?”


“Uh, to the tower?” Harry said, pointing towards his Potion Master’s chamber door.


Severus only raised his eyebrow at the child.


“I’m not?” Harry raised his eyebrows in question. “But where do I go?”


Severus pointed down the small hallway that led to the bathroom. “Go get ready for bed. I’m sure you recall where the bathroom is?”


Harry’s face seemed to brighten more than it was before. “I can stay here?”


“You didn’t think I was going to let you have run of the castle while most everyone was gone,” Severus scoffed. “There’s no idea what trouble you’ll get yourself in.”


Before the last word left his mouth, Harry had flung himself to his Godfather, wrapping his arms around him. 


Severus grunted as he patted Harry’s shoulders, then shooed him off towards the bathroom. 


After Harry got dressed in the provided pajamas, Severus was once again accosted with another bone-crushing hug when he showed Harry his new room. After spending ten minutes reassuring the child that it wasn’t a dream and that everything would be the same when he woke up, Severus got the child calm enough to go to sleep.


+0+0+0

Severus sat in his chair as he thought about everything that had happened the night before. He almost wanted to send for Albus and Minerva so they could get it out of their systems of making fun of him. The keyword: almost. Some things are better when it’s not first thing in the morning.


Severus’ quiet morning was thwarted when a phoenix Patronus, appeared next to him. Severus sighed as he let his head fall back against the back of his chair with a small thump.


Severus went to the floo and lit it up. When the fire turned green, Severus cast a cushioning charm on the floor in front of him, and called out Albus’ name.


“Dear boy,” Albus greeted.


“Albus, I appreciate that you want to check in and see how last night went. I know you want more fodder at my expense, but I would like to enjoy my morning coffee in peace.”


Albus cleared his throat covering up the chuckle that wanted to pass his lips. 


“Very well, son,” Albus said. Then his tone changed from jovial to serious. “When you do have a moment, it is imperative that I see you.”


“Understood,” Severus replied, shutting off the floo. 


Severus was about to sit back down in his chair when he heard noise from further in his chambers.


“Professor,” Harry called out.


“There is no reason to shout,” Severus said, walking to the end of the hallway. “I am right - oof.”


Once again, Severus’ spider monkey ran and collided with him.


“If you keep doing this,” Severus said, wrapping his arms around Harry’s shoulders, “I shall have to visit the Infirmary.”


“Why?” Harry asked, looking up at his safety. His arms still wrapped around Severus’ waist. 


“If you keep crashing into me, I shall have a bruise on my midriff.”


Harry lowered and buried his head in Severus’ robes, trying not to smile.


“Alright, spider monkey,” Severus said, patting the child’s back. “Are you ready for breakfast?”


Harry nodded against him and gave him one more squeeze before releasing Severus. The boy rushed over to the small table and sat down. 


When Severus sat down, Harry asked, “Professor, do you like the decorations?”


Severus was surprised by the question. He thought about how ostentatious his chambers looked, but he remembered how Harry looked while he was putting them up. Severus looked over at the child and saw that he was nervous about the answer. The child was biting his lip, and Severus guessed the child was wrapping his fingers in his pajama top. 


“Come here, spider monkey,” Severus said, scooting his chair out from under the table.


Harry went to Severus and stood in front of him.   


“It is a bit much,” Severus started, not wanting to lie to the child as he gripped Harry's waist and pulled the child closer to him. “But, I love it because you did it. And you had fun doing it.” 


A huge grin spread across the child’s face, and he wrapped his arms around his safety’s neck. Harry couldn’t help smiling harder when he felt his Godfather wrap his arms around him. Harry knew he would never get tired of that feeling. 


Security. Safety. Protection. Words Harry learned in Grammar school, he never truly understood the meaning of them until now. And he loved it. 


“Alright, spider monkey,” Severus said, patting Harry’s bottom. “Let’s have breakfast. I want to get your things from the tower.”


Harry let go of Severus and went back to his seat. He loved the nickname his safety had given him. Before, Harry heard Professor Snape mumble the words, but now he’s outright calling him “spider monkey.” He wanted to ask him why he called him that. But didn’t in the fear that his safety would stop doing it. Harry had a nickname, and he wanted to keep it as long as he could.


Severus knocked on the table, and two covered plates appeared in front of the two wizards. The amount of food that was on Harry’s plate was smaller. He knew the two of them would visit the idea of Harry going to the Infirmary. But the last thing Severus wanted was to drive up a panic attack like the previous day.


