True Heart by mandancie
Summary: Starting a new adventure, Harry learns there's more to life than what he's seen.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Out of Character, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 100574 Read: 59874 Published: 12 Jul 2020 Updated: 07 Mar 2024
Chapter 3: Flying Class by mandancie

The rest of the week passed much better than Harry’s first day. He didn’t want to get on any of his Professors’ bad sides. His only problem was when he had Defense class. He would leave the classroom either nauseated or with a massive headache. Not wanting to draw attention to himself, Harry sat in the back of class. By the next week, Harry learned to listen just enough to know what they were studying and then read up on the chapter during homework. Sometimes, Hermione would share her notes with him.

Potions: Harry tried to stay as far away from Professor Snape’s ire. He would come into class, keep to himself, and try and do his assignments the best he could. Not that it always worked. His returned work would always have some disparaging remark on it. Talking about his writing, spelling, or if he even opened the book to read it.

Harry sighed as he looked at his newest returned paper.

“Did you even hear what you were supposed to do for homework? Or are you such a spoiled brat that thinks you’re above my classroom rules?”

Harry tried to keep his tears at bay. He didn’t know he copied the board wrong. Could he ever catch a break? He just wanted one place where he wasn’t a freak. But he can’t do anything right.

Severus was ecstatic that this was his last class before the weekend. After grading those horrid papers, Severus felt like he needed some alone time. Maybe take a walk around the grounds. Severus almost smirked at the idea but stopped himself since he still had dunderheads in his class.

After passing out their previous work, Severus had a bit of satisfaction seeing the ones he knew didn’t put in the effort to do the work, get the grade they deserved.

He looked at Potter and saw something he didn’t expect to see. He assumed the arrogant boy would pitch a fit when he saw his grade, thinking he was above everyone else who did the work. Just like his father who would gripe if he didn’t get the grade he wanted even though he didn’t put the effort in.

“Come on, Harry,” Ron said, putting his satchel over his shoulder. “We have a fun class next.”

Harry looked up at Ron. “What class is next?”

“Flying,” Ron said. He had a huge grin on his face.

Harry’s dreary feeling instantly vanished. They would talk at night about flying class.

Harry and Ron rushed out of the room heading to their common room.

___000___000___000

The first years of all the houses were to meet at the Quidditch pitch. All the children were talking and laughing with each other as they walked to the pitch. Harry, Ron, Neville, Dean, and Seamus were standing together.

There were two rows of brooms laid out on the ground. A woman walked onto the pitch.

“Everyone, settle down,” said Madam Hooch. “I want you to step to the left side of your broom.”

All the first years did as they were told.

“Raise your right hand over your broom and say up.”

There was a chorus of “ups” said around the pitch. A few of the students were able to get their broom in their hands after the first time of saying it: Hannah Abbott, Draco Malfoy, Susan Bones, Blaise Zabini, Theodore Nott and Harry Potter.

After everyone had their brooms in their hands, they were told their next steps. Draco, Pansy, Millicent, and Theodore were huddled together, snickering.

“Quiet down,” Hooch admonished, walking up and down. “Now get on your brooms, hover, and come down.”

When Rolanda had her back turned, Draco waved his wand and a few students started to rise in the air.

“Hey!”

“Help!”

“What’s going on?”

Rolanda turned and saw that four students were in the air.

“What do you think you are doing?” Rolanda reprimanded, walking towards the group of kids. “Get back down here.”

“How?” a Ravenclaw student screeched.

“Lean forward,” Rolanda said. “You will lower down to the ground.”

All the students did as they were told, except one. For some reason Neville’s broom wouldn’t do what he wanted. Neville would lean forward but the broom would not lower. Everyone could see that Neville was trying to lower himself. Neville’s chest was so close to the broom handle that he almost slipped off it. The other students were screaming and groaning because they were scared that Neville would fall off. He was so high in the air.

Neville continued to get higher and higher, screaming for help and to be let down. Then his broom zoomed around the pitch. Weaving back and forth through the stands and the goals at the end of the pitch. Neville tried to get a handle on his broom, but it didn’t respond to him.

Harry was so scared for his dormmate and friend. He, like all the others, was cringing when it looked like Neville was going to hit the stands or the Quidditch goal posts. But Harry saw something out of the corner of his eye. Draco had his wand out by his leg waving it inconspicuously. Looking from Draco to Neville, Harry realized that Draco was doing something.

Harry walked over to Draco.