___000___000___000

Molly got up before everyone in the house; having eight mouths to feed, she knew that she needed to start early. She got dressed, and after kissing Arthur on his forehead, wishing him a good morning, she headed towards the kitchen. It had been several years since she had to cook for all her children. She knew it would be a lot of work and welcomed all of it. Her heart blossomed at the thought that all her children were home. 


When she got to the kitchen, she pulled out her wand and gathered the needed ingredients, pots, and pans. Once everything was cooking on the stove and baking in the oven, Molly started getting her Christmas decorations from the side cupboard. Today the family was going to start decorating. She’d ask Bill or Charlie to get a tree.


She heard footsteps overhead when she returned to the kitchen to check on the food. She smiled when she heard someone come down the stairs.


“Mum.”


“In the kitchen,” Molly called out. 


“Morning, mum,” Charlie said. He walked over to Molly and kissed her on the cheek. 


“Sleep okay?” Molly asked


“Yeah,” Charlie yawned, leaning against the counter. “It feels good to be back home.”


“I’m glad you’re home.”


“You need any help?” Charlie offered. 


“You’re sweet, love,” Molly said, patting his cheek. “Set up the table. I’m sure your brothers and sister will be down soon.”


More footsteps on the stairs. This time there was more than one person. Arthur walked in first, patting his second oldest on the shoulder when he passed him, then wrapped his arms around Molly and kissed her on the cheek.


The twins came in next. They were dragging their feet. It seemed like they just woke up.


“Morning, mum,” the twins said together as they dropped down on their chairs. 


“Are you sure you two are awake?” Charlie asked while laying the last of the plates on the table. 


“We’ll get back to you,” Fred answered while George yawned. 


“Morning, dad,” George mumbled before moving his plate and sliding his arms on the table so he could lay his head on his arms.


“You know better, George,” Molly admonished when she turned and saw one of her twins laying his head on the table. 


“He’s not George,” Fred quipped tiredly. “I am,” yawning out the last words.


“You know who I meant,” Molly said, not taking the bait. 


The twins loved messing around with everyone when it came to telling them apart. They loved that they were identical with no distinguishing marks.


George sat up, pouting. “No fair.”


“If you’re so tired,” Molly said, looking at her sons with her hand on her hips, “why didn’t you just stay asleep?”


“Are you kidding?” George said.


“We’d never get breakfast-” Fred started.


“If we slept in,” George finished. 


Charlie and Arthur snickered, trying not to interrupt the usual banter around the table. 


“Ron’s home,” the twins said together. 


Just then, Ron walked into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes. He just woke up.


“What’s going on?” Ron asked, stifling a yawn. 


“Nothing,” Fred said.


“But if Bill and Ginny want to eat,” George sighed, “they better get down here.”


“I don’t eat that much,” Ron snapped, sitting beside George. It didn’t have that much effect since he was yawning when he said it. 


“It’s okay, little brother,” George said, wrapping his arm around Ron’s shoulders. “We all know you can’t help it. You just like to eat.”


“A lot,” Fred contributed. 


“Stop picking on your brother,” Arthur lightly admonished. 


Bill stepped into the kitchen while carrying Ginny on his back. Ginny laid her head on Bill’s shoulder. Her eyes were still closed.


Arthur got up and relieved Bill of his delicate cargo.


“Bill, why did you wake her up?” Arthur said, standing her up and rubbing her back.


“Ron’s awake,” Bill said, shrugging his shoulders.


“Hey!” Ron snapped. “I don’t eat that much.”


“I know, dear,” Molly placated, kissing Ron on top of his head. “You just have a healthy appetite.”


“No one else has that much of an appetite,” Charlie said, rubbing Ron’s hair.


“Alright, leave Ron alone,” Molly said. “There is enough food for everyone. And I do believe that Ron isn’t the only bottomless pit at this table. You all have your fair share of full plates.”


Bill and Ginny took their seats, and Molly started bringing the food to the table. Everyone reached out, getting their mountain of food. Not one plate was bigger than the other. 


“Mum,” Ron said between bites. “Will you still call for Harry?”


“I will,” Molly confirmed. 


___000___000___000

Severus and Harry made their way up to Gryffindor tower. Once again, Harry was skipping and jumping like he was when they left the school the previous day. Harry worried that he would be lonely since Ron and the others went home for the holidays, but he was actually having a wonderful time with his Godfather. 


When they got inside the Gryffindor portrait, Severus stayed in the Common room while Harry retrieved his things. When Harry returned with his items, Severus didn’t like Harry's small number of items but didn’t say anything about it. 


“Professor,” Harry said when they returned to Severus’ chambers. “Can I go see Hagrid?”


“I don’t see why not,” Severus replied. “Let’s go put your things in your room and get your winter outerwear.”


“Thanks,” Harry said, smiling. He ran to his room, returning to the sitting room in record time. His cloak was hanging off one shoulder, his gloves were under his arm, and he was putting his hat on his head. 


Severus saw the mini struggle Harry was going through and gave the child some help. He grabbed the gloves and straightened his cloak, fastening the clasp. 


Handing Harry his gloves, “Go straight to Hagrid’s. And no venturing in the forest.”


“I won’t,” Harry said, going out of the door. “Bye, Professor.”


Severus shook his head. He knew he needed to go to Albus’ chambers. He was not in a hurry to get there. So he left his chambers and decided to walk. And if he happened to watch over Harry as he made his trek to the wooden cabin out on the grounds, so be it.


___000___000___000

Albus sat behind his desk, looking at the scroll Bill Weasley brought the previous day. Things needed to be clarified in regards to the contents of the parchment. 


Minerva was also in Albus’ chambers. Knowing they were about to have a difficult conversation, the elderly wizards decided it would be best if they came to Severus together. 


The chamber door opened, and Severus walked in. He saw that Minerva was there as well. Severus knew from experience that it wouldn't be good if those two were together to tell him something.


“What’s going on?” Severus asked.


“Come, sit,” Albus offered, holding out his hand to the empty chair next to Minerva. “Some new development has come to light.”


Severus didn’t reply, just sat down.


“Bill Weasley,” Albus continued, “stopped by yesterday afternoon with this parchment.”


“What is it?”


“It was a sort of addendum to the Potter’s Will,” Albus said, waving his hand, floating the scroll to Severus.


Severus opened the scroll and started reading. 


Albus and Minerva looked at each other. They both knew that Severus wouldn’t take this news well.


“What is the meaning of this?” Severus asked, waving the parchment. 


“Just what it says,” Albus said. “To protect Lily and James Potter, I placed them under the Fidilus Charm. We discussed a Secret Keeper. They needed to pick someone they could trust to keep them hidden.”


“I would have assumed that Black would have been chosen,” Severus said. 


It was well known that James Potter and Sirius Black were inseparable. They were best friends. It stood to reason Black would take on that role.


“I thought so, as well,” Albus agreed. “And I assume that was James’ thinking as well. If someone wanted to find the Potters, the best person to interrogate would be Sirius.”


Severus couldn’t argue with that. It was the logical choice. 


“But Black confessed,” Severus said. 


“Yes,” Albus agreed. “I need to look into this. Something about this whole thing seems strange.”


“Meaning?” Minerva asked, speaking for the first time.


“Sirius never had a trial,” Albus said. “If Sirius were guilty, that parchment,” pointing to the scroll, “would have been proof of that fact. But this was lost until the Potters’ Will was read. It didn’t show up to Gringotts until after we read the Will.”


“What are you searching for?” Minerva asked.


“If there had been a mistake made,” Albus said. “I don’t believe anyone asked Sirius what he meant when he confessed.”


Severus didn’t know how he felt about this new information. How would this new information affect what will happen to him and Harry? He didn’t want to admit to Albus and Minerva that he enjoyed having the child near him. He didn’t want to lose the boy. 


“Severus-” Minerva started but was cut off.


“I need to go through Harry’s things,” Severus said, standing. “I think there are more things that Harry might need.”


Before Severus could leave, the fire turned green, and Molly’s voice could be heard in the flames. 


“Professor Dumbledore,” Molly called. 


“I’m here,” Albus answered, getting up and walking over to the fireplace. 


“I tried reaching Professor McGonagall but didn’t get an answer,” Molly said.


“I’m here, Molly,” Minerva said, walking next to Albus.


“Ron told me that Harry was alone,” Molly started. “He wanted to know if it was alright if Harry could come over for a little bit.”


Albus looked over at Severus and saw his adopted son nod his head.


“That sounds like a lovely idea,” Albus said. “How about he comes over after lunch?”


“Sounds wonderful,” Molly said. “We’ll be taking the children to pick a tree. Plan on decorating today.”


“Wonderful,” Albus said, “This afternoon then.”


“I’ll send Bill over to pick him up,” Molly said before cutting off the floo. 


Albus walked back to his desk. 


“I’ll have Harry ready,” Severus said. “He’s visiting Hagrid.”


Severus walked out of Albus’ chambers.


___000___000___000

“Hey, Hagrid,” Harry called out as he walked down the snow-covered pathway towards the hut. 


Hagrid was sitting on the steps leading into the wooden hut. Fang was lying on the top steps. His ears perked up when he heard Harry’s voice. A loud bark came from the dog as he jumped off the steps, knocking Hagrid over and running towards Harry. 