“What are you doing?” Harry demanded.

Draco looked at Harry with disdain.

“What do you care?” Draco said. “Just because you’re the Boy-Who-Lived doesn’t mean you can talk to me like that.”

Harry shoved Draco. Both boys were surprised by that action. Harry couldn’t believe that he actually pushed Draco. Usually, he would be the one being shoved. Draco, stumbling back, looked at Harry.

Screaming and a loud thump caught Draco’s and Harry’s attention. They saw everyone crowding around. Harry rushed over. Madam Hooch stood up, cradling Neville’s arm in her hand.

“Put your brooms on the ground,” Hooch ordered. “I’ll be back. I better not see anyone flying around.”

Everyone did as they were told. They watched as Neville and the Quidditch referee walked toward the castle. The students stepped away. Draco smirked as he walked over to where Neville fell.

“Well,” Draco said, sounding smug. Everyone turned and looked at Draco. “It seems the clumsy disgrace of a wizard dropped something.”

Picking up a clear ball, Draco sat on his broom and kicked off.

“Longbottom already can’t fly, the fat arse,” Draco smirked. “He can’t keep hold of his own things. Let’s see if he can get this off the roof.”

Draco flew around them and headed towards the top of the arch walkway.

Not thinking, Harry got on his broom and took off as well.

“Give it back!” Harry screamed, gripping the broom handle, trying to stay on.

Draco was stable sitting on his broom. He was tossing the ball from one hand to the other.

“What are you going to do, Potter?” Draco teased, pretending to toss the ball towards Harry, causing Harry to almost slip off the broom, trying to grab it.

“Give it here,” Harry said.

“Well, since you want so bad,” Draco said. “Catch.”

Draco pitched the ball as far as he could. Without thinking, Harry took off after it. Harry flew as fast as he could. This was someone else’s property. No one can take someone’s things. He wouldn’t sit by and watch someone else get bullied. He was getting closer and closer.

Harry allowed himself to smile. He reached out and grabbed the glass ball. He turned around. He was a little shocked that he was alone in the air and so far away from the ground. He didn’t see Madam Hooch, so he rushed back to where the others were standing.

Landing, Harry had his broom in one hand and the ball in the other. Hermione and Ron ran over to him.

“That was bloody brilliant, Harry,” Ron praised.

“No, it wasn’t,” Hermione said to Ron and then turned to Harry. “Have you lost your mind? It wasn’t worth it.”

Before Harry could respond there was another’s voice that sounded over the others.

“Mr. Potter.”

Harry turned and saw Professor Snape walking towards the class.

“Believing you’re above the rules,” Severus said. “Follow me.”

Severus turned and headed back to the castle. Harry looked at Ron and Hermione and saw the worried look on their faces. Ron reached out and took Harry’s broom. Harry followed the Professor.

Severus couldn’t believe it. He knew that Potter wanted to flaunt his celebrity status, but to blatantly do something Severus knew the boy wasn’t supposed to do was just too much. Severus could hear the boy rushing behind him.

Even though the boy is small, if he’s going to do what he wants then he can suffer the consequences.

When they got to his office, Severus held the door open, waiting for Potter to enter.

Harry walked into the office. He knew he was in trouble. When wasn’t he in trouble when it came to Professor Snape? The walk was stressful. What would Professor Snape do to him? What if he was made to leave? He only wanted to stop that boy from bullying people.

When Harry walked into the office, Harry could feel his heart pounding in his chest, and it wasn’t from the walk, or jog, down to the dungeon. Harry could feel Professor Snape walk past him. He couldn’t help the chill that crawled up his spine feeling the slight breeze from the Professor’s cloak.

“I know you believe that you are above the rules,” Severus said, leaning against his desk.

Harry raised his head so that he was looking at Snape. Harry felt so small standing in front of the man. Snape towered above him.

“I saw Madam Hooch walking Longbottom to the Infirmary,” Severus said. “Were there rules for how you were to act while she was gone?”

Harry, biting his lower lip, lowered his head. He nodded his head.

“My eyes are up here,” Severus barked. Harry’s head shot up with great speed, Severus was worried that the boy hurt his neck. “A verbal answer.”

“Yes, sir,” Harry softly said.

“And what were the rules?”

“Th..that we…”

“Speak up,” Severus growled.

Harry instinctively stepped back a little. He swallowed and tried again.

“That we were to keep out brooms on the ground.”

“And why didn’t you do that?” Severus asked, crossing his arms.

Harry kept silent.

Severus waved his hand. A wooden chair floated over to the Potions Master. Sitting down in the chair afforded Severus to be able to look at Potter at eye-level.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said, looking at the child. “You can answer my questions now, or you can wait until after your punishment.”

Harry’s eyes widened when he heard that. Harry wanted to run. He didn’t want to be beaten. It’s been a while since he was beaten by his uncle. For the few weeks he’s been in Hogwarts, he thought he was free from beatings. But when did anything ever go easy for Harry?

“I will ask you again,” Severus said, folding his arms. “Why didn’t you follow the rules?”

At first, Harry was silent. Hoping that the beating won’t be too bad, Harry spoke about everything. He talked about the enchanted brooms, him noticing what Malfoy was doing, to Longbottom’s fall, to Malfoy again taking the glass ball. Harry stretched out his hand that was still holding the ball.

Severus looked at the Remembrall and back to the panicked green eyes of the boy standing in front of him.

“Step to me,” Severus said.

Harry wanted to run. He turned and looked at the still opened door. His feet didn’t move, but he entertained the thought of wondering how fast he could run. Self-preservation: Harry didn’t want to be beaten.

Before the thought matured, the door swung closed and there was a faint click. Harry turned back to the Professor and saw that he was sitting in the chair now holding his wand in his hand.

“To me, Mr. Potter,” Severus said again. “Don’t make me come get you.”

Harry bit his lip as he slowly took the first step towards his impending doom. When he was close enough, Severus reached out for the boy’s wrist. Severus was shocked at how small and thin the child’s wrist felt.

Severus pulled Harry to stand in front. Harry was surprised at how gentle it was.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said. “You are just like everyone here. You are not above the rules. Rules are there to keep you safe. I hope that this will put a deterrent for you so you will learn to think before you do anything as foolheartedly as fly your broom at top speed towards the castle almost smashing that dunderheaded brain of yours on the wall.”

Harry was surprised at how softly the Professor was talking to him. He felt his mouth go slack. He never had someone speak this softly before a beating. Usually, Uncle Vernon would yell and scream until his face was a deep shade of red, almost purple.

Harry was taking out of his musing when he felt his robe being taken off and then being lifted and laid across the Professor’s lap. Harry waited. He knew the pain was going to come. He learned a long time how to take a beating. He didn’t know if Professor Snape didn’t like someone crying out, so Harry felt it would be best to stay quiet, no matter what happened.

The first smack surprised Harry. He gasped. Not wanting to make another sound, Harry bit his lip.

The smacks rained down. The pain grew, but Harry kept his mouth closed. No matter how much it hurt, he would not make a sound. He couldn’t stop the tears though.

Severus could feel how tensed Harry was on his lap. He was still trying to get past the issue of how light the boy felt. It’s been a few weeks since he heard Minerva and Poppy talk about getting Potter to come to the Infirmary.

Severus sighed as he decided to take the matter in his hands. He would make sure that Harry goes.

After twelve swats, Severus rested his hand on Harry’s back. Severus rubbed the child’s back, trying to get the boy to relax, but Potter remained tensed under his hand. The boy was breathing hard. Severus reached under Potter’s arms and lifted him off his lap.

Harry’s face was wet with tears and mucus. Severus was surprised to see how wet the boy’s face was. Harry raised his arm, so he could wipe his nose; Severus popped the boy’s hand preventing the boy doing so.

“Ill-mannered child,” Severus mumbled, pulling a handkerchief from his pocket.

Harry’s face crumpled up in agony. The crying boy’s mouth was open, but no sound was coming out, bringing both of his arms up to cover his face. When Harry blurrily saw something white coming toward him, the child turned to run out of the room. Harry learned a long time ago, after a beating was finished, if he stayed close by, there would be more pain.

Harry tried to open the door. When it wouldn’t open, the boy went to the corner of the room. He slid down to the floor, bringing his knees to his chest and wrapping his small arms around him. He tried to keep the noise as low as he could, but a few hiccups and small whines came out.

Severus did not understand what just happened. All the times he had to issue physical punishment to a student, none of them acted the same as this boy. He was still sitting in the chair when Potter tried to leave the room. He thought about the pop on Potter’s hand. It was lighter than the swats he administered during the spanking. Harry made more of a reaction to that.

Something else bothered Severus was the lack of noise the boy made. The Potions Master spanked some brats and it was basically a fight. The errant student would slide around or twist their hips so to avoid the swat. He had some that gripped his pant leg so tightly, Severus had bruises. With Potter the only sign that he was getting spank was how tense the boy was.