“You mangy mutt,” Hagrid groused as he picked himself off and wiped the snow off his wooly coat.


Harry saw Fang coming and, like always, was getting ready to side-step the dog so he could hop on Fang’s back. When Harry got on the huge dog’s back, Fang stopped running. Harry and the dog roughhoused around Hagrid’s hut. Playing in the snow. 


Harry started making a snowman. He used to watch the other kids making them when he was in Grammar School. He’d told Professor Snape that he was used to the cold and wasn’t lying. But it didn’t mean he wasn't cold. Now with his new gloves, he could play in the snow and not worry about his fingers freezing. He would start on the next part when he gathered a good amount of snow. It never got that far because Fang would crash into the pile of snow. Harry would yell out Fang’s name but wasn’t too upset about it. He was having too much fun either way.


Hagrid called from the cabin, “Harry, why don’t you come in and have some tea?”


“Okay,” Harry said. He then looked over at Fang. The dog reached his shoulders. “Come on, Fang. Let’s get warmed up.”


The child and dog started their trek back towards Hagrid’s cabin.


___000___000___000

Severus figured Harry would still be with Hagrid. He knew that half-giant cared for the boy. Who wouldn’t? Harry was a loveable child. Not that he would admit that to Albus and Minerva. He had a reputation to uphold. 


When Severus walked out of the castle, he saw Harry building something in the snow. Severus could see from where he was standing that the child’s cheeks were pink from the cold. He was about to say something when he heard Hagrid yell for his godson to come in. 


Severus saw Harry running towards the cabin with the dog right beside him. Did that child have to run everywhere? Severus thought as he made his way towards the wooden cabin. 


Severus was within yelling distance from Harry and Fang when the dog turned and bit the side of Harry’s robes, knocking the small child into the snow. 


The Potions Master rushed to his godson, yelling for Hagrid to come out of his cabin. 


“Professor Snape,” Hagrid called when he walked out of the cabin.


“Get your dog away from Harry,” Severus growled. “He just attacked the child.”


“No,” Hagrid disagreed, walking over towards Harry and Fang. “Fang loves Harry.”


Severus and Hagrid got to the two in the snow simultaneously. Harry was lying face down in the snow, and Fang was on his side. Both men knelt down next to them. The boy began to stir when Severus put his hand on Harry’s back. Severus helped the child to stand. 


“Professor?” Harry said when he saw Professor Snape standing in front of him. 


“Are you alright?” Severus asked, worry in his tone. 


“Yeah,” Harry confirmed. “What happened?”


Severus carefully took the arm he saw Fang bite. He wanted to see the damage. There wasn’t a red tinge in the snow, so Severus knew the child wasn’t bleeding. That was a good sign. When he examined Harry’s robes, he saw there wasn’t a tear in the fabric.


Harry was in a daze when he first stood up, but then he remembered Fang. He quickly turned and saw his four-legged friend was still on his side. 


“No, no, no,” Harry cried, trying to get to Fang’s side. Severus’ grip on his arm was preventing the child from moving. 


“Harry be still,” Severus warned. “I must make sure you’re not hurt.”


“No,” Harry said, successfully wrenching his arm from Severus’ grasp. “Fang wouldn’t hurt me. He’s my friend.” He fell to his knees by the huge dog, rubbing his gloved hand over the dog’s fur. He looked up at Hagrid, “Is he okay?”


“I don’t know,” Hagrid replied. 


“We got to help him,” Harry said, panicking. He turned to his Godfather. “Please, Professor; you have to help him.”


Severus sighed. The last thing he cared about was that dog, but seeing the look of panic on Harry’s face, he knew he had to help. 


“Let’s take the dog inside,” Severus told Hagrid.


Hagrid picked up his dog and headed for his cabin. Harry in tow. Severus got up and was headed in the direction of the cabin when something caught his eye.


“Tami,” Severus called out.


A small house-elf popped in front of Severus.


“Yes, Master Sev’us,” she squeaked quietly. 


“There is something I need you to do,” Severus ordered. 


He stood outside with Tami for a short moment before he walked inside the cabin.


It was toasty-warm inside the cabin. Severus knew he could get a better look at Harry’s arm. He had the child take off his robes and stand before him.


There wasn’t any damage to the child’s clothes or skin. Severus waved his hand over Harry’s arm and felt a small magical signature. He looked over at Hagrid and saw the half-giant placed Fang on the floor. Fang started to move around. He looked disoriented. 


“I don’t think Fang is too hurt,” Hagrid said.  


Severus could hear the hopefulness in Hagrid’s tone. He went to the dog. Something wasn’t adding up. If Fang didn’t attack him, it would only mean that the dog protected the child. The Potions Master knelt by Fang and waved his hand over the dog. He felt the same signature.    


___000___000___000

Severus and Harry walked back to the castle.


“Professor.”


Severus looked down at the child.


“Do you think Fang will be alright?” Harry asked.


“I’m sure you and that dog will be able to roughhouse again soon,” Severus sighed. “Now, for the reason, I came to get you. How would you like to go to the Burrow and visit Ron?”


Harry's face lit up. “Really?”


“Yes,” Severus said. “Mrs. Weasley called and invited you.”


“Wicked,” Harry cheered. 


The two of them continued on their way towards Severus’ chambers. At first, Severus wasn’t too keen on Harry leaving. When Molly asked, he couldn’t help the small tinge of jealousy that blossomed. But after what he just witnessed outside, it might be in Harry’s best interest if he did leave the castle for a bit.  


“Will you come?” Harry asked once they walked into Severus’ chambers.


The question surprised Severus. It made that tinge of jealousy completely disappear. Just the fact that the child asked made him want to smile. 


“No,” Severus said, shaking his head. “I have a few things to do here.”


“Will I be able to come back?” Harry asked. There was a tinge of worry that laced the child’s voice. 


“Harry,” Severus said, kneeling down in front of the child. “If you are worried about your decorations going to waste,” Severus quipped, “then let me put that matter to rest. We are spending Christmas together. You are going for a visit, not to stay. I’m sure you would like to be with Mr. Weasley for a while.”


Harry nodded. 


“Good,” Severus said, standing up. “Then, I want you to have fun. We will have lunch, and then we’ll go to the Headmaster’s chambers. Bill Weasley’s picking you up.”


___000___000___000

“I am getting tired of your failures.”


“Please, my lord, I am trying.”


“NOT HARD ENOUGH!”


Quirrell fell to the floor, writhing in pain.


“Please, my lord,” Quirrell cried. “Spare me. I’ll do better.”


“You’re wearing down my patience.”


The pain stopped. Quirrell was panting on the floor. Sweat coated his skin. Shakily, he stood and slowly walked out of the empty classroom. 


There was a small form hiding in the cupboard. When the coast was clear, a small popping sound could be heard.


___000___000___000

Bill and Harry left through the floo. Before the two left, there was another round of reassurances that Harry would return and Severus would be there waiting for him. Unlike in his chambers, Severus had an audience. 


When the fire turned back an orange-red, Severus turned to see two old geezers beaming at him. 


“Will you two knock it off,” Severus sneered. 


“What?” Minerva feigned innocence. “I haven’t said anything.”


“You don’t have to, you old cat. It’s all over your face.”


“It’s on yours as well,” Albus said, smiling. “You’re blushing.”


“Enough about me,” Severus snapped. “There is something more important. Harry was attacked again.”


The jovial atmosphere changed instantly. 


“What has happened?” Albus asked. 


“He was roughhousing with that behemoth that giant calls a dog,” Severus said. “Then it appeared to have attacked Harry.”


“Was Harry hurt?” Minerva asked, worry in her tone.


“No,” Severus replied. “The dog took most of the hex. He’s resting in Hagrid’s cabin.”


___000___000___000

Bill and Harry stepped out of the hearth. Well, Bill stepped out. The boy would have fallen out if Bill weren’t holding on to Harry’s shoulder. 


Harry didn’t have time to worry about his entrance because a group of red-heads swarmed him. 


“Harry. Harry,” Ron called out. 


“Heya, Ron,” Harry said smiling. 


Ron gripped Harry’s arm and started pulling the smaller boy further into the house. 


“Ron, stop that,” Molly admonished. “Let the child at least take off his cloak.”


Ron let go of Harry’s arm, looking sheepish. “Sorry about that, Harry.”


“It’s fine,” Harry said as he pulled off his winter things. He didn’t understand why he needed his winter things but didn’t argue when he was told to bring them.  


“Well, hello there, Harry,” Molly said, walking over to the small child. 


“Hi, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry greeted, holding out his hand.


“None of that,” Molly said before she grabbed Harry’s shoulders and brought him in for a hug.


Harry had never felt this before. Yes, he got hugs from his Godfather, but this was different. When he got hugs from Professor Snape, he felt safe. The hug he was getting now; he felt warm. He inadvertently tightened his hold on Molly. He didn’t want it to end.


Molly figured Harry never had a motherly hug. She could feel the way the child was gripping her apron. The child needed this. She would let Harry have this. She slowly twisted one way, then another, giving Harry the comfort she knew he craved. Molly kissed the crown of his head as she held Harry in a tight embrace.

TBC 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3599