Severus stood up and walked over to the small boy curled on the floor like a deflated ball. Severus knelt by the boy and put his hand on Harry’s shoulder.

Harry recoiled from the touch, flinching so hard that he banged his head on the wall.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry,” Harry muttered. “I did…n’t m…ean to ma…ke any n…noise. Please don’t hurt me. I d…on’t want an…an..ymore. I’ll be good. I won’t do it a…gain. I’m sorry.”

Between the boy’s low voice and crying and hyperventilating, Severus didn’t get everything the boy was saying.

“Potter,” Severus said, putting his hand on the boy’s thin shoulder. “Calm down.”

“I’m sorry,” Harry mumbled.  

Severus sighed as he looked down at the distraught child. All he wanted to do was punish the child for breaking the rules and putting himself in danger then send him on his way. Now, it looked like he must calm him down before he let the boy go.

Putting his hand on the child’s head, Severus started rubbing Potter’s scalp hoping to calm the child down. Severus looked around as if someone would see what he was doing. Shaking his head, Severus knew that if Albus or Minerva saw what he was doing he would not live it down.

Harry tensed when he felt a hand on his head, but when he felt the fingers rubbing his head, it actually started to soothe him. Harry wanted to look and see who was trying to calm him down, but he knew if he looked there would be no one there. It was just his imagination.

Severus brought his hand down the boy’s head until he was at Harry’s neck. He could feel that Harry was still tense.

“Calm down, Potter,” Severus said, softly. “Take deep breaths. If you keep this up, you’re going to make yourself sick.”

Severus could feel that Harry was trying to follow his instructions. After a few minutes, Severus’ knees began hurting. Standing up, Severus heard something he didn’t expect. Since he moved his hand, Harry started moaning at the lost of comfort.

“Stand up, Potter,” Severus demanded, though the tone wasn’t harsh.

Harry looked up. Usually Professor Snape looked at him with contempt. He had his hand out for Harry to grab. Harry looked at the hand for a second then slowly reached out for it.

Severus wrapped his hand around the child’s smaller hand. The Potions Professor helped lift Harry off the floor. It still puzzled Severus at how light Potter was.

They walked over to the chair that was still in the middle of the room. Severus sat down with Harry standing in front of him. Severus conjured a warm fluff flannel and slowly wiped the child’s face. Looking at the boy, he saw that there were small specs of blood on his lower lip. Severus sat back and looked at the small boy in front of him. Really looked. Maybe, he was hasty with his assessment of Harry Potter.

“Are you calm now?” Severus asked.

Harry, still hitch in his breath, nodded.

“Verbal, please.”

“Y..yes, sir.”

“Wonderful, now, can you tell me what that was all about?”

“Nothing, sir,” Harry said, trying to take a step back, but realized Professor Snape still had his hand. “Sorry, sir.”

“There is nothing to apologize for,” Severus said. “I want to know about your reaction.”

Harry looked down to the floor, biting his lip. How could he tell the Professor that hated him that it was his uncle that would beat him and hurt him until he got tired? That the reason for his tears was that even if the Professor hated him, he whooped him but didn’t really hurt him? That it was actually comforting feeling the Professor’s hand in his hair and on his neck?

Harry was brought out of his musing when he felt a finger under his chin, lifting his head. Emerald eyes met onyx. He felt a finger gently pulling his lower lip from between his teeth.

“You’ve damaged your lip enough,” Severus said. “I want to fix that up before you leave.”

Never had anyone been this gentle with him after beating him. Again, tears burned his throat. This was a feeling Harry didn’t want to lose. He wanted to wrap his arms around it and never, ever, let go.

Looking at his Potion Professor, he didn’t scare Harry like he did at the beginning of the year. It was a calm tenderness that Harry didn’t know he craved.

Severus saw the child’s eyes almost teared up, so he abandoned his questioning, rather focusing to getting the child’s lip cured so he could send the child on his way.

“Tami,” Severus called out.

A small elf popped next to Harry, startling the child. Severus had to grab Harry’s arm to keep the boy upright.

“Yes, Master Sev’us,” Tami said, tilting her head down.

“Go get my bruise balm.”

Tami vanished and a second later popped back, giving Severus what he asked for.

Harry stared where the elf disappeared from. Shock and wonder were in the boy’s eyes. Harry finally stopped looking at the spot when Snape turned his head back to face the man. Harry made no effort to move while Severus treated the boy’s lip.

Only when Severus finished and was capping the lid did Harry find his voice.

“What was that?” Harry asked, his voice a lot louder than it was a moment ago.

“That was Tami. She’s a house-elf,” Severus said. “Now, Mr. Potter.” Harry gave the Potion Master his complete attention. “I don’t want to see you disobeying a Professor again. Am I understood?”

“Yes, sir,” Harry said meekly.

“And if I catch you doing something else that will compromise your safety or the safety of others, you will get more of what you got today.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I expect you back here tonight,” Severus said, standing up.

“Tonight?” Harry asked. “Why?”

“Did you think that spanking was all the punishment you were going to get?” Severus asked, arching an eyebrow. “Tonight. After dinner.”

Harry took that as a dismissal and left the dungeon.

___000___000___000

Harry’s detention wasn’t as bad as he thought it would be. He only had to do lines.

I will not be a dunderhead by flying full speed towards the castle.

After that detention, things started to get into a regular structure. Harry was becoming more and more comfortable with his living arrangements. No cupboards. No chores. No cooking.

Harry and Ron were sitting in the Great Hall during study time when someone walked up on them.

“Hey, Harry.”

Harry and Ron turned to see a taller, brown-haired boy standing behind them.

“Yeah,” Harry said.

“I wanted to talk to you for a moment. Can you come with me?”

Harry and Ron looked at each other. They both shrugged and Harry got up and followed the older boy out of the Great Hall.

When they got to an unused classroom, the older boy started talking.

“So, Harry, I’m Oliver Wood. I heard about the first-year’s flying class.”

Harry got a little embarrassed. A lot of people were coming up to him talking about that class. Some good comments, some bad. Harry wondered which one this would be.

“I was talking with the rest of the team and they thought it would be a good idea,” Oliver said. “So, I went to Professor McGonagall and ask if it was alright.”

“Huh,” Harry said. “Idea? What idea? What team?”

“Quidditch,” Oliver said, excitedly. “We need a Seeker. Gryffindor hasn’t had a good Seeker since Charlie Weasley graduated. And from what I heard you’re a natural on a broom.”

“Okay,” Harry said, skeptically.

“Do you want to?” Oliver asked.

“Do I want to what?” Harry said, not getting what Oliver was talking about.

“Join the team,” Oliver said, smiling.

“You want me to join the Quidditch team?” Harry was shocked.

Harry walked back to the Great Hall with a huge grin on his face. He was going to be on a team. The house team wanted him. Harry loved this feeling. He remembered all too well when he was in his old school, no one would pick him to play with. It always hurt when he would watch the other kids play and he was made to sit on the sidelines.

___000___000___000

Severus was sitting in his armchair, peacefully reading an article from the recent Potions Journal with a small glass of Firewhiskey sitting on the small table next to him.

Severus took a sip of his drink, letting the slight burn settle down his throat. He sighed. This week was a wonderful week. It has been seven days. A record. There weren’t huge mishaps during his lessons. There were just a few minor mistakes that were easily fixed with his guidance. Longbottom’s practical wasn’t too awful. No one had detention with him. He did his obligation of the nightly checking of the corridors for the week. It was a peaceful night.

The flames turned green and someone walked out of the fireplace.

Severus lowered his head as he closed the journal, laying it on his lap.

It was a peaceful night.

“What do you want, Minerva?” Severus asked, not even looking at the witch.

“I just had to share the news,” Minerva said, cheerily.

Severus rolled his eyes. Great, she’s in a good mood.

“What do you want, Minerva?” Severus asked again.

“I’ve gotten a new Seeker,” Minerva said, sitting down on the sofa next to Severus.

“Wonderful,” Severus said, dryly. “Goodnight, Minerva.”

Severus opened his journal and started reading again.

“I guess you wouldn’t be too happy about my new Seeker,” Minerva said, sitting back on the sofa.

“You’re right,” Severus said. “I wouldn’t, nor do I care. It’s not like it will change the aspect of the outcome.” Severus smirked. He knew saying that would upset the Transfigurations Professor. “Good night, Minerva.”

“Well, I think this time I will have an advantage. As it is in his blood,” Minerva said, nonchalantly. “And I think you will care.”

Severus sighed, “Why?”

“Mr. Potter is my new Seeker,” Minerva said, smugly.

Severus crushed the journal that was in his hands.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3599